Jack of Spades: Mystique, Avalanche, Growth, Juggernaut

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.
Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Jack of Spades: Sunspot, Cypher, Warlock, Magma

Postby Horsenhero » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:57 am

Doug Ramsey?- meh. Whatever.

Warlock?- I for one wouldn't mind if they somehow managed to retcon him out of existence...as long as he took his pop with him. The only Warlock-centric story I ever really liked was when he and the Impossible man set out on a "whatever you can do I can do better" escapade, which was only ended when Warlock displayed he could change color, which impy could not do. Other than that, the character just annoys the heck out of me.

Magma- Yes!

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Jabroniville » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:00 am

As much as Claremont likes powerful women, he likes rebellious, hardcore bad-ass chicks even more, so Moonstar & Magik were always his clear favourites on the New Mutants team. She always seemed rather bland on the squad next to all the other weirdos with their personal problems. It's kinda fun reading the book in order, because you can almost see the wheels turn in Claremont's head as he's writing: "okay, so I have this great new idea for a chick- she's Magma and she has LAVA powers... oh crap, I forgot to give her as much personality as the others. Well maybe I'll trounce Karma, the least-interesting member of the squad, and hope she gets more time. Ah, never mind, I just added a mage, a polyglot and his robot buddy- screw Amara." She basically got overshadowed by a team that already meshed very well without her, and she couldn't really add anything of her own (aside from being the focus of Sam's precocious crush for a while) to such a well-developed squad.

She just kinda floundered as a character without any strong traits, to the point where even successors to Claremont's run couldn't figure out the best use of the character- she went off with EMPATH of all people, joined The Hellions (which should have been insanely interesting, but just kind of got dropped), mostly ignored by Louise Simonson, and vanished for the entirety of the 1990s, as Fabian Nicieza barely used her on X-Force. The modern New Mutants revamp, which was EXCELLENT for the most part, still managed to make her the least-interesting of the squad.

Cypher & Warlock are tricky- Doug isn't very annoying on the book, but Warlock veers DANGEROUSLY close to "Whacky 1980s Alien/Robot Sidekick" territory that can was one of the more annoying and omnipresent tropes of the era.

Karma is just bland and forgettable- plain and simple. She added so little to the early book that they wrote her out without an afterthought- the team didn't really need a "mature older one" character.

Sunspot seemed to get very little development in the book, as he was kind of Comic Relief/The Lothario for so long, but it helped make him stand out, as he wasn't AS GRIM as most of his buddies. It's funny to read the old stories as he's this highly-vulnerable sorta-powerhouse and one of the more limited team members, then find out that they made him a Blaster as soon as they could in the 1990s (it wasn't even Liefeld who did it, either!), then all of a sudden made him FLY as well, so he ended up being a mini Blasting Superman guy!

rtrimmer
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby rtrimmer » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:49 pm

Magma.
From an ancient Roman colony in Brazil which settled deep in the Amazon jungle instead of along the coast and never expanded or engaged in conquest of their stone age neighbors for 2,000 years, living so quietly that the Europeans never noticed them. And she's a blue-eyed blond, despite Roman (not Scandinavian) blood and 100 generations of ancestors living in a sea of native South Americans.

WTF?

Did Claremont feel he had to go against the flow and make up a blond hottie to stand out in the sea of brown and black girls dominating 1980's comics?

jspade
Collaborator
Collaborator

Jack of Spades: Magik

Postby jspade » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:27 am

MagikPL 10
    Illyana Rasputin
Abilities
STR 1, STA 3, AGL 3, DEX 0, FGT 5, INT 1, AWE 3, PRE 2

Powers
Eldritch Armor: Enhanced Will 6, Protection 6, Quirk (Activates with Soulsword), Sustained • 11 points

Impenetrable Psionic Shields: Concealment 1 (Telepathic), Immunity 10 (Telepathy) • 12 points

