Fiddling with duration and cost

These questions about M&M's first edition were posed to Steve Kenson--and then he answered them! Steve's now providing official answers to second edition questions, but we've archived this forum for you to search.
Asmor
Bystander
Bystander

Fiddling with duration and cost

Postby Asmor » Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:50 pm

Hey, a villain I'm working on right now, The Queen of Pentacles, is a gypsy with an enchanted tarot deck.

Most of her powers are tied to the major arcana, and for some I wanted to use powers that are usually permanent. For example, the strength card grants her Super Strength +5.

My question is, what should I cost it? I've reduced the duration from Permanent to Sustained, and increased the action from none to half. I think it should cost 2 pp per level.

Similarly, The Sun grants her Regeneration +5, with a duration of Concentration and a half-action. I've costed this at 1 pp per level.

One final question. The Hermit will be a dazzle attack which blinds and deafens the victim. I figured given the concept, a will save made more sense than reflex. I couldn't find any information about changing saves, or how to assign them in the first place, so I assumed that the type of save didn't affect the cost at all. Is this correct?

Steve Kenson
Mastermind

Postby Steve Kenson » Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:04 am

Just apply the Action and Duration extras and flaws as needed to determine the powers cost: e.g. Permanent to Sustained is a +1 extra, none to half action is a -1 flaw, so the cost remains the same.

Generally changing the save a power requires is a +0 modifier (no change in cost) unless the save in question is Toughness, then it should be a +1 extra.
Steve Kenson - steve@greenronin.com
Green Ronin Publishing

Return to “Official Rules Questions (1e Archive)”