Xarathos' Builds: Mass Effect Templates: Infiltrator (PL 8)

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.
ScourgeXLVII
Disciple
Disciple

Re: Xarathos' Builds: Rogue's Gallery: Green Goblin (PL 11)

Postby ScourgeXLVII » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:27 pm

Argh... I really dislike Dark Reign, for a number of reasons, but one of the biggest being: YOU PUT THE GREEN GOBLIN IN AN IRON MAN SUIT, TRICKED OUT LIKE CAPTAIN AMERICA! HOW DO YOU SCREW THAT UP!?!?!?!

Apart from that, I like the build, but something is gnawing at me: I always felt that Gobby was supposed to be at least as strong or stronger than Spidey, but the way you have it puts him significantly weaker, physically, compared to Spidey. Also, I like the complications, for two reasons. The first, being that they fit his character well, and the second is that it makes Gloating give him an extra villain point, which I think is definitely a characteristic he deserves.
"You know youre too old for Superhero cartoons when you start considering the thousands of dollars of damage caused in the pursuit of a jewelry thief, who stole a couple hundred dollars in jewelry, which was probably insured anyway"
-My roommate

Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Postby Xarathos » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:40 pm

You know, actually, in my mind, Norman Osborn IS a power hungry mastermind - the problem is, he's also insane. He's treating it chemically now, but his insanity is an inevitable part of his character and always has been. He's capable of being extremely calculating, wanting to build power, his own legacy . . . but then, his insanity kicks in. His obsession with Spider-man takes over, and he just can't help himself, and it fouls him up.

Iron Patriot was the low point of Dark Reign for me, too. It did a good job of showcasing the megalomaniac side of the goblin, but we all knew he was going to go crazy by the end, and go crazy HARD, and the event, like the Civil War, lasted far too long.

To answer your question about the strength level, I went with the description given from the online Marvel database, which says that Spider-man can lift 10 tons, while the Goblin can lift about 9. Raw strength isn't what puts Norman over the edge with Spider-man, it's the toys. His diabolically insane and inventive mind making up for the one thing that separates them, albeit not by much - that, and he fights dirty.

It's not unlike the Joker/Batman dynamic, in that sense. Joker would be dead in a standup fight with the Batman on strength and skill alone, which is why he does his utmost to never, EVER have a fair fight.

EDIT: In this instance, "Fights Dirty" means things like, say, calling the goblin glider with its front spikes out to hit your foe rather than take him in a fair fight (Villain Point spent - and backfired). Or for that matter, taking advantage of Rage and Sneak Attack. Possibly simultaneously.

Glad you like the complications - I was grinning the whole time I worked them out. ^^

Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Postby Xarathos » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:43 pm

I'm starting to think that Dormammu might be biting off a bit more than I can chew, actually, and that he operates on a scale a bit closer to PLX than I was originally considering. I might switch him off the list for another Strange villain (Baron Mordo? Unless anyone has any other suggestions).

Mostly this is just to let everyone know that I'm still alive and haven't forgotten this thread. Venom is in the works, so stay tuned - I should have him finished and posted sometime tomorrow, unless something comes up.

Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Re: Rogue's Gallery: Venom (PL 11)

Postby Xarathos » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:36 pm

Slightly earlier than originally promised, as long as we're dealing in ravening, vengeful madmen, let's have a warm welcome (using fire, if need be) for Eddie Brock!

Venom
"Ssssssssspider. . . We will show you Our hatred. . ."

PL 11, 249 pp
-2Atk/+2DC Melee, -3Def/+3Tgh

Abilities: 36 pp

Strength: 18/32 (+4/+11)
Dexterity: 14/8 (+2/+4)
Constitution: 20/30 (+5/+10)
Wisdom: 12 (+1)
Intelligence: 14 (+2)
Charisma: 18 (+4)

Offense: 19 pp
Attack 9 (Thrown 10, Melee 9, Webbing 10)

Defense: 25 pp
Defense 4, (19 (12 flat footed))
Toughness: 14 (10 Flat Footed, 6 Impervious)
Fortitude: 10 + 4 = 14
Reflex: 4 + 4 = 8
Will: 1 + 9 = 10

