Jack of Spades: Mystique, Avalanche, Growth, Juggernaut

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.
danelsan
Daredevil
Daredevil

Re: Jack of Spades: Magneto, Vanisher, Banshee

Postby danelsan » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:25 am

Jabroniville wrote:The best part about The Vanisher (who was also a big part of the Fallen Angels Limited Series) is that his real name was Telford Porter. I mean, can you imagine the coincidence? It's like how the tiny inventor of DC's Fearsome Five JUST HAPPENED to be named Mikron O’Jeneus.

Well, at least it has nothing to do with his actual powers, but Blackagar Boltagon is quite forced as well. Not to mention a certain doctor born in Latveria...
My DeviantArt page
Batgirl avatar by ArtNerdEm

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Horsenhero » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:31 am

danelsan wrote:
Jabroniville wrote:The best part about The Vanisher (who was also a big part of the Fallen Angels Limited Series) is that his real name was Telford Porter. I mean, can you imagine the coincidence? It's like how the tiny inventor of DC's Fearsome Five JUST HAPPENED to be named Mikron O’Jeneus.

Well, at least it has nothing to do with his actual powers, but Blackagar Boltagon is quite forced as well. Not to mention a certain doctor born in Latveria...

Well, this sort of naming convention was one of the hallmarks of the Silver Age of comics (aka the 1960's-70's). A name that alluded to the hero/villains' powers or an alliterative name were all pretty common.

jspade
Collaborator
Collaborator

Postby jspade » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:29 am

Seriously, why do Inhumans even have names like Blackagar Boltagon? I'd be perfectly willing to believe Black Bolt was his name.
Jack of Spades' Builds

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Horsenhero » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:38 am

jspade wrote:Seriously, why do Inhumans even have names like Blackagar Boltagon? I'd be perfectly willing to believe Black Bolt was his name.

Especially since all the other Inhumans "code-names" are their actual names. However, I was all of a year old in 1965 when they made their first appearance, so I have no idea what Lee & Kirby were thinking when they created them.

jspade
Collaborator
Collaborator

Jack of Spades: Sunfire

Postby jspade » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:34 pm

SunfirePL 11
    Shiro Yashida
Abilities
STR 2, STA 3, AGL 4, DEX 4, FGT 7, INT 0, AWE 0, PRE 1

Powers
Bio-Oxygen Treatment: Immunity 3 (Suffocation, Vacuum) • 3 points

Heat Sense: Senses 1 (Infravision) • 1 point

Heatproof: Immunity 10 (All heat & fire effects) • 10 points

Plasma Blast: Ranged Damage 12 • 24 points
    AE Aura: Reaction Plasma Damage +6 • 1 point
    AE Plasma Stream: Ranged Multiattack Damage 8 • 1 point
    AE Sunlight: Selective Environment 4 (Extreme heat, Daylight) • 1 point
Plasma Aura: Reaction Plasma Damage 3, Sustained; Immunity 1 (Environmental Cold), Sustained; Flight 7 (250 mph); Immunity 10 (Projectiles), Move Action • 18 points

Advantages
Agile Feint, All-Out Attack, Defensive Roll 2, Inspire 2, Move-By Action, Power Attack

Skills
Acrobatics 6 (+10), Athletics 6 (+8), Deception 4 (+5), Insight 0 (+0), Intimidation 8 (+9), Perception 4 (+4), Persuasion 0 (+1), Ranged Combat: Plasma 6 (+10), Stealth 0 (+4).

Offense
Initiative +4
Plasma Aura (Damage 3-9), Plasma Blast +10 (Ranged Damage 12), Unarmed +7 (Damage 2)

Defenses
Parry 10, Dodge 12, Fort 3, Will 5, Toughness 5/3*
* without Defensive Roll

Power Points
Abilities 42 + Powers 59 + Advantages 8 + Skills 17 + Defenses 16 = Total 142 points

Complications
Motivation – Patriotism/Acceptance: As a hero, Sunfire is principally a Japanese patriot; as a villain, he’s trying to figure out his place in the world.
Fame & Reputation: Sunfire is one of the most prominent heroes of Japan, though he’s now a fallen hero. He’s also generally considered to be an arrogant jerk.
Hatred: Sunfire has never entirely gotten over his uncle’s anti-western teachings, and is generally insufferable to Americans, though no longer outright violent.
Prejudice: Sunfire is a mutant.

Notes
I don’t have a lot of exposure to Sunfire; the only real appearance of his I read (other than Messiah Complex and Giant-Sized X-Men #1) was a battle with Iron Man back in the ‘70s, before he became an X-Man. That doesn’t even seem to warrant a footnote these days. All the third-party sources seem to agree he’s a badass though, so he got the benefit of the doubt and is on par with my Human Torch.

Sunfire generates plasma, but as far as I know doesn’t control it like the Torch does, so he can’t throw fireballs or create flaming constructs. He can, though, create light, and apparently post-Famine can operate in space.

Really, Sunfire as Famine? What? I mean, I could see it if he was out scorching the earth and causing actual famines, but strobowhatsis hunger generation? I ignored it.
Last edited by jspade on Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack of Spades' Builds

Earth-Two_Kenn
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Earth-Two_Kenn » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:49 pm

Horsenhero wrote:Wasn't that Shaun Cassidy?

