Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

[Writeups.org] [3E] Pit Bulls, American Ninja, Silver Sable

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.

Moderators: The Mod Squad, The Justice League, M&M Line Developer

Re: [Writeups.org] [3E] Silver Dagger, Tigra, Stallion, Trapster

Postby pawsplay » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:45 pm

Hm, when I scroll down to the stats section, the unexpanded stats fill up nearly a third of the page. That's a lot of room for zero content. I wonder if the two stat block menus could be done side to size, then the stats below them.
Kickstarter: Tripod Machine presents Do Not Approach (Super-powered by M&M)
http://writeups.org - a big and growing collection of dual-statted character writeups!
pawsplay
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Ghostwise » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:20 am

pawsplay wrote:Hm, when I scroll down to the stats section, the unexpanded stats fill up nearly a third of the page. That's a lot of room for zero content. I wonder if the two stat block menus could be done side to size, then the stats below them.

The layout treats ample whitespace as a good thing (because it is), but the links below the "button" could stand being side-by-side rather than over-under, yeah.
Ghostwise
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Ghostwise » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:24 am

Ain't been around lately since there was a lot of work in switching writeups.org to a completely new, much improved layout and organisation.

An example of a fully modernised, dual-statted entry can be seen here.

The dual-statted entries have priority for modernisation, since the layout for DCA stats has been enhanced and they need to be converted to that format. Once I've ground through these 175 entries... well, we'll see.
Ghostwise
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby BlindPugh » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:36 am

Looks good. I don't envy you having to convert all those though.
When realities collide- Quicksilver With thanks to Tatooedman.
Shadow war- Bill Sakowski
Toronto's greatest heroes- Green Ronin
BlindPugh
Compatriot
Compatriot

Postby Ghostwise » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:55 am

BlindPugh wrote:Looks good. I don't envy you having to convert all those though.

That's why we encourage people to donate ! :mrgreen:

While reviewing Daredevil I added the missing non-combat Advantages - a short selection that seemed appropriate.

Paws, I'm not too comfortable with the Intellect score - it looks jarringly high. 03, maybe ?

Otherwise, I'm still buried in modernising the dual-statted entries.
Ghostwise
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby pawsplay » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:40 pm

Daredevil's high Intellect is keyed to his high INT and Detective (Law). I think it's an accurate representation of his DCH stats. His Mental stats put him just under Batman and he has several INT-based skills. The only potentially artifactual result are high skill defaults,which are present to exactly the same degree in the DCH version.
http://writeups.org - a big and growing collection of dual-statted character writeups!
pawsplay
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Ghostwise » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:25 am

'k.

The Mink entry - http://writeups.org/fiche.php?id=1589 - has received the suggested DCH changes and has been modernised, if you want to re-issue DCA stats for her. I've also upgraded most illustrations.
Ghostwise
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby pawsplay » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:17 am

Mink
Marvel Universe

Former enemy of Nighthawk of the Squadron Supreme, later member of the Redeemers. Mink is a Catwoman analog, with some traits reminiscent of other gadget-based Batman foes.

Biography, characterisation, pictures, power description and the like at writeups.org

Abilities
Strength 00, Stamina 03, Agility 04, Dexterity 02, Fighting 04, Intellect 02, Awareness 01, Presence 01

Averaged PL 7.6

Powers
Bracelets • Array • 13 points • Removable • Descriptor: Technological
- Claws -- Strength-based Damage 3, Improved Critical 2 • Descriptor: Piercing Impact
- Musk Spray -- Ranged Affliction 6 (resisted by Fortitude; impaired, disabled, incapacitated), Diminished Range 3, Multiattack • Descriptor: Chemical, Irritant

Combat Advantages
Close Attack 2, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll 3, Evasion, Fascinate (Deception), Improved Defense, Improved Trip, Instant Up, Move-by Action, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 2

