Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

Sev's Arena: Valor City (Legend)

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.

Re: Sev's Arena: Its A Gundam! (Zaku II, GM)

Postby HustlerOne » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:40 am

Your gundam builds are turning out well Sev. I always wanted to do Char the Red Comet himself but never got around to it. Now I gotta compare my old 2E Gundam Mech builds to yours. I guess I have no need to convert them from 2E now with your great 3E builds.
HustlerOne
Zealot
Zealot

Re: Sev's Arena: Its A Gundam! (Zaku II, GM)

Postby Severance » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:10 pm

HustlerOne wrote:Your gundam builds are turning out well Sev. I always wanted to do Char the Red Comet himself but never got around to it. Now I gotta compare my old 2E Gundam Mech builds to yours. I guess I have no need to convert them from 2E now with your great 3E builds.

Thanks for the praise Hustler, though I'm still feeling iffy on how to build the important NPCs. Right now, I've got Char pretty much complete, save for building one more of his mobile suits to show off different suits he has as potential options. Char has an "extensive wardrobe" so to speak, and I'm trying to make each one of his suits seem fairly different.
Severance
Zealot
Zealot

Re: Sev's Arena: The Red Comet

Postby Severance » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:59 pm

"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!"

Char Aznabel - PL 12

Strength 13/1, Stamina 14/2, Agility 3, Dexterity 2, Fighting 5, Intellect 2, Awareness 1, Presence 2

Advantages
Accurate Attack, Agile Feint, Attractive, Benefit: Lt. Cmdr. rank in Zeon military, Evasion, Improved Initiative, Leadership, Luck, Move-by Action, Quick Draw, Skill Mastery: Expertise (Mobile Suit Piloting), Uncanny Dodge

Skills
Acrobatics 2 (+5), Athletics 2 (+15), Close Combat: Mobile Suit Weaponry 2 (+7), Deception 2 (+4), Expertise: Mobile Suit Piloting 10 (+12), Expertise: Tactics 8 (+10), Insight 4 (+5), Intimidation 2 (+10), Perception 8 (+9), Persuasion 3 (+5), Ranged Combat: Mobile Suit Weaponry 7 (+9), Stealth 2 (-7), Technology 4 (+6), Vehicles 4 (+6)

Powers
Citizen of Space: Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation: Zero-G)
Mobile Suit Ace: Enhanced Trait 18 (Traits: Dodge +9 (+8), Parry +9 (+8); Limited: Only while in mobile suit)
Newtype Powers: Senses 2 (Awareness: Newtype, Danger Sense: Mental, Advantages: Uncanny Dodge)
The Red Comet: Luck Control 1(skill, Force a Re-roll)

Zaku II Commander Type (Removable)
. . Activate Systems (Alternate Form, Activation: Standard Action)
. . . . 120mm Machine Gun With Optical Targeting: Blast 9 (ballistic, DC 24; Accurate: +2, Multiattack)
. . . . . . Heat Hawk: Strength-based Damage 1 (Alternate; slashing, DC 29, Advantages: Improved Critical 2)
. . . . Giant Mecha: Growth 12 (+12 STR, +12 STA, +6 Intimidate, -12 Stealth, -6 active defenses, +3 size categories, +1 speed ranks; Innate; Permanent)
. . . . High Strength Steel Alloy: Impervious Toughness 10
. . . . Laser Comm System: Auditory Communication 2 (Limited: Line of Sight, Subtle)
. . . . Leg Actuators: Speed 5 (Speed: 60 miles/hour, 900 feet/round)
. . . . Minovsky Interference: Concealment 1 (Other Sense: Radar; Permanent)
. . . . Rocket Thrusters: Flight 7 (Speed: 250 miles/hour, 0.5 miles/round; Limited: Only in space)
. . . . . . Boosted Jumps: Leaping 7 (Alternate; Leap 900 feet at 250 miles/hour)
. . . . Sealed System: Immunity 9 (Disease, Environmental Conditions (All), Poison, Suffocation (All))
. . . . Sensors: Senses 3 (Extended: Sight 2: x100, Infravision)

Offense
Initiative +7
120mm Machine Gun With Optical Targeting: Blast 9, +11 (DC 24)
Grab, +5 (DC Spec 23)
Heat Hawk: Strength-based Damage 1, +7 (DC 29)
Throw, +2 (DC 28)
Unarmed, +5 (DC 28)

