Spectrum's Sideshow (More recent PC submissions)

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.
Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Re: Spectrum's Sideshow

Postby Spectrum » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:09 pm

The Mime (I and II?)

This is another early original character concept I've been playing around with. In those early sleepless nights after picking up DCAU many character concepts kept coming to mind. This is one of them. The Mime is a battle between two competing concepts with very similar power sets. My martial arts school had recently started to offer tai chi classes and I was inspired by the idea of how hard and soft energies flowed. A little after that, I read a story of how Marcel Marceau originally got into miming. During WW2, Marceau was an agent for the French Resistance and worked to help children escape from the tyranny of race laws and the concentration camps. He used miming as a way of keeping the children quiet on their way to the safety of neutral Switzerland.

My current thinking is that the Mime is actually (at least) two heroes. The first was active during the Golden Age/ World at War setting in the same role as Marceau. There may have been other legacy heroes along the way. The other focus would be on a current day character but there are just stray fragments of what that would mean. The only thing that really stands out is a pair of hands (gender unknown) drawing out a dusty old book containing the secrets of miming.

The power set (for the new character) would mostly be composed of create and move object of an invisible force- maybe with a power limitation reflecting the need to be silent in order for it to work. as an alternate concept, maybe some kind of hearing based concealment to silence the Mime's actions and a very small radius around him (her?).

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arthur Eld » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:11 pm

Spectrum wrote:Dr. Teresa Monroe (Talia Morreau)

This is a character that has been bouncing around in my mind since I joined the boards. Unfortunately, it also feeds into Women in Refrigerators issues. Talia is a mix of several long standing characters from across several different continuities. Talia's father is a Doctor Doom/High Evolutionary type- a brilliant biological engineer that has created his own isolated society in the Carpathian mountains that every so often came down to take vengeance on the outside world- all very Silver age.

Much like Talia al Ghul, Talia Morreau is at once a femme fatale and a antihero in her own right. Talia has taken on the role of Dr. Teresa Monroe in an attempt to leave the dark heritage of her father behind her. She is highly positioned within a Doctors Without Borders organization and is the foremost experts when it comes to the emerging variant biologies of the superhuman world (referencing Moira MacTaggert).

Issues: In reading through the threads of some of the big builders, I haven't seen many significant background characters. It brings up a lot of questions of how to build this type of character. Any suggestions out there on how to build a character where the only reason to drive up a PL is to allow for high ranked skills without the combat stats to go along with it?

In building any character, I try to start with the concept first, and let the PL come last.

So for a character like Talia, going by your brief description, I would probably say she could be anywhere from PL 2 to PL 6 or so. Now her skills might be her highest attribute that determines that (maybe with an Expertise (biology) with a final bonus of +15 or maybe even +16. If all her other traits are around the PL 4 level or so, that's fine.

There are a bunch of characters from 2E materials that would be higher in PL in 3E due to the new relationship between skills and PL, usually scientists with crazy high bonuses that would put them upwards of PL 16 or so purely based on skills. That's usually fine so long as you're not talking about a PC type character. Since Dr. Monroe doesn't seem to be that type, I'd say build her with whatever stats you think she should has, determine her PL from those stats and be done with it.

Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Postby Spectrum » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:30 pm

The Roach

Yet another old fragment of a character that hasn't gone much of anywhere. In this case, a concept that goes back years. The Roach lives a boring, uneventful life lacking in challenge. He's immune to disease, poison and most damaging effects. He's also a complete slob and slacker. On the other hand, he's a good way of getting rid of toxic waste and other assorted plot devices. Classic plot point of him deciding to clean up, loose weight, and otherwise impress a hurrrr.. girl, including a poor heroine of the party.

Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Postby Spectrum » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:36 pm

Captain Skyhook/ Bloodhook
Logos and typeface: In the spirit of my dear Who's Who issues, I can even picture how the two names would appear on the page reflecting the very different personalities of the two characters. Captain Skyhook would be in a very modern typeface in a skyblue in a swooping position. Bloodhook on the other hand is in blood red, full of points in spices and entirely too 90s.

