Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

Ysariel's stuff: Adaptive Armor, Ice Cream Headache

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.

Ysariel's stuff: Adaptive Armor, Ice Cream Headache

Postby Ysariel » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:24 am

Where I put my submissions for games and other stuff for easy reference. :mrgreen:

Active
[3e] PL 10, 154pp Warp, space/time controller, Time of Crisis 3e
[2e] PL 09, 145pp Amethyst, battlesuit, San Antonio Avengers
[3e] PL 11, 171pp Amethyst, battlesuit, Vanguard Mission Team Alpha
[2e] PL 11, 183pp Dash, speedster/kinetic energy controller, Gulf Coast Guardians
[2e] PL 10, 150pp Shirin, mystic, Terminusscape

Concluded/abandoned/quit/hiatus
[2e] PL 12, 180pp Nova, cosmic energy controller, Hellworld
[3e] PL 10, 150pp Skylark, costumed avenger, Emerald City Watchmen
[3e] PL 10, ∞ pp Specter, psychic, The Perfectibilists
[3e] PL 10, 150pp Witchgirl, mystic, Heroes of Tomorrow
[2e] PL 10, 152pp Skylark, costumed avenger, Freedom City Iron Age (Previous versions: 150pp)
[3e] PL 11, 165pp Sun Wukong, trickster hero, Incarnation (Previous versions: PL 10, 150pp)
[2e] PL 10, 150pp Miss Miracle, mystic/light controller, Crisis at Crusader Citadel
[3e] PL 06, 85pp Arilyn, mystic, Quests & Glory
[3e] PL 12, 180pp A.S.T.R.A., magitech android, Discord

Rejected
[2e] PL 09, 150pp Skylark, costumed avenger (Kenseido's Force Ops)
[3e] PL 13, 298pp Aeon, cosmic energy controller (Trinity)
[3e] PL 10, 150pp Miss Miracle, light controller (The Valiant)
[3e] PL 10, 150pp Skylark, costumed avenger (New Sapphire Cove Adventures)

Powers
Orbital Strike
Adaptive Armor
Ice Cream Headache
Last edited by Ysariel on Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:49 am, edited 51 times in total.
My stuff • I GM Emerald City Knights, Adventures Assemble! (with kenseido)
Ysariel
Paragon
Paragon

Re: Y's characters

Postby Ysariel » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:01 am

Nova (PL 12; 180PP)
Concept: Space Police cosmic energy controller
Tradeoffs: None

Fade's rampage across worlds eventually drew the attention of other powers. From their base on the world of New Eden, the Star Wardens - trans-dimensional crusaders of justice - began plans to halt his military campaign. Before they could amass enough resources, though, Fade's armies began enroaching on the outermost Star Warden protectorate dimensions. Nova, the only Warden in that sector, received an emergency field promotion to Galaxy-Class and orders to disrupt Fade's war machine, liberate his worlds and terminate him by any means necessary.

At first the new threat didn't seem all that serious. How much of a danger could one woman, however powerful, be? She caused some trouble but they conquered her world anyway, and went about the process of consolidation.

Then the problems started. A factory blown up here, a cloning facility sabotaged there; it soon became evident that someone was training insurgents, providing them with weapons and information, and organizing them. Slowly, Nova got better and better at her job. Factories started churning out genetic aberrations that were flaws and unusable in combat. The foundries ground to a halt as their databases were wiped and blueprints for the war machines erased. She would flatten dimensional gates, cutting off entire worlds from reinforcement while the rebels wreaked havoc.

The raids got more and more daring, and now they didn't just target the military-industrial base. Nova would dodge helicopter gunships to paint "the Star Wardens are coming" in letters a dozen feet tall across Fade's skyscrapers. She would stage highly publicized attacks on Fade's top commanders and administrators. And what was perhaps the final straw: a daring rebel attack that hijacked an interdimensional live broadcast just so that Nova could say, smirking, to him: "You are not invincible." Uprisings rose like wildfire and six worlds shook off the tyrant in the aftermath of that broadcast as the rebel network pushed its advantage. The knowledge that there were other powers out there, potentially a match for Fade himself, stoked the fires of rebellion and kept hope alive.

When he finally did get his hands on her his rage was legendary.

The last thing she remembered hearing as she was dragged away in chains was some place called "Hellworld"...

Description: Nova appears to be an athletic Caucasian human female in her late teens, with waist-length silver hair and blue eyes. She is dressed in a halterneck crop top, briefs, opera-length gloves and thigh-high boots, and wears a pair of silver shades. Her costume is silver with blue and gold highlights. She is also armed with wrist-mounted blasters which help focus her powers, a translator ear stud, and a disk of silvery metal four feet in diameter which she can use to fly.

Abilities (26pp): STR 14 [+2]; DEX 18 [+4]; CON 16 [+3]; INT 12 [+1]; WIS 12 [+1]; CHA 14 [+2]

Skills (20pp / 80r): Acrobatics 11 (+15), Bluff 7 (+9), Concentration 7 (+8), Diplomacy 7 (+9), Investigation 5 (+6), Knowledge: Civics 5 (+6), Knowledge: Tactics 5 (+6), Notice 9 (+10), Search 9 (+10), Sense Motive 9 (+10), Stealth 6 (+10)

Feats (20pp): Acrobatic Bluff, Attack Specialization: Star Warden Powers 3, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll 3, Dodge Focus 5, Improved Initiative 2, Move-By Action, Power Attack, Quick Change, Takedown 2

Offense (12pp): +6 Base Attack, +12 Initiative, Grapple +2
+12 Cosmic Energy Control, Ranged DC 27 Damage vs Toughness (Autofire)
+12 Strike linked to Stun, Touch DC 27 Damage vs Toughness linked to DC 22 Stun vs Fort
+12 Snare, Perception DC 22 Snare vs Reflex
+12 Disintegration, Touch DC 27 Damage vs Toughness linked to DC 22 Drain Toughness vs Fort

Defense (33pp): Def +12 (Flat-Footed +4), Toughness +3/9*/12**, Fort +10, Ref +10, Will +7
Knockback -6
* Flat-footed; ** With Force Field

Powers (69pp):
"Star Warden Powers" ARRAY 18 [36pp of effects] (Feats: AP 5, Reversible) 42pp
BASE "Blasters" Cosmic Energy Control 12 (Extra: Autofire +1)
-- AP "Neural Scrambler" Strike 12 linked to Stun 12
-- AP "Universal Sanction" Snare 12 (Extras: Range [Perception] +1)
-- AP "Cosmic Annihilator" Disintegration 12 (Flaw: Action [Full] -1, Tiring -1)
-- AP "Energy Transfer" Healing 12 (Extras: Total +1)
-- AP "Force Construct" Create Object 12 (Extras: Duration [Continuous] +1)

"Star Warden Ascension"
Speed 1 [Speed: 10 mph / 88 ft per round] 1pp
Leaping 1 [24/12/6ft running/standing/vertical jump] 1pp
Immunity 3 [disease, starvation & thirst, need for sleep] 3pp
Force Field 6 (Extra: Linked +0) 9pp
+ Immunity 6 [heat, cold, radiation, suffocation (no need to breathe), vaccum] (Flaw: Duration [Sustained] -1)

"Visor" Super-Senses 4 Vision [Counters Concealment, Counters Illusion] (Drawback: Noticeable [must be wearing visor] -1pp) 3pp

"Translator" Comprehend 3 [read any, speak any, understand any] (Flaw: Duration [Sustained] -1) 3pp

"Flight Disk" ARRAY 3 [6pp of effects] (Feats: AP 1) 7pp
BASE Flight 6 [Speed: 500 mph] (Flaw: Platform -1)
-- AP Space Travel 6 [Speed: 50 c]

Attributes 26pp + Skills 20pp + Feats 20pp + Offense 12pp + Defense 33pp + Powers 69pp = 180pp

:arrow: So this is Nova, the completely insane character no GM should admit. I confess to not fleshing out the character as much as I should. I just wanted to play an agile, space-themed action girl kicking butt.

:arrow: I'll admit there are a lot of cheap points-saving cheats in there, like the flaw and drawback on her comprehend/super-senses respectively, but it's the only way I could get all of my interdimensional space police equipment in; she really ought to have a universal translator and something to let her see past disguises MIB-style, but comprehend is so expensive. I'm not too happy about the Attack Specialization 3 either. She ought to have more base attack, to represent a really skilled fighter, but I couldn't find the points for that.