Mystic Senses: Senses 1 (Magical Awareness) • 1 point

Stepping Disks: Teleport 12, Accurate, Change Direction, Extended, Portal, Turnabout • 62 points
    AE Limbo: Movement 1 (Dimensional Travel to Limbo), Extra Mass 5, Standard Action • 1 point
Soulsword: Nullify Magic & Psionics 11, Activation: Move Action, Broad, Close, Sustained, Removable (Only works for others if allowed, −5) • 27 points
    AE Magic-slayer: Damage 11, Affects Insubstantial 2, Alternate Resistance (Will), Dimensional 2 (Astral), Limited to magical & living things, Penetrating 11, Removable (Only works for others if allowed, −5) • 1 point
    AE Astral Projection: Remote Sensing 12 (16 miles; Vision, Hearing, & Mental), Dimensional 2 (Astral), Side Effect (Physical body is Defenseless and Immobile) • 1 point
Advantages
All-Out Attack, Benefit 5 (Ruler of Limbo), Equipment 4 (Limbo Palace), Diehard, Favored Environment (Limbo), Fascinate (Intimidation), Improved Smash, Ritualist

Skills
Acrobatics 3 (+6), Athletics 2 (+3), Close Combat: Sword 4 (+9), Deception 4 (+6), Expertise: Magic 11 (+12) [Ritualist], Insight 4 (+7), Intimidation 8 (+10) [Fascinate], Perception 4 (+7), Persuasion 0 (+2), Stealth 2 (+5).

Equipment
Limbo Palace: Awesome, Toughness 10. Features: Defense System 4 (Summon 8 MR 5 demons, Active, Self-Powered), Isolated, Holding Cells, Living Space, Personnel, Power System, Sealed, Temporal Limbo, Workshop. • 20 points

Offense
Initiative +3
Soulsword +9 (Nullify 11 or Damage 11 vs. Will), Unarmed +5 (Damage 1)

Defenses
Parry 10, Dodge 10, Fort 3, Will 10/4*, Toughness 9/3*
* without Mystic Armor

Power Points
Abilities 36 + Powers 116 + Advantages 15 + Skills 22 + Defenses 8 = Total 197 points

Complications
Motivation: Illyana is mostly about taking care of Illyana.
Accident: If Magik is interrupted during a teleport, she could land anywhere; if she has passengers they could be scattered across time and space.
Enemies: Belasco, S’ym, and N’Astirh are all gunning for the Illyana one way or another.
Prejudice: Magik isn’t just a mutant; she’s a mutant demon sorceress.
Relationships: Illyana really cares about Kitty Pryde and her brother Colossus, though she’d never let anyone know that.
Reputation: Magik’s widely viewed as an evil monster who would betray anyone. She doesn’t do much to dispel the idea.
Temper: Illyana is the X-Men’s mean girl; she’s snarky and cutting to just about everyone, even her brother and her teammates.

Notes
Illyana’s gotten a lot of play since she got back; Cyclops seems to have realized that having the ability to take the entire team anywhere in time and space was a useful thing. She was on the Extinction Team, and is still with his team of X-Men. It’s good to see her back with Kitty; it’s about the only time she lightens up from the “doom, doom, I have no soul” blonde goth she projects. Kitty & Illyana are what convinces me Illyana’s darkness is a psychological rather than metaphysiological. She’s redeemable.

Illyana’s one of the most potent teleporters in comics, able to use the power tactically and act as the team bus. Magik's Soulsword does no physical damage to normal living beings, but can psychically injure or incapacitate them; magical beings can be killed, and it cuts through magical spells and psychic constructs. Even though her armor doesn’t always give her anything like full coverage, attacks seem to hit it unerringly, so there’s no limitation there.

In Limbo, Magik has considerably greater magical powers; those abilities would be alternate effects of the Soulsword, Limited to Limbo. She briefly exhibited them in our world during Infernus, but doesn’t seem to be doing that any more. Magik can also time-travel, but she does so rarely enough to treat that as a Power Stunt off her Stepping Disks.

Darkchylde
When Illyana goes evil, she grows horns and goat legs and a tail and gets more powerful. Bump her up to PL 13, and add the Darkchylde package below:

Darkchylde: Enhanced Attributes (STR 6, STA 6, FGT 6), Limited to Limbo; Enhanced Skills (Ranged Combat: Magic 12); Healing 6, Move Action, Limited to Self, Limited to Limbo; Immunity 5 (Aging, Environmental Heat & Cold, Poison, Disease); Protection 2, Limited to Limbo; Senses 2 (Darkvision) • 34 points

Dark Sorcery: Alternate Effects of the Soulsword
    AE Bolt of Bedevilment: Ranged Damage 9, Resisted by Will • 1 point
    AE Mystic Force: Movable Create Mystic Force 9 • 1 point
Last edited by jspade on Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack of Spades' Builds

jspade
Collaborator
Collaborator

Postby jspade » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:50 am

rtrimmer wrote:Did Claremont feel he had to go against the flow and make up a blond hottie to stand out in the sea of brown and black girls dominating 1980's comics?

