Xarathos' Builds: Mass Effect Templates: Infiltrator (PL 8)

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.
JoshuaDunlow
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Xarathos' Builds: PL 6 Terran Marine: Starcraft for MnM

Postby JoshuaDunlow » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:54 am

Xarathos wrote:I see your point, but I think it works well enough - the effort is to represent the characters continual exposure to the inhuman Zerg and the aloof Protoss. I could pull it, but I feel like tactics for dealing with those species at least would be a standard part of their training, and make them better able to combat the threat they represent to human survival.

I'll go ahead and make the tweak to Favored Foe (Xel'naga Creations) - that limits it to those two species only without giving the Terran Marine bonuses if he runs into, say, a Kryptionian (which in his own setting, is admittedly unlikely). Alien as written would be more appropriate in a more cosmopolitan setting where the Terran military might have encountered any number of other alien species as well - or if lifting the Marine's stats for use in any other special ops unit that regularly fights alien races.

Don't tweak anything on my account, i am just trying to understand the books view point on the subject. So I suppose in a way Favored Foe is dependant on the setting, and where it takes place. If the campaign was on earth (the default DC setting), it might seem appropriate. Since aliens are not a major part of the population. But i think in a star faring campaign setting, Favored Foe would have to change slightly in the definetions of what is considered too broad a group.

Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Re: Xarathos' Builds: PL 6 Terran Firebat: Starcraft for MnM

Postby Xarathos » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:02 am

Continuing through the Terran force, let's go with an old favorite that didn't make Wings of Liberty Multiplayer (yet). Just be careful if he invites you to a barbeque.

Terran Firebat
"Is something burning? *sound of flamethrower* Haha, that’s what I thought."

PL 6, 90 pp

Abilities:
STR 5/3, STA 4/2, AGL 1, DEX 1, FGT 2, INT 0, AWE 0, PRE -1

Equipment:

- CMC-660 Combat Suit: 50 ep
    Bulky Armor Plating: Protection 6, Impervious Toughness 7; Growth 2 (+2 Str and Stamina, +2 Mass, +1 Intimidate, +1 Dodge and Parry): 20 ep
    Life Support Systems: Immunity 10 (Life Support): 10 pp
    Flame Retardant: Immunity 5 (Fire Damage) Flawed: Half effect: 3 ep
    Radio: As commlink, tied into the network of that particular Terran faction - otherwise, effective range is 1 mile: 1 ep
    Mission Recorder: Feature 2, records audio and visual of every mission. 2 ep
    Flash Helmet: +5 equipment bonus against visual Dazzle attacks involving bright light. 1 ep
    Flashlight: beam of light 30 ft long and 15 feet across at the end, negates darkness penalties. 1 ep
    - Wrist Mounted Perdition Flame Throwers: Fire Area Damage 6 (Cone): 12 ep
      AE: Fire Area Damage 6 (Line): 1 ep

Advantages:
Close Attack 2, Equipment 10, Ranged Attack 5, Teamwork

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+9/7), Expertise: Choose One 2 (+2), Expertise: Criminal 2 (+2), Expertise: Streetwise 4 (+4)
Expertise: Tactics 4 (+4), Intimidation 4 (+4/3), Perception 4 (+4), Stealth 2 (+3), Vehicles 4 (+5)

Offense:
Init +1, Unarmed +4 (Damage 5), Ranged +6 (Damage 6)

Defense: Dodge 2, Parry 2, Fort 5, Tou 10/2, Will 2.

Totals:
Abilities 16 + Powers 0 + Advantages 18 + Skills 15 + Defenses 6 = 54 pp

Tradeoffs: Toughness +4/Defenses -4,

Notes:

Do NOT, under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, stand in FRONT of a Firebat. That attack is indiscriminate, and it will not be a pleasant experience for any Marines in the way. Nor is the Firebat likely to feel remorse, since even more than Marines, Firebats are recruited almost exclusively from the ranks of murderers, arsonists, and general psychotics who have been "rehabilitated" through modification of their aggression centers.