Other Advantages
Attractive, Benefit 2 (Wealth), Equipment 1, Inventor

Skills
Acrobatics 5 (+9), Athletics 7 (+7), Close Combat: Claws 2 (+8), Close Combat: Unarmed 2 (+8), Deception 6 (+7), Expertise: Connoisseur 5 (+7), Expertise: Criminal 12 (+14), Expertise: Gemology and Jewelry 10 (+12), Expertise: Science 5 (+7), Expertise: Science 5 (+12, Limited 1 to Chemistry), Insight 2 (+3), Perception 5 (+6), Persuasion 1 (+2), Ranged Combat: Chemical Sprays 4 (+8), Sleight of Hand 9 (+11), Stealth 7 (+11), Technology 4 (+6)

Equipment
- Padded Coat -- Protection 1, Limited (Physical Impact) • 1 point

Offense
Initiative +4
Unarmed +8, Close, Damage 0
Claws +8, Close, Damage 3, Threat 18-20
Musk Spray +8, Ranged, Affliction 6 (Fortitude DC 16)

Defense
Dodge 9, Parry 9
Toughness** 6/3*, Fortitude 8, Will 4
*Without Defensive Roll bonus.
** 7/4* versus Physical Impact.

Complications
Thrill Seeker Mink became a cat burglar to escape a life of boredom, and may have developed an interest in heroics to alleviate a life of meaningless acquisition. She is a natural show-off.
Obsession Mink has a fascination with physical composition, manifested most clearly in her obsession with exceptional gemstones.

Power levels
Trade-off areas. Attack & Effect PL 7, Dodge/Toughness PL 8, Parry/Toughness 8, Fort & Will PL 6
Point total 130 Abilities 34, Defences 18, Skills 44, Powers 13, Advantages 20. Equiv. PL 9.

Previous Stats
- Prior to her training by Nighthawk, she lacked the Improved Trip Advantage.

Notes
- As much of the writeup has been gisted from just a few appearances, her DCA stats have been generously estimated from the benchmarks in areas of demonstrated competence. Her Fighting was boosted one rank from the OMACS benchmarks to reflect her generally high prowess, despite lacking the Martial Artist skill per se; this is a cosmetic choice. Her Dexterity was also boosted a Rank, as lacking a proper Weaponry skill or any sort of Vehicles, it was fairly low for a skilled thief with a powerful ranged attack.
- The reason her Dexterity is not any higher is that she is one of the few characters in the Utopia book never seen operating any sort of vehicle. Given her background, it’s possible she never learned to drive herself. An alternative take on the character might have a Dexterity of 4 or so.
- A previous version had the Takedown advantage. As she never demonstrated this capability in hand-to-hand, that Advantage has been removed. Her Musk Spray has been given Multiattack as a better representation of her spreading attacks. A good roll will also boost the damage save to its reputed efficacy, although in general deployments of her spray have not been seen as exceptionally effective.
pawsplay
Zealot
Zealot

Postby pawsplay » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:20 pm

In Arcanna's entry http://www.writeups.org/fiche.php?id=1227 her Combat Advantages were duplicated instead of listing her other Advantages.
pawsplay
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Ghostwise » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:26 pm

pawsplay wrote:In Arcanna's entry http://www.writeups.org/fiche.php?id=1227 her Combat Advantages were duplicated instead of listing her other Advantages.

On the other hand you'll have to admit the illustration is much better. :mrgreen:

Thank you. Will correct Arcanna, then upload Mink... when I can use my files again, since they're in the throes of a script I may have ever so slightly failed to optimise. A bit.
Ghostwise
Firebrand
Firebrand

Re: [Writeups.org] [3E] Tigra, Stallion, Trapster, Mink

Postby Ghostwise » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:22 am

The Claws in Tigra's first DCA stats set have been modifed so I don't forget.

Here's the second set of stats for our second Tigra entry -- which corresponds to the rest of the 1970s, before she joins the Avengers.

