Penetrating Attack and Ranged Feats

These questions about M&M's first edition were posed to Steve Kenson--and then he answered them! Steve's now providing official answers to second edition questions, but we've archived this forum for you to search.
Iron Poet
Zealot
Zealot

Penetrating Attack and Ranged Feats

Post by Iron Poet » Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:41 am

Posted this on the other Rules board, but figured I'd see if the Man Himself would have any insight... :)

Okay, so I have a player who has a PC that's fully Incorporeal. That's not the big issue.

I don't have a book in front of me, but his primary method of attack is a Mental Blast. Fine, but he bought Penetrating Attack x5. I seem to recall that this violates the maximum effective power rank rule somewhere, but the PC says that since it's a feat, it doesn't matter. Any thoughts?

Also, do ranged feats (such as Far Shot, etc.) work with Mental Blast?
... and then the destruction began.

Steve Kenson
Mastermind

Post by Steve Kenson » Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:31 am

See the errata to Penetrating attack, which essentially says that it converts Protection into Amazing Save (damage); this may address your problem.

Generally, ranged feats don't apply to mental powers since those powers have a line of sight range (thus far shot can't really improve its range). You can allow things like Point Blank Shot, if you wish, although I generally just disallow ranged attack feats and mental powers for simplicity's sake.
Steve Kenson - steve@greenronin.com
Green Ronin Publishing