Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

[3E] Penny's Build Party (Shutterbug)

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.

Moderators: The Mod Squad, The Justice League, M&M Line Developer

Hardbody

Postby badpenny » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:03 pm

Art by taghuso

Quote: (Laughing at the thug's gun) "I'll show you some guns!"
Power Level: 10
Concept: Beautiful Powerhouse
Legal Status: Citizen of the United States with no criminal record
Identity: Public
Place of Birth: Washington, DC
Marital Status: Single
Living Relatives: Trudy Oliver (grandmother)
Height: 6 ft. 6 in.
Weight: 300 lbs.
Eyes: Aquamarine
Hair: Midnight black
Bodycast: Jamie Reed Kovac

Hardbody - PL 10

Strength 12, Stamina 12, Agility 5, Dexterity 2, Fighting 8, Intellect 1, Awareness 3, Presence 3

Advantages
Attractive, Benefit, Wealth (well-off), Connected, Great Endurance, Improved Initiative, Improvised Tools, Interpose, Power Attack, Takedown, Ultimate Toughness

Skills
Acrobatics 1 (+6), Athletics (+12), Deception 5 (+8/+10), Expertise (PRE): Modeling 2 (+5), Insight 4 (+7), Perception 5 (+8), Persuasion 5 (+8/+10), Ranged Combat: Throw 6 (+8), Stealth (+5)

Powers
Enhanced Senses: Senses 2 (Extended and Low-light Vision) · 2 points

Hardened physique (Advantage: Great Endurance) · 1 point
. . Immunity 4 (Critical Hits, Uncommon Descriptor: Chemical) · 4 points
. . Impervious Toughness 10 · 10 points

Powerful Legs
. . Leaping 4 (Leap 120 feet at 30 miles/hour) · 4 points
. . Speed 4 (Speed: 30 miles/hour, 500 feet/round) · 4 points

Strength Effect
. . Foot Stomp: Line Area Damage 10 (Alternate; Extra: Line Area: 5 feet wide by 30 feet long; Flaw: Limited: Both Hardbody and targets must be in contact with the ground) · 1 point

Strong Hands: Movement 1 (Wall-crawling 1: -1 speed rank; Advantage: Improvised Tools; Quirk: Toughness of surface must be less than her damage bonus) · 2 points

Offense
Initiative +9
Foot Stomp: Line Area Damage 10 (DC 25)
Grab, +8 (DC Spec 22)
Throw, +8 (DC 27)
Unarmed, +8 (DC 27)

Complications
Fame: Charli is a public personality and is widely known on the body building/modeling circuit. She also is known for her crime fighting exploits.

Motivation: Thrills: Charli loves mixing it up with the bad guys and loves the challenge and the glory.

Temper: Due to the trauma of her kidnapping and experimentation ordeal, if Charli were to become Immobilized, she'd fully freak out and use Extraordinary Effort to break out and then stomp her attacker into a grease spot.

Weakness: Charli never really dealt with her trauma, so if she were ever to find herself in a laboratory again, she'd start to panic: she'll become Dazed and Vulnerable, and feel Compelled to flee (GM set Will check to resist)

Languages
English

Defense
Dodge 8, Parry 8, Fortitude 12, Toughness 12, Will 8

Power Points
Abilities 92 + Powers 28 + Advantages 8 + Skills 14 (28 ranks) + Defenses 8 = 150

Background: Charli Oliver had always been a tomboy and much more preferred to hang with the guys then do just about anything with the other girls. She got into weightlifting early on and as a pretty girl, it wasn't much of a leap to modeling.

At a party one night, Charli was abducted along with several other models by an insane scientist named Dr. Rictus who couldn't stand the sight of attractive women and vowed to vivisect them all! Needless to say, Charli was a handful and fought back. An accident in Rictus' lab doused her with chemicals and she went down for the count. Or at least Rictus thought so. The chemicals had a strange effect on Charli and forced a super-soldier-like process into her system. Her body's dynamics were painfully enhanced, but when she came out the other side, she had the ability and the wherewithal to defeat Rictus and rescue the girls. Of course, Charli became a media sensation and enjoyed her new found power and high profile.

Design journal: If Charli existed in the FCU, Dr. Rictus would be Dr. Peter Hanks and it would be the DNAScent process she was exposed to.

Hardbody is a straightforward powerhouse. She has some of the tricks from the Strength Power Profile for some added dimension. I think the most fun comes from playing against the type: she's a model first, then a hero. And when she fights, while she's good, she keeps it light with lots of flirting (could even be used as a Feint or a Trick).

For her to be most effective, the GM would need to allow/use some kind of Reputation bonus as her Fame shouldn't simply have a downside (as a Complication). Her Connected Advantage represents this to a degree, but she also knows people. She doesn't have any Intimidation skill 'cause that's just not how she rolls. She should be played somewhat naively (or perhaps overconfidently) as to her resilience. Even if clobbered, she'd still laugh about it.

The trauma that she endured (and since suppressed) is just waiting to be exploited by a GM.

The only area of doubt that I have is on the Strong Hands climbing power. With a damage bonus of +12, there's practically nothing around that has a material strength greater than her damage bonus. So just how much of a limitation is it? It's only a point, and it's a minor effect, but still.
Last edited by badpenny on Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
badpenny
Overlord
Overlord

Steel Blue

Postby badpenny » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:38 pm

Art by taghuso

Quote: "Sometimes the best man for the job isn't."
Concept: Battlesuit
Legal Status: Illegal alien; Citizen of Amerigo with no criminal record
Identity: Secret
Place of Birth: Verona, District of Columbus, Amerigo
Living Relatives: Adolfo (father)
Height: 5 ft. 8 in.
Weight: 130 lbs.
Eyes: Blue
Hair: Black

Steel Blue - PL 10

Strength 0, Stamina 1, Agility 0, Dexterity 1, Fighting 0, Intellect 9, Awareness 4, Presence 0

Advantages
Eidetic Memory, Improvised Tools, Inventor, Power Attack, Precise Attack (Ranged, Concealment), Precise Attack (Ranged, Cover), Skill Mastery: Expertise: Physical Sciences, Skill Mastery: Technology, Speed of Thought

Skills
Expertise: Cybernetics 1 (+10), Expertise: Engineering 1 (+10), Expertise: Life Sciences 1 (+10), Expertise: Physical Sciences 6 (+15 [25]), Insight 6 (+10), Investigation 1 (+10), Perception 6 (+10), Ranged Combat: Force Projection 7 (+8), Technology 6 (+15 [25]), Treatment 1 (+10)

Powers
Bio-plastic Nanites
. . Enhanced Defense 5 (Fortitude +5 (+10)) · 5 points
. . Protection 2 · 2 points
. . Regeneration 2 (Every 5 rounds out of armor; Extra: Stacks with Armor Nanites) · 2 points

Bio-plastic/DuraSteel Armor (Removable, -20 points)
. . Enhanced Defense 4 (Fortitude +4 (+10)) · 4 points
. . Protection 7 · 7 points
. . Bio-plastic Nanites: Regeneration 3+2 (Every 2 rounds) · 3 points
. . Cybernetic Interface (Advantages: Power Attack, Precise Attack (Ranged, Cover)) · 2 points
. . . . Enhanced Defense 14 (Dodge +7 (+10), Parry +7 (+10)) · 14 points
. . . . Mind Shield: Enhanced Defense 5 (Will +5 (+10); Extra: Impervious 5; Flaw: Limited to Mental effects) · 5 points
. . Feature 3 (Advantage: Improvised Tools; Notes: Gender/Identity masking, Internal Storage, PA System) · 4 points
. . Force Projection Array
. . . . Blast 12 · 26 points
. . . . Force Capture Bubble: Create 10 (Volume: 1000 cft.; Extra: Increased Duration: continuous; Flaw: Limited to trapping) · 1 point
. . . . Move Object 12 (100 tons) · 1 point
. . Force Propulsion: Flight 8 (Speed: 500 miles/hour, 1 mile/round; Extra: Aquatic) · 17 points
. . Radar: Senses 5 (Radio 5 (Accurate, Extended 2 (-1/1000 ft)) · 5 points
. . Sealed Environment: Immunity 10 (Life Support) · 10 points
. . Sensory Shielding: Immunity 5 (Sensory Affliction Effects; Flaw: Limited - Half Effect) · 3 points

Lightning Calculator: Quickness 3 (Perform routine tasks in -3 time ranks; Flaw: Limited to One Task: Mathematical calculations) · 1 point

Offense
Initiative +9
Blast 12, +8 (DC 27)
Force Capture Bubble: Create 10, +8 (DC 20)
Move Object 12, +8 (DC 22)

Complications
Identity: Catarina Bruzzano
Motivation: Responsibility: Catarina feels that she should use her God-given gifts for the betterment of society.
Quirk: Catarina's skin is mottled from where the Bio-Plastic nanites have repaired flesh with plastic.
Quirk: Woman out of time: Catarina is from an alternate dimension with a radically different time line.

