Xarathos' Builds: Mass Effect Templates: Infiltrator (PL 8)

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.
Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Re: Xarathos' Builds: 3E Kingpin, Venom, Green Goblin (PL 11)

Postby Xarathos » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:15 pm

Oh, good GRIEF, yeah, that one actually made me laugh like mad. It's a new twist on the same old problem - first, Venom tries to cure him of life . . . now Anti-Venom wants to cure his powers . . . Even as a potential "ally" Brock is causing him grief. :D

I'll admit, I love the pseudo mystic explanations for Peter's powers thrown around by Ezekiel a few years ago, but I also like that they don't forget the radiation element in Earth-616 proper. It feels clever in new ways every time they use it again, even if it doesn't make much sense to science here on Earth-0, or whatever we're calling the real world these days . . . but yeah, that whole exchange had me laughing. :twisted:

Severance
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Severance » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:24 pm

Given Ezekiel's backstory with the mystic spider thing, there's potential there for more story. Spider-Man and a spider worshiping cult, anyone?

Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Postby Xarathos » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:32 pm

That would rock. I could totally get behind a story like that. :D

All this talk of Spider-man has me eager to finish my conversion of him for 3E, so expect that to be posted in the next few minutes sometime.

Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Xarathos' Builds: The Amazing Spider-Man! In 3E!

Postby Xarathos » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:40 pm

Xarathos wrote:You asked, and it was delivered. Ladies and gentlemen, fresh from his hometown of New York City, I bring you...

The Amazing Spider-Man!
"I dont suppose I could convince you to come up here and fight like a spider?"

PL 11, pp
+2Atk/-2DC, +2Def/-2Tgh

Abilities: 42 pp

Strength 2/8
Stamina 1/8
Agility 1/9
Dexterity 3/9
Fighting 5
Intellect 4
Awareness 2
Presence 3

Skills: 36 pp
Acrobatics 8, Athletics 8, Deception 10, Technology 8, Expertise [Chemistry] 8, Expertise [Physical Sciences] 6, Perception 8, Expertise [Photography] 4, Insight 8, Stealth 8, Intimidate 4, Close Combat: Unarmed 4, Ranged Combat: Web Shooters 4

Advantages: 49 pp
Inventor, Equipment 1, Benefit 1 (Deception based on Intelligence), Close Combat 5, Acrobatic Bluff, Chokehold, Accurate Attack, Rapid-Strike: (Uses Strength bonus as an Inherent Array, AP: Autofire Unarmed Strike 4), Hide in Plain Sight, Evasion 2, Elusive Target, Power Attack, All Out Attack, Defensive Attack, Improved Defense 2, Ricochet 2, Teamwork, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Improved Initiative 2, Improved Trip, Instant Up, Prone Fighting, Redirect, Ultimate Effort: Dodge, Daze (Bluff), Connected, Taunt, Benefit: Ambidexterity, Great Endurance, Fearsome Presence 4, Stunning Attack, Sneak Attack, Fearless, Defensive Roll 1, Fast Grab, Skill Mastery: Acrobatics, Skill Mastery: Athletics

Offense:
Unarmed +14 to hit, DC +8
Web shooters +13 to hit, DC +9

Defense: 18 pp
Dodge: 9 + 4 = 13
Parry: 5 + 6 = 11
Toughness: 8 + 1 = 9
Fortitude: 8/+1 + 5 = 13
Will: +2 + 7 = 9

Powers: 121 pp

Doin' Whatever a Spider Can:
- Is He Strong? Listen, Bud - He's got Radioactive Blood: Enhanced Strength 6; Enhanced Strength 1 (Limited: Lifting only); Leaping 3; Super-Movement 2 (Wall Crawling 2); Enhanced Agility 8, Enhanced Dexterity 6, Enhanced Trait: Dodge 4, Enhanced Skill: Acrobatics 8, Athletics 8; Enhanced Stamina 7; Speed 1; Spider Sense: Super Senses 1 (Danger Sense - Mental), Enhanced Feat: Uncanny Dodge: 77 pp

Web Shooters: 55 pp traits, Removable -11: 44 pp
2 pp traits unspent
- Web Parachute: Flight 1 (Gliding); 1 pp
- Catches thieves, Just like flies: Snare 9 (PF: Split Attack, Tether); 29 pp
    AE: - Here's web in your eyes: Dazzle 9 (visual, opaque web); 1 pp
- Can he swing from a thread?: Super-Movement 1 (swinging, web line); 2 pp
- Web is stronger than steel: Move Object 10 (web line); 20 pp

