Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

Jab's Builds: Fear Lords, Dark Man, DC's Thriller, The S-Men

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.

Re: Jab's Builds: Gladiator, Amatsu-Mikaboshi, Seekers, Mister X

Postby FuzzyBoots » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:01 am

badpenny wrote:Someone (Paragon maybe?) said he was going to play around with the idea of implementing a relative degree concept for damage (in the way 2e Autofire worked) to make attack-shifted characters actually count for something. Because they do in fiction, but it seldom matters in MnM.

Elric put together such a houserule among his proposed fixes for the tradeoff, although I'm sure he's not unique in having considered 2E Autofire.
FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Jabroniville » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:19 pm

Yeah, I think Mister X here is suited to what he does- fighting martial artists and "slightly above human" guys and wiping the floor with them. He's not dangerous enough to REALLY start wiping out PL 12 Powerhouses with regularity, but a) that's no exactly his M.O. in the first place, as he fights Street Level guys and not Ben Grimm, and b) a human being shouldn't really be able to steamroll Powerhouses in the long run anyways. In the comics, I see very few "Accurate Guy" builds beating up Sasquatch or Thor, so I think M&M actually realistically depicts how comics work- Accuracy-Shifted guys are better at different things, and are slightly worse in the long run. And like Murkglow says, he has Power Attack anyways.

I mean, if Daredevil & Colossus are the same Power Level, does that really mean that a fight between them is even? The comics sure wouldn't show that, but I find it hard to believe they're THAT far apart in PL.
Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Thorpacolypse » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:09 pm

Jabroniville wrote:Yeah, I think Mister X here is suited to what he does- fighting martial artists and "slightly above human" guys and wiping the floor with them. He's not dangerous enough to REALLY start wiping out PL 12 Powerhouses with regularity, but a) that's no exactly his M.O. in the first place, as he fights Street Level guys and not Ben Grimm, and b) a human being shouldn't really be able to steamroll Powerhouses in the long run anyways. In the comics, I see very few "Accurate Guy" builds beating up Sasquatch or Thor, so I think M&M actually realistically depicts how comics work- Accuracy-Shifted guys are better at different things, and are slightly worse in the long run. And like Murkglow says, he has Power Attack anyways.

I mean, if Daredevil & Colossus are the same Power Level, does that really mean that a fight between them is even? The comics sure wouldn't show that, but I find it hard to believe they're THAT far apart in PL.

Couldn't agree more. I'm glad someone referenced Elric's statistical info on Attack vs. Damage traded characters, because it completely makes sense for "real comic world" effect. A PL14 Lady Shiva still really doesn't have much of a shot against a PL14 Mary Marvel. It may take longer for Mary to tag her, but when she does, Shiva will be out and even a +11 Leopard Blow from Shiva (+6 with full Power Attack) would do damage, but unless Mary blows a Toughness save roll twice or is out of HP, she'd most likely soak anything Shiva would throw at her.

I'd like to see a well written Mr. X get some more run, actually. I think it's a decent gimmick, at least for street level opponents like DD or Spidey.
Shop J-Mart!

Service with a smilie! :)
Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Location: Bloomington, IL (Summer home in the dark recesses of the human psyche...)

Postby Ares » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:38 pm

Yeah, I agree that it makes complete sense for characters who are roughly on the same level point total wise to not necessarily be an even match for each other. Like Jab said, Daredevil is going to have very little chance of harming Colossus in a straight up fight, while Colossus is going to have a heck of a time even tagging Daredevil. Matt just doesn't have the raw damage to harm Peter, so if he was going to win he'd have to do things that you see costumed normals do in comics, namely evade, use the surroundings, use attacks that don't attack a subjects toughness directly, etc.

