Jack of Spades: Mystique, Avalanche, Growth, Juggernaut

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.
jspade
Collaborator
Collaborator

Jack of Spades: Phoenix (Jean Grey)

Postby jspade » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:40 pm

PhoenixPL 13
    Jean Grey
Abilities
STR 1, STA 3, AGL 2, DEX 3, FGT 3, INT 2, AWE 9, PRE 3

Powers
Force Field: Protection 13, Sustained • 13 points

Levitation: Flight 8 (500 mph), Subtle • 17 points

Mental Shields: Enhanced Will 4, Impervious Will 6, Limited to Mental effects • 8 points

Phoenix: Feature (Firebird effect; +2 to Intimidation), Immunity 10 (Life Support), Sustained; Immortality 12 (15 minutes), Side Effect (Exhausted) • 17 points

Psychic Senses: Senses 6 (Acute Accurate Ranged Radius Detect Minds, Extended Mental 1) • 7 points

Telekinesis: Damaging Move Object 16, Extra Mass 4 (25 ktons) • 52 points
    AE Psychokinesis: 250’ Burst Area Selective Move Object 8 (6 tons), Precise, Subtle • 1 point
    AE Psychic Blast: Perception Damage 13, Alternate Resistance (Will) • 1 point
    AE Mind Scan: Cumulative Mind Reading 13, Sensory Link • 1 point
    AE Molecular Telekinesis: Perception Transform 7 (Anything to Anything), Concentration, Continuous • 1 point
    AE Telekinetic Force: Create Movable Telekinetic Force Field 13, Selective, Stationary • 1 point
Telepathy: Comprehend Languages 3, Affects Others, Communication Dependent; Mental Communication 3, Rapid 2; Senses 1 (Communication Link with Cyclops) • 15 points

Advantages
Attractive, Extraordinary Effort, Improved Disarm, Teamwork

Skills
Acrobatics 2 (+4), Athletics 4 (+5), Close Combat: Unarmed 4 (+7), Deception 0 (+3/+5) [Attractive], Expertise: Teacher 3 (+5), Insight 0 (+9), Intimidation 6 (+9), Perception 0 (+9), Persuasion 5 (+8/+10) [Attractive], Ranged Combat: Telekinesis 7 (+10), Stealth 0 (+0), Vehicles 3 (+6)

Offense
Initiative +2
Mind Blast (Perception Affliction 13), Telekinesis +10 (Damaging Move Object 16), Unarmed +7 (Damage 1)

Defenses
Parry 7, Dodge 9, Fort 3, Will 9, Toughness 16/3*
* without Force Field

Power Points
Abilities 52 + Powers 90 + Advantages 4 + Skills 14 + Defenses 11 = Total 171 points

Complications
Motivation: Jean is dedicated to Xavier’s dream of peaceful co-existence between all peoples.
Enemy: The Shi’ar Empire want the Phoenix destroyed; they consider it a universal menace.
Prejudice: Jean is a mutant.
Relationships: Especially with Cyclops, but also Wolverine, Storm, and Professor X.

Notes
The original idea, as I understand it, was for Phoenix to be for the X-Men what Thor was to the Avengers. It went wrong because she was more than just a powerhouse; she could do nearly anything, and the combination of power and flexibility made her unmanageable. That led us to Dark Phoenix.

As Phoenix, Jean is on par with Thor and Xavier, and still in control of herself. Her powers get a few tweaks besides being turned up to 13. She gains molecular telekinesis and loses astral projection; her force field comes out of her array, allowing her to use whatever’s scariest without sacrificing defense. She also gets a small set of purely Phoenix powers, notably immortality and the ability to survive in space. I never really bought the “cosmic flames” thing; the firebird seems to be mostly special effect, but a very impressive one so she gets a minor bonus to Intimidation when using it.

As always, you could give her a boatload of telepathic alternate effects, but I think it works better to just let her power stunt those. She is constantly doing new power stunts and using hero points to offset the fatigue; that’s one of the things that so scares the other X-Men.

Dave Cockrum created an incredible look for Jean; both the costume and the firebird effect deserve to be remembered after all these years.
Jack of Spades' Builds

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Jack of Spades: Shadowcat, Rogue, Marvel Girl, Phoenix

Postby Horsenhero » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:21 pm

Nice Phoenix build.