Languages
English

Defense
Dodge 10/3, Parry 10/3, Fortitude 10/1, Toughness 10, Will 10/5

Power Points
Abilities 30 + Powers 90 + Advantages 5 + Skills 18 (36 ranks) + Defenses 7 = 150

Background: Catarina Bruzzano grew up in Verona, DC the sole daughter of Alfonso Bruzzano, a noted scientist and philanthropist. Catarina was expected to be a quiet, dutiful daughter, and at sixteen to be married off after her debut in society. Catarina would have none of this. In her reality, the Renaissance came hundreds of years earlier and Italian culture and influence dominated the world.

She was just as accomplished as her father in matters of science and medicine, and when her father was to debut his law enforcement droids for the elders in the City, and his AI design continued to malfunction, Catarina donned her own battlesuit design and debuted as one of her father's creations. The suit that she had created was made of bleeding edge bio-plastics and with her repeated donning of the armor, the bio-plastic nanites had infiltrated her system and had begun to reprogram her body, making her tougher and giving her body a heightened ability to repair itself.

After saving her father from disgrace, she revealed herself to her father who was neither surprised by his daughter's genius, nor her pluck to do so. The elders had naturally been impressed by the performance of the suit, and signaled their intention to purchase. This, however, put Catarina's father in a difficult situation: he'd still have to produce a working AI. Catarina worked with her father to meet the delivery deadline.

Catarina had developed a taste for flying and using the battlesuit. In a fight with a gravity-manipulating villain named Solar Wing, Catarina was caught in an artificial event horizon and flung into an alternate dimension.

Displaced in this alternate reality, Catarina struggles to find a place for her mind and her battlesuit.

Design journal: Once again the picture inspired me. I looked at it and said, "There's a woman in there!" Plus, there are not a lot of female scientists in the comic books; all of the brilliant inventors are men. Boo! Plus, in true Renaissance fashion, she's a scientist and a medical doctor!

I wanted to go a different way than the traditional battlesuit. I thought that it would be interesting if the suit created a problem for the user. The concept is that she would design a self-repairing suit with a "living" bio-plastic. What she didn't anticipate were the bio-plastic nanites jumping into her body. This has an upside and a downside: they repair her body, but are slowly (with every wound she sustains) replacing her flesh with plastic. I think this is a fun plot hook. I also like playing fish out of water types, and someone from an alternate timeline/earth is just something else to roleplay against.

The battlesuit itself isn't particularly tricky. She has two different Regen rates: one in, and one out of her suit. I don't envison her adventuring without her armor, but I thought I'd leave the potential for it open for exploit. Give your GM hooks; if they want to pick them up, so much the better!
Last edited by badpenny on Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:09 pm, edited 5 times in total.
badpenny
Overlord
Overlord

Re: [3E] Penny's Build Party (Steel Blue battlesuit)

Postby Shock » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:57 pm

The way you have that written, the Armament array is separate from her armor. Can she wear the gauntlets without the rest of the armor?
Shock
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: [3E] Penny's Build Party (Steel Blue battlesuit)

Postby badpenny » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:01 pm

Shock wrote:The way you have that written, the Armament array is separate from her armor. Can she wear the gauntlets without the rest of the armor?

It's really written that way for clarity. I like a lot of white space. But, now that you mention it, there might be enough power in the gauntlets themselves for a shot or two, should she find herself out of her armor and something nefarious were to go down....

If Hero Lab had a cut and paste or drag and drop function, I'd move it over, but I'm too lazy to have to recreate it now.
badpenny
Overlord
Overlord

Jet Black

Postby badpenny » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:07 am

Art by Storn

Quote: "This will blow you away!"
Concept: Ebony Armored Jet Fighter
Place of Birth: Desert Hot Springs, California
Living Relatives: Gene McGrath (father), Lily McGrath (mother)
Height: 5 ft. 10 in.
Weight: 175 lbs.
Eyes: Brown
Hair: Brown

Jet Black - PL 10

Strength 2, Stamina 3, Agility 2, Dexterity 1, Fighting 6, Intellect 5, Awareness 2, Presence 0

Advantages
Benefit: Wealth (well-off), Improved Initiative, Improvised Tools, Inventor, Move-by Action, Power Attack, Uncanny Dodge

Skills
Expertise: Military 1 (+6), Expertise: Science 8 (+13), Expertise: Superhumans 1 (+6), Insight 4 (+6), Investigation 2 (+7), Perception 6 (+12/+8), Technology 8 (+13), Vehicles 12 (+13)

Powers
Flight Suit (Removable, -19 points)
. . Enhanced Trait 14 (Fortitude +7 (+10), Perception +4 (+12), Dodge +2 (+8), Parry +2 (+8); Advantage: Improvised Tools) · 14 points
. . HUD: Senses 3 (Direction Sense, Extended: Vision 1: -1/100 ft, Infravision) · 3 points
. . Jet Engines Array (Advantage: Move-by Action)
. . . . Flight 10 (Dynamic; Speed: 2000 miles/hour, 4 miles/round; Extra: Subtle: DC 20; Quirk: Subtle only works up to half Flight ranks) · 21 points
. . . . Groundstrike: Burst Area Affliction 10 (1st degree: Dazed, Vulnerable, 2nd degree: Stunned, Prone; Resisted by Dodge, Overcome by Fortitude; Extras: Burst Area: 30 feet radius sphere, Extra Condition; Flaws: Limited: to targets on the ground, Limited Degree) · 1 point
. . . . Jet Blast: Line Area Move Object 10 (Dynamic; 25 tons; Extras: Line Area: 5 feet wide by 30 feet long, Damaging; Flaws: Limited Direction: Away, Reduced Range: close) · 2 points
. . . . Jet Punch: Strength-based Damage 8 (Dynamic; Extras: Accurate 2 (+4), Penetrating 8) · 2 points
. . . . Power-lifting 8 (Dynamic; 25 tons) · 2 points
. . Protection 9 (Extra: Impervious) · 18 points
. . Public Address System: Feature 1 · 1 point
. . Radar: Senses 12 (Radio 12 (Accurate, Counters Concealment (Radio) and Illusion, Distance Sense, Extended 2: -1/1000 ft, Tracking 2); Advantage: Uncanny Dodge) · 13 points
. . Self Contained: Immunity 10 (Life Support) · 10 points
. . Sensory Shielding: Immunity 5 (Sensory Affliction Effects; Flaw: Limited - Half Effect) · 3 points
. . Stealth: Concealment 2 (Infrared, Radio) · 4 points

Hotshot Pilot: Enhanced Skill 6 (training; Vehicles +12 (+13); Flaw: Limited to aircraft) · 3 points

Lightning Calculator: Quickness 3 (talent; Perform routine tasks in -3 time ranks; Flaw: Limited to One Task: Mathematical Calculations) · 1 point

Offense
Initiative +6
Grab, +6 (DC Spec 12)
Groundstrike: Burst Area Affliction 10 (DC Fort 20)
Jet Blast: Line Area Move Object 10 (DC 25)
Jet Punch: Strength-based Damage 8, +10 (DC 25)
Unarmed, +6 (DC 17)

Complications
Identity: Jet Black is Connor McGrath

Motivation: Thrills: Connor is out for the thrills of high speed flight and duking it out with the creeps of the world.

