Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

Batgirl III's 3E Thread (Doc Ock, Vulture, Electro)

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.

Re: Batgirl III's Character Thread (Sailor Venus)

Postby Batgirl III » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:57 am

Earth-Two_Kenn wrote:If that means you've located Gotham where I think you've located Gotham, may I ask where, in the DC Universe in your head, do you envision Metropolis?

Gotham City is located in south-east New Jersey, somehwere north of Cape May (Semper Paratus!) but south of Atlantic City. Probably where Sea Isle City is in real life, but since Gotham is an island (okay, three) no real towns need to get squished to make it fit. Blüdhaven is somewhere just to the immediate south, but on the mainland. Metropolis is in Delaware, approximately in the middle of the Prime Hook National Wildlife Refuge... although the geography gets a bit more muddy there. But, like, five people live in Delaware, so who'll notice?

You see, when I was a wee little Batgirl, I picked up a copy of the outstanding Mayfair Games as a supplement,The Atas of the DC Universe (1990). I'm not a fan of the DC Heroes RPG it is, technically, a supplement too... but the Atlas is just so dang useful. Now, DC Heroes was fully licensed and approved by DC, but many comic fans don't consider it canon... but, considering that Gotham City is shown to have moutainous cliffs overlooking it in one issue or be surrounded by old growth forest in the next arc, "canon" and "geography" don't always mesh. The author of the book is Paul Kupperberg, who was kind of a big deal at DC then. Being equal parts gamer and comic nerd, I like my world building locked down. As far as my campaigns are concerned, The Atas of the DC Universe is gospel.

For those of you who can't track down this out-of-print book, this website here has a pretty good adaptation of it.

I also have the excellent Daily Planet Guides for Metropolis and Gotham City by West End Games (2000). Again, not a fan or the DC Universe RPG they were supplements for (although, excepting the special dice, I do own the whole product line. Thanks be unto the bargin bin!) I find these sourcebooks to be extremely useful.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Batgirl III
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Thorpacolypse » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:20 am

That's kind of where I always pictured Gotham. And I used to picture them close but I like Metropolis being closer to Smallville like it is in the Smallville series. And it's not just because it puts it close to Missouri (the location of the J-Mart motherland even though we've relocated to lovely central Illinois for the time being :)) , but because it puts Clark in the center of the country so he can get to both coasts in about the same amount of time.

I really need to map out things like that. Shame I'm too lazy. :)
Shop J-Mart!

Service with a smilie! :)
Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Location: Bloomington, IL (Summer home in the dark recesses of the human psyche...)

Postby Batgirl III » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:46 am

Funny, I've never really pictured Superman as worrying about his commute. :wink:

According to Google the distance between Augusta, ME to Los Angeles, CA it is (approx) 3,200 miles. Clark's full move in flight is 240 miles per combat round... that's thirteen combat rounds, or 1 minute 18 seconds. So Lois could have fresh-caught Maine lobster and California citrus, every night, in less time than it take me to make a packet of mac'n'cheese.

Also, if the circumference of the Earth is 24,901 miles, and rounding a wee bit... that's ten minutes to circle the globe. Clark can get Chinese take-out from Beijing in less time than it takes me to get delivery from the place down the road.
Batgirl III
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Kreuzritter » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:03 am

Batgirl III wrote:I also have the excellent Daily Planet Guides for Metropolis and Gotham City by West End Games (2000). Again, not a fan or the DC Universe RPG they were supplements for (although, excepting the special dice, I do own the whole product line. Thanks be unto the bargin bin!) I find these sourcebooks to be extremely useful.

I'll vouch for that (although I only have the gotham book). heck, i'm contemplating running a crinoverse game using gotham as my city map
Kreuz Control Promotions: over 2800 builds served, and counting...
Crinoverse: Contributions
Kreuzritter
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Batgirl III » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:09 am

Kurt Busiek's Astro City, in addition to being one of the best comics ever, has also given us some great maps of, well, Astro City. I've used it for years, with the serial numbers filed off, for non-superhero games. Astro City Rocket has a nice "visitor's guide," that gives a decent overview of the place, but you can find a ton of info elsewhere on the web.