Firebats have been largely phased out of use in the Terran military of late in favor of the Marauder, but they still find a place in certain militias and any force which expects to face the Zerg regularly. They also make effective terror troops.

EDIT: Swapped out the 2nd point of Teamwork for a bump to his Fort defense.

EDIT: Basic fixes. Trimmed some points here and there and adjusted for cleaner presentation based on Murkglow's input. Cut Favored Foe - it's not really appropriate for the rank and file terrans, and provides something else that players can customize without losing. Realized that Impervious 7 is functionally identical to Impervious 8 under the new system . . . gah.
Last edited by Xarathos on Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Re: Xarathos' Builds: PL 6 Terran Marine: Starcraft for MnM

Postby Xarathos » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:07 am

JoshuaDunlow wrote:Don't tweak anything on my account, i am just trying to understand the books view point on the subject. So I suppose in a way Favored Foe is dependant on the setting, and where it takes place. If the campaign was on earth (the default DC setting), it might seem appropriate. Since aliens are not a major part of the population. But i think in a star faring campaign setting, Favored Foe would have to change slightly in the definetions of what is considered too broad a group.

I think you've hit the nail on the head precisely here; in a Green Lantern based game, for instance, Alien might be too broad, but then again it might not, considering what the Green Lanterns do (super-cops in space!) - certainly for most characters in a Star Trek game or something similar, unless that's your character's "niche" - like say, for a xenolinguistics expert.

The point being, yes, it's up to the GM to decide what's balanced for their individual game/setting.

Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Xarathos' Builds: PL 6 Firebat, Marauder

Postby Xarathos » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:07 pm

Terran Marauder
"Yeah, I got all five fingers! Three on this hand, two on the other one!"

PL 6, 90 pp

Abilities:
STR 5/3, STA 4/2, AGL 1, DEX 1, FGT 2, INT 0, AWE 0, PRE -1

Equipment:

- Modified CMC-660 Combat Suit: 56 ep
    Bulky Armor Plating: Protection 6, Impervious Toughness 7; Growth 2 (+2 Str and Stamina, +2 Mass, +1 Intimidate, +1 Dodge and Parry): 20 pp
    Life Support Systems: Immunity 10 (Life Support): 10 pp
    Radio: As commlink, faction network - otherwise, effective range is 1 mile: 1 ep
    Mission Recorder: Feature 2, records audio and visual of every mission for later review. 2 ep
    Flash Helmet: +5 equipment bonus against visual Dazzle attacks involving bright light. 1 ep
    Flashlight: beam of light 30 ft long and 15 feet across at the end, negates darkness penalties. 1 ep
    Quad K12 "Punisher" grenade launchers: Ranged Burst Damage 6, Penetrating 4

4 ep remaining for operator specific upgrades.

Advantages:
Close Attack 2, Equipment 12, Ranged Attack 5, Teamwork

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+9/7), Expertise: Choose One 2 (+2), Expertise: Criminal 2 (+2), Expertise: Streetwise 4 (+4)
Expertise: Tactics 4 (+4), Intimidation 4 (+4/3), Perception 4 (+4), Stealth 2 (+3), Vehicles 4 (+5)

Offense:
Init +1, Unarmed +4 (Damage 5), Ranged +6 (Damage 6)

Defense: Dodge 2, Parry 2, Fort 5, Tou 10/2, Will 2.

Totals:
Abilities 16 + Advantages 20 + Defenses 6 + Powers 0 + Skills 15 = 57 (90)

Tradeoffs: Toughness +4/Defenses -4,

Notes:

Marauders replaced Firebats, in universe, because Firebats were felt to be geared too heavily to combatting other Terrans, and the Confederacy needed something capable of consistently puncturing thick zerg carapaces, particularly those of the Hydralisk and Roach. The Marauder was intended to fill this role, and his "Punisher" grenade launchers manufacture and launch hundreds of rounds. The armor is a modified version of that developed for the Firebat, and as such is much bulkier than that of a Marine. Like a Firebat, Marauders just . . . don't do precision, not in M&M. Bring them if you're fighting large groups of opponents, and keep them out of melee. And send some Marines to back them up.

