Xarathos' Builds: Mass Effect Templates: Infiltrator (PL 8)

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.
Saltcrow
Zealot
Zealot

Re: Xarathos' Builds: Medic, Reaper, Zergling: SCII Continued

Postby Saltcrow » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:21 pm

Zergling! I wuv u! It's... adorable *sniff*

Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Postby Xarathos » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:30 pm

That may be the first time I've ever heard a zergling called adorable, but then again I've read Hello Cthulhu, so I shouldn't be surprised. I'm glad you like it/them. :D

luketheduke86
Hero
Hero

Postby luketheduke86 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:25 pm

ZERG RUSH! Heh sorry couldn't resist :D. That Zergling is cool and I like the heroic duplication to show that there are always two of them and if you ever see just one of be prepared for an ambush. The Reaper and Medic are also good and that Reaper pic is pretty awesome! So are you going to continue building the Zerg for now?
A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day.

Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

SCII Continued: Hydralisk

Postby Xarathos » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:37 pm

Hydralisk
"The only good hydralisk is one charred to a smoldering crisp." --Slogan of the Annual Hydralisk Derby

PL 6, 90 pp~

Abilities: 10 pp
STR 6/2, STA 6/2, AGL 1, DEX 1, FGT 2, INT -3, AWA 1, PRE -1

Powers: 38 pp
Hydralisk Physiology:
    Carapace: Protection 4, Impervious 7: 11 pp
    Large Size: Growth 4 (4 STR and STA +2 Intimidate, -2 active defenses), Innate, Permanent: 9 pp
    Heightened Senses: Senses 2 (Low-light Vision, Scent).
    Burrowing: Burrowing 4 (Speed -5)
    Swarm Consciousness: Feature 2: mental link to own swarm, sensory link.
    Fast Healing: Regeneration 2
    Spine Launcher: Ranged Extra applied to Strength damage, Penetrating 2: 8 pp
Skills:
Athletics 4 (+10), Close Combat: Unarmed 4 (+6), Intimidation 1 (+1), Ranged Combat: Spike Launcher 5 (+6)

Advantages:

Offense:
+6 Attack (Spine Launcher, Unarmed), 6 Damage

Defenses:
Will 1, Fortitude 6, Toughness 10, Dodge 2, Parry 2

Totals:
Abilities 10 + Powers 38 + Advantages 0 + Skills 7 + Defenses 5 = 60 pp

Notes: Hydralisks, like most lower tier zerg, aren't known for their intellect. They are, however, surprisingly cunning, burrowing and lying in wait until an unsuspecting opponent moves by.

From the Wikia:
"Hydralisks may attack directly with scythe-like arms or, more commonly, strike from a distance with volleys of armor-piercing spines. Hundreds of spines are stored in the upper carapace plates and covered by flaps. The flaps fold back before the spines fire, a process which gives a few seconds warning to an impending volley."

It occurs to me that 'in game' style burrowing might be better handled as concealment of some kind, or even as a linked effect with burrow, but like the Reaper's jetpack I'm taking the mild liberty and giving the proper burrowing ability to the zerg. Given enough time, they could pop up from the middle of your base . . . heh. Imagine that. Zergling rush to the front lines, and then the Hydralisks burst from the ground to the rear.

:twisted: I have GOT to do that to a party of unsuspecting players one of these days. . .

Once again, using a hydralisk as a PC probably shouldn't be encouraged, but should it be desirable for some reason there's enough leftover points to raise it to PL 6 proper while bumping up the intellect - or if you just need a Hero unit for a boss fight. :P

EDIT: Fixed my math, borrowed some terms and performed cleanup using Murkglow's document as reference.
Last edited by Xarathos on Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Postby Xarathos » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:40 pm

luketheduke86 wrote:ZERG RUSH! Heh sorry couldn't resist :D. That Zergling is cool and I like the heroic duplication to show that there are always two of them and if you ever see just one of be prepared for an ambush. The Reaper and Medic are also good and that Reaper pic is pretty awesome! So are you going to continue building the Zerg for now?

Heheh, it's okay, we were all thinking it. XD

Glad you're enjoying the builds! And yeah, I'm going to work my way through the Zerg infantry before moving on to the Protoss.

A brief note on design philosophy: Even more so than with the Terrans, I'm trying to keep the Zerg "bare-bones" - if only because of the zerg tendency to have various evolutions in play for specific battles. Consider these the starting points for various strains of zerg. You may encounter hydralisks with acid tipped spines, additional advantages, higher PL, etc. These are intended to be easy to scale up from while still being reasonably accurate.

Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Re: Xarathos' Builds: Upcoming plans

Postby Xarathos » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:22 pm

Having to compile a list of what qualifies as "Infantry" where the zerg are concerned, given that they produce everything the same way. I'll have to give things a bit more testing before I'm sure, but as near as I can figure the list is as follows:

Zergling - Done
    Hydralisk - Done
    Baneling
    Roach

The line gets blurry after that. Even some of these are fairly blurry to me, especially the Baneling . . . being an evolution of the Zergling will do that, I suppose. But these are the planned units for now.

On the Protoss end of the equation, the official list is . . .

Zealot
    Templar
    Dark Templar
    Stalker
The Protoss may be difficult to fit in PL 6, given what's known about them, but I'll give it a solid effort anyway.
Last edited by Xarathos on Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Re: Xarathos' Builds: Baneling! Starcraft II for MnM

Postby Xarathos » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:33 pm

Baneling
"Boom."

PL 6

Abilities:
STR 3, STA 2, AGL 3, DEX 1, FGT 2, INT –4, AWE 1, PRE 0

Skills:
Perception 5 (+6), Stealth 7 (+10).

Advantages:
Teamwork, Improved Initiative

Powers: 41 pp
    Baneling Physiology
      - Carapace: Protection 2
      - Fast Healing: Regeneration 2
      - Powerful Legs: Burrowing 4, AE: Speed 3
      - Heightened Senses: (Low-Light Vision, Acute Olfactory)
      - Swarm Consciousness: Feature 2: Mental & Sensory link to own swarm
      - Detonate: Selective Area Acid Damage 6 (Burst), Penetrating 4, Side Effect: Kills Baneling Instantly

Dual Spawning: Summon Duplicate 4 - Heroic, Permanent

Offense: Init +7, Detonate (5 Damage).

Defenses: Dodge 6, Parry 6, Fortitude 6, Toughness 4, Will 3.

Totals: Abilities 16 + Skills 6 + Advantages 2 + Powers 41 + Defenses 13 = Total 78 points.

Complications:
    Volatile Physiology: Banelings explode when they're killed, effectively a triggered version of their detonate effect without the Selective extra: if you can take one out from a distance, it might just start a chain reaction.

Notes: Like Zerglings, you never see just ONE Baneling. Unlike zerglings, you don't see them very long, because they EXPLODE, doing their best to take you with them. On top of that, they're even faster than the originals. Banelings tend to work best in MnM as minions of larger creatures who sacrifice them to soften up the PCs, then move in for the kill. Take a hero point!

Let me rephrase that: Banelings = Minions. Almost exclusively. They aren't in the fight long enough to be anything else.

I'm still not sure how I feel about this one - I'm not a big fan of suicidal units as a rule, but on the other hand, it sure beats the old infested Terran. Which reminds me . . . :D

Baneling PCs aren't plausible. Who wants to play a character that dies instantly when you use its only attack? And no, buying immortality isn't an option for the Banelings. Though that WOULD be pretty funny. Heh :P

I should also have pointed out that Banelings tend to explode when you shoot them, too, which means its in the PC's best interests to blow them up when they're far away. They also tend to favor the tactic of either rushing at you from a distance, or suddenly bursting from the ground as you go by, exploding, and setting you up for further ambush from other Zerg.

EDIT: Fixed the PL issue by bumping it up to a PL 6 (there has to be a reason to evolve them from Zerglings, after all)
Last edited by Xarathos on Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Re: SCII Continued: Roach

Postby Xarathos » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:21 pm

Roach
More intimidating than their name would indicate.

PL 6, 90 pp~

Abilities: 6 pp
STR 4/0, STA 6/2, AGL 1, DEX 1, FGT 2, INT -3, AWA 1, PRE -1

Powers: 51 pp
    Carapace: Protection 4, Impervious 7: 11 pp
    Large Size: Growth 4 (4 STR and STA +2 Intimidate, -2 active defenses), Innate, Permanent: 9 pp
    Heightened Senses: Senses 2 (Low-light Vision, Scent).
    Burrowing: Burrowing 7 (Speed -5): 7 pp
    Swarm Consciousness: Feature 2: mental link to own swarm, sensory link.
    Fast Healing: Regeneration 4 (Limited: While burrowing): 2 pp
    Acidic Saliva: Damage 6 (Acid), Secondary Effect, Ranged : 18 pp
Skills:
Athletics 4 (+8), Close Combat: Unarmed 4 (+6), Intimidation 1 (+1), Ranged Combat: Acidic Saliva 5 (+6)