Skills: 10 pp
Profession (Photographer) 2, Profession (Journalist) 2, Knowledge (Theology and Philosophy) 2, Climb 6, Swim 4, Acrobatics 8, Bluff 8, Intimidate 8,

Feats/Advantages: 24 pp
Benefit (Immune to Spider-Sense), Power Attack, All Out Attack, Stunning Attack, Quickchange 2, Rage, Fearless, Fearsome Presence 4, Improved Block, Improved Grab, Improved Trip, Improved Throw, Uncanny Dodge (Danger Sense), Dodge Focus 5, Attack Focus (Ranged) 1, Defensive Roll 4,

Powers: 135 pp

Spider-bonded Alien Symbiote: 52 pp
Enhanced Strength 12, Super Strength 4 (AP: Leaping 4), Enhanced Dexterity 4, Enhanced Constitution 10, Speed 2, (Linked to swinging), Impervious Toughness 6, Regeneration (Recovery Bonus 4), Enhanced Feat: Rage, Feature: AI (Symbiote has its own malevolent personality and intelligence which is usually merged with Brock's). Danger Sense, Wall-Climbing

Substitute Clothing: Enhanced Feat (Quickchange 2): 2 pp
AP: Blending: Concealment 2 (Normal Sight) (Flawed: Passive, Blending) (1/2 ranks): 1 pp

Organic Webbing: 74 pp
- Organic webbing: Move Object 10 (web line; Damaging); 30 pp
- Fighting dirty: Dazzle 10 (visual, opaque web); 20 pp
- Step into my web, little Spider: Snare 10 (PF: Split Attack, Tether); 22 pp
- I can go anywhere you can, little Spider: Super-Movement 1 (swinging, web line); 2 pp

Symbiote Claws: Strike 2 (Mighty), Extended Reach 1, Vampiric 2: 6 pp

Complications:

Obsession/Hatred: Spider-man, Peter Parker. Eddie Brock hates him for ruining his career, while the symbiote feels spurned and vengeful for its own reasons. . . Both are agreed that defeating and ruining Spider-man is a goal to be pursued even to the detriment of any other scheme.

Love/Hate Relationship (Symbiote): Spider-man, Peter Parker. The symbiote, on some level, desires above all else to return to its former host, a fact that Spider-man has been able to exploit on several occasions.

Compound Personality: Venom typically thinks of itself as a 'we', composed of both Brock and the Symbiote. They don't always agree on everything, and sometimes one or the other will assert dominance.

Adrenaline Junkie: The symbiote is fueled by adrenaline and the strength of its host. This requires Eddie Brock to engage in dangerous and adrenaline intensive acts in order to sustain the symbiote; part of this is the importance of his daily workout routine. If Brock fails to work out, the symbiote will progressively weaken.

Fearmonger: Venom is a sadistic monster, and will occasionally waste otherwise valuable time in combat for intimidate checks, which has been known to backfire, but boosts his ego - worth a Villain Point.

Web supply: Venom's organic webbing is actually produced from the substance of the symbiote, and it can be severely weakened if it is forced to expend too much of it. Admittedly, this doesn't happen often, and the supply is effectively inexhaustible. . .

Weakness: Sonics and flames have a heightened effect on the symbiote, and it will flee from them in fear of destruction, or of being driven from its host (unlikely, but possible).

Personal Code: Venom has a strict policy of avoiding harming the innocent. What exactly qualifies you as 'innocent' is up for debate, but generally he won't harm children or bystanders like Mary Jane. This compulsion actually drove him to operate as a superhero in San Francisco for a time.

Total: Abilities 36 + Offense 19 + Defense 25 + Skills 10 + Feats/Advantages 24 + Powers 135 = 249 pp

Notes:

:arrow: Regardless of Marvel's sound reasoning for retiring Eddie Brock and giving him a chance at redemption (and I'm all for the reformed villain thing working), he's the iconic Venom in my mind. Mac Gargan will always be the Scorpion for me, and Brock will always be Venom. Still, Anti-Venom is. . . interesting. Especially with his misguided attempt to 'cure' Spider-man of his radiation infused blood!