Marauders turned out to be more useful when combatting armored and shielded Protoss, but in general their grenades shouldn't be ignored.

In continuity, the Punisher rounds can be modified to produce a slowing effect on the target at the center of the blast; for this, add a linked ranged affliction with either hindered, dazed, or both, but without a burst area. The center target gets hit by the affliction, all others merely take damage.

As before, there are plenty of points left over to make the pilot more skilled or increase the flexibility of the armor, but this is a good representation of the rank-and-file/probably minions that you'll usually encounter.

EDIT: Fixed Teamwork problem. Adjusted a few elements based on Murkglow's input, reordering and correcting skills and Advantages, and removed Favored Foe to save a point for customization.
Last edited by Xarathos on Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JoshuaDunlow
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Xarathos' Builds: Firebat, Marauder: Starcraft II for MnM

Postby JoshuaDunlow » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:46 pm

This is some pretty good stuff. And i've been paying attention to the armor ratings. So i'm taking the Confederate Armor is pretty top-notch stuff, when compared to these other two?

Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Postby Xarathos » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:15 pm

Glad you're enjoying it, JD :D

And to answer your question . . . yes and no. The real difference is in their complications.

Armor rating wise, they actually work out about the same - the Marauder and Firebat are designed partly with intimidation in mind, and in the games they're also much larger than the Marine, so the real difference is that the CMC - 660 series includes Permanent Growth rather than just straight up protection (which should probably include innate, but I didn't see the need given that it's just really big armor). If I was looking to include more variation in PL, I might adjust things slightly one way or another based on the health values of the individual units, but as it is I'm basing the terran infantry around a PL 6 baseline, suitable for a squad of PCs, and until you get to the Ghost they all operate on similar principles: they're tough as nails, but hell to dodge in from their sheer bulk.

Or, put simply: both the CMC - Powered Armor Suit worn by the Marines AND the CMC-660 variants use a toughness tradeoff of +4/-4. They just get to the cap differently. They're even similarly immune to small arms fire (which still falls in at +3 and +4 or so). Most of the heavier armors in the Terran military use that tradeoff.

In terms of complications, however. . .

The Marine not only is less bulky, but has fewer problems with other things, like, say, opening doors or using control panels; I keep looking at the Marauder and Firebat, and it looks like they gave up on fine manipulation entirely for those suits. They're basically walking lower tiered tanks, as much as infantry. Tanks that take a half hour to get out of, but grant a pretty darn good survivability (relatively . . . ) while inside.

The Marine has better range than the Firebat, but both the Firebat and the Marauder have better coverage of targets, and the Marauder's weapons are better at armor piercing than either. Firebats have the advantage of not having to worry about friendly fire (fire, heheheh).

If you want the all-around most flexible of the three, though, you go with the Marine. Hands down, and as it should be.

Three Terran infantry units to go, I believe, and whoever posts about it first gets to decide which one's first. Ghost, Medic, or Reaper?

EDIT: I should note, the dodge tradeoff can be decreased as PL increases - in fact, it probably should, representing the wearer becoming more comfortable with the armor and adjusting to its bulk.

luketheduke86
Hero
Hero

Postby luketheduke86 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:49 pm

Both the Firebat and the Marauder builds are very cool. I'm a bit bummed that the Firebats aren't in the multiplayer though, I always enjoyed hearing that *fwoosh* followed by zerglings exploding :D. If I had to choose which unit you get to build next, it'd have to be the Ghost. You can never go wrong with psychic assassins/stealth 8).
A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day.

Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Re: Xarathos' Builds: Terran Ghost: Starcraft II for MnM

Postby Xarathos » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:19 pm

Yeah, I was a little miffed about the Firebats, too, at least until I saw the Marauder and the Hellion . . . but I hope they bring the Firebats in later, anyway. They make me nostalgic. Still, at least with the Hellion, the lovely smell of napalm roasted zerglings is still with us :D

Speaking of nostalgia . . . you asked, so here it is. Whew, this one was challenging to fit into my constraints, and it's still the most expensive template on the list. But then again, it's higher tier infantry, so we shouldn't be surprised. The subject of an aborted attempt to launch a new game set in the StarCraft universe, this warrior needs no introduction.

