Xarathos' Builds: Mass Effect Templates: Infiltrator (PL 8)

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.
JoshuaDunlow
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Xarathos' Builds: RvB: Caboose, 3E Possession, Church (PL 9)

Postby JoshuaDunlow » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:35 pm

Hey what ever you do is fine with me :) I just know that "strength" has always been a wobbly subject when it comes marvel heroes. And its mostly just a "guideline" This is what so-and-so can do, but in the comics the heroes often tend to be more potent. I think marvel set these cap's just for simplicity sake, even though they dont follow it themselves. The hulk and Thor, are perhaps the two biggest examples of Marvel's Ultimate Strength Monsters. Which i would put on par with Superman myself. Man.. now that i am thinking about it.. someone needs to a superman vs. hulk... That would be awesome. lol

Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Postby Xarathos » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:18 pm

You're right, it IS kind of wobbly, but it's what I prefer to go off of . . . except when I strongly disagree with where it tries to pigeonhole me, heh. As in the specific case of Spider-man . . . but that's a digression.

JoshuaDunlow wrote:Man.. now that i am thinking about it.. someone needs to a superman vs. hulk... That would be awesome. lol

They actually did; that was the matchup from DC Vs Marvel back in the 90s. Spoiler: Superman won. Not that it means all that much, considering that the results of the fights were determined by fan vote. . . and we all know that Superman is the most popular kid in the class. ;)

Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Postby Xarathos » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:55 pm

Build status report: Thor 3E is in progress. I was never completely happy with the way I'd done his powers in 2E, and I'm not sure if I'm going to cover all the same points or not, but I'm trying to produce a more . . . clean . . . solution, though it may cost a bit more.

Of course since I'm comparing it to 3E Superman, that's not a huge issue. :P

Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Re: Xarathos' Builds: Thor 3E (PL 15)

Postby Xarathos » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:31 pm

I've been putting this one off a long time. . .
The Mighty Thor

"Give your orders and ultimatums to those who choose to obey, or are too cowardly to fight, not to me. Or learn again the difference between a God of Thunder-- and a mortal man in a metal suit." --Thor #3, 2008

"Oh, yeah? Well my god has a hammer." --Nick Fury

PL 15
+4Tough/-4Def, +4DC/-4Atk Mjolner (Close)
Abilities 112 + Skills 32 + Advantages 34 + Defense 19 + Powers 89 = 286 pp

Abilities: 112 pp
Strength 16, Stamina 17, Agility 2, Dexterity 2
Fighting 11, Intellect 1, Awareness 3, Presence 4

Skills: 32 pp
Athletics 0 (+16), Persuasion 8 (+12), Intimidation 16 (+20), Expertise [Magic] 6 (+7), Expertise [History] 6, Perception 7 (+10), Insight 9 (+12), Expertise [Religion] 4 (+5), Treatment 8 (+9)

Advantages: 34 pp
Connected, Power Attack, All-Out Attack, Accurate Attack, Defensive Attack, Benefit 3 (Status: Founding Avenger, Odinson, Diplomatic Immunity), Fearless, Improved Initiative 2, Interpose, Startle, Takedown, Luck 4, Startle, Leadership, Teamwork, Fast Grab, Improved Grab, Ritualist, Ultimate Effort (Toughness), Extraordinary Effort, Seize Initiative, Ranged Combat 7

Offense:
Close +11, +16 Unarmed, +19 Mjolnir

Defense: 19 pp
Dodge 11, Parry 11, Toughness 19, Fortitude 17, Will: 13

Powers: 89 pp
Asgardian Physiology: Immunity 11 (Age, Life Support); Impervious Toughness 19, Super-Senses 6 (Extended Hearing 6): 36 pp