:arrow: Nova can rematerialize her equipment at will, so it's not built with the device power. The GM specifically ruled out devices for this game.
Last edited by Ysariel on Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ysariel
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Ysariel » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:29 am

Skylark (PL 10; 150PP)
Concept: Bird-themed costumed adventurer
Tradeoffs: Attack +2 / Save DC -2

Skylark's father is the billionaire hero Falcon, who plucked her from the slums of London, brought her to America and groomed her to be his sidekick and successor. He trained her in swordplay, investigation and stealth and built for her the amazing gadgets with which she took up arms against super-powered criminals. Together they were the perfect duo and for a while it seemed as if the adventures would never end.

Then it all came crashing down --

In the aftermath of Moore's ascension Falcon grew distant and bitter, stung by what he considered the betrayal of the city he had helped protect. He descended into alcoholism and solitude as he watched the city of his birth fall to corruption. He ended Skylark's training, forbade her to take up vigilantism on her own, and sent her off to high school with a trust fund, insisting that the days of heroes were "over". Hurt more than anything else by the sudden distance he put between them, she quietly obeyed.

One night, a few months after that, he simply disappeared. Skylark first noticed when he stopped returning her calls, and when she dashed off to the Aerie - his old headquarters - to find it abandoned in good condition. The Falcon had made many, many enemies in his career and she began to worry if he'd been kidnapped by an old enemy. When the police insisted they couldn't accept a missing persons report on an illegal vigilante, Skylark decided to take matters into her own hands. She pulled on her mask and hit the dens of sin, intending not just to find the Falcon but also reawaken his old self - the brave hero who had laughed down many a criminal mastermind along with her.

Complications

Motivation: Find the missing Falcon and convince him to take back the night!

Relationship: Falcon, her adoptive father, went missing soon after the passing of the Moore Act and was never seen again. As the person who gave her a new life and a sense of purpose, Skylark holds him in high regard and would do anything for him.

Enemy: As the Falcon's sidekick Skylark was well-known to both the police and the city's criminal element. Together they took on many of the city's street gangs, syndicates and drug-runners. She's made her fair share of enemies and since the passing of the Moore Act the police have her costumed identity on file as a dangerous juvenile delinquent.

Idealistic: Skylark was raised and trained for a different age: an age where the police were less corrupt and where brightly-costumed heroes fought crime to the applause of the citizenry. She will always default to nonlethal damage and refrain from questionable methods such as torture. Skylark should gradually lose this complication as the harshness of the world eventually wears down her idealism.

Prejudice: It's hard to take a teenager seriously on matters like crimefighting. Actually some would say it's hard to take a teenager seriously on anything at all. Skylark plays this to her advantage, with her bright costume, whimsical gadgets and flamboyant, mischevious persona, since villains underestimating her is a good thing. This complication is for when it backfires and works against her. "What do you mean, there's a bomb in there? Back to the circus, you freak!"

Description: Skylark is a sixteen-year-old Caucasian girl, with blue eyes and blonde hair in a long ponytail. She stands roughly 5'2 tall and weighs 120 lbs. Her costume is a sleeveless, turtleneck leotard in white and light blue, with a bird motif emblazoned in yellow across the chest and matching long gloves, thigh-high socks, and latex boots in white. She wears a white cape fastened to her throat and wrists, and a utility belt in bright yellow. Her mask is light blue, with opaque white eye holes, and covers the upper half of her face. Even though she was born in the UK Skylark's been in America for long enough that she's adopted the local accent, slang and customs.

Skylark's cape is made of a smart polymer that toughens in response to physical impact, protecting her from blows. It is impervious against small-caliber firearms but not energy weapons. By spreading her arms and leaping the cape becomes rigid and aerodynamic, allowing her to glide. She is armed with a nanomachine blade that is normally collapsed and extends into its full form on command, and feather-shaped throwing darts. Her mask incorporates various sensors and a telescopic vision function.

Abilities (30pp): STR 16 [+3]; DEX 20 [+5]; CON 16 [+3]; INT 14 [+2]; WIS 10 [+0]; CHA 14 [+2]

Skills (25pp / 100r): Acrobatics 10 (+15), Bluff 5 (+7), Climb 7 (+10), Diplomacy 5 (+7), Disable Device 8 (+10), Gather Information 8 (+10), Investigate 6 (+8), Knowledge: Arts 2 (+4), Knowledge: Streetwise 4 (+6), Notice 9 (+9), Performance: Singing 13 (+15), Search 7 (+9), Sense Motive 8 (+8), Stealth 8 (+13)

Feats (25pp): Attack Focus: Melee 4, Contacts [costumed vigilantes], Defensive Roll 2, Dodge Focus 3, Elusive Target, Evasion 1, Improved Critical: Swords 1, Improved Initiative 2, Lionheart [+4 will save vs fear], Sword Mastery [+2 damage with swords in melee]

"Lark Ascending" Fighting Style 8 (Accurate Attack, Acrobatic Bluff, Defensive Attack, Improved Block, Improved Disarm, Power Attack, Takedown Attack 2)

Combat (30pp):
Offense: +12 Melee, +12 Blast (+8 Base Attack); DC 23 Strike [18-20 crit] (needs sword), DC 19 Blast [18-20 crit], DC 18 Unarmed
Defense: +10 (Flat-Footed +4); Grapple +15; Knockback -5
Initiative: +13

Saves (13pp): Toughness: +3/8*/10**; Fortitude: +6; Reflex: +9; Willpower: +6/10***
* Flat-footed; ** With Device; *** vs fear only

Powers (26pp):

"Larking Around"
Speed 1 [Speed: 10 mph / 88ft per round] 1pp
Leaping 1 [26/13/6ft running/standing/vertical jump] 1pp

"Skylark's Song" DEVICE 1 [5pp of effects; easy to lose 3pp/r] (Feats: Subtle 1 [collapsible]) 4pp
Strike 3 (Feats: Improved Critical 1 [19-20], Mighty)

"Feather Fall" - feather darts DEVICE 2 [10pp of effects; hard to lose 4pp/r] 8pp
Blast 4 (Feats: Accurate 2, Improved Critical 2 [18-20], Reduced Range [2 increments] -2pp)

"Wings of Steel" - smart polymer cape DEVICE 2 [10pp of effects; hard to lose 4pp/r] 8pp
Flight 3 [Speed: 50 mph] (Flaw: Gliding -1)
Protection 5
Impervious Toughness 4 (Flaw: Limited [vs physical only] -1)

"A Bird's-Eye View" - mask DEVICE 1 [5pp of effects; hard to lose 4pp/r] 4pp
Super-Senses 5 Darkvision; Distance Sense; Vision (Extended 2 [1,000ft increment])

Equipment (1pp / 5ep):
Mini-Tracer 1ep
Smartphone [cell phone + camera] 2ep
Secure Communicator [as commlink, add Subtle 1] 2ep

Attributes 30pp + Skills 25pp + Feats 25pp + Combat 30pp + Saves 13pp + Powers 26pp + Equipment 1pp = 150pp

:arrow: Skylark's my first really 'complete' character, in that she's got a concept, background, look and powers that I'm all happy with. She should also have the most peaceful superhero theme song ever. Maybe it's just me, but there's a strain of innocence lost in the music which I think fits the character perfectly.

:arrow: In costume Skylark's a mischievous, happy-go-lucky type, the Robin to her father's Batman (if I'm reading their relationship right, based off what's on Wikipedia :D). Part of this is just acting, of course: she wants villains to take her less seriously, as the kid hero sidekick. Beneath the mask, she's only a girl looking for her dad. Sky's fought by her father's side her whole life, and without him she's lost... but still determined to be brave and get him back.

:arrow: Skylark has a high Singing skill to represent how she's a gifted singer, and hint at why her codename's not something closer to her father's bird-of-prey theme.

:arrow: For this character I asked the GM for, and was granted, a feat that adds +2 damage when using swords only. I also discovered it's really really expensive to give characters more than one attack that isn't arrayed, especially on a character like this where I have to buy lots of feats and skills. I think that, if I were to ever submit Skylark for another game, I might do her weapons as a single hard-to-remove device, with the footnote that the sword can still be disarmed from her. Like this:

"Skylark's Song" DEVICE 2 [10pp of effects; hard to lose 4pp/r] 8pp
ARRAY 4 [8pp of effects] (Array Feats: AP 1)
BASE "Collapsible Sword" Strike 3 (Feats: Improved Critical 1 [19-20], Mighty, Subtle 1 [collapsible])
-- AP "Feather Darts" Blast 4 (Feats: Accurate 2, Improved Critical 2 [18-20], Reduced Range [2 increments] -2pp)
Ysariel
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Ysariel » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:33 am

So here's my submission. The powers are based off my foggy memories of the novels which I read when I was like ten, so they may not be 100% accurate :) Design notes and detailed descriptors are at the very bottom.

