Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

Jab's Builds: Fear Lords, Dark Man, DC's Thriller, The S-Men

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.

Re: Jab's Builds: The Seekers, Mister X, Marvel Cards, Dracula

Postby Arthur Eld » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:19 am

Dracula probably deserves some Expertise in Tactics, or Military, something like that. He was a warlord in life before becoming a vampire, and I think he's regarded as a great general when he returned in Captain Britain and M:13.
Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Gazman » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:13 pm

I'm really looking forward to seeing some of the characters on that list. It's great to see a suitably hardcore Dracula already up.

If anybody is more interested in those Marvel cards, a friend of mine did an in depth review of the entire X-men series. Includes a report discussing the project with Jim Lee. Starts here.
Gazman
Hero
Hero

Postby Jabroniville » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:38 pm

Oh snap, a review of EVERY CARD? I'm in nerd heaven again.

And I added some stuff about tactical skill for Drac. He spends so much time as a solo guy or Small Cell leader that I wasn't sure if he deserved a Skill for it.
Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Jab's Builds: The Seekers, Mister X, Marvel Cards, Dracu

Postby Jabroniville » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:08 pm

THE DARKHOLD REDEEMERS:
-These guys were created as part of the "Midnight Sons" offshoot of the main Ghost Rider book, back when Danny Ketch was one of the hottest characters in the entire Marvel line, which sounds insane saying it now. But yes, Ghost Rider in the '90s was so huge that he soon added the original Ghost Rider (Johnny Blaze), Morbius (a Spidey villain turned heroic), The Nightstalkers (three older Vampire characters), Doctor Strange (getting a line-shift over to something trendy, as he hadn't been big in a while) and these guys to his own line. The Midnight Sons fought Lilith and her band of demons, Dracula and others, while the "Redeemers" (never actually named that on their comics- one character basically tagged the group this as a joke) sought to destroy all of the pages of The Darkhold, the magic book of spells forged by Chthon centuries ago. Vicky Montesi was their leader (and had the magic powers to detect the sinful pages), and they had a big of a "ragtag group" going.

-Unfortunately, the Midnight Sons line hit both the Comic Bust and Ghost Rider's fall as a big-name character (which hit him HARD- he went from a jewel in a dynastic crown and one of the top guys in the entire industry to basically a nobody), and every book was soon cancelled save the main one (which didn't last long either). And so this almost Vertigo-seeming book (a bunch of trenchcoat-wearing, non-tights-having normal humans having obscure adventures with vile magic?) was gone and forgotten, to be a mere eyeblink in the history of comics. I've never read an issue (or even seen an appearance by the characters- I dismissed them right away thanks to the lame Marvel Cards they got, along with the stupid name), but the thing I find most interesting is that it's very X-Files... but X-Files made it's debut a FULL YEAR after this book came out. Go fig.

VICTORIA "VICKI" MONTESI
Created By:
Christopher Cooper & Richard Case
First Appearance: The Darkhold #1 (Oct. 1992)
Role: The Leader
Group Affiliations: The Darkhold Redeemers
PL 4 (71)
STRENGTH
0 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Athletics 3 (+3)
Deception 2 (+5)
Expertise (Magic) 2 (+6)
Insight 3 (+6)
Investigation 2 (+5)
Perception 2 (+5)
Treatment 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Equipment 2 (Pistol +4), Ranged Attack 2

Powers:
"Darkhold Detector"
Features 1: Knows When The Darkhold is Accessed [1]
Senses 4 (Precognition) (Flaws: Uncontrolled, Limited to Darkhold-Related Events) [1]
Senses 3 (Detect Darkhold Pages- Ranged 2) [3]
Concealment 5 (All Senses) (Flaws: Limited to N'Garai Demons) [5]

Offense:
Unarmed +5 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
Pistol +4 (+4 Ranged Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +2, Fortitude +3, Will +6

Complications:
Motivation (Destroying the Darkhold)- Victoria is the latest in a long line of Montesis, devoted to destroying Chthon's vile book.
Prejudice (Lesbian)- Victoria's revelation of being in love with another woman led her father to disown her.
Responsibility (Born of Chthon)- Vittorio Montesi was sterile, and utilized the worst possible means to carry on his legacy- he created a daughter using the pages of the Darkhold. This leaves Vicki permanently linked to the Elder God Chthon.