Batgirl III
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Thorpacolypse » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:54 am

Batgirl III wrote:Funny, I've never really pictured Superman as worrying about his commute. :wink:

According to Google the distance between Augusta, ME to Los Angeles, CA it is (approx) 3,200 miles. Clark's full move in flight is 240 miles per combat round... that's thirteen combat rounds, or 1 minute 18 seconds. So Lois could have fresh-caught Maine lobster and California citrus, every night, in less time than it take me to make a packet of mac'n'cheese.

Also, if the circumference of the Earth is 24,901 miles, and rounding a wee bit... that's ten minutes to circle the globe. Clark can get Chinese take-out from Beijing in less time than it takes me to get delivery from the place down the road.

You say that now, but consider a combined universe with him, Supergirl, The Marvel Family, The Samaritan, Sentry, Iron Man, Maximum Man, The High, The FF, The Invisible Jet, SHIELD Helicarriers, Invincible, Omni-Man, X-Men Blackbirds, Martian Jumpships, Thor, Captain Thunder, The Batplane, The Green Lantern Corps, Hawkman, Angel, Man-Bat, The League of Assassins Man-Bats, Superboy, possibly Superboy Prime, and countless other flying supervillains, superheroes, mutants and aliens one thing is certain:

TONS of air traffic! That has got to f up his commute times! :)

Also, to squeeze in Freedom City, Gotham, Metropolis, Astro City, Keystone City, fictional nations like Khandaq, Wakanda, etc. I'm thinking of making the Thorpacoverse Earth a bit bigger, maybe more like 30,000 miles around, or maybe 32,000 to make it fit game speed better :wink: so it might make a wee bit of a difference in certain situations.

But what it really comes down to is that I have East Coast jealousy and tired of them getting all the good stuff just because Kirby, Lee, Kane and other comic pioneers were New York guys. The Midwest and West Coast get NO love from comic writers as a whole and that needs to change. See the West Coast Avengers and Great Lakes Avengers to see proof of my point.

Those of us in flyover country deserve Superman, dammit!!! 8)
Shop J-Mart!

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Location: Bloomington, IL (Summer home in the dark recesses of the human psyche...)

Postby Batgirl III » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:10 am

Oh, shush... you guys in the great plains got Asgard. Here in Detroit, we got Vibe and Gypsy.

Gypsy.
Batgirl III
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Thorpacolypse » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:17 am

Batgirl III wrote:Oh, shush... you guys in the great plains got Asgard. Here in Detroit, we got Vibe and Gypsy.

Gypsy.

OK...you got me there... :shock: But you gotta admit, Vibe is kinda cool. Oh wait...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=H3b6DmRODPE&feature=endscreen

OK, you REALLY got me there. I'll move Gotham AND Metropolis to Michigan to make up for it. :)
Shop J-Mart!

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Earth-Two_Kenn » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:00 am

Batgirl III wrote:
Earth-Two_Kenn wrote:If that means you've located Gotham where I think you've located Gotham, may I ask where, in the DC Universe in your head, do you envision Metropolis?

Gotham City is located in south-east New Jersey, somehwere north of Cape May (Semper Paratus!) but south of Atlantic City. Probably where Sea Isle City is in real life, but since Gotham is an island (okay, three) no real towns need to get squished to make it fit. Blüdhaven is somewhere just to the immediate south, but on the mainland. Metropolis is in Delaware, approximately in the middle of the Prime Hook National Wildlife Refuge... although the geography gets a bit more muddy there. But, like, five people live in Delaware, so who'll notice?

