Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

[Writeups.org] [3E] Pit Bulls, American Ninja, Silver Sable

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.

Moderators: The Mod Squad, The Justice League, M&M Line Developer

Re: [Writeups.org] [3E] Heavy Mettle, Joker, Silver Dagger,Tigra

Postby Ghostwise » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:12 pm

pawsplay wrote:Unless she uses he claws for tripping, grabbing, or disarming, I think this should be:

- Claws - Strength-based Damage, Accuracy (Limited 1 - only vs. non-living targets); Strength-based Slashing Damage 1.

Yeah, Accuracy's better for Greer - good point.

I'm not enthused about the Complication approach, but on the other hand I'm not too good with with Flaws vs. Complication - so if you think it's more in line with official writeups I guess we'll go with the Complication.
Ghostwise
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Ghostwise » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:32 pm

I've just rewritten, re-illustrated, re-statted, etc. this dude, and since it's a simple DCA writeup...

Stallion
DC Universe

Biography, characterisation, pictures, power description and the like at writeups.org

Abilities
Strength 04, Stamina 03, Agility 02, Dexterity 01, Fighting 06, Intellect 00, Awareness 00, Presence 01

Averaged PL 6.6

Combat Advantages
Defensive Roll 3, Improved Critical (Unarmed) 1, Power Attack, Takedown

Other Advantages
Equipment 1

Skills
Athletics 1 (+5), Close combat (Unarmed) 2 (+8), Close combat (Nunchaku) 2 (+8), Expertise (Criminal) 4 (+4), Expertise (Gridiron football) 3 (+3), Intimidation 4 (+5), Perception 2 (+2), Persuasion 1 (+2), Vehicles 4 (+5) (Limited 2 to Common land vehicles)

Equipment
Steel nunchaku -- Strength-based Blunt Damage 2, Feature (one spare nunchaku) • 3 points
Cell phone or radio • 1 point
Survival knife (used as a tool, not as a weapon) • 1 point

Offense
Initiative +2
Unarmed +8, Close, Damage 4, Critical 19-20
Nunchaku +8, Close, Damage 6

Defense
Dodge 8, Parry 10
Toughness 6/3*, Fortitude 8, Will 4
*Without Defensive Roll bonus

Complications
Disability Stallion's knees are in very bad shape
Vulnerability Stallion's Toughness is zero if he's hit in the knees
Style Stallion is a huge man with a distinctive wardrobe and mannerisms
Temper Stallion is neither stupid nor undisciplined, but he can take decisions that aren't too bright
Loyalty Stallion is very loyal to his employers and can take unreasonable risks to please or defend them

Power levels
Trade-off areas. Attack & Effect PL 7, Dodge/Toughness PL 7, Parry/Toughness PL 8, Fort & Will PL 6
Point total 69 Abilities 34, Defences 18, Skills 10, Powers 0, Devices 0, Advantages 7. Equiv. PL 5.
Ghostwise
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby pawsplay » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:25 pm

Ghostwise wrote:
pawsplay wrote:Unless she uses he claws for tripping, grabbing, or disarming, I think this should be:

- Claws - Strength-based Damage, Accuracy (Limited 1 - only vs. non-living targets); Strength-based Slashing Damage 1.

Yeah, Accuracy's better for Greer - good point.

I'm not enthused about the Complication approach, but on the other hand I'm not too good with with Flaws vs. Complication - so if you think it's more in line with official writeups I guess we'll go with the Complication.

This is one of those situations where you have a consistent Complication, like the "deaf in one ear" thing I posed a while back. Most of the official writeups avoid this kind of trait entirely. I think it's one of the weaker points of 3e. That aside, I think the Complication does work best in this situation because it helps go beyond the numbers a bit. It also means that if she earns a HP from the Complication, she can overcome it to some extent, as in the original writeup.
Kickstarter: Tripod Machine presents Do Not Approach (Super-powered by M&M)
http://writeups.org - a big and growing collection of dual-statted character writeups!
pawsplay
Zealot
Zealot

Re: [Writeups.org] [3E] Mystery Men, Heavy Mettle, Joker (ME)

Postby Ghostwise » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:33 pm

pawsplay wrote:As far as Mink's coat goes... AFAIK there's nothing exotic about it at all. Certainly, I don't think it should stack with a force field or anything else that would imply it's a significant defense. It's bulky enough that it might help explain how she takes such a beating, and it might be as effective against energy attacks as against physical ones. But it's not really a "power." Even less so than Robin's costume. I'm not absolutely convinced it's any kind of armor at all.