I'm kind of disappointed because the background doesn't really seem like it gives a good sense of what type of person she is. Something's not clicking and I'm not sure what it is. I hope I'll be allowed to make some more tweaks to everything except the build before the deadline.

Vicky Wu / Wu Weiqi (PL 10; 150PP)
Avatar of Sun Wukong, Great Saint Equal of Heaven, Handsome Monkey King, Victorious Battling Buddha
Concept: Trickster hero

Born in China, Vicky's dream was to become a movie action star - someone like Michelle Yeoh or Jackie Chan, starring in a big-budget Golden Harvest production. That dream lasted all of six years before her parents slapped it out of her for something more practical and sent her off to school on her road to become an engineer. Bright, hardworking Vicky aced her exams, became the best student in her town, and went to a big-city university where she discovered that she was just one among millons of bright, hardworking Chinese, and ultimately nothing exceptional. At age twenty-two she graduated with honors and joined the 'ant race' - the overqualified underclass of university graduates slaving away at menial jobs in hopes of one day landing the positions they trained for.

She was walking home from her job as a waitress late one rainy night when cries of "Help! Robbery!" from a back alley caught her attention. Without thinking, Vicky dropped everything and went after the mugger. Unfortunately, this didn't work out as well in real life as it did in the movies, and the assailant left her bleeding to death with a knife between her ribs. As her vision grew dark, she dimly heard a not-quite-human voice shouting, "You're not allowed to die yet, idiot!"

Vicky woke up the next morning, safely in bed, after a strange dream featuring Sun Wukong merrily flipping through the Book of Life and Death while King Yan Luo, god of the underworld, frantically tried to stop him. Wondering if it had all been a nightmare, she got up, looked in the mirror, and completely freaked out upon discovering she had a three-foot furry tail attached to the base of her spine. Over the next week or so, she discovered, much to her bewilderment, that she'd been turned into some sort of gender-swapped clone of the Monkey King. Trying out her powers one night on a whim, she tried a somersault --

-- And ended up half a world away in Puerto Rico, in the middle of a raging hurricane.

Description: Vicky's a Han Chinese woman in her early twenties, with long black hair, dark eyes and a slight build. When she doesn't have eyebags from working multiple shifts, she's a bright little bubble of energy, lively and talkative. She dresses simply, in canvas shoes, slacks and T-shirts, but since the change, she's taken to wearing baggy, oversized shirts that hang really low to help hide her tail.

Complications:

Motivation: Vicky has a very strong sense of justice; she's hard-pressed to resist any opportunity to stand up for the little guy, whether they're the victim of bullying employers, petty crimes or vicious landladies.

Responsibility: Vicky's family means everything to her, and a big chunk of her modest paycheck goes to them every month. At the same time, there's a lot that she doesn't dare to share with them for fear of letting them down or making them worry: her employment problems, money, and this superpower thing.

Secret: Vicky's too embarassed to admit to her family and friends back home that she's not, in fact, a highly paid white-collar worker hanging on the arm of a wealthy boyfriend. She's successfully sold them the lie that she doesn't send more money home every month as she's saving up to buy an apartment.

Secret: Whether it's a cosmic joke or genetic mutation, Vicky's monkey tail is something she's not eager to go waving around in public anytime soon since it makes her look like some sort of vat-grown freak, and she can't work up the nerve to cut it off, either. She's actually begun considering a mask, just in case...

Abilities (14pp): Strength 3, Stamina 3, Agility 6, Dexterity 0, Fighting 6, Intellect 4, Awareness 0, Presence 3

Powers (93pp):

"Monkey King's Favor"
Enhanced Ability 18 [Strength 3, Stamina 3, Agility 6, Fighting 6] 36pp
Enhanced Advantage 4 [Devious Plan* 3, Taunt] 4pp
Enhanced Skill 8 [Deception 4, Insight 4] (Limited [only for combat interactions] -1) 2pp
Protection 7 linked to Impervious Toughness 10 17pp
Extra Limbs 1 [tail] 1pp
* As Inspire

"Golden-Banded Wishing Rod" STR-Based Damage 7 7pp
"Fiery Eyes and Golden Pupils" Senses 2 Vision (Counters Illusion) (Noticeable [eyes glow] -1pp) 1pp

"Monkey Magic"
BASE "72 Transformations" Morph 4 [any appearance, 5pp/r] 20pp + 5pp
-- AE "Miraculous Creation" Create 4 [real objects] (Continuous +1, Innate, Precise +1, Subtle)
-- AE "Perfect Duplication" Summon 5 [duplicate; powers/traits at half ranks] (Active +1)
-- AE "Somersault Cloud" Flight 10 [Speed: 2,000 mph]
-- AE "Three Heads, Six Arms" Enhanced Extra 10 (Multiattack 10, Variable Descriptor 2 [any melee])
-- AE "Body-Freezing Spell" Affliction 10 [Fort vs. dazed/stunned/paralyzed] (Limited [only vs minions] -1, Perception +2)

Advantages (10pp): Accurate Attack, Agile Feint, All-Out Attack, Defensive Attack, Improved Initiative, Move-By Attack, Languages 1 [English, Mandarin (free); Base: Hokkien], Power Attack, Takedown, Uncanny Dodge [mental]

Skills (16pp / 32r): Acrobatics 4 (+10), Athletics 5 (+8), Close Combat: Staff 4 (+10), Deception 2 (+9**/5), Expertise: Engineering 4 (+8), Insight 2 (+6**/2), Perception 5 (+5), Persuasion 2 (+5), Technology 4 (+8)
** for combat interactions only

Offense: Initiative: +10
  • +10 Golden-Banded Wishing Rod (Close, STR-based Damage, DC 25 Toughness)
  • -- Body-Freezing Spell (Perception, Affliction, DC 20 Fort vs dazed/stunned/paralyzed, only vs minions)

Defense (17pp):
Defense: Dodge 4 (+10), Parry 4 (+10), Toughness: +10, Fortitude: 4 (+7), Will: 5 (+7***)
*** Includes +2 Will save from PRE ranks 1 and 3

Abilities 14pp + Powers 93pp + Advantages 10pp + Skills 16pp + Defenses 17pp = 150pp

Damage: The golden-banded staff is such an iconic part of Wukong, but I can't imagine him giving away the real thing, even to an avatar. So Vicky doesn't have the actual rod; instead, she has the magical power to turn any rod/staff-like object into an "echo" of the real weapon: quarterstaff, spear, broomstick, anything she can lift as a light load.

Morph: Wukong can transform himself into anything with his 72 transformations. However, in the novels, he never uses it the way a shapeshifter would, e.g. turning into a shark to fight underwater. It ends up being used for disguise and deception a lot more often. So 1) he probably really has the Morph power and not some sort of shapeshift, or 2) he has the real thing and Vicky only got Morph, I haven't decided.

Create, Summon: With a hair plucked from his body and a puff of air, Wukong can create anything, from objects to clones of himself. The joke here is that while the real Wukong can create vast numbers of clones and overrun everything with them, Vicky gets one measely one.

Enhanced Extra: Wukong regularly gave himself extra heads/arms to fight many enemies at once, but Vicky doesn't literally sprout 2 extra pairs of arms since I can't picture how that works. Instead, she attacks so fast she's just a blur.

Affliction: Wukong can point at an enemy and instantly paralyze them. It never ever fails, although for some reason he never used it on any seriously dangerous foes, so I assume it only works against people with low magic power (translation: plot relevance).
Last edited by Ysariel on Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
Ysariel
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Ysariel » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:37 am

Skylark (PL 9; 150PP)
Concept: Bird-themed costumed avenger
Tradeoffs: Attack +3 / Save DC -3; Defense +1 / Toughness -1

Complications

Motivation: Protect the innocent - if we don't, nobody will!

Relationship: Industrialist, billionaire recluse, and former costumed avenger, the Falcon gave up a hero's life after losing most of his closest friends to criminal forces and failing to prevent the destruction of downtown Freedom City. As the person who gave her a new life and a sense of purpose, Skylark holds him in high regard and would do almost anything for him.

Relationship: The Falcon doesn't approve of Skylark's continued vigilantism. He considers Freedom City a lost cause - and secretly, is afraid he'll lose her the way he lost so many of his lifelong comrades. For this reason Skylark doesn't have access to any of her father's considerable wealth, connections, equipment and vehicles, but who knows? One day, he just might take more active measures to stop Skylark's heroing.