You see, when I was a wee little Batgirl, I picked up a copy of the outstanding Mayfair Games as a supplement,The Atas of the DC Universe (1990). I'm not a fan of the DC Heroes RPG it is, technically, a supplement too... but the Atlas is just so dang useful. Now, DC Heroes was fully licensed and approved by DC, but many comic fans don't consider it canon...
... Being equal parts gamer and comic nerd, I like my world building locked down. As far as my campaigns are concerned, The Atas of the DC Universe is gospel.

For those of you who can't track down this out-of-print book, this website here has a pretty good adaptation of it.

:D Thoust be a Batgirl after mine own heart. I can track down a copy on my Gaming Books bookshelf.

I became annoyed about five years ago when DC started telling us Metropolis was somewhere in New York state.

I've never seen it, but I have it on good authority that the Gotham, NJ / Metropolis, DE locations were first seen in an "Amazing World of DC Comics" in the mid-'70s. I was still picking up comics off the rotating racks at the drug store on my way home from grade school then.
Over eleven hundred DCA/M&M Character builds at http://www.rcuhero.net
Earth-Two_Kenn
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Batgirl III » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:12 pm

SCIENTIA REX
M&M3e Build Playtest -- Namor vs. Doctor Marvel

June figured she had better make up her mind as quickly as possible, between two bad options, she had a few million people counting on her to take the least worst path. She could intercept the Atlantean, try to talk him down, piss him off more, and get her neck broken... or she could skip the diplomacy, hope to land a sucker punch, and then get her neck broken. She knew what Captain Marvel would do... she also knew that the Big Red Cheese could handle Namor if (and when) diplomacy failed.

So then... sucker punch.

Oracle's intel was limited, S.E.C.Net sonar stopped tracking Namor the moment he went airborne, satelite feeds were on a time delay of several seconds, and Namor was staying below commercial and even military radar. Oracle had given June the numbers, but Doctor Marvel let her handcrafted "Wisdom of Solomon" help her double check the math.

"An enraged Atlantean leaves the Atlantic Ocean, travelling at a speed of 200 knots, at an altitude of 800 meters." June said to herself, "Now, who can tell the class how long it will take the school board to find a substitute for your soon to be splattered teacher? Anyone? Anyone?"

PREGAME
Doctor Marvel is my original character and presonal PC, here character build is the very first in this thread. At PL10/150PP she's the clear underdog, not to mention she has no real aquatic abilities.

Namor, the Avenging Son, is the oldest character in Marvel Comics line-up and my build of him is found on page twevele of this very thread. At PL12/212 PP and with the fight taking place over the water, the edge is his.

Doctor Marvel's goal is to keep Namor from reaching Delaware Bay (and thus Metropolis or Gotham City) for two minutes (twenty combat rounds) at which point the JSA will arrive and bail her out. The fight opens with Marvel intercepting Namor at a point roughly 17 miles from the mouth of bay over the Atlantic.

ROUND ONE
Initiative: Marvel (44) Namor (18)
Conditions: Marvel (--) Namor (--)

"Great. I'm quipping now," she thought as she closed in on the Atlantean from above, "I'm about to become shark-bait and I'm quipping. To myself. Okay, Issac Newton don't fail me now..."

Doctor Marvel braced herself for the impact; colliding with Namor at speeds in excess of Mach 84. She was coming out of the sun and, apparently, the Atlantean was unprepared, he tumbled through the air uncontrolled for a moment before regaining control. He looked dazed... breifly. He then lunges through the air, roaring in defiance:

"IMPERIOUS REX!"

They both loose altitude, spiralling dramatically as the Avenging Son tries to drag her beneath the waves. Before they can fall too far, Marvel slips from his grasp and resumes flight...

Round One opens with Marvel using Speed of Mercury and Stamina of Atlas from her Rings. She elects to make a Slam Attack. She's takes a full Move at Flight 15 for a total of +6 to hit with damage effect 16.