Total: Abilities: 44 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 10 / Defenses: 6 (71)

-Vicki was a Darkhold-detecting Doctor with little combat training at first, and had way fewer uses than most of her teammates except for the ability to sense when a Page of the Darkhold had been used. She was interesting in that she was an out-of-the-closet lesbian in a comic from *1992*, and that she went from a "normally-dressed woman" to a leather-clad sexpot at some point, judging by the Marvel Cards. Vicki had a lot of rough luck thanks to her douchebag of a father, who both created her from the Book of Sin itself, but disowned her when she revealed her sexual orientation. Once her book was cancelled, she got immaculately-pregnant thanks to Chthon, and nearly gave birth to him in the Earthly Plane until Doctor Strange and her innate goodness combined to threaten his life if he did so. Vicki survived, but was never seen again. Fifteen years later, who knows where she ended up?

-Vicki was a borderline non-combatant who sorta learned how to fight to defend herself from demons, though nobody would mistake her for a powerhouse- she's basically a really smart, Doctorly HYDRA Goon at this point.

---

SAM BUCHANAN
Created By:
Role: The Scully/Non-Believer
Group Affiliations: The Darkhold Redeemers, Interpol
PL 5 (63)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 3 (+4)
Deception 2 (+4)
Expertise (Interpol Agent) 3 (+6)
Insight 2 (+5)
Investigation 4 (+7)
Perception 2 (+5)

Advantages:
Benefit (Interpol Agent), Equipment 2 (Pistol +4), Ranged Attack

Offense:
Unarmed +5 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Pistol +6 (+4 Ranged Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +2, Fortitude +3, Will +3

Complications:
Responsibility (Interpol)- Buchanan has been charged by Interpol to protect Vicki Montesi.
Relationship (Victoria Montesi)- Sam developed a crush on his partner, but it was not to be.

Total: Abilities: 48 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 3 (63)

-Sam Buchanan looked like Fox Mulder (minus the sleepy, bored David Duchovny eyes) but acted more like Dana Scully, disbelieving in the supernatural (though seeing as how they're in the mainstream Marvel Universe, I'd question how). Sam packs a bit more muscle than Vicki overall, but is still way below the kind of Demons that the Darkhold can unleash.

---

PROFESSOR LOUISE HASTINGS
Created By:
Role: The Professor
PL 2 (55)
STRENGTH
-1 STAMINA 1 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 2 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 5 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Deception 2 (+5)
Expertise (Archaeology) 5 (+10)
Expertise (Magic) 5 (+10)
Insight 5 (+7)
Investigation 3 (+7)
Perception 2 (+6)
Persuasion 2 (+5)

Advantages:
Beginner's Luck, Benefit (Wealth), Ritualist, Well-Informed

Offense:
Unarmed +2 (-1 Damage, DC 14)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +2 (DC 12), Parry +2 (DC 12), Toughness +1, Fortitude +1, Will +5

Complications:
Responsibility (Occult Investigator)

Total: Abilities: 36 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 3 (55)

-Louise was the "Smart Guy" of the group, having the most knowledge about various subjects. She wasn't much of a fighter (but was a surprisingly-good shot with a gun, the Appendix to the Marvel U states), but her mind was her best tool.

---

JINX (William Hastings)
Created By:
Christopher Cooper & Rurik Tyler
First Appearance: The Darkhold #9 (June 1993)
Role: The Muscle
PL 7 (80)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Deception 1 (+4)
Expertise (Magic) 6 (+6)
Investigation 3 (+3)
Perception 3 (+3)
Persuasion 1 (+4)

Advantages:
Power Attack, Ranged Attack, Ritualist

Powers:
"Magic Trainee"
Illusion 4 (All Senses) (20) -- [22]
    AE: "Right-Eye Beam" Blast 8 (Diminished Range -1) (15)
    AE: "Conjurer" Create 4 (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Continuous) (13)
Immunity 1 (May Tap Into Darkhold Magic Without Losing Soul) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +5 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Blast +5 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +3, Fortitude +4, Will +4

Complications:
Responsibility (Innate Power)- Jinx's power is untested and dangerous.

