Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

scc 3rd Edition Builds: Batmanverse...Tally Man!!

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.

Re: scc 3rd Edition Builds(100th Build: Shuma-Gorath!!)

Postby scc » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:31 pm

It's not easy to figure out where to put these guys. Basically Shuma is PL 20 outside his dimension and PL 22 within. He does have a complication though for when he is first awakened I would say he is anywhere from PL 17-19. I know Sise Neg did not want to confront him directly and banished Shuma who wasn't aware of his presence.
Not sure when I will do other builds like Shuma, though I do plan on building the In-Betweener sometime. I really like your build of him. I know one member of the Vishanti fought Galactus briefly. So as individuals I would put them at PL 20 or so. They didn't want to confront Shuma-Gorath but that could be for multiple reasons. Satannish I would put anywhere from PL 17-18. Dormammu anywhere from PL 17-19 depending. That character has really good and really bad showings but he created Satannish so he would definitely be more powerful. A full power Galactus I would put at PL 26 or so. Maybe some traits of these characters would be PL X since it seems Galactus can empower any number of individuals. Like the writeup for the Spectre said what PL would you give someone who can hold open a black hole? I haven't gave much thought to how I would build other cosmics. I know normally most of these characters cannot be beaten down physically by groups of heroes. It took Thor all he had to puncture a Celestial's armor which would give it a bruised condition at best. Though I hear Celestials have had bad showings lately. I love talking about this stuff so if you have any more questions I would be glad to answer them.
scc
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Jabroniville » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:40 pm

Hm, I'd need to see a few more 'typical" builds of certain characters to be sure the exact PL structure you're using. It's certainly higher than mine (which is fine), so I'd be curious to see your Spidey, Thor, Hulk, Iron Man, etc. Those guys are good indicators to determine exactly where your PL scale sits- I put Galactus at PL 21 because a PL 14 Thor would be having a HELL of a time trying to even hurt him (similarly to a PL 20 Celestial)- Shuma-Gorath was lower because while I haven't read any of his stories, they seem to contain a lot of semi-tainted losses against Dr. Strange, who is PL 13-14 to me. Your Monster Guy builds seem to be PL 12+, while your Jobbers are about as powerful as mine (PL 7-9).
Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby scc » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:57 pm

It's possible that I would change PL over time once I get other characters built. What made my Shuma-Gorath build get to PL 22 is it's growth while in it's own dimension. I have it limited but I still figured he would get a decent strength and toughness boost. Shuma-Gorath does have a sliding PL scale kind of like Galactus would outside his dimension. Strange did beat him there however. But Dr. Strange went down a dark path and absorbed the power off of one of Shuma-Gorath's most powerful minions. So I think that would have put Strange in the PL 17-18 category. Shuma-Gorath created a small replica of earth which it attacked which caused death and destruction around the globe. Strange protected it and Shuma mentioned that he couldn't be protector and destroyer. Strange eventually used the globe as a weapon against Shuma-Gorath and destroyed it which I am sure surprised the Chaos Lord. This too resulted in death and destruction around the globe. Then Strange destroyed himself, or at least his ego so not to become Shuma-Gorath. Before that he killed his own mentor to prevent Shuma-Gorath from coming to this dimension. He did loose to Strange off panel when he was fighting the Fantastic Four. Just banished however. Not sure if he was part of the cancer dimension in that big cosmic crossover though some think so.
Not sure if I will build any of the heroes but I should be building some better known villians you should know. I think our PL from the low to mid end would be similar, perhaps off one PL here and there. Just off the top of my head Spidey would be PL 12 for me due to his defense.
scc
Zealot
Zealot

Postby scc » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:38 am

Sligguth
PL 9.5

Abilities
Strength 7, Stamina 8, Agility 0, Dexterity 1, Fighting 6, Intellect 1, Awareness 1, Presence 3

