Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

JD's 3E Thread: More fantasy NPCS ?

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.

Re: JD's 3E: Maestro, Device Toughness, Wizards Familiar

Postby dwellerofthedeep » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:58 pm

I'm in favor of keeping threads together, especially with those bots causing forum drift all over the place.
Character Carnival!
My Blog
"If I have to give up a kidney I'll be okay because I'll still have Mutants and Masterminds."
dwellerofthedeep
Zealot
Zealot

Re: JD's 3E Goodness

Postby JoshuaDunlow » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:32 pm

Okay then I am moving this thread here.. so I can create a INdex.

JoshuaDunlow wrote:Skill Ranks in 3E.
The skill system in 3E is slightly different from the 2E rules. Where before the highest skill rank possible was the Power Level +5. In 3e the maximum skill ranks for characters is the Power Level of the Campaign +10, but this includes the characters ability rank as well. I wanted to create this system to show the skill ranks for Normal Individuals. But once we get above Power level 8, and super powers are introduced. The range ends up changing, because of the capabilities of the super powered individual.

So lets try and break it down, an average person can range anywhere from -1 to 2 in their ability ranks. And in the most optimum conditions the average person has a +5 circumstance bonus when performing their jobs, because they can take their time. But this isn’t always the case, some jobs you will need the right tools in the right place in the right time. So the average person will have a +2 circumstance bonus instead with his Expertise.

So if we continue on this thinking, we can now look at some of the NPC’s created in the Core DCA Book. The Bystander, which has a +0 in every category, and an expertise of 4 for what ever job that they possess. So when we put this all together, the citizen has a total bonus of +6 to +9 when it comes to performing his job!. Which means a normal person can succeed at any routine check (DC 15), without having to Roll. The citizen is PL 0, so his limit is a total of 10. So we can safely learn our skill rank range for most normal people. Which we will keep to 1-10 for simplicity sake, the reason why I wanted to do this was to show what the raw skill ranks mean to the Normal person.

1-2 ranks shows a basic level of profession, ranging from a hobbyist to someone who knows that they are doing. They just haven’t had the opportunity to turn it into job experience.
3-4 ranks shows a professional level of skill, showing that the player has turned his knowledge to his benefit and can make a living at it.
5-6 ranks shows a Expert level in your chosen profession. These people are good enough at their job, that they can be known for it. They have spent several years in their profession.
7-8 ranks shows that the player is an Artisan in his profession, these folks are truly skilled individuals. And have spent ten years or longer, in their profession. Of course time isn’t always a factor, the person still has to improve himself. Two NPC’s can be entirely different, one has spent 10 years on his job and only has Rank 5 in his skill. But the other one who has applied himself, has 8 Ranks in his skill.
9-10 ranks shows that the player is one of the best at what he does, a Master at what he does. And has been doing it for a very long time. Anything above this shows that the players skill is truly legendary.

Combat Skills?
Now naturally this cannot relate very well, Think of it like this. Fighting is your old Base Attack Bonus in 2E, the advantages stay the same as they do with their related feats. Close Combat and Ranged Combat. But when you get to skills, most players will be scratching your head. Don't make the same mistake i have made, and tons of others. And start using skills to simulate all your other combat, before you get to feats. Because think of your combat skills in 3E, like the attack specialization feat from 2E. It works great when you want to show your better at a sword, or casting your spells etc.. But if you rely too heavily on the skills aspect, you greatly loose out over all in anything else. So remember that Dexterity is your application for ranged attacks, while Fighting is for melee combat. Once you have the right frame work, i think people people can ball park their own estimations. But the chart up above can still apply well enough, if you add your base Fighting or Dexterity score , plus any advantages, and any combat skills.