To be fair, Bob McLeod probably deserves some of the blame for making Amara a blonde caucasian. Making her look Native American would probably have caused her to be too easily confused with Dani. But even just making her a brunette (with different coloring from Dani or Shan) would've made her stand out when Magik joined up later. Since Illyana wasn't on the team yet I can't call it a poor design move (and Illyana's basic look was already decided, so they couldn't fix it when Claremont did put her on the team), but it was unfortunate in a lot of ways. As it is, when one of the blondes in a generic X-uniform speaks up, I always go "wait, is that Amara or Illyana?" I should know it's Illyana though; Amara doesn't have a speaking role.
Jack of Spades' Builds

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Jack of Spades: Cypher, Warlock, Magma, Magik

Postby Horsenhero » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:47 pm

Well, I like Magma far better than Magik. Magik just seemed like another, different way for Claremont to write his all-powerful, well-meaning, but corrupted by having ultimate power, uber girl...which he'd already done with Jean and kind of done with Rachel, so I was over her before she started. Still, she makes a decent team bus and in world hopping team, that's an important role.

As for Amara being blonde, light hair and skin weren't unknown in the Roman Empire. Not everyone in Italy and the surrounding environs (i.e. nearly the entirety of europe and near asia when you're speaking of the Roman Empire) has the complexion of a Sicilian after all.

jspade
Collaborator
Collaborator

Jack of Spades: Toad

Postby jspade » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:44 am

ToadPL 9
    Mortimer Toynbee
Abilities
STR 6/7, STA 6, AGL 8, DEX 2, FGT 10, INT 4, AWE 1, PRE 0

Powers
Amphibious Mutant: Enhanced Abilities 18 (STR 3, STA 3, AGL 6, FGT 6), Enhanced Advantages 1 (Focus: Contorting), Immunity 2 (Drowning, Lasting Injury), Movement 2 (Environmental Adaptation: Water, Wall-Crawling 1) • 43 points

Frog Legs: Enhanced Advantage (Move-by Action), Enhanced Strength 1 (Limited to lower body), Immunity 2 (Own slam damage), Leaping 3 (60’) • 7 points

Prehensile Tongue: Enhanced Advantages 2 (Improved Grab, Improved Hold), Elongation 2, Limited to Tongue; Extra Limb 1 • 4 points

Paralytic Resin: Affliction 8 (Fort; Impaired, Disabled, Paralyzed), Limited to skin-to-skin contact • 4 points
    AE Acidic Saliva: Ranged Damage 4, Fades • 1 point
    AE Amphibian Control: Mental Communication 1, Comprehend Animals 2, Limited to Amphibians • 1 point
    AE Psychoactive Venom: Affliction 8 (Fort; Entranced, Compelled, Controlled), Limited to skin-to-skin contact • 1 point
Advantages
Accurate Attack, Agile Feint, Chokehold, Equipment 1, Focus: Contortionist, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Move-by Action, Power Attack, Set-Up

Skills
Acrobatics 7 (+15) [Agile Feint] Athletics 4 (+10/+12) [Frog Legs], Close Combat: Slam 2 (+12), Deception 6 (+6), Expertise: Criminal 2 (+6), Insight 0 (+1), Intimidation 3 (+3), Investigation 1 (+5), Perception 0 (+1), Persuasion 0 (+1), Sleight of Hand 3 (+5/+10) [Focus] Stealth 4 (+12), Technology 6 (+10).

