Shapeshift and Mimic

These questions about M&M's first edition were posed to Steve Kenson--and then he answered them! Steve's now providing official answers to second edition questions, but we've archived this forum for you to search.
Patriarch
Compatriot
Compatriot

Shapeshift and Mimic

Postby Patriarch » Mon May 23, 2005 12:55 pm

I have some Shapeshift questions, which may be repeats for you, but I was unable to find the answers I seek.

1. You have said that Shapeshift with Mimic (powers) would allow a shapeshifter to take the form of an animal and gain its size. To do so, would the character need the following build?
Shapeshift [2pp/rank]
extra: Mimic (powers) [1pp/rank]
extra: All Attributes [1pp/rank]
extra: Extended Powers x5 [5pp/rank] (to mimic Growth, which is 6pp)
for a total of 9pp/rank

2. Would such a character need to touch a template animal, since Mimic requires you to touch the object of your mimic?

3. If so, how would someone who wanted to shapeshift into mythical beasts do so? I can see someone not taking Mimic but taking Growth, Shrinking, Movement, Protection, etc. as extras of Shapeshifting, but this does not take into account other abilities of a creature that you might want (like a fire-breathing dragon).

4. Why does the Protection extra for Shapeshift mention that this extra would allow you to use the Protection from Growth? Shouldn't the Growth extra allow you to use its Protection?
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Steve Kenson
Mastermind

Re: Shapeshift and Mimic

Postby Steve Kenson » Tue May 31, 2005 6:34 am

1. You have said that Shapeshift with Mimic (powers) would allow a shapeshifter to take the form of an animal and gain its size.

Use the Growth and Shrinking extras of Shapeshift to allow a shapeshifter to change size.

2. Would such a character need to touch a template animal, since Mimic requires you to touch the object of your mimic?

No, although the GM may require the character to have at least seen the creature before.

3. If so, how would someone who wanted to shapeshift into mythical beasts do so? I can see someone not taking Mimic but taking Growth, Shrinking, Movement, Protection, etc. as extras of Shapeshifting, but this does not take into account other abilities of a creature that you might want (like a fire-breathing dragon).

Taking on mythic or fantastic forms is a borderline case that's up to the GM. Generally, so long as the character has the necessary extras, it's fine. In the case you mention, the character could take on all the traits of a dragon except for its powers like fire-breathing unless he has the Mimic extra.

4. Why does the Protection extra for Shapeshift mention that this extra would allow you to use the Protection from Growth? Shouldn't the Growth extra allow you to use its Protection?

Its broken out of the Growth extra on Shapeshift for cost reasons. Otherwise the Growth extra grants too many benefits.
Steve Kenson - steve@greenronin.com
Green Ronin Publishing

Return to “Official Rules Questions (1e Archive)”