Defense
Dodge 8/-1, Parry 8/-1, Fortitude 14, Toughness 14, Will 7

Complications:
Enemy: Char has various enemies throughout his life, but during the One Year War his number one is the Federation.
Motivation (Patriotism): Char fights for Zeon and the right to rule space.
Quirk: Almost every mobile suit Char pilots (with the exception of two) have been painted red. Its kinda his thing.
Relationship: Char has various connections throughout the war, including Sayla Mass and Lalah Sune.
Responsibility: Soldier of the Principality of Zeon
Rivalry: Amuro Ray
Secret: Char is actually Casval Rem Deikun, rightful ruler of Zeon

Power Points
Abilities 36 + Powers 95 + Advantages 11 + Skills 29 (58 ranks) + Defenses 8 = 180

My goodness, I thought I'd never get him up on the thread, but here he is. Char Aznable, the Red Comet himself is a beast compared to the standard mobile suit infantry. Not only does he have two whole PL over the competition, but he's got Newtype senses, an extra rank of Luck, a slew of Complications (meaning he'll never be without a hero point) and Luck Control just to represent how legendary he is. After all he had to take down five battlecrusiers single-handed to earn it, so I don't think its out of the question. This is Char at the beginning of the One Year War, and honestly I was going to give him other mobile suits (custom red of course) as options but I was just so excited to get him posted that I couldn't wait. I'll probably have him as at least one or two more separate builds (for his Quattro/Char's Counterattack phases), but right now this should be a decent representation of Zeon's first son.

EDIT: Forgot to give Mr. Zeon himself the Attractive advantage, which I usually don't throw onto a lot of folks, but hey I was reminded that he was the prettiest man in Gundam until Wing.
EDIT: Taking some advice added two ranks of Deception. Now Char is an even 180pp, despite being undercapped for PL 12.
Last edited by Severance on Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:40 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Severance
Zealot
Zealot

Re: Sev's Arena: Its A Gundam! (Zaku II, GM, Char Aznable)

Postby Batgirl III » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:27 pm

The lack of Attractive seems strange, to me anyway, Char was renowned as one of the prettiest men in the Gundam franchise until those lads from Gundam Wing showed up. But other than that, looks great...

Zeig Zeon!
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Batgirl III
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Severance » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:33 pm

Batgirl III wrote:The lack of Attractive seems strange, to me anyway, Char was renowned as one of the prettiest men in the Gundam franchise until those lads from Gundam Wing showed up. But other than that, looks great...

Zeig Zeon!

omg, you're totally right! I forgot that in all my haste that he was suppose to be very handsome. Editing begins now!
Severance
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Batgirl III » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:23 pm

Sticking two Power Points onto his build would make him an even 180PP... so, if you pushed him to PL12, he's be an under-capped but legal PC. With the PL bump, he could easily swap out for different weapon load-outs on his various mecha.

Attractive (1) makes sense, he's a stunningly handsome man but doesn't often make use of it (but he does lay on the charm when he needs to). Add Deception 2, mostly so he can bluff in diplomatic settings, and I think he'd be about perfect.
Batgirl III
Luminary
Luminary

Re: Sev's Arena: Char Custom Suits

Postby Severance » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:57 pm

Alright, I had originally written up Char's different suits used during the One Year War to go with the initial build but I jumped the gun. Here's the rest of Char's options for sortie.

Z'Gok Commander Type [27 points total]
Add Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation [underwater])
Add Swimming 6 as an Alternate of Rocket Thrusters
Replace the weapon systems with this:
- Mega-Particle Cannon: Line Area Damage 11
AE: 240mm Missile Launcher: Blast 11, Burst Area (8 ranks only); Unreliable (5 uses)
AE: Claws: Strength-Based Damage 1, Improved Critical

Gelgoog Commander Type
[31 points total]
Drop weapon system and add these:
- Beam Rifle: Blast 12
AE: Beam Naginata: Damage 15, Improved Critical 2
AE: Giant Shield: Deflect 10, Reduced Range (close)
- Quicker Reaction Speed: Enhanced Trait 5 (Dodge +2, Parry +2, Close Combat: Mobile Suit Weaponry +2)
Severance
Zealot
Zealot

Re: Sev's Arena: Its A Gundam! (GM, Char Aznable, Char Customs)

Postby HustlerOne » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:52 am

It's Char the Red Comet! He is truly an iconic archetype of his own. 8) I personally think his presence should
have been a bit higher. That and a rank or two in inspire. He was a charismatic orator and highly feared in the Gundam universe. He rightfully deserves to be at high PL: 12.