Equipment
Goggles: +5 to resist bright light • 1 point

Offense
Initiative +8
Slam +10 (Damage 8), Tongue Grab +10 (STR 8), Unarmed +10 (Damage 6)

Defenses
Parry 12, Dodge 14, Fort 6, Will 1, Toughness 6

Power Points
Abilities 38 + Powers 60 + Advantages 6 + Skills 19 + Defenses 8 = Total 132 points

Complications
Motivation – Acceptance: The Toad wants to be part of some society, even if it’s at its lowest rungs.
Prejudice: The Toad is an obvious mutant.
Reputation: Even among mutants, the Toad is seen as a pathetic joke.
Weakness – Light Sensitive: The Toad’s eyes are sensitive to bright light; he is at −2 to vision in direct sunlight, takes an extra degree of penalty from brightly lit Environments, and resists visual Dazzles at −5. All of this is mitigated by sunglasses.

Notes
Putting this together, I was surprised at just how competent the Toad actually is. He’s no powerhouse, but even disregarding his inconsistent mess of add-on powers he’s a solid henchman. Magneto didn’t just abuse him; he underutilized him.

Ray Park’s portrayal in the X-Men films is responsible for turning the Toad from “guy with strong legs” to “amphibious mutant”, but given how portrayals of mutants have evolved I think it works better than his old self. Call it a secondary mutation. None of the secondary sources I found mentioned him behing actually amphibious, but it made more sense to me than acid spit so I put it in there. Any other amphibious powers he might randomly develop can be power stunts off his Paralyic Resin, which I almost named “Inconsistent Powers Array.”
Jack of Spades' Builds

JoshuaDunlow
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Jack of Spades: Cypher, Warlock, Magma, Magik, Toad

Postby JoshuaDunlow » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:26 am

Nice work there. That build makes him pretty useful as a henchmen.

jspade
Collaborator
Collaborator

Jack of Spades: Quicksilver

Postby jspade » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:13 am

QuicksilverPL 11
    Pietro Maximoff
Abilities
STR 5/6(2), STA 6(3), AGL 13(4), DEX 3, FGT 15(6), INT 1, AWE 2, PRE 1

Powers
Speedster Physiology: Enhanced Attributes 5 (STR 3, STA 3); Enhanced Strength 1 (3,200 lbs.), Limited to legs; Immunity 6 (Fatigue, Slam damage) • 17 points

Superhuman Reflexes: Enhanced Attributes 18 (Agility 9, Fighting 9), Enhanced Advantages 11 (Agile Feint, Improved Initiative 6, Instant Up, Move-by Action, Redirect, Takedown (Close)) • 47 points

Super-Speed: Speed 18 (170 miles/sec), Quickness 11 • 29 points

Whirlwind: 30’ Selective Burst Area on Strength • 10 points
    AE All-Terrain Speedster: Movement 4 (Sure-footed 2, Wall-Crawling 1, Water Walking), Limited to while running • 1 points
    AE Catch Bullets: Immunity 10 (Projectiles), Concentration, Limited (Not vs. surprise attacks), Reflect, Redirect • 1 point
    AE Cyclone: 60’ Column Area Move Object 5, Side Effect (Limited fine movement & powerful winds) • 1 point
    AE Faster Than the Eye Can Follow: Concealment 4 (Visual), Limited to while moving • 1 point
    AE Rapid Strike: Multiattack on Strength Damage • 1 point
    AE Vibrate Molecules: Insubstantial 4, Distracting, Standard action • 1 point
Advantages
Agile Feint, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative 6, Instant Up, Languages 1 (English, Hungarian, Russian), Move-by Action, Redirect, Set-up, Takedown (Close), Taunt, Ultimate Effort (super-speed)

Skills
Acrobatics 2 (+16) [Agile Feint, Redirect, Set-up], Athletics 5 (+10), Deception 5 (+6) [Redirect, Set-up, Taunt], Insight 0 (+1), Intimidation 0 (+1), Perception 0 (+2), Persuasion 0 (+1), Stealth 0 (+13), Technology 4 (+5).

Offense
Initiative +37
Cyclone (Area Move Object 5), Unarmed +15 (Damage 5), Whirlwind (Area Damage 5)

Defenses
Parry 16, Dodge 16, Fort 6, Will 2, Toughness 6

Power Points
Abilities 44 + Powers 109 + Advantages 5 + Skills 8 + Defenses 4 = Total 170 points

Complications
Motivation: Quicksilver is about family and responsibility.
Prejudice: Quicksilver is a mutant.
Relationships: Protecting the Scarlet Witch has always been high on Quicksilver’s priority list. He’d like to salvage his relationships with Crystal and Luna. At times, he tries to make up with Magneto as well.
Reputation: Quicksilver’s generally thought of as a jerk. It’s generally accurate. He’s also often considered to be Magneto’s heir, which he doesn’t want.
Rivalry: When Quicksilver isn’t feeling charitably toward his father, he makes a point of opposing him.
Temper: Quicksilver’s entire life is standing in line for the ATM behind someone who doesn’t even understand the machine. He’s irritable.