Issue: Not so much a character build issue but rather a world building question- how do I want to deal with the twin tropes of Cut Lex Luthor a Check and Reed Richards is Useless. In other words, how much impact do I allow super technology to have on the setting? (And as I write this finding I need to come up with better names ;) )

Technology: This is the trademark item of both characters and is still in flux. So far the top contenders are either a flying forklift and Shriek from Batman Beyond:

Captain Skyhook: The original Captain Skyhook plays the Silver Age role of the gentleman criminal- a nice guy, rescuing people from fires, ready to give a hand on the major world shattering issues but is still, you know- a thief. I'm thinking of having the original design the suit as an innovative way of doing rescue operations but having his employers planning on selling it for military concerns instead. In a lot of ways I'm considering the more fun characters from the Flash's Rogues Gallery. The suit at this time is mostly used for flying in and grabbing valuables or to rescue the innocent.

Bloodhook: I'm seeing this version of the concept as the sadly typical darker and edgier psychopath from the Dark Ages. Introduced as an obscure jobber villain a few years earlier and mostly forgotten about except for that one writer. The psychopath hunts down (in prison?) the gentleman inventor and tortures the original to find out where the Skyhook is and begins a psychopathic murder spree. This version of the Skyhook is most commonly used for high speed slam attacks (move by action) to trigger fast grab, flying back up and using a free action to do a drop at fatal heights. Its a potentially nasty move but not very useful against flying or grapple type foes.

Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Postby Spectrum » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:46 pm

(removed at request of the author)
Last edited by Spectrum on Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Postby Spectrum » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:50 pm

Last edited by Spectrum on Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Postby Spectrum » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:51 pm

Last edited by Spectrum on Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Postby Spectrum » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:53 pm

Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Postby Spectrum » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:54 pm

Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Postby Spectrum » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:57 pm

Last edited by Spectrum on Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Postby Spectrum » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:58 pm

Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Postby Spectrum » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:00 pm

Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Re: Spectrum's Sideshow (Fantastic Empires conversion notes)

Postby Spectrum » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:10 pm

Katja Grigori (Shqip, "understanding each other") - PL 11

Strength 5, Stamina 3, Agility 0, Dexterity 0, Fighting 12, Intellect 0, Awareness 0, Presence 5

Advantages
Artificer, Attractive 2, Benefit, Security Clearance: UNSC, Benefit, Status 3: Imageria Courtesan, Benefit, Wealth (well-off), Connected, Contacts, Daze (Deception), Equipment 4, Fascinate (Persuasion), Favored Foe: Imageria, Inspire 5, Luck 2, People Person (Gather Into on Persuasion), Redirect, Ritualist, Set-up 2, Skill Mastery: Deception, Skill Mastery: Insight, Skill Mastery: Persuasion, Taunt, Teamwork, Well-informed

Skills
Deception 11 (+16), Expertise: Occult 20 (+20), Expertise: Politics 15 (+15), Insight 15 (+15), Persuasion 11 (+16)

Powers

Polyglot: Comprehend 3 (Languages - Read All, Languages - Speak All, Languages - Understand All; Quirk: Takes at least a scene to pick up new languages)

Supernatural Contracts: Variable 4 (Limited: Minions and Sidekicks, Slow, Uncontrolled)
. . Worldwalking: Movement 2 (Alternate; Dimensional: Imageria 2: group, 50 lbs.; Custom 2: Gate; Quirk: Only while moving)

Touch of the Imageria
. . Enhanced Trait: Enhanced Trait 2 (magical, Advantages: Luck 2; Limited: Only to activate inspire)
. . Servants: Feature 1 (pp4)
. . Surreal Beauty: Enhanced Presence 5 (magical, +5 PRE; Noticeable: Magical aura, Resistible: Will)
. . Tricks of the Trade(craft): Enhanced Trait 9 (Advantages: Daze (Deception), Fascinate (Persuasion), Inspire 5, Set-up 2; Noticeable: Magical aura)

Equipment
Cell Phone (Smartphone), Full Plate, Large Wooden Shield, Sword

Offense
Initiative +0
Grab, +12 (DC Spec 15)
Sword, +12 (DC 23)
Throw, +0 (DC 20)
Unarmed, +12 (DC 20)

Complications

Enemy: Stalkers with Crushes: Katja has caught the eye of several creatures, powerful and not, from many realms that have taken an... unhealthy.. interest in her.

Fame: Well known socialie

Motivation: Responsibility: Her abilities are an incredible gift to the world from the Imageria, using her as their conduit.

Prejudice: There are many reasons to dislike her, her gender, racial identity and her magical upbringing.

Secret: Many do not known just how far her loyalties are divided.

The letter of the law, not the spirit: This is a catchall complication. Ktaja is heavily involved in a world of binding agreements in the mortal world and the Imageri. While she tries to uphold of all of them, they sometimes conflict and her partners may not be as honorable.of course, if she breaks the laws herself her partners are less willing to trust her.