Quirk: Connor is learning to live with his secret identity, but he still chafes under his dad's shadow and "not having made a name for himself" like his father, "the legend."

Relationship: Connor is close to his parents. His relationship with his father is beginning to strain because Gene casts a big shadow, and the relationship between his mom and dad is beginning to crumble after thirty years of marriage.

Languages
English

Defense
Dodge 8/6, Parry 8/6, Fortitude 10/3, Toughness 12/3, Will 7

Power Points
Abilities 42 + Powers 79 + Advantages 4 + Skills 15 (30 ranks) + Defenses 9 = 150

Background: Connor McGrath is a military brat and talented engineer who, while working under his father--an even more impressive aeronautical engineer--developed a jet-powered flight suit. The miniature jet turbines were so efficient and provided so much lift that Connor enhanced the flight suit and adopted a secret identity to at first, "Have some fun." But over time, Connor began to get more serious about his crimefighting career and with the blessing of his father he took up the mantle of public hero.

The Jet Black flight suit allows Connor to cruise at over a thousand miles an hour, and if he kicks in the afterburners can cross mach 5. If he reverses the thrust of the jet engines he can accomplish a few different things: he can use the thrust to create a powerful gust of air that can fling his target backwards; he can use the power of the jet engine to deliver a devastating punch; he can use the power of the leg engines to stomp on the ground to emanate a shock wave in all directions; he can use the thrust of the engines to increase his lifting capacity. The flight suit is made of a hybrid carbon nanotubes and dieletric composites. It is highly resistant to damage. It has a stealth suite that masks both its radar and infrared signatures and it's sealed against CBRN (chemical, biological, radiological, nuclear) environments as well as insulating against sensory assaults.

Design journal: Jet Black started with the idea of the play on words, a battlesuit, and a dynamic array. I found a bunch of old 70s comics in the 25-cent bin at my local shop and one of the characters was Marvel's the Torpedo. I basically riffed on that idea.

Dynamic Arrays require more work, and tactical decision making (something I'm fond of). I don't think I'm brave enough to play someone with their protection thrown into the dynamic mix. I recall in one of my first college Champions games (was that really 12 years ago?!) someone played a character like this and he was getting creamed. I was put off Multipowers (unless they were Ultra slots) from then on. Moving Protection out of the equation (as armor, instead of some kind of variable force field) works for me here as I can just concentrate on how much he needs to move versus how much he needs to attack. The Groundstike is the only non-dynamic slot because he needs to stamp on the ground.

It would be an interesting discussion to set some benchmarks on just how "smart" (read: how many ranks in Expertise: Science and Technology) you have to be to invent some of these things. Is +13 enough? With a routine check he can push past "Challenging" and with a 20 he could achieve a "Formidable" result. Tony Stark probably has these skills at low 20s and probably Skill Mastery for maximum results into the 40s of "Nigh-impossible." As a PL 10 character, Connor would be limited to a +20, but what about real world super-geniuses? Do they have to be higher PL to allow for their skill maxes? What are the skill bonuses for the scientists who come up with some real world bleeding-edge tech? Intelligence is always a tough Ability to scale. And can you really justify investing a 1/2 point in a skill and getting away with high ranks just because of your fat INT bonus?

I wish Communication wasn't so expensive. He really needs Radio Communication and while I could tuck it away as an AE of his Radar, it makes zero sense that he couldn't both communicate and track a bad guy with his radar simultaneously. But encrypted Radio Communication 3 is 13 points!
badpenny
Overlord
Overlord

Allie Kazam

Postby badpenny » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:02 am

Art by taghuso

Quote: "Go, Hepsie, go!"
Power Level: 6
Concept: Fledgling mage with cat familiar
Legal Status: Minor; Citizen of the United States with no criminal record
Place of Birth: Philadelphia, PA
Living Relatives: Adelicia (mother), Wilton (father), Harry (brother)
Height: 5 ft. 8 in.
Weight: 120 lbs.

Allie Kazam - PL 6

Strength -1, Stamina 1, Agility 1, Dexterity 1, Fighting 0, Intellect 0, Awareness 2, Presence 1

Advantages
Attractive, Defensive Roll 5, Luck 2, Uncanny Dodge

Skills
Deception 4 (+5/+7), Expertise: Magic 4 (+4), Insight 4 (+6), Investigation 2 (+2), Perception 6 (+8), Persuasion 4 (+5/+7), Sleight of Hand 4 (+5)

Powers
Cat Familiar Array
. . CATastrophe: Damage 6 (Extras: Increased Range 2: perception, Indirect 4: any point, any direction, Subtle 2: undetectable, Variable Descriptor: Cat Shenanigans) · 25 points
. . Hijinx: Affliction 6 (1st degree: Impaired, Vulnerable, 2nd degree: Disabled, Defenseless; Extras: Alternate Resistance (Dodge), Extra Condition, Increased Range 2: perception, Indirect 4: any point, any direction, Subtle 2: undetectable; Flaw: Limited Degree) · 1 point
. . Move Object 6 (3200 lbs.; Extras: Increased Range: perception, Indirect 4: any point, any direction, Precise, Subtle 2: undetectable) · 1 point
. . Sensory Link: Remote Sensing 6 (Affects: Visual & Auditory, Range: 1800 feet; Extras: No Conduit, Subtle: DC 26) · 1 point
. . Shapeable Area Flight 6 (Speed: 120 miles/hour, 1800 feet/round; Extras: Affects Others, Shapeable Area: 30 feet, cubic; Flaw: Platform) · 1 point

Charmed Life: Feature 1 (Advantages: Luck 2) · 3 points
Commune with Hepsie: Senses 10 (Radius Vision Counters and Penetrates All Concealment; Flaw: Limited to targeting Hepsie's actions) · 5 points
Hephzibah: Feature 2 (Hepsie knows things; Hepsie's visible) · 2 points
Hepsie's got my Back: Enhanced Trait 16 (Dodge +5 (+6), Parry +5 (+6); Advantages: Defensive Roll 5, Uncanny Dodge) · 16 points

Offense
Initiative +1
CATastrophe: Damage 6 (DC 21)
Hijinx: Affliction 6 (DC Dodge 16)
Move Object 6 (DC 16)

Complications
Enemy: Hephzibah is an ancient being who has been around and made lots of enemies. Where Hepsie goes, so they might follow.

Identity: Allie Kazam is Henrietta ("Hettie") Huffington

Motivation: Thrills: It's all fun and games until someone puts an eye out! Hettie has not grasped that Hephzibah has chosen her for something monumental.

Prejudice: Hettie is a teenager and is subject to curfew, obligation to be in school, etc.

Responsibility: Hettie has demands on her time: friends, family, school....

Languages
English

Defense
Dodge 6/1, Parry 6/1, Fortitude 4, Toughness 6/1, Will 8

Power Points
Abilities 10 + Powers 55 + Advantages 1 + Skills 14 (28 ranks) + Defenses 10 = 90

Backstory: Henrietta ("Hettie") was born accidentally into a family of mages. She's twelve years younger than her brother Harry, and the magickal means by which her mother used to keep from getting pregnant again failed. Or maybe Hettie was just lucky. Hettie is one of the Cunning Folk, a natural practioner of magic. She has yet to perform any actual magic (beyond stage craft), and only appears to be lucky (serendipitous).

When she was nine, her cat, Hephzibah, came into her life. It literally appeared in her window one morning and refused to leave. Hephzibah has been Hettie's teacher in the arcane arts, and protects her (the cat is seemingly impervious to harm, can fly, and is surprisingly strong). At eleven, Hettie adopted her stage name of Allie Kazam, thinking it was a fine pun indeed.

Design journal: Allie Kazam once again began with the picture. I had to decide what to do about the cat. Was it going to play a part in the character's concept? What would the concept be? Obviously she's a Zatanna homage, and the obvious choice was to make her some kind of witch with a cat familiar. If I went that way, what would the cat be? A Minion or Sidekick? When I first worked up the concept, I was unsure how much power I should invest in the cat.