I applaud the nod to Dave Cockrum (R.I.P.). He designed some of the best costumes in comics, especially the tademark looks for the New X-Men. Phoenix, Nightcrawler, Storm, Colossus and Thunderbird were all Cockrum designs. He tweaked Cyclops, Wolverine and Banshee as well, putting his signature on the designes of all the "All New, All Different X-Men" in Giant-Sized X-Men #1, except for Sunfire. He later designed a bangin' new suit for Polaris when she was under the control of Eric the Red, though she went back to her green outfit in fairly short order.

jspade
Collaborator
Collaborator

Postby jspade » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:48 pm

Cockrum was responsible for tons of my favorite designs, but I think Jean's was the best; the costume itself is simple and elegant, it has the distinctive symbol, and the phoenix firebird effect is awesome. He does repeat some themes (compare Storm's original costume to Saturn Girl's pink suit, or the number of wide-shouldered V-shaped chest pieces he put on guys), but he managed to come up with some awesome characters, like Nightcrawler, who would be defined by their visuals. Truly one of the greats.
Jack of Spades' Builds

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Jabroniville » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:33 am

I think the purest example of Cockrum's costuming brilliance was the Shi'ar Imperial Guard. Most of them were just Legion of Super-Heroes recolours, but MANY of them were totally original characters, and almost ALL of them looked cool. This was a team of something like TWENTY-FIVE PEOPLE, all debuting in a single issue, and he did a good enough job on the designs to make nearly every character look good.

Cockrum repeated designs as much as anybody- even the greats did that (Jim Lee and that goofy "mask with the face & hair showing", Mark Bagley and goggles, George Perez and excessive detail and/or swashbuckler boots), but this body of work is a testament to his ability. I would honestly put him as comics' all-time #1 costume designer- ahead of even Kirby (too focused on circles) & Ditko (too much green).

But yes, the Phoenix outfit is one of comics' all-time greatest. It's got sex appeal (the hip boots and arm-length gloves), dynamism (the belt sash that can flow around), that ever-elusive "Iconic" look (the chest logo and whole design became very distinctive), and works well in just about any colour variation (green or red both looked awesome). The giant Phoenix Force thing is just icing on the cake.

jspade
Collaborator
Collaborator

Jack of Spades: Cannonball

Postby jspade » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:50 pm

CannonballPL 10
    Sam Guthrie
Abilities
STR 2, STA 5, AGL 3, DEX 0, FGT 5, INT 1, AWE 4, PRE 2

Powers
Blastin’: Enhanced Strength 4, Limited to flight & thrust; Flight 10 (2,000 mph) • 24 points

Blast Field: Immunity 12 (Fire descriptor, own slam damage), Limited to while flying, Sustained; Protection 6, Impervious 6, Limited to while flying • 18 points

Advantages
All-Out Attack, Diehard, Equipment 1 (Comlink, Goggles), Leadership, Move-by Action, Takedown (Close), Ultimate Toughness

Skills
Acrobatics 2 (+5), Athletics 2 (+4), Close Combat: Slam 5 (+10), Deception 0 (+2), Expertise: Farming 4 (+5), Insight 2 (+6), Intimidation 0 (+2), Perception 3 (+7), Persuasion 3 (+5), Stealth 0 (+3), Technology 2 (+3), Vehicles 3 (+3).

Offense
Initiative +3
Cannonball Slam +10 (Damage 10), Unarmed +5 (Damage 2)

Defenses
Parry 8, Dodge 9, Fort 5, Will 4, Toughness 11 (5 when not Blastin’)

Power Points
Abilities 44 + Powers 42 + Advantages 7 + Skills 13 + Defenses 9 = Total 115 points

Complications
Motivation: Sam believes in Xavier’s dream.
Code of Honor: Sam is a gentleman.
Prejudice: Sam is a mutant.
Relationships: Sam is close to Sunspot, Wolfsbane, and Magma, and falls in love easily.
Responsibility: Sam feels the weight of leadership particularly strongly.
Rivalry: As Sam has grown more straight-arrow and Dani has become more rebellious, their co-leadership has become more of a struggle.

Notes
I’ve never quite figured out why Cannonball is supposed to be such a great leader. Maybe it’s just that, alone among the original New Mutants, he had some maturity and wasn’t an emotional basket case. He’s not built up as a great tactician or a particularly inspiring figure.

Then there’s the whole External thing. According to some writers, Sam’s immortal and cannot die. Others seem to totally ignore it as a stupid idea. I gave him Diehard and left it at that.

