Builds, builds, builds! (2e, yo!)

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.
dwellerofthedeep
Zealot
Zealot

Re: Builds, builds, builds! (2e, yo!)

Postby dwellerofthedeep » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:36 am

No kidding. This setting seems bigger than my house--if you know what I mean.
Character Carnival!
My Blog
"If I have to give up a kidney I'll be okay because I'll still have Mutants and Masterminds."

Insurgent Phoenix
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Insurgent Phoenix » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:39 am

Yojimbo28 wrote:Crazy stuff. You have a talent for coining interesting phrases and word pictures. Corpsestar? Heavenfleet? I want to learn more.[/qoute]

Um, thanks. I must confess, though, I'm basically nowhere near as creative as some of the posters here.

I am wondering what play would be like in this setting. No wealth, no homophobia or racism, etc.... who are the bad guys and what do they do?

Evil doesn't need money; political power-structures still exist, and power has always a great draw to sinister people. Homophobia and racism do not exist, yeah....but classism, nationalism, and xenophobia still do. And by xenophobia, I'm referring to that utterly bullshit notion from the 1960s "Seperate But Equal" claptrap: i.e., the idea that differing cultures and ethnicities should never, ever mingle. It's racism, alright....just dressed up in a superficially friendly package.

War is still there; I believe warfare is innate to the Human condition, and as such, sentient alien species would likely be the same way.

There are countless other things for PCs to do, but I'll leave it at this, for now. If you want an idea what a post-scarcity society without racism or homophobia, please see the VERY excellent RPG Eclipse Phase.

Insurgent Phoenix
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Insurgent Phoenix » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:41 am

dwellerofthedeep wrote:No kidding. This setting seems bigger than my house--if you know what I mean.

:( I hope you don't feel I'm plagerizing you, dwellerofthedeep. (If anything, I'm plagerizing Eclipse Phase.)

dwellerofthedeep
Zealot
Zealot

Postby dwellerofthedeep » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:44 am

Don't worry about that. I just meant that I like the scale of this setting. I'm feeling like its insanely huge.

No I don't feel like you're plagiarizing me, what gave you that idea?
Character Carnival!
My Blog
"If I have to give up a kidney I'll be okay because I'll still have Mutants and Masterminds."

Insurgent Phoenix
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Insurgent Phoenix » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:03 am

dwellerofthedeep wrote:Don't worry about that. I just meant that I like the scale of this setting. I'm feeling like its insanely huge.

No I don't feel like you're plagiarizing me, what gave you that idea?

Ehn, I guess I'm just being paranoid. I'm really inspired by your work, dwellerofthedeep, and I'm really trying to capture the feel of epic SF without stealing your concepts. I guess I'm just worried my stuff isn't original enough.

Insurgent Phoenix
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Insurgent Phoenix » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:09 am

HUMAN TECH: The science of Man
As Humanity reached the stars, they were a minor nothing-species set against a backdrop of innumerable all-powerful xenobreeds. Humanity might have remained a meaningless mote, had it not been for the Eeeg. For reasons still unclear, the Eeeg took a liking to Man; Humans were the first to receive apotheosis as ra-Eeeg, a fact many xenos still seethe over. The Eeeg gave Humanity the barest essentials of Tesseract technology---table crumbs, really---but that was enough to catapult Homo sapiens to their current top dog position.

Compared to genuine Tesseract tech, Human science is pathetic and inconsequential....but to every other sentient species, Humanity is in possession of impossible wonders. What follows is but a bare glimpse of what Humanity has achieved.

[]Weaponry:
Solarean firearms: Device +2 (Easy to Lose; Feats: Restricted x1 [Humans, ra-Eeeg and Eeeg only])
A VERY powerful gun, a Solarean firearm resembles a heavy pistol made entirely of synthetic chrome-look-a-like. It never needs reloading, but drains its user severely after prolonged use.
Powers:
Blast +10 (Flaws: Tiring)
Communication Link +5 (with any other wielders of a unit of synchronized Solarean firearms)
Last edited by Insurgent Phoenix on Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Insurgent Phoenix
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Insurgent Phoenix » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:46 am

TEMPLATES: Human
In a setting as mamoth as the 9 Houses of Sol, a bewildering variety of beings exist. While no one can ever hope to cover them all---even me----here I'll present a tiny sampling of Human templates for GMs to use:

Template: Human Machinator Array enginseer
Template Type: Obsessed with noetic technology, cybernetics and golems, the Machinator Array is a vast, epic-sized space-fleet that wanders between the Houses of Sol and Zeus, raiding worlds for their tech and then moving on. Upon conquering the House of Mars, however, the discovery of pre-Human Martian noetic science led to a Machinator renaissance of innovation and experimentation. The enginseers, cyber-assisted oracles, are one such result.
Stats: +8 to Int, -6 to Chr
Combat: +1 to BAB; +1 to Defense
Feats: Artificer (uses noetics, NOT magic), Favored Environment (Martian Wombcreches), Inventor
Skills: Crafts (electronic) MUST be at least a +4; Crafts (mechanical) MUST be at least a +4; Knowledge (noetics) MUST be at least a +10; Knowledge (tech) MUST be at least a +10
Powers:
Enhanced Intelligence +10 (Flaws: Limited [only for forecasting future events])
Mind Shield +5 (Feats: Innate; Flaws: Limited [only against noetic attacks by cygolems or other enginseers])
Super-Movement +2 (dimensional movement x1 [Godmesh only])
Telepathy +2 (Flaws: Limited [only with cygolems and other enginseers])
Points Total For Template: 38pp

Template: Human Plutonian zealot
Template Type: The Nothinghouse of Pluto is that last segment of Humanity that tenaciously clings to the hatreds and superstitions of the ancient past. Almost entirely Neo-Christian, the Plutonians reject xenobreeds and xenomixing, noetics, and all but the simplest Tesseract technology. They primitive Old Earth-era machinery, utilize no golems, and kill all the superhumans they find amidst the numbers.
Stat: -2 to Int, -2 to Wis
Feats: Diehard, Endurance, Favored Environment (zero-G)
Skills: Knowledge (theology and philosphy) MUST be at least a +4
Powers: n/a
Point Total For Template: 2pp

Template: Human Heavenfleet Pathfinder
Template Type: The Heavenfleets roam the star-lanes, seeking out bizarre new worlds and glorious new horizons. Despite the scorn they receive from the Houses, the Heavenfleets keep at it. The type of pilot used for these journeys is known as a Pathfinder, chosen because of a unique set of powers and training. Pathfinders're insanely brave and charming, and are willing to give anything a shot at least once.
Stats:
+4 to Dex, +6 to Int +1 to Chr
Feats:
Fearless, Favored Environment (zero-G), Skill Focus (Drive, Knowledge [xenobreeds], Pilot, Ride), Speed of Thought
Skills:
Drive MUST be at least a +8; Knowledge (xenobreeds) MUST be at least a +4; Pilot MUST be at least a +12; Ride MUST be at least a +4
Powers:
Features +1 (temporal inertia)
Super-Senses +2 (precognition [Flaw: Limited (only to aid in plotting Qu-jumps)])
Points Total For Template: 25pp

Template: Human noesis-monk
Template Type: Although religion is dying out, meditation and mystical self-mastery is on the rise, thanks to noetics and the various Seeds. As generic-themed superpowers are so common everywhere you look, it was only natural that orders of secular monks would arise, forsaking a comfortable life for the psychic benefits this asceticism brings. This is a generic Human noesis-monk; for specific orders and their special techniques, please customize as you see fit.
Stats:
+4 to Dex, +4 to Wis
Feats:
Blind-Fighting, Second Chance (either Reflex or Will saves [choose one]), Trance
Skills: Concentration MUST be at least a +6; Knowledge (noetics) MUST be at least a +4; Knowledge (xenobreeds) MUST be at least a +2
Powers:
All noesis-monks are trained as follows: Mind Shield +4, Telepathy +1 (Flaws: Limited [only other noesis-monks])
Point Total For Template: 20pp
Last edited by Insurgent Phoenix on Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Insurgent Phoenix
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Insurgent Phoenix » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:27 pm