Fate smiles on the Doctor, she opens the festivities with a 20! She opts to apply the Increased Effect Bonus, for a damage effect of 21; Namor must now make a Toughness check against DC 36, he rolls a 6 for a 20 total. Three degress of failure, so Namor is Staggered.

Marvel needs to check for her own damage, a Toughness check against DC 25; she rolls a 12 for a 27 total.

Namor is now at close range and attempts to Grab Marvel. As he is Dazed he is limited to a single Standard Action (otherwise he'd make a standard attack and follow up with a Fast Grab). It's beginning to look like a bad day for the Atlantean, he only rolls a 2(!) but that works out to be a 16, which is more than enough to beat Marvel's 11 Parry. Her resistance check of 23 overcomes his Strength and she eludes his grasp.

ROUND TWO
Initiative: Marvel (54) Namor (20)
Conditions: Marvel (--) Namor (Staggered; -1 Checks)

Doctor Marvel can tell that Namor got his bell rung from her slam, so she quickly manuvers to put some distance between them... and to settle this fight at a distance where she'll have some advantage. She keeps Speed of Mercury active, but switches to the Power of Zeus with her other ring. She flies 800' above Namor, spins to fix him in her gave and shouts her own battlecry: "SHAZAM!"

"You would strike at me with the storm?" Namor shouted in defiance, as he very nearly danced around the lightning bolt, "The God of Thunder himself has never bested me! You shall not stay the hand with such puny mimicry -- have at thee!"

Round Two opens with Marvel using Speed of Mercury and using a free action to swap to Power of Zeus from her Rings. Her Flight 14 easily lets her reach maximum range with a Move Action; she brings the thunder with her Standard Action. Namor needs to Dodge against DC18, he gets a 26 total.

Namor uses his move action to close distance, with his Flight 6 easily closing gap between the two.

ROUND THREE
Initiative: Marvel (45) Namor (9)

"Good lord, he can't match my raw speed," Marvel thought, again putting several hundred feet between them, "But at this distance he doesn't have too... and if I back off too far, he wins anyway. He dodged once, can he keep it up?"

Another tremendous bolt of lighting raced from the heavens, Namor laughed, rolling to the side at the last possible second... with a laugh, he hurled his trident. Doctor Marvel swiftly rolled to the right, but it had been hurled with amazing strentgh and she was thankful she'd managed.

Round Three has Marvel continuing with Mercury and Zeus. She throws another lightning bolt -- Namor beats the DC18 Dodge with an 18 on the nose.

Namor has a medium range of 800' on his Trident, and Marvel had put herself at the long range of her lightning, which is 800'. His to Hit of 13 misses Marvel's 15 Dodge.

ROUND FOUR
Initiative: Marvel (45) Namor (16)
"Third times the charm, right?" Marvel asked as she again readied her ring's energy: "SHAZAM!"

Either Namor's speed fails him or perhaps June was right and the third bolt really was blessed by some fickle God, because it catches Namor square in his well-muscled chest. He grits his teeth, but within a blink of an eye the energy of the storm is spent and he is still flying.

"Grarr..." he rushes towards Marvel, "Your tricks mean nothing to me! Nothing! Stand aside or stand still and face me!"

Round Four has Marvel continuing with Mercury and Zeus. Another bolt of lighting, this time Namor only manages a 12 and is struck.

Namor needs to make a Toughness Check, with a -1 penalty against DC 23; he rolls an for a 21 total... for one degree of failure.

Namor uses a move action to get into close range.

ROUND FIVE
Initiative: Marvel (45) Namor (16)
Conditions: Marvel (--) Namor (Staggered; -2 Checks)

"Okay... time to get stupid." June said, as Namor rushed into punching distance. They were roughly 3000 feet in the air, even without the Wisdom of Solomon she knew her basic maths -- she's have a couple of seconds of free fall to save her ass if this didn't work -- she hoped. With a sudden force of will to over come all doubts, she switched the powers of both Rings at once. Strength and martial prowess swept through her, but she was dropping like a stone... straight into the face of the oncoming Atlantean!