My first thought was to make the cat normal, except for a Mindlink with Hettie. There wasn't a lot you could do with that, even if the cat had human intelligence. Mindlink became Sensory Link and now the cat could effectively be eyes and ears for the character. That was a lot of points and, more importantly, the cat was fragile. In the real world you might be able to count on someone ignoring an animal in the midst of criminal enterprise. But in the heightened world of comics, I couldn't count on that. A GM might very well target the cat, and without making it very beefy indeed, well, it felt like a catastrophe waiting to happen.

Then the Luck Power Profile came out and I saw the write ups for some of the effects and I thought that with a simple change in descriptor, you could attribute those affects to the cat. It didn't have to be a "real" cat. The cat was the descriptor for the effects. Here's the hitch: to make this work, you'll have to have the GM's buy in that A) a simple Feature is enough to grant the cat a visible appearance, and B) allow Subtle 2 effects. Subtle 2 effects often raise a red flag for GMs (and in a lot of cases, rightly so).

Here's the set up for her powers: for all intents and purposes, the cat is real. It can fly (and cart others around). "It" zooms around the combat area and attacks opponents. Of course the player is controlling the actions (it's not independent to any degree like a Minion or Sidekick might be--they're supposed to be loyal, but they're still independent and to some degree open to GM intervention). The player has to spend the Standard action to target "Hepsie's" actions. The Senses allow her to bypass intervening cover so that if Hepsie were on the other side of a building, the player could still "see" to target. The cat also zooms in to protect Hettie ("Hepsie's got my Back").

All in all, a fun character to play in my playtesting. Her evolution as a hero doesn't actually require experience points since her powers were not bought through a device. It would simply be through roleplaying that you could decide that she's "graduated" and now the descriptor would change from the cat is doing everything, to Hettie is the one with the power. You could reveal in a flashback that it was her all along and the cat was simply acting as a "crutch." If, on the other hand, her powers were granted from, say, a magic ring/wand, then she'd have to buy off the Removable discount with experience.
badpenny
Overlord
Overlord

Golden Tiger

Postby badpenny » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:02 pm

Art by Eddie Nunez

Quote: "Violence is the last resort"
Power Level: 9 / 150
Concept: Tiger totem / martial arts master
Place of Birth: Phoenix, AZ
Living Relatives: none
Height: 5 ft. 11 in. / 6 ft. 4 in. as Golden Tiger
Weight: 170 lbs. / 240 lbs as Golden Tiger
Hair: Black / tiger stripes as Golden Tiger

Golden Tiger - PL 9

Strength 4/3, Stamina 6, Agility 7, Dexterity 2, Fighting 9, Intellect 0, Awareness 7, Presence 2

Advantages
Agile Feint, All-out Attack, Assessment, Defensive Roll, Fascinate (Intimidation), Great Endurance, Hide in Plain Sight, Improved Critical 2: Tiger Palm, Improved Initiative, Language 1, Power Attack, Takedown, Uncanny Dodge

Skills
Acrobatics 3 (+14/+10), Expertise: Philosophy 4 (+4), Insight 4 (+11), Intimidation 8 (+14/+10), Perception 8 (+15), Stealth 3 (+14/+10)

Powers
Animal Senses: Senses 7 (Danger Sense (Smell), Extended Hearing, Low-light Vision, Acute and Tracking Smell 2: full speed, Ultra-hearing) · 7 points

Channel the Tiger (Activation: Move Action, -1 point)
. . Tiger Agility
. . . . Enhanced Skill 2 (Acrobatics +4 (+14)) · 2 points
. . . . Leaping 3 (Leap 60 feet at 16 miles/hour) · 3 points
. . . . Movement 1 (Safe Fall) · 2 points
. . Tiger Climb: Movement 1 (claws; Wall-crawling 1: -1 speed rank; Flaw: Limited to surfaces with material Toughness less than Strength modifier) · 1 point
. . Tiger Menace: Enhanced Trait 3 (Intimidation +4 (+14); Advantage: Fascinate (Intimidation)) · 3 points
. . Tiger Speed: Speed 2 (Speed: 8 miles/hour, 120 feet/round) · 2 points
. . Tiger Strength: Enhanced Strength 1 · 2 points

Chi Mastery Array (Advantage: Great Endurance) · 1 point
. . Nerve Strike: Cumulative Affliction 7 (1st degree: Impaired, 2nd degree: Disabled, 3rd degree: Paralyzed, Resisted and Overcome by Fortitude; Extras: Accurate: +2, Cumulative, Precise), Reversible · 17 points
. . Restorative Chi: Healing 5 (Extras: Persistent, Restorative, Stabilize) · 1 point
. . Tiger Palm: Strength-based Damage 5 (Advantage: Improved Critical 2; Extras: Affects Insubstantial: half ranks, Penetrating 8, Reach (melee): 5 ft.) · 1 point

Chi Supremacy: Immunity 2 (Chi Effects; Flaw: Limited - Half Effect) · 1 point
Tiger Stalking: Enhanced Trait 3 (mystic; Stealth +4 (+14), Advantage: Hide in Plain Sight) · 3 points

Offense
Initiative +11
Grab, +9 (DC Spec 14)
Nerve Strike: Cumulative Affliction 7, +11 (DC Fort 17)
Tiger Palm: Strength-based Damage 5, +9 (DC 23/24, Crit 18-20, Penetrating 8)
Unarmed, +9 (DC 19)

Complications
Identity: Golden Tiger is Nolan Dane

Motivation: Responsibility: As the chosen Golden Tiger, it is his duty to safeguard the helpless

Quirk: Golden Tiger has an aura that is detectable by Mystic Awareness

Relationship: Kamala, the love of his life.

Languages
English, Vietnamese

Defense
Dodge 11, Parry 11, Fortitude 8, Toughness 7/6, Will 8

Power Points
Abilities 72 + Powers 45 + Advantages 9 + Skills 15 (30 ranks) + Defenses 9 = 150

Background: In 1725, Phan Sinh Giap, a grand master in Vo Lam Kung Fu began the Tiger Cult combining his extensive knowledge of martial arts and an ancient tiger totem mysticism to create a group of dedicated warrior monks.

Over the course of the last several centuries, the Tiger Cult has fought for the protection of the helpless all over the world. Once a generation, the Tiger Totem is called and the individual selected is trained and inculcated in the ways of the tiger. If found worthy, the chosen one is bestowed the power of the tiger itself and dedicates his or her life to martial service of others as the Golden Tiger.

At fives years old, Nolan Dane was called as his generation's chosen one. His parents were American missionaries in Vietnam. They were contacted and Nolan's Path was explained to them. He would journey to the temple where he would be tested. If he passed, he would begin his training. If he passed his training, he would demonstrate his worth. If he was found worthy, he would receive the power of the Tiger Totem and become the current Golden Tiger.

But there are dark forces at work in the world, and the Tiger Cult have earned enemies from every point on the globe. It was at the point of the revelation of Nolan Dane's destiny that these dark forces struck trying to disrupt the selection of the Golden Tiger. The Tiger Cult monks along with their ambassadors fought off the unknown attackers, but in the battle, Nolan's parents were killed. A Tiger nun with the power of invisibility concealed the young boy and made her way back to the monastery where Nolan began his training.

Nolan proved himself a difficult student. He was unable to let the death of his parents go and he did not take to his martial training. It wasn't until he began his Tiger Stalking training under the nun, Kamala, who had rescued him that he began to truly learn. Kamala was only thirteen, herself, and the two kids bonded quickly. Initially, Kamala took on the role of big sister, but as they grew up, it became secretly romantic. When Nolan was twenty, his relationship with Kamala was discovered and he never saw her again.

At this point, Nolan's training was nearly complete when violence came to the temple in the form of Chinese brigands who had discovered the hidden valley. They preyed on the villages and Nolan was dispatched to handle them. All of them. He proved himself a fearsome warrior, though his terminated relationship with Kamala made him vengeful and he didn't fight honorably.