Defense
Dodge 13, Parry 13/13, Fortitude 9, Toughness 9, Will 13

Power Points
Abilities 40 + Powers 36 + Advantages 24 + Skills 36 (72 ranks) + Defenses 30 = 166

Disclaimer: This character history needs a ton of work. I’m still trying to take in as much information about the Crinoverse as I can and figure out how I can use it to further flesh out the character. I’m also trying to do more research into the very serious issues around ethnic Albanians and the Kosovo War that took so many lives. If I err, please do not take it as an insult and help me have a better understand a greater part of our world. Thank you.

Katja’s parents were professionals in Kosovo while she was growing up. She was an early teenager during the mid90s as Yugoslav began to crack down on ethnic Albanians in Kosovo. Everyone quickly had to learn how the winds of politics were blowing on any particular day on any particular block as part of survival, and she was better than most. As her family fled to the southwest and into Albania, she missed a risky transfer and separated from them.

While away from the rest of her family, her skills were put to task and were found wanting. As she laid dying in the streets, yet another casualty of the ethnic violence, one of the servants of the Imageria came across her. A vision of beauty stood before her, offering her a hand, “Do you want me to you’re your life?” What she was not told was what she would be trading for her life. Within the Courts, she was enslaved to be living artwork, be beautiful or be invisible, with not much expectation to survive the experience. But she learned very quickly the lesson that she had failed in Kosovo, to read the winds of politics like a bird in order to fly.

While she watched the other mortal playthings wither or break and die, she learned the lessons quickly. This brought her to the eye of her master’s servants and indeed to the master himself. Her lessons became more difficult, a constant challenge where the missteps could lead to her own destruction, and yet she survived. Her duties expanded and she even began to gather respect and freedom, always laced with the same danger and the same promises of commitment to her master. While courtesans are not unusual within the Imageria, one that is mortal is exceedingly rare, and she gathered quite a few admirers.

Time passes differently between the two planes. While a lifetime of experience passed there, only a few years passed here. Her life debt was traded repeatedly, with little value at first but that built as she proved herself. After travelling through all of the realms, she found herself in the court of the Dark Undermaster. While he was utterly besotted with her, she would not return the favor to the rather unlikable mortal. She was away as much as she could be, suggesting that she be sent on this ambassadorial mission or that, seeing even more of the realms, making even more contacts.

She was there, about to report to the Dark Underlord of her newest findings when the Master Mage of Earth saved her the problem. It was with a certain delight that the weakened agreements that she had were shredded. She took advantage of the momentary chaos of the Fae civil war to slip back to the mortal realm.

Many that are fond of the raven-haired beauty between the two worlds and she derives great power through that, near constantly having friends in attendance in return for favors, sometimes great and other times small. In recent days, she has received an invitation to join the Vanguard as the official representative of Albania and the unofficial diplomatic conduit for the Imageria. Where there are agreements to make and intrigue to indulge, the lives of everyone will be all the richer.

Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Postby Spectrum » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:12 pm

Deus - PL 10

Strength 4, Stamina 6, Agility 5, Dexterity 0, Fighting 12, Intellect 0, Awareness 5, Presence 5

Advantages
Agile Feint, Attractive 2, Defensive Roll 2, Eidetic Memory, Improved Critical 4: Unarmed, Instant Up, Luck 5, Uncanny Dodge

Skills
Acrobatics 5 (+10), Athletics 6 (+10), Deception 5 (+10), Insight 5 (+10), Persuasion 2 (+7), Vehicles 10 (+10)

Powers
Amorphous Form
. . Insubstantial: Insubstantial 2 (Gaseous; Precise, Subtle: subtle)
. . Morph: Morph 3 (+20 Deception checks to disguise; Broad group; Increased Action: move)
Danger sense: Senses 1 (Danger Sense: Vision)
Extra Force: Strength-based Damage 4 (DC 23; Variable Descriptor: close group - Melee combat)
Mimicry: Feature 1
Wire Fu: Flight 2 (Speed: 8 miles/hour, 120 feet/round; Subtle 2: undetectable)

Offense
Initiative +5
Extra Force: Strength-based Damage 4, +12 (DC 23)
Grab, +12 (DC Spec 14)
Throw, +0 (DC 19)
Unarmed, +12 (DC 19)

Complications
Honor: Martial Artist: Dues struggles to follow the Noble 8fold Path

Motivation: Thrills: A born daredevil, Dues keeps pushing hirself towards greater and greater deeds.