Super Hero Settings and Skill rank Limits
But what happens when you introduce the higher Power Levels, anything above Power level 8? For this I took the Batman as a perfect example. His Power Level is 12, setting the new Skill Rank limit which in this case is 22. Remember this includes the ability modifiers of any character, we subtract five from this total to represent the highest level of a Normal Human Range (though they can according to the system can go up to 7). This leaves the limit of 17, if we subtract the highest level of circumstantial modifiers, which is 5. This leaves us with a range of 12 to 14. The range of the raw skill ranks changes ever so slightly, and which I have for simplicity sake have broken into increments of 3, instead of the normal 2.

1-3 ranks shows a basic level of profession, ranging from a hobbyist to someone who knows that they are doing. They just haven’t had the opportunity to turn it into job experience.
4-6 ranks shows a professional level of skill, showing that the player has turned his knowledge to his benefit and can make a living at it.
7-9 ranks shows a Expert level in your chosen profession. These people are good enough at their job, that they can be known for it. They have spent several years in their profession.
10-12 ranks shows that the player is an Artisan in his profession, these folks are truly skilled individuals. And have spent ten years or longer, in their profession. Of course time isn’t always a factor, the person still has to improve himself. Two NPC’s can be entirely different, one has spent 10 years on his job and only has Rank 5 in his skill. But the other one who has applied himself, has 8 Ranks in his skill.
13+ ranks shows that the player is one of the best at what he does, a Master at what he does. And has been doing it for a very long time. Anything above this shows that the players skill is truly legendary.

Well I hope this helps you folks as much as it helped me, breaking all of this stuff down.
JoshuaDunlow
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: JD's 3E: The 3E Fantasy Project

Postby Woodclaw » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:37 pm

Nice work JD, I might not dig the 3E, but I think that these notes are very useful.
"Yes, it's a bloody flying alligator setting fire to my city!"

Sam Vimes (Guards! Guards!)

From a dark corner of my mind (my build's thread)
From another dark corner of my mind (my Deviantart page)
Woodclaw
Luminary
Luminary

Campaign Tone & Power Level

Postby JoshuaDunlow » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:28 pm

Here is the first installment of the Fantasy Documents, talking about setting Tone and PL for your campaigns.

Setting the Tone
The tone of a fantasy/medieval setting in mutants and masterminds, can come in four different tones. Low Fantasy, Moderate Fantasy, and High Fantasy. Low fantasy settings have less to do about magic and non-human races, and more about the setting and the story itself. Magic can be made prominent in such a setting, such things will be rare. Moderate fantasy settings, will have an equal amount of magic and practicality. This is usually the standard of such games as Dungeons & Dragons at a default level. Where magic is more prevalent, but still rare and special enough that it should not over power your game. Its common to see a small selection of various races in such a setting. High Fantasy settings are just that, high magical worlds were magic, and magical items are much more common. As are fantasy races, which will start to dwarf the human races prevalence in the setting. The tone will set the amount of Power Points given out to characters to build their characters.

Tone of the Campaign:
Low (10-12 pp/PL )
Moderate (13-15 pp/PL )
High Fantasy (16-18 pp/PL )

Power Level
Assigning a proper Power Level for your characters is the next step. And sets how dangerous the world will be around them. So its very important to figure out what level of play the campaign will be set at.

1 to 2 = Mundane Individuals, The common simple folk.
3 to 4 = Semi Skilled/Adventurous Folk. This is probably where I might start things, and makes a nice place for people beginning their careers.
5 to 6 = Skilled Adventurers. This is the default for many starting campaigns, specially those who like to have characters with background and history.
7 to 8 = Superior Adventurers. These are the cream of the crop, and is the place for many legendary figures. This could be considered Low super human.
9 to 12 = Demi God Status, or other super human beings.
13 to 14 = Minor Gods or Powers
15 to 16 = Moderate Gods or Powers
17 to 18 = Major Gods or Powers
JoshuaDunlow
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Ability Scores in Fantasy

Postby JoshuaDunlow » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:01 pm

Ability Scores
IN a fantasy campaign, the scores and rating system remains very much the same. But I would like to open up this optional ruling for strength, that makes it work on a 1-7 scale, Instead of the typical 1-3 scale. So this revised Mass chart was introduced, to help even out the system for something more realistic.