Namor clearly didn't expect this to happen, the falling Doctor Marvel lands an mighty upper-cut on him while she falls straight down! He reels from the blow but recovers in time to smack her before she drops too far...

At the top of Round Five Marvel uses a Hero Point to pay for the Extra Effort to use two Free Actions, swapping both her Ring Arrays for Courage of Achilles and Strength of Hercules.

Namor had already put them at Close Range, so Marvel makes an unarmed attack; going All-Out Attack she rolls a 19 for a mighty 34 to hit. Smacking Namor square, he needs to make a Toughness Check, with a -2 penalty against DC25. He rolls a mere 3, for a 15 total!

Namor attacks back, his 22 total to hit easily beating the now nearly defenseless Marvel; Marvel fails her Toughness check against Namor's attack by 13, and will be dazed until the end of her next turn.

ROUND SIX
Initiative: Marvel (18) Namor (17)
Conditions: Marvel (Dazed; -1 to Checks) Namor (Staggered; -3 Checks)

The wind rushing past her ears is lost to the ringing in her head from Namor's blow. But the calming influence of the Courage of Achilles lets her keep her wits, as she reactivates the Speed of Mercury... Namor had got her good, but she was giving as good as she got and he was beginning to, maybe, hopefully, look the worse for wear. Sort of...

Namor took a moment to marvel at this woman, as she regainned the power of flight and swooped gracefully through the air. No matter, he was on a mission and she meant to stop him. Therefore she had to be eliminated.

Marvel swaps the Strength of Hercules for the Speed of Mercury, being dazed this is all she can do.

Namor, still Staggered, uses his Move Action to chase after the falling Doctor Marvel, keeping the two at Close Range.

ROUND SEVEN
Initiative: Marvel (48) Namor (19)
Conditions: Marvel (-1 to Checks) Namor (Staggered; -3 Checks)

Marvel regains her wits, steadies her flight path and calls up the protective aura of Atlas. As Namor closes, she tucks and rolls, with a diving high-kick to his midsection... he shifts a bit at the last moment, her foot catches him in the ribs rather than the kiddney, but she can feel something crack under her heel.

Namor responds with uncanny speed, grabbing her leg firmly and pulling her close: rendering her immobile and leaving her vulnerable...

Marvel swaps out Courage of Achilles for Stamina of Atlas. She then proceeds to attack.

Marvel makes an Power Attack, and with another display of amazing luck rolls another natural 20! Again she opts for Increased Effect, so the final damage total is DC 25. Namor rolls a 14, for a final total of 24... the damage is beginning to pile up.

Namor attempts a Grab and catches Marvel easily with a 24, she fails to break free and is Restrained.

ROUND EIGHT
Initiative: Marvel (38) Namor (12)
Conditions: Marvel (Restrained; -1 to Checks) Namor (Staggered; -4 Checks)

"He smells like Old Spice and bath salts." Marvel thought in a flash, "Why do the weirdest things always pop into my brain in these situations."

Marvel's ring hummed and she felt the Strength of Hercules fill her body, she strainned against the Atlantean with the might of Olympus: "Let. ME. GO!"

Namor grunts in shock and pain, the woman suddenly was as strong as an Orca and tore herself from his grasp... and then dropped like a stone.

"First she runs away to the clouds, then she falls toward the sea. Then the clouds, then the sea." Namor wondered at this odd woman, "I cannot decide if this woman is the bravest of all the dirt-bound surface folk... or the most foolish."

Marvel retains the Stamina of Atlas, but swaps Mercury for Hercules... she then uses her Move action to make an Escape attempt. She succeeds!

Namor is growing impaitent, but follows after her... bringing them back into close range.