In the previous entry I was still using Enhanced stats and stuff since Greer would sometimes operate as a human person, but at this point she's basically Tigra all the time. So there's little need to bother with explaining the difference between forms.

Basically she's stronger and faster and more experienced, though her Insight is starting to go as her Cat powers recede. Also see the notes for an effect that's easy in DCH and not so much in DCA.

Tigra (1976-1980)
Marvel Universe

Biography, characterisation, pictures, power description and the like at writeups.org

Abilities
Strength 07, Stamina 02, Agility 06, Dexterity 01, Fighting 05, Intellect 01, Awareness 01, Presence 01

Averaged PL 9

Powers
Cat power • 15 points • Descriptor: Cat People science and magic
- Enhanced senses -- Senses 4 (Extended hearing, Extended Tracking Olfactory), Enhanced Skill (3 Ranks of Insight (Quirk - no Resist Influence and, most devastatingly, no Innuendo))
- Fur -- Immunity 1 (Cold environments, Limited to half-effect)
- Run Tigra run -- Leaping 2, Speed 5, Evasion
- Catfall -- Movement 1 (Safe fall (Limited 1 - needs ways to break her fall), Sure-footed (Limited 1 - works on unstable surfaces but not slippery ones)

Claws • 3 points
- Strength-based Slashing Damage 1
- Lashing out -- Strength-based Damage, Accurate, Improved Threat, Limited 1 - only vs. targets with no STA ability (usually robots) • Descriptor: Skill

Enticing • 1 point • Descriptor: Hybrid appearance
Attractive, 2 Ranks of Persuasion, both Limited 2 to man-beast hybrids

Sacrificial image • 1 point • Descriptor: Cat People magic ?
Feature 1 (might be able to project a sacrificial image, see the Powers & Abilities section)

Human form • 1 point (Removable) • Descriptor: Cat People magic
Feature 1 (can revert to her human form using her amulet, but almost never does so)

Combat Advantages
Close attack 2, Defensive Roll 5, <i>Evasion</i>

Other Advantages
Benefit 1 (Champion of the Cat People), Benefit 1 (Friend of Dr. Tumolo)

Skills
Acrobatics 7 (+13), Athletics 6 (+13), Close combat (Unarmed/claws) 4 (+11), Deception 2 (+3), Expertise (Streetwise) 2 (+3) (Limited 1 to Chicago), Insight 2 (+3) <i>(+6 for most applications)</i>, Perception 3 (+4), Persuasion 1 (+2), Stealth 3 (+9), Treatment 2 (+3) (Limited 2 to Stabilise and Revive)

Offense
Initiative +6
Unarmed +11, Close, Damage 7
Claws +11 (+13 vs. non-living targets), Close, Damage 8

Defense
Dodge 12, Parry 11
Toughness 7/2*, Fortitude 9, Will 7
*Without Defensive Roll bonus

Complications
Exotic looks Tigra isn't frightening, but she's certainly unusual-looking
Blow to the head Tigra's Fortitude is lowered by 4 against effects she cannot dodge or otherwise react to
Temper Greer find it difficult to rein in her new animal instincts
Working poor Ms. Nelson has next to no income and mostly operates using money from Dr. Tumolo and other Cat persons

Power levels
Trade-off areas. Attack & Effect PL 10, Dodge/Toughness PL 10, Parry/Toughness PL 9, Fort & Will PL 8
Point total 118 Abilities 48, Defences 24, Skills 14, Powers 21, Devices 0, Advantages 9. Equiv. PL 8.

Notes The Claws are treated as having a +12 Offence bonus for PL computations. The surprisingly low Stamina is compensated for by a high Defensive Roll to model her tendency to be knocked out by surprise attacks.