Powers
Spawn of Set:
Aquatic: Immunity 3 [Cold, Drowning, Pressure ], Movement 1 [Environmental Adaption(Aquatic)], Swimming 2 -7 pts
Curses of the Fiends of Fungal Thopa: Weaken 5 [Weaken Stamina(Resisted by Fort); Continuous, Range; Incurable, Noticeable(Fungal Growths)] -25 pts
Comprehend 4 [Languages] -8 pts
Demon: Immunity 1 [Aging], Immortality 1 -3 pts
Growth 1 [Permanent; Innate] -3 pts
Reptilian Senses: Senses 3 [Low-light Vision, Scent(Acute, Accurate)] -3 pts

Advantages
All-out Attack
Artificer
Benefit 1 [Worshiped by the Cult of Sligguth]
Daze 1 [Intimidate]
Power Attack
Ritualist
Startle

Skills
Athletics 2 (+9), Close Combat: Unarmed 3 (+9), Deception (+3), Expertise: Magic 7 (+8), Expertise: History 5 (+6), Insight (+1), Intimidation 5 (+8), Perception 4 (+5), Persuasion (+3), Ranged Combat: Curses of the Fiends of Fungal Thopa 7 (+8), Stealth 3 (+2)

Offense
Initiative +0
Curses of the Fiends of Fungal Thopa +8, Rank 5, Resisted by Fort(Weaken Stamina), Cont, Incurable
Unarmed +9, Damage 7

Defense
Dodge 7, Parry 9
Toughness 8, Fortitude 10, Will 9

Power Points
Abilities 50 + Powers 49 + Advantages 7 + Skills 18 + Defenses 20 = Total 144

Complications
Bloodlust: Like many demons Sligguth enjoys human sacrifice.
Enemy: Dr. Strange.
Power Loss: The Rains of Raggodor nullifies the effects of Fungal Thopa.
Responsibility: Agent of Shuma-Gorath.
Quirk: Prefers physical combat over magical.

Design Notes
This is Sligguth an offspring of Set and minion of Shuma-Gorath. Offensively he is PL 8 unarmed. Defensively he is PL 9.5 due to Will and Fortitude. In the distant past he and Set escaped to another dimension though their physical forms were destroyed by the Demogorge. Sligguth was worshiped by the Serpent Men of Starksboro in New England who centuries ago found a serpent-twined inverted cross. Over time they grew to worship Sligguth and killed any who did not which included sacrifices to the demon. The Serpent Men devised a plot to bring Dr. Strange to Starksboro since he was a threat to Shuma-Gorath. The dark aura surrounding the town greatly diminished Dr. Strange's abilities. He was about to be sacrificed to Sligguth but the Cloak of Levitation helped him escape his bonds and the Ancient One lent his power to Strange to drive Sligguth back to the catacombs where he resides. Later as Dr. Strange was battling Sligguth he called upon the power of the Vishanti who nullified the dark aura surrounding the town. Strange knocked out Sligguth with a large cross and covered it's gills to drown and kill it. Sligguth has shown up recently however at the Devil's Advocacy group.

Sligguth was able to give Dr. Strange a hard time due to the dark aura surrounding Starksboro. Some magical abilities he displayed were granted to him by Shuma-Gorath, except it's Fungal Thopa spell which isn't very high but a continuous drain stamina effect is pretty deadly. It prefers physical combat but isn't that tough. Strange knocked it out with the serpent-twined cross. So it's toughness save isn't that high. It was actually statted up in the old Marvel Super Heroes rpg but they seemed really high giving him amazing strength and monstrous endurance. But Sligguth wasn't anywhere near that powerful in the comics. I gave Sligguth artificer since I would guess he created the serpent-twined cross which corrupted and changed the people of Starksboro and ritualist since it would seem that Sligguth and his minions as well as other demons helped create the dark aura surrounding the town.
scc
Zealot
Zealot

Re: scc 3rd Edition Builds(Shuma-Gorath Minion Sligguth)