ROUND NINE
Initiative: Marvel (23) Namor (18)
Conditions: Marvel (-1 to Checks) Namor (Staggered; -4 Checks)

"I am getting tired off thiiiiiis---!" Marvel shouted as she dropped several hundred feet before the power of Mercury swept over her and she pulled out of freefall and swooped upwards, quickly pouring on as much acceleration as she could... she looped up and over the Atlantean, and came thundering into him at several times the speed of sound.

The impact force could have shattered steel, but all it seemed to do was knock the wind out of Namor. Briefly. He clenched both fists together above his head and brought them down like a jackhammer on Marvel's back... her vision went black for a split second, pain rushing through her body like lightning.

Marvel now has the Stamina of Atlas and Speed of Mercury using her free action to switch; she uses a full move action for another Slam.

With her Flight 15 that's a total of +6 to hit with damage effect 16; she rolls an 16, for a 22 total beating Namor's Dodge; Namor needs to make a Toughness chek at a -4 penalty against DC 31... The Avenging Son only rolls a 5, for a total of 19. He spends his Hero Point for a re-roll, this time getting a 13 for a 24 total. He still fails, but the penalty is far less dreadful.

Namor uses Power Attack, rolling a total of 17 to hit. Marvel must make a Toughness Check against DC34, she manages only a 24... and is again Dazed.

ROUND TEN
Initiative: Marvel (50) Namor (18)
Conditions: Marvel (Dazed, -2 to Checks) Namor (Staggered; -5 Checks)

Head ringing and stars dazing in front of her eyes, Marvel just tries to put as must distance between Namor and herself as possible, without loosing sight of him. The Atlantean gives chase but she cannot hear him over the roar of the wind and distance.

Marvel keeps Stamina of Atlas and Speed of Mercury. She flies roughly 2000' away... Namor closes that gap to about 200'.

ROUND ELEVEN
Initiative: Marvel (55) Namor (12)
Conditions: Marvel (-2 to Checks) Namor (Staggered; -5 Checks)

"Okay," she thought, "Enough of the macho kung-fu. Let's do this cheap and dirty -- SHAZAM!"

Namor charges straight through the bolt, slowed only for a moment and bellowing in rage.

Marvel keeps Speed of Mercury but opts for Power of Zeus on her other ring with a Free Action, her Move action take her to 800' distance, and her Standard Action brings the lightning... Namor's Dodge fails and he needs to test against DC23 with a -5 penalty. He rolls a lowly 8, for a grand total of 15.

Namor move to bring the distance to close range.

ROUNDS ELEVEN to FOURTEEN
Marvel keeps the distance open with Speed of Mercury and spamming the Power of Zeus. Namor manages to Dodge everything and/or soak the damage. Until...

ROUND FIFTEEN
Initiative: Marvel (45) Namor (17)
Conditions: Marvel (-2 to Checks) Namor (Staggered; -6 Checks)

"SHA-goddam-ZAM!" Marvel continued to back away from her opponent with the speed of a fighter jet, as yet another bolt out of the blue crashed into Namor.

To Marvel's exhausted amazement, Namor didn't roar in defiance or cry out in pain. He just sort of, paused. As the last of the lighting passed through him, he began to fall. Turning end over end, clearly out of control... out of action. She'd done it!

Now she just needed to catch him before he broke his spine from the fall...

Marvel keeps Speed of Mercury and Power of Zeus, her Move action take her to 800' and her Standard Action zaps Namor... Namor's Dodge fails once again, his test against DC23 with a -6 penalty sees him rolling a 2(!), which only gives him an 8 altogether... Namor is incapacitated!

AFTER-ACTION REPORT
Doctor Marvel wins! How about that? The fight shifted her way almost from the get-go, had her openning Slam Attack not resulted in that Critical Hit -- or even missed altogether -- Namor would have had his full range of actions. Putting that Staggered Condition on him is, ultimately, what kept Marvel in the fight.