Secret: Nobody, not even among crime-fighting circles, knows that Skylark is the Falcon's adopted daughter. They've both agreed it's safer if she's seen as just a teen sidekick.

Enemy: As the Falcon's sidekick Skylark was well-known to the city's criminal element. Together they took on many of the city's street gangs, syndicates and drug-runners. She's made her fair share of enemies among the dens of sin, and the fact that she's been sighted alone and without her mentor lately has not gone unnoticed...

Idealistic: Skylark will always offer criminals a chance to surrender, avoid taking lives as far as possible and place the lives of others above her own. Remember that scene in a recent superhero movie where the protagonist catches a mugger he was fighting just in time to stop him falling to death? That's the sort of thing she would do.

Prejudice: It's hard to take a teenager seriously on matters like crimefighting. Actually some would say it's hard to take a teenager seriously on anything at all. Skylark plays this to her advantage, with her bright costume, whimsical gadgets and flamboyant, mischevious persona, since villains underestimating her is a good thing. This complication is for when it backfires and works against her. "What do you mean, there's a bomb in there? Back to the circus, you freak!"

Description: Skylark is a sixteen-year-old Caucasian girl, with blue eyes and blonde hair in a long ponytail. She stands roughly 5'0 tall and weighs 120 lbs. Her costume is a sleeveless, turtleneck leotard in white and light blue, with a bird motif emblazoned in yellow across the chest and matching long gloves, thigh-high socks, and latex boots in white. She wears a white cape fastened to her throat and wrists, and a utility belt in bright yellow. Her mask is light blue, with opaque white eye holes, and covers the upper half of her face. Even though she was born in the UK Skylark's been in America for long enough that she's adopted the local accent, slang and customs.

Skylark's costume is made of a smart polymer that toughens in response to physical impact, protecting her from blows. It is impervious against small-caliber firearms but not energy weapons. By spreading her arms and leaping the cape becomes rigid and aerodynamic, allowing her to glide. She is armed with a nanomachine blade that is normally collapsed and extends into its full form on command, and feather-shaped throwing darts. Her mask incorporates various sensors and a telescopic vision function.

Abilities (30pp): STR 16 [+3]; DEX 20 [+5]; CON 16 [+3]; INT 14 [+2]; WIS 10 [+0]; CHA 14 [+2]

Skills (25pp / 100r): Acrobatics 10 (+15), Bluff 5 (+7), Climb 7 (+10), Diplomacy 5 (+7), Disable Device 8 (+10), Gather Information 8 (+10), Investigate 6 (+8), Knowledge: Arts 2 (+4), Knowledge: Streetwise 4 (+6), Notice 9 (+9), Performance: Singing 13 (+15), Search 7 (+9), Sense Motive 8 (+8), Stealth 8 (+13)

Feats (29pp): Attack Focus: Melee 4, Attack Specialization: Thrown Weapons 2, Contacts [costumed vigilantes], Defensive Roll 3, Dodge Focus 3, Elusive Target, Evasion 1, Improved Critical: Swords 1, Improved Critical: Thrown Weapons 1, Improved Initiative 2, Lionheart [+4 will save vs fear], Quick Draw

"Lark Ascending" Fighting Style 8 (Accurate Attack, Acrobatic Bluff, Defensive Attack, Improved Block, Improved Disarm, Power Attack, Takedown Attack 2)

Combat (30pp):
Offense: +12 Melee, +12 Blast (+8 Base Attack); DC 21 Strike [18-20 crit] (sword), DC 20 Blast [18-20 crit] (feather blades), DC 20 Blast [Area Cone] (feather blades), DC 18 Unarmed
Defense: +10 (Flat-Footed +4); Grapple +15; Knockback -4
Initiative: +13

Saves (13pp): Toughness: +3/5*/8**; Fortitude: +6; Reflex: +9; Willpower: +6/10***
* Flat-footed; ** With Device; *** vs fear only

Powers (17pp):

"Larking Around" - training
Speed 1 [Speed: 10 mph / 88ft per round] 1pp
Leaping 1 [26/13/6ft running/standing/vertical jump] 1pp

"Skylark's Song" - swordplay
Enhanced Extra 6 (Extra: Autofire 6, Variable Descriptor 1 [any sword]) 7pp

"Wings of Steel" - smart polymer costume DEVICE 2 [10pp of effects; hard to lose 4pp/r] 8pp
Protection 2
Impervious Toughness 4 (Flaw: Limited [vs physical only] -1)
Flight 3 [Speed: 50 mph] (Flaw: Wings [can't fly if snared/grappled; turns off if any knockback suffered] -1)
Super-Senses 3 Darkvision; Vision (Extended 1 [100ft increment])

Equipment (6pp / 30ep):
Mini-Tracer, Flashlight, Nylon Rope, Smartphone [cell phone + camera + PDA] 6ep
"Sword" Strike 3 (Feats: Improved Critical 1 [19-20], Mighty, Subtle 1 [collapsible]) 6ep
"Utility Belt" Equipment Array 15ep + 3ep
BASE "Lark's Cry" Stun 5 [sonic grenade] (Extra: Area [Burst] +1, Range [Ranged] +1; Flaw: Sense-Dependent [Hearing] -1)
-- AP "Lullaby Darts" Paralyze 5 [tranquilizers] (Extras: Alt Save [Fort] +0, Range [Ranged] +1, Sleep +0)
-- AP "Feather Blades" Blast 2 [throwing blades] (Feat: Improved Critical 1 [19-20], Mighty)
-- AP "Fan of Feathers" Strike 2 [throwing blades] (Extra: Area [Cone] +1; Feat: Mighty)

Attributes 30 + Skills 25 + Feats 29 + Combat 30 + Saves 13 + Powers 17 + Equipment 6 = 150
Ysariel
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Ysariel » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:16 am

The third, and probably final version of this character, in 3e instead. This is Skylark in a bright, four-color world, the way she was always meant to be.

I was very lucky to make it into this particular game. Recruitment was extremely tough.

Skylark (PL 10; 150PP)
"Listen. The only superpower that matters," she put a hand over his heart, "is this."
Concept: Bird-themed costumed avenger
Tradeoffs: Attack +4 / Save DC -4; Defense +3 / Toughness -3

Some people are prodigies in science, sports, the arts. Michelle is a prodigy in beating up criminals. When reclusive billionaire Jake Baxter came to Emerald City in the early 2000's, he chanced upon her laying into a pack of bullies in the compound of her orphanage. When it was over, he walked over with a chat with the fiesty young girl nursing her lumps. He turned out to be veteran costumed vigilante the Falcon, here for a quiet retirement after two decades of crimebusting in Freedom City. She turned out to be his successor.

The Falcon took her under his wing and, over the next eight years, imparted to Michelle everything he knew about crimefighting, technology and combat. Together they crafted her costumed identity - he suggested Skylark after finding out her talent lay in singing. The year she graduated from high school was also the year he passed away, leaving behind their underground lair, a significant share of his fortune, and a lifetime's worth of exotic technology, trophies and tools she has only begun to sift through.

In the six months since Skylark's remained in the city under the pretense of taking a gap year - but she's seriously considering not going to college. Heroing is a full-time job, after all. Right now, she's just enjoying what might be the last carefree months of a very busy life to come.

Complications:

Motivation (Doing Good): When all else fails, what keeps her going is the knowledge that if she doesn't fight on, nobody will.

Secret: Skylark is Michelle Baxter

Obsession: Skylark hates bullies with a fiery passion. It doesn't matter if the bullies are male or female, adults or children. It doesn't matter if she's in or out of costume. Whether the bullying is physical or the more insidious sort, if she sees any she WILL intervene.

Friend: Quiet, reserved Kristen is Skylark's closest friend, whom she has known since her childhood days at the orphanage. There are few secrets either will not share with the other, and Kristen is the only person who knows Skylark's secret identity. Skylark still visits her often at her foster home.

Relationship: Roland Wolfram is Skylark's boyfriend. A heir of one of Emerald City's up-and-coming tech giants, they met when she saved him from a kidnapping. Roland thinks it's awesome to be in a serious relationship with a superhero, but he's prone to worrying for her and doing reckless stuff due to it. Like showing up mid-battle to try and "help" her. Or fiddling with her equipment to try make it better. And he doesn't take it well when she insists she doesn't need his help.