Mass: As you can see the progression for mass stays the same after a certain point. Creating the following: x2 , x4, x8, x15, x30, x60, x100, then starts over. This scale works better for more realistic settings, like my Millennium Universe. So every 7 ranks increases the first number by 100.

The size modifications can be dropped; since my major beef for something more realistic meant simply staggering the mass chart appropriately.
JoshuaDunlow
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Social Class (Advanced)

Postby JoshuaDunlow » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:30 pm

Social Class System
The social class of the character, determines their place in society. And in general how they grew up, and what skills they might possess because of it. Social Status, becomes a score in the game. That can affect social situations at the GM's leisure. Social Class grants a base form of status, which works differently in a fantasy setting. While the lower forms of Status, are nothing more than a complication (but have game mechanics none-the-less).

Step 1. Determine Social Status
Each Rank in Social Status costs 1 pp, and is considered an Advantage. And determines your place in society.

Servant (Base Status of -2; Complication, no cost)
Servants are a very common under-class in society. They provide services, and have very little of their own. Usually working for someone, unless than can buy their own freedom. The servant class also includes entertainers, who have no home and wander the lands offering entertainment for return of services.

Peasant (Base Status of -1; Complication , no cost)
The peasant class makes up the majority of the physical labor force, such as farmers. They provide goods and services, in return for a place to live from the local lord.

Tradesman (No Status; no cost)
Are one step better to peasants, they are still the same. They just don’t owe their livelihood to a lord or some nobility. They own their own home, and have a small amount of wealth. Though it’s enough to get by. The burghers are probably the highest free-class of the commoner, they make things and form guilds. These are merchants, business owners, and craftsman. Without them commerce could not survive.

Militant/Academic Class (Base Status of 1; 1pp)
The militia are the backbone of the soldiering force, they make up the soldiers, the watch, and low ranking mercenaries such as Sergeants. Without them we would not have the protection we need against our enemies. The academic class are composed of the learned individuals, they also make up the political forces of city like the mayor. This also includes the cleric and wizard classes, and those that can use magic.

Merchant/Land Owning Class (Bast Status of 2; 2pp)
The land owning class makes up high ranking military, academic, burghers, and political officials, such as captains. And minor lord, ladies, sirs, and dames. Those that own large portions of land own small estates, servants, and houses.

Nobility Class (Base Status of 3; 3 pp)
The noble class makes up minor princes, barons, counts, and earls in medieval society. They usually own a large estate, a castle, or several manors, and have servants.

Royalty Class (Base Status of 4; 4 pp)
The royal class makes up the marquis, the dukes, royal prince & princess, and kings and queens of a medieval society. They own several estates, a castle or many homes, with tons of servants.

Step 2. Determine Social Standing
Social Standing is the next step, in some ways this takes the place of using the benefits of status or even recognition. Your standing will determine how popular, influential and notable you are in medieval/fantasy society. Social Standing thus becomes the a new Advantage. Some game masters might want to limit the social standing, based on the players Expertise skill rank.

Insignificant (No Change to Status)
You are no one in particular, you are like all the others of your social class.

Notable (Status of +1; 1pp)
You are a noted figure in your social class, either because of skill or personal influence. Some GM's might want to require a skill rank 4 or greater in your Expertise skill.

Prominent (+2 Status; 2pp)
You are a prominent figure in society, because of not only your skill but because of personal influence. Some GM's might want require a skill rank 6 or greater in your Expertise skill.

Influential (+3 Status; 3pp)
You are successful and prominent figure in society, noted for your skill, and influence in several areas of society. Some GM's might want to require a skill rank of 8 or greater in your Expertise skill.

Very Influential (+4 Status; 4pp)
You are extremely successful, and a very prominent figure in society. Noted for skill, and influence. Some Gm's might want to require a skill rank of 10 or greater in your Expertise skill.

