Jack of Spades: Mystique, Avalanche, Growth, Juggernaut

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.
Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Jack of Spades: Beast, Archangel, Havok & Polaris

Postby Horsenhero » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:35 pm

Here's the funny thing about Havok, when he was first introduced (when Neal Adams was illustrating the X-Men in the 70's), it was heavily implied that he was more powerful than Cyclops. So much so, that the Larry Trask Sentinels had a more difficult time nullifying/countering his power than they did Cykes'. Over the years though, Cyclops' powers got more potent faster than Havok's did, more or less evening them out. Of course in a face off against one another, no winner could be determined because they are both immune to each others' powers.

Of course for a long time, Havok was the "angry young man" to Cyclops "in control leader", so Scott had more value to the team.

jspade
Collaborator
Collaborator

Postby jspade » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:39 pm

That's actually where my opinion of Havok was formed, Horsenhero. I think Havok does release more power than Cyclops (thought the gap notably closed after Cyclops got upgraded after the Krakoa mission), but it's not all on target; Cyclops hits a single point harder, while Havok destroys his target and everything behind it and between it and him.
Jack of Spades' Builds

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Jabroniville » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:57 pm

There's some nice stuff on here! I'm liking the small, concise builds (despite my own naturally tendency to include 900 Alternate Effects on every character) and the fact that you have a set project you're working on. I'm in agreement that Havok always SEEMED more powerful than Cyclops, especially in terms of destructive power. But Scott's importance (Claremont didn't start giving a rat's ass about Alex until the late 1980s "Australia Era" X-Men) meant that he got lots of good showings regarding both power and his skills, so Alex fell behind. It wasn't until the '90s added the whole "I wanna be like SCOTT!" thing that Havok got an upgrade, but once he became a regular X-dude and not a rarely-seen type, his feats tended to diminish so he wouldn't overwhelm others.

Oh, and a word of advice: Post pictures. I don't know what it is, but people comment ten times as much if there's a picture to go with each build. I stubbornly refused to do it on my original thread, and things EXPLODED when I started adding them.

jspade
Collaborator
Collaborator

Postby jspade » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:14 pm

Thanks for the complement, Jab; your builds are always one of the places I go to make sure there's nothing really vital I missed. I find focusing on pieces of the sprawling Marvel Universe (or DCU) helps me keep my builds consistent with one another.

As I’m seeing it, my Havok (30 points of Plasma Detonation) is more powerful than my Cyclops (27 points of Optic Blast, three of which are Accurate and Precise). When it comes to attacking a single individual, Cyclops outshines Havok, but Havok unleashes more sheer destruction. If he could focus his powers down to the same level Cyclops does, he’d be doing Ranged Damage 15.

I’ve thought about adding images, but I haven’t found a free image hosting site I like, and I don’t want the bandwidth on my server. I’m open to recommendations. I do post them on my campaign wiki, so I already have them picked out.

Clearly there’s only one way to end the debate about Havok though... with an even greater threat!
Last edited by jspade on Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack of Spades' Builds

jspade
Collaborator
Collaborator

Jack of Spades: Magneto

Postby jspade » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:19 pm

MagnetoPL 12
    Erik Lehnsherr
Abilities
STR 2, STA 4, AGL 2, DEX 3, FGT 6, INT 6, AWE 7, PRE 6

Powers
Helmet: Immunity 10 (Telepathy), Easily Removed • 6 points

Magnetism: Perception Move Object 12, Dynamic, Increased Mass 7 (25 ktons), Limited to metal, Precise, Subtle • 37 points
    DAE Electromagnetic Blast: Ranged Damage 14, Inaccurate −2, Variable Descriptor (electricity or force) • 2 points
    DAE EMP: 120’ Burst Area Nullify Electronics 12, Close • 2 points
    DAE Force Field: Impervious Toughness 8, Limited to metal and electromagnetism • 2 points
    DAE Gravity Manipulation: Move Object 11 (50 tons), Damaging, Precise, Subtle • 2 points
    DAE Magnetic Field: Damaging Selective 60’ Burst Area Move Object 8 (6 tons), Limited to metal, Precise, Subtle • 2 points
    DAE Metal Manipulation: Perception Continuous Transform 12 (metal from one shape to another), Subtle • 2 points
    DAE Magnetic Snare: Cumulative Snare 12, Indirect 4, Limited to Toughness of available materials • 2 points
    AE Master of Magnetism: Perception Move Object 12, Distracting, Increased Mass 24 (1,600 mtons), Limited to metal • 1 point
    AE Plasma Bubble: Immunity 7 (All environmental conditions, suffocation) • 1 point
Magnetic Force Field: Protection 12, Sustained; Flight 7 (250 mph) • 26 points