Although I might be thinking more about his future version by the time of Char's counterattack. The one where he gave that big speech about humanity. On the bright side you handled his newtype powers very well. I loved that you were able to do the Gelgoog since it was supposedly the Zeon answer to the Gundam. All in all Sev a great build with pretty much the way I pictured Char.
HustlerOne
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Severance » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:45 pm

Thanks for the comments! Yeah, initially I had thought about giving Char at least a Presence 3, but I figured that at the time he was a soldier of Zeon he wasn't that high (he still has fairly high skills for Persuasion and stuff. I mean combined with Attractive, its no wonder Lalah Sune fell for his ideas). I felt that the inspiring Char was the one from Char's Counterattack, where he'd have a couple ranks in Inspire higher Presence (perhaps around 4), a couple more ranks in Persuasion and higher Tactics.
Severance
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Batgirl III » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:57 pm

During the period covered by Mobile Suit Gundam, Char is deeply into his icy, chessmaster phase. He's keeping some deep secrets from the Zabis and hasn't really yet dealt with his bagage... even much later in the Gundam timeline, after he's gone public with his identity and forged himself into a leader of men, he never really develops much inthe way of empathy.

Even in his most sympathetic moments, when he's passed from villain to anti-villain to anti-hero, Char still comes off as kind of an ice cold jerk. So, I'd probably give "Zeta" Char high persuasion and a decent deception, but his raw Presence is always kinda low...

Gihren Zabi on the other hand dials the charisma up to 11... but considering he gets explicitly compared to Adolf Hitler by his father and both men see this as a positive trait. Well, the Zabis are hella screwed up... but they're the bad guys so it's okay. :wink:
Batgirl III
Luminary
Luminary

Re: Sev's Arena: Amuro Ray

Postby Severance » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:36 am

"Amuro, ready to engage!"

Amuro Ray - PL 12

Strength 12/0, Stamina 12/0, Agility 1, Dexterity 2, Fighting 3, Intellect 3, Awareness 1, Presence 1

Advantages
Beginner's Luck, Improved Initiative, Takedown

Skills
Close Combat: Mobile Suit Weaponry 6 (+9), Expertise: Mobile Suit Piloting 7 (+10), Expertise: Tactics 2 (+5), Insight 4 (+5), Perception 8 (+9), Persuasion 2 (+3), Ranged Combat: Mobile Suit Weaponry 8 (+10), Technology 7 (+10), Vehicles 2 (+4)

Powers
Mobile Suit Ace: Enhanced Trait 22 (Traits: Dodge +11 (+10), Parry +11 (+10); Limited: Only while in mobile suit)
Newtype Powers: Senses 2 (Awareness: Newtype, Danger Sense: Mental, Advantages: Uncanny Dodge)

RX-78-2 Gundam (Removable)
. . Activate Systems (Activation: Standard Action)
. . . . Core Block System: Feature 1
. . . . Giant Mecha: Growth 12 (+12 STR, +12 STA, +6 Intimidate, -12 Stealth, -6 active defenses, +3 size categories, +1 speed ranks; Innate; Permanent)
. . . . Head Mounted Vulcan Guns: Blast 7 (ballistic, DC 22; Multiattack)
. . . . Hyper Bazooka: Burst Area Blast 11 (explosive, DC 26; Burst Area: 30 feet radius sphere [8 ranks only])
. . . . . . Beam Saber: Damage 15 (Alternate; laser, slashing, DC 30, Advantages: Improved Critical 2)
. . . . . . Experimental Beam Rifle: Blast 12 (Alternate; laser, DC 27)
. . . . . . Giant Shield: Deflect 10 (Alternate; Reduced Range: close)
. . . . . . Hyper Hammer: Strength-based Damage 3 (Alternate; bludgeoning, DC 30; Reach (melee) 3: 15 ft.)
. . . . Laser Comm System: Auditory Communication 2 (Limited: Line of Sight, Subtle)
. . . . Learning Computer: Enhanced Trait 5 (Traits: Dodge +2 (+10), Parry +2 (+10), Advantages: Assessment)
. . . . Leg Actuators: Speed 5 (Speed: 60 miles/hour, 900 feet/round)
. . . . Lunar Titanium: Protection 2 (+2 Toughness; Impervious [12 extra ranks])
. . . . Re-entry Coolant System: Feature 1
. . . . Rocket Thrusters: Flight 7 (Speed: 250 miles/hour, 0.5 miles/round; Limited: Only in space)
. . . . . . Boosted Jumps: Leaping 7 (Alternate; Leap 900 feet at 250 miles/hour)
. . . . Sealed System: Immunity 9 (Disease, Environmental Conditions (All), Poison, Suffocation (All))
. . . . Sensors: Senses 3 (Extended: Sight 2: x100, Infravision)
. . . . Zero-G Thrusters: Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation: Zero-G)