Notes During this era Tigra demonstrated pretty good stats, but keeps underperforming as a heroine despite these. She lacks a spark, an heroic focus, the right stuff. The closest equivalent in game terms is that Tigra somehow gets a much-reduced Hero Points allotment - by 60% or so - and is often at the mercy of the d20, making her performance inconsistent and forcing her to save her Hero Points. She keeps those for when she's in particularly serious danger, or when she's facing Kraven the Hunter - against whom she'll gladly spent the Hero Points she managed to save.
Last edited by Ghostwise on Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ghostwise
Firebrand
Firebrand

Re: [Writeups.org] [3E] Stallion, Trapster, Mink, Tigra

Postby Ghostwise » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:37 am

I had this laying around, so here it is.

I now need to work on a new template and a new script for profiles in this thread, making conversion easier for writeups.org publication and avoiding the manual stuff I have to do now - which creates room for mistakes like with Arcanna.

Anyway, Hisako -

-------------------------------------------

Armor (Hisako Ichiki)
Marvel Universe

Abilities
Strength 00 (11), Stamina 02 (03), Agility 02, Dexterity 01, Fighting 04 (06), Intellect 02, Awareness 01, Presence 01

Averaged PL 9.6

Powers
Psychic power armour • 58 points • Descriptor: Psionic, mutant, ancestral
- Augmented strength -- Enhanced strength 11, Enhanced Fighting 2, Close Attack 1, Quirk (Enhanced Strength doesn't increase Skills)
- Invulnerable -- Enhanced Stamina 1, Impervious Protection 10, Ultimate Toughness, Second chance (Structural impacts such as falls and explosions), Immunity 7 (disease, poison, environment, strangulation)
- Force claws - Strength-based Damage 1

Kaiju patrol giant girl defender Hisako • 6 points • Descriptor: Psionic, mutant, ancestral
Growth 14, Enhanced Defense (Parry 7, Limited to offsetting Growth penalties), Limited 1 (Growth makes it difficult to perceive normal-sized things and is mostly useful for dealing with giant monsters and very large obstacle), Quirk (must engage full Ranks of Growth), Tiring, Quirk (requires Psychic power armour to be active before it is used)

Combat Advantages
<i>Close attack 1</i>, Defensive Roll 2 (Limited 1 to unarmoured form), <i>Second chance (Structural impacts such as falls and explosions)</i>, <i>Ultimate Toughness</i>

Other Advantages
Benefit (X-Men member), Equipment 1, Language 1 (Japanese), Well-Informed (Limited to the X-Men's archive, but gets a +5 to her roll)

Skills
Athletics 2 (+2), Close combat (Unarmed) 3 (+7), Expertise (Science) 2 (+3), Insight 2 (+3), Perception 2 (+3)

Equipment
X-Men costume -- Protection 2 (Limited 2 to heat/cold)
Smartphone

Offense
Initiative +2
Unarmed +7, Close, Damage 0
Unarmed w/Psychic Armour +10, Close, Damage 12 (w/claws)

Defense
Dodge 7, Parry 9
Toughness 13/4*/2**, Fortitude 9/8*, Will 6
*Unarmoured
** Unarmoured and without Defensive Roll

Complications
Vulnerability Armor's Protection doesn't work against visible light, including lasers
Family Hisako had a frustrating relationship with her dad and her social status
Heroine Armor is here to do hero stuff like saving people
Youth Hisako is still a teenager
Prejudice Armor is a mutant

Power levels
Trade-off areas. Attack & Effect PL 11, Dodge/Toughness PL 10, Parry/Toughness PL 11, Fort & Will PL 8
Point total 120 Abilities 26, Defences 19, Skills 6, Powers 64, Devices 0, Advantages 5. Equiv. PL 8.

Notes These are current - as of the summer of 2012 - scores. Many of Hisako's scores started one Rank lower, including her Fighting and Strength, during the 2000s.

Notes The Growth ability ends up worth very few points - which is fine since it is only usable when the GM allows it, as it pulverises the PL cap. Her giant form is not counted in PL computations as a result.
Ghostwise
Firebrand
Firebrand

Re: [Writeups.org] [3E] Stallion, Trapster, Mink, Tigra, Armor

Postby Ghostwise » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:21 am

Never mind this, just testing ideas.