For high accuracy guys to really have a shot against high toughness characters, they generally need some kind of way around their targets defenses. Characters like Mantis have Super Pressure Point knowledge, Karnak has Weak Point Detection, Iron Fist has Enhanced Chi Strike Damage, and Karate Kid has a combination of all three.
Ares
Hero
Hero

Postby Jabroniville » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:43 pm

Cool to see many of us are on the same page- it's technically unbalanced in a "Versus Battle" sort of way, but I like it because it's effectively another kind of Game Balance trick- Spider-Man is a hefty PL 11, but a PL 9 uber-Powerhouse who does much more damage than him can still be a legitimate threat, because it might bridge the gap between PLs a bit.

That way, you don't even have to always make your villains super-uber to challenge the heroes (the "Threat Reports" book contains almost nothing but super high-level builds, even with guys who you wouldn't imagine would be giant threats in the comics)- someone with a +17 Damage Bonus and terrible accuracy at PL 11 or so would still wreck many PL 10 heroes unlucky enough to fight him.

Oh, I altered Mister X's exact Flaw, essentially inventing a new one for him- instead of Resistible By Will (which bothered me because nobody really makes the save against him), animals, berserkers, speedsters and non-thinking fighters (yeah I agree with Ares, that's a bit silly since that's what most fighters are trained to do anyways) can neutralize his advantages in combat. In a few cases, it'd be Will Checks anyways (especially in the Iron Fist example, or when Wolverine went nuts against him), but someone with Mental Quickness can avert him as well.
Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Jab's Builds: Gladiator, Amatsu-Mikaboshi, Seekers, Mist

Postby Jabroniville » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:53 pm

Strong Guy is not an X-Man! What the hell, Card!?!

MARVEL CARDS:

-For my next set, I basically got an idea while scoping out my old Marvel Cards from the binder I had when I was a kid. After remembering all of these forgotten nobodies (most of whom were new or relevant at the time, but no more), I figured I'd post a few of them... after realizing just HOW MANY of these guys I hadn't built before, and decided to complete a set, as it were.

-These cards were pretty great- trading cards with bios of the various Marvel characters. Funnily enough, when Series I came out, I was barely even a comic fan, and my friends would actually joke about it because I had no idea how to play along when they all talked comics (nowadays it's all newfangled things like Pokemon and Dragon Whatsits or Zip-Zops or something. Damned kids). They'd actually make up stuff to win arguments, because I didn't know better- one friend told me that all of the X-Men had claws, and that Wolverine (their favourite) and Captain America (my favourite) had fought, and Logan beat Cap so bad with his claws that he nearly died and The Avengers had to come save him. Because kids are DICKS.

-It is actually these very cards that led to me learning the majority of what I initially knew about comics- these were the first instances I had ever read of Jean Grey, Shadowcat, Sub-Mariner, Captain Britain, Silver Sable, The New Warriors and dozens of others.

* Series I came out in 1990, when I was eleven years old. It was pretty basic stuff, featuring mini-bios, a "Did You Know?" section, a ton of notes (debut, height, weight, and Arch-Enemies), and a Win-Loss Record (the Win-Loss records were odd- I wonder if they actually calculated those out or just made them up. I doubt Baron Zemo really had 184 battles in the comics by 1990, so I think the latter). The cards were a bit bland by later standards (from the standard "single colour pictureframe around the image" to the standard "box" design of everything to the pedestrian art chosen), but some had some decent art. I have the fewest of these of most of the sets as I never actually COLLECTED these so much as got some from friends and X-Men toys (the original "then cool, now hilariously plain" X-Men toys came with cards from this series), having only 23 in total. A few things that were never repeated include the "Most Valuable Comics" cards (I have Avengers #1 and Wolverine #1) and "Spider-Man Presents", featuring Spidey giving tongue-in-cheek interviews with assorted Marvel characters (Doctor Doom: "Would YOU go to a Doctor named DOOM?"), and the "Team Pictures" cards were more like posted photographs that mostly only showed heads.

-Of particular note here is the specific era of comics- the current X-Men sometimes wore the generic team outfits and had SUNDER as a member of the team (but the picture is clearly of Strong Guy before he got the name), and had Gambit in his original, skeevy-looking regular-eyed design instead of the heterosexuality-threatening red-eyed Frenchman you see nowadays. What REALLY bugged me was that Alpha Flight had a team picture, but didn't say who was whom- without Wikipedia, I had NO IDEA which ones Windshear and Persuasion were. Wolverine was then known as "Patch", and Spider-Man got a card featuring the Black Costume (which I thought was the GREATEST CARD AND COSTUME EVER... sadly, I never had it.