Enemy: Investigative journalist Julia Wiggins is also the host of Capewatch, a local talk show that's all about hero gossip. Skylark gets a fair share of the coverage given that there aren't that many costumed types in the city. Recent commentary has touched on: Skylark's secret identity, the identity of her rumored boyfriend, a critical review of her performance during the recent bank heist, etc. Skylark dreads Julia, especially when the woman shows up at crime scenes with a mic, trying to bait her into saying something sensational. In all probability Julia has nothing against the heroine personally, it's all about the ratings. (Imagine Rita Skeeters from Harry Potter and you have a good idea of what this person is like.)

Prejudice: Skylark doesn't have a very good relationship with the ECPD. Given that the region isn't a hotbed of supervillain activity, some officers don't see much need for her capers and don't appreciate her showing them up. They're not out to arrest her, they just think she's a nuisance and/or glory-hog. This should slowly change with the Silver Storm, and working to earn their trust is something Skylark will strive for constantly.

Description: Skylark is an eighteen-year-old Caucasian girl, with blue eyes and blonde hair in a long ponytail. She stands roughly 5'2 tall and weighs 130 lbs. Her costume is a sleeveless, turtleneck leotard in white and light blue, with a bird motif emblazoned in yellow across the chest and matching long gloves, thigh-high socks, and latex boots in white. She wears a white cape fastened to her throat and wrists, and a utility belt in bright yellow. Her half-mask is light blue, with opaque white eye holes, and covers the upper half of her face.

Abilities (78pp): Strength 3, Stamina 3, Agility 6, Dexterity 4, Fighting 13, Intellect 5, Awareness 2, Presence 3

Powers (7pp):

"Wings of Steel" - costume Protection 3 (Removable -1pp) 2pp
"Lark Ascending" - cape Flight 4 [Speed: 30 mph] (Wings -1, Removable -1pp) 3pp
"A Bird's-Eye View" - mask Senses 3 Radio; Vision (Extended 1, Low-Light Vision) (Removable -1pp) 2pp

"Larking Around" - utility belt Array 8ep + 3ep
BASE "Feather Blades" STR-based Damage 2 [throwing blades] (Ranged 5, Improved Critical 1 [19-20])
-- AE "Sword" STR-based Damage 3 (Improved Critical 1 [19-20], Subtle 1 [collapsible])
-- AE "Lullaby Darts" Affliction 4 [tranqulizer; Fort vs Fatigued/Exhausted/Asleep] (Ranged +1)
-- AE "Lark's Cry" Affliction 4 [stun grenade; Fort vs Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated] (Area [Burst] +1, Ranged +1; Sense-Dependent [hearing] -1)

"The Aerie" Headquarters [Large / Toughness 10; Combat Simulator, Communications, Computer, Concealed, Gym, Infirmary, Laboratory, Living Space, Power System, Security System, Workshop] 15ep
Nylon Rope, Flashlight, Smartphone 4ep

Advantages (22pp): Benefit 4 [multi-millionaire], Close Attack 1, Defensive Roll 1, Equipment 6, Inventor, Inspire 5, Jack of all Trades, Move-by Action, Power Attack, Quick Draw

Skills (25pp / 50r):
Acrobatics 4 (+10), Athletics 5 (+8), Expertise: Music 7 (+10), Insight 2 (+4), Investigation 3 (+8), Perception 6 (+8), Persuasion 3 (+6), Ranged Combat: Throwing 10 (+14), Sleight of Hand 1 (+5), Stealth 2 (+8), Technology 5 (+10), Treatment 1 (+6), Vehicles 1 (+5)

Offense: Initiative: +6
  • +14 Sword (Close, Damage, DC 21 Toughness [19-20 crit])
  • +14 Feather Blades (Ranged, Damage, DC 20 Toughness [19-20 crit])
  • +14 Unarmed (Close, Damage, DC 18 Toughness)
  • +14 Lullaby Darts (Ranged, Affliction, DC 14 Fort vs Fatigued/Exhausted/Asleep)
  • -- Lark's Cry (Ranged Area [Burst], Affliction, DC 14 Fort vs Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated)

Defense (18pp):
Dodge 7 (+13), Parry 0 (+13), Toughness: +6*/7, Fortitude 5 (+8), Will 6 (+8)
* Flat-Footed

Abilities 78 + Powers 7 + Advantages 22 + Skills 25 + Defenses 18 = 150

Wish list wrote:Insight 4
Persuasion 1
Investigation 2
Throwing Mastery 1
Uncanny Dodge

Fascinate [Expertise: Music]
Takedown 2
Last edited by Ysariel on Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ysariel
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Ysariel » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:08 am

Witchgirl (PL 10; 150PP)
Concept: Teenage mystic
Tradeoffs: Attack -2 / Save DC +2; Defense -2 / Toughness +2

Abilities (20pp): STR +0 (10), DEX +0 (10), CON +0 (10), INT +4 (18), WIS +4 (18), CHA +2 (14)

Skills (17pp / 68r): Bluff 6 (+8), Concentration 8 (+12), Craft: Chemical 11 (+15), Diplomacy 6 (+8), Knowledge: Arcane Lore 11 (+15), Knowledge: Business 2 (+6), Knowledge: Pop Culture 2 (+6), Medicine 6 (+10), Notice 6 (+10), Sense Motive 6 (+10), Survival 4 (+8)

Feats (11pp): Accurate Attack, Artificer, Attack Specialization: Magic 1, Dodge Focus 3, Equipment 2, Luck 1, Power Attack, Quick Change

Offense (22pp): Base Attack +6; Initiative +0
+8 Magic, Ranged DC 27 vs Toughness
+8 Drain Toughness, Ranged DC 22 vs Will
+8 Transform, Ranged DC 17 vs Fort, into
--- Blast, Area [Shapeable] DC 20 vs Toughness

Defense (20pp): Defense +8 (Flat-Footed +3), Toughness +0/+12*, Fortitude +7, Reflex +7, Willpower +10
* With Force Field

Powers (62pp):

"Hat" Dimensional Pocket 1 [100 lb] 1pp
"Broom" Flight 3 [50 mph] 6pp

"Maleficarum" ARRAY 14 [28pp of effects] (Feat: AP 5) 33pp
BASE "Sagitta Magica" Magic 12 (Feats: Affects Insubstantial 2, Homing 1, Variable Descriptor 1 [classical element])
-- AP "Magna Evocans" Blast 10 (Extras: Area [Shapeable] +1, Penetrating 5; Flaw: Action [Full] -1; Feats: Affects Insubstantial 2, Variable Descriptor 1 [classical element])
-- AP "Tempestas Irae" Blast 12 [lightning] (Flaw: Action [Full] -1), Weather Control 7 [500 ft; halve movement]
-- AP "Transfigurans" Transform 7 [living being to frog] (Flaw: Action [Full] -1; Extra: Duration [Continuous] +1)
-- AP "Trucidator Titanos" Drain Toughness 12 (Extras: Alt Save [Will] +0; Range [Ranged] +1)
-- AP "Auspicium" ESP 7 [Radius: 200 mi; all senses, 4/r pp]

"Mysteria Adclaro" Super-Senses 3 Detect Magic [ranged, mental] (Acute) 3pp
"Obex Impervia" Force Field 12 (Feat: Ultimate Toughness) linked to Immunity 2 [critical hits] 15pp
"Veneficium" Variable 1 [5pp of effects; 1 power of descriptor: Witchcraft, 5/r pp] (Drawbacks: Action [Full]) 4pp

"Witchgirl's Chantry" Headquarters [as Sanctum Sanctorum, add Infirmary] 10ep

Drawbacks (-2pp)
Power Loss "Maleficium", "Veneficium" (when unable to speak or gesture freely) -1pp

Attributes 20 + Skills 17 + Feats 11 + Offense 22 + Defense 20 + Powers 62 - Drawbacks 2 = 150

Changelog wrote:2012-Aug-27 Fixed a mistake where I was counting Sustained as a -1 Flaw on Immunity. It should be -0 instead. Reduced the Variable power to the 5/r pp version (1 power at a time) to compensate.

Design Notes wrote: :arrow: Here's Witchgirl, who is what it says on the tin. I tried to give her a reason to actually carry a hat and broom around all the time other than looking the part of a witch. The broom was easy, the hat, not so much. Eventually I settled for Dimensional Pocket as a riff on stage magician hat tricks.

:arrow: Witchgirl has a small Variable power instead of the Ritualist feat. To me, witches, as folk (rather than priestly or courtly) magicians, are more about lots of small effects rather than giant rituals. I suspect it's much more practical than rituals that take hours to cast anyway.

