Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

JD's 3E Thread: More fantasy NPCS ?

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.

Re: JD's 3E: The 3E Fantasy Project

Postby JoshuaDunlow » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:23 pm

dwellerofthedeep wrote:Keep it up , JD! I'm loving the fantasy materials especially.

Thanks, I'm thinking of tackling the generic race templates. And I'll probably start with the dwarf, cause I have an interesting build solution to a problem I have with Dwarves having the shrinking power.
JoshuaDunlow
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

The Generic Dwarf

Postby JoshuaDunlow » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:56 pm

The Generic Dwarf Template (8pp)
Ability Adjustments (0pp): +1 Stamina (sturdy), -1 Agility (bulky)
Defensive Adjustments (1pp): +1 Stubborn
Starting Skills (1pp): Expertise 3* (specify)
Starting Advantages (2pp): Close Combat 1, Languages 1 (dwarf, common)
Powers (4pp):
Dwarf Physiology (Multiple Powers as One)
• Bright Eyes: Senses 1 (Low light Vision; • 1)
• Longevity: Feature ( Can live 3-4 times longer than humans; • 1)
• Stone Work Senses: (+2 to perception checks to detect things like traps, and hidden items in stone work; • 1 )

Dwarven Grudges (optional): Dwaves have a natural hatred for several creatures. Though in their psyche, some become fanatic slayers and often develope skills to slay a particular creature. Treat this in the following way: Favored Opponents (goblins, orcs, Giants, or trolls; your pick)

Complications:
Quirks: Personality Traits. Dwarves are Stubborn, and have a general dislike of Elves, and Horses (the later being mostly a fear). Not all dwarves are greedy, but it is a possible personality trait. But many might consider it being Frugal, and Shrewd when it comes to monetary exchanges. Making them good merchants and barterers.

Build Designs
*This template assumes several things, 3skill points per PP spent

It's always been my way of thinking , that the dwarf does not qualify for the Shrinking power. Because I do not see them having all the benefits and penalties that come with it. So i took the build, and brought it down to the core "description" of the race and built it from there. I treat negative adjustments as a Quirk within the power. And put a nice descriptor to justify why they have these adjustments. I also tried to keep everything is down to earth and simple as possible.
Last edited by JoshuaDunlow on Tue May 28, 2013 2:09 pm, edited 8 times in total.
JoshuaDunlow
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Generic Elf

Postby JoshuaDunlow » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:25 pm

Generic Elf Template (13pp)
Ability Adjustments:-1 Stamina "Light" , +1 Agility "Graceful"
Defensive Adjustments:
Starting Skills: Expertise:Expertise: Survival 3 (• 1 pp)
Starting Advantages: Languages 1 (Elven, Common), Ranged Combat 1, Favored Environment (Forests) (• 3pp)
Powers: (9pp)
Elf Physiology (Multiple powers as one)
• Senses: Low Light Vision (bright eyed), Extended Hearing (delicate ears) (• 2pp)
• Charmed: Feature (+2 to resist Emotion Control of any descriptor; • 1pp)
• Fay: Immunity (Disease, Cold Environments, Hot Environment, Vampirism (uncommon); • 5pp)
• Ageless: Feature (Lives 5-6 longer than humans; • 1pp)

Complications:
Quirks: Personality Traits. Elves are generally an alouf and distant race, only because of their long lives. Elves feel emotional bounds much stronger than others, and usually are extremely loyal once their friendship or love is given. Also elves have been known to fall to the trait of Pride and Ego, feeling that they are far more superior to other beings.
Last edited by JoshuaDunlow on Tue May 28, 2013 1:51 pm, edited 5 times in total.
JoshuaDunlow
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Halfling Template

Postby JoshuaDunlow » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:58 pm

The Generic Halfling Template (10pp)
Ability Adjustments (0pp): -1 Strength, +1 Dexterity
Defensive Adjustments (0pp):
Starting Skills (1pp): Expertise 3 (specify), Persuasion 3,
Starting Advantages (1pp): Languages 1 (Halfling, Common)
Powers (8):
Halfling Physiology (Multiple powers as one)
• Small Size: Shrinking 2 (permanent; +1 active defenses , -1 Intimidate; +2 Stealth; Innate; •5pp)
• Bright Eyes: Senses 1 (Low light vision; •1pp)
• Leathery Sole: Feature (can walk around barefoot, even walk in a fire, without harming their feet; •1pp)
• Charmed Life: Feature (Can live twice as long as humans can; •1pp)

Complications:
Quirks: Personality Traits. Haflings are a simple and quaint folk. Who would rather live in peace and quiet, then adventure. However the possess a wisdom and charm, many big folk find endearing to them. Halflings can be curious, and gullible for their own good.
Last edited by JoshuaDunlow on Tue May 28, 2013 1:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
JoshuaDunlow
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Cultural Templates/ The races of men.