Postby scc » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:04 pm

N'Gabthoth
PL 9.5

Abilities
Strength 7, Stamina 9, Agility 0, Dexterity 0, Fighting 6, Intellect 1, Awareness 1, Presence 1

Powers
The Shambler from the Sea:
Aquatic: Immunity [Cold, Drowning, Pressure], Movement 1 [Environmental Adaption(Aquatic)], Swimming 2 -7 pts
Comprehend 4 [Languages(Understand)] -4 pts
Demon: Immunity 2 [Aging, Starvation and Thirst] -2 pts
Mystical Blast: Blast 10 [Magic] -20 pts
Sucker-Disced Hands: Enhanced Trait 4 [Athletics; Limited(Climbing only)], Enhanced Advantages 1 [Fast Grab] -2 pts

Advantages
Ritualist
Startle

Skills
Athletics (+7), Close Combat: Unarmed 1 (+7), Deception (+1), Expertise: Magic 5 (+6), Insight (+1), Intimidation 6 (+7), Perception 4 (+5), Persuasion (+1), Ranged Combat: Mystical Blast 8 (+8), Stealth (+0)

Offense
Initiative +0
Mystical Blast +8, Damage 10
Unarmed +7, Damage 7

Defense
Dodge 7, Parry 7
Toughness 9, Fortitude 10, Will 9

Power Points
Abilities 50 + Powers 35 + Advantages 2 + Skills 12 + Defenses 17 = Total 116

Complications
Bloodlust: Enjoys human sacrifice.
Disability: Appears to be mute.
Responsibility: Minion of Shuma-Gorath.

Design Notes
This is N'Gabthoth a minion of Shuma-Gorath. Offensively it is PL 9 using it's mystical blast. Defensively it is PL 9.5 due to Will and Fortitude. Not much is known about N'Gabthoth. It awakened after countless eons upon Sligguth's apparent death. It followed the chanting of Ebora and the serpent men who were sacrificing Wong and Clea. Dr. Strange came to their rescuebut could not handle the power of N'Gabthoth since he was still weakened by the dark aura surrounding Starksboro. However the Ancient One helped Strange from afar adding his power to his protege. With the Ancient One's power added to his own he was able to banich the Shambler into the primal ooze from whence it came.

N'Gabthoth probably has other powers since Strange was worried about the Shambler touching Wong and Clea with it's fingers. Perhaps it has a weaken effect. I gave it some powers it didn't display due to it's suction cup fingers. Along with Sliigguth it was responsible for the dark aura surrounding Starksboro.
scc
Zealot
Zealot

Re: scc 3rd Edition Builds(Shuma-Gorath Minion N'Gabthoth)

Postby scc » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:54 pm

Dagoth
PL 10

Abilities
Strength 9, Stamina 9, Agility 3, Dexterity 1, Fighting 7, Intellect 1, Awareness 2, Presence 3

Powers
The Sea Demon:
Aquatic: Movement 1 [Environmetal Adaption(Aquatic)], Swimming 4 -6 pts
Comprehend 4 [Languages] -8 pts
Demon: Immunity 11 [Aging, Life Support] -11 pts
Mind Control 10 [Limited 3(To people descended or reincarnated from Kalumesh); Subtle] -11 pts

Advantages
All-out Attack
Chokehold
Favored Environment [Underwater]
Improved Critical 1 [Claws]
Power Attack
Startle

Skills
Athletics (+9), Close Combat: Unarmed 2 (+9), Deception (+3), Expertise: Magic 5 (+6), Expertise: City of Kalumesh 11 (+12), Insight (+2), Intimidation 5 (+8), Perception 4 (+6), Persuasion (+3), Ranged Combat: Throwing 5 (+6), Stealth (+3)

Offense
Initiative +3
Mind Control +10, Damage 10
Unarmed +9, Damage 9, Improved Critical(Claws 19-20)

Defense
Dodge 9, Parry 9
Toughness 9, Fortitude 10, Will 10

Power Points
Abilities 70 + Powers 36 + Advantages 6 + Skills 16 + Defenses 17 = Total 145

Complications
Bloodlust: Dagon enjoys human sacrifice.
Responsibility: Agent of Shuma-Gorath.