Read all the "Spider-Man Presents" ones here: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_hF09r6XaLRo/S ... n+iron+man (some of them are actually pretty funny- "I'm a failure as a father!" "Yes! Also best-looking!")

* Series II was extremely cool, and a big improvement. The art took a step up, and it added.... *GASP* POWER RATINGS!!!! It is this feature that basically is solely responsible for my current dorky obsession with statting stuff up- the results of which you read in 370-ish pages before this post right here. The Ratings featured Strength, Speed, Agility, Stamina, Durability and Intelligence rated from 1 through 7... which provided some odd bits of info. See, at this point, Strength 1 was someone who couldn't lift more than their own body weight, leaving a LOT of female characters with the lowest possible score- even Gambit & Quasar were only Strength 1! Agility was usually pretty low throughout (not everyone is Spider-Man), and Stamina was often as well... it's actually the weirdest stat they ever used. When the hell did comic book characters typically show endurance to that extent? It also had the curious side effect of making some characters look REALLY weak on the chart- Marvel Girl didn't have a single stat over "3", because there was no stat for her Telekinetic or Telepathic powers. Similarly, The Punisher was weak, Daredevil had low stats (a "4" in Agility?), and more.

-"Class 100 Strength" rears it's infamous head here as well- you will STILL see fans online quote that as a break between the Elite Class and the Strong Class of characters- The Thing, Sasquatch and others were all stuck here (despite lifting hundreds to thousands of tons in the comics sometimes)- Mark Gruenwald (my Muse of Nerdy Statting), who preferred lower and more established power levels, was still alive and in power, after all. Rogue was also somewhat under-represented, with a "4" for Strength (putting her in the same class as Beast & Spider-Man, not just below Colossus' "6"). Invisible Woman didn't have a single stat over "3", Scarlet Witch never broke a "2", etc.! I loved the stats, but some were often way out of whack (Punisher has Stamina & Agility "4" only? The Juggernaut was the same strength as Warpath & Colossus), and failed to establish how powerful some guys could be. Deathlok could also apparently lift 50 tons! As you'd expect, the powerhouse stats went to Silver Surfer, Thor & Galactus (who had a "1" in Stamina to reflect his hunger, I guess).

-The main thing aside from Power Ratings was that these cards looked GREAT. Every single card was at LEAST "Average" (and Hawkeye was wearing shades for some reason), and many were stunning. Deathlok, Dr. Strange, Annihilus & Thanos were BITCHING. Marvel Girl looked STUNNING (I was in love instantly. I was only 12 and she was startlingly-attractive in form), Shadowcat was cute as hell, etc. There's a section on "Weapons", showing The Infinity Gauntlet, Daredevil's Billy Club, Web-Shooters, Iron Man Armour, etc.

-More era-specific stuff: Thor is and was always Eric Masterson to me, by virtue of every Thor Card I had for two straight years (my formative comic years) featuring the bearded newbie. Shadowcat & Nightcrawler were always Excalibur members to me, Ulik & Saracen were notable villains to me, Sleepwalker, Rage & Darkhawk were notable heroes (I mean, they had ROOKIE CARDS!), etc. I was OBSESSED with my brother's "Avengers vs. Ultron- Arch-Enemies" card and got in trouble when I begged and pleaded with him to trade for it (pretty sure I cried- hey, I was twelve :)), I'm pretty sure because it had a cat-girl in a bikini on it (ah, Tigra). The coolest cards were the "Power Ratings" ones, which actually showed what all the powers represented (nobody got a "7" in Agility)- Aunt May was frequently used for the "1" ratings, and poor Absorbing Man got stuck with "Intelligence 1- Mentally Deficient".