AFAICT the only hint of Mink's coat being padded comes from her MSH profile in Dragon Magazine back in '89. I'd probably not have included it, *but* many of the articles apparently benefited from data from Marvel and she does seem oddly durable, so it was thrown in after all.

Your point about Black Archer's stuff being Equipment is reasonable - though I've had gone Devices - but GR's decision about Green Arrow's stuff is weird.
Ghostwise
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Ghostwise » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:53 pm

pawsplay wrote:This is one of those situations where you have a consistent Complication, like the "deaf in one ear" thing I posed a while back. Most of the official writeups avoid this kind of trait entirely. I think it's one of the weaker points of 3e. That aside, I think the Complication does work best in this situation because it helps go beyond the numbers a bit. It also means that if she earns a HP from the Complication, she can overcome it to some extent, as in the original writeup.

The HP thing from the Complication is a tad of a problem, though. For some reason Greer gets about 40% of the Hero Points other heroes would get, so giving her an extra source runs against what we're trying to do.
Ghostwise
Firebrand
Firebrand

Re: [Writeups.org] [3E] Joker, Silver Dagger, Tigra, Stallion

Postby pawsplay » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:41 pm

The non-living things she destroys: are they robots, structures, or equipment?
http://writeups.org - a big and growing collection of dual-statted character writeups!
pawsplay
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Ghostwise » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:37 pm

pawsplay wrote:The non-living things she destroys: are they robots, structures, or equipment?

It was mostly robots, IIRC. It didn't come up that often, but over the entire era covered by the three writeups she was markedly more effective if she could rip stuff to shreds, and in these stories that always meant androids.

I suppose it would also work against golems, though for some reason I don't see her getting her claws dirty doing that to zombies.

IIRC she also did that to weapons a few times, but always against inferior opponents - not suggesting a special bonus to Smash manoeuvres beyond what she gets for clawing at something without restraining herself.
Ghostwise
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby pawsplay » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:52 pm

Ghostwise wrote:
pawsplay wrote:The non-living things she destroys: are they robots, structures, or equipment?

It was mostly robots, IIRC. It didn't come up that often, but over the entire era covered by the three writeups she was markedly more effective if she could rip stuff to shreds, and in these stories that always meant androids.

I suppose it would also work against golems, though for some reason I don't see her getting her claws dirty doing that to zombies.

IIRC she also did that to weapons a few times, but always against inferior opponents - not suggesting a special bonus to Smash manoeuvres beyond what she gets for clawing at something without restraining herself.

The construction immediately suggests itself in 2e, but no use crying over old editions. So, basically, she smashes things. There doesn't seem to be a way to slip in the Reluctant modifier; if she wants to tear up in MM3e, I guess she'll just spend a HP. I threw in Improved Threat because, first of all, it's a great tool for modeling characters who occasionally just tear something to pieces, and second, it's analogous to the large column shifts she would be getting against relatively weak opponents. Speaking of which, I don't know if it's demonstrated in-panel, but she seems like the Takedown type.

My revised offering:

Claws
- Strength-based Slashing Damage 1
- Rage Against the Machine -- Strength-based Damage, Accurate, Improved Threat, Limited 1 - only vs. targets with no STA ability * Descriptor: Skill
pawsplay
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Ghostwise » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:07 am

The dual-statted entry for the Black Archer ( http://writeups.org/fiche.php?id=1196 ) had its Devices retagged as Equipment, with Paws's explanations about it added as notes.
Ghostwise
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby pawsplay » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:09 am

I was reviewing Spiderman ( http://www.writeups.org/fiche.php?id=2739 ) again. Under the Pete's Inventions notes, his Technology is still listed as +12, but was downgraded in the last revision to +11 and should be changed for consistency. I haven't figured out the best way to handle translating Regeneration yet, but Spiderman is currently listed as having Regeneration 2. I'm certain at this point that his Regeneration should be 1, in any case, reducing his point total by 1.
pawsplay
Zealot
Zealot

Postby jspade » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:54 pm

pawsplay wrote:I was reviewing Spiderman ( http://www.writeups.org/fiche.php?id=2739 ) again. Under the Pete's Inventions notes, his Technology is still listed as +12...

