[GGtG] Device Levels - how are they used?

These questions about M&M's first edition were posed to Steve Kenson--and then he answered them! Steve's now providing official answers to second edition questions, but we've archived this forum for you to search.
Dr. Nuncheon
Sidekick
Sidekick

[GGtG] Device Levels - how are they used?

Postby Dr. Nuncheon » Sat May 07, 2005 5:09 am

I think I'm missing something with Device Levels and how they interact with the two new Gadget powers. Page 19 says that a device gets 5 points to spend per power level.

When does one use a device's "power level"? Scientific Genius, the new Gadgets power, and Spontaneous Inventor all talk about points directly and not a device's power level.

If I have Spontaneous Inventor at +10, I can "duplicate a single gadget or piece of high tech gear with a point cost" of 5. Does that mean I can basically make a level 1 gadget - say, a sonic pistol (Energy Blast +5, Device) or do I get 25 points to spend on a level 5 device?

If it's the former, then as a level 1 device, would I be limited to a EB +1? Also, if it is the former, then would a pen-sized laser (EB 5 = 2/lvl, device -1/lvl, size +2/lvl = 15 points) actually be more expensive than the ability to shoot the same laser beam from my eyes? (EB 5, no modifiers = 10 points).

Signed,
Confused in Pittsburgh

Steve Kenson
Mastermind

Postby Steve Kenson » Mon May 09, 2005 5:17 pm

Device power level is an optional shorthand for describing a device. It's not used in the powers just because it's optional. You can safely ignore it if you don't want the complexity of regulating device power levels alongside character power levels.
Steve Kenson - steve@greenronin.com
Green Ronin Publishing

Return to “Official Rules Questions (1e Archive)”