An overview (without paragraph breaks) and list of every card here: http://marvel.com/news/story/1098/make_ ... s_series_2

* Series III was next, and another step up, though the art took more of a nosedive. While Series II had some great panels of art, with full backgrounds, Series III did a kind of weird thing where it was a shot of the guy's full body on a starfield background (which linked up between cards), and a tiny shaped-pictureframe behind them (some guys had squares, others had rectangles or circles. A few even had triangles!). The Power Ratings got an upgrade, dropping the usually-low Agility & Stamina scores for Energy Projection, Mental Powers and Fighting Ability, suddenly leaving guys with REALLY high stats in some categories. It made a lot of people suck less, too.

-Not that the Power Ratings couldn't be inaccurate- many guys undergoing a current big "Push" as a character got HUGE Fighting Ability scores (Bishop & Shiva got a "6"- two points higher than Black Panther! Cable & Omega Red got the full "7"!). The Invisible Woman was stuck with Energy Projection "4", almost every single strong character was stuck with a "3-4" range Fighting, etc. One odd effect was that every single character got boosted to at least a "2" in Strength (own weight to the human maximum), meaning that everyone from Polaris to Captain America had the same Strength. Sabretooth was human-level strength, despite being WAY strong in many apperances, though the X-Books could be iffy on keeping it straight.
Of all the heroes, Weapon Omega was by far the most obscure. This series also gave me my lifelong disgust of The Guardians of the Galaxy- I took one look at Charlie-27 and hated 'em. Starhawk was rad, though.

-"Famous Battles/Arch-Enemies" gave way towards "Team-Ups" (which, like the Battles series, showed one instance where the characters met) and "Origins", "Milestones" (Death of Gwen Stacy, Dark Phoenix Saga and other famous events) and "Wars" (usually Crossovers like "X-tinction Agenda" & "Inferno"). "Rookies" include The Pantheon (again, era-specific. They were The Hulk's team), Slapstick, Cerise & Kylun from "Excalibur", Strong Guy, The Darkhold Redeemers (the worst name imaginable), Bishop, Silhouette and Talon. "Cosmic Beings" featured the huge Cosmic dudes I'd NEVER seen before- I'd never seen Eternity, The Living Tribunal or Ego before this (I was only reading X-Books and Captain America). Other weirdness- nobodies like Zarrko the Tomorrow Man and Zodiak have cards. Carnage is miscoloured to have dark blue/black as his majority colour, with the rest of him red. Maelstrom is drawn so skinny that he looks ridiculous. THE SLUG of all people gets a card!

* There's some Marvel Masterpieces and X-Men Cards and stuff in here as well- The first series of X-Men cards had some GREAT Jim Lee art for EVERYBODY (I wonder if they paid him well for that... given he left for Image right after, I'd imagine not), and the Masterpieces had some very cool stuff mixed alongside some rather pedestrian bits (Mandarin & Loki bad, Hulk, Bullseye & Iceman good). I liked that they included an image of the character's debut issue as well. I should point out that heights and weights listed on all the bios can be funny- I am QUITE certain that The Juggernaut is taller than 6'10"- I've seen him tower twice as high as some people. This is generally a weakness in all bios for fictional characters.

So out of character for Sue... so hard for me to mind overly-much...

* Series IV featured a cool new thing- the 9-panel pictures, where a full page of your card-slipcover things would make one giant super-image. This series was the weakest for actual info on the back, though- while it's boring read the paragraph-long origin stories on each card-back, these ones only featured a modicum of information, a "Did You Know?" on the bottom, and only had FOUR Power Ratings per guy (adding all the prior ones seen), often choosing powers at random to show (why even HAVE Stamina on there?). Series IV is also the weirdest for sheer random assortment of goofy one-shot characters that don't matter. The Thing is wearing his metal mask from when Wolverine slashed his face, Occulus and Proctor have cards, losers like Deadzone, Siege, Shock, Hardcore, Terror Inc. and Heart Attack. And now, I'm a pretty big comic book fan. I've made a name for myself just off the knowledge of hordes of pointless jobbers... and I HAVE NEVER, IN MY ENTIRE LIFE, read a comic featuring ANY of those characters! I've never even seen them outside of these Cards, they're so minor! A handful of them were just guys from that year's Marvel releases (and thus had no longevity, since this was 1994 and comics were going through the Bust), but seriously- it was at least a nice switch from the "Same Old" major characters we'd been getting before that. It's a very interesting "snapshot" at comics in that particular moment, almost like getting a Digest Anthology of every comic released that year rather than a "best of" collection of every good character ever.