:arrow: Where Osborn is something of a cross between Lex Luthor and the Joker, Venom is something between Killer Croc and Harvey Dent. A fearsome monster with multiple sides who knows our web-headed hero's secret identity, has a connection with both Spider-man AND Peter Parker, and just might eat someone's face. Literally. Probably a lot more in common with Croc than with Dent, but you get the idea. He very rarely does subtle.

:arrow: Like most of Spider-man's villains who have learned his secret over the years, Venom has his reasons for keeping the secret to himself. Most of them come down to ego and a lack of genre savvy. He has, of course, used his knowledge to target the hero's loved ones on several occasions, but he doesn't try it as often as one would think.

:arrow: Venom is a pretty straightforward combatant, all things considered, but he's got a few tricks. For starters, he's completely immune and invisible to Peter's Spider-sense (in addition to the listed "Benefit" for Brock, this may be considered a complication for Peter at the GM's discretion). He has the ability to blend into the background and strike without warning, and otherwise is a bit of a mirror to Peter's abilities: they're very similar, in that they have complementary power sets. In social situations, he tends to bank on his high bluff score and intimidate.

:arrow: Fearsome Presence is a common thing for Spidey's foes; not unlike Batman's, they're scary as hell!

:arrow: EDIT: Tweaked the complications slightly in response to JoshuaDunlow's post.
Last edited by Xarathos on Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Xarathos' Builds: Rogue's Gallery: Kingpin or Bullseye?

Postby Xarathos » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:41 am

Ok, so Spidey's biggest icons finished (for now), I'm on to the iconic Daredevil foes. I'm going to put this to a vote.

Kingpin. . .

. . . or Bullseye?

JoshuaDunlow
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Xarathos' Builds: Rogue's Gallery: Kingpin or Bullseye?

Postby JoshuaDunlow » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:20 am

Xarathos wrote:Ok, so Spidey's biggest icons finished (for now), I'm on to the iconic Daredevil foes. I'm going to put this to a vote.

Kingpin. . .

. . . or Bullseye?

Kingpin.. definetly.
Btw on the Venom build, the symbiote absorbs a persons strength (Adrenaline), to stay alive. I noticed you didn't address this in your build, nothing wrong with that mind you, this is still an awesome build.

But this is why Eddie constantly worked out. You could simulate this with a cumulative -1 drain on strength and superstrength, if he doesn't work out every day.

Weakness [Moderate/Very Common, Progression 3 (per day)] = 1pp

Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Re: Xarathos' Builds: Rogue's Gallery: Venom (PL 11)

Postby Xarathos » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:38 am

Hmm. . . I guess that's sort of covered by the Adrenaline Junkie complication, but I don't think I described it quite right. I'll fix it. That's actually also one of the reasons I made his strike vampiric. That, and the fact that in pretty much any game with Venom in it ever, Venom has wound up draining the health of civilians (and crooks, who oddly provide LESS health) in order to sustain itself. . . even though he has a strict "no innocents" policy in the original comics.

Which, it occurs to me, is probably deserving of its own complication.

JoshuaDunlow
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby JoshuaDunlow » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:43 am

Ah, my bad

Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Postby Xarathos » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:45 am

Naw, no need to backtrack - I wasn't clear enough in the original post as to how that aspect of things worked. Hopefully it's better now. :)

I'm trying to avoid using Drawbacks as point granting anymore, which is why I've been putting a lot more thought into the complications on my builds than I used to - I figured it's good practice for 3E.

Thanks for the feedback!

JoshuaDunlow
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby JoshuaDunlow » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:54 am

Xarathos wrote:Naw, no need to backtrack - I wasn't clear enough in the original post as to how that aspect of things worked. Hopefully it's better now. :)

I'm trying to avoid using Drawbacks as point granting anymore, which is why I've been putting a lot more thought into the complications on my builds than I used to - I figured it's good practice for 3E.

Thanks for the feedback!

Well i guess we shall see, when the 3E comes out. It will be weird , which means certains aspects are going to become mechanical in a powers frame work i suppose. What i propose is showing a mechanical risk that brock must take to maintain his efficiency. I wasn't aware that his attacks were vampiric, but it works in simulating the adrenaline drain.

Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Postby Xarathos » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:08 am

I dunno, I've just been using the Green Lantern build as a rough guideline to the kinds of things complications will be able to do; their example has his powers limited to a rank no higher than his Will score, so if it ever is drained, so is the power - and if that ever happens, he earns a hero point. It's less mechanical, in a way, and puts enforcement into the hands of the player and GM - if it's not going to come up, it's not going to come up, and instead of the player getting free points back that never penalize him he just doesn't earn hero points for the complication. As an added bonus, it gives even more incentive to pick complications that might actually get invoked (Like vulnerabilities to fire, fear of spiders, or what have you.)

I guess in my head it's less that the attack is vampiric and more that the symbiote works to heal its host using the adrenaline it absorbs during the battle - but mechanically, the vampiric extra is the closest thing to the kind of regeneration I wanted to give him. Loosely translated, if he wants healing, the fastest way is (ironically) to get into a fight. Otherwise, he's not healing any faster than normal.

But yeah, if I WERE using the videogame as a standard (which I'm trying to avoid) then I'd have to give him some kind of vampiric, grapple only attack. Which would be weird, and not easy to explain, even to me. Marvel games are. . . confusing. . . but fun.

Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Xarathos' Builds: Update in Progress

Postby Xarathos » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:55 pm

Terribly sorry that I haven't updated in awhile; "Real Life" has been getting in the way for a bit. I STILL haven't managed to get a game together with anyone locally, and job hunting has been taking up a good deal of effort. . .

That said, I broke down over the announcement that the DCA Hero's Handbook PDF was available, and forked over the cash to GR so I could get a look at it before my pre-order arrives from Amazon sometime in the next couple of months. It was worth the wait, let me tell you.

I'm taking a look back over my Marvel 'Icons' with an eye toward starting the conversion process, and my friend and I may actually be starting a solo game using the new rule set; more updates on that as they happen.

The point is, I'm not gone, I'm still here, lurking, and new builds will be on the way when I figure out where the aliens put my brain after they were done using it. ^^

Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Re: Xarathos' Builds: 3E Captain America

Postby Xarathos » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:25 pm

Well, now, I've started taking stock of the updates to the rules, and I've come to the conclusion that my Captain America build is . . . well, not quite right. I'm not sure how it holds up in 2E, but based on how I read the 3E tables and how he compares with Batman (my biggest concern) it's not quite right. With 3E finally upon us, it's time to do a cleaner version for the new edition.

So! A new build is upon us! Give a warm welcome once again to:

Captain America

"I've been around a few years. Surely you must have heard of me."

PL 12; 260 pp

Abilities: 114

Strength: 5
Stamina: 6
Agility: 6
Dexterity: 7
Fighting: 14
Intellect: 7
Awareness: 6
Presence: 7

Defense: 16 pp
Dodge: 6 + 4 + 4 = 14
Fortitude: 6 + 8 = 14
Toughness: 6 + 4 (Defensive Roll; 6 when flat footed, 2 Impervious) : 10
Will: 6 + 4 = 10
Parry: 14 + 0 = 14

Skills: 52 pp
Acrobatics 9
Athletics 9
Technology 4
Persuasion 12
Vehicles 5
Intimidate 8
Expertise: [History] 4
Expertise: [Military] 16
Expertise: [Art] 4
Expertise: [Streetwise] 6
Treatment 4
Perception 4
Insight 9
Stealth 3
Expertise: [Survival] 7

Advantages: 55 pp
Agile Feint, Assessment, All-Out Attack, Power Attack, Defensive Attack, Improved Defense, Improved Initiative, Instant Up, Teamwork, Leadership, Inspire (3), Luck 2, Defensive Roll 4, Great Endurance, Set-Up, Redirect, Languages 3, Benefit 2: Captain America (Effective Military Rank + Fame), Equipment 5, Stunning Attack, Takedown Attack, Chokehold, Evasion, Quick Draw, Ranged Combat 7, Interpose, Attractive, Connected, Seize Initiative, Ultimate Effort: Toughness, Ultimate Effort: Defense, Improvised Tools, Move-by Action, Beginner's Luck, Contacts, Well Informed,

