Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

A noob's question - power caps

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.

Moderators: The Mod Squad, The Justice League, M&M Line Developer

A noob's question - power caps

Postby jamieth » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:40 pm

Hi everyone, I'm pretty new to M&M, and while I can usually handle making my characters, I'm very far from knowing all the system quirks by heart. So it happened that I am currently stuck at work, and with a desire to do some building, yet without a book I have to use srd as the reference material. Which is good and all, but it seems it is missing one thing - namely, the list of power level caps and available tradeoffs. So, if someone would be so kind and list those - or point me to a site containing those - I'd be very grateful.
jamieth
Bystander
Bystander

Re: A noob's question - power caps

Postby Batgirl III » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:05 am

WORKSHEET
Attack: x Effect: x (to hit required) Total: 2*PL
Attack: N/A Effect: x (no to hit) Total: 1*PL
Dodge x Toughness x Total: 2*PL
Parry x Toughness x Total: 2*PL
Fortitude x Will x Total: 2*PL
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Batgirl III
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Bladewind » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:43 am

Ski's Character Generator is an excel spreadsheet available on the boards that helps as well.
Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Postby jamieth » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:01 am

Thanks! Also, I seeem to remember abilites being 2PL except for STR, and some limit on skill mods... or is it 2nd ed only?
jamieth
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Batgirl III » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:19 am

A character’s total modifier with any skill (Ability + Skill Rank + Any Additional Modifiers)
cannot exceed the campaign's PL+10. This includes untrained skill modifiers that use only raw Ability score, and therefore also sets an effective PL Cap limit on all abilities.

So, assuming a PL10 with zero ranks in Deception or Persuasion, with no Power or Advantage modifiers, you cannot put more than 20 Ranks into Presence. A PL10 with zero ranks in Stealth caps out at Agility 20... so on and so forth. I don't think I've made a character yet where I've hit the Skill Cap on raw Ability. That's a lot of power points!

Since Fighting and Strength, aren't just skill modifiers, but also factor into everyone's Unarmed attack, you'll need keep an eye on those two.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Batgirl III
Luminary
Luminary

Postby jamieth » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:49 am

Yep, thanks again!
jamieth
Bystander
Bystander

Return to Roll Call