Time to expand our Marvel coverage? I think so!Captain America
Marvel Universe Biography, characterisation, pictures, power description and the like at writeups.orgAbilities
Strength 04 (05), Stamina 05, Agility 07, Dexterity 07, Fighting 11, Intellect 06, Awareness 07, Presence 07Averaged PL
3 points • Descriptor: Biological, Vita-Rays
- Enhanced Strength 1
- Enhanced Advantage (Great Endurance, Skill Mastery (Acrobatics, Athletics])Suspended Animation
2 points • Descriptor: Biological
- Immunity 6 (aging, suffocation, thirst and hunger, cold environments), Limited 3 (only while unconscious from cold)Shield Combat
4 points • Removable (thrown weapon that can ricochet) • Descriptor: Skill
- Enhanced Advantage (Precise Attack [Ranged, Cover]), Limited (thrown shield)
- Enhanced Ranged Attack, Ricochet 2
- Enhanced Skill (Ranged Combat: Thrown weapons 2), Limited (thrown shield)DevicesShield
Array • 9 points • Easily Removable, Indestructible • Descriptor: Vibranium
•Blocking -- Enhanced Dodge 2; Enhanced Parry 2; Impervious Toughness 10, Limited 1 (attacks that can be blocked)
•Thrown shield -- Strength-based Damage, Ranged 5, Quirk (thrown weapon - this and other effects nullified until recovered, may use one ricochet to recover the shield)
•Indestructible Vibranium -- Protection 13, Concentration, Distracting, Impervious, Limited (attacks that can be blocked) and Enhanced Fortitude 11, Concentration, Distracting, Limited (attacks that can be blocked)Costume
4 points • Removable • Descriptor: Polymer
- Protection 2, Limited 3 (slashing/piercing)
- Protection 2, Limited 2 (heat and cold); Enhanced Fortitude 2, Limited 2 (heat and cold)
- Insulated Gloves -- Protection 4 and Enhanced Fortitude 4, both Limited 3 (electricity), Limited 3 (gloved hands only)Combat Advantages
Assessment, Close Attack 7, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll 3, Evasion, Fearless, Improved Defenses, Improved Smash, Improved Trip, Inspire, Improved Initiative, Instant Up, Leadership, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 11, Redirect, Takedown, Uncanny DodgeOther Advantages
Benefit 3 (Avengers credentials, including line of credit with commcard), Benefit 2 (Popularity), Benefit 2 (friend of Tony Stark), Benefit 2 (friend of T’Challa), Connected, Contacts, Equipment 3, Great Endurance
, Skill Mastery (Acrobatics, Athletics)
Acrobatics 7 (+14), Athletics 8 (+14), Close Combat: Unarmed 1 (+19), Deception 7 (+14), Expertise: Drawing 2 (+8), Expertise: Military 6 (+12), Insight 8 (+15), Intimidation 5 (+12), Perception 9 (+16), Persuasion 6 (+13), Stealth 4 (+11), Treatment 3 (+9, Limited 2 - stabilize only), Vehicles 4 (+11)Equipment
- Avengers Commcard -- Radio Communication 3, Feature (encrypted key card) Offense
Unarmed +19, Close, Damage 5
Thrown shield +20, Ranged, Damage 5Defense
Dodge 14 (16 with Blocking), Parry 15 (17 with Blocking)
Toughness** 8/5*, Fortitude 9, Will 15
*Without Defensive Roll bonus.
** 10/6* versus piercing/slashing, fire, and cold.ComplicationsDoing Good
Captain America is an earnest and sacrificing champion of justice, peace, and hope Patriotism
Captain America believes in America, as he believes it can be, opposing not only its enemies but those who would pervert its democracy or spirit for their own ends.Enemies
Captain America’s arch enemy is the Red Skull. One Life to Give
Rogers has a difficult, almost non-existent personal life. Even his secret identity is subject to sacrifice, if need be.Father Figure
Perhaps in part because he has no family of his own, Captain America is driven to train and inspire others. The loss of Bucky and other tragedies that have arisen because of his association are particularly difficult for him to deal with.Vibranium
While virtually indestructible, Captain America’s shield could theoretically be destroyed by by impact with another substance that is equally unyielding or atom-crushing energy. Power levelsTrade-off areas.
Attack & Effect PL 13, Dodge/Toughness PL 13, Parry/Toughness 12, Fort & Will PL 12.Point total 240
Abilities 108, Defences 23, Skills 36, Powers 22, Advantages 51. Equiv. PL 16. Previous Stats
- During WWII, change his Benefits Advantages to simply Benefit 2 (Military credentials) and Benefit 2 (Popularity). His costume granted only Protection 1 (Limited 3 to slashing/piercing). His original shield had only the Blocking slot and was not Indestructible, and he did not develop Shield Combat until he acquired his iconic round shield.
- When Captain America was first revived he suffered Guilt over Bucky's death, even going so far as to sometimes cast his new sidekick Rick Jones in Bucky's image. He eventually laid his original partner's ghost to rest and lost this Drawback.
- For a brief period during the 1970s, Captain America had his strength enhanced to superhuman levels (STR 09), which would give him an offensive PL of 14.
- There have been times in Cap's career when the effects of the super-soldier serum have been nullified. In these cases the only noticeable effect has been that Cap's STR is reduced to 05 and he has to train harder to maintain his edge, signified by the loss of his Enhanced Advantages.
- During the deterioration of his super-soldier serum, Captain America would suffer a condition whenever he rolled equal to or under the current range, on a d20, on a check involving Strength, Agility, Dexterity, Stamina, or Fighting. He could avoid this by minimizing his exertions (i.e. using less than full ranks for the check in question). The range begins at 1, and increases by 1 each time the Complication is triggered. When the range reaches 1-10, all of Captain America’s physical Abilities become weakened by one rank; when the range reaches 1-15, he loses another rank, and whenever this Complication is triggered, he also has his Strength debilitated until he can succeed at a Fortitude check (DC equal to 10 + the current range). Cap's range eventually reached 20, leaving him with permanently debilitated Strength, though this condition was soon reversed by a blood transfusion from the Red Skull, who had now the same super-soldier serum in his veins and had ended up in the ironic position of needing his enemy's help.Notes
- Captain America’s defenses can exceed his stated PL in certain circumstances. His costume includes situational Toughness is not counted. When using his shield to bruntly absorb incoming attacks, his Toughness increases, while his Dodge and Parry are treated as vulnerable. If using this tactic against a close attack that deals fire, cold, or slashing/piercing Damage, his Toughness would be 20 while his Parry would be 8, giving him a defensive PL of 14.