Step 3. Wealth Benefit Modifier
Wealth Bonus: If the player has any ranks of Wealth, this will modify your total Status score. By 1 for every rank. A player can take POOR as a complication, which would reduce your status by -2.

The Final Score is your total SOCIAL CLASS.
Every two points difference between people , is a +/- modifier to social interactions.

You can determine your special titles or ranks based off the Status and Standing factors of your Social Class.

Landowner Social Class
Lord/Lady: 0 - 1
Sir/Dame: 2 - 3
Knight/Baronet: 4

Nobility Social Class
Sir/Dame, Knight/Baronet: 0
Baron/Baroness: 1
Viscount/Viscountess: 2
Count/Countess: 3
Marques/Marchioness: 4

Royalty Social Class
Marques/Marchioness: 0
Duke/Duchess: 1
Grand Duke/Duchess: 2
Prince/Princess: 3
King/Queen: 4

Definitions:
Lord: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord
Dame: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dame
Baronet: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baronet
Baron: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baron
Viscount: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viscount
Count: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Count
Marques: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marquess
Duke: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke
Grand Duke: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Duke
Prince: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince
King: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King

Below is a simplified Social Class system which works very much like status.
Benefits (Social Class)
The social class of the character, determines their place in society. And in general how they grew up, and what skills they might possess because of it. In most games, social class may be nothing more than a background element. This system doesn’t use money, instead it provides a bonus to Equipment Points while still using the Equipment Advantage in the game.
Poor (complication) This class represents Indentured Servants, Slaves, Criminals, and Un-free Peasants.
Rank 0 = Commoners. This Class represents well off peasants, trades men, craftsmen, and the like. This is the bulk of Medieval Society. They own very little, and have to work hard to get by.
Rank 1 = Well to Do. This class represents skilled Craftsman, and tradesmen. Merchants, military, and those of the Academic Class. Those of this rank can start to own land. The character gains +5 EPs to spend.
Rank 2 = Upper Class. This includes well off, Merchants, Military, and Academics. And high ranking individuals that run the politics or law for a city. Titles and Ranks include; And minor lord, ladies, sirs, and dames. They own moderately sized land, and usually have a small estate. Maybe a few servants, and a horse. The character gains +10 EP's to Spend
Rank 3 = Nobility. The noble class makes up minor princes, barons, counts, and earls in medieval society. They usually own a large estate, a castle, or several manors, and have servants. The character gains +15 EPs to Spend, or +12 EP's and 2 ranks in the Minion Advantage.
Rank 4 = Royalty. The royal class makes up the marquis, the dukes, royal prince & princess, and kings and queens of a medieval society. They own several estates, a castle or many homes, with tons of servants. The character gains +20 EP's, or +15 EP's and a 4 ranks in the minion Advantage.
Last edited by JoshuaDunlow on Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
JoshuaDunlow
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Woodclaw » Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:03 pm

This status system is pretty involved and detailed, but I like it a lot. Do you mind if I borrow it for my 2E games.
"Yes, it's a bloody flying alligator setting fire to my city!"

Sam Vimes (Guards! Guards!)

From a dark corner of my mind (my build's thread)
From another dark corner of my mind (my Deviantart page)
Woodclaw
Luminary
Luminary

Postby JoshuaDunlow » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:20 pm

Woodclaw wrote:This status system is pretty involved and detailed, but I like it a lot. Do you mind if I borrow it for my 2E games.

It's an adaption of what I used to use in D&D. And be my guest. Here is a link to the original Document, for 2E. And I simplified it for 3E, till I have updated a generic system for economy.
JoshuaDunlow
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Thorpacolypse » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:24 am

Very nice, JD. I have been itching to do some fantasy in MnM, I just haven't gotten around to it and these will be helpful.

I like that Device Toughness house rule as well. I've always thought that lower level devices are too easy to break. This gives more options.
Shop J-Mart!

Service with a smilie! :)
Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Location: Bloomington, IL (Summer home in the dark recesses of the human psyche...)