Namor played more-or-less how I'd want him to. He's fast, he's got a throwing weapon, but ultimately he wants to get into close range and "wrassle."

Doctor Marvel, as expected, continues to "punch above her weight" when she has the right combination of powers active from her Ring of Wonders array; the trick is being able to pick the right combo for the moment. She really needed speed, strength, and invulnerability in order to match Namor. She could only use two. Eventually the best option really did seem to be to just play keep-away, the Damage 8 Lightning wasn't a great threat to a healthy Namor, but when the Toughness penalty got big enough... Shazam.
Batgirl III
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Woodclaw » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:21 pm

Nice fight although a bit unfair from my perspective. While Namor is definitely more powerful, Doc got a lot more options and the speed/Ranged attack combo is often a nasty game-breaker.
Also, in my experience, every time you put an underdog against a big gun, the underdog will score some kind of lucky shot, either at the beginning or the end of the fight (see my Showdown in Old Detroit fight).
"Yes, it's a bloody flying alligator setting fire to my city!"

Sam Vimes (Guards! Guards!)

From a dark corner of my mind (my build's thread)
From another dark corner of my mind (my Deviantart page)
Woodclaw
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Earth-Two_Kenn » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:43 pm

Hmmm. Fun fight.

I have one question/observation: When I check the Damage Matrix table, a 20 Toughness (14+6) check vs 21 Damage results in an Incapacitated result. Of course, this would've made for a very short fight as that was the first round. Since 36 (21+16) - 20 (14+6) = 16, I can see where you'd count 3 degrees, but the book itself seems to be saying it's in the 4th degree. I don't know if it's you, me, or the book.
Over eleven hundred DCA/M&M Character builds at http://www.rcuhero.net
Earth-Two_Kenn
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Re: Batgirl III's Character Thread (Namor vs. Doctor Marvel!)

Postby Psistrike » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:38 pm

Fun fight but a few things I noted. Free actions, you can have as many per round as you wish within reason, don't need extra effort to do 2 free actions. 2: Area attacks allow a Dodge check against rank+10 DC to reduce the effective ranks of the attack to half normal for the Toughness save. 3: Steve corrected one thing about the dazed and staggered conditions. It says you can switch out your standard action for a move or free action. He confirmed you can still do free actions without them costing you your move or standard action. 4: You only need to roll for initiative at the beginning of the fight. Unless you wish to roll for it each round, that is a personal choice.

The descriptions of how the fight went were fun to read and spot on for Namor, plus loved as Doctor Marvel quipped to herself as if talking to her students right before the fight started.
Psistrike
Luminary
Luminary

Re: Batgirl III's Character Thread (Namor vs. Doctor Marvel!)

Postby Batgirl III » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:51 pm

Feedback noted, and I've clearly got some studying up on the nuances of the rules to do. :wink:
Batgirl III
Luminary
Luminary

Make It So...

Postby Batgirl III » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:56 pm

CAPTAIN JEAN-LUC PICARD
Star Trek: The Next Generation
Power Level 8 ( 120 PP)

Star Trek: The Next Generation wrote:Space, the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before!

ABILITIES
Strength 0 Stamina 2 Agility 2 Dexterity 2
Fighting 4 Intellect 9 Awareness 3 Presence 5

POWERS
TYPE-2 PHASER (Array; 25 PP Base) (Flaws: Easily Removable [-2 per 5]) [ 15 PP Total ]
Level One, Narrow Affliction 10 (Resist Fortitude; Dazed, Stunned, Incapacitated; E: Ranged) [ 20 PP ]
AE: Level One, Wide Affliction 8 (Resist Fortitude; Dazed, Stunned, Incapacitated; E: Area [Cone, 60']) [ 1 PP ]
AE: Level Seven, Narrow Damage 8 (E: Accurate [1], Ranged, Penetrating [3]) [ 1 PP ]
AE: Level Seven, Wide Damage 8 (E: Area [Cone, 60'], Penetrating [3]) [ 1 PP ]
AE: Level Ten Damage 10 (E: Ranged) [ 1 PP ]
AE: Level Sixteen Weaken Toughness 5 (E: Affects Objects, Concentration, Incurable, Ranged; F: Check Required [Expertise: Technology DC 11]) [ 1 PP ]