Magnetic Senses: Senses 10 (Accurate Analytical Radius Detect Metal, Magnetic Awareness, Extended 2) • 10 points

Advantages
Challenge, Extraordinary Effort, Languages 3 (Arabic, English, French, German, Hebrew, Polish, Russian, Ukranian, Yiddish), Leadership, Ranged Combat 6

Skills
Athletics 1 (+3), Deception 5 (+11), Expertise: Science 7 (+13), Insight 2 (+9), Intimidation 7 (+13), Perception 0 (+7), Persuasion 2 (+8), Ranged Combat: Magnetism 3 (+12), Stealth 0 (+2), Technology 9 (+15).

Offense
Initiative +2
Electromagnetic Blast +10 (Ranged Damage 14), EMP (Area Nullify 12), Gravity Manipulation +9 (Damaging Move Object 11), Magnetic Field (Damaging Selective Area Move Object 8), Magnetism (Perception Move Object 12), Magnetic Throw +12 (Ranged Damage 12), Magnetic Snare +12 (Snare 12), Metal Manipulation (Perception Transform 12), Unarmed +6 (Damage 2)

Defenses
Parry 8, Dodge 8, Fort 5, Will 10, Toughness 16/4*
* without Force Field

Power Points
Abilities 72 + Powers 95 + Advantages 12 + Skills 18 + Defenses 12 = Total 196 points

Complications
Motivation: Magneto feels he must protect mutants from mankind by any means necessary.
Hatred: Magneto will kill Nazis and mutant-hunting humans without a second thought.
Power Loss: Magneto draws power from the Earth’s magnetic field; disruptions to it can affect his powers. Also, overexertion of his powers can shut them down.
Relationships: With Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch, and with Professor X.
Reputation: Magneto is the world’s best known mutant terrorist.
Rivalry: With Professor X over the philosophy that will guide mutant-human relations, and Cyclops over the actual leadership of the mutants.

Notes
This is Magneteo circa Nation X and Utopia; the High Evolutionary has restored his powers, but, since he’s a good guy, he’s not the one-man Avengers-beating threat. He’s still the most powerful of the X-Men (only Namor equals his PL).

Which isn’t to say he’s weak; he can still smack you up side the head with an aircraft carrier if he feels like it. My take on using Extra Mass with Move Object is that it allows you to lift more than your power rank, but with no increase in speed or damage from throwing things.

I wrestled a bit with the helmet, but it gets snatched off his head with such regularity that I went with Easily Removable. Even without it, his telepathic defenses are formidable.
Last edited by jspade on Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jack of Spades' Builds

jspade
Collaborator
Collaborator

Jack of Spades: Vanisher

Postby jspade » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:50 am

VanisherPL 7
    Teleford Porter
Abilities
STR 0, STA 2, AGL 2, DEX 2, FGT 2, INT 2, AWE 2, PRE 0

Powers
Teleportation: Teleport 12 (16 miles), Blind Teleport, Change Direction, Change Velocity, Extra Mass 5 (1,600 lbs.), Extended (4,000 miles), Reaction 6 (1,800 feet, to immanent attack) • 62 points

Advantages
Equipment 2, Redirect

Skills
Athletics 0 (+0), Deception 6 (+6), Expertise: Criminal 7 (+9), Expertise: Espionage 5 (+7), Insight 0 (+2), Intimidation 0 (+0), Perception 0 (+2), Persuasion 4 (+4), Ranged Combat: Guns 4 (+6), Sleight of Hand 8 (+10), Stealth 8 (+10), Technology 8 (+10).