Postby JoshuaDunlow » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:51 am

Thorpacolypse wrote:Very nice, JD. I have been itching to do some fantasy in MnM, I just haven't gotten around to it and these will be helpful.

I like that Device Toughness house rule as well. I've always thought that lower level devices are too easy to break. This gives more options.

Well more to come as I can convert them. And thank you :) ; its a good house-rule , that mixes some common-sense into them , instead of letting the numbers dictate too much. .
JoshuaDunlow
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

New Advantages

Postby JoshuaDunlow » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:27 am

Original Advantages
Here are a few Advantages I created for use within a Fantasy Setting. I do want to convert some of the Warriors & Warlocks material here as well, given time.

Armor Finesse (Ranked)
When using this Advantage, a player can remove the optional penalty for wearing heavy armor. The normal penalty is -1 for every rank of protection that armor provides , minus 1. The use of this feat reduces that penalty further by 1 for each rank in armor Finesse. The penalty applies mostly to athletics and acrobatic checks, and to anything else the GM decides.

Athletic Feint
This advantage works just like the Acrobatic Feint, instead of relying on your skill to move and roll away from an attack. The Athletic Feint, allows you to push and shove your opponents, in an effort to keep from getting hit.

Heroic Valour
Sometimes courage is your best defense, a hero can spend extra effort to bolster his defense. Gaining a +2 bonus to his toughness, should he be left without any other form of armor for protection. This advantage will not work if the hero is wearing armor, and is considered concentration in duration. The hero cannot use extra effort with this.

Horse Master
This is something I encorporated into my LOTR builds. The house rule for this is that a person suffers a -2 penalty to melee attacks. while on horseback, and a -5 penalty to use ranged attacks on horseback. Taking this advantage, reduces the penalty , to 0/-2 (ranged).

Mind over Body
This advantage allows the player to use his Willpower defense for certain fortitude effects, such as diseases or poisons. Being able to control certain aspects of your metabolism through sheer will. The GM can let this cover other things at his discretion, such as holding a persons breath, etc..

Shield Bash
This allows a hero to use his shield as a bludgeon weapon. Treat this like a Alternate effect. It turns a small shield into a +1 strength based damage effect. While a Medium shield is treated as a +2 strength based damage effect. A large shield is just too bulky to be used as a weapon.

Sneak Attack (ranked)
This advantage allows a hero to use his stealth to his advantage in combat. Though there are several requirements for one to be able to Sneak Attack. First and foremost, the Attacker must have a higher initiative then the one he is attacking. Second, he must make a successful stealth check against the targets perception. One 1 degree of success, the target is defense impaired, and gains the benefit of an Improved Critical equal to the ranks in his sneak attack. On 2 degree's of success, the target is vulnerable and the attack and gains the Improved Critical benefits. On 3 degree's of success the target is considered Defenseless, and gains the benefits of the Improved Critical. Without this advantage, an attacker can only hope for treating his target defense impaired or vulnerable.

Split Attack (Specific Attack)
The hero can split his attack just like the power modifier, and works the exact same way. You must however specify a specific attack for this to work when taking the Advantage.
Last edited by JoshuaDunlow on Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:11 am, edited 6 times in total.
JoshuaDunlow
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Equipment Features

Postby JoshuaDunlow » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:46 am

Master Work (for armor).
Master work armor is well formed and fitted to the user's body. And is limited to the person it has been fitted for, so only the intended wearer gains the benefit. Which is reducing the Armor penalty by 1.

Master Work (for Weapons).
A master work armor is finely crafted for balance and effect, it adds the Improved Critical power modifier (with melee weapons), or a +1 bonus to your ranged attack skill (with ranged weapons).

Enchanted.
This modifier makes the item in question "magical" in nature. This feature adds the descriptor, which may be necessary for monsters immune to non-magical weapons. And bumps up the items material toughness up by 3 points.
JoshuaDunlow
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Unique Materials & Properties

Postby JoshuaDunlow » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:20 am

Unique Materials & Qualities
Fantasy campaigns are often abound with strange items made of unique materials. These might not be appropriate for low fantasy toned campaigns. Making their appearances truly special. I have included special materials I have used only in my campaigns.

