[Writeups.org] [3E] Pit Bulls, American Ninja, Silver Sable

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.
pawsplay
Zealot
Zealot

Re: [Writeups.org] [3E] Quagmire, Skrullian Skymaster, Slyfo

Postby pawsplay » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:52 pm

Ghostwise wrote:
IIRC the idea was to seriously Impervious her - if your Damage Rank isn't high enough you're never going to hurt her even by finessing around - there are no weak spots to hit (the assumption being that if there were a weakness, the Widow would have used it).

However, critical hits are more than just "weak points." They are also "rolling doubles," i.e. they could also represent momentum, doing structural damage to fairly homogenous things, etc.

But right now I can't check whether Criticals and Power Attacks are meant to raise the "base" Rank of Damage when facing an Impervious Defence.

Impervious specifically compares to save DC modifier, not rank, and hence a good roll, or Power Attack, can overcome it. In DC Heroes, the default strategy for being unable to breach the armor would be, "Forget about Critical Strikes, just spend HPs and hope for a double." In M&M, the equivalent would be vulnerability to criticals, but perhaps some resistance to Power Attack. However, a higher Impervious rating by itself would actually encourage power attacking. It probably does make sense for Impervious to exist, since her armor is clearly unbreachable by normal firearms.

I would suggest making her armor Impervious all the way up. Compare these two constructs:

Immunity 1 (bonus damage from Power Attacks), Limited (takes half effect) @ 1 point

versus

Protection 2, Limited 3 (only versus Power Attacks) @ 1 point

Both of these constructions inflict a different sort of "cost" to power attacking, while Impervious protection makes it a necessary strategy to do straightforward damage barring a critical hit. That sounds right. The second construction means that no one without the Power Attack advantage is going to derive any benefit from trying to Power Attack; if that seems harsh, it could be reduced to Protection 1.
Kickstarter: Tripod Machine presents Do Not Approach (Super-powered by M&M)
http://writeups.org - a big and growing collection of dual-statted character writeups!

Ghostwise
Firebrand
Firebrand

Re: [Writeups.org] [3E] Iron Fist, Punisher, el Jaguar,Ma Ma

Postby Ghostwise » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:32 am

The M&M content on writeups.org is not progressing much since I've discovered I can't catch up with the DCH backlog, and churn out larger illustrations, and add recommended reading/viewing links, and do writeups, and comment on other people's stuff, etc. while also doing M&M material. Especially after a three-months intensive code sweep. :x

However, a recent Weapons Locker article about firearms in Old West stories is dual-statted, and is of course open to comments.

Ghostwise
Firebrand
Firebrand

Re: [Writeups.org] [3E] Quagmire, Skrullian Skymaster, Slyfo

Postby Ghostwise » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:03 am

pawsplay wrote:Both of these constructions inflict a different sort of "cost" to power attacking, while Impervious protection makes it a necessary strategy to do straightforward damage barring a critical hit. That sounds right. The second construction means that no one without the Power Attack advantage is going to derive any benefit from trying to Power Attack; if that seems harsh, it could be reduced to Protection 1.

The second one - with Protection - looks easier to get to me. Editing it in, thanks.

pawsplay
Zealot
Zealot

Postby pawsplay » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:06 am

Ghostwise wrote:The M&M content on writeups.org is not progressing much since I've discovered I can't catch up with the DCH backlog, and churn out larger illustrations, and add recommended reading/viewing links, and do writeups, and comment on other people's stuff, etc. while also doing M&M material. Especially after a three-months intensive code sweep. :x

However, a recent Weapons Locker article about firearms in Old West stories is dual-statted, and is of course open to comments.

No worries. I've been keeping my eye on progress. I've been working on some other projects in the mean time.
http://writeups.org - a big and growing collection of dual-statted character writeups!

pawsplay
Zealot
Zealot

Re: [Writeups.org] [3E] El Jaguar, Ma Mayhem, Old West guns

Postby pawsplay » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:57 am

Feedback on the Old West firearms article:

First, I think you can probably delete any references to requiring a Move action to work the action. I think you can probably do this simultaneously with another move action, and hence shouldn't be an action of its own. Just to be sure, I looked up some videos on Youtube, and it was pretty clear to me that a normal type guy can still fire a single action Colt Peacemaker type pistol accurately about once every two seconds while thumbing. I'm pretty sure that fanning is probably just color; when it has a mechanical effect it's probably a power attack, a litle wild but a lot of bullets. One way to simulate these might be to suggest in the introductory part of the article that using a power attack maneuver with a revolver consumes two bullets instead of one, unless the user Aims first.

