Inheritance of Extras

These questions about M&M's first edition were posed to Steve Kenson--and then he answered them! Steve's now providing official answers to second edition questions, but we've archived this forum for you to search.
Nephilpal
Bystander
Bystander

Inheritance of Extras

Postby Nephilpal » Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:42 am

If I have super-strength (duration permanent by default) with leaping (duration instant by default) and protection (duration permanent by default) as extras, and then take the innate extra for super-strength, do valid sub-powers (i.e. protection) inherit that innate, or must I buy it separately for them?

One of my fellow players alleges that every sub-power inherits valid extras from its parent power. I countered that this is not a benefit listed on page 56, wherein the effects of "nested" power seem to be exclusively defined as the following:

1) Sub-powers cost 1 pp less per rank to purchase.
2) Use of the drain power against a parent power simultaneously drains ranks from all sub-powers.

I also pointed out that it would be possible to gain disproportionate benefit from broadly-appllicable extras if they are inherited by placing them in a root power. For instance, applying the Duration extra to an Energy Field that also has the Energy Blast extra would then provide an Energy Blast with a duration of concentration as well as providing a damaging field that endures even while unconscious.

So, ultimately, how does the inheritance of extras work?
Do you:

1) Have to purchase the same extra multiple times if you wish it to apply to sub-powers taken as extras.

or

2) Purchase of an extra applies that extra to all valid sub-powers.

Thank you for clarifying this.

Steve Kenson
Mastermind

Re: Inheritance of Extras

Postby Steve Kenson » Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:25 am

Nephilpal wrote:If I have super-strength (duration permanent by default) with leaping (duration instant by default) and protection (duration permanent by default) as extras, and then take the innate extra for super-strength, do valid sub-powers (i.e. protection) inherit that innate, or must I buy it separately for them?

... and right here is a reason why extras don't work this way in M&M 2e. :roll:

I generally recommend that sub-powers (as you put it) don't "inherit" extras, although in some cases you can say an extra "floats," allowing it to apply to any one sub-power at a time. This is a bit more complex, but also a little more flexible.

As I mentioned, M&M 2e eliminates this problem altogether.
Steve Kenson - steve@greenronin.com
Green Ronin Publishing

Return to “Official Rules Questions (1e Archive)”