Equipment
Safe House: Size: Tiny Toughness: 6 Features: Living Space, Secret 3 (DC 30) • 3 points
    AE Safe Houses: 2 alternate installations • 2 points
Thief’s Gear: Flashlight, Lockpicks, Multi-Tool, Wrist-Comp • 4 points

Offense
Initiative +2
Unarmed +2 (Damage 0)

Defenses
Parry 11, Dodge 11, Fort 2, Will 3, Toughness 2

Power Points
Abilities 24 + Powers 62 + Advantages 3 + Skills 25 + Defenses 19 = Total 133 points

Complications
Motivation – Greed: The Vanisher has never seemed to want more than to live well without much work.
Disability: The Vanisher has a brain tumor induced by Elixir, and is suffering from syphilis.
Prejudice: The Vanisher is a mutant.
Reputation – Coward: The Vanisher is not a fighter and is quite willing to run for it at the first hint of danger; more hardened criminals confuse this with cowardice.

Notes
On the opposite end of the X-Men’s foe scale, the Vanisher, the second mutant they ever fought. The Vanisher is no fighter, but he is, as they say, the best there is at what he does – teleport. His dreams have never been big, just wealth.

Really not much to say about the Vanisher. He’s threatened to use his powers offensively, but as far as I know he’s never actually done it; it’s a possible power stunt.
Last edited by jspade on Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jack of Spades' Builds

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Jack of Spades: Havok & Polaris, Magneto, Vanisher

Postby Horsenhero » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:37 am

The Vanisher. Wow. That's really reaching back into the archives...unless he's popped up again recently. I know he got used in that "Fallen Angels" series during the '90's but that's still awhile back.

Now if a build of Grotesk shows up, I'll really be impressed with your X-history.

jspade
Collaborator
Collaborator

Postby jspade » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:03 am

I was considering Grotesk, actually. But the Vanisher got press-ganged into X-Force a few years ago; Elixir gave him a brain tumor to keep him in line, and they used him as the team bus.
Jack of Spades' Builds

jspade
Collaborator
Collaborator

Jack of Spades: Banshee

Postby jspade » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:46 pm

BansheePL 10
    Sean Cassidy
Abilities
STR 2, STA 3, AGL 4, DEX 4, FGT 5, INT 2, AWE 5, PRE 1

Powers
Banshee Wail: Auditory Perception Area Cumulative Affliction 10 (Fort; Impaired, Disabled, Unaware), Dynamic, Limited to Hearing • 21 points
    AE Harmonics: Ranged Weaken Toughness 10, Affects Objects Only • 1 point
    DAE Sonic Scream: Ranged Sonic Damage 10 • 2 point
    DAE Sonic Stun: Ranged Progressive Affliction 6 (Fort; Dazed, Stunned, Incapacitated), Hearing-dependent, Variable descriptor (Vertigo or unconsciousness) • 2 points
Cassidy Clan: Immunity 1 (Black Tom Cassidy’s powers) • 1 point

Sonar: Senses 2 (Accurate Hearing), Noticeable • 1 point

Sonic Shield: Protection 6, Limited to physical damage, Sustained • 2 points

Sound Immunity: Immunity 10 (Sonic effects) • 10 points

Wingsuit: Flight 8 (500 mph), Noticeable, Removable (−1), Winged • 6 points

Advantages
Beginner’s Luck, Contacts, Defensive Roll 1, Focus (Country Music), Improved Initiative, Languages (English, Gaelic), Ranged Attack 6, Takedown (Ranged)

Skills
Acrobatices 3 (+7), Athletics 4 (+6), Close Combat: Unarmed 5 (+10), Deception 6 (+7), Expertise: Music 2 (+4/+9) [Focus], Expertise: Teacher 4 (+5), Insight 0 (+5), Intimidation 0 (+0), Investigation 5 (+7), Perception 0 (+5), Perform: Piano 2 (+3), Persuasion 0 (+0), Sleight of Hand 2 (+6), Stealth 1 (+5), Technology 2 (+4), Vehicles 2 (+6).