Postby JoshuaDunlow » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:35 pm

Cultural Templates
Something I have always found interesting was the use of Cultural Templates; as a way of showing Elves growing up as Barbians or Nomadic Halfings, etc.. They provide additional skill selections, that add background to the character being created, making it seem more "alive" then just a bunch of numbers. This is also usually the default Human Race Template, since creating one , has little adjustment otherwise.

* Remember if your not using the optional mass chart, don't give them a modifier to their strength.

Barbarian Cultures (9pp)
Barbarian cultures grow up on the fringes of civilized areas, usually in extreme or hard climates. Such regions which are normally inhospital to "Decent" folk. Barbarians make stout and sturdy folk, used to a very rigorous living.
Ability Modifiers: +1 Strength *, +1 to Stamina
Defensive Modifiers: +2 Fortitude
Skill Selections: Expertise: Survival (3, particular climate), Athletics 3
Advantage Selections: None
Powers:
• Climate Tolerance: Feature (Gain a +5 to resist temperature extremes in a specific climate; chosen when created)
Complications:
Prejudice (Barbarians). Generally a barbarian has a bad reputation, and doesn't know how to "read". If you can, come up with a good reason with the guidance of your GM.

Civiilzed Cultures (4pp)
Those who grow up in civilized cultures, tend to get the best forms of education one can imagine compared to other cultures.

Ability Modifiers: +1 to Intellect
Defensive Modifiers: None
Skill Selections: Expertise 3 (Specify)
Advantage Selections: Languages (1 extra)

Decadent Cultures (5pp)
Decadent cultures are those civilized cultures which have been around for so long, that the structure of their society has begun to decay. Corruption is quite common in such a culture, where everyone is only looking out for themselves.

Ability Modifiers: +1 Intellect or Presence
Defensive Modifiers: +1 to Willpower
Skill Selections: Expertise 3 (specify), Insight or Persuasion 3

Nomadic Cultures (8pp)
Nomads are groups of people that tend to roam lands with no permanent home, they have to be extremley dependent and be able to work well with in their own groups.

Ability Modifiers: +1 Agility or Stamina, and +1 Awareness or Presence
Defensive Modifiers: +1 Fortitude or Willpower
Skill Selections: Expertise (Survival) 3, Expertise (Animal Handling) 3, Athletics 3
Last edited by JoshuaDunlow on Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JoshuaDunlow
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Half Elves

Postby JoshuaDunlow » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:46 pm

Generic Half-Elf Template (10pp)
Ability Adjustments (2pp): +1 Presence
Defensive Adjustments: None
Starting Skills (1pp): Expertise (specify) 3
Starting Advantages (1pp): Languages 2 (Elven, Common, Specific Human Language)
Powers: (6pp)
Half-Elf Physiology (Multiple powers as one)
• Senses: Low Light Vision (bright eyed), Extended Hearing (delicate ears) (• 2pp)
• Charmed: Feature (+2 to resist Emotion Control of any descriptor; • 1pp)
• Fay: Immunity (Disease, Cold Environments, Hot Environment; Limited (1/2 save); • 2pp)
• Long Lived: Feature (Lives 2-3 times longer than humans; • 1pp)

Complications:
Quirks: Personality Traits. Half Elves are torn between two origins, which often makes many feel they do not fit in anywhere. Often becoming nomadic nature and loners.
Prejudice. Some half elves are treated as a "third-class" citizen, no better than criminals and outlaws.
Last edited by JoshuaDunlow on Tue May 28, 2013 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JoshuaDunlow
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

The Elder Race Template

Postby JoshuaDunlow » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:18 pm

The Generic Elder Race Template (14pp)
Often in Fantasy there are stories of an Ancient Race of Man, thousands of years ago, who stood at the pinnacle of Society where Magic and Technology Blended together (often though in more high fantasy tones). This race may still exist, or might only be found in weak blood lines that have mingled in with their lesser human cousins over the ages.

Ability Modifiers (2pp): +1 Intellect (Smart)
Defensive Modifiers (2pp): +2 Will (Strong willed)
Skill Selections (1pp): Expertise 3
Starting Advantages (2pp):Languages 2 (Common, Native Human, & Ancient Human)
Powers (3pp):
Elder-Race Physiology (Multiple powers as one)
• Long Lived: Feature (can live 2-3 times longer than normal humans; •1pp)
• Elder Race: Immunity (Disease, Poison, Fatigue, Need for Sleep; Limited (Half Effect); •2pp)
Elder Power (4pp)
• Elder folk generally have a magical power of some type, this power is worth no more than 4 pp's.

