Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

Paradigm Shift: Roll Call

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.

Paradigm Shift: Roll Call

Postby Bladewind » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:03 pm

As requested, here is a Roll Call thread to regroup the PCs for Paradigm Shift.

The OOC thread is here
The IC thread is here

The PCs follow:
Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Re: Paradigm Shift: Roll Call

Postby Bombaatu » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:24 pm

Horus

Eons past...

The assault by the Se'et was brutal. Writhing oily blackness roiled over the sand-scoured landscape, racing to overtake the fleeing army. At its touch men were wrapped in serpents and dragged screaming into the cloud. Behind the front, purple bloated corpses littered the dunes, each frozen in a rictus of agony.

The obelisk stood as a bulwark against the cloud; light flared from the inscribed hieroglyphs, pulsing in time to the chant of the priest entrusted with its safety. Soldiers lined the invisible barrier, slashing at serpents that penetrated it with alarming frequency. Sweat beaded on the priest's forehead and his voice cracked at times; after a night and day without rest he was nearing the limits of his endurance.

This obelisk was one of the few remaining out of the dozens erected by the gods as a defense against the incursion. If it fell, nothing would prevent the other-worldly snake-demons from laying waste to the fertile land beyond and the priest's people would be slaughtered.

The priest's voice faltered and a breach opened within the barrier; death poured through eagerly. The priest bowed his head as it approached, knowing that his failure doomed all that lived. He uttered a whispered prayer to his patron god Horus to ask for deliverance… or forgiveness.

His prayer was answered. Suddenly light burst forth from the sky, brighter than the brightest day. A winged figure swooped overhead, causing the cloud to recoil; were it truly alive it would seem frightened. And with good reason. Beams of golden radiance lanced out to sweep the writhing mass and where they struck the cloud evaporated. Exposed to the sun and divine glory, the snake-demons within withered and turned to ash.

The exhausted priest collapsed against the obelisk; faith rewarded, his task was done. Silently he watched as his god hurled himself against the vileness. The counter-attack was brief and victorious. Led by Horus, the remnants of the human army surged forward, slaying any remaining Se'et or cultists.

When all was done, Horus alighted atop the obelisk.

My good and faithful priest! Your perseverance has purchased life for your people, my children. Even as I speak, my brothers Ra and Osiris stand over the husk of the vanquished Se'et. Our task here is done; soon shall we return to our own realm. Remember what we have taught you; pass it down unto all generations to follow. And if you should again have need, call upon us and we shall return. FAREWELL!

Present Day...
"O, sweet merciful Horus!"

Pain exploded out the stubbed toe and a vase crashed to the floor as Biti Bahur limped about in the darkness fumbling for a light switch. It was an unusual oath but one born out of life-long habit; Biti's strict parents had not abided profanity.

He sighed at the broken glass and went to get a broom. Such was his life now; consumed by triviality. He had once been a teacher of history, respected if not revered, until budget cutbacks forced him into early retirement. Now he went about his lonely way, seeking to fill the empty hours. This afternoon he had laid down intending to take a short nap. When he awoke it was well into the evening and his tiny apartment was in complete darkness; hence the stubbed toe and broken vase.

After cleaning up, Biti dressed and left. He really had nowhere to go at this hour, but he wasn't tired now and knew that sleep would be a futile and frustrating exercise. He descended the stairs of his apartment building, walking past closed doors with too-loud televisions blaring behind them.

Once at the street, his wandering feet led him to Centennial Park. It was a pleasant stroll, if a little risky at this hour. He wandered among the paths, in and out of pools of light cast by lamp poles. Occasionally he passed someone; late-night joggers, young lovers stealing kisses in the moonlight, persons like himself who passed nodding in understanding.

Finally he stopped, taking a rest on one of the many benches off the path and watching the night sky. As he watched a cloud formed; small at first but it grew rapidly. Flashes of lightning lit it from within with strobes of purple, blue and green. Wind began to whip at the trees in stark contrast to the projected weather and the temperature dropped several degrees. "Hrmph. Somebody messed *something* up", he thought to himself. He began to hurry home, annoyed at the weather shift and not wanting to be caught out in the rain.

A flash of purple lightning split a tree in his path and Biti was thrown to the ground. This was more than just a mistake at the weather bureau - something was dreadfully wrong. Aching from the impact he rose to his feet… and faced a nightmare. Reddish eyes gleamed in scaly black faces. Tentacled arms reached for him… at their ends were snapping hissing snake heads.

"O, sweet merciful Horus" he muttered in shock.

I Come!

Light erupted out of Biti's eyes, mouth and fingertips. He could briefly feel power surging through his body, and then it was as if he was standing outside himself, watching a dream. He saw his body change; it grew taller and sprouted wings, the head and legs transformed into those of a giant bird, and the entire being shone with a radiance that was hard to look at. The creature he became shrieked and light poured from its beaked mouth, splaying over the demonic figures and reducing them to ash. A voice unlike any Biti had ever heard filled his head.