What he is, is the good soldier, loyal both up and down the chain. Sam follows orders and takes good care of his people. I guess he's the New Mutants’ big brother.
Last edited by jspade on Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jack of Spades' Builds

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Location: Bloomington, IL (Summer home in the dark recesses of the human psyche...)

Re: Jack of Spades: Rogue, Marvel Girl, Phoenix, Cannonball

Postby Thorpacolypse » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:12 pm

Nice Jean. I was planning on going about that level for Jean in my delayed, but upcoming X-Verse run. I loved her when she first started as the Phoenix before the power creep you noted snuck in. She could do amazing things but didn't have enough omnipotent control and that kept her from being the unbeatable beast she became. After Silver Age Superman you would think people would learn about that type of massive power creep but it proves my theory that no one has learned anything ever. :wink:
Shop J-Mart!

Service with a smilie! :)

jspade
Collaborator
Collaborator

Re: Jack of Spades: Rogue, Marvel Girl, Phoenix, Cannonball

Postby jspade » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:49 am

Lots of comics writers don't seem to be able to distinguish between power and flexibility. If you can lift Manhattan, you can somehow use super-strength to control the weather and make toast. Thor works in the Avengers because he can hit things really really hard with a hammer, but Mjolnir doesn't morph into a screwdriver or teleprompter when that's what's needed; it leaves room for others to do stuff. Phoenix wasn't just the most powerful of the X-Men, she could also pretty much do anything anyone else could do.
Jack of Spades' Builds

jspade
Collaborator
Collaborator

Jack of Spades: Moonstar

Postby jspade » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:32 pm

Danielle MoonstarPL 9
    Abilities
    STR 5, STA 7, AGL 4, DEX 4, FGT 6, INT 1, AWE 3, PRE 3

Powers
    Valkyrie of Hel: Enhanced Attributes 6 (STR +3, STA +3); Enhanced Strength 5, Limited to Lifting; Feature 1 (Quick-Change); Penetrating Strength Damage 5; Senses 7 (Mental Death Awareness & Ranged Detect Fearlessness, Precognition (Limited to Death)). • 31 points

Invisibility: Concealment 5 (Visual, Auditory), Passive, Quirk: Not vs. the Dying • 4 points

Soul-Harvest: Healing 10, Limited: Subject must be Dying, Limited: Subject must complete recovery in Valhalla, Resurrection, Stabilize • 6 points

Brightwind: Summon 5 (Brightwind), Active • 15 point

Advantages
    Animal Empathy, Defensive Attack, Equipment 4, Daze (Intimidation), Diehard, Fearless, Improved Aim, Languages (Cheyenne, English, Norse), Leadership, Power Attack, Ranged Combat 4, Set-Up, Teamwork, Tracking

Skills
    Acrobatics 2 (+6), Athletics 5 (+10), Close Combat: Unarmed 6 (+12), Deception 3 (+6), Expertise: Native American 4 (+7), Expertise: SHIELD Agent 3 (+4), Insight 4 (+7), Intimidation 7 (+10) [Daze, Set-Up], Investigation 2 (+5), Perception 5 (+8) [Tracking], Persuasion 0 (+3), Ranged Combat: Bow 9 (+13), Stealth 3 (+7), Vehicles 2 (+6)

Equipment
    Asgardian Armor: Impervious Toughness 3 • 6 points

Asgardian Bow: Lethal Ranged Damage 5 • 10 points

Asgardian Spear: Lethal Strength-based Damage 3, Reach 1 • 4 points

Brightwind PL8 • MR5
    Str 6 Sta 6 Agl 2 Dex 0 Fgt 6 Int −4 Awe 3 Pre −2

Powers: Concealment 5 (Visual, Auditory; Passive, Not vs. the Dying), Strength-based Damage 1 (Reach 1), Flight 8 (500 mph, Winged), Growth 3 (Permanent), Protection 2, Senses 2 (Acute Scent, Radius Sight), Speed 3 (8 mph).

Advantages: All-Out Attack, Attractive (to women)

Skills: Athletics 2 (+8), Insight 3 (+6), Intimidation 6 (+5) [Growth], Perception 5 (+8).

Offense: Init +2; Hooves +6 (Damage 7), Unarmed +6 (Damage 6).

Defense: Dodge 6, Parry 6, Fort 10, Will 6, Toughness 8.