Nolan spent a lot of time in meditation and worked out his issues, finally coming to a point of peace where his masters felt he was ready to take on the full mantle of the Tiger.
badpenny
Overlord
Overlord

Ironhand

Postby badpenny » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:28 pm

Art by Jon Gibbons

Quote: "Dude, don't mess with the chick with the alien gauntlet, 'kay?"
Concept: Urban hottie with alien gauntlet
Place of Birth: Chicago, IL
Marital Status: single
Living Relatives: Paulina Stuart (mother), Fred Stuart (father), Millie (sister), Effy (sister)
Height: 5 ft. 5 in.
Weight: 130 lbs.
Hair: Red

Ironhand - PL 10

Strength 0, Stamina 2, Agility 2, Dexterity 2, Fighting 0, Intellect 2, Awareness 2, Presence 2

Advantages
Accurate Attack, All-out Attack, Attractive, Power Attack

Skills
Deception 6 (+8/+10), Expertise: Art 4 (+6), Insight 7 (+9), Perception 5 (+7), Persuasion 6 (+8/+10), Ranged Combat: Gravity Control 6 (+8), Technology 8 (+10)

Powers
Anti-Gravity: Flight 8 (Speed: 500 miles/hour, 1 mile/round; Extra: Subtle: DC 20) · 17 points

Gauntlet Computer
. . Datalink: Radio Communication 1 (Flaw: Limited: to Machines/Electronics) · 3 points
. . Galactic Language Databank: Comprehend 2 (Languages - Understand All, Languages - You're Understood) · 4 points
. . Machine Control: Move Object 1 (Extra: Precise; Flaw: Limited: to Operating Machines) · 2 points
. . Machine Interface: Comprehend 2 (Machines / Electronics) · 4 points

Gravitic Shield: Protection 10 (Extra: Sustained) · 10 points

Gravity Control Array
. . Anti-Gravity Field: Burst Area Move Object 10 (25 tons; Extras: Burst Area: 30 feet radius sphere, Subtle: DC 20; Flaw: Limited Direction: Up) · 1 point
. . Gravikinesis: Move Object 12 (100 tons; Extras: Precise, Subtle: DC 20) · 26 points
. . Gravity Blast: Damage 12 (Extras: Increased Range: ranged, Subtle: DC 20) · 1 point
. . Gravity Field: Burst Area Move Object 10 (25 tons; Extras: Burst Area: 30 feet radius sphere, Subtle: DC 20; Flaw: Limited Direction: Down) · 1 point

Immunity 2 (Uncommon Descriptor: Gravitic) · 2 points

Offense
Initiative +2
Anti-Gravity Field: Burst Area Move Object 10 (DC 20)
Gravikinesis: Move Object 12, +8 (DC 22)
Gravity Blast: Damage 12, +8 (DC 27)
Gravity Field: Burst Area Move Object 10 (DC 20)

Complications
Identity: Annika Stuart
Motivation: Thrills

Languages
All

Defense
Dodge 8, Parry 8, Fortitude 10, Toughness 12, Will 10

Power Points
Abilities 24 + Powers 71 + Advantages 4 + Skills 21 (42 ranks) + Defenses 30 = 150

Background: Annika and her family were on a vacation and camping trip in Joshua Tree when Annika began hearing voices. She tried to keep it to herself, but the voices were distracting and it soon became clear that something was wrong. Annika's parents decided to head back into the city to have her seek treatment. Before they left the National Park, Annika clutched at her head and screamed for her father to stop the car. She bolted from the car and fled into the desert. For days they searched for her, but couldn't find her.

Annika had been called to an alien artifact: the sole remaining piece of a battlesuit, the gauntlet. It was the power in the alien glove that had been calling to her in every conceivable language that now pulled her toward it buried in the desert. Once she had touched it, and then placed in on her own hand, the whole story was revealed to her. The pilot of the battlesuit had been in pursuit of a heinous interstellar terrorist, but had been injured and was drifting toward Earth's atmosphere with his suit's protective systems compromised. The pilot died upon reentry, but the battlesuit utilized a synthetic DNA as part of its makeup that it now transferred to Annika. She would be able to camouflage the gauntlet but it was now a part of her as well as the power it possessed. Over the course of several weeks, the alien device rewrote Annika's DNA.

She took the time to her master her new powers and began appearing on the local scene as Ironhand.
badpenny
Overlord
Overlord

Raptor

Postby badpenny » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:46 pm

Art by Storn

Quote: "Come on...try me! I'm gonna take you down!"
Power Level: 8
Concept: Flying vigilante (and former criminal)
Legal Status: Citizen of the United States with a criminal record
Place of Birth: Hub City
Height: 6 ft. 2 in.
Weight: 195 lbs.

Raptor - PL 8

Strength 5, Stamina 5, Agility 7, Dexterity 1, Fighting 5, Intellect 1, Awareness 1, Presence 2

Advantages
All-out Attack, Defensive Roll 2, Diehard, Improved Critical: Muay Thai, Power Attack, Takedown

Skills
Acrobatics 4 (+11), Close Combat: Muay Thai 4 (+9), Deception 6 (+8), Expertise: Streetwise 9 (+10), Insight 4 (+5), Intimidation 7 (+9), Investigation 6 (+7), Perception 6 (+7), Stealth (+7)

Powers
Flight Suit (Removable, -5 points)
. . Adaptive Camouflage: Concealment 4 (All Visual Senses; Flaw: Passive) · 4 points
. . Flight 7 (gravity; Dynamic; Speed: 250 miles/hour, 0.5 miles/round; Extra: Subtle (Hearing, DC 20)) · 16 points
. . . . Gravitic Pulse: Line Area Move Object 7 (Dynamic Alternate; 3 tons; Extras: Line Area: 5 feet wide by 30 feet long, Damaging, Subtle (Visual, DC 20); Flaws: Limited Direction: Away, Reduced Range: close) · 2 points
. . Senses 3 (Vision 3 (Extended, Infravision, Low-light Vision)) · 3 points

Martial Artist: Strength-based Damage 2 (Muay Thai; Advantage: Improved Critical) · 3 points

Offense
Initiative +7
Grab, +5 (DC Spec 15)
Gravitic Pulse: Line Area Move Object 7 (DC 22)
Martial Artist: Strength-based Damage 2, +9 (DC 22, Crit 19-20)

Complications
Enemy: the actual owners of the suit
Identity: Tanner Vaughn
Motivation: Justice: Feigned
Secret: former criminal past

Languages
English

Defense
Dodge 9, Parry 9, Fortitude 7, Toughness 7/5, Will 7

Power Points
Abilities 54 + Powers 23 + Advantages 6 + Skills 23 (46 ranks) + Defenses 14 = 120

Background: Tanner Vaughn was an up and coming thug. He demonstrated clear thinking and that he could follow orders. A major deal was about to go down and Tanner wanted in. He was recommended for the job and for his part in it, he scored and scored big time. He had more money than he knew what to do with. Well, that wasn't entirely true: he blew a lot of it on booze and broads. But that got old. He wanted more. He hadn't made a fool of himself with his new found wealth and that held him in good stead. Because people were watching. Important people. Powerful people.

He was being recruited by Dabney Donovan, the former head of the Cadmus Project. Donovan, who'd invented the DNAlien process was now in need of funding and had been contracted to create human-looking supers. The subjects would be mind-wiped and be loyal agents of Donovan's benefactor. For Tanner, the invitation was irresistible (not knowing about the mind-wiping part). What he didn't know was that by the time the offer was made, you either accepted or you disappeared. Once again, he chose wisely.

In the middle of the process, the warehouse was raided by Checkmate. Tanner went unnoticed for hours in a stabilization chamber as everyone was arrested and taken away. During one perfectly timed lull in all the action, Tanner was able to sneak away. He hid for an hour in a large closet where he came across the flight suit he wears today. He had no idea how he would get out of the building--the place was swarming with agents and supers.

He donned the suit and while he was surprised how well it fit, he didn't spend a lot of time mulling it over. He made his exit with a hand wave to a Checkmate agent who smiled and waved back. With his new found coordination, he mastered the suit's operations. Now what to do? He kind of had a new identity. He couldn't get the scene of the Checkmate agent waving him by out of his head. Man, that was nice. He could be a member of the In Crowd. The heroes. He could lay a beat down on the "bad guys" and reinvent himself. What would that world look like? His features had changed along with his body. What else had changed?

