extras with trigger extra, whats the point?

These questions about M&M's first edition were posed to Steve Kenson--and then he answered them! Steve's now providing official answers to second edition questions, but we've archived this forum for you to search.
hobgoblin
Groupie
Groupie

extras with trigger extra, whats the point?

Post by hobgoblin » Sat Jul 17, 2004 12:23 pm

with a extra you seem to allready have the trigger option as a extra by it self is of no use as it is a addon to the existing power and in my view cant be used on its own (anything else moves it dangerusly close to being a expensive variant of a secondary effect power stunt. and if so then why would anyone bother to pick up said power stunt type?). it seems to me that its more like its used to put a limit on a extra without droping the cost of the power overall.

so i pick up energy blast and put say fatigue on top of it. to me then it seems that i can use energy blast with or without fatigue but cant use fatigue on its own. adding triggerd to that have no meaning to me as triggerd states that i can suspend the triggering with a free action and if so then its just the same effect that im allready getting but with +1 on the cost pr rank of the power. only in the combo with the limit "only along with base power" does it make sense and then its more like a mindfuck to get a side effect to the main power without altering the cost of said power at all...

Steve Kenson
Mastermind

Post by Steve Kenson » Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:44 am

I'm sorry, but I'm afraid I don't understand exactly what you're asking.

No, Triggered cannot be used on its own, because it specifically must be applied to another power/effect.

In your example, Fatigue is not an extra, it's a flaw, so Triggered doesn't really apply to it in any way.

If you'd like to rephrase your question, I'll do my best to answer it.
Steve Kenson - steve@greenronin.com
Green Ronin Publishing