Total: Abilities: 40 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 23 / Defenses: 7 (80)

-Jinx, the grandson of Louise Hastings, was introduced later on to shore up the roster, and he seems a lot more "Super-Hero-y" than his partners. He has an innate mystical potential that was getting realized under Modred's teachings, and joined the Darkhold team to save them from Sam Buchanan's boss in Interpol, who was secretly a Darkholder follower of Chthon. He ended up going to the Vatican to be trained by Victoria's dad, and then disappeared along with the rest of the cast of this series. Jinx has some minor abilities, and a unique Immunity/Feature to Darkhold Soul-Stealing, and is a bit more in-shape than his partners judging from some pictures, but is ultimately minor-league as far as mystics go, being PL 6.5 on offense.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Ares » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:10 pm

Man, like a trip down memory lane. It's almost sad how much money I spent on all of those cards, both DC and Marvel, and they happily came out with a new set every year or two to keep us all thoroughly addicted. I remember I wound up using those cards to make my own home brewed superhero team rosters as a kid. I mean, they had practically every hero on a card at one point or another.
Ares
Hero
Hero

Re: Jab's Builds: The Seekers, Mister X, Marvel Cards, Dracu

Postby Jabroniville » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:30 pm

MODRED THE MYSTIC
Created By:
Bill Mantlo, Marv Wolfman & Yong Montaro
First Appearance: Marvel Chillers #1 (Oct. 1975)
Role: Magic Villain
PL 11 (177)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Deception 5 (+8)
Expertise (Magic) 10 (+14)
Expertise (History) 8 (+12)
Insight 4 (+8)
Intimidation 4 (+7)
Perception 4 (+8)
Persuasion 2 (+5)
Ranged Combat (Magic) 2 (+10)

Advantages:
Diehard, Beginner's Luck, Improved Critical (Magic), Languages 2 (a few), Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4, Ritualist

Powers:
"Master of Magic- Gifted by Chthon"
Flight 6 (120 mph) [12]
"Magical Wall" Force Field 4 [4]
Immunity 1 (Aging) [1]
Senses 3 (Detect Magic- Ranged, Acute) [3]

Illusion (All Senses) 10 (40) -- [47]
    AE: Move Object 10 (Extras: Perception Range) (30)
    AE: "Telepathy" Mind-Reading 8 & Communication (Mental) 2 (24)
    AE: Mind Control 10 (40)
    AE: "Create Fire" Blast 12 (Feats: Variable 2- Any Energy, Split) (27)
    AE: "Control Earth" Affliction 11 (Dodge; Hindered/Prone) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Limited Degree, Instant Recovery, Limited to Grounded Targets) Linked to Damage 11 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Limited to Objects) (14)
    AE: "Shockwave" Damage 11 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Both He & Target Must Be Touching Ground) (11)
    AE: Teleport 8 (Extras: Accurate, Extended) (32)
    AE: "Full Field" Force Field +2 (Extras: Impervious 9) (11)
Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Magic Blasts +10 (+12 Ranged Damage, DC 27)
Mind Control -- (+10 Perception-Ranged Affliction, DC 20)
Earth Attacks +10 Area (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +3 (+7-11 Force Field), Fortitude +6, Will +8

Complications:
Responsibility (The Will of Chthon)- Modred pledged his soul to Chthon, and must do his master's bidding when commanded.
Responsibility (His Own Man)- Modred has more lucid moments where he will fight for the greater good, but sadly he will often fall back into his old ways, turning on his allies at a moment's notice. Few will trust him for long.

Total: Abilities: 62 / Skills: 40--20 / Advantages: 11 / Powers: 68 / Defenses: 16 (177)

-Modred the Mystic is one of those numerous villains that show up from time to time to fight Dr. Strange, though he was played up the most in the "Darkhold" book, where he was more of a "shades of grey" type character. He had pledged his soul to Chthon, but felt large amounts of guilt over it, and tried to oppose his master a few times. Eventually he was turned into a full-on villain again (looks like Chris Cooper was the only writer with that idea for his characterization), where he again became a secondary Dr. Strange guy.