What once was is now again! This world, long under our watch, is threatened once more. But our worlds are no longer as close as they were in times past. My brothers and sisters stand ready to answer, eager to lend their aid, but only I was able to find a suitable vessel. You shall be that vessel, Biti Bahur, and know that Horus stands with you all in your time of need!

Horus - PL 10

Strength 7/0, Stamina 13/2, Agility 7/0, Dexterity 0/-1, Fighting 7/1, Intellect 2, Awareness 4/2, Presence 2/0

Advantages
Beginner's Luck, Luck, Eidetic Memory, Favored Environment: Aerial, Inspire 4, Interpose, Jack-of-all-trades, Power Attack, Skill Mastery: Intimidation, Startle, Takedown, Favored Paradigm: Traditional Egyptian Mythology (gm freebie)

Skills
Expertise: History 4 (+6), Perception 4 (+8), Persuasion 4 (+6), Ranged Combat: Light powers 8 (+8)

Powers
Avatar of Horus (Activation: Move Action, Advantages: Eidetic Memory, Favored Environment: Aerial, Interpose, Jack-of-all-trades, Power Attack, Takedown)
. . Abilities: Enhanced Trait 72 (Traits: Strength +7 (+7), Stamina +11 (+13), Dexterity +1 (+0), Fighting +6 (+7), Presence +2 (+2), Agility +7 (+7), Awareness +2 (+4))
. . Comprehend: Comprehend 6 (Animals - Speak To, Animals - Understand, Languages - Read All, Languages - Speak All, Languages - Understand All, Languages - You're Understood; Custom 2: Speak to/Understand Animals limited to Avians)
. . Eyes of the Hawk: Senses 2 (Extended: Vision 2: x100)
. . Flight: Flight 5 (Speed: 60 miles/hour, 900 feet/round; Wings [4 ranks only])
. . Primal Light: Nullify 12 (divine, light, magical, Counters: Magic, DC 22; Broad)
. . . . Dazzling Burst: Cumulative Perception Area Affliction 10 (Alternate; 1st degree: Impaired, 2nd degree: Disabled, 3rd degree: Unaware, Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 20; Perception Area, Cumulative; Limited: Vision Only)
. . . . Godly Speed: Flight 8 (Alternate; Speed: 500 miles/hour, 1 mile/round; Stacks with: Flight: Flight 5)
. . . . Inner Light
. . . . . . Awe: Enhanced Trait 12 (Traits: Intimidation +12 (+14), Advantages: Inspire 4, Skill Mastery, Startle)
. . . . . . Shining Light: Environment 2 (Light (Bright), Radius: 60 feet; Reaction 3: reaction)
. . . . . . Vox Die: Feature 2 (Notes: "Voice of God": people hear Horus as if they had Extended Hearing 2 (-1/1000 ft). This stacks with any existing Extended Hearing.)
. . . . Purifying Light: Blast 12 (Alternate; divine, light, magical, DC 27)

Offense
Initiative +7
Dazzling Burst: Cumulative Perception Area Affliction 10 (DC Fort 20)
Grab, +7 (DC Spec 17)
Primal Light: Nullify 12, +8 (DC Will 22)
Purifying Light: Blast 12, +8 (DC 27)
Throw, +0 (DC 22)
Unarmed, +7 (DC 22)

Complications
Identity: Biti Bahur: Biti is a retired history teacher
Motivation: Doing Good: Horus feels a deep desire to help the humans as he did in ancient times.
Semi-Controlled Manifestation: The Avatar of Horus may choose to manifest against Biti's will. The Avatar may also NOT show up when Biti wants it to...
Shifted: Horus is obviously not native to this reality and often faces mistrust

Languages
English

Defense
Dodge 7, Parry 7, Fortitude 13, Toughness 13, Will 7

Power Points
Abilities 12 + Powers 123 + Advantages 2 + Skills 10 (20 ranks) + Defenses 3 = 150

Build notes: Horus' "Inner Light" structure can be a little hard to understand. It has a couple of set effects - the Bright Light Environment effect (the "reaction" trigger is switching to the "Inner Light" slot) & the "Vox Die". He also radiates a 'godly presence' - enhanced Intimidate, Startle & Skill Mastery [Intimidate]
Last edited by Bombaatu on Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bombaatu
Paragon
Paragon

Postby baixiwei » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:14 pm

The Secret
PL10, 150 points

Background wrote:I've always known the everyday world was a lie, a veneer of normalcy hiding dark powers and terrifying secrets. Ignorance is bliss for most, except those poor souls who take a wrong turn into that hidden world. Even if they survive, society casts them out like lepers, even their supposed loved ones. No one listens to them but me. I'd listen to anything, sometimes even help - I'd picked up some tricks over the years - though whether I did more good than harm is open to debate. But usually I could only nod in sympathy and write about it on my blog. Cautionary tales.

That all changed when Lexcorp scouted me. Someone saw more in me than nutjob occult conspiracy blogger. "Potential for etheric sensitivity" - and they knew how to amp it up. Who was I to refuse? This was my chance to see what was really going on in the world. So there I was on a lab table, getting shot up with a cocktail of who knows what ...