Advantages:

Offense:
+6 Attack (Acid Spit, Unarmed), 6 Damage

Defenses:
Will 1, Fortitude 6, Toughness 10, Dodge 2, Parry 2

Totals:
Abilities 6 + Powers 51 + Advantages 0 + Skills 7 + Defenses 5 = 69 pp

Notes:
Roaches are the new Tier 2 zerg infantry, with Hydralisks being moved to Tier 1.5. One of their significant features is the ability to move while burrowed, and a faster regeneration while burrowing - this was represented by the limited Regeneration at a higher rank, and a much higher burrow rank as well. The base price for a roach is much higher than a hydralisk or zergling, but the mobility underground and secondary damage effect can make it worth it.

EDIT: more tweaks from Murkglow's document, mainly to toughness on this one and reordering skills . . . and correcting math. :oops:
Last edited by Xarathos on Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

luketheduke86
Hero
Hero

Re: Xarathos' Builds: Zerg: Baneling, Roach: StarCraft 2 3e

Postby luketheduke86 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:44 pm

Wow the roach's acidic saliva is just plain nasty! Between them and the banelings, SC2 sure did add some nasty critters to the Zerg lineup.
A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day.

Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Postby Xarathos » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:38 pm

They really did, heh - but then again, the other races have escalated quite a bit too. Stalkers are unbelievable as a Dragoon replacement (to say nothing of how much more generally useful stealth is for the Dark Templar with the newfound scarcity of detectors), and the Marauder and Reaper make things very interesting for the Terrans, too - such that the new Terran "go-to" for infantry is called MMM - Marines, Marauders, and Medics (or the new Medivac in multiplayer, basically a combination of a flying Medic with a dropship).

That's it for the lower-tier zerg, though I may revisit them for some of the more powerful zerg units later (If a Zergling is PL 5, where should the Ultralisk be? I'll probably have to look at tank stats for reference, hah). Starting tomorrow or the next day, I'll start on the Protoss builds, most likely beginning with the Zealot unless someone asks for something else first.

And at some point, I really have to make a template for the basic "Infested Terran" - the standard ones don't explode anymore, which is a good thing (for the swarm, at least). :)

HustlerOne
Zealot
Zealot

Postby HustlerOne » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:35 pm

Great starcraft builds so far. Keep up the good work. I can't wait for the protoss.

Do you have any plans for doing any other starcraft vehicles or buildings?

The Zerg vehicles are really just huge creatures. I think the Ultralisk would be around Huge size like a Tank.

The terran and protoss conventional vehicles can be done easily with the vehicle rules. The new Terran banshee feels like a military helicopter without machine guns but have invisibility.

I'm not so sure about their various mecha. Mecha and manga may not be compatible with third edition.
Though the new protoss stalker is definitely a construct.

The buildings would be an interesting challenge. Though that new self repair feature might come in handy for the zerg. I guess some terran buildings would have low ranks in flight. Force fields would be mandatory with protoss buildings.

Once again nice work on the various infantry units.

Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Postby Xarathos » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:29 pm

Yeah, I was thinking about doing vehicles at least, eventually. The buildings would probably be equipment and fall under the headquarters rules; vehicles would most likely also be equipment, possibly devices, depending on rarity. Mainly, however, I'd classify them as equipment. The Battlecruiser/Carrier might overlap between headquarters and vehicle rules.

Mecha and Manga . . . now there's a supplement I'd like to see updated. On the whole, however, most of the advice in there is still good, and mecha are basically just constructed using the same vehicle rules that the planes and tanks would be. Just a different set of descriptors.

Most terran buildings would have at least flight 2; possibly some defenses, etc. Protoss buildings would have force fields, zerg regeneration. However, most of the time you wouldn't need much in the way of stats for the structures. A toughness score in case they're attacked, a weapon rank (if applicable). . . otherwise, the difference between one building and another in MnM is largely how you describe it to your players. The only time you'd need stats is if a player purchased one as a headquarters, and most of the time in a StarCraft type game a headquarters would be a gift from the GM. IF you're lucky enough to have one.

But yeah, I would like to stat out the vehicles at some point, assuming I don't lose patience with the whole endeavor. :D

EDIT: As for the Stalker, while it might be a construct, it's also a character - there's a Dark Templar essence in that thing, and it's fully sentient, unlike, say, the Probe or something along those lines. But it would likely follow many of the rules for a construct character.

Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Re: Xarathos' Builds: Zealot: Starcraft II for MnM

Postby Xarathos » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:32 pm

Protoss Zealot
"I am Templar! I am the sword of truth!"