-And OH MY GOD IT'S THE BOMBER JACKET AVENGERS. WOW did that era suck for the team. Unsurprisingly, this card set takes place during the Comic Book Bust when Marvel and other companies started losing money left and right.

-Most of the panels are pretty good, but lack something because they try to link up the characters (which means that many big-name X-Men and others get left out). The pages basically go: Solo Heroes (Hulk, Moon Knight, Silver Sable & her Wild Pack), Cosmic Characters, New Warriors, X-Force, Alpha Flight/Excalibur, Magic Guys (Strange, Sleepwalker, Thor), Spider-Man, Avengers West Coast, Fantastic Four, Street Level (Cage, Punisher... She-Hulk?), Avengers, Ghost Rider (yeah, he was a big enough character back then that ALL the Midnight Sons got Cards), X-Men, Alien Races (a cool idea), Marvel U.K. (featuring those GOD-AWFUL over-the-top '90s guys), and Unsolved Mysteries (many of which were answered later... Nightcrawler & Cable's origins, Wolverine's, the Sixth Infinity Watch member- Thanos- and the Fate of the X-Men- Onslaught; and a current mystery like The Face of Doctor Doom).

Gaze upon the Series IV panels here: http://www.mikekloc.com/nonsport/Marvel ... /index.php

-All in all, these cards were great fun, though it kinda fell apart later. Later sets did come out, but I only collected a card or two. One series had REALLY ugly "shiny" art and holographic bits on every card, and I got out of comics right around 1994 anyways, so I have little knowledge of those sets. But overall, I can count a lot of my comic book obsession coming not from the actual comics (I didn't read most of the "Classic" stuff until 1999 or so when I got to Edmonton and found some major comic book stores and some money of my own). And in tribute to these awesome cards, I shall endeavor to build a whole swack of characters from the sets- the guys I've never built before, which is actually a more sizeable list than I expected.

Builds to do:
Zodiak
Zarrko the Tomorrow Man
The Slug
Shiva
Terror, Inc.
The Darkhold team
Dracula
Hardcore
Moses Magnum
The Mad Thinker & Awesome Android
Diablo
Cyber
Sleepwalker
Ghost Rider
Johnny Blaze
The Nightstalkers
Bloodseed
Dark Angel
Wild Thing
Cobweb
Hardcase
Hellstorm
Micromax
Lilith
Proctor
Occulus
Siege
The Wild Pack
Deadzone
Basilisk
Shock
Baron Mordo
Nick Fury
Baron Strucker

Other guys who aren't in the cards, but I've wanted to build for a while:
Bloodscream and whoever his partner was (I'll look it up later)
Count Nefaria
Albert & Elsie-Dee (recurring characters from that era's Wolverine)
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Jab's Builds: Gladiator, Amatsu-Mikaboshi, Seekers, Mist

Postby Jabroniville » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:38 am

DEADZONE (John DeZoan)
Created By:
Terry Kavanagh & James Fry III
First Appearance: Moon Knight #47 (Jan. 1993)
Role: Forgotten '90s Villain
PL 9 (126)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 6 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Athletics 5 (+8)
Expertise (Criminal) 4 (+5)
Intimidation 6 (+7)
Perception 3 (+5)
Technology 2 (+3)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Agile Feint, Improved Critical (Truncheon), Improved Initiative 2, Ranged Attack 5, Startle, Weapon Bind