-Magic Characters are always tough to figure out regarding what powers they have, but these are the basics I can gather from online sources. I made Modred a PL 11 because he's been a challenge for Dr. Strange in the past, and he's a good match for many other characters, in addition to killing many of the Knights of Wundagore. And since Chthon is an Elder God, he can often randomly assign Modred a HUGE amount of extra power (they have a power explicitly for this purpose).
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Jab's Builds: Mr. X, Marvel Cards, Dracula, Darkhold Team

Postby Ares » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:57 pm

Modred is one of those guys I'm almost a 'Red Guardian Fan' of. I want to say that initially he was something of a tragic hero, someone who had given his soul up to Chthon to save the life/soul of his girlfriend, the two of them having been able to enter the room where the Darkhold was kept due to their innate goodness. I want to say he was a hero early on, helping out the Thing in an issue of Marvel Two-in-One, but when Chthon exerted control over him, he became a villain that fought the Avengers, as well as the Captains America and Britain.

He's someone I felt would have made for a nice second tier mystic hero, working to reclaim his soul, trying to do good deeds, possibly even getting it back, etc. But like Midnight Sun, he never gets that kind of push.

I think given my love for obscure characters, it's no wonder why I spend so much time in this thread. ^_^ I might have to start making requests for characters like Mechamage (the only Southern Superheroine in a suit of Magiteck Power Armor I've ever heard of) or Torgo (the alien robot, not the lackey from "Manos, the Hands of Fate").
Ares
Hero
Hero

Postby Jabroniville » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:53 am

Ares, you oughta write a Marvel book called "Midnight Sun & Modred: D-League Superstars", and have them fight all the bottom-tier obscure villains :).

Looking at that list of X-Men cards, I am always amused at the heights and weights. As the guy points out, Cannonball is built like a pro wrestler, yet weighs 150 lbs. (30 less than I do, and I am shorter and not a wrestler). Criminy, he is actually TALLER yet WEIGHS LESS that PSYLOCKE!!!

I don't get why the guy's obsessed with the card numbering, though- it really makes no difference what the order is.
Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Ares » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:50 am

Jabroniville wrote:Ares, you oughta write a Marvel book called "Midnight Sun & Modred: D-League Superstars", and have them fight all the bottom-tier obscure villains :).

Hmmm, depending on how I write Modred, it could be fun. It's important to have a nice personality mix with this kind of buddy cop stuff, like Iron Fist and Luke Cage or Odo and Garak from Star Trek DS9.

"One's a martial arts master who dresses like a pulp era crime fighter, given cybernetic cosmic power by the Kree, but at the cost of his voice and memories. The other is a master of magic who sold his soul to dark powers in order to save the ones he loved, tortured by the memories of what he was forced to do in the name of evil. Now, the two of them are going to fight to regain what they've lost, even if they have to stomp a mud hole in every D-List villain this side of Stegron the Dinosaur Man. Coming this fall, Midnight Sun and Modred are: Two Guys in Capes."

Maybe I should just make a team of 'Forgotten Heroes' like DC did, only actually use people that have some potential. I could have thrown in the 616 Mimic if they hadn't used him over in the latest X-Men book.
Ares
Hero
Hero

Re: Jab's Builds: Mr. X, Marvel Cards, Dracula, Darkhold Tea

Postby Jabroniville » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:00 pm

ELSIE-DEE
Created By:
Larry Hama & Marc Silvestri
First Appearance: Wolverine #37 (1991)
Role: Kid Sidekick
Group Affiliations: The Reavers
PL 8 (68)
STRENGTH
5 STAMINA -- AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 6 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Athletics 5 (+10)
Deception 4 (+5)
Expertise (Science) 6 (+12)
Stealth 3 (+6)
Technology 6 (+12)

Advantages:
Eidetic Memory, Inventor, Ranged Attack 2

Powers:
"Android Body"
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
Protection 8 [8]
"Interface With Computers" Communication (Electronic) 2 [8]
"Computer Brain" Quickness 6 (Flaws: Limited to Mental Tasks) [3]
"Robo-Legs" Speed 4 (60 mph) [4]
Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]
Senses 1 (Low-Light Vision) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +8, Fortitude --, Will +5

Complications:
Vulnerably (Magnetic, Electrical Attacks)- Being made of metal, Elsie-Dee will take more damage from magnetic and electrical effects.

Total: Abilities: 44 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 53 / Defenses: 8 (68)

-Elsie-Dee was a character that bugged me back in the day- reading my comics-loving friend's "Wolverine" comics, it was the big Hama arc featuring a tiny girl android (who had Elmuh Fudd Syndwome regarding her inability to pronounce "R"s correctly) and a Wolverine Android named Albert. Nowadays, knowing that Hama is the genius behind "G.I. Joe" and it's comic series, I might have to take another look. But in any case, Elsie & Albert had a lot of adventures as background characters (though I recall her interacting with the real Wolverine very little), and eventually just kind of petered-out.