I'm going on memory, but wasn't the Spider-Mobile Johnny Storm's fault, not Peter's?
Jack of Spades' Builds
jspade
Collaborator
Collaborator

Postby pawsplay » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:04 pm

Trapster
Marvel Universe

The man who defeated Mister Fantastic himself!
Biography, characterisation, pictures, power description and the like at writeups.org

Abilities
Strength 01, Stamina 02, Agility 02, Dexterity 04, Fighting 03, Intellect 05, Awareness 02, Presence 01

Averaged PL 9.0

Powers
Costume Removable • 33 points • Descriptor: Technology, Chemistry
- Protection 2
- Slippery -- Enhanced Strength 2, Limited 2 (only to escape grabs, snares, and bonds); Enhanced Advantage (Second Chance [resist grab/snare])
- Sticky Hands -- Enhanced Strength 4, Limited (only for grabbing or adhering); Movement (Wall-crawling)
- Booster Jets -- Flight 3
- Chemical Jets -- Array
• Glue - Ranged Affliction 14 (Dodge to avoid, Strength/Damage effect to recover; hindered and vulnerable, immobilized and defenseless), Alternate Resistance, Extra Condition, Limited to two degrees, Limited (contact with ground), Diminished Range
• Snare - Snare 8, Diminished Range
• Slick - Ranged Affliction 11 (resisted by Dodge or Acrobatics; hindered and vulnerable, prone and stunned), Alternate Resistance, Extra Condition, Limited to two degrees, Limited (contact with ground), Diminished Range
• Acid Jet -- Ranged Damage 7, Diminished Range
• Nullify Adhesives 14, Diminished Range
Bag of Traps Array • Removable • 30 points • Descriptor: Technology
• Asbestos Tape -- Snare 8, Feature (fire damage is halved against tape), Diminished Range
• Energy Sphere -- Ranged Damage 8, Quirk (Str-based Range)
• Paralysis-Paste Globe -- Ranged Affliction 11 (hindered and vulnerable, immobilized and defenseless, paralyzed), Alternate Resistance (Dodge to avoid, Damage/Sleight of Hand to recover), Extra Condition, Quirk (Str-based Range)
• Razor Drones -- Summon 4, Active, Controlled, Horde, Multiple Minions 3
Razor Drones (x6)
STR -2, STA -, AGI 0, DEX 0, INT -, AWE -5, PRE -; Affliction 8 (Dodge to avoid, Damage/Sleight of Hand to escape; hindered and vulnerable, defenseless and immobilized; Accurate 5, Extra Condition, Limited to one degree; AE: Damage 3, Accuracy 5), Immunity 30 (Fortitude), Protection 8, Shrinking 10 (Innate, Permanent); Offense: Init +0, Slice +10 Close (Damage 3), Glue +10 Close (Affliction 8 ); Defense: Dodge 10, Parry 10, Fort -, Will -, Tou 8. 18 points.
• Sonic Sound Dart -- Dazzle (Auditory) 5, Quirk (Str-based Range)
• Unstable Molecule Neutralizer -- Weaken Elongation 9 (resisted by Dodge), Limited 2 (only on target wearing unstable molecules), Accurate, Alternate Resistance, Diminished Range 3
• Vibro-shock Pulsator -- Damage 8, Str-based Range, Secondary Effect, Quirk (secondary effect can be avoided by destroying the pulsator or nullifying its adhesive)

Combat Advantages
Defensive Roll 2, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4

Other Advantages
Equipment 6, Inventor

Skills
Athletics 3 (+4), Close Combat: Unarmed 4 (+7), Deception 1 (+2), Expertise: Criminal 3 (+8), Expertise: Science 8 (+13), Expertise: Science 4 (+17, Limited to chemistry), Insight 4 (+6), Perception 5 (+7), Persuasion 1 (+2), Ranged Combat: Chemical sprays 4 (+12), Ranged Combat: Thrown weapons 4 (+12), Technology 11 (+16), Vehicles 4 (+8, Limited to land and air vehicles)

Equipment
- Van-launched trapper missile -- Size M, STR 0, Flight 8, DEF 10, TOU 10; Remote Controls; Area (burst) Damage 10 ( Limited 2 [blows up missile]), Senses (Ranged Detect Heat Signature) • 29 points

Offense
Initiative +2
Unarmed +7, Close, Damage 1
Various devices +12, Ranged, see above

Defense
Dodge 9, Parry 7
Toughness 6/4*/2**, Fortitude 7, Will 4
* Without Defensive Roll.
** Without Defensive Roll or costume.

Complications
Greed-- Trapster is easily lured by the attraction of wealth.

Power levels
Trade-off areas. Attack & Effect PL 13, Dodge/Toughness PL 8, Parry/Toughness PL 7, Fort & Will PL 6.
Point total 160 Abilities 40, Defences 18, Skills 26, Powers 63, Advantages 13. Equiv. PL 11.