NAME: Gaea, Mother of Flesh
H: 6'6"
W: 200 lbs
Eyes: Blue
Hair: Black
Skin: Arabic-looking
PHENOTYPE: n/a; has never been subjected to any real amount of genemodding
SEED-ACTIVATED?: Yes; Blueseed
SPECIES: Ur-Gaean (a xenomix species; half-Human, half-Eeeg)
SPECIES-CLADE: Ra-Eeeg
SEPT: Heavily affiliated with thousands of Gaea House septs
HEAVENFLEET AFFILIATION: A member in good-standing of all 7 Gaea House Heavenfleets
HELLFLEET AFFILIATION: n/a
STARNATIOON: The Plutocracy of the Inward Flesh
STARNATION TYPE: Autocratic dictatorship with fascist undertones
----------
POWER LEVEL: 10
POWER POINTS: 150
----------
ATTRIBUTES:[]
Str: 10 (+0)
Dex: 12 (+1)
Con: 12 (+1)
Int: 20 (+5)
Wis: 15 (+3)
Chr: 28 (+9)
----------
SAVES:[]
Tou: +5
Fort: +5
Ref: +1
Will: +5
----------
COMBAT:[]
BAB: +0/+1
Defense: 11
----------
SKILLS:[]
Acrobatics (base: +1) +2, Concentration (base: +4) +5, Climbing (base: +1) +1, Crafts (woodworking) (base: +8) +9, Knowledge (biology) (base: +8) +13, Knowledge (xenobreeds) (base: +8) +13, Survival (base: +1) +2, Swim (base: +1) +1
----------
FEATS:
Inventer, Jack-of-all-Trades, Leadership, Master Plan, Teamwork
----------
POWERS:[]
Communication Link +8 (with her son Antaeus)
Immunity +2 (starvation and thirst; Flaws: Limited [half-effect])
Immunity +1 (aging)
Variable Power +10 (any one power at a time of the "biosculpting" descriptor; Flaws: Key [Seeds])

Insurgent Phoenix
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Insurgent Phoenix » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:36 pm

NAME: Karey Jaspers
GENDER: Always female (why would she use filthy Tesseract-machines, anyways?)
H: 5'5"
W: 120 lbs
Eyes: Grey
Hair: Brown
Skin: Caucasian-looking
PHENOTYPE: n/a; she's an old-fashioned Homo sapiens sapiens
SEED-ACTIVATED?: n/a; she's merely Human
SPECIES: A totally unaltered, baseline Human
SPECIES-CLADE: n/a; she would never willingly let a genemod within a mile of herself
SEPT: n/a; she's Plutonian
HEAVENFLEET AFFILIATION: n/a; she's Plutonian
HELLFLEET ASSOCIATION: Too many to list; she IS Plutonian
STARNATION: The Starfarer Alliance
STARNATION TYPE: Decentralized theocratic nightmare-state
----------
POWER LEVEL: 7
POWER POINTS: 75
----------
ATTRIBUTES:[]
Str: 13 (+2)
Dex: 17 (+4)
Con: 13 (+2)
Int: 14 (+2)
Wis: 12 (+1)
Chr: 18 (+4)
----------
SAVES:[]
Tou: +4
Fort: +4
Ref: +4
Will: +2
----------
COMBAT:[]
BAB: +5/+9
Defense: 15
----------
SKILLS:[]
Acrobatics (base: +4) +6, Climb (base: +2) +6, Gather Information (base: +4) +8, Languages +2 (base: Old Earth English; others: New Sol, aYayan), Pilot (base: +4) +8, Profession (anti-Tesseract terrorist) (base: +2) +8
----------
FEATS:[]
Benefit (status [feared Plutonian terrorist]), Teamwork, Well-Connected
----------
POWERS:[]
Device +3 (Easy to Lose) <Her second-greatest shame is her possession and consistant use of of a Tesseract psi-wand.>
Immunity +1 (aging, need to breathe; Flaws: Limited [half-effect]) <Karey's greatest shame is that she secretly absorbed 2% of a Blueseed, making her a borderline superhuman in only the tiniest of ways.>

Karey's psi-wand: Device +3
Powers:
Enhanced Feats: Attractive x1, Beginner's Luck, Leadership, Master Plan
Mental Blast +5
+]AP: Mind Reading +10

Insurgent Phoenix
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Insurgent Phoenix » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:06 pm

A ROUGH TIMELINE FOR THE 9 HOUSES OF SOL:
The Age of Clay: Our early 21st-century Earth. Superhumanity was yet far off in the distance. Ends in 2109 AD, and is followed by the Age of Bronze.

