Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

Taliesin's 3E Builds: Moonstone, Binary, Rulk, Wasp, Shang

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.

Re: Taliesin's 3E Builds: Moonstone, Binary, Rulk, Wasp, Shang

Postby Samson » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:08 am

Love Tali's builds. 8)

Awhile back, someone was beginning to transcribe all of Tali's 3e Marvel stats in a similar format as the DC pages so a PDF of the compilation printed out would look real cool and it would have been a smooth looking unofficial Marvel heroes and villians guide. Thing is that stopped and doesn't look like it will start up again. I wish I was comp savvy enough to do it...that period of time when Tali was busy with life stuff and we had no updates for awhile would have been a prime time to nail down several of his builds down in that format.
"This is me, yo, right here." - Wallace, The Wire: Episode 12

Samson
Zealot
Zealot

Postby gdeptula » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:06 am

A bit off topic, but I have a quick question. I'm making a gadget-based character and I'm not quite sure how to stat an EMP device. I'm thinking Nullify 1; affects objects only and considering objects have no will save, it should work all the time. It just seems too..easy?
gdeptula
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Narsil » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:56 am

I'd usually just make that an opposed power check. The attacking side rolls and adds nullify rank, the resisting side rolls and adds the rank of whatever effect is in use. If there are multiple effects in use, and the nullify has the simultaneous extra, I'd roll each of the powers individually.

Certain powers would retain their function better than others; a flight, strength enhancing or damaging effect wouldn't be as easily-affected as, say, a targeting computer which adds a bunch of advantages or skills, or a communications system. Due to the way devices work, I'd treat the devices as continuously nullified until there is an opportunity to repair them, just counting that as a part of the descriptor.
Narsil 2e
Narsil 3e

'Oil, an emergency? About time the people who run this planet of yours realize that to be dependent upon a mineral slime just doesn't make sense.'
-The Fourth Doctor, Terror of the Zygons
Narsil
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Warpath » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:05 pm

I'm guessing little Talli is taking it out of you eh ;-) By the by, I know you love the Marvels and DC...BUT, do you favor one universe over another? And, any thoughts on that James Bond request? (Oh, and to answer the DC/Marvel thing for myself...DC has the icons, that's true [Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman], but, that said, Marvel has just about everything else...relateable characters, a fluid universe, and fairly consistant history [Brand New Day being the only real crime in that history]...so it's Marvel for me.)
Warpath
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Taliesin » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:17 am

gdeptula wrote:A bit off topic, but I have a quick question. I'm making a gadget-based character and I'm not quite sure how to stat an EMP device. I'm thinking Nullify 1; affects objects only and considering objects have no will save, it should work all the time. It just seems too..easy?

As Narsil said, you'd generally have to do a power check against the effects rather than the objects themselves. The alternative is to use Weaken.
Taliesin
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Taliesin » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:24 am

Warpath wrote:I'm guessing little Talli is taking it out of you eh ;-) By the by, I know you love the Marvels and DC...BUT, do you favor one universe over another? And, any thoughts on that James Bond request? (Oh, and to answer the DC/Marvel thing for myself...DC has the icons, that's true [Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman], but, that said, Marvel has just about everything else...relateable characters, a fluid universe, and fairly consistant history [Brand New Day being the only real crime in that history]...so it's Marvel for me.)

I had no idea how little leisure time is left over after the kid takes his share. Way behind on everything outside of work.

I haven't had a chance to do cinematic characters, of which I did tackle a few in 2E. Just not enough time to think about them.

As for comics, prior to the new 52, I tended to read more DC comics, just because the stories at the time happened to interest me more. I used to read each publisher nearly equally but for whatever reason found DC stories more interesting and memorable, so I guess I prefer DC. That being said, haven't read anything from the new 52 save for a few issues of Batman.
Taliesin
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby rickjthree » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:32 am

Taliesin wrote:I had no idea how little leisure time is left over after the kid takes his share. Way behind on everything outside of work.

Quoted for truth. However, there will come a day when you have more free time - at which point you'll wonder why the kiddo doesn't want to play with you as much.