Notes
Like a lot of us, I got used to thinking of Quicksilver as much less than the Flash since OHTMU gave him a top speed and it wasn’t measured in fractions of the speed of light. Doing the research for this build I found a few measures of his speed, and it’s way, way above Mach 1, or even the Mach 3-4 later OHTMU volumes give. Top speed measure I found was circling half the world in 92 seconds, so I went with that for his maximum speed.

Unlike the Flashes, Quicksilver’s Quickness isn’t on par with his Speed. This forces him to slow down in buit-up areas, giving the impression he’s slower than he is. I don’t regard that as a Limitation or Complication; it’s just a natural consequence of Speed, just like you can’t control a car doing 120 through a hairpin turn. Northstar can cut lose more because he flies; that’s why he pays twice as much for his movement power.
Jack of Spades' Builds

jspade
Collaborator
Collaborator

Jack of Spades: Scarlet Witch

Postby jspade » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:27 am

Scarlet WitchPL 11
    Wanda Maximoff
Abilities
STR 0, STA 2, AGL 1, DEX 3, FGT 2, INT 1, AWE 4, PRE 2

Powers
Hex Spheres: Shapable Area Damage 11, Variable Descriptor (Accidents) • 34 points
    AE Blessing: Ranged Healing 6, Persistent, Restorative, Stabilize • 1 point
    AE Curse: Perception Affliction 11 (Dodge; Impaired & Dazed, Disabled & Prone), Extra Condition, Limited Degree, Variable Descriptor (Accidents) • 1 point
    AE Decay: Ranged Weaken Toughness 11 (Fort), Affects Objects • 1 point
    AE Explosions: Ranged Burst Damage 11 • 1 point
    AE Hex Bolt: Ranged Damage 14, Affects Insubstantial 2, Variable Descriptor (Chaos) • 1 point
    AE Hex Shield: Close Nullify 16 (Attacks requiring line of sight), Broad, Effortless, Triggered (Being attacked); Senses 1 (Danger Sense), Limited to Trigger • 1 point
    AE Reality Alteration: Variable 6 (Probability Effects, 30 points), Check Required (Expertise: Magic DC12), Tiring • 1 point
Advantages
Extraordinary Effort, Languages (English, Latin, Russian), Precise Attack (Ranged Cover & Concealment), Ritualist, Teamwork, Trance

Skills
Athletics 0 (+0), Deception 2 (+4), Expertise: Magic 11 (+12) [Ritualist], Insight 6 (+10), Intimidation 0 (+2), Perception 2 (+6), Performance: Dance 8 (+10), Persuasion 0 (+2), Ranged Combat: Hexes 5 (+8), Sleight of Hand 4 (+7), Stealth 0 (+1), Vehicles 2 (+5).

Offense
Initiative +1
Hex Sphere (Area Damage 11), Curse (Perception Affliction 11), Decay +8 (Ranged Weaken 11), Explosion +8 (Ranged Area Damage 11), Hex Bolt +8 (Ranged Damage 14), Unarmed +2 (Damage 0)

Defenses
Parry 9, Dodge 9, Fort 3, Will 8, Toughness 2

Power Points
Abilities 30 + Powers 41 + Advantages 7 + Skills 20 + Defenses 20 = Total 118 points

Complications
Motivation: Initially, Wanda was trying to redeem her time in the Brotherhood. Now she’s trying to prove she is, on balance, more a boon to humanity and mutant-kind than a threat.
Accident: Wanda frequently doesn’t have full control of her hexes. Indications are that her powers are much more vast than she knows.
Enemy: Her father, Magneto.
Power Loss: Wanda needs her hands free to cast her hexes.
Prejudice: The Scarlet Witch is a mutant.
Reputation: Many in the mutant and superheroic community hate and fear her for her role in culling the mutant population.
Relationships: With her brother, Quicksilver, and her reincarnated children Wiccan and Speed.

