Xarathos' Builds: Mass Effect Templates: Infiltrator (PL 8)

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.
Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Re: Xarathos' Builds: Nextwave: Tabby Smith, Boom Boom (PL 9)

Postby Xarathos » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:12 pm

Murkglow wrote:I don't have time to look it all over right now but two things come to mind:
1) You probably want Affects Others extra on her Immunity if you want to use it to protect others.
2) I like the Second Picture. :mrgreen:

Fixed, on both counts. :mrgreen:

JoshuaDunlow
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Xarathos' Builds: Nextwave Intro and Team Roster

Postby JoshuaDunlow » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:49 pm

Xarathos wrote:First up: team leader.
Monica Rambeau

Talk about a blast from the past.

Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Postby Xarathos » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:15 pm

JoshuaDunlow wrote:Talk about a blast from the past.

Approve? :D

Murkglow
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Murkglow » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:29 pm

Ok now I can go into detail.

First, it looks like you're missing an ability point in Presence. Normally I would just say that the abilities only cost 38 but when I look down at your skills I see that Presence is appearently supposed to be a 3 (based of Deception and Persuasion's modifiers) so I went with Presence is missing a point.

Also, how far is "Throwing Distance" for her? If it's around 25 feet, instead of her Quirk, you could do Diminished Range x2. If it's farther then 25 feet though then the Quirk works fine as is.

Other then that, it looks good and I must say this looks like a build I would love to play sometime. I think I will. Next time I get into a game where everyone is picking Marvel heroes like Wolverine or something I'll pick Boom Boom (assuming you don't mind of course). :D

Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Postby Xarathos » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:04 pm

Murkglow wrote:Ok now I can go into detail.

First, it looks like you're missing an ability point in Presence. Normally I would just say that the abilities only cost 38 but when I look down at your skills I see that Presence is appearently supposed to be a 3 (based of Deception and Persuasion's modifiers) so I went with Presence is missing a point.

Also, how far is "Throwing Distance" for her? If it's around 25 feet, instead of her Quirk, you could do Diminished Range x2. If it's farther then 25 feet though then the Quirk works fine as is.

Other then that, it looks good and I must say this looks like a build I would love to play sometime. I think I will. Next time I get into a game where everyone is picking Marvel heroes like Wolverine or something I'll pick Boom Boom (assuming you don't mind of course). :D

First of all, I'm glad you like her, and it's totally alright with me for you to use her in a game! Please, tell me about it here if you do - I'd love to know how she does. These builds need to get playtime! :D I thought the same thing about her when I was building her, actually - she has probably one of the most straightforward power sets I've worked with in ages, and yet it just looks so fun. . . especially between the two choices of trigger effects. :mrgreen:

You're right, Presence was supposed to be 3 - I'm not sure how I managed to miss that one. Fixed. Throwing Distance for her . . . I'm using the 2E standard in my head which is that throwing distance is about half as far as you could get with a standard (unaltered) blast power.

Otherwise, it depends a great deal on what they weigh, I guess, with a few practical limitations . . . but their weight is going to be a negative rank on the mass table, which means she should be able to get fairly good distance even on her low strength. But basically it should be about half, and probably more than 25 ft. (considering the 30ft radius, it's a good thing - she didn't always have that immunity!)

Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Re: Xarathos' Builds: Nextwave: Aaron Stack/Machine Man, PL 10

Postby Xarathos » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:57 pm

Next up, we have Aaron Stack/X-51, better known as...
Machine Man
"My robot brain needs beer."
"We have beer in there?"
"I wish. No, just saying." --Aaron Stack to Monica Rambeau

PL 10

Abilities: 44 pp
Strength 6, Stamina --, Agility 3, Dexterity 3, Fighting 9, Intellect 5, Awareness 1, Presence 0

Powers: 93 pp
    Armored: Protection 11, Impervious 5 • 16 points.
    Titanium Alloy Construction: Immunity to Fortitude Effects • 30 points.
    Quick Repair: Regeneration 3 (one condition every 30 seconds) • 3 points
    Elongation 4: (Limbs - approximate reach, 120 ft) • 4 pp
    Robotic Senses: Extended Vision 1, X-ray Vision (Penetrates Concealment), Darkvision, Affects Others: 14 pp
    Swiss Army Knife: Variable 2 (Robotic Gadgets, Tools, and Attachments); Standard action, 10 pp traits: 14 pp
    Android Brain: Quickness 4 (Mental Tasks Only): 2 pp
    Flight 5: 10 pp
Skills: 30 pp
Acrobatics 6 (+9), Athletics 6 (+12), Close Combat (Unarmed) 4 (+14), Expertise: Engineering 5 (+10), Expertise: Science 10 (+15), Insight 5 (+6), Investigation 4 (+9), Perception 5 (+6), Technology 10 (+15), Vehicles 5 (+8)

Advantages: 6 pp
Close Attack, Jack of All Trades, Power Attack, Instant Up, Beginner's Luck, Luck,

Defenses: 15 pp
Dodge 9, Parry 9, Toughness 11, Will 10, Fortitude --

Total:
Abilities 44 + Skills 30 + Advantages 6 + Powers 93 + Defenses 15 = 188 pp

Complications:
    Addiction: Beer. He's not actually chemically dependent on it, but he wants it. A lot.
    Distant:Aaron has trouble relating to the "fleshy ones."
    Prejudice: People are still scared of machines . . . for . . . some reason. Maybe the Sentinels had something to do with it.
    Motivation: Beer, probably. Acceptance, maybe. Showing up the fleshy ones? Priceless.
    Lech: "I analyze your every word, identifying subconscious speech patterns that betray your poorly hidden lust for my rock-hard robot body..."