Design Notes
This is Dagon a minion of Shuma-Gorath. Offensively it is PL 9 Unarmed though in water in can be PL 10. Defensively it is PL 10 due to Will and Fortitude. Ages ago Dagoth was worshipped as high priest in the city of Kalumesh. The city was destroyed by huge tidal waves and destroyed. The city came to rest near Cornwall, England. A man named Henry Gordon inherited the Witchhouse. The house had a massive library and he read stories about Dagoth. He found the Starstone outside the Tower of Dagoth. This made him curious and wondered if the legends were true concerning the city of Kalumesh. He went on a scuba expedition with Blondine the caretaker of the house. The two ran into Dagoth. Fortunately Dr. Strange was flying overhead and sensed Dagoth's power. He seemingly defeated the demon by binding it with the Rings of Raggadorr and rescued the couple. That night Dagoth summoned Blondine to activate the Starstone. This put the people of Penmallow in a trance including Dr. Strange. They were compelled to come to the sea as a sacrifice to Shuma-Gorath. Clea helped Strange break out of the trance. Dr. Strange then confronted Dagoth and banished him to another dimension.
scc
Zealot
Zealot

Re: scc 3rd Edition Builds(Shuma-Gorath Minion Dagoth)

Postby scc » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:28 pm

Next group of characters I plan on building is Nazis. Everyone loves beating up Nazis. I plan on building Nazi characters from a lot of sources like comics, movies, and rpgs. For the most part I will be building lesser known Nazis and will stay away from DC comics until the final book for DC Adventures comes out. If I was running a campaign I figured an ultimate Nazi team-up would be fun for the characters to go against.
scc
Zealot
Zealot

Re: scc 3rd Edition Builds(Shuma-Gorath Minion Dagoth)

Postby scc » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:35 pm

Valkyra
PL 11

Abilities
Strength 12, Stamina 10, Agility 3, Dexterity 1, Fighting 8, Intellect 0, Awareness 0, Presence 1

Powers
Power of the Third Reich:
Bulletproof: Protection 2 [Impervious 11] -13 pts
Dense: Feature 2 [Increased Mass] -2 pts
Efficient Irises: Senses 2 [Darkvision], Immunity 2 [Brightness] -4 pts

Advantages
All-out Attack
Chokehold
Languages 1 [English, Base: German]
Power Attack
Taunt

Skills
Acrobatics 3 (+6), Athletics (+12), Close Combat: Unarmed 2 (+10), Deception 6 (+7), Expertise: Nazi Agent 4 (+4), Insight (+0), Intimidation 6 (+7), Perception (+0), Persuasion (+1), Ranged Combat: Thrown 5 (+6), Stealth (+3)

Offense
Initiative +3
Unarmed +10, Damage 12

Defense
Dodge 8, Parry 9
Toughness 12, Fortitude 11, Will 5

Power Points
Abilities 70 + Powers 19 + Advantages 5 + Skills 13 + Defenses 12 = Total 119

Complications
Enemy: Femforce.
Obsession: Nazi Ideals.
Quirk: Valkyra was brought to the present from war torn Nazi Germany and still has trouble with present day technologies and customs.
Power Loss: If Valkyra lost her powers she would have average stats.
Self Serving: It is a rare thing for Valkyra to care about anyone other than herself unless they share her obsession.
Strong Accent: Valkyra's accent can give her away when in disguise along with her trademark ponytail.
Temper: Valkyra can be easily provoked.