Offense
Initiative +5
Beam Saber: Damage 15, +9 (DC 30)
Experimental Beam Rifle: Blast 12, +10 (DC 27)
Grab, +3 (DC Spec 22)
Head Mounted Vulcan Guns: Blast 7, +10 (DC 22)
Hyper Bazooka: Burst Area Blast 11 (DC 26)
Hyper Hammer: Strength-based Damage 3, +9 (DC 30)
Throw, +2 (DC 27)
Unarmed, +3 (DC 27)

Defense
Dodge 10/-3, Parry 10/-3, Fortitude 12, Toughness 14, Will 7

Complications:
Enemy: The Principality of Zeon
Quirk: Amuro can occasionally get caught up in his interest in machines. This can cause him to lose track of time and even forget such things as food or sleep. After becoming part of the White Base crew, this wanes some, though mostly because he's working on the Gundam quite a bit.
Relationship: The entire White Base crew is like Amuro's surrogate family
Responsibility: Amuro must protect the White Base at all costs and stop the Zeon's war.
Rivalry: Char Aznable

Power Points
Abilities 22 + Powers 124 + Advantages 3 + Skills 23 (46 ranks) + Defenses 8 = 180

What would a series be without statting out its main protagonist? Amuro Ray is the basic prototype for all Gundam main characters that come before him, literally falling into the Gundam and becoming an unwilling participant in a war that he never wanted. He soon finds reason to fight to protect the ones he cares for, but really he's just an unfortunate case of being drafted into the Federation's side. On top of it all his burgeoning Newtype abilities are causing him to slowly further himself from humanity as he strives to save it. But that is a story for another time, as right now Amuro is simply fighting to stay alive.

Amuro is probably the only other PL 12 I'd have from the first Mobile Suit Gundam. In comparison to Char, he's more accurate, but not as skilled at war. He's a gifted young man, very focused into technology (which will only increase as the series go on), but not very deft in social situations (thus the lower Presence and people skills).

For a good deal of the show, its the Gundam itself which gives Amuro the capability to last (Char once mentions how he gave a beating to the Gundam that would have destroyed any other mobile suit), equipped with an advanced learning computer which gathers combat data to increase the performance of the machine along with state of the art weaponry. The Gundam also has two systems which make it different than other mobiles suits at the time. One is the capability to re-enter the atmosphere unaided. The second is the Core Block System, which lets the Gundam's main section separate in order for the pilot to escape while saving the main computer of the unit, which can then be attached to another unit. I represented this with a simple Feature that basically acts like the Metamorph feat from the Morph power. I would basically use the fighter jet from the core book with only the machine guns equipped to represent the Core Fighter itself.
Last edited by Severance on Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Severance
Zealot
Zealot