Notes
The Scarlet Witch is another one where I let my memories of her overrule current continuity. These days she’s a full-blown magic wielder, but I remember her best as a probability manipulator, causing very unlikely events with a gesture.

The Scarlet Witch is one of the most powerful mutants in the world, with the potential to do nearly anything. Her poor control of her powers has been a continual theme; she’s often as dangerous to her allies as her enemies. That said, she’s a total glass canon; if she doesn’t have a hex shield up to stop an attack, she can be taken down with a thrown bottle.

Wanda’s “magic” isn’t technically magic, but it obeys the game rules for such. It’s actually a manifestation of her mutant power, but she uses Celtic magic techniques, as taught by Agatha Harkness, to control it.
Jack of Spades' Builds

jspade
Collaborator
Collaborator

Jack of Spades: Lorelei of the Savage Land

Postby jspade » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:16 pm

LoreleiPL 10
    Lani Ubanu
Abilities
STR −1, STA 1, AGL 1, DEX 0, FGT 2, INT −1, AWE 1, PRE 1

Powers
Hypnotic Voice: Cumulative Hearing Area Affliction 10 (Will; Entranced, Compelled, Controlled), Concentration, Instant Recovery, Limited to men, Selective, Subtle • 31 points
    AE Paralytic Song: Cumulative Hearing Area Affliction 10 (Will; Entranced, Stunned, Paralyzed), Concentration, Instant Recovery, Limited to men, Selective, Subtle • 1 point
Advantages
Attractive, Seize Initiative.

Skills
Athletics 2 (+1), Deception 0 (+1/+3) [Attractive], Expertise: Survival 4 (+3), Insight 0 (+1), Intimidation 0 (+1), Perception 0 (+0), Persuasion 3 (+4/+6) [Attractive], Stealth 3 (+4).

Offense
Initiative +1
Hypnotic Song (Perception Area Affliction 10), Paralytic Song (Perception Area Affliction 10), Unarmed 2 (Damage −1).

Defenses
Parry 4, Dodge 6, Fort 3, Will 1, Toughness 1

Power Points
Abilities 8 + Powers 32 + Advantages 2 + Skills 6 + Defenses 9 = Total 57 points

Complications
Motivation: Lorelei is easily led and will generally attach herself ot a strong personality and do as she’s asked.
Power Loss: Lorelei must be able to sing or speak in order to use her powers.

Notes
Lorelei’s one of Magneto’s Savage Land mutates who he imported into the Brotherhood when he put the band back together. She’s not even technically a mutant, and from what little I can track down she’s a pretty dim bulb.

Lorelei’s a total one-trick pony; her hypnotic song is very effective, but only against men. At a whopping PL 3 on defense, she’ll keep the boys out of things just long enough for one of the girls to punch her in the nose, and then she’s done.
Jack of Spades' Builds

JoshuaDunlow
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Jack of Spades: Toad, Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, Lorele

Postby JoshuaDunlow » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:37 pm

AE Magic-slayer: Damage 11, Affects Insubstantial 2, Alternate Resistance (Will), Dimensional 2 (Astral), Limited to magical & living things, Penetrating 11, Removable (Only works for others if allowed, −5) • 1 point

I hope you don't mind a little criticism. Considering you are making a character in the marvel setting. The limitation is rather broad. It might be better to say, what it cannot hurt. Like Robots for example. If your specifying who can use the device, that would work better as a quirk.

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Jabroniville » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:21 pm

Nice stuff- cool to see obscure types like Lorelei.

Illyana is arguably one of the single biggest pains in the ass in all of comics to stat up- a mass Teleporter (an expensive power), with a Device that she can Summon at-will and use to Nullify stuff (a tricky power to utilize and stat), damage only certain things (messing with her PL, making it foe-specific), and add to that the fact that she's uber-powerful within Limbo using SORCERY. It took me FOREVER to figure her out.

Regarding Magma & Magik, I agree that it was more happenstance and accident as much as anything. I could always tell them apart because Illyana always had the straightest hair, while Amara's was always fairly wild/curly, and she was a bit more glamorous and curvy compared to the fairly lithe Magik. That and the fact that 9 times out of 10, Illyana would get the lines instead of Magma, who was basically a forgotten character as soon as she showed up :).