Mjolnir: 80 pp traits, Easily Removable -32, Indestructible +1, Restricted 2 ("If He Be Worthy"): 51 pp
    - Uru Hammer: Strength Based Damage 3 (Power Feats: Affects Insubstantial 2, Improved Critical 3); Strength Damage AE: Shockwave [Electricity]; Super- Movement 1 (Dimensional Travel to Asgard): Super Senses 1: Magical Awareness: 13 pp
    - Lord of Storms: 38 pp power array
    Ranged Damage 15 (Extras: Accurate x3, Improved Range 3—1400 foot range increment, Indirect 2 [Lightning]: 38 pp
    AE: Master of the Elements: Weather Control 12 (24pp—mix and match environments: Cold, Distraction (Precipitation), Hamper Movement (Icy or Wet Surfaces), Reduced Visibility (Rain)): 1 pp
    - Thrown Hammer:Ranged 19 Strength Based Damage 3 (Power Feats: Accurate, Affects Insubstantial 2, Improved Critical, Improved Range—75 foot range increment): 27 pp
    AE: Flight 12, Space Travel, Environmental Adaptation: Zero Gee: 1 pp
Asgardian Armor: 2 pp traits, Removable: 2 pp
    Protection 2: 2 pp

Complications:
    Alter-ego: Thor is bonded with the mortal, Dr. Donald Blake. In his identity as Blake, he loses access to all his powers and his physical abilities are reduced to Str 1, Sta 1. Mjolnir transforms into a wooden cane, which reverses the transformation when struck against the ground. They actually are separate entities, which becomes important occasionally.
    Power Loss: If Thor is separated from his Uru Hammer Mjolnir for 1 minute, he reverts back to Donald Blake.
    Responsibility: Avengers, ruler of Asgard
    Relationships: Avengers, many other heroes, Captain America, (Friends and allies), Loki (Brother, nemesis), Odin (Father; deceased), Baldur (Half Brother), Significant Other: Jane Foster (Donald Blake), Sif (Thor)

Notes:

. . . Okay, I thought he was impressive in 2e, but this . . .

I can't really say much about this. I'm just going to let the build speak for itself. I know it's not perfect, but this IS pretty much how I see Thor, and frankly, I'd LOVE to see him matched up against the book's version of Superman. I cut the "God Blast" and the earth manipulation elements from the core powers because they aren't "Iconic" - but they ARE appropriate power stunts.

I may add more notes later when it isn't so late. . . for now, though, I'm tired. Enjoy the build!
Last edited by Xarathos on Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Woodclaw
Luminary
Luminary

Re: Xarathos' Builds: Marvel Icons: 3E Thor (PL 15)

Postby Woodclaw » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:54 pm

Thor's authors are notorious for giving him at least one power up per story arc, whihc are usually eliminated at the end of the story as well bringing him back to square one, as a general rule I think that you nailed all the basics just right. My only doubt regards the Asgardian Physiology effect, I don't recall Thor Having any sort of Super-hearing or ability to see through illusions (one of Loki favored form of attack)
"Yes, it's a bloody flying alligator setting fire to my city!"

Sam Vimes (Guards! Guards!)

From a dark corner of my mind (my build's thread)
From another dark corner of my mind (my Deviantart page)

Murkglow
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Murkglow » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:57 pm

I always love Thor builds. No matter what they always seems so powerful and godly and I'm not sure what it is about them. I see Hulk builds or Superman builds and I can say "Yeah, looks strong" but with Thor I always say "Wow." Excellent Job as always. :wink:

Minor correction: Close Combat 1 needs to be removed. It puts you over PL on his attack. Don't change the point total however you had 35 advantages anyway, so removing this gets you to 34.

Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Postby Xarathos » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:05 am

Removed the rank of Close Combat, and went ahead and cut the Counters Illusion thing; you're right Woodclaw, he DOES seem prone to Loki's illusions. Asgardians do have significantly better hearing than the average mortal, though, at least if Volstagg's hyperbole on the subject can be remotely trusted. So I'm going to leave the boost to hearing. ;)

Glad you guys like it, though. :D

(And thanks again to Murkglow for picking nits. XD)

Murkglow wrote:I always love Thor builds. No matter what they always seems so powerful and godly and I'm not sure what it is about them. I see Hulk builds or Superman builds and I can say "Yeah, looks strong" but with Thor I always say "Wow." Excellent Job as always.

This is pretty much exactly how I feel about it, too. 8)

Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Re: Xarathos' Builds: 3E Captain America

Postby Xarathos » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:38 am

Captain America
"True heroism is moving into a battle zone thinking about your family at home."

