damage saves and armor/protection: is it 'stacking'?

These questions about M&M's first edition were posed to Steve Kenson--and then he answered them! Steve's now providing official answers to second edition questions, but we've archived this forum for you to search.
Crimson_sweater
Bystander
Bystander

damage saves and armor/protection: is it 'stacking'?

Post by Crimson_sweater » Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:53 pm

Hey, Steve. this is my first post here.

Quick question. My buddy and I were character testing and we stumbled upon something we were a bit confoosed about.

Ok, here's the setup: my buddy Chris has this dragon character, PL10. he gives the dragon 20 Con, 5 ranks of super constitution, and 10 ranks of armor. This gives him a damage save of 10 (fitting into his PL), but it also makes it so that incoming attacks get reduced in Damage DC by 10, thanks to the armor (I got this right so far, right?)

So here's the problem: We got to realizing that, while technically it does something different, protection/armor reducing damage DC is pretty much the same as adding to your damage save by the same amount. This would constitute stacking penalties. But this isn't mentioned in the book. So here we are with a character with a 'damage save' of 20, really, making it almost impossible to hurt him, and also breaking stacking code. Can you clear things up for us? thx.

Crimson Sweater,
Leader of Multitask
"Of course I'm out of my mind, it's dark and scary in there!"

did you know that WOOOSH!!! spoken backwards sounds like SHOOOOOO-UH!!!

Steve Kenson
Mastermind

Post by Steve Kenson » Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:48 am

Protection is considered a Damage save bonus for stacking purposes, so in this example:

PL10: Con 20, Super-Con +5, Protection +10. The character only gets a total +15 bonus: +5 from Con, and +10 (the PL limit) from Super-Con and Protection combined, since they're both power bonuses to Damage save.
Steve Kenson - steve@greenronin.com
Green Ronin Publishing