The Age of Bronze: In 2109 AD, Man is contacted by an Eeeg of unknown identity, who, in a 24-hour period known as the Day of Foundation, imbues 17 Human adults (9 male and 6 female) with ra-Eeeg status. Thus is superhumanity introduced into the Human genepool. These 17 ra-Eeeg d the usual superhero thing for many decades---but they also fall in love and start families, and the first "true" natal superhumans are born. Ends in 2188 AD, and is followed by the Age of Iron.

The Age of Iron: In 2188 AD, the Eeeg give Humanity a Qu-engine, Tesseract weaponry and a very comprehensive star-map of the Milky Way Galaxy, and then withdraws from our affairs. We burst onto the galactic scene, but don't get much respect. For countless centuries, Humanity expands in all directions, forming 9 generic proto-cultures: The foundations of what will become the Houses. Our calender is abandoned fairly early on in the Age of Iron, and given Man's never-ending Diaspora, dating past this point becomes very difficult. Followed by the Age of Silver.

The Age of Silver: An era of constant innovation in all fields of endeavor, the Age of Silver was, in many ways, a paradisical time for Man. The 9 Houses started to coalesce, but there were many hold-outs. The Age of Silver ends with the cataclysmic Golhagga Inversion, followed by the Age of Gold.

The Golhagga Inversion: A nearly 300-year-long war between the inhabitants of the Milky Way Galaxy and the bizarre, nigh-omnipotent inhabitants of a realm known as the Mirror. Ended due to the brave actions of Raphael Blue, resulting in total anti-essence defeat and depowering, the destruction of the Mirror and the quasi-resurrection of the entire Golhagga species. Followed by the Age of Gold.

The Age of Gold: The current Age. Society rebuilds in the wake of the Golhagga Inversion, and the sixty-one conspirators of the Nothinghouse of Pluto make a devil's deal with Chh'oorrd, hidden Star-Pentacle of the Chained Nebula. Another disaster now looms, and no one has a single clue.
Last edited by Insurgent Phoenix on Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Insurgent Phoenix
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Insurgent Phoenix » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:17 pm

TEMPLATES: Xenos
ALIENS! Yes, aliens. In the Milky Way Galaxy, Humanity only makes up 55% of all sentient life, meaning a LOT of xenobreeds are out there, doing their own thing. What follows is a tiny sampling of templates for various xenobreeds. GMs, please customize to your liking.

Template: Anti-essences
Template Type: The native noetic sentiences of the Mirror, anti-essences are driven to consume anything living they come across, as this makes them perpetually stronger and stronger and stronger. Virtually nothing is known of their culture OR the Mirror itself, save that the Mirror was a bizarre parallel reality operating on VERY different laws of physics. This template assumes an anti-essence has somehow kept his or her abilities after the end of the Inversion, as otherwise anti-essences would be merely powerless, ineffectual ghoosts.
Stats: +5 to Wis
Feats: Favored Opponents (the Golhagga)
Skills: +6 to Concentration, +6 to Knowledge (noetics)
Powers:
Grafting +10 (Extras: Continuous; Flaws: Limited [must eat prey to use Grafting])
Immunity +3 (aging; temporal effects; Flaws: Limited [half-effect])
Immunity +9 (life support)
Insubstantial +1 (Extras: Continuous; Flaws: Permanent)
Space Travel +8
Points Total For Template: 176pp

Template: AYayan
Template Type: The aYayoi xenobreed has consistantly been Humanity's dearest friends and supporters, even during the nightmarish events of the Golhagga Inversion, the War of Wars and the conquest of the House of Mars. Avian-looking but very humanish, aYayoi enjoy conversation, negotiation and diplomacy so much they've even enshrined it as their religion.
Stats: Cha +2
Feats: Attractive x1, Benefit (wealth), Favored Environment (high altitudes)
Powers:
Features +2 (feathers; suited for high altitudes)
Flight +4 (Drawbacks: Power Loss [if wings are immobilized])
+]AP: Strike +7 (aYayoi wing-talons; Drawbacks: Power Loss [if wings are immobilized])
Points Total For Template: 10pp