Second, ammo. Since Unreliable (5 uses) is a -1 Limitation, I think Limited (chambered - 6 shots) should also be a -1 Limitation. It's essentially the same thing, with the "recovery" mechanic being a couple of minutes of reloading. The ejector system is a Feature that allows you to reload using one Move action per chamber. The Remington Single Action with pre-loaded cylinders is instead Activation (standard action to replace cylinder).

Third, damage scale. Older weapons aren't as powerful as modern ones, so the "large" revolvers topping out at Damage 3 makes sense. In order to create some gradation in the damage scale, I'd like to suggest leaving the S&W with its vanilla Damage 3, but giving the Colt and Remington Single Action weapons Improved Threat (19-20). One level of Improved Critical is worth about +1/4 of a rank of Damage. It also goes with the proper mystique.

Goldar
Disciple
Disciple

Postby Goldar » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:56 am

Ghostwise wrote:The M&M content on writeups.org is not progressing much since I've discovered I can't catch up with the DCH backlog, and churn out larger illustrations, and add recommended reading/viewing links, and do writeups, and comment on other people's stuff, etc. while also doing M&M material.

Hello.

I really enjoy your site! :)

I did note your above statement on the backlog, but I was wondering if you have any plans to update and convert these characters into DCA stats anytime in the near future?
Black Cat
Black Widow-Natasha
(probably needs a 5th/6th entry to catch up to today's version)
Carrie White
Jean Grey
Saturn Queen
Silver Sable
Superwoman
(your versions of the CSA character)

Also, any plans for a Bionic Woman (Lindsay Wagner version) and Six Million Dollar Man profiles? [I just love the TV characters statted up!]

Thank you.

Ghostwise
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Ghostwise » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:56 am

pawsplay wrote:Feedback on the Old West firearms article:

First, I think you can probably delete any references to requiring a Move action to work the action. I think you can probably do this simultaneously with another move action, and hence shouldn't be an action of its own.

It's intended to reflect the differences in gunfighting choreographies - Westerns gunfighters are significantly less mobile than modern ones (especially with the Hong Kong influence) and tend to either shoot or move but not both at once. They also tend to aim more and shoot less often (unless they're emptying a revolver as a Power Attack). Fewer Actions are meant to reflect less hectic fight choreographies.

pawsplay wrote:Second, ammo. Since Unreliable (5 uses) is a -1 Limitation, I think Limited (chambered - 6 shots) should also be a -1 Limitation. It's essentially the same thing, with the "recovery" mechanic being a couple of minutes of reloading. The ejector system is a Feature that allows you to reload using one Move action per chamber. The Remington Single Action with pre-loaded cylinders is instead Activation (standard action to replace cylinder).

Good points, I tend to forget about these.

pawsplay wrote:Third, damage scale. Older weapons aren't as powerful as modern ones, so the "large" revolvers topping out at Damage 3 makes sense. In order to create some gradation in the damage scale, I'd like to suggest leaving the S&W with its vanilla Damage 3, but giving the Colt and Remington Single Action weapons Improved Threat (19-20). One level of Improved Critical is worth about +1/4 of a rank of Damage. It also goes with the proper mystique.

In fiction there's rarely a significant difference, though - mooks get taken down in one shot, and getting shot tends to be just as bad as when shot with a modern handgun. Most fiction tends to run with a "a gun is a gun is a gun" approach (unless it's very big or very small), hence James Bond's PPK being just as deadly as most despite shooting .380 ACP.

Ghostwise
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Ghostwise » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:19 am

Goldar wrote:Thank you.

There's a Steve Austin entry but it's from the novels (in fact I should change the illustrations to the novels covers) and I dunno how much the vintage series resembled the novels.

Silver Sable sounds workable - she's a generalist without gimmicks. Howbeit nearly all contributors are redlined at the moment and my incompressible workload doesn't leave room for much - and there are several more months of this to come. :x In fact it's a bit of a struggle to stay awake to finish this message. :mrgreen:

pawsplay
Zealot
Zealot

Postby pawsplay » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:55 am

Ghostwise wrote:
pawsplay wrote:Feedback on the Old West firearms article:

First, I think you can probably delete any references to requiring a Move action to work the action. I think you can probably do this simultaneously with another move action, and hence shouldn't be an action of its own.

It's intended to reflect the differences in gunfighting choreographies - Westerns gunfighters are significantly less mobile than modern ones (especially with the Hong Kong influence) and tend to either shoot or move but not both at once. They also tend to aim more and shoot less often (unless they're emptying a revolver as a Power Attack). Fewer Actions are meant to reflect less hectic fight choreographies.

Consider, though, a running battle between between characters wielding revolvers and Bowie knives. Do you think the gun-wielder should be unable to run and gun? This will actually make it more difficult to use the Aim maneuver, which is already a standard action. I think the best way to reflect Western fight choreography is simply to give many fighters the Improved Aim Advantage and very few the Move-By Action Advantage.

