Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

3E Mechanics Question

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.

Moderators: The Mod Squad, The Justice League, M&M Line Developer

3E Mechanics Question

Postby Zen_Gypsy » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:08 am

A quick question in regards to Descriptors & Limitations, and I figured I would ask the experts here ...

Assuming the following is taken on a Speedster, to represent him grabbing you, and running fast enough that you can't breath:

Hyper Velocity Suffocation: Affliction 8: Dazed, Stunned, Incapacitated; Resisted by Fortitude. (Cumulative, Grab Based) (8 points)

Pretty simple, but now my question, can you then put Limited: Only vs Breathing Opponents on the attack, or is the Hyper Velocity Suffocation descriptor mean that Immunity: Suffocation works, hence no point reduction for the Limitation?

Though I suppose I could rework it to represent the massive speed, pressure, air friction that the speedster himself is immune to.

Any input would be much appreciated!
"If sacred spaces are spared the ravages of war -- make all places sacred. And if the holy people are to be kept harmless from war -- make all peoples holy." -- Norrin Radd (Silver Surfer: Requiem; J. Michael Straczynski)
Zen_Gypsy
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Re: 3E Mechanics Question

Postby Shock » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:24 am

It's not actually a Suffocation effect so I wouldn't say that that immunity would apply. So yes, I think I would allow that limitation. Although I'd make it a Quirk instead because the majority of opponents are going to have to breathe in most campaigns.
Shock
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby catsi563 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:27 pm

I agree with Shock. As a GM id be inclined to give you 1 pp for the quirk but since a speedster is unlikely to try the trick on a robot or the like the quirk wouldnt come up often.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

The Litterbox

http://www.fanfiction.net/~catsi563
catsi563
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Postby Zen_Gypsy » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:15 pm

Perfect! Thanks for the help guys! :)
"If sacred spaces are spared the ravages of war -- make all places sacred. And if the holy people are to be kept harmless from war -- make all peoples holy." -- Norrin Radd (Silver Surfer: Requiem; J. Michael Straczynski)
Zen_Gypsy
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Return to Roll Call