Tanner intervened in the first crime he came across flying over the city. It was a simple mugging and he easily bested the criminal. To test his new found status, he stayed until the cops took the mugger away and even passed the time with the cops chatting it up like he had been around. Of course, they didn't know who he was, but they had to play it off like they weren't out of the loop ("So many heroes these days...can't keep 'em straight. Yeah, he seemed like a nice guy. Yeah.").

But what to do for money? Was he going to try to hold down some dumb job and try to juggle two lives? That seemed ridiculous. He knew that some heroes did it. But that wasn't for him. No, there was plenty of money to be made in bounties, skip tracing and flat-out rewards.

And Raptor was going to be one well-hatched plan.

Submitted for Horsenhero's Hub City Blues game
badpenny
Overlord
Overlord

The Chain

Postby badpenny » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:37 pm

Art by Storn

Quote: "I'm gonna enjoy this!"
Concept: Powerhouse with alien artifact
Legal Status: Citizen of the United States with sealed criminal record
Identity: Public
Place of Birth: Chicago, IL
Living Relatives: Brian Terry (father)
Height: 6 ft. 5 in.
Weight: 1,000 lbs.
Hair: Bald

The Chain - PL 10

Strength 10, Stamina 10, Agility 4, Dexterity 0, Fighting 9, Intellect 2, Awareness 2, Presence 2

Advantages
All-out Attack, Chokehold, Close Attack 1, Connected, Contacts, Diehard, Great Endurance, Improved Critical 2: The Chain, Improved Defense, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Improved Initiative, Improved Smash, Luck, Power Attack, Precise Attack (Close, Cover), Quick Draw, Startle, Takedown, Weapon Break

Skills
Athletics (+10), Deception 6 (+8), Expertise: Streetwise 8 (+10), Insight 6 (+8), Intimidation 12 (+14), Investigation 6 (+8), Perception 6 (+8), Persuasion 6 (+8), Stealth (+4)

Powers
Alien metal physiology (Advantages: Diehard, Great Endurance) · 2 points
. . Density Growth 3 (+3 STR, +3 STA, -1 active defenses; Extras: Density; Flaws: Permanent) · 6 points
. . Leaping 3 (Leap 60 feet at 16 miles/hour) · 3 points
. . Regeneration 5 (Every 2 rounds) · 5 points
. . Speed 3 (Speed: 16 miles/hour, 250 feet/round) · 3 points

Street Contacts: Feature 1 (Advantage: Connected; Note: He can use his Expertise: Streetwise to make Connected checks rather than Persuasion) · 2 points

Strength Effect 10
. . Crack the Whip: Line Area Affliction 10 (Alternate; 1st degree: Dazed and Vulnerable, 2nd degree: Prone and Stunned; Resisted by Dodge, Overcome by Fortitude; Extras: Line Area: 5 feet wide by 30 feet long, Extra Condition; Flaws: Limited to targets on the ground, Limited Degree) · 1 point
. . Ear-boxing: Affliction 10 (Alternate; 1st degree: Impaired and Vulnerable, 2nd degree: Disabled and Stunned; Resisted by: Will; Extra: Extra Condition; Flaw: Limited Degree) · 1 point
. . Headbutt (Alternate; Extra: Subtle (Visual DC 20) · 1 point

The Chain (Easily Removable (Indestructible), -5 points)
. . Restricted: Feature 1 (Note: Standard chain to anyone else) · 1 point
. . Strength Effect 10 (Advantages: Chokehold, Improved Critical 2, Improved Defense, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Improved Smash, Precise Attack (Close, Cover), Weapon Break; Extras: Reach (melee) 4: 20 ft.) · 13 points

Offense
Initiative +8
Crack the Whip: Line Area Affliction 10 (DC Fort 20)
Ear-boxing: Affliction 10, +10 (DC Will 20)
Grab, +10 (DC Spec 20)
The Chain, +10 (DC 25, Crit 18-20)
Unarmed, +10 (DC 25)

Complications
Fame: The Chain is one of the local heroes of the alien invasion and has some celebrity.

Motivation: Acceptance: As a former Mob enforcer, Pug feels like he's done some things he regrets and feels like he's not accepted as a hero now (or resented as one by his former companions).

Power Loss: The Chain is bought as indestructible, however it can be broken as per a normal Device, but it will regenerate.

Languages
English

Defense
Dodge 10, Parry 10, Fortitude 12, Toughness 10, Will 8

Power Points
Abilities 66 + Powers 33 + Advantages 9 + Skills 25 (50 ranks) + Defenses 17= 150

Background: Keith Terry grew up in the shadow of the Mob on Chicago's southside. A big guy, he was recruited early on for his strength and eagerness to please the made guys. Pug, as he came to be known, was happy in his role. He did favors for the locals and did as he was told by the bosses. He was liked by everyone.

In the alien invasion of 1999, Keith helped out like everyone else. When an alien fighter was brought down by Blackbird, Keith was first on the scene. The injured pilot produced a strange silvery weapon, but was in no shape to properly wield it. Keith took it away from him, and as soon as he touched it, it liquefied and seeped into his body through the pores of his skin.

Keith dropped to the ground in agony! The alien metal was "fixing" his body, augmenting his strength and reinforcing his bones and musculature. After an intense few minutes, most of the pain was over, and Keith was a very different man. Soon the alien metal wept out of his body, and pooled on the ground next to him. Keith didn't know this, but it was awaiting his command. He remembered that the pilot had produced a weapon. And now that he thought about it had resembled a sword of some kind. How was he supposed to turn the pool of metal back into a sword? He didn't know a thing about swords; it was of little use to him.

Keith stood up and felt woozy. He also felt leaden, like he weighed far more than he had previously. But he also felt strong! He began to walk away from the pool of metal, but it followed him! He tried to scoop it up and it began to oscillate and change shape as he thought about different things. He soon realized it would pretty much become whatever he wanted it to. He didn't want a sword. But a chain, now that would be old school. He pictured a chain in his mind and the metal took the shape. He practiced swinging it and thought about hitting the crashed spaceship with it and it lengthened to do just that!

Over the years since that time, Keith left his employ in the mob (there was little they could do to stop him), and with his celebrity fighting for his neighborhood in the invasion, he earned the respect of the local citizens.

Keith is a reluctant hero. Something big would have to be going to down for him to want to become involved. Of course, if something threatened his neighborhood, or people he knew personally, he'd be eager to help. He knows everyone, and everyone knows him.
badpenny
Overlord
Overlord

Cheshire Cat

Postby badpenny » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:55 am

Art by Taghuso

Quote: "I prefer the short cut!"
Concept: Teleporting Martial Arts Master
Place of Birth: Everglades City, Florida
Marital Status: single
Living Relatives: Alice Dodgson (mother)
Height: 5 ft. 9 in.
Weight: 145 lbs.
Hair: Auburn

Cheshire Cat - PL 10

Strength 5, Stamina 7, Agility 4, Dexterity 1, Fighting 9, Intellect 1, Awareness 5, Presence 1

Advantages
All-out Attack, Evasion 2, Improved Critical: Unarmed, Improved Defense, Improved Initiative 2, Luck, Power Attack, Redirect, Skill Mastery: Investigation, Uncanny Dodge, Well-informed

Skills
Close Combat: Unarmed 6 (+15), Deception 8 (+9), Expertise: Streetwise 7 (+8), Insight 5 (+10), Intimidation 8 (+9), Investigation 9 (+10), Perception 5 (+10)

Powers
Blink Teleport: Enhanced Trait 7 (Dodge +4 (+13); Advantages: Evasion 2, Improved Defense) · 7 points

Teleport 4 (500 feet in a move action, carrying 200 lbs.; Extras: Accurate, Change Velocity, Easy, Extended: 16 miles in 2 move actions, Increased Mass 2, Precise, Subtle (DC 20), Turnabout) · 26 points
. . Projected Consciousness: Remote Sensing 5 (Alternate; Affects: Visual & Auditory, Range: 900 feet; Extras: Dimensional: Astral, No Conduit, Subtle (DC 25); Feature 2: Darkvision) · 1 point
. . Teleport Flurry: Strength Effect 5 (Alternate; Extras: Burst Area 2: 60 feet radius sphere, Extended Range, Increased Range: ranged, Indirect 4 (any point, any direction), Selective, Subtle (DC 20)) · 1 point

Teleport Trickery: Feature 2 (Advantage: Redirect; Notes: Cheshire Cat can use her attack bonus to trick and feint instead of Deception. She can Feint or Trick as a Move action) · 3 points

Ultimate Defense: Luck Control 1 (Force a Re-roll; Flaws: Limited: Attack rolls only, Limited: Only attacks against her) · 1 point

Offense
Initiative +12
Grab, +9 (DC Spec 15)
Teleport Flurry (Burst Area DC 20)
Unarmed, +15 (DC 20, Crit 19-20)

Complications
Hatred: Even though she's ended her war on the Mafia, she still has an intense dislike for those guys and will go out of her way to take them down a peg, if not foiling what they're up to.