In more High-Fantasy Campaigns the Elder Race may possess a unique magical artifact (device).
Last edited by JoshuaDunlow on Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.
JoshuaDunlow
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Monetary Systems in Fantasy

Postby JoshuaDunlow » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:41 pm

Monetary systems in Fantasy
The general "Default" assumption in any M&M system, is that the less you have to worry about money the better. Equipment points generally take over for the need to use a complicated conversion system of different items, but generally I believe getting money and spending it is half the fun!! For now we will just talk about coinage, as I continue to work on my Fantasy Document.

Metals:
In a generic fantasy , which is often the staple of D&D. Copper, Silver, Electrum, Gold and Platinum are used with a 10 per ratio. Though I have often liked using much more realistic monetary systems. Copper, Bronze, Silver, and Gold, are usually my favorite metal ranges. With the conversion being 20 for the next coin. In my Karmyth Setting, I generally tag names onto the metals to add a little flavor, giving us the Copper Penny, the Bronze Bar, the silver Guilder, Gold Crown, and Platinum Star.

The Copper Penny is the most common form of currency, and is typically round in shape. It's abbreviation is CP.
The Bronze Bar, us twice as big as the Copper Penny, but in the shape of a bar, that can broken into two for even more accurate exchanges. It's abbreviation is BB.
The Silver Guilder, most peasants dream about even having one of these! The Guilder is often used in Mercantile Transactions, and is more often used in large houses of economy. It is in the same shape and size as the copper penny, and stamped usually with a sign of prosperity that pertains to the culture. The abbreviation is SG.
The Gold Crown, is an uncommon coin. Though you may fin more amongst the nobility and royalty. It is in the same shape and size as the copper penny, but stamped with some royal symbol. Its abbreviation is GC.
The Platinum Star This coin is rare, and not many are ever minted. It's abbreviation is PS.

Monetary Units:
1 Platinum Star = 20 Gold Crowns = 400 silver Guilders = 8000 Bronze Bars = 160000 copper pennies.
1 Gold Crown = 20 Silver Guilders = 400 Bronze Bars = 8000 Copper Pennies.
1 Silver Guilder = 20 Bronze bars = 400 Copper Pennies
1 Bronze Bar = 20 Copper Pennies

I will work out a system for determining Starting Money based off several different ways, but mostly through the Social Class System I introduced earlier.

Converting D&D prices:
The D&D Copper Piece is converted directly into Copper Pennies.
The D&D Silver Piece is converted directly into Bronze Bits in the new system.
The D&D gold piece converts into 5 Silver guilders. Divide Treasure charts by 4.
The D&D Platinum Piece converts into 5 Gold Crowns. Divide Treasure charts by 20.

Starting Money
If we used the standard D&D setting the average amount of money ranges from 80 to 120 gold pieces. I use social status to determine the initial randomness of

Social Class
Servant (1d20 SG)
Peasant (2d20 SG)
Tradesman (3d20 SG)
Militant/Academic (4d20 SG)
Merchant / Land owning (5d20 SG)
Nobility (6d20 SG)
Royalty (7d20 SG)

Social Standing Modifier
Insignificant (No change to initial money)
Notable (+20 SG)
Prominant (+40 SG)
Influential (+ 60 SG)
Very Influential (+80 SG)

As you can see, this system does not overly modify the standard D&D starting money system. And can still keep things within a moderate range. Well at least till you start buying Wealth modifiers.

Wealth Advantage Modifiers
0 Ranks = No Modifier
1 Ranks = +80 SG
2 ranks = +160 SG
3 ranks = + 240 SG
4 ranks = +320 SG
5 ranks = +400 sG

If you are you using my simplified social class system, which is just a Advantage you spend points on. Use this below.
Poor: Complication. You start with 1d20 +20 SG.
Commoner (No advantage). You start with 40 + 2d20 SG.
Well to do (1 rank). You Start with 80 +2d20 SG.
Upper Class (2 ranks). You start with 120 + 2d20 SG.
Nobility (3 ranks). You start with 160 + 2d20 SG.
Upper Nobility/Lesser Royalty. You start with 200 + 5d20 SG.
Great Royalty. You start with 250 + 5d20 SG.
Last edited by JoshuaDunlow on Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:52 pm, edited 5 times in total.
JoshuaDunlow
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: LOTR: Balrog

Postby JoshuaDunlow » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:17 am

deleted cause i double posted the balrog update!
Last edited by JoshuaDunlow on Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
JoshuaDunlow
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: LOTR: Balrog

Postby JoshuaDunlow » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:41 am

JoshuaDunlow wrote:Image

For of the Maiar many were drawn to his (Melkor's) splendor in the days of his greatness, and remained in that allegiance down into his darkness; and others he corrupted afterwards to his service with lies and treacherous gifts. Dreadful among these spirits were the Valarauker, the scourges of fire that in Middle-earth were called the Balrogs, demons of terror.