Totals: Attributes 22 + Powers 30 + Advantages 2 + Skills 8 + Defenses 13 = 75

Offense
    Init +4
    Bow +13 (Ranged Lethal Damage 5), Spear +6 (Lethal Damage 8, Reach 1), Unarmed +12 (Damage 5).

Defenses
    Parry 10, Dodge 11, Fort 5, Will 6, Toughness 7

Power Points
    Attributes 54 + Powers 53 + Advantages 20 + Skills 30 + Defenses 15 = 172

Complications
    Hatred: Danielle’s pride in her heritage used to cross over into anti-white bigotry fairly often.
    Prejudice – Mutant: She’s a mutant. You may have heard, they’re hated and feared.
    Relationship: Dani is “soulmates” with Rhane Sinclair (Wolfsbane); the two would do anything for one another.
    Reputation – Rebel: Danielle can’t stand authority figures, and is an ass to them for no reason. It’s even worse if they’re white authority figures.
    Temper – Heritage: Danielle is a proud Cheyenne (stereotype ho!), and wears buckskins and braids all the time. Mock her or her heritage at your peril.

Notes
    Dani, to me, reads like a character Claremont loved too much but couldn’t eve quite figure out what to do with. Her original emotional illusion powers could’ve been expanded any number of ways, but instead she became a badass normal Valkyrie. The hothead to contrast Sam’s maturity, she was nevertheless co-leader of the New Mutants.

Dani seems to be the only named mutant to have lost her powers on M-Day and not gotten them back. For a while she was just doing the badass normal thing, having kicked Sam’s butt to earn her way back on the team. Around the Seige of Asgard, Cyclops sent her to cut a deal with Hel, and she apparently got her Valkyrie powers back, which seems to have carried over to the new Defenders series. Since I like that development, that’s the version here.

Her old Mirage/Psyche powers would be:
      Mirages: Perception Affliction 9 (Will; Impaired, Disabled, Incapacitated); linked to Illusion 9 (Visual, Auditory), Limited to fears or desires, Psychic • 54 points

Thanks to Jabroniville for the template for Brightwind.
    Last edited by jspade on Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Jack of Spades' Builds

jspade
    Collaborator
    Collaborator

Jack of Spades: Karma

Postby jspade » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:01 pm

KarmaPL 10
      Xi'an Coy Manh
    Abilities
    STR 2, STA 3, AGL 3, DEX 0, FGT 5, INT 2, AWE 4, PRE 1

Powers
    Displaced Perception: Mind Reading 10, Limited to Sensory Link, Linked to Possession • 10 points

Possession: Perception Cumulative Affliction 10 (Will; Dazed, Compelled, Controlled), Limited (Defenseless & Immobile while in use), Feedback, Sustained, Subtle • 31 points
      AE Mass Mind Control: 120’ Cone Area Affliction 10 (Will; Entranced, Compelled, Controlled), Subtle • 1 point
      AE Mental Stun: Perception Affliction 10 (Will; Entranced, Stunned, Paralyzed), Subtle • 1 point
    Psychic Defenses: Enhanced Will 5, Impervious Will 4, Limited to mental powers, Sustained • 11 points

Advantages
    Equipment 1 (Comlink), Improved Disarm, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Improved Trip, Languages 1 (English, French, Vietnamese), Ranged Combat 6, Set-Up

Skills
    Acrobatics 3 (+6), Athletics 3 (+5), Close Combat: Grabbing 4 (+9), Deception 8 (+9), Expertise: Teaching 4 (+6), Insight 5 (+9), Intimidation 2 (+3), Investigation 4 (+6), Perception 0 (+4), Persuasion 0 (+1), Stealth 3 (+6), Treatment 2 (+4).

Offense
    Initiative +3
    Grab +9 (Hold +7), Mass Mind Control (Area Affliction 10), Mental Stun (Perception Affliction 10), Possession (Perception Affliction 10), Trip +9 (Acrobatics +6), Unarmed +5 (Damage 2)

Defenses
    Parry 10, Dodge 11, Fort 3, Will 4, Toughness 3

Power Points
    Abilities 40 + Powers 54 + Advantages 13 + Skills 19 + Defenses 11 = Total 137 points

Complications
    Prejudice: Karma is a mutant and a lesbian.
    Relationships: Xi’an’s siblings Leong and Nga are the most important people in her life.
    Temper: Xi’an tends to lash out at men who make passes at her.
    Weakness: If she possesses someone for too long, Karma’s personality will recede and she’ll begin acting just as they would – essentially incapacitating herself for no benefit.