---------------------

Name of character
Averaged PL XXX
<!-- [url=WRITEUPS.ORG URL]Biography, characterisation, pictures, power description and the like at writeups.org[/url]

[img]URL%20OF%20THE%20FIRST%20IMAGE[/img] -->

Abilities
Strength_ XXX (XXX) Stamina_ XXX Agility_ XXX Dexterity_ XXX Fighting_ XXX Intellect_ XXX Awareness_ XXX Presence_ XXX

Powers
Name of the Power • XXX points • Descriptor: XXX
-> Subpower -- Effects
-> Subpower -- Effects
-> Array :
    --> Item in the list (note there are two dashes) -- Effects
    --> Item in the list (note there are two dashes) -- Effects

Devices
Name of the Device • XXX points • Descriptor: XXX
-> Subpower -- Effects
-> Subpower -- Effects

Combat Advantages
COMBAT ADVANTAGES (STATE "None demonstrated" IF NONE), Advantage inherited from a Power or somesuch, in italics

Other Advantages
OTHER ADVANTAGES (STATE "None demonstrated" IF NONE), Advantage inherited from a Power or somesuch, in italics

Skills
SKILLS (STATE "None demonstrated" IF NONE)

Equipment
Bit of equipment 1 Blah blah • XXX points
Bit of equipment 2 Blah blah • XXX points
(SKIP ENTIRELY IF NO EQUIPMENT)

Offense
Initiative_ XXXX
Unarmed_ XXXX
OTHER OFFENSES

Defense
Dodge_ XXX
Fortitude_ XXX
Parry_ XXX
Toughness_ XXX
Will_ XXX
Defense notes:
* Without Defensive Roll

Complications
Complication 1 Description of Complication
Complication 2 Description of Complication

<!-- [img]URL%20OF%20THE%20SECOND%20IMAGE[/img] -->

Power levels
Trade-off areas. Attack/Effect PL XXX, Dodge/Toughness PL XXX, Parry/Toughness PL XXX, Fort/Will PL XXX
Point total XXX Abilities XXX, Defences XXX, Skills XXX, Powers XXX, Devices XXX, Advantages XXX. Equiv. PL XXX.

Notes
NOTES
Ghostwise
Firebrand
Firebrand

Re: [Writeups.org] [3E] Tigra, Stallion, Trapster, Mink

Postby pawsplay » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:52 am

Ghostwise wrote:Tigra (1976-1980)
Marvel Universe

Dodge 12, Parry 11
Toughness 7/4*, Fortitude 9, Will 7
*Without Defensive Roll bonus

Complications
Exotic looks Tigra isn't frightening, but she's certainly unusual-looking
Blow to the head Tigra's Fortitude and Toughness are lowered by 4 if she's struck by surprise, or struck while grappling with a third party

Her Toughness isn't calculated correctly, I think. I see Stamina 4 + DR 2= 6, unless I missed something. By the way, her Defensive Roll will also drop if she surprised or grappled. As written, she could easily end up with Toughness 0 or even negative with this Complication. My thinking is just to build her up with more levels of Defensive Roll and let her Stamina be lower than expected. Call it The Bucky Effect.

DCA doesn't have a lot of "stun" attacks. I don't see the Fortitude part coming into play much except with things like tasers and chi punches. If you think that's a detail worth preserving, it might be a little more show-your-work to make part of her Fortitude into Enhanced Fortitude, Sustained... you could even add Innate and Quirk (not when vulnerable or helpless), at no change in cost, and matching Defensive Roll, more or less, in function.
pawsplay
Zealot
Zealot

Re: [Writeups.org] [3E] Stallion, Trapster, Mink, Tigra, Armor

Postby JoshuaDunlow » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:17 pm

I have to admit, I like your character format, and really dig the Armor build. Though some of the construction on her growth seems iffy to me.
JoshuaDunlow
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

PreviousNext

Return to Roll Call