And in Utumno he gathered his demons about him, those spirits who first adhered to him in the days of his splendor, and became most like him in his corruption: their hearts were of fire, but they were cloaked in darkness, and terror went before them; they had whips of flame. Balrogs they were named in Middle-earth in later days.

Balrog - PL 10

Abilities
Balrog - PL 10

Strength 6, Stamina 5, Agility 2, Dexterity 6, Fighting 8, Intellect 4, Awareness 6, Presence 5

Advantages
All-out Attack, Close Attack 2, Fearless, Great Endurance, Improved Grab, Improved Smash, Improved Trip, Languages 2, Power Attack, Ritualist, Weapon Bind, Weapon Break

Skills
Athletics 6 (+12), Expertise: History 5 (+9), Expertise: Magic 10 (+14), Intimidation 8 (+15), Perception 6 (+12)

Powers
Demon
Great Size: Growth 4 (+4 STR, +4 STA, +2 Intimidate, -4 Stealth, -2 active defenses, +1 size category; Permanent)
Leaping: Leaping 1 (Leap 15 feet at 4 miles/hour)
Of Flame & Shadow: Immunity 13 (Aging, Damage Effect: Fire, Disease, Enviromental Conditions (All), Poison)
Rocky Hide: Protection 5 (+5 Toughness; Impervious)
Senses: Senses 2 (Darkvision)
Fell Power
Cloak of Darkness: Burst Area Concealment Attack 2 (Sense - Sight, DC 12; Burst Area: 30 feet radius sphere, Attack: Fortitude, Feature 6: Improved DC for attack)
Fearsome Presence: Perception Area Affliction 10 (1st degree: Impaired, 2nd degree: Disabled, 3rd degree: Paralyzed, Resisted by: Will, DC 20; Perception Area; Instant Recovery)
Healing: Healing 10
Nullify: Nullify 10 (Counters: Magic, DC 20; Simultaneous)
Fiery Aura: Damage 4 (DC 19; Reaction 3: reaction)
Sword of Fire (Easily Removable)
Sword of Fire: Strength-based Damage 4 (DC 25; Secondary Effect)
Whip of Flame (Easily Removable)
Snare: Snare 5 (Linked; DC 15)
Whip of Fire: Strength-based Damage 3 (Linked; DC 24; Penetrating 5, Reach (melee) 3: 15 ft., Secondary Effect)

Offense
Initiative +2
Cloak of Darkness: Burst Area Concealment Attack 2 (DC Fort 18)
Fearsome Presence: Perception Area Affliction 10 (DC Will 20)
Fiery Aura: Damage 4, +10 (DC 19)
Grab, +10 (DC Spec 16)
Nullify: Nullify 10, +6 (DC Will 20)
Snare: Snare 5, +6 (DC Dog 15)
Sword of Fire: Strength-based Damage 4, +10 (DC 25)
Throw, +6 (DC 21)
Unarmed, +10 (DC 21)
Whip of Fire: Strength-based Damage 3, +10 (DC 24)

Complications
Hatred: All good things. : A balrog is not only hateful of anything good, but of wizards as well.
Motivation: Doing Evil
Responsibility (to Morgoth)
Weakness: The Light of the Valar

Languages
Black Speech, Orc, Westron

Defense
Dodge 0, Parry 8, Fortitude 8, Toughness 10, Will 9

Power Points
Abilities 68 + Powers 94 + Advantages 14 + Skills 12 (35 ranks) + Defenses 8 = 196

Builder’s Notes:
Forget everything you know about Balrogs from the movie, though a stunning creature it bears little resemblance to what Tolkien had traditionally gone for. Even my original build was heavily influenced by the Movie I had to admit, but after doing a lot of digging into many sources, the Balrog began to change. What I have been able to gleam, is that Balrogs are essentially Fallen Maiar. It then became obvious that the Balrog have the power of what qualifies as magic, and at one time did possess the power to shape shift. Even in the little references of the Fellowship. Gandalf found the power of the Balrog a match to his own, or perhaps even greater.