Adamantium: Adamant which is mined by dwarves, is a very dense and heavy material. Any armor or weapon fashioned by this metal is twice as heavy. Its substance toughness is 15 .
- Weapons made of: Adamant is generally Penetrating, and most weapons do 2 extra points of damage.
- Armor made of: Adamant Armor is Impervious, and provides 2 extra ranks of armor.

Bane: Those items which are enchanted to be bane, are meant to be used to protect or destroy against a specific creature.
- Weapons made of: A Bane weapons made effect , is Improved Critical Advantage and a Secondary Effect , limited to a specific creature. More powerful versions, also weaken toughness upon a successful attack roll and are Penetrating in some cases.
- Armor made of : Bane Armor is meant to protect against specific monsters, providing Impervious up to double the armors toughness rating, against a specific creature.

Dark Wood: Dark wood is a specially treated wood made by the elves, which turns this once supple wood into a very strong material. Making it as strong as steel. Dark wood has a substance bonus of 8 .
- Weapons made of: Generally Dark wood is fashioned into Clubs, Bows and Staves. Such weapons do 1 extra point of damage then normal.
- Armor made of: Armor made of Dark Wood, works almost as good as banded mail, though is limited to torso protection, unless crafted into articulated pieces. Dark Wood is light, so a hauberk of Dark wood provides 2 points of protection. While an Articulated set provides 4 points of protection.

Holy/Unholy. Holy items have been blessed by divine powers, to be used against Infernal or Foul beings . The reverse can be said for Unholy Items.
- Weapons Made of: Often a bane weapon against Infernal or Foul beings, granting the secondary effect power modifier. More powerful ones, weaken the targets toughness as well.
- Armor made of: Holy Armor is Impervious usually against attacks of a Infernal or Foul nature.

Mithril: Mithril steel which is fashioned by the elves, is an extremely light and durable silver like material. It has a substance toughness of 13.
- Weapons made of: Mithril Weapons are generally Penetrating, and its damage is increased by 1.
- Armor made of: Mithril Armor is generally Impervious, and its armor is increased by 1.

Nuru: Nuru is the strongest substance known to exist, it is relatively light (but not as light as mithril can be) and incredibly durable (stronger than adamant). Giving it a substance toughness of 20.
- Weapons made of: Nuru is generally Penetrating, and does 3 extra points of damage.
- Armor made of: Nuru armor is Impervious, and provides 3 extra ranks of armor.

Silyrii: Silyrii a strange gold colored metal, is often mixed with Mithril to make a very strong and durable material that holds enchantments rather easily. Silyrii has a toughness substance of 11.
- Weapons made of: Weapons made of Silyrri usually do 1 more point of damage.
- Armor made of: Armor made of Silyrii usually provides 1 more rank of armor.

Soul Forged: Soul forged steel, has been treated by the essence of tormented souls. They are known as Infernal or Foul Devices as far as descriptors go.
- Weapons made of: Often a Inimical against Good or Divine supernatural beings, granting the secondary effect power modifier. More powerful weapons, can inflict a Incurable Affliction that mimics Fatigue, due to the torment that instills its essence.
- Armor made of: Soul Forged armor, imbues the wearer with a fearsome Aura. That may inspire foes in those he battles.

Vorpal weapons: Vorpal Weapons usually have the Improved Critical Advantage, and Incurable power modifier applied to them.
JoshuaDunlow
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Additional Powers

Postby JoshuaDunlow » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:57 am

Unlock Power
Action: Move • Range: Close • Duration: Instant • Cost: 2 pp per rank

The hero has the ability to unlock any door he comes across; without having to unlock it with a skill check. The Rank in this power determines just how effective it is, The player can lock or unlock any lock with specific DC, based on the Rank in this power.
1 Ranks: Can unlock a DC 15 at will
2 Ranks: Can unlock a DC 20 lock at will
3 Ranks: Can unlock a DC 25 lock at will
4 Ranks: Can unlock a DC 30 lock at will
5 Ranks: Can unlock a DC 35 Lock at will.
6 Ranks: Can unlock a DC 40 Lock at will.