I dreamt of an iron tower rising over a barren windswept plain. Elder beings with wings of brass and gold bore me through the air to the tower's highest point, singing in crystalline tones a song both terrible and beautiful as the earth fell away beneath us. At the top I met the Queen, whose multifaceted eyes of jade could see into my soul, and with all her many mouths she whispered mysteries and revelations to me until my ears bled and I cried out, "No more, no more!"

I came to still on the lab table. I'd been on the mother of all acid trips for a week, thrashing and babbling nonsense for most of it. They ran tests on me for another week. I showed them enough of what I could do now to get an job and a security clearance. The head doc didn't trust me, but he got cooperative when I mentioned some old indiscretions he thought no one knew about.

I knew. That was the power I'd received, to reveal what was secret. I knew things about magic - the real magic hidden in the refuse I'd spent my life studying. Things the government knew about the paradigms but was keeping from the world at large. Things they didn't know yet, about what was coming, if people like me didn't stop it.

But no one was really like me. No one else could ever know what I knew. The Voices had been quite clear on that point. That's why they gave me another power, to conceal as well as to reveal. I'll share what I know with those who need it, those who are ready to hear. For everyone else, I'll carry the burden. The burden of ... The Secret.

Abilities:

Str 0, Sta 2, Agi 0, Dex 0, Fgt 0, Int 4, Awe 4, Pre 4

Skills:

Deception 10(14), Persuasion 8(12), Intimidation 6(10), Insight 10(14), Perception 10(14), Investigation 10(14), Expertise - Magic 8(12), Expertise - Paradigms 4(8)

Advantages:

Contacts, Eidetic Memory, Fascinate (Deception), Ritualist, Skill Mastery (Deception), Skill Mastery (Insight), Well-informed

Free advantages: Quick Change 2, Benefit - Status (science police), Favored Paradigm (Call of Cthulhu)

Powers:

Mysteries and Revelations: Array (32 points + 5 APs = 37 points)
  • Mystery of Dreams and Nightmares: Illusion 10 (visual and auditory, precise)
  • Mystery of Oblivion: Weaken 10 (awareness, resisted by will, perception ranged, insidious, subtle)
  • Mystery of the Veil: Concealment 6 (visual and auditory), Morph 4 (any shape)
  • Revelation of Tongues: Comprehend 14 (all variants, sustained)
  • Revelation of Mind and Spirit: Mind Reading 10 (cumulative, subtle 2)
  • Revelation of Time and Space: Senses 8 (precognition, postcognition), Remote Sensing 12 (visual, 16 miles), all Sustained (+0)

My Eyes Have Been Opened:
Senses 6 (Acute Magic Awareness - Mental, Vision Counters Illusion and Invisibility)

The Queen's Blessing:
Protection 9, Enhanced Dodge 9, Enhanced Parry 9

Dimensional Anchor (GM freebie)

Offense:

Illusion, Mind Reading, and Weaken all perception ranged, DC 20 will

Defense:

Dodge 9, Parry 9
Toughness 11, Fortitude 6, Will 12

The Math:

Abilities 28 + Skills 33 + Advantages 7 + Powers 70 + Defense 12 = 150

Complications:

Motivation: Responsibility. John believes that humanity is constantly threatened by dark forces that no one else knows about, and feels a responsibility to stop them.

Obsession: The Truth. John is addicted to finding out the truth. The more mysterious, bizarre, or horrifying, the better (subconsciously of course). He rarely takes anything at face value.

Quirk: Secretive. John plays his cards close to the chest at all times and never shares information with others, even allies, unless they have a need to know.

Quirk: A Little Crazy. Enough of what John claims to know has turned out true that people have to take him seriously, but some of what he spouts is just conspiracy theory lunacy. His story about the alien Queen, for example ...
Baixiwei's Character Builds and Conversions

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes.
baixiwei
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Walking Dad » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:34 pm

Cyborg

STR 7
STA 6
AGL 3
DEX 0
FGT 5
INT 4
AWE 3
PRE 0

POWERS
Computer Link: Comprehend 2 (Machines) • 4 points

Hydraulic Muscles: Enhanced Strength 4, Leaping 8 (1,800 feet) • 16 points

Molybdenum Steel Body: Protection 7, Impervious (Toughness) 13 • 20 points

Self-Repair Systems: Enhanced Stamina 3, Regeneration 5 • 11 points

Internal Gadgets
Multi Frequency Blaster: Ranged Damage 2 (strength-based, variable damage descriptor 2) • 11 points
• Widespread Multi Frequency Blaster: Cone Area Damage 2 (strength-based, variable damage descriptor 2) • 1 point
• Amplified Senses: Senses 11 (Analytical Vision, Analytical Hearing, Darkvision, Extended Vision, Extended Hearing, Infravision, Radio, Ultra-Hearing, Ultravision) • 1 point
• Pneumatic Punch Accelerator: Multi-attack 7 and Improved Critical 3 on Unarmed Damage • 1 point
• Control Technology: Perception Ranged Affliction 10 (controlled), Overcome by Technology skill or Will; Limited (third degree only), Affects Objects Only, Limited to Technology • 1 point
• Technomorph: Variable 1 (Tech Powers), Free Action • 1 point