---

ALBERT
Created By:
Larry Hama & Marc Silvestri
First Appearance: Wolverine #37 (1991)
Role: Robot Duplicate
Group Affiliations: The Reavers
PL 9 (150)
STRENGTH
5 STAMINA -- AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 6 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Athletics 5 (+10)
Deception 4 (+5)
Expertise (Science) 6 (+12)
Expertise (History) 8 (+14)
Stealth 3 (+6)
Technology 8 (+14)

Advantages:
Eidetic Memory, Inventor, Ranged Attack 2

Powers:
"Android Body"
Protection 10 [10]
"Interface With Computers" Communication (Electronic) 2 [8]
"Computer Brain" Quickness 6 (Flaws: Limited to Mental Tasks) [3]
"Robo-Legs" Speed 4 (60 mph) [4]
Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]
Senses 14 (Low-Light Vision, Extended Vision 5, Infravision, Acute Scent, Extended Scent 4, Tracking 2) [14]

"Wolverine-Esque Claws" Strength-Damage +3 (Feats: Split, Penetrating 4) [8]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Claws +8 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +10, Fortitude --, Will +5

Complications:
Vulnerably (Magnetic, Electrical Attacks)- Being made of metal, Albert will take more damage from magnetic and electrical effects.

Total: Abilities: 44 / Skills: 34--17 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 76 / Defenses: 9 (150)

-Albert was pretty much usually seen hanging around with Elsie-Dee and being an excuse for Marc Silvestri to draw his favourite thing- guys with lots of stuff hanging off of them. He wasn't that much of a fighter, despite being a Robo-Logan, but he had all the bonuses that Elsie did, plus more powerful Senses and the Claws, making him pretty dangerous anyways.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Jab's Builds: Mr. X, Marvel Cards, Dracula, Darkhold Tea

Postby Jabroniville » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:15 pm

DEVIL-SLAYER (Eric Simon Payne)
Created By:
Rich Buckler
First Appearance: Marvel Spotlight #33 (April 1977)
Role: Monster-Slayer
Group Affiliations: The Defenders, The Initiative (The Point Men), The Agents of Fortune, The Revengers
PL 9 (184), PL 11 (184) Against Monsters
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+5)
Athletics 4 (+7)
Expertise (Soldier) 4 (+7)
Expertise (Magic) 8 (+11)
Insight 3 (+5)
Intimidation 6 (+7)
Investigation 3 (+4)
Perception 5 (+7)
Stealth 3 (+6)

Advantages:
Chokehold, Daze (Intimidation), Favoured Enemy (Monsters & Supernatural Foes), Improved Critical (Summoned Weapons), Precise Attack (Close/Concealment), Ranged Attack 7

Powers:
"Shadow Cloak" (Flaws: Removable) [52]
Teleport 6 (Extras: Extended, Accurate, Portal +2) (36)
    AE: "Whips, Grappling" Strength-Damage +3 (Feats: Reach 4, Split, Fast Grab, Improved Grab, Improved Hold)
    AE: "Grappling Cloak" Snare 8 (Flaws: Limited to One Target -2) (Diminished Range -1) (7)
    AE: Movement 2 (Dimensional Travel 2) (Extras: Portal +2) (8)
"Endless Supply of Weapons" Variable 4 (Weapons) (Extras: Continuous, Affects Others) (28)
-- (64 points)

Senses 5 (Mystical Awareness- Ranged 3, Tracking) [5]
"Illusion of Non-Costumed Appearance" Enhanced Advantages: Quick Change [1]
"Telekinesis" Move Object 7 (14) -- [15]
    AE: "Telepathy" Mind-Reading 4 (8)
"Specialized Monster-Killer" (All Have Flaws: Limited to Monsters & Supernatural Entities)
Enhanced Fighting 2 [2]
Enhanced Advantages 2: Ranged Attack 2 [1]
Enhanced Dodge 2 [1]
Strength-Damage +2 [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Against Monsters +13 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Weapons +11 (+4-7 Damage, DC 19-22)
Against Monsters +13 (+6-9 Damage, DC 21-24)
Guns +11 (+4-6 Damage, DC 19-21)
Guns Against Monsters +13 (+4-6 Damage, DC 19-21)
Grappling Cloak +11 (+8 Ranged Affliction, DC 18)
Cloak Against Monsters +13 (+8 Ranged Affliction, DC 18)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +4, Fortitude +6, Will +6

Complications:
Relationship (Cory, Wife)- Devil-Slayer's wife stayed with The Agents of Fortune cult after Eric had left it, but they eventually reunited. She died years ago, however.
Motivation (Slaying Supernatural Threats)
Responsibility (Personal Problems)- A man with a tragic past, Eric Payne is deeply-troubled, and has fallen into madness, alcoholism and other bad habits in the past.

