Protection vs. Force Field

These questions about M&M's first edition were posed to Steve Kenson--and then he answered them! Steve's now providing official answers to second edition questions, but we've archived this forum for you to search.
BizarroCub
Bystander
Bystander

Protection vs. Force Field

Post by BizarroCub » Sat Jul 17, 2004 5:43 pm

Alright...this is my question...

Does the bonus to your Dmg Save from Force Field apply as a "stack" with Protection?

So, I have a Character with Energy Field with the Protection Extra - 8 and a Force Field 8, and Amazing Save DMG 2.

From what my friend was explaining to me, you can't have Protection and Force Field, because since they both apply to a Damage Save, you can't have it higher than your PL level.

However, my argument was at a.) Protection effects an attack before you even get to the DMG save and a Force Field is an addition to your DMG save.

I'm confused...that doesn't make sense to me. It seems that's the same problem that has been discussed about Penetrating Attack.

HELP!

Steve Kenson
Mastermind

Post by Steve Kenson » Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:40 am

Force Field provides a Protection bonus. It stacks with Protection, but only up to the PL limit.

Powers affecting your damage save, whether by reducing the DC or improving your save bonus, are considered the same type of bonus for PL stacking.
Steve Kenson - steve@greenronin.com
Green Ronin Publishing