ADVANTAGES
All-Out Attack, Eidetic Memory, Evasion, Fast Grab, Improved Grab, Improved Initiative 1, Power Attack

SKILLS
Athletics 5 (+12), Close Combat: Unarmed 8 (+13), Perception 6 (+9), Ranged Combat: Multi Frequency Blaster 11 (+11), Technology 8 (+12)

OFFENSE
Initiative +7
Unarmed+13 Close, Damage 7
Multi Frequency Blaster +11 Range, Damage 9

DEFENSE
Dodge 7 Parry 7
Toughness 13
Fortitude 11 Will 9

POWER POINTS
Abilities 42 Skills 19 Powers 65 Defenses 17 Advantages 7 Total 150

COMPLICATIONS:
Mistrusted
Paradigm Shift

Background:
Code: Select all
Clearance level purple

<excerpt of appendix A debriefing; Rogers, Steven. Captain.>
Source:
<excerpt of debriefing; Stone, Victor. Sergeant.>

Dr. Erskine: Good to see you back Sergeant Stone. I heard you are getting accustomed to your... prosthetics?

Stone: Well, they work fine, but what is this all about? Is the Captain alright?

Dr. Erskine: Captain Rogers was already debriefed, you will meet each other soon. We still have some questions about what happened during your last mission.

Stone: I will try my best. Memory is a bit hazy... the lab guys at Starrware said they had to replace parts of my brain...

Dr. Erskine: Just start after you got hit in your chest by this plasma beam. Rogers mentioned some problems with your gear.

Stone: Yes, but that was before.The equipment started malfunction one by one. First the d@mn long range communication, then the more personal gear... thank god for the CQC training...

Dr. Erskine: Not so fast Sergeant, had you seen the captain near the radio operator.

Stone: No, he was leading from the front, as always, with me right behind them. Some [redacted] called me "his bucky" for staying alway so close to him... are you suggesting ...

Dr. Erskine: I suggest nothing, we just have to proof all data. Continue.

Stone: I didn't really felt the pain. Why did had these gray skinned freaks to carry big guns in addition to big claws and teeth anyway?

But I must have blacked out as suddenly all the others were gone, I was unable to move and the captain was blinded. I still cannot believe we made it.

Dr. Erskine: Had the captain shown any irregularities or did he seemed not in full control of himself...

Stone: Stop! The man saved my life! I will not help you to get him framed for anything! I will...

Dr. Erskine:  Gamma - Zeta -Prime.

(sound of metal falling down)

Dr. Erskine: Get him back and delete all memories of this conversation.

End debriefing

English isn't my native language. Have patience, please.

WD's PbP characters (3e)
Martian Manhunter builds
Walking Dad
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Voidrazor » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:11 am

Rebis
PL 10

Abilities 50PP
Strength 0, Stamina 10, Agility 2, Dexterity 0, Fighting 10, Intellect 2, Awareness 2, Presence -1

Advantages 6PP
Accurate Attack, All-out Attack, Diehard, Fearless, Improved Initiative 1, Uncanny Dodge

Skills (12 ranks) 6PP
Expertise: Physics 4 (+6), Perception 4 (+6), Technology 4 (+6)

Powers

Spacial Warp: 8PP
Flight 4 (Speed: 30 miles/hour, 500 feet/round)

Aenigma Regis: 2PP
Immortality 1 (Return after 2 weeks)

Chaos-Infused Limb: [48 PP array]
Base - Warping Touch: Affliction 9 [48 active PP, 1st degree: Vulnerable, Impaired, 2nd degree: Stunned, Defenseless, 3rd degree: Transformed, Controlled, Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 19; Extras: Cumulative(+1), Extra Condition(+1), Progressive(+2) Feats: Accurate +1, Affects Insubstantial 2]
Dynamic Alt - Might of Chaos: Enhanced Strength 10 [20 active PP]
Dynamic Alt - Inhuman Flexibility: Enhanced Trait 8 [8 active PP; Defensive Attack, Fast Grab, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Power Attack, Precise Attack (Close, Concealment), Takedown 2)
Dynamic Alt - Chaoreformation: multiple effects [33 active PP]
  • Enhanced Trait 1 [Inventor advantage]
  • Enhanced Trait 7 [Technology +14(+20); Flaws: Limited (-1/r Only for invention checks)]
  • Quickness 16 [Flaws: Limited to one task (-2/r Invention only)]
  • Transform 1 [Affects: Anything, Transforms: 50 tons., DC 11; Extras: Continuous(+1), Area: shapeable(+1), Selective(+1) Feats: Increased Mass 16, Precise; Flaws: Activation 2 (standard action), Quirk (Results easy to distinguish from normal matter)]
Dynamic Alt - Morphic Appendage: multiple effects [43 active PP]
  • Morph 4 Flaws: Custom (-2/r Arm only)]
  • Feature [can grow sensory organs on limb]
  • Deflect 10 Extras: Reflect(+1), Redirect(+1)]
Dynamic Alt - Energy Arm: multiple effects [22 active PP]
  • Insubstantial 3 [9 active PP; Feats: Precise Flaws: Custom (-2/r Arm only)]
  • Elongation 14 [13 active PP, Elongation: 16 miles; Flaws: Quirk (Only arm elongates)]
Dynamic Alt - Warping Puissance: multiple effects [40 active PP]
  • Affliction 10 [1st degree: Vulnerable, 2nd degree: Stunned, 3rd degree: Transformed, Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 20; Extras: Cumulative(+1), Linked - Enhanced Strength 10]
  • Enhanced Strength 10 [Extras: Linked - Affliction]
Dynamic Alt - Disjoining Limb: multiple effects [48 active PP]
  • Extra Limbs 19 Extras: Sustained(+0), Projection(+1)]
  • Strength Effect 10 [10 active PP; Multiattack(+1/r) extra on 10 ranks of Strength]