Powers:
"Adamantium Truncheon" (Flaws: Easily Removable) (Features: Unbreakable) [5]
"Whip" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Reach 3) (5) -- (6 points)
    AE: "Thrown Weapon" Strength-Damage +2 (Extras: Ranged 5) (Flaws: Non-Returnable- Must Go Get It) (5)
"Pain Is No Longer An Enemy"
Impervious Toughness 3 [3]
Immunity 3 (Pain Effects, Sedatives) [3]

"Overloading Electrical Field" Damage 9 (Fortitude Save +0) (Inaccurate -1) [8]
Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Split, Takedown 2, Reach 3) (Extras: Fortitude Save +0) (Flaws: Removable- Requires Truncheon) [4]
Speed 2 (8 mph) [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Truncheon +11 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Thrown Truncheon +9 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Electrical Field +9 (+9 Fortitude Damage, DC 24)
Field With Truncheon +11 (+7 Fortitude Damage, DC 24)
Initiative +6 (+14 Telepathic)

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +6 (+2 Impervious), Fortitude +7, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Killing)- Deadzone is a serial killer, and gets off on pain and suffering.

Total: Abilities: 64 / Skills: 22--11 / Advantages: 12 / Powers: 27 / Defenses: 12 (126)

-Deadzone is a typical '90s super-villain, a convicted serial killer sentenced to die, only to be resurrected when a power-outage (caused by Moon Knight) mixed with the sedatives in his bloodstream to turn him into an electrical-powered guy. He stole one of Moon Knight's whips as a major weapon and then underwent the usual "New Villain Push", beating the hell out of Marc Spectre several times until Moonie finally got one over on him. He hasn't been seen since- Moon Knight did not have a particularly-good run in the '90s, and was mostly forgotten, as was this newbie '90s villain of his.

-Though he only showed up a few times, he was no laughing matter- HANDILY defeating Moon Knight a few times before he learned from his mistakes and put on an insulated uniform. His electrical powers have made him stronger, faster and more dangerous than most, and his Overloading thing has the unique effect of affecting his enemies' pain and pleasure centres, essentially overloading them to death. I went with a Fortitude Damage thing (+0 Extra, since I can think of very few characters whose Fortitude is lower than their Toughness) since it's almost more of a descriptor for how people die. He has a unique trick in that his Truncheon allows him many more Power Feats, which are effectively all under one "Limited" boost to his base powers.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Jab's Builds: Mikaboshi, The Seekers, Mister X, Marvel Cards

Postby saint_matthew » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:57 am

Oh, i remember comic book trading cards... Those came out in the good old days before companies tried to introduce false scarcity by restricting popular cards & charging 15 bucks a pack of 20. An then crash commercialisation & aging fanboys ruined it for kids.

Ah the 1990's, i'm so happy you are over. :lol:
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov
saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Re: Jab's Builds: Mikaboshi, The Seekers, Mister X, Marvel Cards

Postby BlindPugh » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:22 am

Loving that list of upcoming guys, especially Terror & post Ghost Rider Blaze.

I think Bloodscream's partner was called Roughouse but I could well be wrong.
When realities collide- Quicksilver With thanks to Tatooedman.
Shadow war- Bill Sakowski
Toronto's greatest heroes- Green Ronin
BlindPugh
Compatriot
Compatriot

Re: Jab's Builds: Mikaboshi, The Seekers, Mister X, Marvel C

Postby Jabroniville » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:16 pm

DRACULA (Vlad Tepes Dracula)
Created By:
Gerry Conway & Gene Colan
First Appearance: Tomb of Dracula #1 (April 1972)
Role: Mega-Villain, Master Manipulator
Group Affiliations: The Legion of Unliving, Vampires Everywhere
PL 13 (296)
STRENGTH
11 STAMINA -- AGILITY 6
FIGHTING 12 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 6 PRESENCE 6