Equipment:
Mini Tracer, Camera, GPS Receiver, Flashlight, Cell Phone

Complications: Guilt (Deaths of loved ones; Uncle Ben, Aunt May, Gwen Stacy), Significant Other (MJ), Low Finances, Nemesis (J. Jonah Jameson), Enemy (Norman Osborn, Eddie Brock, sizable rogues gallery), Responsibility (MJ, Daily Bugle), Reputation, Secret Identity, Radioactive Blood

Abilities 42 + Skills 36 + Advantages 49 + Defense 18 + Powers 121 = 266

Notes:

:arrow: Spider-Man comes in, as I expected, as an over pointed PL 11 - he's been around the block enough times that he's got a lot of depth and breadth to his abilities, but the fact is that Captain America would sill give him trouble in a stand-up fight - especially if he's got his shield.

:arrow: One thing I deliberately avoided doing was giving him the Luck feat, because as we all know from the comics, Parker is ANYTHING but lucky. However, anyone running Pete in a fight should feel free to stunt off that snare array for diverse effects like Create Object (Probably with independent and slow fade), Slow Fall, or even glide, based on things that ol' webhead has done in any number of issues - but not so often that I see them as inherently 'powers'.

:arrow: This version of Peter is currently mourning the loss of his Aunt May, but on the bright side his identity is still (mostly) secret (thanks to Dr. Strange), and he's got MJ to comfort him through his time of loss. He won't be mourning forever.

Spider-man 3E, with a few more Silver Age perks. Yes, I liked the web-parachute and other stunts he pulled back then, and hey, real spiders have been known to do similar things. . . it's possible. :D It's also easy enough to cut from the sheet if it bothers you. Suggestions on power stunting stand as they are, Dazzle and Snare are used as per the sample powers from the Hero's Handbook, and I tried to clean up and refine a few things here and there as I went. He's still pretty expensive, but then again, he's a long standing solo hero responsible for much of a city much of the time. He SHOULD be expensive.

Still, I might come back later and try to trim a few more things down. I dunno.

Tactics: It's pretty clear from the comics what most of his tactics are going to look like. Most of the time, Spidey is going to be running with Accurate Attack and/or Defensive Attack dialed up - he tends to pull his punches a lot, especially when dealing with street level foes. He'll combine that with his Rapid Strike in melee and the occasional sneak attack. Against stronger foes . . . well, let's just say that creativity pays big dividends, and Spider-man isn't afraid to exploit the Extra Effort rules. He couldn't BEAT the Hulk, but he could certainly keep him occupied if he uses his head. Granted, that would probably just make Hulk mad . . .

EDIT 7/20/10: Fixed his strength total; my initial conversion was based more on points spent, and failed to take into account the actual values on the table. Extra strength for lifting is, as it turns out, redundant now. I'll probably have to go fix Venom and Green Goblin now, too. . .

EDIT: Corrected a few more minor errors, changed up his advantages list slightly (better optimization for melee for one thing), dropped his strength by 1 and added a rank of Strength for Lifting only, cut two ranks of Ricochet and added Skill Mastery for Acrobatics and Athletics. Currently debating reducing the rank of his Fearsome Presence, or cutting it entirely. I'm not sure there's anything that he's done in the comics that he can't do with just an Intimidate check.
Last edited by Xarathos on Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:28 am, edited 3 times in total.

Severance
Zealot
Zealot

Re: Xarathos' Builds: The Amazing Spider-man! In 3E!

Postby Severance » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:56 pm

Sweet Spidey build. You and I see eye to eye on a lot of his stats, that's for sure. Also, keep sticking with that parachute thing. I've never seen him use it too much, but I always give Spidey the web-boxing gloves. Your parachute makes your build unique and memorable I think.

Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Postby Xarathos » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:15 am

Thanks, Severance. I'm glad you like it. :)

Any preference on what I should do next, or should I just keep working back through the thread?

Severance
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Severance » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:18 am

Personally, I'd like to see the old Sinister Six for 3e. That's if you aren't getting worn out on Spider-Man builds. I'd love to see classic Scorpion. Getting kinda tired of Mac as Venom.

Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Postby Xarathos » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:25 am

Sounds like a worthy challenge... and this thread could use some more villains... :twisted:

I'll start research tomorrow, and hopefully get something posted. For now, though, it's after midnight here, and unlike Batman I must sleep. :)

BARON
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Postby BARON » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:52 am

unlike Batman I must sleep.

i didn't sleep last night and i feel fine. so this is what it's likes to be batman. :shock:

Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Postby Xarathos » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:12 am

If anyone would know, it's you, Baron ;) I saw your playtest with Batman vs Joker. Very nice stuff. Always nice to have you in my thread, welcome, welcome. Pull up a chair and have some cookies. :D

Doctor Octopus is currently in the works, so that should be posted in awhile. I'm currently having fun tinkering with those limbs of his . . .

Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Xarathos' Builds: Sinister Six part 1: Doctor Octopus 3E

Postby Xarathos » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:47 am

So, most pressing requests are for the original Sinister Six, plus Mac Gargan as the Scorpion.

Alright, for my run on the Sinister Six, let's kick things off right with their founder - actually the founder of several later incarnations of the group as well. Once widely respected for his mastery of nuclear physics, now feared the world over, I give you the legendary, the deadly, the one and only . . . Doctor Otto Octavius! Or, perhaps I should say. . .

Doctor Octopus
"Oh, god. . . quick, hide the schoolgirls!"

PL 11
Abilities: 62 pp

Strength: 1/11
Stamina: 4
Agility: 4/8
Dexterity: 4/8
Fighting: 4/8
Intellect: 6
Awareness: 5
Presence: 3

Offenses:

Defense: 25 pp
Toughness: 4 + 4 = 8
Fortitude: 4 + 6 = 10
Dodge: 4/8 + 6 = 14
Parry: 4/8 + 6 = 14
Will: 5 + 7 = 12

Skills: 27 pp
Technology 8, Expertise: Nuclear Physics 12, Acrobatics 4, Athletics 4, Intimidate 8, Insight 6, Investigate 6, Perception 8, Close Combat: Tentacles 3, Ranged Combat (Thrown): 3

Advantages: 32 pp
Power Attack, All Out Attack, Accurate Attack, Defensive Attack, Eidetic Memory, Inventor, Improved Throw, Improved Pin, Fast Grab, Leadership, Fearsome Presence 4, Defensive Roll 2, Tough 2, Connected, Contacts, Minions 6 (90 pp), Equipment 5, Master Plan, Benefit: Ambidexterity

Powers: 82 pp

Super Intellect: Enhanced Advantage: Eidetic Memory, Quickness 4 (Mental Tasks Only): 3 pp

- Nuclear Manipulation Harness with Tentacles: 79 pp
Extra Limbs 4, Projection, Reach 5 (25 ft): 13 pp
Linked: Enhanced Strength 10, Multiattack; AE - Wind Attack: Limbs spinning like a giant fan: Move Object 10 (Close, Area (Cone) Limited Direction (Away); AE - Get away from me!: The Doctor's tentacles grab and throw anyone near him away: Move Object 10 (Close, Burst Area, Selective, Limited Direction (Away): 32 pp;
Linked: Enhanced Dexterity 4, Enhanced Fighting 4, Enhanced Agility 4, Enhanced Athletics 4, Enhanced Acrobatics 4: 28 pp
Feature: AI (The arms have a rudimentary intellect which is capable of performing preprogrammed actions in the event that Otto loses control. In the event of him losing consciousness, the arms are programed to act to preserve his life); 1 pp
Super-Movement (Wall-Climbing 2): 4 pp
Senses: Radius Visual, Extended Visual (Cameras in Limbs): 2 pp

Equipment:
Various hideouts and hidden workshops, as well as occasional guns.

Complication:
    Light Sensitive: Almost always is seen wearing thick sunglasses.
    Enemy: Spider-man
    Known Supercriminal: Wanted by the authorities, but then again this is a given for most big bads, isn't it?
    Pride: "I couldn't have been wrong! It was working, wasn't it?"
    Super-Villain's Ego: Compelled to gloat about how "feeble" his foe is and how "inevitable" their defeat is before moving in for the kill.

Total: Abilities 62 + Defense 25 + Skills 27 + Advantages 32 + Powers 82 = 228 pp

Notes:
In case anyone is wondering, the whole "Limbs spinning like a giant fan" thing is straight from the Marvel Wikia; it's official. Silver Age tactics at work! But if that descriptor doesn't do it for you, switch out the Wind attack for an area attack with the tentacles where he grabs and throws people and things away from him rapidly, or just cut it entirely. Either way, you'd probably add the Selective extra in that case.