PL 13

Abilities: 114

Strength: 5, Stamina: 6, Agility: 6, Dexterity: 7
Fighting: 14, Intellect: 7, Awareness: 6, Presence: 7

Defense: 22 pp
    Dodge: 6 + 8 + 2 = 16
    Fortitude: 6 + 8 = 14
    Toughness: 6 + 4 (Defensive Roll; 6 when flat footed, 7 Impervious) : 10
    Will: 6 + 6 = 12
    Parry: 14 + (2) = 16
Skills: 54 pp
Acrobatics 9, Athletics 9, Close Attack (Unarmed) 4 (+20), Technology 4, Persuasion 12, Vehicles 5, Intimidate 8, Expertise: [History] 4, Expertise: [Military] 16, Expertise: [Art] 4, Expertise: [Streetwise] 6, Treatment 4, Perception 4, Insight 9, Stealth 3, Expertise: [Survival] 7

Advantages: 60 pp
Agile Feint, Assessment, All-Out Attack, Challenge: Feint, Close Combat 4, Power Attack, Evasion, Defensive Attack, Improved Defense, Improved Initiative, Instant Up, Teamwork, Leadership, Inspire (3), Luck 2, Defensive Roll 4, Great Endurance, Set-Up, Redirect, Languages 3, Benefit 2: Captain America (Effective Military Rank + Fame), Equipment 5, Takedown Attack, Chokehold, Evasion, Quick Draw, Ranged Combat 7, Interpose, Attractive, Connected, Seize Initiative, Ultimate Effort: Toughness, Ultimate Effort: Defense, Improvised Tools, Move-by Action, Beginner's Luck, Contacts, Well Informed,

Powers: 26 pp

- Shieldslinger Training: 17 pp traits, Easily Removable -6; 11 pp
- Add Selective and Area (Cone) to Shield Slam: 16 pp
- AE: Add Ranged extra and Ricochet 5 to Shield Slam: 1 pp

- Star Spangled Shield: 15 pp traits, Easily Removable -6, Indestructible +2, 11 pp
    - Shield Slam: Strength Based Close Damage 3, Improved Critical 3; 6 pp
    - Enhanced Dodge 2; Enhanced Parry 2; 4 pp
    - Impervious Toughness 5

- Super-Soldier Serum: 4 pp
    - Regeneration 2; 2 pp
    - Immunity: Aging, Disease, Poison - Flawed: Half effect all: 2 pp

Equipment:
Captain America's Costume: Impervious Toughness 2, Subtle: 3 ep
22 Ep for mission specific equipment, usually including a commlink and some kind of vehicle.

Offense:
Close (Shield), 18, DC +8 Damage
Close (Unarmed), 20, DC +5 Damage
Ranged (Shield), 14, DC +8 Damage

Complications:
    Enemy: Red Skull, Baron Zemo, other anti-Americans.
    Patriotism: America
    Relationships: Sharon Carter (Romantic), Bucky (Former sidekick), Nick Fury, friendship with most of Earth's superhumans.

Total: Abilities 114 + Defense 22 + Skills 54 + Advantages 60 + Powers 26 = 276

Notes: This is a little closer to the Captain America I had in mind originally when I built him the first time, so hopefully I've done him a bit better justice now. Not much to say, other than bumping him up a PL, tweaking a few of his power constructs, and so on. One thing to note is that I'm using Removable in two different ways on this build; the Shield itself is Removable and transferable; anyone could steal it, use it to hit things, and defend themselves with it. What they couldn't do is throw it the way Cap does. The distinction is important, and will feature again if I build any other "weapon master" type builds.

Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Re: Xarathos' Builds: Marvel Icons: 3E Captain America (PL 13)

Postby Xarathos » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:48 am

Bumping my own thread. . . school has been keeping me pretty busy, but I want to get building again. I'm debating between revising Spider-man again, or fixing Iron Man to match the rest of my Icons.

I'm also contemplating doing a run of 3e fantasy archetypes and racial templates at PL 6-8ish, drawing inspiration from D&D concepts; Arcane Archer, Assassin, Thief, and a few others - various flavors of Magic User, Cleric, Paladin... I'd like to keep them as customizable as possible, but my recent insights into design decisions for 3e kind of necessitates giving them another shot.