Notes
    Karma’s powers have broadened somewhat since her introduction, but not so much that she’s not still relatively one-note. Mostly she possesses people; he has a little more telepathic breadth than that, but not enough to actually do mind-reading and communications.

She always struck me as the New Mutant with the most common sense; her rape-as-backstory origins give her the basis to be worldly wise, and she takes her responsibilities to friends and especially family seriously.

Karma’s an out lesbian who somehow avoided being the center of a real-world media circus. I didn’t even know it until I was researching her for the writeup. It’s a fairly organic growth of her character, from what I recall of her from her New Mutant days.

The problem with characters like Karma is that they’re all or nothing; either she can turn the bad guy into an ally, or she’s useless. Given the mutants’ tendency to fight other teams rather than single big bads it’s less of an issue with them, but she’s one more reason every X-bad has to have telepathic defenses.
    Last edited by jspade on Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Jack of Spades' Builds

Horsenhero
    Cosmic Entity
    Cosmic Entity

Re: Jack of Spades: Phoenix, Cannonball, Moonstar, Karma

Postby Horsenhero » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:29 pm

I've been out of comics long enough that I hadn't been aware of the latest developments with Dani. I never really liked the Valkyrie thing, but it's certainly easier to write than her original powers. As for Karma, personality-wise I've always liked her, but in general I dislike telepaths of any stripe and mind control has always struck me as the most...immoral(?)...of all super-powers. As usual though, I dig the builds.

jspade
    Collaborator
    Collaborator

Re: Jack of Spades: Wolfsbane

Postby jspade » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:44 am

WolfsbanePL 10
      Rahne Sinclair
    Abilities
    STR 5/1, STA 6/3 AGL 6/4, DEX −1/0, FGT 8/4, INT 0, AWE 4, PRE 0

Powers
    Mutant Werewolf: Enhanced Attributes 17 (STR +4, STA +4, AGL +4, FGT +4, DEX −1), Enhanced Skills (Intimidation 9, Perception 9), Enhanced Advantages 6 (Daze (Intimidate), Evasion, Improved Trip, Move-By Action, Startle, Prone Fighting); Immunity 2 (Environmental cold, lasting injury), Senses 6 (Acute Ranged Scent, Infravision, Low-Light Vision, Ultra-Hearing, Olfactory Tracking), Speed 2 (8 mph), Leaping 1 (15’); Move Action, Noticeable • 49 points
      Claws: Strength-based Lethal Slashing Damage 1, Dangerous • 2 points
      Big Wolf: Growth 3 (STR +3, STA +3, Dodge & Parry −1, Attack −1, Speed +1, Intimidation +2, Stealth −2), Uncontrolled • 6 points
      Wolf Form: Morph 1 (Red Wolf) • 5 points
    Advantages
    Equipment 1 (Comlink), Set-up

Hybrid & Wolf Forms: Daze (Intimidate), Evasion, Improved Trip, Move-By Action, Prone Fighting

Skills
    Acrobatics 3 (+4/+9) [Wolf Form], Athletics 3 (+4/+9) [Wolf Form], Close Combat: Unarmed 3 (+7/+11) [Wolf Form], Deception 0 (+0), Insight 0 (+4), Intimidation 0 (+0/+9/+11) [Daze, Growth, Startle, Wolf Form], Perception 0 (+4/+13) [Wolf Form], Persuasion 0 (+0), Stealth 4 (+8/+12/+10) [Growth, Wolf Form], Treatment 3 (+3).

Offense
    Initiative +6/4
    Claws +11 (Lethal Damage 6, Crit 19-20), Unarmed +11 (Damage 5)
    Big Wolf: Claws +10 (Lethal Damage 9, Crit 19-20), Unarmed +10 (Damage 8).

Defenses
    Parry 11, Dodge 12, Fort 6, Will 4, Toughness 6
    Big Wolf: Parry 10, Dodge 11, Fort 9, Will 4, Toughness 9

Power Points
    Abilities 32 + Powers 64 + Advantages 2 + Skills 8 + Defenses 5 = Total 111 points

Complications
    Motivation – Doing Good: Rahne really tries to be a good girl, but is terribly conflicted about what that means.
    Prejudice: Rahne is a mutant werewolf, two reasons to be chased with pitchforks and torches.
    Quirks: In human form, Rahne is a timid, very religious, very proper Scottish girl. In wolf form, she’s a wild thing.
    Relationships: Rahne has been close to Rictor, Asgardian wolf-prince Hrimhari, and her soulmate Dani Moonstar.