Offense
Initiative +6
Unarmed +10 (DC toughness 25)
Grab: +10 (opponent gets -5 to opposed Str or Dodge resistance check)
Warping Touch: Cumulative Progressive Affliction 9 (DC Fort 19)
Warping Puissance: Cumulative Affliction 10 (DC Fort 20) linked to Strength Damage (DC Toughness 25)

Defense 15PP
Dodge 10, Parry 10, Fortitude 10, Toughness 10, Will 9

Power Points
Abilities 50 + Powers 72 + Advantages 7 + Skills 6 (12 ranks) + Defenses 15 = 150

Complications
Bizarre Appearance - Even when not using hir powers, part of Rebis' face and chest and all of hir left arm glow an eerie green and constantly writhe and mutate beneath transparent skin. S/he covers the disfigurement in bandages, but blending in is still nearly impossible.
Mistrusted - While the Science Police acknowledge that Rebis is a potent weapon, s/he is watched carefully and not trusted. She doesn't have police powers but is expected to obey the Science Police chain of command.
Motivation: Acceptance - Rebis doesn't expect to be accepted, but continues to strive for this despite all hardship.

Languages
English

Background
METROPOLIS SCIENCE POLICE Intelligence Report XR-Kz 228

CLEARANCE LEVEL ULTRAVIOLET
METROPOLIS SCIENCE POLICE HEADQUARTERS
COMMAND DIVISION
Office of Assistant Chief of Staff, G-2
27 August 2012
INTELLIGENCE REPORT NO. XR-Kz 228

SUBJECT: Overview and recommendations for Project Rebis.

SOURCE: Captain Peter Wisdom interim head of Special Projects Division

1. After the successes of Project Electro, Project Binary, and Project Quantum, Special Projects Division commissioned Starrware Labs to conduct Project Unity, a human augmentation experiment based on the Georgi–Glashow model Grand Unified Theory. Both SPD and Starrware acknowledged that the risks involved in Unity would necessarily be greater than those encountered in previous energy infusion projects in the series. But risk/benefit analysis placed the first human experiment within acceptable tolerances.

2. The initial human subject procedure conducted on 1 May 2011 resulted in an unexpected and catastrophic event. Investigations into nature of the event have been inconclusive, but the following theories regarding it have been proposed:
  1. The high energy field decoupled into interactions not before observed in physics.
  2. An incursion from the hostile dimension Orrorsh occurred approximately three hours after the experiment. The nascent portal interacted with the high energy field, precipitating the event.
  3. The test subject, Larry Trainor was already infected with organisms or energies from Orrorsh during a previous mission. This infection interacted with the high energy field, precipitating both the event and the subsequent incursion.
[/list][/list][/list]
3. During the event, subject Larry Trainor and project researcher Dr. Eleanor Poole were fused into a single being exhibiting properties that cannot be accounted for by known science (see Science Police medical investigation report XR-Pa 132). Three other researchers Dr. Alan Scott, Dr. Alexander Luthor, and Dr. Bruce Banner went missing and are presumed dead.

4. Project Unity was cancelled on 2 May 2011, and the amalgam being was taken into custody for study, and later psychological counseling.

5. During the incursion dated 17 April 2012 (invading dimension as yet undetermined) after the city shield had been breached, the amalgam escaped custody. Several eyewitness reports indicate that the amalgam aided Science Police units against the invaders. In the battle, the entity reportedly displayed advanced combat capabilities. However, a report by Lieutenant Jason Todd (see Science Police Intelligence Analysis Report IA-Se 2018) argues the enemy collusion cannot be ruled out. The amalgam returned to custody voluntarily once the crisis was resloved.

6. Project Rebis was formed as of 23 April 2012 as the designation for further activities involving the amalgam. The project comprises both evaluation of the risks posed by the amalgam (now codenamed eponymously after the project title) and the deployment of Rebis for military purposes.

7. During the multi-pronged incursion from Cyberpapacy forces dated 2 August 2012, Rebis was deployed in a holding action against an enemy unit led by an Inquisitor cyborg. It was expected that Rebis would simply delay the enemy advance long enough for the delivery of a Havok surface to surface missile. No friendly survivors were expected in the area. However, reports indicate that Rebis both succeeded in its task and was instrumental in the survival of infantry squad bravo of the 201st platoon.