Power Loss: Holding a consistent form requires an act of will, mental influence or intoxication can cause hir to loose coherence.

Prejudice: Shapeshifting freak

Relationship:
*Master Hei Bao: After hir parents abandoned her, she was raised by Master Wu. Shi remains very fond of the old woman and seeks her approval and guidance.
* SO of the week:Dues's partners are often put in danger because of their proximity

Responsibility: Genderqueer: Growing up as tg is hard, it's even harder when you're a shapeshifter. Dues has become a significant rolemodel in the LGBT community.

You're that Guy, Aren't You?: Deus has developed a small fanbase as a daredevil and bit actor. While never a bit star, shi's appeared in enough small roles to have some face recognition.

Defense
Dodge 12, Parry 12, Fortitude 8, Toughness 8/6, Will 12

Power Points
Abilities 74 + Powers 26 + Advantages 17 + Skills 17 (33 ranks) + Defenses 16 = 150

History: Dues doesn't like discussing hir past, often offering a curt answer of not being the same person that shi used to be. What little is known is that shi grew up in Vancouver and was the victim of yet another 'stage mom', being pushed into a hundred auditions and 'talent' shows. Eventually, Dues came to a decision even if hir mother was unwilling- there were only a few really big stars, but there was always room for other talent in front and behind the screen, whether doing bodydouble work or stunts or even those little actors that were never huge but still made a name for themselves. Anyway, those sounded like more enjoyable roles.

In the start, it was easier to convince hir mother to go along with dance or cheerleader training, after all, those activities could be useful in trying to get a part. Like many other things, it got harder as shi got older, insisting on wearing gender-inappropriate clothing and taking up more serious sports- like martial arts! Dues went searching for a teacher that would be willing to teach hir on hir meager allowance and time. Shi eventually came to study under Master Hei Bao. It was a rocky relationship to begin, but eventually they came to agreements and even a mother/? relationship

It was this relationship that saved young Dues' life and sanity. Teenage years are hard for everyone, its harder when you're hopefully confused about your sexuality, disastrous when you're also a mutant. Classic situation of getting serious on an early date, freaking out and .. dissolving into a puddle of goo. This got Dues disowned by her family, an outcast at school and on the edge of becoming another casualty to the horrors of highschool. It was only through the tough love of Master Bao that Dues survived, making training so much more serious, both of the body and the spirit.

Several years pass, Dues making a name for hirself in the Vancouver movie and television screen, a few bit parts, some daredevil work and even a little bit of VA work on the side. Shi's at the happiest in her life, between being on stage, an active social life, a cute little townhouse in Davie Village, still able to spend time with hir mother Master Bao. Too bad, its about to take another big rollercoaster with the very recent invitation to the CDO.

Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Postby Spectrum » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:13 pm

Horadric Cube (Diablo 2 video game)

The item that most people remember from the second Diablo game and definitely one of the most useful. It let you do two really (well, maybe) useful things in game. The first ability was it allowed you to try to trade some of your junk magic items into well.. chances were you were going to get a completely random and equally as useless magic item. On the other hand, every once in a while you got lucky- really lucky. Oh, and the other quirk there, the only way that you got to find out the recipes for the transformation was through trial and error or the relatively new Internet of the time. The other nifty thing about the device was that in a game of extremely limited storage constraints, it allowed you a pocket dimension to put extra stuff in.. trading a 2x2 space for a 3x4- and yes orientation mattered and nothing could be rotated.

Horadric Cube (Easily Removable (indestructible))
. . Transformation: Transform 7 (Affects: Broad > Broad - magic item > magic item, Transforms: 100 lbs., DC 17; Permanent, Uncontrolled)
. . . . Dimensional Pocket: Feature 1 (Alternate; Subtle: subtle)

Tattooedman, Houserules wrote:Dimensional Pocket:
Action: Move
Range: Personal
Duration: Permanent
Cost: 2 point per rank

You have a “pocket” of dimensional space that is capable of holding an amount of material. Your dimensional pocket has a 100 pound capacity at rank 1 and you must be able to make physical contact with the item you want to place into it. Each additional ranks moves it one step up the Measurement Table. You can store up to your maximum capacity of items in your dimensional pocket, retrieving them at a later time. If you try to fit an item into your dimensional pocket that would exceed your capacity, nothing happens. Moving things into or out of your dimensional pocket is a move action.

Return to “Roll Call”