Design Notes
This is Valkyra a Femforce enemy. Offensively she is PL 11 unarmed. Defensively she is PL 10.5 due to Parry and Toughness. Dr. Fritz Voltzman was fascinated by the paranormal phenomenon that had suddenly sprung up in America. Through Lady Luger's network of spies in America he had come to learn of the Paragon Foundation and their works with the being code-named Paragon. He had also managed to acquire a sample the V-46 vitamin that allowed Miss Victory to gain her powers. He tinkered with the formula and experimented with various ways of introducing it into subjects in an effort to produce an Aryan paranormal. Finally, a subject obtained from one of the state farms used for keeping breeding stock reacted to the injection and the chemical baths quite explosively and Germany had her paranormal. She was given the code name Panzer, the Fuhrer was pleased and Lady Luger adopted her sidekick. At the end of the War, when Berlin was burning, Luger and Panzer stayed by the Fuhrer's side to defend him from the invading forces, as well as the American paranormals. Both of them vanished that night; Luger, to become, in later years, an agent for whoever was willing to pay her, and Panzer, snatched through time to the present calling herself Valkyra.

Valkyra is your typical brick. She is a pretty good fighter and has taken on multiple memebers of the Femforce at the same time and has given Miss Victory herself a run for her money.
scc
Zealot
Zealot

Re: scc 3rd Edition Builds Nazis: Valkyra

Postby scc » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:11 pm

Lady Luger
PL 8.5

Abilities
Strength 1, Stamina 3, Agility 3, Dexterity 5, Fighting 8, Intellect 2, Awareness 2, Presence 3

Powers
Power of the Third Reich:
Whip-Wielding Mistress: Enhanced Advantages 2 [Chokehold, Improved Smash; Limited(Needs a whip)]

Equipment
Luger: Blast 3, Bullwhip: Strike 2 [Strength-based; Improved Grab, Improved Trip, Reach 2]

Advantages
Attractive 1
Benefit 1 [Ambidexterity]
Benefit 1 [Demolitions Expert(+4 bonus to Technology Demolition subskill)]
Connected
Contacts
Defensive Roll 2
Equipment 3
Improved Aim
Languages 3 [English, French, Japanese, Russian, Base: German]
Move-by Action
Precise Attack 2 [Close, Cover; Ranged, Cover]
Quick Draw
Ranged Attack 2
Skill Mastery [Deception]
Taunt
Well-Informed

Skills
Acrobatics 3 (+6), Athletics 7 (+8), Close Combat: Unarmed 3 (+11), Close Combat: Whip 6 (+14), Deception 9 (+12), Expertise: Nazi Agent 10 (+12), Expertise: Spy 10 (+12), Insight 5 (+7), Intimidation 2 (+5), Investigation 6 (+8), Perception 5 (+7), Persuasion 6 (+9), Ranged Combat: Pistols 7 (+14), Sleight of Hand 2 (+7), Stealth 6 (+9), Technology 4 (+6; +10 with Demolitions), Treatment 2 (+4), Vehicles: Limited to Land Vehicles 4 (+9)

Offense
Initiative +3
Bullwhip +14, Damage 3, Chokehold, Improved Grab, Improved Smash, Improved Trip, Reach 2
Luger +14, Damage 3
Unarmed +11, Damage 1

Defense
Dodge 12, Parry 12
Toughness 5 (Def Roll 2), Fortitude 7, Will 9

Power Points
Abilities 54 + Powers 1 + Advantages 23 + Skills 48 + Defenses 24 = Total 150

Complications
Enemy: Femforce.
Obsession: She loves Hitler and his ideals.
Quirk: Seems to always put her captives in deathtraps.