Notes
    Rahne was a furry before Wolverine made it mandatory for every team to have someone with claws. Originally she just turned into a wolf; as her skill grew, she learned to do the Hollywood-classic hybrid form. The thing that stands out about her compared to other similar characters is just how uncomfortable she is with her animalistic side; Rhane mostly still tries to live within the tenets of her strict Presbyterian upbringing.

Rahne’s PL 8.5 unless her passions get engaged and her Growth activates. Since that’s Uncontrolled, and something that she feels guilty about later, it’s not that common.
    Last edited by jspade on Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
    Jack of Spades' Builds

jspade
    Collaborator
    Collaborator

Re: Jack of Spades: Sunspot

Postby jspade » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:13 am

SunspotPL 10
      Roberto "Bobby" da Costa
    Abilities
    STR 11/3, STA 4, AGL 2, DEX 2, FGT 5, INT 0, AWE 2, PRE 1

Powers
    Solar Powered: Immunity 12 (Environmental heat & cold; Heat, Fire, & Light descriptors); Protection 5; Noticeable • 18 points
      Solar Strength: Enhanced Strength 8; Enhanced Strength 4 (800 tons), Limited to Lifting • 20 points
      AE Solar Blast: Ranged Damage 10 • 1 point
      Solar Flight: Flight 6 • 12 points
    Advantages
    All-Out Attack, Attractive, Benefit 3 (Millionaire), Equipment 1 (Comlink), Languages (English, Portugese, Spanish)

Skills
    Acrobatics 3 (+5), Athletics 3 (+6/+14) [Solar Strength], Close Combat: Unarmed 4 (+9), Deception 0 (+1/+3) [Attractive], Expertise: Business 9 (+9), Expertise: Pop Culture 4 (+4), Insight 1 (+3), Intimidation 3 (+4), Perception 0 (+2), Persuasion 6 (+6/+8) [Attractive], Ranged Combat: Solar Blasts 7 (+9), Stealth 0 (+2), Vehicles 2 (+4).

Offense
    Initiative +2
    Solar Blast +9 (Damage 10), Unarmed +9 (Damage 11)

Defenses
    Parry 10, Dodge 9, Fort 4, Will 4, Toughness 9/4

Power Points
    Abilities 38 + Powers 51 + Advantages 7 + Skills 21 + Defenses 14 = Total 131 points

Complications
    Motivation: Roberto’s main driver is loyalty, but he also tries to use his powers responsibly.
    Enemies: Giddeon and Reignfire.
    Power Loss: Sunspot’s solar energy can be depleted by constant use, with his powers becoming Impaired, Disabled, and then shutting down entirely. This happens faster in the dark.
    Prejudice: Bobby’s a mutant, though the fact isn’t generally known.
    Quirk: Bobby flirts anything female, and is undeterred when he’s rejected.
    Relationship: Bobby’s still trying to live up to his father’s example. He’s best friends with Cannonball.

Notes
    I never really followed the original X-Force, so I missed it when Roberto went from “strong, but not invulnerable” to flying blaster with super strength. I haven’t really seen evidence of it in the stuff I’ve been reading – I think he may have been flying in one background scene – but it doesn’t seem like an insane addition to his power set. It’s not like he suddenly turns into diamond or something.

Sunspot acts like a doofus most of the time, but he seems to have a head for business. I may have underestimated his Wealth; apparently he’s throwing it around more in Hickman’s Avengers.

“I’m strong; I’m not invulnerable!” is Sunspot’s catch-phrase, and I had to think a bit to figure out how to handle it while still representing that he can hang in a fight with other super-strong guys. I ended up leaving it at high Toughness, but none of it Impervious; basically anything can hurt him, but generally not a lot. He can’t just wade in to gunmen without worrying about bullets at all; an unlucky Toughness save and he’s hurting.
    Last edited by jspade on Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Jack of Spades' Builds

jspade
    Collaborator
    Collaborator

Jack of Spades: Cypher

Postby jspade » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:10 am

CypherPL 9
      Doug Ramsey
    Abilities
    STR 2, STA 2, AGL 1, DEX 1, FGT 4, INT 4, AWE 3, PRE 0

Powers
    Pattern Recognition: Comprehend Languages 3 (Read, Speak, Understand), Enhanced Advantages 4 (Focus (Computers, Trick), Skill Mastery (Computers, Investigation)), Enhanced Skills 24 (Investigation 10, Perception 10, Persuasion 4) • 22 points