Identity: Cheshire Cat is Quinn Dodgson

Motivation: Responsibility: Quinn is determined to use her powers for good, to protect the weak (especially those who would prey on women)

Relationship: Quinn is in a long-term relationship with April de la Rosa (potential prejudice for homosexuality)

Languages
English

Defense
Dodge 13/9, Parry 13, Fortitude 8, Toughness 7, Will 7

Power Points
Abilities 66 + Powers 39 + Advantages 9 + Skills 24 (48 ranks) + Defenses 12 = 150

Background: Quinn Dodgson was the daughter of an undercover FBI agent. He was placed deep inside the Mafia and operated there for many years. Quinn grew up in this environment and learned a lot from her dad. It also happened that Quinn was born with the ability to teleport. She thought nothing of this and it was until she was twelve that she understood that not everyone could do this.

Quinn, over the years, began to learn other things about her body. That she was stronger than most of the boys. That she was quicker than just about anyone else. And that she knew, some how--instinctively--how to fight. She had a knack for it. When she stood up to bullies, she mopped the floor with them. She took to doing this often. She enjoyed it. The look on their faces....

When Quinn was in college, she learned that her father had been killed. Quinn dropped out of college and using what she'd learned under her father's tutelage Quinn began a year-long investigation into her father's death. It took her deep inside the Mafia where she used her abilities to discover just who killed her father. Along the way she uncovered more than she wanted to however. Her father had spent so long undercover that he'd become corrupt and it was a deal gone wrong that had gotten her father killed. Simultaneously the FBI had begun an investigation into this mysterious person disrupting mafia operations. When Quinn's and the FBI's trails intersected she was recruited, but she declined. The discovery of the truth behind her father's death had left a bad taste in her mouth and she wanted no part of the world of the FBI.

But trying to leave the excitement behind her proved much harder. She was her father's daughter and she'd grown to love it. She would resist the corruption though. Quinn would adopt a costumed identity and fight the disease of crime and corruption on her own terms. As Cheshire Cat!

Cheshire Cat's base of operations has become Chicago. Two things have kept her there. One, her arch-enemy, Robin Holland (a pheromones-based mind controller who fancies himself king of the city), and Two, the love of her life, April de le Rosa. Cheshire Cat saved April's life and from there the two of them began a relationship. The man who had targeted April was Robin. It's become quite personal between Cheshire Cat and Robin. He's determined to purge Cheshire Cat of anything but the desire to serve him and then have her kill April. And April is no pushover, either. She's a dedicated Assistant State's Attorney who drew Robin's attention when prosecuting one of his lieutenants.
badpenny
Overlord
Overlord

Re: Raptor

Postby death tribble » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:29 am

badpenny wrote:Image
Art by Storn

Quote: "Come on...try me! I'm gonna take you down!"
Power Level: 8
Concept: Flying vigilante (and former criminal)
Legal Status: Citizen of the United States with a criminal record
Place of Birth: Hub City
Height: 6 ft. 2 in.
Weight: 195 lbs.

Raptor - PL 8

Strength 5, Stamina 5, Agility 7, Dexterity 1, Fighting 5, Intellect 1, Awareness 1, Presence 2

Advantages
All-out Attack, Defensive Roll 2, Diehard, Improved Critical: Muay Thai, Power Attack, Takedown

Skills
Acrobatics 4 (+11), Close Combat: Muay Thai 4 (+9), Deception 6 (+8), Expertise: Streetwise 9 (+10), Insight 4 (+5), Intimidation 7 (+9), Investigation 6 (+7), Perception 6 (+7), Stealth (+7)

Powers
Flight Suit (Removable, -5 points)
. . Adaptive Camouflage: Concealment 4 (All Visual Senses; Flaw: Passive) · 4 points
. . Flight 7 (gravity; Dynamic; Speed: 250 miles/hour, 0.5 miles/round; Extra: Subtle (Hearing, DC 20)) · 16 points
. . . . Gravitic Pulse: Line Area Move Object 7 (Dynamic Alternate; 3 tons; Extras: Line Area: 5 feet wide by 30 feet long, Damaging, Subtle (Visual, DC 20); Flaws: Limited Direction: Away, Reduced Range: close) · 2 points
. . Senses 3 (Vision 3 (Extended, Infravision, Low-light Vision)) · 3 points

Martial Artist: Strength-based Damage 2 (Muay Thai; Advantage: Improved Critical) · 3 points

Offense
Initiative +7
Grab, +5 (DC Spec 15)
Gravitic Pulse: Line Area Move Object 7 (DC 22)
Martial Artist: Strength-based Damage 2, +9 (DC 22, Crit 19-20)

Complications
Enemy: the actual owners of the suit
Identity: Tanner Vaughn
Motivation: Justice: Feigned
Secret: former criminal past

Languages
English

Defense
Dodge 9, Parry 9, Fortitude 7, Toughness 7/5, Will 7

Power Points
Abilities 54 + Powers 23 + Advantages 6 + Skills 23 (46 ranks) + Defenses 14 = 120

Background: Tanner Vaughn was an up and coming thug. He demonstrated clear thinking and that he could follow orders. A major deal was about to go down and Tanner wanted in. He was recommended for the job and for his part in it, he scored and scored big time. He had more money than he knew what to do with. Well, that wasn't entirely true: he blew a lot of it on booze and broads. But that got old. He wanted more. He hadn't made a fool of himself with his new found wealth and that held him in good stead. Because people were watching. Important people. Powerful people.

He was being recruited by Dabney Donovan, the former head of the Cadmus Project. Donovan, who'd invented the DNAlien process was now in need of funding and had been contracted to create human-looking supers. The subjects would be mind-wiped and be loyal agents of Donovan's benefactor. For Tanner, the invitation was irresistible (not knowing about the mind-wiping part). What he didn't know was that by the time the offer was made, you either accepted or you disappeared. Once again, he chose wisely.

In the middle of the process, the warehouse was raided by Checkmate. Tanner went unnoticed for hours in a stabilization chamber as everyone was arrested and taken away. During one perfectly timed lull in all the action, Tanner was able to sneak away. He hid for an hour in a large closet where he came across the flight suit he wears today. He had no idea how he would get out of the building--the place was swarming with agents and supers.

He donned the suit and while he was surprised how well it fit, he didn't spend a lot of time mulling it over. He made his exit with a hand wave to a Checkmate agent who smiled and waved back. With his new found coordination, he mastered the suit's operations. Now what to do? He kind of had a new identity. He couldn't get the scene of the Checkmate agent waving him by out of his head. Man, that was nice. He could be a member of the In Crowd. The heroes. He could lay a beat down on the "bad guys" and reinvent himself. What would that world look like? His features had changed along with his body. What else had changed?

Tanner intervened in the first crime he came across flying over the city. It was a simple mugging and he easily bested the criminal. To test his new found status, he stayed until the cops took the mugger away and even passed the time with the cops chatting it up like he had been around. Of course, they didn't know who he was, but they had to play it off like they weren't out of the loop ("So many heroes these days...can't keep 'em straight. Yeah, he seemed like a nice guy. Yeah.").

But what to do for money? Was he going to try to hold down some dumb job and try to juggle two lives? That seemed ridiculous. He knew that some heroes did it. But that wasn't for him. No, there was plenty of money to be made in bounties, skip tracing and flat-out rewards.