And this ends up my Run on Monsters at least for a little while. This particular build is meant to represent the Balrog in Moria. Unfortunately there is not enough information for me to create a wide variety of dark powers that they would possess, so i am limited to those that i created above.

In my 2nd 3E update to the Balrog, I made him slightly less powerful than I had before. He's still tough as rocks, and can make a group of adventurer's doubt their success. I gave him a few more powers, and tweaked his flaming weapons. Though this is a typical Balrog, and not necessarily the one in Moria. Though he is the only example we have. The secondary effect, was my way of showing characters catching on fire from the Balrog's weapons.
JoshuaDunlow
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby prodigyduck » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:38 pm

A horrifying - but workable - balrog. Well done, sir.
"Terrorism is the tactic of the weak." -Reza Aslan, Muslim Scholar

Mediocrity always attacks excellence.

Please see my MnM Beastiary.
prodigyduck
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby JoshuaDunlow » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:40 pm

Thanks, :) The LOTR setting does not use the optional strength system, I have tried to keep that as close to CORE as possible. And I rather like the race templates I redesigned for my Fantasy Document. The Dwarf one was tricky however. Though I love them all!
JoshuaDunlow
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Fantasy Document: The Brute

Postby JoshuaDunlow » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:52 pm

The Half-Orc (6pp)
The half-orc represents the typical Brute concept as far races go; Part human, part orc, their agressive nature makes them excellent antagonists for the heroes; Just as they might be heroes. The Half-Orc tends to be incredibly tall, considering the parentage of both their species usually don't get that tall. They average 6 1/2 ' tall. They are also incredibly strong, and able to handle great burdens.

Ability Modifiers (0 pp): +1 Stamina, -1 Intellect
Defense Modifiers (0pp):
Skill Selection (1pp): Intimidation 3
Starting Advantages (2pp): Close Combat 1, Advantages 2 (Half orc or Native human, plus Common)
Powers (3pp):
Half-Orc Physiology (Multiple Powers as one)
• Senses 2: Senses (Extended Smell , Low Light vision)
• Barrel Chest: Power lifting 1

Complications:
Prejudice: Half-Orc. Many half-orcs are not accepted in any society, though some exceptions have been made. Their strength and size makes them perfect muscle and thieves.
Quirk:Personality Traits. Many half orc are aggressive creatures.
Last edited by JoshuaDunlow on Tue May 28, 2013 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JoshuaDunlow
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Hobgoblins

Postby JoshuaDunlow » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:09 pm

The Hobgoblin (6pp)
The Hobgoblin has always been a favorite race of mine, not sure why. But they are the most powerful of the goblin species (being goblin, orc, and hobgoblin), and those most warlike and cunning.

Ability Modifiers (0pp): +1 Fighting, -1 Presence
Skill Selection (2pp): Intimidation 2, Athletics 2, Expertise: Survival 2
Starting Advantages (1pp): Languages 2 (Common, Orc, Goblin)
Powers (3pp):
Hobgoblin Physiology (Multiple Powers as one)
• Senses 3: Senses (Extended Smell , Extended Hearing, Low Light vision)

Complications:
Prejudice: Hobgoblin. Many Hobgoblins, like half-orcs are not accepted in normal human society.
Quirk:Personality Traits. Many hobgoblins are aggressive creatures. And do not get along well with Elves. But have a keen tactical mind, and make terrifying warriors and enemies. They can be cruel, and very cunning.
Last edited by JoshuaDunlow on Tue May 28, 2013 2:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.
JoshuaDunlow
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

FANTASY DOCUMENT: Basic Armor & Shields

Postby JoshuaDunlow » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:15 am

ARMOR & SHIELDS
This chart pretty much speaks for itself, the shields however I added several options too. One, I included whether or not a shield could be used as a weapon (with my optional advantage, which is pretty much like an alternate effect), and whether it provides any form of Concealment. I included the substance toughness for the difference between wood and iron; though wooden shields are reinforced so their toughness is greater than the usual rank 3 toughness.

The Shield Bash Advantage
Treat small shields as a strength based damage 1 bludgeon effect; and treat medium shields as a strength based damage 2 bludgeon effect. Though metal shields , at the GM's discretion, could increase the damage output by 1.

HELMETS
Even in a basic system, I like to Incorporate Helmets into the system, specially for called Shots. Which is a -2 to your attack roll, to hit the head. It provides limited protection, and may impair your vision and/or make you vulnerable.
Last edited by JoshuaDunlow on Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
JoshuaDunlow
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

PreviousNext

Return to Roll Call