Body Language: Enhanced Advantages 1 (Ultimate Insight); Enhanced Fighting 8, Limited to foes he can see; Enhanced Dodge 8, Limited to attacks he can see & not vs. Area attacks; Enhanced Skill 16 (Deception 6, Insight 10) • 21 points
      Brilliant Deduction: Senses 5 (Rapid Vision, Postcognition (based on Search)) • 5 points
      Situational Awareness: Senses 1 (Visual Danger Sense) • 1 point
      Speed Reader: Quickness 3, Limited to Reading • 1 point
    Advantages
    Beginner’s Luck, Defensive Roll, Equipment 1 (Comlink), Improved Trip, Redirect, Set-Up

Skills
    Acrobatics 2 (+3), Athletics 2 (+4), Deception 0 (+6/+11) [Focus: Trick], Insight 0 (+13) [Ultimate Skill], Intimidation 0 (+0), Investigation 2 (+16) [Skill Mastery], Perception 0 (+13), Persuasion 4 (+8), Stealth 0 (+2), Technology 4 (+8/+13) [Focus: Computers, Skill Mastery] Vehicles 2 (+3).

Offense
    Initiative +1
    Unarmed +12*/+4 (Damage 2)

Defenses
    Parry 16*/8, Dodge 16*/8, Fort 2, Will 3, Toughness 2
    * with Body Language

Power Points
    Abilities 34 + Powers 50 + Advantages 5 + Skills 8 + Defenses 11 = Total 108 points

Complications
    Motivation – Acceptance: Doug’s best friends are mutant adventurers, so he tries to help them how he can.
    Prejudice: Cypher’s a mutant.
    Power Loss: Cypher’s Body Language power doesn’t work against attackers with no Presence, and the Enhanced Fighting and Dodge may not be useful for some saves.
    Relationships: Doug and Warlock are pretty much inseparable. He had a crush on Psylocke and was in love with Wolfsbane when he died; he and Kitty Pryde were just friends.

Notes
    Doug basically takes all the skills Dani doesn’t have. Before he died, he was basically “non-combat guy”, doing hacking and whatever other unglamorous, non-visual stuff the team needed. Since his resurrection, his powers have been interpreted much more broadly; he now squeezes maximum information out of anything he sees, which makes him come over like a super-detective at times. I’m really liking this interpretation; it’s a super-power I can’t recall ever seeing before.

They also gave Doug the body-language reading powers Cass Cain has, which supposedly make him an uber-martial-artist. That sorta presupposes he knows how to take advantage of knowing what the other person is about to do, but he has had basic X-Men combat training. As long as he’s fighting someone with body language to read who’s not too tough, he’s effective.
    Last edited by jspade on Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
    Jack of Spades' Builds

jspade
    Collaborator
    Collaborator

Jack of Spades: Warlock

Postby jspade » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:38 pm

WarlockPL 10
      Abilities
      STR 2, STA 5, AGL 4, DEX 4, FGT 2, INT 1, AWE −1, PRE −1

Powers
      Shapeshifting: Elongation 5, Morph 4 (Any shape), Variable 6 (30 power points), Move Action • 71 points
      Techno-Organic Body: Immunity 10 (Life Support), Impervious Protection 5 • 28 points
      Transmode Virus: Affliction 14 (Fort; Impaired, Disabled, Transformed, Dying), Contagious, Incurable, Progressive • 57 points

Skills
      Athletics 0 (+2), Close Combat: Natural Weapons 4 (+6), Deception 0 (−1), Insight 0 (−1), Intimidation 4 (+3), Investigation 1 (+2), Perception 0 (−1), Persuasion 0 (−1), Ranged Combat: Natural Weapons 2 (+6), Stealth 0 (+4), Technology 11 (+12).

Offense
      Initiative +4
      Transmode Virus +6 (Affliction 14), Unarmed +4 (Damage 2).

Defenses
      Parry 9, Dodge 10, Fort 5, Will 2, Toughness 10

Power Points
      Abilities 32 + Powers 156 + Advantages 0 + Skills 11 + Defenses 15 = Total 214 points

Complications
      Motivation: Self will accompany/protect selfriends!
      Code of Honor: Self has swornswornsworn never to take lifeglow of thinking beings! Absolute swear!
      Enemy: Technarchy requires self duel/fight selfsiredame the Magus to death! Also Technarchy & Phalanx despise self’s mutation.
      Prejudice: Self is a Technarch from Kvch, and a mutant like selfriends!
      Quirk: What does it mean, “zany robot?”
      Relationship: Selfriend Doug Ramsey is self’s ultimate priority!
      Weakness: Self requires lifeglow of livingthings. Self prefers pretty flowers.