:arrow: Despite the name, Witchgirl's forcefield is not actually Impervious, because I do not consider Impervious a points-efficient extra for the benefit it gives. Instead, to represent a very solid forcefield, she acquires Ultimate Toughness as a power feat of it and is immune to criticals as long as she has it up. She can still be overwhelmed by an army of mooks with guns, but when the giant demon tries to flatten her... "Thou shalt not pass!"

:arrow: I've tried to get grammatically correct (or at least, not murderously wrong) Latin spell names for this character. In picking Latin names I've gone for names which I think sound impressive in English, rather than consistency or fidelity to the meaning I wanted. Corrections are very welcome if anyone actually knows Latin out there:

• Sagitta Magica - Magic arrow
  • Magna Evocans - Great summoning
  • Tempestas Irae - Storm of wrath
  • Trucidator Titanos - Titan's slayer (this was supposed to be 'Titan Slayer' i.e. something that slays Titans in general, but Titanorum does not sound as strong; I also broke consistency and went with the masculine form of Trucidator because it's less of a mouthful)
  • Transfigurans - Transfiguration
  • Auspicium - Divination; scrying
  • Veneficium - Witchcraft
  • Mysteria Adclaro - I reveal mysteries (I wanted something like I perceive mysteries, but the closest I could find to 'perceive' was Latin video = 'see', too easily confused with the modern meaning)
  • Obex Impervia - Impassable barrier
Last edited by Ysariel on Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ysariel
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Gilliam » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:07 am

I like Witchgirl very nicely built.
Gilliam
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Ysariel » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:34 am

Wow, thanks! I wasn't expecting comments out of the blue :D
Ysariel
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Ysariel » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:15 am

• 152pp: Changed Bypass to Weaken Toughness instead of Nullify Protection. Added 'Accelerate' as an AE of Chrono-manipulation.
  • 154pp: Removed Insight skill and put all ranks of it into Deception. +2 Deception and +2 Technology.

Warp (PL 10; 154pp)
Concept: Teleporter/Speedster
Tradeoffs: Attack + 2 / Save DC -2; Defense + 2 / Toughness -2

Abilities (40pp): Strength 1, Stamina 2, Agility 5, Dexterity 3, Fighting 4, Intellect 0, Awareness 3, Presence 2

Powers (70pp):

"Space/Time Control" ARRAY 24pp + 3pp
BASE "Warp" Teleport 6 (Accurate +1, Change Direction, Change Velocity, Increased Mass 3, Precise)
-- AE "Jaunt" Teleport 8 (Attack +0, Change Direction, Change Velocity, Increased Mass 3, Limited [only Save DC] 6, Precise, Ranged +1)
-- AE "Bypass" Weaken Toughness 12 (Alternate Resistance: Dodge +0, Concentration +1, Instant Recovery -1, Ranged +1, Inaccurate -2pp)
-- AE "Blink" Damage 7 [STR-based] (Indirect 2, Ranged +1) linked to Weaken Toughness 7 (Alternate Resistance: Dodge +0, Instant Recovery -1, Ranged +1)

"Chrono-manipulation" ARRAY 24pp + 3pp
BASE "Haste" Speed 10, Quickness 10, Enhanced Advantage 4 [Improved Initiative 4]
-- AE "Slow" Affliction 8 [Dodge vs Dazed+Hindered+Vulnerable/--/--] (Extra Condition +2, Limited Degree -2, Perception +2)
-- AE "Rewind" Healing 8 (Limited [only vs injury suffered during the last 1 round] -1, Perception +2)
-- AE "Accelerate" Enhanced Extra 12 [Multiattack 12] (Affects Self and Others +1)

"Compressed Space" Force Field 4 4pp
"Defensive Warp" Enhanced Dodge 4, Enhanced Parry 4 8pp
"Spatial Awareness" Senses 4 Mental Sense (Accurate, Radius, Ranged) 4pp

Advantages (3pp): Defensive Roll 2, Move-By Action

Skills (21pp / 42r): Acrobatics 5 (+10), Athletics 4 (+5), Deception 6 (+8), Expertise: Streetwise 4 (+4), Perception 6 (+9), Ranged Combat: Space/Time Control 9 (+12), Sleight of Hand 1 (+4), Stealth 5 (+10), Technology 2 (+2)

Offense: Initiative +5/21*
  • +12 Jaunt (Ranged, Teleport [Range: 120 ft, Fall damage: DC 23], DC 18 Dodge) **
  • +12 Blink (Ranged, STR-based Damage + Weaken Toughness, DC 23 Toughness + DC 17 Fort)
  • +8 Bypass (Ranged, Weaken Toughness, DC 22 Dodge)
  • -- Slow (Perception, Affliction, DC 18 Dodge vs Dazed+Hindered+Vulnerable
* With Haste active; ** Nullified by Teleport

Defense (20pp): Dodge 3 (+12), Parry 4 (+12), Toughness +8, Fort 6 (+8), Will 7 (+10)

Abilities 40 + Powers 70 + Advantages 3 + Skills 21 + Defense 20 = 154

:arrow: Warp is an agile teleporter/speedster with an accurate exotic sense and a number of options to help out teammates.

:arrow: Warp does not have power attack, as a conscious decision to make a character who's very versatile but not overwhelmingly powerful. On the other hand, while she has a good selection of AEs she has almost no advantages; as someone who discovered her power early on in life she's leaned heavily on it and not learnt many unpowered tricks. Her 1 point of Sleight of Hand represents her experience surviving off petty theft before moving to Freedom City and her Streetwise represents knowledge of the criminal underworld. Despite not being very well-adjusted (no ranks in social skills at all) she has Presence 2 just for force of personality.

:arrow: Teleport attack: This is 2 ranks of teleport, with another 6 ranks that only increase the DC, so that fall damage does not break caps. It has Change Direction and Velocity on it so that I can teleport friends out of falls or throws. With Precise, I hope to be able to do stuff like teleporting guns out of people's hands or teleporting a key into a keyhole.

:arrow: Nullify: Warp can create portals that bypass armor, effectively nullifying it. Others will see 'holes' appearing in the armor for the attack to pass through. Warp can't teleport things into people, so this only works against Protection effects of the 'armor' descriptor. It won't do anything against e.g. a Paragon whose Protection had the descriptor 'impenetrable skin'.

:arrow: Blast: Warp teleports in front of an enemy, punches them, and teleports back for a ranged Damage effect. It is Indirect 2 so she can e.g. teleport and attack someone on the other side of a glass wall. A layer of compressed space (force field) makes her punches hit much harder and she's also using her 'portal past armor' trick so it has a linked Nullify Protection.

:arrow: Healing: Warp can turn back time a few seconds while retaining memory of future events. This allows her a second chance to avoid getting hurt, effectively "healing" her (the damage basically never happened).
Last edited by Ysariel on Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:08 pm, edited 15 times in total.
Ysariel
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Ysariel » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:44 am

This character was formerly submitted as Starbolt. I've changed the name and modified the backstory a little.

Aeon (PL 13 [on Earth]/14 [in space]; 150PP)
Concept: Cosmic energy controller / psychic
Tradeoffs: Attack -2 / Save DC +2; Defense -2 / Toughness +2

On July 16, 1945, the first nuclear weapon was detonated. In 1951, gamma rays from the explosion reached deep-space sensors of alien origin. In 1952, Aeon arrived in Earth orbit to investigate the use of illegal nuclear weapons and haul their makers before the Galactic Tribunal for sentencing. In the middle of wiping out the U.S. nuclear arsenal, she paused when she realized her opponent - (other player character) - was taking every care to avoid the military personnel around them getting hurt, a far cry from the genocidal civilizations normally employing such weapons. They eventually won her over and together, argued their case so well before the Tribunal that it gave her a new mission: to watch over Earth's people, and ensure that their potential never led to self-destruction. In the six decades since, Aeon fell in love with the world she was sent to guard and adopted it as her new home. By resolution of the UN Security Council, she is Earth's representative before the Galactic Tribunal.

Aeon comes from an alien world where, due to convergent evolution, the dominant species are nearly identical to Homo Sapiens. Once a technologically advanced, isolationist people, their homeworld was reduced to space dust in the fires of the Galactic War. The few survivors adapted themselves to the cold darkness of outer space with posthuman science, engineering their bodies to survive off primordal cosmic power, and forever dedicated themselves to the cause of peace and justice. Today Aeon's kin are a a race of wandering knights-errants, some of whom have, like herself, settled on new worlds. But she will forever remember the day she lost her home - and pay any cost to prevent it happening to anyone else.