Design Notes
This is Lady Luger a Femforce enemy. Offensively she is PL 8.5 using her Luger or whip. Defensively she is PL 8.5 due to Toughness and Dodge/Parry. Lady Luger is the pride of the Third Reich and a spy and saboteur of the first caliber. She started as an Aryan youth conselor and did such a great job she kept getting promoted. Her quick rise through the ranks as well as her good looks attracted the eye of Hitler. Under him she became Germany's foremost agent. In recent times she had her youth restored by Doctor Fritz Voltman.
Last edited by scc on Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scc
Zealot
Zealot

Re: scc 3rd Edition Builds Nazis: Lady Luger

Postby scc » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:13 pm

Berlin Betty
PL 10

Abilities
Strength 1, Stamina 2, Agility 0, Dexterity 0, Fighting 8, Intellect 2, Awareness 4, Presence 3

Powers
AMT XIII's Programming:
Mind Control 10 [Resisted by Will; Subtle] -41 pts
Alt: Mental Blast 5
Mind Shield: Impervious 11 [Will; Limited(Mental Effects only)], Enhanced Will 7 [Limited(Mental Effects only)] -10 pts
Retarded Aging Process: Immunity 1 [Limited(Slowed Aging)] -1 pt

Advantages
Assessment
Connected
Defensive Roll 2
Ranged Attack 8
Taunt

Skills
Acrobatics 4 (+4), Athletics 1 (+2), Deception 8 (+11), Expertise: History 10 (+12), Expertise: Streetwise 8 (+10), Expertise: Acting 8 (+11), Insight 8 (+12), Intimidation 8 (+11), Investigation 9 (+11), Perception (+4), Persuasion (+3), Stealth (+0)

Offense
Initiative +0
Mental Blast, Damage 5
Mind Control, Rank 10, Resisted by Will, Subtle
Unarmed +8, Damage 1

Defense
Dodge 8, Parry 8
Toughness 4 (Def Roll 2), Fortitude 4, Will 8 (15 versus Mental Effects)

Power Points
Abilities 40 + Powers 53 + Advantages 13 + Skills 32 + Defenses 14 = Total 152

Complications
Racist: Betty looks down on other races and embraces Nazi ideology.
Secret: Nobody knows that she has developed mental powers.

Design Notes
This is Berlin Betty from M&M Lockdown Second Edition. Offensively she is PL 10 using Mind Control. Defensively she is PL 9.5 due to her Mental Shield and Fortitude. See M&M Lockdown for background information.

This is a straight conversion from Second Edition. She is more expensive in Third Edition. Her Retarded Aging Process is something I added though not in her original build it's in her description. She looks to be her seventies but has the vitality of a 40 year old super.
scc
Zealot
Zealot

Re: scc 3rd Edition Builds: Nazis - Berlin Betty

Postby scc » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:36 pm

Valkyrie
PL 12

Abilities
Strength 4, Stamina 3, Agility 3, Dexterity 3, Fighting 8, Intellect 2, Awareness 2, Presence 10

Powers
Mystic Sword:
Easily Removable (-10 points)
Restricted: Feature 1 [Women Only]
Strike 8 [Strength-based; Penetrating 12; Fearless, Improved Critical 3] -24 pts

Brilliant Armor:
Removable (-15 points)
Dazzle 12 [Visual, Resisted by Fortitude] -24 pts
Enhanced Presence 6 -12 pts
Immunity 4 [Cold, Critical Hits, Heat] -4 pts
Protection 12 [Impervious 21] -35 pts
Restricted: Feature 1 [Women Only]

Advantages
Assessment
Attractive 1
Close Attack 4
Great Endurance
Improved Initiative 2
Instant Up
Move-by Action
Power Attack
Startle
Ranged Attack 9

Skills
Acrobatics 6 (+9), Athletics 4 (+8), Deception (+10), Expertise: Athlete 8 (+10), Insight 4 (+6), Intimidation 12 (+22), Perception 4 (+6), Persuasion (+10), Stealth (+3), Vehicles 2 (+5)

Offense
Initiative +11
Dazzle +12, Rank 12, Resisted by Fortitude, Visual
Mystic Sword +12, Damage 12, Penetrating, Improved Critical(17-20)
Unarmed +12, Damage 4

Defense
Dodge 9, Parry 8
Toughness 15, Fortitude 9, Will 8

Power Points
Abilities 58 + Powers 76 + Advantages 22 + Skills 20 + Defenses 18 = Total 194

Complications
Enemy: La Pyra.
Hatred: Men.
Misandrist: Believes women are superior to men. While fighting women she will try to enlighten them.
Obsession: Physical exercise.