Ghostwise
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Ghostwise » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:16 pm

The work on the new version of the site pushed the creation of new DC Adventures stats on the wayside - there are only so many hours a day and something had to give. Still, it has been months without anything, so ten entries from this thread have been published on writeups.org.

In this pack : The illustrations were also enlarged wherever applicable, so all in all that was a pretty long grind.

Ghostwise
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Ghostwise » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:44 am

Mostly to check whether I remember how to do DCA stats :wink: , and since I'm currently doing some Dark Horse Heroes work. This entry uses the current format (available in Chapter 8 of the FAQ on writeups.org) - I haven't actually written the script for it yet since I still have backlog not using this format in this thread, but it will make publishing DCA stats less of a grind.

Gamble
Averaged PL 7.8
<!-- Biography, characterisation, pictures, power description and the like at writeups.org

Image -->

Abilities
Strength_ 01 Stamina_ 03 Agility_ 02 Dexterity_ 04 Fighting_ 06 Intellect_ 03 Awareness_ 02 Presence_ 01

Powers
Amazing luck • 7 points • Descriptor: Just lucky
-> Impossible survival -- Immortality 2 (Limited 2 - must be explainable by a lucky break)
-> Heals just right -- Regeneration 1
-> Enhanced Advantages (Luck 4, Evasion)

Combat Advantages
Accurate attack, Close Attack 1, Defensive attack, Defensive Roll 2, Evasion, Improved critical 1 (Handguns), Instant Up, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 5

Other Advantages
Benefit (Gamble is fully ambidextrous), Contacts, Equipment 3, Fearless, Luck 4, Well-Informed

Skills
Athletics 4 (+5), Close combat (Unarmed) 2 (+9), Deception 4 (+5), Expertise (Gambler) 9 (+12), Expertise (Hitman) 9 (+12), Expertise (Streetwise) 7 (+10), Insight 7 (+9), Intimidation 3 (+4), Investigation 5 (+8) (Limited 1 to Search, Gather information, Surveillance), Perception 5 (+7), Persuasion 2 (+3), Stealth 6 (+8), Technology 6 (+9) (Limited 1 to Demolitions, Security), Vehicles 4 (+8) (Limited 2 to common land vehicles)

Equipment
Light pistol • 6 points (has occasionally used a heavy one instead)
Throwing knives Limited 2 (two knives) • 1 point
Explosive dice Ranged Explosive Damage 5 (Limited 1 - four dice) • 5 points
Three points in demolition equipment

Offense
Initiative_ +2
Unarmed_ +9, Close, Damage 1
Light pistol +9, Ranged, Damage 3, Threat 19-20
Throwing knife +9, Ranged, Damage 1, Threat 19-20
Exploding dice +9, Ranged, Damage 5

Defense
Dodge_ 10
Fortitude_ 6
Parry_ 10
Toughness_ 5/3*
Will_ 7
Defense notes:
* Without Defensive Roll

Complications
Obsession Gamble seldom can resist taking chances

<!-- Image -->

Power levels
Trade-off areas. Attack/Effect PL 7, Dodge/Toughness PL 8, Parry/Toughness PL 8, Fort/Will PL 7
Point total 124 Abilities 44, Defences 20, Skills 33, Powers 7, Devices 0, Advantages 20. Equiv. PL 9.

Notes
The Averaged PL is prolly best treated as 7 as all its components got rounded up.
Last edited by Ghostwise on Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ghostwise
Firebrand
Firebrand

Re: [Writeups.org] [3E] Ma Mayhem, Old West guns, Gamble

Postby Ghostwise » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:49 pm

And if someone has a good approach in mind for the mark of death used by X, I can throw that in too. :)

Ghostwise
Firebrand
Firebrand

Re: [Writeups.org] [3E] Ma Mayhem, Old West guns, Gamble

Postby Ghostwise » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:10 am

As long as I'm rolling this stuff out...

------------------------------

Generic Pit Bulls operator
Averaged PL 6.6
<!-- Biography, characterisation, pictures, power description and the like at writeups.org

Image -->

Abilities
Strength_ 02 Stamina_ 02 Agility_ 02 Dexterity_ 01 Fighting_ 05 Intellect_ 00 Awareness_ 00 Presence_ 00

Stats variance
Butch has a Presence of 01 instead of 00, and Spike a Strength of 03 instead of 02.