He certainly had the hair for it though, and Shaun Cassidy playing Sean Cassidy would be amusing.

Yes. Thanks for playing. ;)
Over eleven hundred DCA/M&M Character builds at http://www.rcuhero.net

jspade
Collaborator
Collaborator

Jack of Spades: Wolverine

Postby jspade » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:05 pm

WolverinePL 11
    James "Logan" Howlett
Abilities
STR 3, STA 8, AGL 5, DEX 3, FGT 11, INT 2, AWE 8, PRE 1

Powers
Adamantium Claws: Lethal Strength-based Damage 8, Penetrating 8, Improved Critical, Precise • 18 points

Adamantium Skeleton: Impervious Toughness 5, Limited to Bludgeoning & Cutting • 5 points

Berzerker Rage: Enhanced Advantages 1 (Diehard); Immunity 10 (Mental effects), Limited to half effect, Limited: Berzerker behavior; Regeneration 10, Limited: Berzerker behavior • 9 points

Healing Factor: Healing 10, Limited to Self, Move Action, Restorative; Immunity 4 (Aging, Disease, Lasting injuries, Poison); Protection 2; Regeneration 2 • 37 points

Heightened Senses: Senses 7 (Acute Ranged Olfaction, Extended Olfaction, Extended Hearing, Tracking 2 Smell) • 7 points

Advantages
All-Out Attack, Animal Empathy, Beginner’s Luck, Diehard, Hide in Plain Sight, Improved Initiative, Languages 3 (Cheyenne, Chinese, English, French, Japanese, Lakota, Russian, Spanish, Vietnamese), Power Attack, Ranged Attack 3, Startle, Takedown (Close)

Skills
Acrobatics 6 (+11), Athletics 11 (+14), Close Combat: Unarmed 4 (+15), Deception 0 (+1), Expertise: Government Agent 2 (+4), Insight 0 (+8), Intimidation 13 (+14), Perception 7 (+15) [Tracking], Persuasion 0 (+1), Ranged Combat: Guns 2 (+8), Stealth 9 (+14) [Hide in Plain Sight], Vehicles 2 (+5).

Offense
Initiative +9
Claws +11 (Lethal Damage 11, Crit 19-20), Unarmed +15 (Damage 3)

Defenses
Parry 12, Dodge 10, Fort 8, Will 9, Toughness 10

Power Points
Abilities 82 + Powers 76 + Advantages 14 + Skills 28 + Defenses 12 = Total 214 points

Complications
Prejudice: Wolverine gives mutants a bad name.
Reputation: The best there is at what he does, and what he does is brutally murder people with a handful of indestructible knives. He’s also a loner and a loose cannon, and likes to hang around with underage girls.
Temper: Wolverine goes berzerk and may not distinguish friends and enemies.
Weakness: Wolverine's Adamantium skeleton is susceptible to magnetic effects.

Notes
Wolverine’s my least-favorite X-Man. The idea that the X-Men are defined by a casual killer is one reason I’ve not read it for years. I blame his popularity for the dark age of comics. So it’s hard for me to give him a fair shake.

Wolverine is quite the fighter, made more so by the fact that he’s basically willing to ignore the defense. I like the mechanics of Healing better than Regeneration; being injured does slow him down, but not for long, and if he has a second to catch his breath he’s basically fine.

His biggest power, in realistic terms, is a 1 point Immunity; he doesn’t take lasting injuries. Cutting someone’s legs off isn’t Damage, it’s a Complication; Logan doesn’t have those. He also has Beginner’s Luck to represent his ability to ass-pull skills from his murky past.

Wolverine blows the cost curve of the X-Men, but given how overXposed he is, that's not surprising.
Last edited by jspade on Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jack of Spades' Builds

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Jack of Spades: Vanisher, Banshee, Sunfire, Wolverine

Postby Horsenhero » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:10 pm

Wolverine isn't my least favorite X-man...but he's pretty close. I honestly think that the bi-polar attempts to make the character more of a killer, followed by attempts to clean up his character have done more to ruin the character in my eyes than anything.

Sunfire on the other hand is a character I really thought had potential, but he's consistantly written as a borderline racist (certainly cultural elitist), jackass...which kind of ruins him for me. I do remember him taking Iron Man to the woodshed back in an issue of I.M. I read in the '70's, so he's at least a middle tier badass.

Unfortunately, when All New, All Different X-Men premiered, there was only room for one real jerk on the team and that role would go to Wolverine. The other two jerks had to go. Sunfire immediately quit and Thunderbird died (an early heroic sacrifice...his third appearance and he gets snuffed).

jspade
Collaborator
Collaborator

Postby jspade » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:20 am

I concur about Sunfire, but to me he's redeemed over Wolverine because the writers don't seem to expect us to like him. He's not a psycho disguised as a noble savage, tortured by animal urges no one could control; he's just a jerk, and everyone treats him like one. Sunfire is called on his BS and storms off in a huff. Only Scott calls Wolverine on his, so we're stuck with him.
Jack of Spades' Builds

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Horsenhero » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:57 pm

jspade wrote:I concur about Sunfire, but to me he's redeemed over Wolverine because the writers don't seem to expect us to like him. He's not a psycho disguised as a noble savage, tortured by animal urges no one could control; he's just a jerk, and everyone treats him like one. Sunfire is called on his BS and storms off in a huff. Only Scott calls Wolverine on his, so we're stuck with him.