RECOMMENDATION: Accelerate schedule of Project Rebis military deployment, but under the direct command of a successful augmentation subject or power armor equipped officer. In particular, the capabilities exhibited by Captain Steve Rodgers may counteract those of Rebis should the amalgam prove to be compromised by the enemy.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

< Excerpt from mission debriefing after 2 August 2012 deployment>

How do we feel about the mission? What do you really want us to tell you? That the unending stream of enemy 'parishioners' was horrifying? Perhaps. They were in filthy rags and clearly starving, but the metal implants attached to their heads, replacing their limbs were polished to a sheen only obsession could bring about. And yes, they seemed to have no more care for their lives than automatons, charging in wave after wave and screaming "repent" over and over. We don't like killing, and there were piles, literally waist high piles, of the dead, with more of them clambering over, heedless. But if you want us to be honest, it didn't really bother us.

You're writing furiously, trying, in vain we might add, to keep any reaction from your face. Perhaps you'd like to know how we felt about seeing slaughtered allies ... and civilians. That was harder. But, again being honest, what is clearest in our mind is seeing this one dead mother, her head barely attached, but still clutching her children, also dead, and feeling jealous. They are at peace now, even if it is the peace of oblivion. And they went together. In one sense we are not alone. He who was Larry and she who was Eleanor, we have each other. But its not the same. They are the two voices in our head that are both 'me'. But we have no family. Our former friends don't return our calls.

But you wanted to know about the mission. Specifically, what you are not asking, but want to know is 'do we resent being sent on a suicide mission?' No need for denials. Flying in, it was obvious that if the whole precinct wasn't subject to saturation bombing it was going to be overrun. So no, we feel no resentment. It was an opportunity, really. For the duration of the mission we didn't have to think as such; we could just react. And the people who would have died if we weren't there, they may still think of us as a freak. They probably do, having seen us uncovered. But with any luck, they think of us as the freak that saved them.
Last edited by Voidrazor on Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Voidrazor
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Zen_Gypsy » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:27 am

Captain Steve Rogers 'Cyclops' - PL 10

Strength 2, Stamina 6, Agility 4, Dexterity 4, Fighting 4, Intellect 4, Awareness 6, Presence 2

Advantages
Accurate Attack, Agile Feint, All-out Attack, Benefit, Security Clearance 2: Science Police, Defensive Roll 3, Extraordinary Effort, Inspire, Leadership, Power Attack, Set-up, Teamwork, Uncanny Dodge

Skills
Acrobatics 5 (+9), Athletics 4 (+6), Close Combat: Unarmed 2 (+6), Expertise: Small Unit Tactics 5 (+9), Insight 3 (+9), Perception 3 (+9), Ranged Combat: Paradoxical Axiom 4 (+8), Treatment 2 (+6), Vehicles 2 (+6)

Powers
Enhanced Reality: Immunity 10 (Common Descriptor: Paradigm Effects; Limited - Half Effect)
Paradoxical Axiom
. . Axiomatic Backlash
. . . . Blast: Blast 8 (Linked; DC 23; Accurate 2: +4)
. . . . Move Object: Move Object 8 (Linked; 6 tons; Limited Direction: Away from Blast Origin)
. . Axiomatic Burst: Line Area Damage 10 (DC 25; Line Area: 5 feet wide by 30 feet long)
. . Axiomatic Sweep: Cone Area Damage 6 (DC 21; Cone Area 2: 120 feet cone, Selective)
. . Focused Axiom: Blast 12 (extradimensional, quantum forces, DC 27; Penetrating, Split: 2 targets)

Offense
Initiative +4
Axiomatic Backlash: Blast 8, +12 (DC 23), Move Object 8 (DC 18)
Axiomatic Burst: Line Area Damage 10 (DC 25)
Axiomatic Sweep: Cone Area Damage 6 (DC 21)
Focused Axiom: Blast 12, +8 (DC 27)
Grab, +4 (DC Spec 12)
Throw, +4 (DC 17)
Unarmed, +6 (DC 17)

Complications
Honor
Motivation: Responsibility

Languages
English

Defense
Dodge 11, Parry 11, Fortitude 9, Toughness 9/6, Will 11

Power Points
Abilities 64 + Powers 34 + Advantages 15 + Skills 15 (30 ranks) + Defenses 22 = 150

<excerpt debriefing; Rogers, Steven. Captain.>

Rogers: We volunteered for it, Vic wouldn't let me down. I told the sergeant to tell the men if anyone of them wanted to stay behind we wouldn't think less of them. Hell. The lost angels, a hot zone, and with nobody else to rely on we needed eyes on the ground. Our job, go into the incursion zone, see what paradigm was pushing the shields.

Dr. Erskine: And what happened Captain Rogers.

Rogers: Steve's fine, doctor. I'm not on trial here ... am I?

Dr. Erskine: No Steven, continue. What happened in the incursion zone.

Rogers: It was weird, when we slipped into lost angels, we were moving in typical formation, eyes front. Our sniper and long range left and high, communications took a hit. Not jamming, not the enemy. <sighs> God, we didn't even know what the enemy was. Anyways. Communications started failing, interference or something. We didn't know then. But we were about to find out.