Notes
      Warlock. Ugh. I’d hate to be in a game with him; Warlock’s apparent inability to ever adapt to life on Earth makes me think he’s either stupid or too arrogant to care, and yet he’s so awesomely powerful that you can’t just ignore him. He’s cursed with character design by Bill Sinkevitch, one of my least favorite comic artists. To me, he’s annoying, stupid, ugly, and intrusive.

Warlock basically does anything, and at reasonably high levels of power. The worst is the transmode virus, which will pretty much kill everything ever as long as Warlock lets it keep running. It's like they tried to overcompensate for Phoenix by making a guy with vast cosmic power who was too crippled to use it at all, except when it would be maximally annoying. Don't get me wrong; I much prefer characters who are unwilling to kill. But Warlock needed to either quit going into battle or get serious and learn to fight.
      Jack of Spades' Builds

jspade
      Collaborator
      Collaborator

Jack of Spades: Magma

Postby jspade » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:01 am

MagmaPL 10
        Amara Juliana Olivians Aquilla
      Abilities
      STR 4/2, STA 4/2, AGL 2, DEX 3, FGT 4, INT 0, AWE 2, PRE 0

Powers
      Geothermal Form: Damage 4, Reaction (To being touched); Density 2; Environment 1 (30’, Heat); Immunity 8 (Heat descriptors, environmental heat & cold, suffocation beneath earth or lava); Protection 3, Impervious 4 • 40 points

Earthquake: Ranged 120’ Burst Area Affliction 5 (Dodge/Fort; Dazed & Vulnerable, Stunned & Prone), Extra Condition, Secondary Effect, Limited Degree, Limited to foes on the ground • 25 points
        AE Magma Blast: Ranged Heat & Bludgeoning Damage 12 • 1 point
        AE Eruption: Ranged 30’ Cylinder Area Damage 8 • 1 point
        AE Geokinesis: Perception Ranged Move Object 12, Limited to rock & earth • 1 point
        AE Magma Wrestling: Damage +4, Reaction (To being touched); Damage 15, Grab-based; Environment 1 (30’, Extreme Heat) • 1 point
        AE Tunneling: Burrowing 7 (8 mph) • 1 point
      Advantages
      Attractive, Equipment 1 (Comlink), Extraordinary Effort, Improved Smash, Ranged Combat 3

Skills
      Acrobatics 3 (+5), Athletics 3 (+5), Deception 4 (+4/+6) [Attractive], Expertise: Politics 4 (+4), Insight 0 (+2), Intimidation 6 (+6), Perception 0 (+2), Persuasion 0 (+0/+2) [Attractive], Ranged Combat: Geokinetic Powers 2 (+8), Stealth 0 (+2).

Offense
      Initiative +2
      Earthquake (Ranged Area Affliction 5), Eruption (Ranged Area Damage 8), Magma Blast +8 (Ranged Damage 12), Geokinesis (Perception Move Object 12), Unarmed +4 (Damage 2)

Defenses
      Parry 9, Dodge 10, Fort 4, Will 4, Toughness 7/2

Power Points
      Abilities 30 + Powers 70 + Advantages 7 + Skills 11 + Defenses 13 = Total 131 points

Complications
      Accident: Extreme emotions can cause Magma’s powers to run out of control, causing earthquakes, volcanoes, and wide-scale destruction.
      Enemy: Selene and Magma have a long-running conflict; Selene’s sought revenge on Amara several times.
      Prejudice: Magma’s a mutant, and a scary powerful one.
      Relationship: Amara’s still in love with Empath, despite the fact that he controls her emotions when he can.

Notes
      What can I say. Amara’s my favorite New Mutant. I’m partial to hot blondes who make the earth move, especially if they’re also rich Roman Senatorial class. I’m surprised Claremont never did more with her; she seems like she plays right into his “type”, but she’s mostly been relegated to the background.

I keep thinking Magma has super-strength, despite her being mostly a blaster, so I gave her some Density in magma form. It’s superhuman for her height, weight, and build, so there.
      Jack of Spades' Builds

Return to “Roll Call”