Reinforce Door
Action: Move • Range: Close • Duration: Concentration • Cost: 2 pp per rank

This power allows the target to improved the DC of a door or other portal that has a lock upon it, as well as improve the objects toughness Rating. Each Rank does the following: Increase the DC to pick the lock by +5, and improves the toughness by 2.

Senses (Psychometry-4 ranks)
You can sense and read the psychic “fingerprints” left on objects by the emotions of those who owned, held, or were around them. The stronger the emotions of the person or events, the easier it is to read what has been imprinted. The time since the event occurred will also be a factor, being easier the more recent the occurrence. To understand what the imprint is telling you, make an Investigate or Wisdom check (whichever you prefer or if the Game Master restricts you to one or the other, depending on the circumstances.) The base DC for this check is 15, as modified by the following conditions. (The DC cannot be reduced below 5.)

Condition:
Time since event being read (special*)
Emotional Strength of Event
- Insignificant (typical everyday happening) +10 DC
- Noteworthy (devoted effort, but very little)+5 DC
- Minor (ordinary emotional release) +0 DC
- Moderate (definite emotional investment) -5 DC
- Major (something of great emotional significance)-10 DC
- Extreme (something incredibly emotionally turbulent)-15 DC

* There is no time modifier if the event being read occurred within a time value on the Time and Value Progression Table equal to or less than your Wisdom bonus, with a minimum value of 1 (1 action.) For each step down on the Time and Progression Table beyond your Wisdom bonus since the event occurred, the DC is increased by a +1 modifier. For example, if your Wisdom is 18 you have a +4 bonus. This means you suffer no DC modifier for reading events that occurred within 5 minutes. If the event you’re trying to read happened a year ago, that would be 8 steps down the table, increasing the DC by +8. Game Masters are encouraged to add their own modifiers if they feel the circumstances warrant it.

What is Learned?
How much is learned of what happened is determined on the following random table (hey, reading emotions isn’t exactly a science, no matter how powerful one’s will to do so is!) Roll twice, once to indicate the subject of what has been read and again to indicate the degree of information. Two columns are presented for the subject: one is used if you are purposely seeking specific information (e.g., “who killed the woman who owned this comb?”) and another for probing the object blind in the search for any information at all without specifics in mind (e.g., “who has owned this comb I just found on the ground?”) Add the amount your Investigate or Wisdom check to use this power defeated the DC by to both rolls as a modifier. So, if your Investigate check to use Psychometry was against a DC of 20 and you rolled a 23 you gain a +3 bonus on these two rolls.

Subject (Purposeful)
01-10 Learned something entirely unrelated to subject
11-18 Learn something peripherally related to subject
19+ Learn of intended subject

Subject (random)
01-10 Learn about event in most distant Past
11-14 Learn about event in recent past
15-18 Learn about event in immediate past
19+ Learn of most recent, most powerful possible subject

Information (learned)
01-05 Brief, unclear flash of insight
06-10 Brief moment in caught in time (minor clue)
11-14 Small clip of scene of an emotional movie (helpful clue)
15-18 Entire scene plays out in jumpy, choppy flashes that may leave out important details (incredibly helpful clue)
19+ Entire scene plays out clearly, emotions and all (good as being there)
Last edited by JoshuaDunlow on Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JoshuaDunlow
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby dwellerofthedeep » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:56 pm

Keep it up , JD! I'm loving the fantasy materials especially.
Character Carnival!
My Blog
"If I have to give up a kidney I'll be okay because I'll still have Mutants and Masterminds."
dwellerofthedeep
Zealot
Zealot

PreviousNext

Return to Roll Call