Terran Ghost
"You called down the thunder, now reap the whirlwind."

PL 6, 90 pp

Abilities:
STR 3/1, STA 2, AGL 2, DEX 3, FGT 6, INT 1, AWE 2, PRE 2

Powers:

Psionicly Gifted: Senses: Psionic Awareness (Mental), Danger Sense (Mental): 2 pp

Equipment: 53 points worth, including:

- Hostile Environment Suit: 34 ep
    Life Support Systems: Immunity 10 (Life Support), 10 ep
    - Enhanced Strength 2: 4 ep
    - Protection 2, Impervious 4: 6 ep
    - Feature 1: Degrades on death of the operative, 1 ep
    - Cloaking Device: Concealment 4 (All visual): 8 ep
Helmet:
    - Lens Construction: Night Vision Goggles: Darkvision, -2 to perception while wearing them: 1 ep
    - Magnification Lenses: +5 perception bonus over distance, 1 ep
    - Flash Goggles: +5 equipment bonus versus visual Dazzle effects caused by bright light. 1 ep
    - Comm System: As Commlink, 1 ep
    - Chronometer: Time sense, 1 ep
- C-10 Canister Rifle:
    Ranged Damage 5, Penetrating 3, Improved Critical 3 (17-20), Suppressor (Subtle 1), Targeting Scope (Improved Aim): 18 ep
    - Built in GPS: 1 ep
Advantages:
Ranged Combat 2, Equipment 11,

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+7), Acrobatics 4 (+6), Deception 4 (+6), Insight 4 (+6), Stealth 2 (+4), Vehicles 2 (+5). Perception 4 (+6), Technology 2 (+3), Investigate 2 (+5), Ranged Combat (C-10 Canister Rifle) 2 (+7)

Offense:
Init +2, Unarmed +6 (Damage 3), Ranged +7 (Damage 5)

Defense: Dodge 8, Parry 8, Fort 2, Tou 4/2, Will 6.

Totals:
Abilities 38 + Powers 2 + Advantages 13 + Skills 15 + Defenses 12 = 80 pp
10 points unspent.

Tradeoffs: Toughness -2/Defenses +2, +1 Atk, -1 DC

Notes: Whew. . . I THINK I fit almost everything in. The ghost is a hard unit to capture while still having any room for customization. Those last 10 points should probably either be spent on skills, more equipment (including EMP and the like), or augmented psionic powers, such as a telepathy array. All ghosts are supposed to be telepathic at minimum, able to read minds, though a number of them have their abilities limited by psionic inhibitor chips implanted in their brains. This one is only psionically aware, able to identify the use of psionic abilities and use an 'early warning' sense to evade danger more readily. This may be a ghost who still has learning to do, or he might be the victim of said inhibitor chip, only able to unleash his full potential in time.

I might even go so far as to say that a proper ghost should be PL 7, minimum, but . . . /shrugs

Saltcrow
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Saltcrow » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:46 pm

Aren't Ghosts often described as being able to read minds? But then again, it would make them hideously expensive for nothing noteworthy I suppose. General nitpicking aside, I like your builds.

If you take any requests, do you plan to go through Zerg units at some point in time? I'd love to see those cute little Zerglings!

Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Postby Xarathos » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:18 pm

Saltcrow wrote:Aren't Ghosts often described as being able to read minds? But then again, it would make them hideously expensive for nothing noteworthy I suppose. General nitpicking aside, I like your builds.

If you take any requests, do you plan to go through Zerg units at some point in time? I'd love to see those cute little Zerglings!

You're right, they ARE supposed to be able to read minds . . . and have the potential for other psionic traits. I made a mistake tackling the Ghost the first time: I started trying to build to a Ghost concept instead of tackling the highlights and leaving as many points as possible for customization, ("Bare Bones") which was my original intention. I'll be attempting to fix that in a moment. Expect a second, stripped-down version shortly which should have enough points to make a proper mind reader out of him. I may even include it by default.