Total: Abilities: 62 / Skills: 38--19 / Advantages: 12 / Powers: 77 / Defenses: 14 (184)

-Devil-Slayer was created by Rich Buckler, who'd created a pair of similar characters for more Independent companies (Demon Hunter in 1975, Bloodwing in 1980), apparently REALLY liking this concept (it's like Steve Englehart's Mantis, except some people have actually heard of Mantis). He had brief runs in The Defenders, but really didn't show up in much of anything other than that except for some odd one-offs in the '90s, and some short-lived bits in the late 2000s. The only comic I have featuring him was in The Initiative portion of "Secret Invasion", as he helped The Point Men (Hawaii's Initiative team) fight off the initial Skrull invasion. His history is long and confusing, and the Too Long; Don't Want to Read version is right here, if you're interested.

-Devil-Slayer was a cult member who turned on his pals (and wife) and helped The Defenders against them. He stuck with the team for a good while before vanishing for years, and ultimately helped The Initiative beat back some of the Super-Skrulls who'd infiltrated the Fifty State Initiative by teleporting the Skrull Kill Krew around. Then he joined Wonder Man's Revengers for no adequately explored reason other than that Bendis needed another name he recognized from his beloved 1970s era of comics.

-Devil-Slayer is a decidedly-average superhero for the most part, packing good fighting ability to human stats and a Grappling Teleportation Cloak, though his ability to pull weapons out of his cloak is rather effective. In effect, he can pull out nearly any melee or ranged weapon (medieval to futuristic) and even give it to others. However, adding to this, I also wanted to build him to be an above-average guy when it came to monsters, and thus I added stuff that I put onto my "Ranger" builds when I did Fantasy stuff- D.S. can do extra damage to beings like that, in addition to being more accurate against them. He's quite expensive thanks to having a good Device, a Continuous Variable effect, AND a power-set separate from that whole deal as well.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Jab's Builds: Dracula, Darkhold, Elsie-Dee, Devil-Slayer

Postby Gazman » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:35 am

Albert and LCD are two of my personal favorite weird and wacky comic background characters so its nice to see them statted up. Two minor quibbles with the write-ups though. I'm pretty sure they both deserve Inventor. I've seen them robots build gadgets more advanced than we have now at of early 90s scrap. And Elsie-Dee's whole body is made out of high explosives. Seriously.
Gazman
Hero
Hero

Postby Jabroniville » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:28 pm

HARDCORE (Real Name Unknown)
Created By:
Marcus McLaurin & Dwayne Turner
First Appearance: Cage #1 (April 1992)
Role: Rival Villain, Assassin
Group Affiliation: The Untouchables
PL 10 (129)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+6)
Athletics 4 (+7)
Close Attack (Unarmed) 2 (+12)
Deception 4 (+6)
Expertise (Assassin) 6 (+8)
Insight 2 (+5)
Intimidation 3 (+5)
Perception 1 (+4)
Ranged Combat (Japanese Weapons) 2 (+12)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Defensive Attack, Equipment 7 (Japanese Weaponry), Ranged Attack 6, Startle, Takedown

Powers:
"Martial Artist" Strength-Damage +1 [1]
"Hands That Can Cut Steel" Strength-Damage +4 (Feats: Improved Critical 2, Split, Penetrating 8) [15]

"Kinetic Kevlar Vest" (Flaws: Removable) [9]
Protection 6 (Extras: Impervious 5) (11 points)

