Mecha Creation.

These questions about M&M's first edition were posed to Steve Kenson--and then he answered them! Steve's now providing official answers to second edition questions, but we've archived this forum for you to search.
Warmonger
Sidekick
Sidekick

Mecha Creation.

Postby Warmonger » Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:17 am

Hey just some questions on vehicle creation.

1. Planning on building a Mecha as a vehicle, which ability scores should they have.
Str:Obviously need this in order to fight
Dex: Uh don't know about this. Mainly because doesn't a dex score mean that the vechilce could move on its own accord without some sort of guiding intelligence
Con: Obviouly wont need this.
Int: They need a piolt or an A.I so I no on this.
Wis: This is tricky. I mean if htey have no Wis doens't that mean that they can't perceive their environment?
Cha: No.

2. Does not having the prerequisite ability, mean that I can't use a skill? If it has no Wis score, can I still put on high tech sensors for the pilots to use that add to his spot and listen etc checks?

3. What determines the maximum rank of powers such a vehicle could use? I mean the pilots are going to be low PL, but the vehicles need higher power point levels.

4. Should the Mechas be purchased as vehicles for the charaters, contructs, devices (according to the device level rules in GGTG), or powers with the device flaw?

5. While the vehicle deosn't have to buy it immunites, do I have to buy them so that the pilot can benifit, or do I assume the pilot automatically does?

6. Should the vehicle have combat feats or should the pilot?
"From knowledge springs Power, just as weakness stems from Ignorance." Thanos of Titan

Steve Kenson
Mastermind

Re: Mecha Creation.

Postby Steve Kenson » Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:43 am

1. Planning on building a Mecha as a vehicle, which ability scores should they have

Strength is the only required on, although a mecha with hands able to manipulate objects should also have Dexterity.

2. Does not having the prerequisite ability, mean that I can't use a skill?

Yes, but you can buy ranks in some skills (like perception-based Wisdom skills) that add to the pilot's checks, as you suggest.

3. What determines the maximum rank of powers such a vehicle could use? I mean the pilots are going to be low PL, but the vehicles need higher power point levels.

The GM may wish to set a higher PL for the mecha (M&M 2e already does this by allowing you to have different PLs in a campaign).

4. Should the Mechas be purchased as vehicles for the charaters, contructs, devices (according to the device level rules in GGTG), or powers with the device flaw?

I tend to treat mecha as devices in M&M 1e, because the other options tend to be too inexpensive.

5. While the vehicle deosn't have to buy it immunites, do I have to buy them so that the pilot can benifit?

Yes.

6. Should the vehicle have combat feats or should the pilot?

The pilot, generally. In a mecha-based game, the GM may want to have personal and mecha-scale versions of different combat feats, allowing character to take either or both.
Steve Kenson - steve@greenronin.com
Green Ronin Publishing

Return to “Official Rules Questions (1e Archive)”