I'd make a necro joke, but since I was only on the second page it probably wouldn't fit. ;)

Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Xarathos' Builds: Fantasy Templates 3e: The Arcane Archer

Postby Xarathos » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:32 pm

Arcane Archer

Overview:
The Arcane Archer is one of many similar disciplines which blend spellcasting with Martial prowess, magic and skill melded together into a perfect harmony. It falls into a similar category with the swordmage, hexblade, and other classes. Originally an Elven discipline, there are Arcane Archers of any number of races here in The World, though the most common practitioners are still found among the elven races, humans, and beings of varied magical heritage such as the Tiefling.

As a general rule, Arcane Archers are dextrous and intelligent, and they often have strong wills and forceful personalities.

Despite the implications of the archetype's name, the discipline of Arcane Archery requires any kind of ranged weapon, and individual practitioners have been known to favor weapons that reflect their region, race, or just personal preference. The iconic Arcane Archer uses a longbow; however crossbow, shortbow, or even thrown weapons work equally effectively.

Arcane Archer Template: 18 pp

Powers: 12 pp
    Arcane Archery: 12 pp
      Ranged Damage 6 (Easily Removable -4): 8 point array.
      Choose 4 alternate effects: 4 pp
Skills: 6 pp
Expertise (Magic) 4, Stealth 4, Perception 4

Equipment:
Any ranged weapon, usually a bow.

Notes: An Arcane Archers primary powers - those he/she uses with a bow - will all have the easily removable flaw. A bow can be disarmed, it can be sundered, and it can be otherwise rendered unusable. What it can't be, as determined by the descriptors involved, is used by anyone else for anything greater than what they could get out of a perfectly normal bow.

Such powers are actually built on 12 points; powers which are to be used unarmed, or utility powers, will be built on 8 points, the set value of the array. As these powers are magical, any number of power stunts can be justified using them in a similar fashion to a wizard or sorcerer.

The core assumption for this template is a PL 6-8 fantasy game, which will continue to be the assumption of any other templates built. The objective will be to provide the minimum necessary to mark a character as belonging to a particular "class" or "role" of the medieval fantasy world, rather than duplicate specific functionality from other systems. As fun as that can be.

The design philosophy here will thus attempt to cleave to the standard set by Warriors and Warlocks with its class and profession templates.

Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Re: Xarathos' Builds: Fantasy Templates 3E: Arcane Archer

Postby Xarathos » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:23 pm

The man who needs no introduction. . .
The Invincible Iron Man
"What do I say? I say you take your best shot... then you watch me heal... then I take my best shot. Bub." -Tony Stark addressing Wolverine
PL 14

Abilities: 70 pp
Strength 1/14, Stamina 4, Agility 5, Dexterity 5, Fighting 5, Intelligence 8, Awareness 2, Presence 4

Skills: 25 pp
Deception 4 (+8), Technology 16 (+24), Persuasion 4 (+8), Investigate 6 (+14), Expertise: [Business] 4 (+12), Perception 4 (+6), Insight 6 (+7), Ranged Combat (Repulsor Rays) 4 (+14), Vehicles 2 (+7)

Advantages: 26 pp,
Attractive, Benefit [Status, Wealthy (5), Security Clearance], Challenge: Aim, Connected, Contacts, Luck (2), Master Plan, Inventor, Skill Mastery [Technology], Teamwork, Accurate Attack, Improvised Tools, Power Attack, Jack of All Trades, Beginner's Luck, All-out Attack, Defensive Attack, Improved Aim, Precise Shot,

Offense:
Close (+? Unarmed, DC +14)
Ranged: (+14 Repulsors, DC +14)

Defense: 18 pp
Toughness: 4 + [12] = 16
Fortitude: 4 + 8 = 12
Dodge: 5 + [7] = 12
Parry: 5 + [7] = 12
Will: 2 + 10 = 12

Powers: 146 pp
Nano enhanced regeneration: Regeneration 5: 5 pp

Bleeding Edge Armor: 141 pp traits, -1 Activation (Move Action): 139 pp
AE: Feature 2 (Quickchange): 1 pp
    Secondary Musculature: Enhanced Strength 13; Enhanced Advantage (Extraordinary Effort): 27 pp
    Repulsor Beams: Ranged Damage 14: 26 pp
    AE: Unibeam: Close Area (Line) Damage 14: 1 pp
    Biomechanical Nano-Configured Armor Plating: Protection 12, Impervious: 24 pp
    Enhanced Advantages: Diehard, Ultimate Toughness: 2 pp
    Immunity 10 (Life Support): 10 pp
    Enhanced Reflexes: Enhanced Dodge 7, Enhanced Parry 7: Enhanced Ranged Attack 5, Enhanced Close Attack 1: 20 pp
    Senses: Radius Vision, Radar, Darkvision, Blindsight, Infravision, Ultraviolet Vision: 11 pp
    Flight 10: 20 pp
Abilities 70 + Skills 25 + Advantages 26 + Defenses 18 + Powers 146 = 285 pp