Equipment:
"Weapon Arsenal"
"Shock Drug Gun" Blast 5 (Diminished Range -1) Linked to Affliction 7 (Strength; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated) (Extras: Ranged, Area- 15ft. Cloud) (Diminished Range -1) (29) -- (33)
    AE: "Shuriken & Sanjira Bullets" Blast 4 (Extras: Multiattack) (12)
    AE: "Manrikisa Chains With Tasers" Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Reach, Fast Grab, Improved Hold) Linked to Affliction 7 (Strength; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated) (Feats: Reach) (12)
    AE: "Chains With Explosives" Damage 8 (Feats: Reach) (9)
    AE: "Plastic Explosives" Blast 8 (Feats: Triggered- Time) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (17)
Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Steel-Cutting Hands +10 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Shock Drug Gun +10 (+5 Ranged Damage & +7 Ranged Affliction, DC 20 & 17)
Shuriken +12 (+4 Ranged Damage, DC 19)
Chains With Tasers +10 (+5 Damage & +7 Affliction, DC 20 & 17)
Chains With Explosives +10 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +4 (+10 Kevlar, +3 Impervious), Fortitude +6, Will +5

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)

Total: Abilities: 64 / Skills: 26--13 / Advantages: 17 / Powers: 25 / Defenses: 10 (129)

-Hardcore was sort of chosen to be Cage's full-time Rival in the new "Cage" series Marvel created in 1992. Since EVERYONE was getting their own solo book, from newbie rookies to established characters, it only made sense to give Luke Cage his own book again. This Cage was less "1970s stereotype" and more "1990s stereotype", complete with giant muscles, black-guy-fade haircut and Street Clothes As A Uniform, and like most of these lesser-known side-books, he was written and drawn by a pair of guys I've never heard of- Stan Lee once defended the whole "Marvel has too many books out now" accusation by essentially bringing up the point that sure, many of these guys aren't quite ready for the big times, but how ELSE will they learn than by cutting their teeth on new, less-important books? Jim Lees aren't created fully-formed, ya know (I have the forgettable "Alpha Flight" books to prove it).

-The same facts prove true even today- witness Matt Fraction doing very well on the relatively-nothing character Iron Fist, which allowed him an upgrade to the X-Men and other books (as well as an upgrade for Danny Rand as a character). Sure, it doesn't always work (like Cage, who took another decade & a half before he became relevant again), but when it doesn't, what was the loss? At least they tried. In any case, Hardcore here was a pretty generic "Rival" villain. He ALSO had the "Shonen Manga" type power of "normal human, but he learned to MAKE HIS HANDS CUT STEEL" (hilariously, bios state that he has no powers, BUT can cut steel with his freaking hands), which is a handy thing to have against a man with steel-like skin. Hardcore tried to kill Cage (and members of his family), but was ultimately killed when his car exploded (for some reason unknown to me).

-Hardcore ends up being a pretty bad dude, being able to do horrible damage to even Cage if necessary. He fights like a Martial Artist, but adds in Cutty Hands and a boatload of strange, off-kilter equipment that utilizes tasers and drugs and stuff- '90s Villains tended to be big on large arsenals (so did '90s Heroes, to think of it), and he can modify a few of his caps to be more accurate and harder to hit. A short-lived guy like this could be PL 8-9, but I think holding his own with Luke Cage all those times, and being an Accurate/Powerful Guy works out in his favour, despite only being PL 10 defensively (since he's a martial artist with a super-vest).
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Jabroniville » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:37 pm

HANNIBAL KING
Created By:
Gene Colan & Marv Wolfman
First Appearance: Tomb of Dracula #25 (Oct. 1974)
Role: Vampire Detective
Group Affiliations: The Nightstalkers, The Midnight Sons
PL 9 (185)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA -- AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Deception 4 (+6)
Expertise (Streetwise) 5 (+8)
Expertise (Supernatural) 7 (+10)
Insight 2 (+6)
Intimidation 4 (+6)
Investigation 5 (+9)
Perception 3 (+7)
Ranged Combat (Guns) 4 (+12)
Stealth 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Equipment 2 (Pistol +5), Favoured Enemy (Vampires & Supernatural Beings), Improved Critical (Guns), Improved Initiative, Quick Draw, Ranged Attack 4, Tracking, Well-Informed

Powers:
"Super-Strong Vampire"
Protection 7 [7]
Impervious Toughness 8 (Flaws: Not versus Wood, Fire, Silver or Holy Weapons) [4]
Regeneration 6 (Feats: Regrow Limbs) (Flaws: Source- Blood) [4]
Immortality 4 (Flaws: Not if Staked, Beheaded or Dealt With in Mystical Ways) [4]
Speed 3 (16 mph) [3]
Senses (Low-Light Vision, Acute Scent) [2]