Notes: If anyone has the "Swiss Army Knife" variable power, it's Aaron Stack. He's the closest thing I've ever seen to a Do Anything Robot. In Nextwave, he's also hilarious. :D He'll often use his variable trait for things like more ranks of senses, various bladed implements (strength based damage, or just damage . . . ), or his standard ranged attack, pistol rounds loaded into his fingers.

Bonus image!
Last edited by Xarathos on Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Murkglow
Paragon
Paragon

Re: Xarathos' Builds: Nextwave: Aaron Stack, Machine Man (PL 10)

Postby Murkglow » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:20 pm

"Bite my valve" indeed. :lol:

Some minor corrections: You don't have his unarmed modifier listed int he skills section (it would be a +14). Also his defenses should cost 15pp not 13 (6 for Dodge and 9 for Will).

My only other comment is I would recommend making his Regen 6 or 3. It's just easier to remember as with regen 6 you recover a damage condition every other round and with regen 3 he regens once every 5 turns. With Regen 4 you have an odd round rotation (something like 3, 6, and 9) which can be a bit of a pain to remember (since it restarts at 10, it is not every 3 rounds).

Also I must say you're throwing these up quick. Did you have them made up in advance before you posted them or are you just so into the project that it's going easy?

Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Postby Xarathos » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:33 pm

Actually for him Regen 4 is functionally Regen 3; the first point just unlocks healing ability for a creature without a Stamina score.

Other than that, fixed the details, and thanks as always for the useful nitpicks. :D

Yeah, I'm building them as I go; I've just found a burst of enthusiasm for the project, is all. It's been awhile since I was having this much fun building characters - after awhile even the StarCraft ones started to feel like work. ^^

Murkglow
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Murkglow » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:37 pm

Xarathos wrote:Actually for him Regen 4 is functionally Regen 3; the first point just unlocks healing ability for a creature without a Stamina score.

I know which is why I recommended 6 and 3 (which would be 5 or 2). Regen 3 (or in this case 4) means he regens on an off schedule. Say he regens on turns 3, 6, and 9. On turn 10 it "resets" and he regens again on turn 3 which means he has a 4 turn break in between the last regen and the first of the new "ten turn cycle". I know it seems like Regen 3 is easy (every 20 seconds) but since each turn is 6 seconds long you never "land" on 20 seconds so he has to "skip" at some point to make up that extra time he needs. It's a rather odd thing to keep track of but if it doesn't bother you then that's fine. Just felt I should point it out.

Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Postby Xarathos » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:46 pm

Oh, duh. :lol: I don't know why I didn't put together what you meant, but I see it now. I dropped it to 3 - 5 rounds should work fine, and it's slightly cheaper - he isn't exactly Wolverine, after all.

Murkglow
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Murkglow » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:53 pm

Sorry if I was making a mountain out of a mole hill there, I just got kinda wrapped up in my explainations. :(

Also, I'm glad you're enjoying making these characters. It's nice to have a change of pace after a while and this is a pretty fun comic to build from. :)

Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Postby Xarathos » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:18 am

Hey, no worries - sorry it took me so long to figure it out, haha.

Well, I'm pretty tired (it's after midnight here) so I'm gonna finish the rest of the builds tomorrow. These have to be my favorites so far, though, and you have to love any comic that has its own theme song. :D

vitruvian
Henchman
Henchman

Postby vitruvian » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:40 am

Xarathos wrote:First up: team leader.
Monica Rambeau

Flight: Flight 7 (250 MPH) • 14 points.

Shouldn't she get a boost to this, to up to 671,000,000 mph, when in energy form?

Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Postby Xarathos » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:05 am

Honestly, that's a little far outside the scale of the chart for me to be messing with if I were to be perfectly literal about her ability to travel "lightspeed" - and she doesn't really do it in Nextwave. I'd probably put that down to some kind of application of Space Flight, personally, except that I don't know that she flies in space, either. :P

But that would be a jump from Flight 7 to Flight . . . let's see . . . carry the 2 . . .

About Flight 27, give or take. With 20 ranks of it Limited (Only in Energy Form) for 20 points.

Since she doesn't do it routinely (at least in Nextwave, the target point of the build), I'm more disposed either leaving it up to an elaborate power stunt using one of her other powers to boost flight (or even as an alternate power of her Energy Control - probably the cheapest and most balanced solution), or just adding a 2 point variation of Super-Movement for those who feel they need it. But we're talking about a comic in which she used a vehicle for most long-distance flying, presumably both because it could carry the whole team and possibly because it was faster for her at that stage in her career.

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Location: Bloomington, IL (Summer home in the dark recesses of the human psyche...)

Postby Thorpacolypse » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:33 pm

We want Dirk Anger...

Like yesterday...

Keep those Nextwave builds a'comin'. 8)
Shop J-Mart!

Service with a smilie! :)

Return to “Roll Call”