Offense
Initiative +9
Banshee Wail (Perception Area Affliction 10), Harmonics +10 (Ranged Weaken 10), Sonic Scream +10 (Ranged Sonic Damage 10), Sonic Stun +10 (Ranged Affliction 6), Unarmed +10 (Damage 2)

Defenses
Parry 10, Dodge 10, Fort 3, Will 5, Toughness 10†/4/3*
* without Defensive Roll
† with Sonic Shield (physical only)

Power Points
Abilities 52 + Powers 46 + Advantages 13 + Skills 19 + Defenses 11 = Total 141 points

Complications
Enemy: Banshee’s cousin Black Tom Cassidy hates him.
Power Loss: Banshee loses his power to throat injuries, if he’s gagged or otherwise unable to scream, or whenever he uses Extra Effort to increase the power of his screams (but not for Power Stunts).
Prejudice: Banshee is a mutant, though not an obvious one.
Relationships: With his daughter Siryn and Moira MacTaggart.

Notes
Banshee debuted well before he joined the team in Giant-Sized X-Men #1, and is a PL7 undercover cop as well as a mutant hero. I always thought he had one of the best looks of the team with his stripey wingsuit.

For an X-Man, Banshee’s very flexible; it’s rare to find one with a movement power, on-PL defenses, and an attack power. I generally don’t like the “a force field made of my energy” approach to defenses unless the energy is predominantly force, but Banshee undeniably had it.

It’d be very easy to justify giving Sean a ton of alternate effects with varying Areas on his basic attacks, but I just don’t remember him doing that very often. I missed his Generation X years though.
Last edited by jspade on Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack of Spades' Builds

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Jack of Spades: Magneto, Vanisher, Banshee

Postby Horsenhero » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:57 am

Always liked me some Banshee, yes I do. Of course as Stan Lee commented upon hearing about the character...they know Banshees are female, right? Roy Thomas didn't make many egregious errors in character creation and naming, but that was one of them. Still, Sean Cassidy remains one of my favorite X-characters of all time, along with Warren Worthington and Kurt Wagner (on the men's side of things).

Earth-Two_Kenn
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Earth-Two_Kenn » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:52 am

I always thought they should get that guy who played Joe Hardy on "the Hardy Boys" in the 70s to play Banshee in the films. Man, what was that guy's name? Not Parker Stevenson, the other guy.
Over eleven hundred DCA/M&M Character builds at http://www.rcuhero.net

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Horsenhero » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:49 pm

Wasn't that Shaun Cassidy? I seem to remember my older siblings expressing some derision at the casting decision. It would be kind of like doing the show today and casting Justin Beiber in the role.

He certainly had the hair for it though, and Shaun Cassidy playing Sean Cassidy would be amusing.

Narsil
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Narsil » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:28 pm

A less insane casting choice might be someone like James Nesbitt (who played Jekyll in the BBC series of the same name) or Colin Farrell (who played Bullseye in Daredevil), due to their actually being Irish, and in the right sort of age category.
Narsil 2e
Narsil 3e

'Oil, an emergency? About time the people who run this planet of yours realize that to be dependent upon a mineral slime just doesn't make sense.'
-The Fourth Doctor, Terror of the Zygons

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Location: Bloomington, IL (Summer home in the dark recesses of the human psyche...)

Postby Thorpacolypse » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:53 pm

Horsenhero wrote:The Vanisher. Wow. That's really reaching back into the archives...unless he's popped up again recently. I know he got used in that "Fallen Angels" series during the '90's but that's still awhile back.

Now if a build of Grotesk shows up, I'll really be impressed with your X-history.

Vanisher was in X-Force about 3-4 years ago, I believe. That was the first I had ever heard of him.
Shop J-Mart!

Service with a smilie! :)

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Jabroniville » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:50 pm

The best part about The Vanisher (who was also a big part of the Fallen Angels Limited Series) is that his real name was Telford Porter. I mean, can you imagine the coincidence? It's like how the tiny inventor of DC's Fearsome Five JUST HAPPENED to be named Mikron O’Jeneus.

Return to “Roll Call”