Annnnnnd.... the cat's in the cradle and the silver spoon...
rickjthree
Groupie
Groupie

Postby v-bar1 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:47 am

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/102398444/marv ... %203rd.pdf
All of the marvel stuff copied and pasted and made into a word pdf
Cheers Taliesin u are the man for all the hard work your done bringing these marvel characters to 3rd and 2nd Ed
8)
v-bar1
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Thorpacolypse » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:48 pm

rickjthree wrote:
Taliesin wrote:I had no idea how little leisure time is left over after the kid takes his share. Way behind on everything outside of work.

Quoted for truth. However, there will come a day when you have more free time - at which point you'll wonder why the kiddo doesn't want to play with you as much.

Ain't that the truth. Having a little one is exhausting, but parenting is a lot easier overall when you can solve 90% of their problems with a bottle, a fresh diaper or a daddy kiss. Although technically, mommy kisses contain more healing power, probably somewhere around 5 ranks. :wink:

I like most of the New 52 stuff, but the same books that were great before the reboot are still great, and they are still struggling to establish more A-list characters outside of the Big 5 (gotta include Flash and GL in with The Trinity) and Superman is still uneven.
Shop J-Mart!

Service with a smilie! :)
Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Location: Bloomington, IL (Summer home in the dark recesses of the human psyche...)

Postby JetstreamGW » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:25 pm

rickjthree wrote:

Errr, that song's about a workaholic who never made the time for his child...
JetstreamGW
Daredevil
Daredevil

Postby Warpath » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:17 pm

Hi Taliesin, the Avengers movie has been released on dvd/blue ray. how about in celebration, you cook up stats for one hero and one villian from the Avengers franchise...say, Black Widow and Graviton..or Immortus (whom I view as a different persona/character than his earlier incarnation of Kang. Kang is a warlord on a grand scale. Immortus is more akin to Galactus or the Time Trapper, where while thier actions seem villianous and cold, they actually serve a greater purpose..even if it's monsterous). What say you? (oh, and James Bond turns 50 this year...just saying ;-)
Warpath
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Batgirl III » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:48 pm

I like the way you just tucked Shang Chi's missile deflection into an Immunity, but I gotta ask, why not just use Deflection? In getting back into the game, it seems that 3e's Deflection is just as disliked as it was in M&M2e -- not even the official Wonder Woman stat sheet has it! And I'm hard pressed to think of a more iconic example of Deflection that Diana's bulletproof bracelets.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Batgirl III
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Woodclaw » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:40 pm

Batgirl III wrote:I like the way you just tucked Shang Chi's missile deflection into an Immunity, but I gotta ask, why not just use Deflection? In getting back into the game, it seems that 3e's Deflection is just as disliked as it was in M&M2e -- not even the official Wonder Woman stat sheet has it! And I'm hard pressed to think of a more iconic example of Deflection that Diana's bulletproof bracelets.

Well BG, in 3E Deflection is a ranged effect by default and generally it's not used or loved as far as I can tell.
"Yes, it's a bloody flying alligator setting fire to my city!"

Sam Vimes (Guards! Guards!)

From a dark corner of my mind (my build's thread)
From another dark corner of my mind (my Deviantart page)
Woodclaw
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Taliesin » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:06 pm

Hey everyone. Still busy as heck. Would you believe that I took the week off? Most of the time was to spend time with my wife and kid, so almost no time for anything else.

Batgirl: 2E Deflect and 3E Deflect are very different beasts. As Woodclaw noted, 3E Deflect is Ranged, but more than that, buying it down to Close range would just make it the Block action, which everyone has anyway. So it's really just a Ranged Block.

In my opinion, catching arrows and bullets can really just be a SFx of even Dodge defense. You don't need a separate mechanic for that. The reason I even spelled it out for Shang Chi is so I could tack on Extras to it.
Taliesin
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby zdude » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:09 pm

Thank you.

You are an invaluable resource for me starting out as a new Mutants and Masterminds 3E player.

:)

Your Shadowcat build is perfect.
zdude
Bystander
Bystander

PreviousNext

Return to Roll Call