PL 7

Abilities: 32 pp
STR 4, STA 2, AGL 3, DEX 1, FGT 3, INT 1, AWE 1, PRE 1

Skills: 5 pp
Close Combat: Psi-Blades 4 (+7), Insight 4 (+5), Perception 2 (+3)

Advantages: 2 pp
Improved Initiative, Language (Khalani, Terran)

Powers: 35 pp
- Protoss Racial Traits: 7 pp
    Photosynthesis: Immunity 1 (Starvation and Thirst): 1 pp
    Darkvision: 2 pp
    Acute Scent: 1 pp
    Protection 1 (Scales): 1 pp
    Feature 1 (Long lived: Protoss life expectancy is approximately 1000 years): 1 pp
    Telepathic Communication: Apply the Selective extra to the Protoss' speech. 1 pp

- Khalai Protoss Traits: 2 pp
    Khala Psionic Gestalt: Feature 1: Empathic Link to other Protoss
    Enhanced Advantage (Trance): 1 pp

-Limited Psionic Abilities: 2 pp
    Danger Sense: 1 pp, Enhanced Advantage (Improved Defense)

- Cybernetic Combat Armor: 30 pp, Removable -6: 24 pp
    Psi-Blade: Strength Based Damage 3, Multiattack 7, Penetrating 2: 12 pp
    Charge: Speed 2 (Limited: Only when Charging): 1 pp
    Force Field: Protection 7, Impervious 9: 16 pp
    Preserver: Feature 1: When a Protoss is near death, a device activates automatically that teleports him to the nearest Protoss facility capable of providing medical attention.

Offense:
+ 7 Atk (Psi Blades), +7 Damage

Defenses:
Dodge 4, Parry 4, Toughness 10, Will 4, Fortitude 2

Totals: Abilities 32 + Skills 5 + Advantages 2 + Powers 35 + Defenses 5 = 86 pp

+3 Toughness, -3 Def

Notes: WHEW, by far the most raw power of the basic tier 1 units, Zealots are also much rarer than Marines - in a large part, because Protoss are less prolific than Terrans, and certainly less so than Zerg. In theory, 1 zealot should match up reasonably well against 2 marines . . . whether that holds up is anyones guess.

Zealots LOVE the charge maneuver, throwing themselves into battle with abandon. Their limited psionic abilities are all geared toward survivability, and augmented by the cybernetic implants they are modified with.

I'm still debating whether some of the cybernetic augmentations should be moved to a power-suit construction, but . . . meh. For now it stands.

About the Protoss telepathy: their empathic link only functions with their own species, and then only with Protoss who are Khalai - Dark Templar have severed this connection, and will thus lack the feature. Khalani is a language that is spoken through telepathic bursts; naturally, Communication would seem to be necessary for this, right?

Wrong: Protoss communication is basically a substitute for speaking. It requires electronic assistance to boost its range, and in almost all respects functions as if you were talking to someone in the room. At the most, I'd apply the Selective extra to their speech to represent being able to easily determine who can 'hear' them (and a complication that they can't communicate with anything that doesn't have Will), but otherwise it's more of a descriptor than anything else - they have no mouths, therefore they use telepathy to "talk".

Mind reading is a different story, of course.

EDIT: Incorporating more of the fixes as I move forward, also changed the cybernetic stuff to combat armor, since it's clearly defined as such in multiple lore. . . and added the Selective extra to speech to handle their usual telepathic communication style.
Last edited by Xarathos on Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Re: Xarathos' Builds: High Templar: Starcraft II for MnM

Postby Xarathos » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:15 pm

Protoss High Templar
"En Taro Tassadar. We shall stand against the darkness."

PL 7

Abilities: 28 pp
STR 2, STA 2, AGL 2, DEX 1, FGT 2, INT 2, AWE 2, PRE 1

Expertise: Khalai Lore 4 (+6), Insight 4 (+6), Perception 2 (+4)

Advantages: 1 pp
Languages (Khalani, Terran),

Powers: 55 pp
    Immunity (Starvation, Thirst: Protoss derive sustenance from light, and absorb what little water they need through their skin): 1 pp
    Heightened Senses: Darkvision, Acute scent: 3 pp
    Feature 1 (Long lived: Protoss life expectancy is approximately 1000 years): 1 pp
    Telepathic Speech: Apply selective extra to speech. 1 pp

- Khalai Protoss Traits: 2 pp
    Khala Psionic Gestalt: Feature 1: Empathic link with other Khalai Protoss. 1 pp
    Enhanced Advantage (Trance): 1 pp

- High Templar Training: 32 pp
    Power of the Khala: 30 point psionic array
      Psionic Storm: Perception Burst Area Damage 7 (blocked by cover): 30 pp
      Choose 2 others: 2 pp

- Cybernetic Armor: 17 pp, removable -3; 14 pp
    Force Field: Protection 7, Impervious 9: 16 pp
    Preserver: Feature 1: When a Protoss is near death, a device activates automatically that teleports him to the nearest Protoss facility capable of providing medical attention.

