Gadgets/Variable Effect

These questions about M&M's first edition were posed to Steve Kenson--and then he answered them! Steve's now providing official answers to second edition questions, but we've archived this forum for you to search.
Death Octopus
Henchman
Henchman

Gadgets/Variable Effect

Postby Death Octopus » Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:12 pm

When you are using Gadgets/Variable Effect, do you have to pay a Hero Point once, and then the power stays that way until the end of the game (or until you change it), or do you have to pay a Hero Point for each encounter?

For instance, I have Variable Effect with three Extras and a Stunt (according to the Annual). I pay a Hero Point for EnergyControl: Radiation, and get Energy Blast, Area, Absorption and Stun. Does this power suite last all game, or just for the duration that I'm in a combat, and then it goes away, thus requiring a Hero Point expenditure to use it again?

I noticed that one of the Flaws to a power is that a character has to pay a Hero Point for the duration of a single encounter (top of page 98). This is a heck of a weakness, and I've found it weird that Variable Effect is far more effective, and seems to require that you just pay a Hero Point once, and it stays that way for the entire game.

Steve Kenson
Mastermind

Postby Steve Kenson » Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:39 am

Its 1 hero point per encounter for Variable Effects, too.
Steve Kenson - steve@greenronin.com
Green Ronin Publishing

Return to “Official Rules Questions (1e Archive)”