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+12)
Deception 8 (+14)
Expertise (History) 5 (+9)
Expertise (Nobleman King) 5 (+9)
Expertise (Medieval General) 6 (+10)
Insight 6 (+12)
Intimidation 8 (+14)
Investigation 2 (+8)
Perception 8 (+14)
Persuasion 6 (+12)
Sleight of Hand 2 (+6)
Stealth 8 (+14)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Benefit 4 (Wealth), Chokehold, Daze (Intimidation), Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab, Fearless, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Grab, Improved Initiative 2, Improved Hold, Languages (Various), Power Attack, Precise Attack (Close/Concealment), Ranged Attack 3, Startle, Takedown, Taunt, Trance, Well-Informed

Powers:
"Super-Strong Vampire"
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
Protection 10 [10]
Impervious Toughness 14 (Flaws: Not versus Wood, Fire, Silver or Holy Weapons) [7]
Regeneration 10 (Feats: Regrow Limbs) (Flaws: Source- Blood) [6]
Immortality 4 (Flaws: Not if Staked, Beheaded or Dealt With in Mystical Ways) [4]
Speed 5 (60 mph) [5]
Senses (Low-Light Vision, Acute Scent) [2]

"Mesmerism" Mind Control 12 (48) -- [53]
    AE: "Command Vermin" Mind Control 4 (Extras: Area- 250ft. Burst +4, Sustained +2) (Flaws: Touch Range -2, Limited to Animals, Limited to Rodents, Bats & Wolves) (24)
    AE: "Control Those Bitten" Mind Control 14 (Extras: Progressive +2) (Flaws: Touch Range -2, Grab-Based, Limited to Those Bitten) (28)
    AE: "Hypnosis" Mind Control 13 (Extras: Area- Visual Perception) (Flaws: Touch Range -2) (39)
    AE: Shapeshift 4 (Flaws: Limited to Wolves, Bats, Mist) (28)
    AE: "Weather Control" Environment 8 (Visibility) (8)
"The Vampire's Bite" Strength-Damage +1 Linked to Weaken Stamina 12 (Flaws: Grab-Based, Limited to 1 Rank Per Round) Linked to Affliction 12 (Fort; Entranced/Compelled/Transformed to Vampire) (Extras: Cumulative) (Flaws: Grab-Based) [16]

Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+11 Damage, DC 26)
Vampire's Bite +12 (+12 Damage, Weaken & Affliction, DC 27, 22 & 22)
Mesmerism -- (+12 Perception-Ranged Affliction, DC 22)
Control the Bitten +12 (+14 Affliction, DC 24)
Hypnosis +13 Area (+13 Affliction, DC 23)
Initiative +14

Defenses:
Dodge +13 (DC 23), Parry +13 (DC 23), Toughness +10 (+7 Impervious), Fortitude --, Will +13

Complications:
Motivation (Power)
Enemy (The Van Helsings & Harkers)- The families of Abraham van Helsing & Jonathan Harker still hunt Dracula through the ages, ever since the 19th Century. Rachel van Helsing currently hunts him.
Enemy (Frank Drake, Doctor Strange, Cagliostro & Solomon Kane)- In modern times, Dracula has other such enemies.
Prejudice (Muslims)- His Transylvanian homeland invaded by Turks numerous times, Vlad Dracula still has a great deal of hate for the believers of the teachings of Muhammed.
Weakness (Garlic, Sunlight)- Both are anathema to vampires, and will cause horrible pain. Direct sunlight will kill a vampire of any power level.
Weakness (Holy Symbols)- Witnessing or touching a Holy Symbol is painful to vampires, but only if the wearer belives. Wolverine wielding a cross caused Dracula no pain, but Nightcrawler definitely did. Kitty Pryde's Star of David also burned his had when he grabbed her.
Weakness (Lack of Blood, Home Soil)- Though Immune to Fortitude Effects, Dracula can effectively starve to death if deprived of blood- he is even addicted to the substance. Dracula must also spend some amount of time in contact with his native soil.
Quirk (No Reflection)- Vampires do not cast reflections in any mirrored surface.