Dr. Erskine: How so?

Rogers: They came in hot, right at dusk. Classic, I should have seen it coming. Came at us like a wave of motion, moving fast, hard to make line of sight or keep a bead on them. Grey skinned. All teeth and hissing snarls. I've never seen anything like it. Hope I never have to again <pauses, and quieter> ... but that's never going to happen. They're out there. And their tech. Right out of Lex Corps play book. Plasma weapons, laser fire, it took us to pieces. And our gear well. It just stopped.

Dr. Erskine: Stopped?

Rogers: Dead, our communications, our weapons, just stopped. It was a kill zone. I ordered the retreat. We got the men under cover, that's when I noticed Vic. My sergeant has always been. Aggressive. He had one of these things in hand to hand, cracked it's skull against a wall. Left a sick stain, not blood, something thicker. God, and the smell. <pauses> That's when one of those things took a shot at Vic, hit him square with that plasma thing. He dropped like a rock. Not a scream, not a sound. I swear there was steam coming out of his mouth.

Dr. Erskine: I read your initial report Captain. He's in good care now, Starrware is ensuring he will get back to active duty.

Rogers: Good. He's a good man, I'd hate to lose him. I think that's why I did what I did. I ordered the men to continue to fall back. Private Barnes told me that when they fell back to the Metropolis perimeter their tech started functioning again. I started to see the pattern.

Dr. Erskine: That comes later, continue.

Rogers: I ran for Vic, his legs were shattered, picking him up his torso was like a sack of wet gravel, I knew we didn't have long. I dragged him into a cellar, we holed up for the night. It was real quiet, and that's when I noticed it, like the pressure before a storm, like something building. <a deep sigh> As their troops advanced it was like I could see them around us, feel them, like their history was being written right there in front of us. It was tangible, it washed over me. And I pushed back. I, I think I blacked out.

Dr. Erskine: Considering your injuries that was to be expected.

Rogers: I had visions when I passed out, dreams really. I saw our history, like, not Metropolis, not the United States, but our history, the history of man, and I saw these other histories, like a whole galaxy of possibilities. Extending outward forever and ever ... it made me feel small. And then nothing ... utter blackness, I could see, or hear, or feel, just was floating in ... nothingness.

Dr. Erskine: Hrm?

Rogers: There was an explosion, but not an explosion, it was bigger, more substantial, more real, and it pushed the blackness away, and replaced it with ... substance. With everything. I don't know what it was Doctor, but I can feel it in the back of my head. Pushing out, expanding. Even now.

Dr. Erskine: But you regained consciousness did you not Captain?

Rogers: Yes, but I was. I was blind. Vic was groaning in the corner, I don't know how that man had survived, but he did. We mounted up, me carrying him on my back, I was his body, he was my eyes. Two days we survived the incursion, without food, without water, without support, or weapons or gear. Two days. But we made it to the safe zone. Somehow. We evaded the patrols.

Dr. Erskine: Thank you Captain, that will be all today. The guards will escort you to your therapy sessions we will speak again tomorrow.

Rogers: <fist slams into the table> When do we go back out there Doctor, when do we take back what's ours. This fight isn't for land, it isn't for resources, it's for our Reality! We need to fight!

End debriefing
"If sacred spaces are spared the ravages of war -- make all places sacred. And if the holy people are to be kept harmless from war -- make all peoples holy." -- Norrin Radd (Silver Surfer: Requiem; J. Michael Straczynski)
Zen_Gypsy
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby RedBstrd » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:45 am

Eclipse (Dick Grayson)

Concept: Paradigm shifted gunslinging prowler; What if Dick Grayson became the Shadow?

Trademark quote: [Ominous laughter]

Abilities: Strength 2, Stamina 3, Agility 6, Dexterity 0, Fighting 6, Intellect 3, Awareness 4, Presence 4

Advantages:
Connected, Contacts, Defensive Roll 4, Equipment 5, Evasion, Hide in Plain Sight, Move-by Action, Power Attack, Precise Attack (Ranged, Concealment), Quick Draw, Ranged Attack 10, Takedown, Uncanny Dodge

Skills:
Acrobatics 3 (+9), Athletics 3 (+5), Close Combat: Escrima Sticks 4 (+10), Deception 4 (+8), Expertise: Streetwise 4 (+7), Insight 7 (+11), Intimidation 5 (+9), Investigation 3 (+6), Perception 6 (+10), Persuasion 1 (+5), Ranged Combat: Pistols 4 (+16), Stealth 8 (+14)

Powers:
Mind Reading 8 Eclipse Knows... (DC 18; Subtle; Limited to Surface Thoughts) • 9 pp
AE: Affliction 8 My Will Is Your Will (1st: Dazed, 2nd: Compelled, 3rd: Controlled, Resisted by: Will, DC 18; Accurate +2, Increased Range: Ranged; Sense-dependent: Hearing) • 1 pp
Concealment 4 Power to Cloud Mens' Minds (All Visual Senses; Limited: Requires Minds, Quirk: His shadow is visible in brightly lit rooms) • 3 pp
Senses 2 (Darkvision) • 2 pp

Equipment:
Costume (Protection 1) • 1 ep
Grappling Hook (Leaping 3: 60 ft., Movement 3: Safe Fall, Swinging) • 7 ep
Suction Pads (Wall Crawling 1) • 2 ep
Twin Pistols (Ranged Damage 4, Accurate +2) • 11 ep
AE: Damage 6 Escrima Sticks (Strength-based, Accurate +2) • 1 ep

Favored Paradigm: Noir - Any Golden Age settings where the dark outweighs the light.