Offense:
+7 Damage (Psionic Storm, other psionic powers)

Defenses:
Dodge 4, Parry 4, Toughness 10, Will 4, Fortitude 2

Totals: Abilities 28 + Skills 5 + Advantages 1 + Powers 55 + Defenses 6 = 95 pp

+3 Toughness, -3 Def

Notes: High Templar provide support and spiritual guidance for the rest of the Protoss, filling the role of "Battle Cleric" in a sense. And my GOODNESS is that Psionic Storm nasty . . . It's the most common ability for High Templar, and used on the battlefield with great regularity.

Other attacks are available to them as well, generally other applications of their psionic training. I decided to leave it flexible - I remember Tassadar in the first game having a psi-blast of some kind, and some High Templar have been known to use Psi-blades. Telekinesis is not unheard of, and in fact is considered a lesser ability to that of the psionic storm.

The storm requires supreme will, training, and concentration to master and maintain control over. With a little effort and thought, I'd probably bend things around a bit and add a complication similar to Green Lantern's relating to powers limited by will. . . but that's a digression for later.

Khalai Protoss who are less trained have been known to create storms, but lose control of them quickly and are usually consumed. Dark Templar cannot access the energies required to create the psionic storms because they have severed their link with the Khala. Their power comes from the Void.

EDIT: Fixed a few more issues, changed the combat armor to removable, and added the selective extra to speech as with the Zealot.
Last edited by Xarathos on Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Xarathos' Builds: Dark Templar: Starcraft II for MnM

Postby Xarathos » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:16 am

Dark Templar
"Though we strike at you from the shadows, do not think that we lack the courage to stand in the light."
- Zeratul to Infested Kerrigan

PL 7

Abilities: 28 pp
STR 2, STA 2, AGL 2, DEX 1, FGT 2, INT 2, AWE 2, PRE 1

Expertise: The Void 4 (+6), Insight 4 (+6), Perception 2 (+4)

Advantages: 2 pp
Hide In Plain Sight, Language (Khalani, Terran)

Powers: 42 pp
    Immunity (Starvation, Thirst: Dark Templar absorb water the same way as other protoss, though they have adapted their physiology to survive on their lightless home world): 1 pp
    Darkvision, Acute Scent: 3 pp
    Telepathic Communication: Selective extra to speech. 1 pp

- Nerazim Protoss Traits: 2 pp
    Psionic Awareness: Psionic Awareness, Void Awareness: 2 pp (Dark Templar have severed the empathic link that ties them to the Khala, and have attuned themselves to the energies of the Void.)

- Dark Templar Training: 26 pp
    Power of the Void: 14 point psionic array: Choose 2 AE's: 16 pp
      - Base: Void Blade: Strength Based Damage 5, Penetrating 5, Accurate 2, Improved Critical
      - AE:
      - AE:
    "Cloak": Concealment (All Visual): 8 pp

- Cybernetic Upgrades: 7 pp, Removable -1: 6 pp
    Light Force Field: Protection 2, Impervious 5: 7 pp

- Zerg Hide Armor: Protection 1, 1 pp

Offense:

Defenses:
Dodge 8, Parry 8, Toughness 6, Will 4, Fortitude 2

Totals: Abilities 28 + Skills 5 + Advantages 2 + Powers 42 + Defenses 14 = 91 pp

-1 Toughness, +1 Def

Notes: Dark Templar are usually defense shifted by the barest of margins, and quite naturally favor stealth and guile over the flashy abilities of the High Templar. They're also capable of producing a number of effects from their Void array that aren't available to the High Templar, though a good portion of their psionic potential is invested into their cloaking. Granted, if you can figure out where they are and hit them with a heavy enough area attack . . . but good luck with that, especially if (like Zeratul), you're dealing with a Dark Templar with teleportation.

EDIT: Made a few tweaks in keeping with the rest of the edits I've been doing, including making speech selective (IE Telepathy).
Last edited by Xarathos on Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Roll Call”