And Scott is the one fans most dislike...because being responsible is boring.

cbwjm
Henchman
Henchman

Postby cbwjm » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:30 pm

Horsenhero wrote:
jspade wrote:I concur about Sunfire, but to me he's redeemed over Wolverine because the writers don't seem to expect us to like him. He's not a psycho disguised as a noble savage, tortured by animal urges no one could control; he's just a jerk, and everyone treats him like one. Sunfire is called on his BS and storms off in a huff. Only Scott calls Wolverine on his, so we're stuck with him.

And Scott is the one fans most dislike...because being responsible is boring.

Actually, I always felt he was just boring. I never found his power set interesting at all and now? Scott has turned into one of the biggest jerks ever. It's like he's become a mutant supremest, humanity be damned. At least that was how he was when I was last reading Marvel. Been a few months now but I assume he was the same.

If being responsible was boring then no one would like Captain America.

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Horsenhero » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:00 pm

The difference is Scott was changed in an effort for fans to find him more interesting...and Captain America isn't that popular. Until Ed Brubaker's run on the book, Cap has never been a top seller at Marvel, not even when John Byrne was on the book and everyone assumed everything Byrne touched would be gold. The Captain America and Avengers' movie have helped propel Cap into a top tier book, pretty much the same thing that happened with Iron Man.

greycrusader
Superhero
Superhero

Postby greycrusader » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:41 pm

I really enjoyed your takes on both Sunfire and Wolverine-still not sure if Healing is really appropriate, since the mechanics of how the character is depicted tend to favor Regeneration instead, though the earlier version of the character definitely seemed to need a "time-out" to fully close up wounds and mend completely. The Immunity to Lasting Injuries is a really nice touch, one I never thought about, really-basically in game terms a hero or villain with this power isn't be subject to any permanent or continuous Affliction, though maybe a Limited: Half-Effect modifier would be appropriate for characters who just recover from otherwise lifelong debilitating injuries.

You did a pretty good job on Sunfire's power-set, given that long-lasting but minor characters suffer from multiple revisions to their abilities, concepts, and personalities, as new writers to to "push" them to prominence/popularity. Absolutely right call to ignore the whole "Famine/Hunger" incarnation, mercifully short-lived as it was. And yeah, mostly he just generates a plasma aura, can fly, fire blasts, and survive in some extreme conditions (really impressive, actually); Sunfire's no Human Torch in terms of versatility, control, or even (if the Nova Blast is considered) raw power.

All my best.
The Contingent: When all other super teams fail...

cbwjm
Henchman
Henchman

Postby cbwjm » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:51 pm

I was thinking more of Cap in his role as leader of the Avengers in comparison to Cyclop's role as leader of the X-men. Cap was always one of my favourite Avengers, Cyclops was never one of my favourite X-men. If the writers wanted to make Cyclops more interesting then they succeeded by making readers hate him even more, except now there are actual reasons for it instead of just finding him uninteresting.

And as bad as Wolverine gets, he always tries to do better. Last I read was that he reopened the school because he thought that mutant children should be children rather than the teenage super soldiers Cyclops wanted them to be.

Don't get me wrong, sales aside, this is pretty much us arguing why we like or dislike characters. It's kinda why I like comics, we can spend so much time debating them which shows how much we love them :)

And yeah, Sunfire is kind of a jerk.

jspade
Collaborator
Collaborator

Postby jspade » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:34 pm

cbwjm wrote:Actually, I always felt he was just boring. I never found his power set interesting at all and now? Scott has turned into one of the biggest jerks ever.

Scott's power set isn't all that interesting but, as I note in my writeup, I don't really consider that the main thing he brings to the table. Guile heroes have been out of fashion for some time, and where Scott is most valuable is as the brains behind the X-Men. Given a team that will follow him, my read is that he's a better tactician than Captain America; Cap, however, can get anyone to follow him and inspire them to do a better job than they would ever do on their own.

And yeah, killing Xavier has sent Scott off the deep end. But he's an interesting jerk, with more to say than "Snikt, bub."

greycrusader wrote:[...]still not sure if Healing is really appropriate, since the mechanics of how the character is depicted tend to favor Regeneration instead, though the earlier version of the character definitely seemed to need a "time-out" to fully close up wounds and mend completely.

Glad you liked it, greycrusader. You have a point there, and that probably has a lot to do with the fact that my opinion of Wolverine was formed in the Cockrum & Byrne years and hasn't really changed. As I see it, in play he will use Healing as long as he's damaged, effectively turning it into a Daze until he's all better; since Healing starts on the worst damage, and Regeneration on the least dangerous, he'll bounce back faster at the cost of actually acting like he's hurt for a bit.
Jack of Spades' Builds

Return to “Roll Call”