Total: Abilities: 88 / Skills: 68--34 / Advantages: 26 / Powers: 133 / Defenses: 15 (296)

-Dracula was added to the Marvel Universe as sort of the crown jewel of their new "Horror" line, which came about as a result of the Comics Code (which was forged in the 1950s to prevent comics from destroying young boys' minds with sexiness, blood and homosexuality) loosening it's rules over the use of horror creatures like Werewolves, Vampires and Zombies in stories. This is why Werewolf By Night, Man-Wolf, Dracula, Blade and Zombie all came out at approximately the same time. "Tomb of Dracula" was Gerry Conway & Gene Colan's baby, as both loved the whole gothic concept, and it was apparently a pretty good series. Me, I've never really been into the whole Horror genre (way too simplistic and derivative most of the time... and I read COMICS, so keep that in mind), so I never read it.

-After "Tomb of Dracula" ended, 99% of it's cast vanished into Marvel Limbo- there was really nothing for them to do, especially once the Horror Craze died out in comics. Dracula himself has made a few rare appearances over time (it's still funny how a book was titled after it's main villain) fighting more mainstream superheroes than Harkers and Van Helsings (The X-Men, Doctor Strange, Captain Britain). He's generally given as very powerful and a great manipulator, but he never quite maintained the legs or the badass aura of the Doctor Dooms of the comic book world.

-Dracula is a powerful PL 13 character, enough to challenge and defeat almost any hero, turning some of them into Vampires (Storm almost got caught with this once- she became Bloodstorm in the "Mutant X" Universe because of it), mesmerizing others, etc. He's PRICEY too, having a ton of Skills, Advantages and Powers- this combines to make him one of the most dangerous villains on Marvel Earth.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:18 am, edited 4 times in total.
Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Jab's Builds: The Seekers, Mister X, Marvel Cards, Dracula

Postby Skavenger » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:04 pm

Huh. The only Wild Thing I know of is Wolverine's daughter from the Spider-Girl universe. I'm going to assume it's not her.

I'm looking forward to Nefaria. That was one of the things that's disappointed me about Bendis' writing, how a guy that the Avengers simply could not defeat without either Thor or a dues ex machina device showing up can then be dropped by Wolverine and Ms. Marvel. It's like he wants to bring up minor villains and heroes and make the big league ones weak.
Skavenger
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Earth-Two_Kenn » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:29 pm

I always get the Awesome Android and the Radical Robot mixed up.
Over eleven hundred DCA/M&M Character builds at http://www.rcuhero.net
Earth-Two_Kenn
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby FuzzyBoots » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:01 am

My primary exposure to superhero cards was via one of my friends, who had mixed Marvel and DC cards, making me very confused about who belonged to which continuity. There was a guy in a yellow uniform who was shown spraying things with yellow paint. I remember it as him being a Green Lantern opponent (with his yellow paint, he essentially denied large parts of the environment to the ring's powers), but in retrospect, he was probably Goldbug, a Marvel villain who used various gold-themed weaponry, including spraying "liquid gold" on people to immobilize them.
FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Earth-Two_Kenn » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:41 am

FuzzyBoots wrote:There was a guy in a yellow uniform who was shown spraying things with yellow paint. I remember it as him being a Green Lantern opponent (with his yellow paint, he essentially denied large parts of the environment to the ring's powers), but in retrospect, he was probably Goldbug, a Marvel villain who used various gold-themed weaponry, including spraying "liquid gold" on people to immobilize them.

It may have been Goldface, who was a Green Lantern villain.
Over eleven hundred DCA/M&M Character builds at http://www.rcuhero.net
Earth-Two_Kenn
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby BlindPugh » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:44 am

Always great to see Dracula, he's in my top 10 Marvel characters. I think you're doing yourself a disservice not at least trying an issue of Tomb of Dracula, it was for my money some of the best written stuff of that time. It's the start of my love for the man himself, of course appearances like he had in Uncanny X-men & Captain Britain & MI13 certainly helped.

Glad to see him at an appropriate power level too, Drac's a teamwrecker unless you play to his weaknesses.
When realities collide- Quicksilver With thanks to Tatooedman.
Shadow war- Bill Sakowski
Toronto's greatest heroes- Green Ronin
BlindPugh
Compatriot
Compatriot

PreviousNext

Return to Roll Call