As for your request, as a matter of fact I am hoping to tackle the Zerg, and the Protoss as well, to the best of my ability. If you don't mind staying tuned, I can do the Zerg right after finishing the Terrans. I aim to please! :)

Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Terran Ghost v2: Starcraft II for MnM

Postby Xarathos » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:29 pm

Terran Ghost
"You called down the thunder, now reap the whirlwind."

PL 6, 90 pp

Abilities:
STR 3/1, STA 2, AGL 1, DEX 1, FGT 5, INT 0, AWE 0, PRE 0

Powers:

Psionicly Gifted: Psionic Awareness (Mental), Danger Sense (Mental): 2 pp
Your Mind is an Open Book: Mind Reading 2: 4 pp

Equipment: 55 points worth:

- Hostile Environment Suit: 35 ep
    Life Support Systems: Immunity 10 (Life Support), 10 ep
    - Powered Servos: Enhanced Strength 2: 4 ep
    - Ghost Armor: Protection 3, Impervious 5: 8 ep
    - Fail Safe System: Feature 1: Suit degrades on death of the operative. Some contain a modification that destroys the body as well. 1 ep
    - Cloaking Device: Concealment 4 (All visual): 8 ep
Helmet:
    - Lens Construction:
    - Magnification Lenses: +5 perception bonus over distance, 1 ep
    - Flash Goggles: +5 equipment bonus versus visual Dazzle effects caused by bright light. 1 ep
    - Comm System: As Commlink, 1 ep
    - Chronometer: Time sense, 1 ep
- C-10 Canister Rifle: 20 ep
    Ranged Damage 5, Penetrating 3, Improved Critical 3 (17-20), Suppressor (Subtle 1), Targeting Scope (Improved Aim): 18 ep
    - Built in GPS, Built in Flashlight: 2 ep
Advantages:
Equipment 11, Ranged Attack 6.

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+5), Athletics 4 (+7/5), Deception 4 (+4), Expertise: Black Ops 4 (+4), Expertise: Tactics 4 (+4), Insight 4 (+4), Intimidation 2 (+2), Perception 2 (+2), Stealth 4 (+5), Vehicles 2 (+3)

Offense:
Offense: Init +1, Unarmed +5 (Damage 3), C-10 Canister Rifle +7 (Ranged Damage 5).

Defense: Dodge 7, Parry 7, Fort 5, Tou 5/2, Will 5.

Totals:
Totals: Abilities 20 + Advantages 17 + Defenses 16 + Powers 6 + Skills 17 = 76
14 pp unspent

Tradeoffs: Toughness -1/Defenses +1, +1 Atk, -1 DC
[/quote]

A second attempt at the Ghost because I'm already unhappy with the first one: this one uses the same equipment as the first attempt, but layers it on top of a different base, leaving more points to spend for the player. This time I took the Soldier from the back of the DCA book and just added a few things, bumping him up a PL at range while I was at it. With 14 points, there's enough to make him a good melee combatant, add a few weapons, make him/her a stronger telepath, boost Will defense, or anything else - but this is a solid baseline, and I'm much happier with it.

EDIT: Made a minor tweak based on the unit lore, replacing the night vision goggles with an underslung flashlight on the rifle. Additional ranks of equipment could be used to grant both or change the configuration at the discretion of the player. Additionally, 1 ep could be allocated to a laser targeting device for specific missions - this is for special occasions only, when the Ghost gets to call in a nuke . . . :D

EDITS: Tweaked a few minor details, mainly reordering the skills and cleaning up a little bit of the style here and there. Credit goes to Murkglow.
Last edited by Xarathos on Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Xarathos' Builds: Terran Medic: Starcraft II for MnM

Postby Xarathos » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:22 am

Terran Medic
"Bein' a medic isn't too different from being a soldier. I just kill in reverse." –Petty Officer Lisa Cassidy

PL 6, 90 pp

Abilities:
STR 2/0, STA 2, AGL 1, DEX 1, FGT 2, INT 0, AWE 1, PRE 1

Equipment: 58 points worth, including:

- CMC - 405 Light Combat Suit:
    Armor Plating: Protection 6, Impervious 7: 13 ep
    Combat Shield: +2 Defenses, 4 ep
    Life Support Systems: Immunity 10 (Life Support): 10 ep
    Power Servos: Enhanced Strength 2: 4 ep
    Comm System: As commlink, tied into the network of that particular Terran faction - otherwise, effective range is 1 mile: 1 ep
    Mission Recorder: Feature 2, records audio and visual of every mission for later review, in case of death. 2 ep
    - A-13 grenade launcher (Ranged Burst Area Dazzle 4: 20 ep)
    - AE: C-7 Pistol (Ranged Damage 3, Penetrating 1: 1 ep
    - AE: Field Medical Beam: Ranged Healing 5: 1 ep
2 ep for equipment and upgrades

Advantages:
Close Attack 2, Equipment 12, Ranged Attack 6, Teamwork

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+6/4), Expertise: Tactics 4 (+4), Insight 4 (+5), Perception 4 (+5), Persuasion 4 (+5), Stealth 2 (+3), Treatment 4 (+4), Vehicles 4 (+5)

Offense:
Init +1, Unarmed +4 (Damage 5), Ranged +7 (DC +5 (Heal), Damage 3)

Defense:
Dodge 4/2, Parry 4/2, Fort 4, Tou 9/2, Will 2.

Totals:
Abilities 16 + Powers 0 + Advantages 21 + Skills 15 + Defenses 4 = 56 pp
Tradeoffs: Toughness +2/Defenses -2,

Notes: Arguably the most important part of any infantry squad, the Terran frontline medic makes her MnM debut. According to lore, the medical troops do, in fact, carry a weapon, despite it not being used in the game, so I made it an alternate equipment. Medics, unlike many of the terran troops, are mainly volunteers; in this they are more similar to Ghosts than to the other units, as Ghosts are rarely former criminals; However, a prerequisite to becoming a Ghost is a memory wipe. If they were criminals, they don't remember.

Medics HAVE been known to snap and murder ungrateful Marines, however, and such medics usually are "rehabilitated" into the combat forces.

Click the image for source. :)

EDIT: Cleanup. Tweaked Advantages and skills and adjusted equipment slightly based on Murkglow's edits. The biggest thing, as before, was reordering things, correcting math, and removing redundant points of Impervious.
Last edited by Xarathos on Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Re: Xarathos' Builds: Terran Medic: Starcraft II for MnM

Postby Xarathos » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:03 am

Terran Reaper
"I like you. That's why I'm gonna kill you last."

PL 6, 90 pp

Abilities:
STR 5/3, STA 2, AGL 1, DEX 1, FGT 2, INT 0, AWE 0, PRE -1

Equipment: 55 ep

- CMC - Reaper Combat Suit: 36 Ep
    Armor Plating: Protection 5, Impervious 5: 10 ep
    Life Support Systems: Immunity 10 (Life Support): 10 ep
    Power Servos: Enhanced Strength 2: 4 ep
    Comm System: As commlink, uses faction network - otherwise, effective range is 1 mile: 1 ep
    Mission Recorder: Feature 2, records audio and visual of every mission for later review. 2 ep
    Jetpack: Flight 3, 6 ep
- Dual P-45 Scythe Gauss Pistols: 20ep
    - Dual Wield: Accurate, Split
    - Ranged Damage 5, Multiattack, Penetrating 2
    - AE: Depleted Uranium-238 Rounds: Ranged Damage 5, Penetrating 4
[b]Advantages:

Close Attack 2, Equipment 11, Favored Environment (Air), Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4, Teamwork

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+9/7), Expertise: Choose One 2 (+2), Expertise: Criminal 2 (+2), Expertise: Streetwise 4 (+4),
Expertise: Tactics 4 (+4), Intimidation 6 (+5), Perception 4 (+4), Stealth 2 (+3), Vehicles 2 (+3)

Offense:
Init +1, Unarmed +4 (Damage 5), Ranged +7 (Damage 5)

Defense: Dodge 5, Parry 5, Fort 4, Tou 7/2, Will 2.