Dimensional Anchor: Variable Pool - 5 pp; Limited to Invading Paradigms, Assigned by GM.

Dimensional Anchor: Quick Change 2

Paradigm Device - Dick's device attaches to his face as a red bandana when in his Eclipse persona. Otherwise, it serves as a red ring on his left hand.

Offense:
Initiative +6
Mind Reading (DC Will 18)
Escrima Sticks: Strength-based Damage +12 (DC 23)
Affliction +12 (DC Will 18)
Pistols +16 (DC 19)
Throw +10 (DC 17)
Unarmed +6 (DC 17)

Complications:
Identity - Dick Grayson spends much of his free time as the costumed hero Eclipse.
Jerk - Grayson didn't read his Kant. People are often pawns to him, which he justifies because the stakes are so high.
Rivalry - Eclipse's mentor likely still survives. The two are not hostile with each other but Grayson feels a need to assert his independence.
Uncompromising - Grayson knows who the good guys are and who the bad guys are. If you're a bad guy, the gloves are off.

Defenses: Dodge 12, Parry 12, Fortitude 8, Toughness 8/3, Will 12

Power Points: Abilities 56 + Powers 15 + Advantages 28 + Skills 26 (52 ranks) + Defenses 25 = 150

Build Notes: At the core, he's built around a stripped down version of the DCA build for Nightwing with some basic powers from the Shadow tacked on. Given that he's PL 10 (150 pp), he can't hit all of the high points that either Nightwing or the Shadow have (no minions, loss of tech mastery, and so on). Still, he's well-rounded and a bit of a skill monkey without being a scientific genius or master detective.

His Concealment is not passive so it functions even during combat, which is handy since he's Defense-shifted and doesn't have a lot in terms of defensive utility powers. He's also attack-shifted but easily disarmed. His weapons are the best of what Metropolis can provide, being perfectly balanced and weighted for his use. Given his relatively high attack:damage ratio, he'll use Power Attack 4 with his pistols on most occasions.

His Affliction is Ranged and Sense-dependent so it requires an attack roll from him but the defender does get a Dodge roll against it as well as the Will save. His Mind Reading is subtle, making it difficult even for the target and people with exotic senses to detect.

His build does not reflect the foreign languages he undoubtedly knows, so I'll spend Hero Points to get them if necessary.

History:

After watching Mafia bosses kill his parents, the young orphaned Grayson boy was taken in by a vigilante and used in the man's personal vendetta against organized crime. As part of his overall training, Grayson learned criminology, firearm use and maintenance, strategy, and language skills. His period of training ended poorly, however. Somewhat darker than his mentor, young Grayson killed his first man before the age of 18 (though the incident was certainly self-defense and not intentional). Troubled by the turn of events, he asserted his independence and headed to the Orient to fight his internal demons. There, he became a master of martial arts, fencing, Asian languages, stealth, and many secret kinds of wisdom known only in Tibet. Years later, having faced the darkness within himself, he returned to Metropolis but bore a new name... Eclipse. Shortly thereafter, realities began to collide. Realizing that men on their own would soon end up dead, he quickly offered his services to agencies fighting against dimensional incursions. He joined the Science Police, acting as a field agent against the invaders in times of crisis. During times of relative quiet, his duties generally involve reconnaissance and undercover work - duties aided by his ESP and near-invisibility.

For his abilities to hide himself to near invisibility and exert power over the weak minded, Grayson initially relied on skills acquired in the Orient. With the dimensional incursions, though, somehow planes of the spirit world and realms of magic are closer to Metropolis. Eclipse is finding that his training in the monasteries of TIbet and elsewhere set the stage for him to perform nearly supernatural or superhuman feats of mental trickery now that the world itself has changed.

Edits wrote:1. With his Concealment limited to Requires Minds, he had some free points. I raised his Agility back up to what Nighwing has and lowered the level of Accurate on his weapons, purchasing attack bonuses for the weapons through Skills.

2. I added a reference to the origin of Eclipse's powers. A Paradigm Shift origin for the powers seems more appropriate than an agent augment. That said, if the arrangement doesn't work for Bladewind, then Grayson could be a straight-forward augment. In the comics (particularly the new Ennis ones), the Shadow works along with military intelligence so working that angle into his power origins is entirely feasible.

3. The background is now more clear on Eclipse's relationship with the Science Police.
RedBstrd
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Bladewind » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:23 am

American Amazon

I remember a discussion in PM with Lord Fell that he preferes to keep his PCs on his thread - less places to post and all that.

Therefore, I will post here to link to his sheet as this is extremely useful to me...

American Amazon
Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Return to Roll Call