Re: Sev's Arena: Gouf

Postby Severance » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:10 pm

MS-07 Gouf (Removable)
. . Activate Systems (Activation: Standard Action)
. . . . 75mm Gun Hand: Blast 7 (ballistic, DC 22; Multiattack)
. . . . . . Electric Shock: Affliction 12 (Alternate; 1st degree: Dazed, 2nd degree: Stunned, 3rd degree: Incapacitated, Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 22; Reach (melee) 3: 15 ft.)
. . . . . . Heat Rod: Strength-based Damage 2 (Alternate; slashing, DC 29, Advantages: Improved Critical 2; Reach (melee) 3: 15 ft.)
. . . . . . Heat Sword: Strength-based Damage 3 (Alternate; slashing, DC 30, Advantages: Improved Critical 3)
. . . . Giant Mecha: Growth 12 (+12 STR, +12 STA, +6 Intimidate, -12 Stealth, -6 active defenses, +3 size categories, +1 speed ranks; Innate; Permanent, Quirk: Replaces Strength and Stamina)
. . . . High Strength Steel: Impervious Toughness 10
. . . . Laser Comm: Auditory Communication 2 (Limited: Line of Sight, Subtle)
. . . . Leg Accuators: Speed 4 (Speed: 30 miles/hour, 500 feet/round)
. . . . Sealed Systems: Immunity 9 (Disease, Enviromental Conditions (All), Poison, Suffocation (All))
. . . . Sensors: Senses 2 (Extended: Sight 1: x10, Infravision)

Figured that I'd throw out another Gundam build, this time the Gouf land type mobile suit. It seems to be easier to just build the suits separate from the actual pilots (at least for me). Seeing as how it was designed for Earth-based combat, the Gouf doesn't come with the Flight systems equipped on the others, though it is extremely deadly in its intended use of close combat. Its really just a modified Zaku all things considered. Its most famous pilot was Ramba Ral ("This is no Zaku boy! No Zaku!")

Also with this build I've figured out that I like the new quirk I added for Growth on mobile suits. Instead of adding onto the Strength and Stamina directly, the Growth replaces the pilot's stats. Feels more like the Mecha and Manga book that way (as I liked its mech building rules).
Last edited by Severance on Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Severance
Zealot
Zealot

Re: Sev's Arena: Its A Gundam! (Amuro Ray, Gouf)

Postby Batgirl III » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:10 am

I'm loving the Gundam builds, but if I may suggest a tweak, I think the Laser Communications system(s) you built are too good. In the series these laser signals are limited to relatively short ranges and require line-of-sight; On the other hand, these messages are very difficult for enemies to intercept. I'd tack on the Limited [Line of Sight] flaw and Subtle (1) extra.

Most mobile suits (and presumably mobile armors and other military vehicles) also have a "contact link," as an alternative means of short-range voice communication. When two mobile suits come into direct physical contact with each other sound can be transmitted between them via vibrations in their outer armor. Unlike radio communications or lasers conversations transmitted in this way are almost impossible to intercept. (Radio is also blocked by Minovsky particles and lasers can be futz with by smoke.)
Batgirl III
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Woodclaw » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:00 am

Batgirl III wrote:I'm loving the Gundam builds, but if I may suggest a tweak, I think the Laser Communications system(s) you built are too good. In the series these laser signals are limited to relatively short ranges and require line-of-sight; On the other hand, these messages are very difficult for enemies to intercept. I'd tack on the Limited [Line of Sight] flaw and Subtle (1) extra.

Most mobile suits (and presumably mobile armors and other military vehicles) also have a "contact link," as an alternative means of short-range voice communication. When two mobile suits come into direct physical contact with each other sound can be transmitted between them via vibrations in their outer armor. Unlike radio communications or lasers conversations transmitted in this way are almost impossible to intercept. (Radio is also blocked by Minovsky particles and lasers can be futz with by smoke.)

Anoother funny little bit of trivia from "8th MS Team" (possibly the best spin-off of the original Gundam). To prevent the jamming effect caused by Minovsky particles, many ground based unit have switched back to comlines for static communication between vehicles and sonars for detection. During te series each MS Team had a dedicated support vehicle equipped with a ground-based sonar to detect incoming enemy units.
"Yes, it's a bloody flying alligator setting fire to my city!"

Sam Vimes (Guards! Guards!)

From a dark corner of my mind (my build's thread)
From another dark corner of my mind (my Deviantart page)
Woodclaw
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Severance » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:35 pm

These are all good suggestions. I actually didn't know the part about ground based sonar, as I haven't watched 08th MS yet (trying to watch the original Mobile Suit Gundam first). I actually knew about the contact communication via vibration, but I figured that could be handwaved as a description for general talking during close range for the players, or I could tack it on as a Feature. I've only really seen it done a couple times actually.

However, I will throw the Limited and Subtle onto the Laser Comm power, as it is a little too good left how it is.
Severance
Zealot
Zealot

PreviousNext

Return to Roll Call