Powers
Let loose the dogs of war • 16 points • Descriptor: Psychological conditioning
-> Fast healer -- Regeneration 1
-> Dog-like aggression -- Enhanced Advantages (All-Out Attack, Close Attack 1, Fearless, Improved Initiative, Ranged attack 2, Second chance (Pain), Takedown, Teamwork), Enhanced Fortitude 2, Enhanced Will 4

Devices
Soft body armour • 2 points (Removable) • Descriptor: Ballistic cloth
-> Protection 1
-> Feature (the armour will prevent reaching a Dying Condition as a result of an attack with a Damage of 6 or lower), Subtle

Combat Advantages
All-Out Attack, Close Attack 2 (3), Improved Defence, Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Ranged attack 2, Takedown

Other Advantages
Equipment 4, Fearless, Second chance (pain), Teamwork

Skills
Athletics 3 (+5), Expertise (Military) 6 (+6), Insight 2 (+2), Perception 4 (+4), Ranged combat (Firearms) 5 (+8), Stealth 2 (+4), Treatment 4 (+4) (Limited 2 to Stabilise and Revive)

Equipment
Array:
    - Cut-down M16 -- Ranged Ballistic Multiattack Damage 5 • 15 points
    - .45 semi-auto -- Ranged Ballistic Damage 3
    - Combat knife -- Close Piercing Damage 1, Improved Critical
    - Frag grenade -- Burst Area Damage 7
The Pit Bulls were once seen using anti-light-vehicle grenade launchers (Ranged Explosive Damage 7, Limited 2 (single-shot breech-loader))

Offense
Initiative_ 6
Unarmed_ +8, Close, Damage 2
Assault rifle +8, Ranged, Multiattack Damage 5
Pistol +8, Ranged, Damage 3
Knife +8, Close, Damage 3, Threat 19-20
Grenade, Burst-Area Damage 7

Defense
Dodge_ 9
Fortitude_ 7
Parry_ 8
Toughness_ 5**/4/2*
Will_ 7
Defense notes:
* Without Defensive Roll
** With armour and Defensive Roll

Complications
K9 conditioning The Pit Bulls are unable to live like human beings, and have been conditioned since birth with dog-like instincts.

<!-- Image -->

Power levels
Trade-off areas. Attack/Effect PL 7, Dodge/Toughness PL 7, Parry/Toughness PL 7, Fort/Will PL 7
Point total 66 Abilities 12, Defences 16, Skills 12, Powers 16, Devices 2, Advantages 8. Equiv. PL 5.

Notes
As usual with writeups.org DCA stats, these stats are not benched against the extraordinarily high stats for stock NPCs such as generic SWAT officers.

pawsplay
Zealot
Zealot

Postby pawsplay » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:10 am

Ghostwise wrote:The work on the new version of the site pushed the creation of new DC Adventures stats on the wayside - there are only so many hours a day and something had to give. Still, it has been months without anything, so ten entries from this thread have been published on writeups.org.

In this pack : The illustrations were also enlarged wherever applicable, so all in all that was a pretty long grind.

On Sentry, Accelerated should be noted as an alternate effect of Flight.

Cool. I'll probably try my hand at a few more soon. Even if they don't get published any time soon, I'd like to keep the discussions fresh.

Ghostwise
Firebrand
Firebrand

Re: [Writeups.org] [3E] Old West guns, Gamble, Pit Bulls

Postby Ghostwise » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:04 am

More stuff of opportunity to keep some practice - Steve James in very bad, very 1980s movie American Ninja.

Corporal Jackson
Averaged PL 6.4

Image -->

Abilities
Strength_ 02 Stamina_ 03 Agility_ 02 Dexterity_ 02 Fighting_ 05 Intellect_ 01 Awareness_ 01 Presence_ 01

Combat Advantages
Chokehold, Close attack 2, Defensive Roll 2, Improved trip, Ranged attack 2

Other Advantages
Benefit 1 (Well-regarded MP), Equipment 2

Skills
Athletics 3 (+5), Deception 1 (+2), Expertise (Martial arts lore) 4 (+5), Expertise (Military police) 5 (+6), Insight 3 (+4), Intimidation 2 (+3), Investigation 2 (+3), Perception 4 (+5), Persuasion 1 (+2), Ranged combat (Infantry weapons) 3 (+7), Vehicles 4 (+6) (Limited 2 to common land vehicles)

Equipment
Motorcycle. Jackson can also be assigned military equipment as any soldier.

Offense
Initiative_ +2
Unarmed_ +7, Close, Damage 2
Firearms +7, Ranged, Damage varies by type

Defense
Dodge_ 8
Fortitude_ 7
Parry_ 8
Toughness_ 5/3*
Will_ 6
Defense notes:
* Without Defensive Roll

Complications
Nah.

<!-- Image -->

Power levels
Trade-off areas. Attack/Effect PL 5, Dodge/Toughness PL 7, Parry/Toughness PL 7, Fort/Will PL 7
Point total 78 Abilities 34, Defences 18, Skills 15, Powers 0, Devices 0, Advantages 11. Equiv. PL 6.

Return to “Roll Call”