In more recent times, Doc Ock has been shown using his tentacles over great distances while they were separate from his body. If that's what you're going for, I'd probably buy them as a Sidekick, Minion, or Construct of some kind with a communication link between them. Effective distance is supposed to be about 900 miles. You'd also probably apply the Removable flaw to his tentacle harness.

I added some minions, because Doc Ock is typically a Big Bad as often as not, and will often have a few "little people" helping him out so he can focus on the more important things. Naturally, they're expendable. Additionally, I threw in Equipment to pay for hideouts and such.

Doctor Octopus, as stated above, is the original founding member of the Sinister Six, and has brought together several incarnations of the group in an effort to defeat Spider-man. It's almost overkill, really, and if they were ever really capable of fighting as a team then it might have worked. Naturally, the rest of the team spent so much time bickering over who would be the leader ("ME!", "no, ME!" "You FOOLS!" Etc) that Spider-man was able to get the drop on them individually.

EDIT: Dropped the extra lifting strength to fit him closer to where I want him in my benchmarks, based on the new chart.
Last edited by Xarathos on Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Xarathos' Builds: Sinister Six part 2: Mysterio 3E

Postby Xarathos » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:47 pm

Moving through the original lineup of the six, we next have what is probably the nastiest illusionist in all of Marvel Comics . . . especially if you've ever read Old Man Logan, for whatever that's worth. And yet he has one of the silliest outfits of all time. Is that fishbowl really supposed to be menacing? Still, he must have been doing something right: In 2009, he ranked as the 85th Greatest Comic Book Villain of all time. Hey, he made the list! That's impressive, right? :)

Mysterio
"So soon, Spider-Man? I didn't think you'd be in such a rush – to face your final Waterloo! Or do you have to rush because you rent that corny costume by the hour?"

PL 11
Abilities: 68 pp

Strength: 2
Stamina: 4
Agility: 5
Dexterity: 3
Fighting: 5
Intellect: 5
Awareness: 6
Presence: 4

Offenses:
Close (Unarmed) 7, DC +2
Perception Ranged Illusions, DC 11

Defense: 22 pp
Toughness: 4 + 4 = 8
Fortitude: 4 + 5 = 9
Dodge: 5 + 5 = 10
Parry: 5 + 5 = 10
Will: 6 + 7 = 13

Skills: 38 pp
Expertise: Special Effect 8, Expertise: Acting 4, Expertise: Chemical 8, Deception 8, Insight 8, Perception 8, Technology 8, Stealth 4, Intimidation 4, Persuasion 8, Athletics 4, Acrobatics 4,

Advantages: 32 pp
Inventor, Contacts, Connected, Equipment 4, Minions 6, Close Combat 7, Trance, Favored Environment (In front of a camera), Assessment, Daze (Deception), Fascinate, Taunt, Well-informed, All Out Attack, Defensive Attack, Improved Critical (Gloves), Power Attack, Takedown

Powers: 108 pp

Mysterio Costume: 135 traits, Removable -27 = 108 pp

- Master of Illusions: 100
Illusions 11, All Senses, Area (Burst), Selective, Resistible by Fortitude (6/rank): 66 pp
Linked Array:
- Perception Damage 11: (3/rank): 33 pp
    AE: Hypnosis: Perception Affliction 10 (Resisted by Fortitude; Entranced, Compelled, Controlled), Extra: Insidious 1, Subtle 2: 1 pp

Immunity 1 (Own Powers): 1 pp
Protection 4: 4 pp

- Morph 3 (Any humanoid) (Resistible by Fortitude): 12 pp
    AE: Concealment 5 (Normal Visual Senses, Spider-Sense)

Spring-loaded boots: Leaping 2: 2 pp

Gloves: 16 pp traits
- Acid Spray: Close Damage 8, Linked Weaken (Toughness) (Objects Only) 4, Reach 2: 14 pp
- AE: Electrical Blast: Close Damage 8, Reach 6 (30 ft): 1 pp
- AE: Knockout Spray: Affliction (Fortitude: Fatigued, Exhausted, Asleep) 10, Reach 2: 1 pp

Equipment:
Tranquilizer Gun, hideouts.

Complications:
    Dorky Glass Helmet: I'm pretty sure there's a fish in there with him. Villains may mock.
    Enemy: Spider-man, J. Jonah Jameson
    Super-Villain's Ego: Can't . . . stop . . . monologuing . . .
    Secret: It's easier to fight Mysterio if you know that you're fighting Mysterio.