"Hypnosis" Mind Control 8 (Extras: Area- Visual Perception) (Flaws: Touch Range -2) (24) -- [26]
    AE: Shapeshift 3 (Flaws: Limited to Wolves, Bats, Mist) (24)
    AE: "Command Vermin" Mind Control 4 (Extras: Area- 250ft. Burst +4, Sustained +2) (Flaws: Touch Range -2, Limited to Animals, Limited to Rodents, Bats & Wolves) (24)
"The Vampire's Bite" Strength-Damage +1 Linked to Weaken Stamina 8 (Flaws: Grab-Based, Limited to 1 Rank Per Round) Linked to Affliction 8 (Fort; Entranced/Compelled/Transformed to Vampire) (Extras: Cumulative) (Flaws: Grab-Based) [11]

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Vampire's Bite +10 (+7 Damage & Weaken +8 & Affliction +8, DC 22, 18 & 18)
Initiative +8

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +7, Fortitude --, Will +8

Complications:
Motivation (Justice)- Hannibal is a detective, and also refuses to give in to his vampiric urges.
Enemy (Vampires)- Hannibal King is an enemy of Deacon Frost (his sire, whom he killed) and Dracula in particular, but all vampires in general.
Motivation (Hunting the Supernatural)- The Nightstalkers wish to slay all supernatural creatures- even Ghost Rider is a potential target of theirs.
Weakness (Garlic, Sunlight)- Both are anathema to vampires, and will cause horrible pain. Direct sunlight will kill a vampire of any power level.
Weakness (Holy Symbols)- Witnessing or touching a Holy Symbol is painful to vampires, but only if the wearer belives.
Weakness (Lack of Blood, Home Soil)- Though Immune to Fortitude Effects, Hannibal can effectively starve to death if deprived of blood- he is even addicted to the substance. He must also spend some amount of time in contact with his native soil.
Quirk (No Reflection)- Vampires do not cast reflections in any mirrored surface.

Total: Abilities: 56 / Skills: 32--16 / Advantages: 12 / Powers: 91 / Defenses: 10 (185)

-Hannibal King was a "Tomb of Dracula" character with the gimmick of being a repentant vampire- killed by Deacon Frost, he refused to give in to his vampiric urges, and instead drank from animals or blood banks, and still went about his Detective work at night. He met up with Blade early-on, and the two of them teamed up to kill Frost. When the two of them teamed up with Frank Drake, they met up with Doctor Strange and cast The Montesi Formula, which destroyed all the vampires in the world- King was immune because he had never killed a human being with his powers. The trio eventually teamed up again as The Nightstalkers in the "Midnight Sons" era of Ghost Rider's books, and had a short-lived title for a while.

-King's later stories were extremely minor in scope (at one point, Blade slew him to prevent him from aiding a formula to remove all Vampires' weaknesses at the expense of returning their souls, but he returned quickly), and he's a very obscure character overall (despite being one of three comic book characters ruined forever by Ryan "Soulless Abomination of an Actor" Reynolds)- the fact that his closest allies, Doctor Strange and Blade, don't tend to sell very well in comic book form seems to hurt one of their side-character buddies (also, at points he can look about as generic a side-character as humanly possible). One of the more clever things about the character was his introduction, which revealed he was a vampire only in the last panel, though clues were spread throughout the issue- Marv Wolfman pointed many out to fans, as Wikipedia points out (check it out; it's kinda fun).

-Hannibal King is a vampire just like Dracula, and has most of the same core powers, with Shapeshifting, Hypnotism and Vermin Control thrown onto a very strong character. Combining Vampire Powers onto any other kind of build (in this case, a Detective of fairly high skill) proves to be a very expensive proposition- with their trademark Immunity to Fortitude Effects, they have almost 100 points spent on Powers. King isn't exactly hella-tough or anything (and would lose BADLY against Dracula himself), but he's still fairly effective.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Jab's Builds: Dracula, Elsie-Dee, Devilslayer, Hannibal King

Postby Grayson » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:48 am

I know this makes me sound really superficial but I just can't get past Modred's shoes.
Grayson
Compatriot
Compatriot

PreviousNext

Return to Roll Call