And Raptor was going to be one well-hatched plan.

Submitted for Horsenhero's Hub City Blues game

That is twice that my commission has been used. His name is the campaign was Nightraven and this was from 1986 upwards. So the design is 20 years old. He was someone well off who joined the team so no criminal background although his brother was a crook. He could be a pain in the back side as he was a bit of a pompous guy
Dangerous when cute
death tribble
Disciple
Disciple

Re: [3E] Penny's Build Party (Cheshire Cat)

Postby Horsenhero » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:32 am

Everybody loves a winged (ish) guy.
Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Silverbird

Postby badpenny » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:35 pm

Art by Storn

Quote: "I have to help--I have to!"
Concept: Energy Controller
Place of Birth: Port Townsend, WA
Living Relatives: William "Bill" Brewster, Esq.
Height: 5'7"
Weight: 125 lbs.

Silverbird - PL 10

Strength 0, Stamina 2, Agility 2, Dexterity 1, Fighting 0, Intellect 2, Awareness 3, Presence 1

Advantages
Attractive, Benefit (Status): Important Family, Fast Grab, Improved Initiative, Languages 1, Ranged Attack 7

Skills
Deception 5 (+6/+8), Expertise: Current Events 1 (+3), Expertise: Law 6 (+8), Expertise: Popular Culture 1 (+3), Insight 4 (+7), Investigation 4 (+6), Perception 5 (+8), Persuasion 8 (+9/+11), Ranged Combat: Nanite Control 2 (+3)

Powers
Flight 9 (Speed: 1000 miles/hour, 2 miles/round) · 18 points

Nanite Control Array
. . Silver Hands: Move Object 10 (25 tons; Advantage: Fast Grab; Extra: Damaging) · 1 point
. . Silver Shapes: Create 10 (Volume: 1000 cft.; Extras: Movable, Stationary) · 1 point
. . Silver Strands: Ranged Cumulative Affliction 10 (1st degree: Hindered and Vulnerable, 2nd degree: Immobile and Defenseless; Resisted by Dodge, Overcome by Damage; Extras: Cumulative, Extra Condition, Homing: 1 extra attempt, Increased Range: ranged, Reversible; Flaw: Limited Degree) · 32 points
. . Toxic Nano: Ranged Cumulative Affliction 10 (1st degree: Impaired, 2nd degree: Disabled, 3rd degree: Incapacitated; Resisted by Dodge, Overcome by Fortitude; Extras: Cumulative, Increased Range: ranged, Homing, Reversible) · 1 point

Nanite Synergy: Immunity 1 (Rare Descriptor: Own Powers) · 1 point
Quicksilver: Feature 1 (Transform into her costume as a free action) · 1 point
Silver Mist: Insubstantial 2 (particulate; Activation: move action) · 9 points
Silver Sheathe: Protection 10 (Sustained) · 10 points

Offense
Initiative +6
Silver Hands: Move Object 10, +10 (DC 25)
Silver Strands: Cumulative Affliction 10, +10 (DC Dodge 20)
Throw, +8 (DC 15)
Toxic Nano: Cumulative Affliction 10, +10 (DC Fort 20)

Complications
Identity: Emmy Brewster

Motivation: Justice: Emmy was concerned about justice long before she was exposed to the nanites

Relationship: Big things are expected of Emmy by her father. The Brewster name is big in the city and Emmy is expected to follow in the family business, namely the law.

Responsibility: Emmy is a law student

Languages
English, Spanish

Defense
Dodge 8, Parry 8, Fortitude 8, Toughness 12, Will 8

Power Points
Abilities 22 + Powers 74 + Advantages 10 + Skills 18 (36 ranks) + Defenses 24 = 150

Background: Emmy Brewster is the daughter of famed attorney Bill Brewster. Emmy's dad has fought some significant legal cases that garnered a great deal of media attention. He's argued before the Supreme Court, and Emmy knew from the time she was eight that she was going to follow in her father's footsteps.

Emmy gained her powers in an explosion in the middle of the day in downtown Seattle where she was waiting to have lunch with her father. The explosion--soon dubbed a terrorist act--killed scores of people and also mysteriously gave rise to at least three super-powered individuals--one of them being Emmy.

Now Emmy finds herself torn between two worlds: one of the law student (and eventually a trial lawyer) and that of the superhero--someone who brings direct action to the streets of her city.
Last edited by badpenny on Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
badpenny
Overlord
Overlord

Re: Silverbird

Postby death tribble » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:37 am

badpenny wrote:Image
Art by Storn

Quote: "I have to help--I have to!"
Concept: Energy Controller
Place of Birth: Port Townsend, WA
Living Relatives: William "Bill" Brewster, Esq.
Height: 5'7"
Weight: 125 lbs.

Silverbird - PL 10

Strength 0, Stamina 2, Agility 2, Dexterity 1, Fighting 1, Intellect 2, Awareness 3, Presence 1

Advantages
Accurate Attack, All-out Attack, Attractive, Improved Initiative, Improved Smash, Power Attack

Skills
Deception 5 (+6/+8), Expertise: Law 6 (+8), Insight 4 (+7), Investigation 4 (+6), Perception 4 (+7), Persuasion 8 (+9/+11), Ranged Combat: Silver Energy Array 7 (+8)

Powers
Flight 9 (Speed: 1000 miles/hour, 2 miles/round) · 18 points
Immunity 1 (Rare Descriptor: Own Powers) · 1 point
Quicksilver: Feature 1 (Notes: transform into costume as a free action) · 1 point
Silver Aura: Protection 10 (Extra: Sustained) · 10 points
Silver Energy Array (Extra: Reversible) · 1 point
. . Blast: Ranged Damage 12 (Extras: Affects Insubstantial 2: full rank, Increased Range: ranged, Split: 2 targets) · 1 point
. . Tethers: Ranged Cumulative Affliction 10 (1st degree: Hindered, Vulnerable, 2nd degree: Immobile, Defenseless; Resisted by Dodge, Overcome by Will; Extras: Accurate: +2, Cumulative, Extra Condition, Increased Range: ranged; Flaw: Limited Degree) · 31 points
. . Wither: Ranged Affects Objects Weaken 10 (Affects: Toughness; Resisted by Fortitude; Extras: Accurate: +2, Affects Objects, Increased Range: ranged) · 1 point
Silver Mist: Insubstantial 2 (Gaseous; Flaw: Activation: move action) · 9 points

Offense
Initiative +6
Blast: Ranged Damage 12, +8 (DC 27)
Tethers: Ranged Cumulative Affliction 10, +10 (DC Will 20)
Wither: Ranged Affects Objects Weaken 10, +10 (DC Fort 20)

Complications
Identity: Emmy Brewster
Motivation: Justice: Emmy was concerned about justice long before she was exposed to the silver energy
Responsibility: Emmy is a law student

Languages
English

Defense
Dodge 8, Parry 8, Fortitude 10, Toughness 12, Will 10

Power Points
Abilities 24 + Powers 73 + Advantages 6 + Skills 19 (38 ranks) + Defenses 28 = 150

Background: Emmy Brewster is the daughter of famed attorney Bill Brewster. Emmy's dad has fought some significant legal cases that garnered a great deal of media attention. He's argued before the Supreme Court, and Emmy knew from the time she was eight that she was going to follow in her father's footsteps.

Emmy gained her powers in an explosion in the middle of the day in downtown Seattle where she was waiting to have lunch with her father. The explosion--soon dubbed a terrorist act--killed scores of people and also mysteriously gave rise to at least three super-powered individuals--one of them being Emmy.

Now Emmy finds herself torn between two worlds: one of the law student (and eventually a trial lawyer) and that of the superhero--someone who brings direct action to the streets of her city.

Nice to see another of your interpretations of one of my Storn commissions.
The name is close enough but the nationality is not.
She is Chinese and works for the Government.
Flight is her many power and the longer her hair is the higher and faster she can go. The length in the picture is optimum. If bald well she can't fly simple as that.
Dangerous when cute
death tribble
Disciple
Disciple

PreviousNext

Return to Roll Call