Complications:
    Enemies: Half of comic fandom, Norman Osborn, and pretty much any other goon in a suit or powered armor who thinks they can take a crack at the big one.
    Relationships: Pepper Potts, Friendships with former Avengers and members of Shield, Reed Richards
    Addiction: Tony Stark is a recovering alcoholic.
    Arrogant Prick: Tony Stark is also convinced that he's right. . . about pretty much everything.
    Guilt: For his role in the Civil War, as well as the earlier Armor Wars.
    Preexisting Condition: Tony's life is pretty much dependent on his armor in his post-human state. . .
    Identity: This has changed from secret to public so many times over the years that it's hardly worth trying to keep track. Consider it public for the moment.

Notes: This is my rewrite of Tony Stark, using a mix of several armor paradigms and influenced heavily by the new Bleeding Edge armor - essentially the replacement for Extremis. Like the previous model, this armor is actually integrated into Tony's body, can take on the appearance of normal clothes and transform to his armor at a moments notice. Both his body and the armor can repair themselves, and thanks to the Inventor advantage he can make adjustments to it as needed.

I raised his intellect over the last revision because I felt that Tony belongs in the same mental class as someone like Batman, though obviously with a greater emphasis on technology than, say, criminal science. He might dabble in other sciences, but he's the master when it comes to armor tech. I'd still place him behind Reed Richards or Brainiac in terms of raw intellect, and Reed is a better generalist/broader scientist (Jack of all trades, master of most).

I'm fairly pleased, though not unlike the man himself I'm sure I'll need to tweak a few things sooner or later. For now, though, this revision was long overdue.

Among the other changes, I opted to strip his weapons array down to a single effect - the standard Repulsor rays - and chalk the many other weapons systems down to power stunts (or rarely uses of the Inventor advantage), since they seem to be used a lot more like stunts, even in the films. It's simpler, even if it's less defined, and it embraces what I've always seen as one of the strengths of the M&M system.

EDIT: added attractive and the Uni-Beam back into the build; pulse bolts and absorption are on my to do list... Though absorption may put him over PL... Hmm.
Last edited by Xarathos on Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

catsi563
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Re: Xarathos' Builds: Invincible Iron Man (PL 14)

Postby catsi563 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:21 am

Id only disagree with one thing on your Iron man and thats the non inclusion of his pulse bolts and especially the Uni-beam. Those two at least are used very consistently enought o get their own listing.

Also he should have some capacity to absorb energy. Its a regular thing in the Iron Man series that hell hook into a power source and get a massive boost, such as what he did during the secret wars, and in the West Coast Avenegrs against graviton.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

The Litterbox

http://www.fanfiction.net/~catsi563

cassius335
Champion
Champion

Postby cassius335 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:13 am

What's a Wolverine Quote doing under the Iron Man picture?

And no Attractive? Tony Stark, the man who can bed pretty much any woman he pleases (including seducing both Maria Hill and Pepper Potts (on sperate occasions) while his brain was being erased) surely deserves it.
Last edited by cassius335 on Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Postby Xarathos » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:29 am

The quote actually is from Tony. He evidently was so confident in his new healing ability that he challenged Wolverine to a fight. I'd really like to see how that went down... I'll consider adding the two weapons systems, and as for attractive... I went back and forth several times on whether to include it. I think you're right, Cassius, and I'll add it back in as part of the first round of edits.

Absorbtion... Hmm. Maybe you're right. I'll think about it.

dwellerofthedeep
Zealot
Zealot

Postby dwellerofthedeep » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:00 am

Pretty slick set of builds here. I like your Iron Man a great deal, especially the very colorful complications.
Character Carnival!
My Blog
"If I have to give up a kidney I'll be okay because I'll still have Mutants and Masterminds."

Return to “Roll Call”