Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

Character idea/Power help

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.

Character idea/Power help

Postby Ash Williams » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:03 pm

So, I've got a character who's got a connection to a spirit creature (about a Level 4-5 Minion). The main character carries a melee weapon (which I'll figure out later). Occasionally, his weapon seems to have a mind of its own; in actuality, the spirit is wielding it while the main character's using another weapon. I thought at first about giving the weapon the Remote feature, but I'm not sure if this is right. Ideas/suggestions?
Find something to believe in. And find it for yourself. And when you do, pass it on to the future. - Iroquois Pliskin
Ash Williams
Sidekick
Sidekick

Re: Character idea/Power help

Postby Batgirl III » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:33 pm

Sounds like it could work well as an Alternate Power, with the Ranged Extra. Something along the lines of:

Magic Sword (Array; 5 PP Base) (Flaws: Easily Removable [-2 per 5]) [ 3 PP Total ]
Magic Sword (Melee) Damage 3 (Strength-Based; Extra: Improved Critical [1]) [ 4 PP ]
Alternate Power: Magic Sword (Spirit Possession) Damage 2 (Extra: Ranged) [ 1 PP ]
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Batgirl III
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Shock » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:36 pm

That doesn't allow the weapon to attack on its own. If you want extra actions/attacks, you have to go with a Minion or Summon type of power that's an alternate of the weapon power. The trick there is that if it's capable of acting autonomously, you can't get the Removable discount because it works even if it gets taken away.
Shock
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Batgirl III » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:16 pm

Generally speaking, M&M design discourages multiple actions -- attacks especially -- from one player in one round; this is why Summon, Duplication, Minion, and Sidekick are priced the way they are. My design was a suggestion meant to keep to that guideline, but if you do want it to be truly independent, than one of those four traits is your best bet.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Batgirl III
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Ash Williams » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:19 pm

I like the Alternate Power idea, Batgirl. Perhaps give it a Limited (requires Summoned Minion or must be wielded by Minion) Limitation.
Ash Williams
Sidekick
Sidekick

Return to Roll Call