Total: Abilities 68 + Defense 22 + Skills 38 + Advantages 32 + Powers 108 = 268

Notes:

What we have here is Spider-man's answer to Batman's Scarecrow, though not so much in the sense of, "This guy is innately scary," as "this guy will use the contents of your underdeveloped skull to drive you batshit crazy."

This is supposed to be Quentin Beck, and it does a fair job of capturing the way I've always seen him. Get him in a fist fight where you know what's going on, and he'll go down sooner or later (but DON'T underestimate him). Give him time to set things up to his own advantage, fighting you from a distance using his illusions and traps and whatever effects he's set up in the environment, and he'll have you tearing each other's throats out. Going off of the way he was originally presented, his illusions are produced by a hallucinogenic gas, hence the 'resistible' flaw; this also applies to his morph effect. He's a one trick pony, but it's a really GOOD trick, and he can use it in a lot of creative ways. If everything goes according to his plan, you'll never realize who you're actually fighting. If you do . . . well, hope you can beat him before it doesn't matter anymore.

Mind control isn't far off from what he's capable of; in this case, the descriptors involved would involve giving someone the extra "nudge" they need to believe in the illusion and act as he wants them to. I'd suspect that something like that was involved in Old Man Logan; create an illusion, combined with Insidious mind control, and the subject is almost guaranteed to act in the manner you hoped. Drop the illusion at the end, and show them exactly what they just did. . . brutal. It may be more appropriate for later versions of Mysterio, however.

My favorite touch, heh, was the use of Favored Environment; if that's not applicable to an actor, I don't know what is. And we all know Mysterio is a total ham. Most of the time, his hideouts will likely be old movie studios, or done up to look like them, and there will be a camera somewhere. :D Granted, he's also a big fan of amusement parks, but . . . it just seemed fitting. I also added boxing to his advantages because it's such a staple in Hollywood; if you don't know how to throw a good punch, it's a pain to make it in anything these days.

I should note that he's somewhat sub-par defensively, primarily because of the whole "relies on illusions" thing. He's nasty in close, and he's got reach, but if he doesn't stack things in his favor Spidey will win, and he'll have something new to be mad about.

Mysterio should be a load of fun for a GM as a Villain, if only because he gives you the excuse to pull out the most cornball villain dialog you could possibly want and have it be in character; blame it on the B movies he was probably in. Throw in a touch of just plain taunting people like mad, and, well . . .

Go away, or I shall be forced to taunt you a second time!

vitruvian
Henchman
Henchman

Re: Xarathos' Builds: The Amazing Spider-Man! In 3E!

Postby vitruvian » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:02 pm

Xarathos wrote:Strength 2/9
- Is He Strong? Listen, Bud - He's got Radioactive Blood: Enhanced Strength 7; Enhanced Strength 8 (Lifting Only) -

So, Strength 9 would let him lift 12 tons, the plus 8 for lifting only boosts that to 17, for 3,200 tons? I must be misunderstanding something.

Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Re: Xarathos' Builds: Sinister Six part 2: Mysterio 3E

Postby Xarathos » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:06 pm

Do'oh. -facepalm- No, you're not misunderstanding, I am. My bad. I STILL haven't quite got the hang of the new table of measurements. I'll drop the extra strength. Thanks for pointing that out. His max lifting strength should let him lift close to 12 tons, and in 2E I needed Super-Strength to make up the difference, while it appears that in 3E I don't. Bonus.

That's what I get for doing a literal conversion, instead of double checking the chart first . . . I've adjusted his villains somewhat to hit above or below him, changing the point totals to fit.

vitruvian
Henchman
Henchman

Re: Xarathos' Builds: Sinister Six part 2: Mysterio 3E

Postby vitruvian » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:35 pm

Xarathos wrote:Do'oh. -facepalm- No, you're not misunderstanding, I am. My bad. I STILL haven't quite got the hang of the new table of measurements. I'll drop the extra strength. Thanks for pointing that out. His max lifting strength should let him lift close to 12 tons, and in 2E I needed Super-Strength to make up the difference, while it appears that in 3E I don't. Bonus.

That's what I get for doing a literal conversion, instead of double checking the chart first . . . I've adjusted his villains somewhat to hit above or below him, changing the point totals to fit.

I'd even say make him Strength 8 (6 tons) and let his lifts in excess of 10 tons be examples of extra effort.

Return to “Roll Call”