EQUIPMENT ( 35 EP Total )
COMMBADGE (25 PP Base) (Flaws: Removable [-1 per 5]) [ 20 EP Total ]
Communicator Communication 4 (Worldwide, Subspace) (E: Subtle [1]) [ 17 PP ]
Universal Translator Comprehend 3 (Languages; Speak All, Understand All, Understood by All; E: Subtle [2]) [ 8 PP ]

TRICORDER ( 25 PP Base) (Flaws: Easily Removable [-2 per 5]) [ 15 EP Total ]
LCARS Interface Enhanced Skills 10 (Expertise: Medicine +2, Military +2, Science +2; Treatment +2; Technology +2) [ 5 PP ]
Senor Suite Senses 20 (See List Below) [ 20 PP ]
Auditory: Accurate [1], Accute, Analytical [2], Extended [1], Radius, Ranged, Ultrahearing [1];
Radio: Type [1], Accute, Analytical [2], Extended [1], Radius, Ranged, Ultrahearing [1];
Olfactory: Accute [2], Analytical [2], Radius, Ranged [1];
Visual: Accurate, Accute, Ranged, Analytical [2], Microscopic [DNA; 3]

ADVANTAGES
Beginner's Luck, Benefit [Starfleet Officer], Connected, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll (2), Equipment (7), Inspire (2), Jack of All Trades, Leadership, Skill Mastery [Persuasion], Ultimate Effort [Persuasion], Well Informed

SKILLS
Close Attack [Unarmed] 4 (+8), Deception 3 (+8), Expertise [History] 6 (+15), Expertise [Medicine] 2 (+11) Expertise [Military] 4 (+13 / +15), Expertise [Science] 4 (+13 / +15), Expertise [Tactics] 6 (+15), Expertise [Treatment] 2 (+11), Expertise [Technology] +2 (+11), Investigation 1 (+9), Persuasion 7 (+12), Ranged Combat [Phaser] 4 (+6), Treatment 2 (+9), Technology 4 (+13 / +15), Vehicles 3 (+5)

DEFENSE
Dodge (5) Base 3
Parry: (4) Base 0
Fortitude: (3) Base 1
Toughness: (4/2) Base -
Will: (7) Base 4

WORKSHEET
Attack: 8 Effect: 0 (Unarmed) Total: 8
Attack: 6 Effect: 10 (L1 Narrow) Total: 16
Attack: -- Effect: 8 (L1 Wide) Total: 8 (of 8)
Attack: 8 Effect: 8 (L7 Narrow) Total: 16
Attack: -- Effect: 8 (L7 Wide) Total: 8 (of 8)
Attack: 6 Effect: 10 (L10) Total: 16
Attack: 6 Effect: 5 (L17) Total: 11
Dodge 5 Toughness 4 Total: 10
Parry 4 Toughness 4 Total: 8
Fortitude 3 Will 7 Total: 10

ABILITIES [ 54 pp ] + SKILLS [ 23 pp ] + ADVANTAGES [ 20 pp ] + POWERS [ 15 pp ] + DEFENSES [ 8 pp ] = 120 PP TOTAL

:idea: It's the Phaser. The Star Trek universe is filled with fantastic technology, but mostly all of it is devoted to making things faster, easier, or more energy effiecent. Starfleet Officers are incredibly skilled and highly trained... but, in superhero gaming terms, they're basically operating in the real world, except for those phasers.
Last edited by Batgirl III on Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Batgirl III
Luminary
Luminary

PreviousNext

Return to Roll Call