Notes
As Paste-Pot Pete he initially had a bucket of his paste, with a tube leading out of it to his special gun.
- Paste Gun - Ranged Affliction 12 (Dodge to avoid, Strength/Damage effect to recover; hindered and vulnerable, immobilized and defenseless), Alternate Resistance, Extra Condition, Limited to two degrees, Limited (contact with ground), Diminished Range • Easily Removable

He later changed this to the paste being stored in a container held on the back of his costume, with a tube leading to the gun, and an infrared sniper scope :
- Paste Gun - Ranged Affliction 12 (Dodge to avoid, Strength/Damage effect to recover; hindered and vulnerable, immobilized and defenseless), Alternate Resistance, Extra Condition, Limited to two degrees, Limited (contact with ground), Diminished Range; Senses (Infrared Vision) • Easily Removable

Don’t Call Me Paste-Pot Pete -- The Trapster has gone through periods of seriously fluctuating confidence. The above stats cover him in his confident phases. When suffering from self-doubt, his Will is only 3, his Dodge is only 7, and he loses one rank of Defensive Roll.
He first suffered a serious drop to his confidence during his time in the Frightful Four, after Medusa left the group, and he only had brief periods of true self-confidence during the following years. Following his capture of Mr. Fantastic on behalf of the Enclave, he again regained his confidence, and retained it through his time working for the Gideon Trust. After escaping the Negative Zone, his confidence was again shattered.
pawsplay
Zealot
Zealot

Postby pawsplay » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:06 pm

jspade wrote:
pawsplay wrote:I was reviewing Spiderman ( http://www.writeups.org/fiche.php?id=2739 ) again. Under the Pete's Inventions notes, his Technology is still listed as +12...

I'm going on memory, but wasn't the Spider-Mobile Johnny Storm's fault, not Peter's?

Not so much. Not to bring up a sore subject, but Wikipedia sez:

Spider-Mobile

Corona Motors approaches Spider-Man through the advertising agency Carter & Lombardo, offering him use of a new nonpolluting motor they had invented and wished to promote, to be installed in a "Spider-Mobile" of his design.[73] Initially reluctant but tempted by the promised endorsement fees, Spider-Man enlists the aid of Johnny Storm, aka the Human Torch, in creating the vehicle; a heavily customized dune buggy with web-launchers and a spider-signal. It debuted in The Amazing Spider-Man #130. It proves useful for a time but is quickly wrecked (Spider-Man having not yet learned to drive). The Tinkerer (with support from the Kingpin), salvages and modifies it further to allow it to drive itself and drive up walls, and he uses it against Spider-Man, who barely manages to disable it. Spider-Man returns the heavily damaged vehicle to Carter & Lombardo, suspending it with webbing outside the window of their 14th-story offices.[74] Spider-Man, who had never been enthused by the project, looks back on the entire affair with some regret, repeatedly calling the Spider-Mobile "hokey".

Most recently, the Spider-Mobile made a brief cameo appearance,[75] and an appearance in the flashback series Spider-Man and Human Torch.

It is revealed that the Spider-Mobile had been donated to the Smithsonian Museum.[76] However, it is also seen later in the 18th precinct's "superhuman evidence locker,"[77] which might suggest that the exhibit featuring the vehicle was discontinued.

According to the flash forward featured in the 'Old Man Logan' storyline starting in Wolverine #66, in a certain future a blind Hawkeye currently owns the Spider-Mobile and has customized it with the aid of one of his ex-wives. Hawkeye uses it to transport himself and Logan across the country to make a delivery.[78]
pawsplay
Zealot
Zealot

Postby BlindPugh » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:02 am

Love Trapster. Always great to see him, I love that complication too.
When realities collide- Quicksilver With thanks to Tatooedman.
Shadow war- Bill Sakowski
Toronto's greatest heroes- Green Ronin
BlindPugh
Compatriot
Compatriot

Postby Ghostwise » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:56 am

Lots of delay due to work on writeups.org version 2012 combined with a bad sneezing allergy.

The current test bed for the text styling of a dual-statted is here - http://writeups.org/test/fiche.php?id=5349 . Note that the images are too small - they're the images from the current version of the site, sized for a smaller page.

Previously I used a layout similar to the DCH one for uniformity, but that's less necessary with the 2012 version of the site so I've gone for a Green Ronin-style layout. I'm still not completely sure about the details, but that sounds like a safe choice and DCA stats benefit from a lot more structure than the DCH ones.

Thoughts ?

(post edited to reflect new layout in this entry).
Ghostwise
Firebrand
Firebrand

PreviousNext

Return to Roll Call