Design Notes
This is Valkyrie from M&M Lockdown Gen-Pop. Offensively she is PL 12 using her Mystic Sword. Defensively she is PL 12 due to Dodge and Toughness. Valkyrie is normally by Berlin Betty's side. Betty enjoys having someone that represents Aryan ideals. For more background on Valkyrie see Lockdown Gen-Pop

This is a direct conversion of Valkyrie from second edition. She had 12 impervious in second edition which converts to impervious 11 in third edition (Ignore any damage less than 12). She also has a high range attack for dazzle. I thought about just using skill ranks for that but but I kept it 12 since second edition really doesn't break it down. She is slightly more expensive in Third Edition.
scc
Zealot
Zealot

Re: scc 3rd Edition Builds: Nazis - Berlin Betty, Valkyrie

Postby Thorpacolypse » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:46 pm

I can't remember who I was having the discussion with, but I don't think you can actually have Valkyrie's Impervious at 21 ranks when her Protection is 12. I think Impervious is limited to ranks of Protection or Tougness. So they most Impervious she could have is 15 ranks, making her resist anything 8 or under.

Just so you know, you got the first post from my shiny new laptop. I finally got the wife to cave since the Little Thorpacolypses have been hogging the old laptop for such wasteful things as homework. :)
Shop J-Mart!

Service with a smilie! :)
Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Location: Bloomington, IL (Summer home in the dark recesses of the human psyche...)

Postby JoshuaDunlow » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:19 pm

I Think Thorp is right, normally Impervious is limited to your Max Toughness rating. Unless the GM allows you to go beyond bounds. Though he may be within his rights to limit this. This may have been done to fix the high level of resistance heroes had in 2nd Edition. Making them immune to most mundane weapons even with only 6 ranks of Impervious (though this would be Impervious 11+ in 3e).
JoshuaDunlow
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby scc » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:33 pm

Wow Thorp I am honored. I love shiny new laptops. I was actually having this discussion on another thread. I think Jab has done this with some of his builds. For some reason I remember him discussing it. I don't see why you couldn't use more ranks with other extras than you have ranks in power. Like area for one. Some powers are strength-based and could have more ranks in an extra than the power such as multiattack and penetrating to take strength into account. I might need to ask for an official answer. Though this has probably been asked before. I know the Armor Power Profile gives you the option of going back to old impervious. But I just use the new one and give it more ranks. Not sure if that is gamebreaking. I would like to hear more people's opinions though on the subject.
scc
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Thorpacolypse » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:22 am

I certainly don't have a problem with how you've done it, I was just pointing it out. For some characters it fits, so it makes sense to leave it up to the GM. I was just (shudder) referencing the RAW (second shudder, as I NEVER look at the RAW in detail, I usually count on Eld or Bladewind to keep me in check :wink:) as I understood it after checking it out. If you look at the DC core builds, they are all built with that mechanic. Superman and Captain Marvel both have Impervious ranks that match their Toughness as I remember off the top of my head.

But in the case of someone like Juggernaut, if you don't use pure Immunity to damage and go with a high Toughness, it would be more accurate to have his Impervious at somewhere around 29-30 ranks even if his Toughness was at +20-25. Same with someone like Bishop or Captain Atom for Impervious limited to Energy.

I'd be interested to see what kind of official answer you get.
Shop J-Mart!

Service with a smilie! :)
Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Location: Bloomington, IL (Summer home in the dark recesses of the human psyche...)

PreviousNext

Return to Roll Call