Template: Golhagga (pre-Inversion)
Template Type: Formerly a Stone Age civilization, the slow, ponderous Golhagga discovered that their entire homeworld was laced with Eeeg noetic picocircuitry, allowing those first Golhagga discovers to tap into nigh-infinite power. Spreading out from their homeworld of Golhg, the Golhagga discovered that there was a limit to their awesome power: Once beyond the outermost limit of the Corpsestars----the maximum transmitting range of Golhg's picocircuitry----Golhagga swiftly lost their omnipotence and became merely mortal. Turning inwards, the entire Golhagga race became noetic mystics seeking an ever-greater understanding of Tesseract miracles. The Golhagga are VERY diverse, physically speaking, and so this version of their template will only deal with their feats and powers.
Feats: Artificer (uses noetics, NOT magic), Inventor, Ritualist (uses noetics, NOT magic)
Powers:
Growth +1 (Extras: Continuous; Feats: Innate; Flaws: Permanent)
Super-Movement +6 (temporal movement x3 [anywhen in time])
Variable Power +10 (any number of traits at once of the "noetic" descriptor)
Drawbacks:
Power Loss (when leaving the Corpsestars, a Golhagga loses all powers save for Growth, and their Artificer and Ritualist feats also shut down)
Points Total For Template: 89pp

Template: Golhagga wraith (post-Inversion)
Template Type: When the anti-essences ate the entire Golhagga species, the slow, peaceful mystics used their awesome powers to submerge their psyches inside the very beings that devoured them, hoping to redeem these monsters through self-sacrifice. After Raphael defeated the anti-essences, the freed Golhagga wraiths had nowhere to go but home. Reanimating their partially-eaten corpses, the Golhagga are now a dreary undead people, listless and tired. Their once-mighty powers have withered, and now only ritualized murder can make their "spells" and Tesseract-machines work.
Notes: When statting up post-Inversion Golhagga, please ignore the pre-Inversion Golhagga template and use this one instead.
Feats: Inventor
Powers:
Enhanced Feats: Artificer, Ritualist (Drawbacks: Power Loss [if not performed with the blood of a fresh sentient sacrifice])
Immunity +31 (aging, all Fortitude effects)
Shrinking +2 (Extras: Continuous; Feats: Innate; Flaws: Permanent)
Super-Movement +2 (dimensional movement x1 [the Godmesh only]; Flaws: Limited [must leave corpse-body behind and ever the Godmesh as a powerless ghost])
Points Total For Template: 36pp
Last edited by Insurgent Phoenix on Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Insurgent Phoenix
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Insurgent Phoenix » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:06 am

As a note:
I keep going back and modifying old posts, especially setting material, templates and Devices. So, even when this thread appears at first blush to have no new activity, it's usually a wrong assumption.

ladydragonfly
Henchman
Henchman

Postby ladydragonfly » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:20 am

Insurgent Phoenix wrote:Template: AYayan
Template Type: The aYayoi xenobreed has consistantly been Humanity's dearest friends and supporters, even during the nightmarish events of the Golhagga Inversion, the War of Wars and the conquest of the House of Mars. Avian-looking but very humanish, aYayoi enjoy conversation, negotiation and diplomacy so much they've even enshrined it as their religion.
Stats: Cha +2
Feats: Attractive x1, Benefit (wealth), Favored Environment (high altitudes)
Powers:
Features +2 (feathers; suited for high altitudes)
Flight +4 (Drawbacks: Power Loss [if wings are immobilized])
+]AP: Strike +16 (aYayoi wing-talons; Drawbacks: Power Loss [if wings are immobilized])
Points Total For Template: 10pp

I wanted to point out a minor flaw/mistake? in this build. The cost of your Flight is 7pp. So your strike is limited to that same. So at the most the strike of an Ayayan is +6 (due to the powerloss) . You have it listed as +16. :shock:
Last edited by ladydragonfly on Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Insurgent Phoenix
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Insurgent Phoenix » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:21 am

Ahhhh, poopy, I knew I'd made a mistake somewhere. Thanks! I'll go correct it, now.

ladydragonfly
Henchman
Henchman

Postby ladydragonfly » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:58 am

Insurgent Phoenix wrote:As a note:
I keep going back and modifying old posts, especially setting material, templates and Devices. So, even when this thread appears at first blush to have no new activity, it's usually a wrong assumption.

Keep us up to date and let us know what kind of changes you have made to your thread then. :D

Return to “Roll Call”