Totals:
Abilities 16 + Powers 0 + Advantages 20 + Skills 15 + Defenses 12 = 63 pp

Tradeoffs: Toughness +1/Defenses -1

Notes:
From the StarCraft Wikia:

"Reapers are drawn from marine recruits that could not be successfully subjugated by neural resocialization. These resistant recruits tend to be among the most hardened of criminals, and are sent instead to the "Icehouse" in the Torus system to be inducted into the Reaper Corps. Reaper recruits are chemically altered to make them even more aggressive before being subjected to brutal training in close-quarters combat and the use of their jet packs."

Reapers are the meanest SOB's in the Terran infantry. They like using hit-and-run tactics using their jetpacks, harassing the enemy like mad. If I were drawing directly from the game, the jetpack would probably only grant leaping, but seriously, these guys were meant to FLY. I'd even go so far as to suggest giving them the Favored Environment: Flying advantage.

No one volunteers for the reaper corp except under duress, but if you can survive the 2 year service tour, you get out of prison free. Killing some zerg doesn't sound like a bad way to get out of prison early, right? Except for the small detail that during the first 5 years of the program, no one lasted more than 6 months. . .

EDIT: Dropped second point of Teamwork for the Favored Environment (Air) Advantage, giving the reapers a little more of an edge while flying.

EDIT: Tweaked a few more things based on Murkglow's edits while fixing some math. Modeled my new Gauss pistols on those in Murkglow's document because frankly I liked them better. :P
Last edited by Xarathos on Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Xarathos' Builds: Starcraft II for MnM: Zergling coming soon

Postby Xarathos » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:01 pm

Alright, that covers the current lineup of the Terran infantry. I'll be moving into Zerg builds next, after doing some preliminary research into the new units involved, but the first entry will be the most basic unit the swarm uses in battle; the classic Zergling. :)

Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Re: Xarathos' Builds: Zergling! Starcraft II for MnM

Postby Xarathos » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:49 pm

Zergling
"What ... IS that thing? Oh god, oh GOD!!!!" -Terran Marine, just before being swarmed by zerglings.

PL 5

Abilities:
STR 5, STA 2, AGL 3, DEX 1, FGT 2, INT –4, AWE 1, PRE 0

Skills:
Close Combat: Claws 3 (+7), Perception 5 (+6), Stealth 8 (+11).

Advantages:
Improved Initiative, Teamwork

Powers:
    Carapace: Protection 2,
    Heightened Senses: Senses 2 (Low-light Vision, Scent).
    Powerful Legs: Burrowing 4 (Speed -5): AE Speed 2, Leaping 2
    Travel in Pairs: Summon Duplicate 4, Heroic, Permanent : 4/rank
    Swarm Consciousness: Feature 2: mental link to own swarm, sensory link.
    Blade limbs: Penetrating 2 to strength
    Fast Healing: Regeneration 2

Offense: Init +7, Unarmed +7 (Damage 5).

Defenses: Dodge 6, Parry 6, Fortitude 6, Toughness 4, Will 3.

Totals: Abilities: 20 + Skills 8 + Advantages 2 + Powers 31 + Defenses 13 = Total 74 points.

Notes: The real beauty of the zergling is that they travel in pairs or packs - there's never, EVER just one. The real downside is that by themselves they aren't very bright, and in fact aren't any smarter than, say, a Lion. On the other hand, they're FAST, and the little buggers will surround and tear apart anything that gets in their way. Directed by an outside force, like a cerebrate, overlord, or someone like Kerrigan, and the zergling is incredibly deadly for its PL.

Upgraded zerglings push toward or into PL 6, but this one is a more typical specimen, as an underpointed PL 5.

Please note, this is not intended to be used as a PC . . . But if you had a good enough explanation, there's more than enough points left to bump it up a PL, raise the intellect, and so on.

EDIT: Forgot Regeneration the first time. How I could miss something that basic is beyond me . . . corrected it now.
Last edited by Xarathos on Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Roll Call”