Too bad, too- the whole "Lava User" character is REALLY under-utilized in comics- the closest ones I can even think of are Volcana (who is basically just a Blaster with no Earth Control feats), and that nobody Volcano God of the Mayan Pantheon. And certainly she'd be easier to write than Illyana's grab-bag of weird stuff. But like Horsenhero said, Magma didn't have the advantage of being semi-evil, uber-powerful, a bit disturbingly/violently sexy, and also wasn't a Teleporter (one of Claremont's favourite power-sets since it justifies his fetish for world travel- he adds one to most of his X-teams).

jspade
Collaborator
Collaborator

Postby jspade » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:22 pm

JoshuaDunlow wrote:

I hope you don't mind a little criticism. Considering you are making a character in the marvel setting. The limitation is rather broad. It might be better to say, what it cannot hurt. Like Robots for example. If your specifying who can use the device, that would work better as a quirk.

I don't mind criticism; improving the builds is why I post them. They're being used in my current campaign. The limitation shows the build evolving; it was originally "Limited to magical things", then I noticed both she and Pixie could damage people, just not kill them. What do you think of "Limited to magic items and things with PRE?" And if I did my math right, the "requires permission to use" bit is costed as a feature, reducing the number of points she gets back for Removable by 1.

Jabroniville wrote:Nice stuff- cool to see obscure types like Lorelei.

I'm trying to hit all the surviving members of the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants at the moment.

Jabroniville wrote:Illyana is arguably one of the single biggest pains in the ass in all of comics to stat up- a mass Teleporter (an expensive power), with a Device that she can Summon at-will and use to Nullify stuff (a tricky power to utilize and stat), damage only certain things (messing with her PL, making it foe-specific), and add to that the fact that she's uber-powerful within Limbo using SORCERY. It took me FOREVER to figure her out.

Illyana's actually a less powerful teleporter than one of my PCs. : ) Since I decided she could use the Soulsword on anything living, she got less target-specific, so she comes in at a somewhat-limited-vs-robots PL 10 for me. My general take is that Limbo is her Headquarters and she can buy powers there as part of it. In the campaign at the moment she's in full-on Darkchylde mode, which gives her a couple of Alternate Effects off the Soulsword for hellfire blasts & stuff and a significant stat boost, as well as a PL bump to 13. I'll tack that on to the end of her entry.
Jack of Spades' Builds

Setothes
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Setothes » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:51 am

Jabroniville wrote: Too bad, too- the whole "Lava User" character is REALLY under-utilized in comics- the closest ones I can even think of are Volcana (who is basically just a Blaster with no Earth Control feats), and that nobody Volcano God of the Mayan Pantheon.

DC's Geo-Force, from the Outsiders (and, blink and you missed it, the Justice League, briefly) also shot lava blasts, IIRC (and, as only happens in comic books, could shoot them at the ground and fly, presumably leaving unimaginable devastation in his wake...).

Gosh, even by the standards of head-scratchingly non-lethal combat involving lightning bolts and flame blasts and adamantium straight razors coming out of your knuckles, shooting *lava* at people seems crazy dangerous... Is there a not terribly gruesome and deadly way to pour molten rock on someone? :)

Still, Magma had the greatest origin (a secret society of ancient Romans living deep in the Amazon, transplanted there by an immortal vampire sorceress? It's so crazy it could work!) and an amazing visual effect, all red and yellow swirls. I kind of wanted her to whip Empath into semi-likability and together, they'd fight crime.

Her powers are great. Much of the versatility of an earth controller like Terra *and* a flame user like the Human Torch.

jspade wrote: LoreleiPL 10

Great to see the original Lorelei! After this weeks Agents of SHIELD, I was expecting the Asgardian version, only to be pleasantly surprise. I've always thought that the Savage Land Mutates (and the Savage Land in general) were sorely underused (and not 'used' in the sense of 'omega threat of the event shows up and destroys the place, again...'). Whatever alien machines allowed Magneto to empower those mutates are still lying around, and could be the source for dozens of new mutates, perhaps from other Savage Land races, such as the winged dudes, the two different pterodactyl-men races, or the 'zebra men' or whatever (and of whom would automatically have a more striking visual than the 'swamp men').

Return to “Roll Call”