Aeon's hypertech-enhanced body is a living cosmic engine, able survive the rigors of space unprotected and thrive off the primordal energy left over from the Big Bang known as the Starforce. Using this energy, she can project high-powered blasts and force fields, manipulate matter and energy, and heal or disrupt both living things and machines. Quantum tunneling allows her to communicate her thoughts instantly via 'telepathy' and project action at a distance using fine control of the electroweak interaction.

Description: Aeon appears as a lithe, 5'2 tall, pale-skinned woman in her early twenties, with long, straight silver hair that reaches to mid-back. Her costume is a silver leotard with sky blue and gold highlights; emblazoned across the chest is a gold four-pointed star with the bottom point longer than the other three. Matching long gloves and thigh-high socks cover her arms and legs, and her feet are clad in white boots with a two-inch heel. Her cape is clasped at the throat and attaches to both wrists, flaring behind her like outstretched wings when she flies. Wrapped about her midriff and knotted at one hip is a white sash, which hides her utility belt beneath.

Rogue's Gallery: Emperor Sinthian, Sovereign of the Stars and Terror of the Gods, came within a hair of seizing control of the galaxy before his defeatthe Galactic War. Now reduced to a fugitive with most of his vast fleet in ruins, Sinthian spends day and night plotting his ascension, enormously bitter at having come so close and yet so far. Only fear of the authorities keeps him from showing his hand too openly, forcing him to act through minions such as his Biomatons (metahuman clone troops), Unsullied (androids whose bodies house the downloaded minds of the galaxy's finest warriors) and Perfect Minds (AI mages optimized for spellcasting). Earth, as a remote, backwater planet with an unusually high super-powered population and no unified government, has drawn his attention as the first step on the road to his comeback. An gifted leader, genius tactician and peerless warrior undone only by his belief in his infallibility, Sinthian inhabits a monstrous, genengineered body grafted with the best weapons his imagination can dream up.

Other alien foes with which Aeon regularly crosses swords include Syndicate, a high-tech crime lord whose charming, roguish demeanor hides a criminal empire peddling black market hypertech weapons and exotic nanite drugs; Victor, a power-armored interstellar mercenary who finds conflict-ridden Earth great for business; and <Untranslatable>, an immeasurably ancient, sky-scraper-sized monstrosity born when the world was young and has returned to claim its nest from humanity.

Abilities (52pp): Strength 2, Stamina 3, Agility 5, Dexterity 3, Fighting 0, Intellect 4, Awareness 4, Presence 5

Powers (168pp):

"Starforce" ARRAY 61pp + 5pp
BASE "Cosmic Blast" Blast 15 (Extended Range 5, Multiattack +1, Penetrating 10, Precise)
-- AE "Shooting Stars" Blast 15 (Area [Burst] +1, Selective Attack +1)
-- AE "Mass Telekinesis" Move Object 12 (Area [Burst] +1, Perception +1, Precise, Selective Attack +1)
-- AE "Restore Vitality" Healing 15 (Ranged +1, Restorative +1)
-- AE "Transmutation" Transform 10 [Mass: 800 lbs; anything to anything, 5/r pp] (Continuous +1)
-- AE "Force Construct" Create 15 (Continuous +1, Movable +1, Stationary +0)

"Starborn"
Communication 2 [1mi] (Area +1) 10pp
Immunity 12 [aging, life support, need for sleep] 12pp
Senses 6 Communication Link 2 [mental] (other two members of Trinity); Detect Energy (Acute, Ranged) 6pp

"Corona" Force Field 12 linked to Impervious Toughness 15 27pp
"Aurora" Flight 20 [Speed: 2,000,000 mph] linked to Movement 4 (Environmental Adaptation: Zero-G, Space Travel 3 [intergalactic]) 44pp

"Universal Translator" Comprehend 2 [speak all, understand all] (Removable -1pp) 3pp

Advantages (21pp): Accurate Attack, Agile Feint, Benefit 1 [Galactic Tribunal representative for Earth], Evasion 2, Favored Environment: Space 2, Improved Initiative 2, Move-By Action, Language 2 [English, Galactic Standard, Base: Interface], Power Attack, Ranged Attack 8

Skills (21pp / 63r): Acrobatics 10 (+15), Athletics 8 (+10), Expertise: Galactic Affairs 6 (+10), Expertise: Science 4 (+8), Insight 7 (+11), Investigation 4 (+8), Perception 10 (+14), Persuasion 8 (+13), Technology 6 (+10)

Offense: Initiative +13
  • +11 Cosmic Blast (Ranged, Damage, DC 30 Toughness)
  • -- Shooting Stars, (Ranged Area [Burst], Damage, DC 30 Toughness)
  • -- Mass Telekinesis, (Ranged Area [Burst], Grab, DC 25)
Defense (37pp):
Defense: Dodge 6 (+11/16*), Parry 11 (+11), Toughness +3/15 (Impervious 15)**, Fortitude 10 (+13), Will 11 (+15)
* vs Area only; ** With Force Field

Abilities 52 + Powers 176 + Advantages 21 + Skills 21 + Defenses 37 = 298
Ysariel
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Ysariel » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:01 am

Hellgirl (PL 10; 145PP)
Concept: Hellfire controller

Abilities (62pp): Strength 5, Stamina 5, Agility 4, Dexterity 0, Fighting 4, Intellect 5, Awareness 5, Presence 3

Powers (40pp):
"Infernal Power" ARRAY 24pp + 2pp
BASE "Hellfire Leash" Damage 4 (Accurate 3, Concentration +1) linked to Affiction 10 [Fort vs Hindered+Vulnerable/Immobile+Defenseless/--] (Accurate 3, Concentration +1, Cumulative +1, Instant Recovery -1, Limited Degree -1)
-- AE "Corrosive Whip" Damage 6 (Area: Shapeable +1) linked to Weaken Toughness 6 (Area: Shapeable +1)
-- AE "Abyssal Flame" Damage 6 (Perception +2, Secondary Effect +1)

"Unholy Form"
Strike 3 [claws; STR-based] 3pp
Flight 3 (Wings -1) 3pp
Protection 5 [demonic hide] (Quirk: not vs holy -1pp) 4pp
Additional Limbs 1 [tail] 1pp
Immunity 3 [aging, uncommon descriptor: unholy] 3pp

Advantages (5pp): Attractive 2, Jack-of-all-trades, Languages [English; base: Infernal], Ritualist

Skills (16pp / 32r): Deception 9 (+12), Close Combat: Claws 8 (+12), Expertise: Magic 7 (+12), Insight 4 (+9), Perception 4 (+9)

Offense: Initiative +4
  • +12 Claws (Close, Damage, DC 23 Toughness)
  • +10 Hellfire Leash (Close, Affliction, DC 25 Fort vs Hindered+Vulnerable/Immobile+Defenseless; Concentration, Cumulative, Instant Recovery) linked to (Close, Damage, DC 19 Toughness)
  • -- Corrosive Whip (Close Area: Shapeable, Damage, DC 21 Toughness) linked to (Close Area: Shapeable, Weaken Toughness, DC 21 Fort)
  • -- Unholy Flame (Perception, Damage, DC 21 Toughness; Secondary Effect)
Defense (22pp): Dodge 6 (+10), Parry 6 (+10), Toughness +10, Fort 3 (+8), Will 7 (+12)

Abilities 62 + Powers 40 + Advantages 5 + Skills 16 + Defense 22 = 145

:arrow: Hellgirl's an energy controller who does most of her fighting in melee. This build is intended to represent an actual fallen angel who has, for whatever reason, come over to the side of the angels, although other origins are possible.

:arrow: Affliction: Hellgirl snares someone with her hellfire whip, preventing them from moving. Taking a standard action to concentrate each round, the victim additionally burns with Damage 4 while they're in its grip, however if they successfully resist, the affliction ends at once.

:arrow: Damage linked to Weaken toughness: This is an area shapeable attack used to represent a whip. Weaken toughness represents that the hellfire is actually corrosive to living flesh, although it has no effect on inorganic matter.

:arrow: Perception damage: This represents a 'snap your fingers and make the enemy spontaneously combust' attack. The victim continues to burn for 1 round after the attack.

:arrow: Hellgirl's Ritualist and Expertise: Magic represent the forbidden, arcane knowledge that demons have. She has Jack of all trades to represent how she's learnt all sorts of things in her immortal life.