Powers: 23 pp

- Ranged Shield Training: 10 point array; 11 pp
- Add Selective and Blast (Cone) to Shield Slam: 10 pp
- AE: Add Ranged extra and Ricochet 5 to Shield Slam: 1 pp

- Star Spangled Shield: 10 pp traits, Easily Removable -4, Indestructible +2, 8 pp
    - Shield Slam: Strength Based Close Damage 5, Improved Critical; 6 pp
    - Enhanced Dodge 4; 4 pp

- Super-Soldier Serum: 5 pp
    - Regeneration 3; 3 pp
    - Immunity: Aging, Disease, Poison - Flawed: Half effect all: 2 pp

Equipment:
Captain America's Costume: Impervious Toughness 2, Subtle: 3 ep
22 Ep for mission specific equipment, usually including a comlink and some kind of vehicle.

Offense:
Close (Shield), 14, DC 10
Close (Unarmed), 14, DC 5
Ranged (Shield), 14, DC 10

Complications:
    Enemy: Red Skull, Baron Zemo, other anti-Americans.
    Patriotism: America
    Relationships: Sharon Carter (Romantic), Bucky (Former sidekick), Nick Fury, friendship with most of Earth's superhumans.

Total: Abilities 114 + Defense 16 + Skills 52 + Advantages 55 + Powers 23 = 260

Notes: I feel like I'm missing something, but I really don't know what it is. To me, this feels like Captain America. If there IS something missing, it's probably in his list of advantages; not enough forms of combat or something. If anyone sees anything obviously missing, please let me know. Otherwise . . .

Wow. What can really be said about Captain America that hasn't been said already? Heck, I've probably said most of it the last time I posted a build of him. He's loved by almost his entire universe, respected in a way that is closer to Superman than anything; respected by THOR, and probably one of the few mortals left who qualifies for the "if he be worthy" line written on Mjolner. He's the one guy everyone in the Marvel-verse looks up to, even the psychos like Frank Castle. And he forms the human part of the Marvel "Trinity", standing for the 'real world' across from DC's Batman. He's a founding Avenger, and a hero from WW2; he's punched Adolf Hitler, stood toe-to-toe with the Incredible Hulk on occasion . . .

In spite of everything Marvel's done, he's still one of my favorites. And I hope I've done him justice here.

Severance
Zealot
Zealot

Re: Xarathos' Builds: 3E Captain America!

Postby Severance » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:02 am

Digging your Spidey builds. If you're intending to do the Daredevil builds would it be possible to see Elektra from her first appearance (up till sai in the gut from Bullseye)?

Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Re: Xarathos' Builds: 3E Captain America!

Postby Xarathos » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:02 am

Welcome to the thread, Severance, and enjoy your stay. :) The Spidey builds are some of my favorites, yes - Ol' Webhead has been one of my favorites since I was a kid. I felt like I could identify with him, and that pretty much lasted until the end of One More Day . . . unfortunately, I can't really blame the company for it too much, based on the resulting increase in sales. I just don't like what was done to the character to get there.

Of course, in my continuity, One More Day is a bad fan-fic. :D

As for the Daredevil builds, I might be persuaded to take a stab at Electra a little later. I'd probably peg her for PL 9, as a fairly even match with Matt in that regard . . . the biggest question is which edition to do.

Maybe both . . . hmm. That could be interesting.

I'll think about it. :)

EDIT: The list, as it currently stands:

- Kingpin
    - Loki
    - A Dr. Strange Villain (but which one?)
    - Electra

I had a Kingpin build in the works, but real life was complaining so much that I never got around to finishing it. I'll probably go back to it before moving on . . . but then again, I might not. Fisk . . . doesn't motivate me very well. He's a longtime Daredevil foe who also takes shots at Spidey on a semi-regular basis, and the only real reason why he isn't just taken down is the resulting power vacuum; he's made himself indispensable.

Ok, that, and he's really, really big, has an infinite supply of minions and cohorts (including the Enforcers and often Bullseye), is apparently skilled in Sumo, and has a couple of weird devices as a last resort measure.

Eh. Ok, I talked myself into it; he's pretty cool. Maybe I'll feel more motivated to finish him in a few hours.

Return to “Roll Call”