• 10 Oct 2012 Corrected the math and fixed a lot of references to 'unarmed attacks' when I really meant claw attacks.
  • 11 Oct 2012 Reduced Hellfire Whip and Abyssal Flame by 1 rank each. Increased Dex by 1, Insight by 2 and added Immunity: aging.
  • 8 Nov 2012 Rebuilt the Affliction as a Concentration duration power with linked damage. Reduced Strength/Stamina by 5 each and increased defenses and Close Combat skill to remain at caps. Reduced Dexterity by 1 and Presence by 2. Added immunity to unholy, Languages: Infernal, and raised Insight/Perception to +9.
Last edited by Ysariel on Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:42 am, edited 4 times in total.
Ysariel
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Ysariel » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:13 am

Turbo Girl (PL 10; 145PP)
Concept: Nuclear-powered speedster

Abilities (52pp): Strength 3 (7), Stamina 3 (7), Agility 5, Dexterity 0, Fighting 8, Intellect 0, Awareness 4, Presence 3

Powers (61pp):

"Atomic Assault" ARRAY 13pp + 1pp
BASE "Megaton Punch" Strike 3 [STR-based] linked to Affliction 10 [Fort vs Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated]
-- AE "Ground Zero" Strike 3 [STR-based] (Area: Burst 10, Quirk: Must move Distance Rank 2 [120ft] into Close range of victim first)

"Nuclear Powered" ARRAY 23pp + 1pp
BASE Speed 10, Quickness 10, Movement 3 (Wall-Crawling 2, Water-Walking) (Limited [while moving] -1)
-- AE Leaping 10, Power-Lifting 10, Enhanced Advantage 3 [Throwing Mastery 3]

"Plasma Shield" Enhanced Parry 2, Enhanced Dodge 2 (Quirk: lost when vulnerable/defenseless -1pp) 3pp
"Turbocharged" Enhanced Strength 4, Enhanced Stamina 4, Enhanced Advantage 4 [Improved Initiative 4] 20pp

Advantages (5pp): Defensive Roll 3, Move-By Action, Power Attack

Skills (15pp / 30r): Acrobatics 5 (+10), Athletics 3 (+10), Close Combat: Atomic Melee 2 (+10), Insight 3 (+7), Perception 4 (+8), Persuasion 5 (+8), Ranged Combat: Throwing 8 (+8)

Offense: Initiative +21
  • +10 Megaton Punch (Close, Damage, DC 25 Toughness) linked to (Close, Affliction, DC 20 Fort vs Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated)
  • +10 Ground Zero (Close Area: Burst, Damage, DC 25 Toughness)
  • +8 Thrown object (Ranged, Damage, DC 25 Toughness)
Defense (12pp): Dodge 3 (+10), Parry 0 (+10), Toughness +10, Fort 3 (+10), Will 6 (+10)

Abilities 52 + Powers 61 + Advantages 5 + Skills 15 + Defense 12 = 145

:arrow: Turbo Girl is a powerhouse/speedster, able to be both strong and fast - just not at the same time. Weakness is definitely sneak attacks and anything that inflicts Vulnerable on her.

:arrow: Strike linked to Affliction: Turbo Girl doesn't have a lot of the typical powerhouse super strength feats. Instead, she just punches someone so hard, they're stunned from the impact.

:arrow: Area Strike: Turbo Girl braces her shield and charges at an enemy; the shockwave of the collision damages all who are in the area.

:arrow: Enhanced parry, dodge: The Quirk represents not being able to bring her shield to bear if vulnerable, defenseless or caught by surprise.

• 8 Nov 2012 Reduced number of AEs in the attack array and added lots of powerhouse stuff. The character now derives more of her damage from enhanced strength (instead of strike) and uses Throwing as a ranged option instead.
Last edited by Ysariel on Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:50 am, edited 4 times in total.
Ysariel
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Ysariel » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:03 pm

Skylark (PL 10; 152PP)
Concept: Bird-themed costumed adventurer
Tradeoffs: Attack +2 / Save DC -2

Abilities (38pp): Str +3 (16), Dex +5 (20), Con +3 (16), Int +4 (18), Wis +2 (14), Cha +2 (14)

Skills (22pp / 88r): Acrobatics 8 (+13), Climb 2 (+5), Computers 4 (+8), Craft: Electronic 6 (+10), Craft: Mechanical 6 (+10), Diplomacy 7 (+9), Disable Device 6 (+10), Gather Information 6 (+8), Investigate 4 (+8), Knowledge: Arts 1 (+5), Knowledge: Technology 6 (+10), Notice 7 (+9), Perform: Singing 11 (+13), Sense Motive 5 (+7), Search 4 (+8), Stealth 5 (+10)

Feats (27pp): Attack Focus: Melee 4, Attack Specialization: Throwing weapons 2, Benefit: Legacy*, Contacts [costumed vigilantes], Defensive Roll 3, Dodge Focus 3, Equipment 7, Evasion 1, Improved Initiative 1, Inventor, Lionheart, Move-by Action, Quick Draw
* As Benefit: Security Clearance, but accesses the Falcon's resources instead of government ones

Offense (16pp): Base Attack +8, Initiative +9
  • +12 Sword (Touch, Damage, DC 23 Toughness)
  • +12 Feather Blades (Ranged, Damage, DC 22 Toughness)
  • +12 Unarmed (Touch, Damage, DC 20 Toughness)
Defense (30pp): Base Defense +7
Defense +10 (Flat-Footed+4), Toughness +10 (Flat-Footed +8), Fort 4 (+7), Ref 7 (+12), Will 5 (+7/11**)
** only vs Fear

Powers (19pp):
"Skylark's Song" - training
Enhanced Ability 2 [STR] (Limited [only damage] -1) 2pp
Enhanced Feat 5 [Acrobatic Bluff, Defensive Attack, Improved Disarm, Power Attack, Takedown Attack 1] 5pp

"Wings of Steel" - costume DEVICE 3 [15pp of effects; hard to lose 4pp/r] 12pp
Flight 3 [Speed: 50 mph]
Protection 4 linked to Impervious Toughness 4 (Limited [only vs physical] -1)
Super-Senses 3 Vision (Darkvision, Extended 1)

"Sword" Strike 3 (Improved Critical 1 [19-20], Mighty, Subtle) 6ep
"Feather Blades" Blast 2 (Mighty) 3ep
Rope, Smartphone [camera + cell phone + computer] 4ep

"The Aerie (Level 1)" Headquarters [Size: Medium, Toughness: 10, communications, computer, defense system, fire prevention system, hangar, infirmary, living space, workshop] 5ep + 5ep from Gun Girl
"Raptor VTOL" Vehicle [Size Huge; Strength 30; Movement Flight 5 (Subtle 1); Def 6, Toughness 9; Features: Afterburner [+1 Flight, loses Subtle 1], Communications, Navigation System, Remote Control, Security System 2 [DC 25]; Powers: Concealment [visual, radar] (Passive -1)] 17ep + 5ep from Nighthawk

Abilities 38 + Skills 22 + Feats 27 + Offense 16 + Defense 30 + Powers 19 = 152

Here's Skylark after the first adventure. I've thought a lot about the way I portrayed her and decided that she's going to have two shticks: 1) lots of nice toys and 2) she can fly. She picks up some tech skills and inventor, an improved version of her costume that allows her to truly fly, her VTOL jet and a very bare-bones HQ (Sky doesn't have the access codes for the Aerie, so she'll gradually hack through more of the security and unlock more features of her HQ. The size of the HQ represents the size of the space she has unlocked, not the entire base). She also gets a benefit representing how she has access to some of the Falcon's resources and friends and improved exotic saves.

In exchange, she lot a lot of her specialist combat feats: elusive target, takedown 2, improved block/critical/trip, accurate attack. Overall she should be less of a weapon master and more of a kid who's still really well trained, but doesn't have a lot of advanced tricks.

I made a few mechanical changes. 1) Her sword and throwing blades are both now equipment. 2) instead of the Sword Mastery feat (+2 to sword damage), she now has enhanced strength, limited to damage, to represent her weapons training. 3) Finally, the feats that were formerly in her fighting style are now Enhanced feats. Mainly, I've found that I don't like characters who can't stunt something every now and then. This is so that I can extra effort a feat or enhanced extra occasionally. :)

Skylark's skills here have mostly been standardized to represent her relative levels of ability:

+13: Acrobatics, singing
+10: tech skills (except computers), stealth
+8: detective skills, computers
Last edited by Ysariel on Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ysariel
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Shock » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:07 pm

I like Warp. She's a neat character.
Shock
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Next

Return to Roll Call