Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

Xarathos' Builds: Mass Effect Templates: Infiltrator (PL 8)

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.

Xarathos' Builds: Mass Effect Templates: Infiltrator (PL 8)

Postby Xarathos » Fri May 14, 2010 7:56 pm

Alright, it's about time I actually posted some of my own builds here instead of just reading about everyone else's. I was going to come up with a witty way of introducing myself, but I fell flat - suffice it to say that I've been reading here awhile, loved what I've seen, and would like to thank everyone here for their examples. The Roll Call forum has given me a great deal more understanding of what to look for when I make a character, so to everyone here, big thanks.

There will be very little, if any, holding back in this thread where the abilities of the icons are concerned: they've been around long enough that they'll have a lot more experience than a PC at the same power level, and so 15/level will largely be thrown out.

Thanks for listening, and enjoy your stay!

Co-Conspirators:
    Executive Editor: Murkglow

Index

Champions of Westcrown:
Completed so far:
    Alexander the Shield Warrior
    Cassandra the Arcane Archer
    Skylar the Mage
    Emily the familiar

To do:
    Devon the Spellsinger
    Lywen the Wildshaper

DC Comics:
Completed:

Playable Batman (PL 10)
Playable Superman (PL 10)

To do:
Playable Wonder Woman (PL 10)

Other Conversions:
Jedi Template
Lightsaber Templates

Original Characters:
Baljo Dalom, Jedi Knight
Dark Jedi #134

2E Builds:

Marvel Comics
Heroes:

Villains:

DC Comics:

3E Builds:

Marvel Comics:
DC Comics:
[Coming Soon... ]

Fantasy Builds:

Class Templates:
Arcane Archer

Dungeons and Dragons 4e Conversions:

Videogame Conversions:
- Starcraft 2:
Terrans:
Zerg:
Protoss:

Web Series:

Red vs Blue

Houserules:

Now indexed (at least partly) for your convenience.

I also take requests; as long as I'm familiar with the source material, I'm happy to make the attempt. I need the practice. :D
Last edited by Xarathos on Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:56 am, edited 127 times in total.
Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Re: Xarathos' Builds: Champions of Westcrown

Postby Xarathos » Fri May 14, 2010 8:08 pm

Alexander

Core Concepts: Super Martial Artist, Shield Fighter, Healer/Chi master. Consider most powers to have the Chi or Training descriptors, or both.

PL 6 (90 pp)

Str 16
Dex 13
Con 14
Wis 13
Int 11
Cha 12

Attack +3 (+5 Ranged Shield, +4 Melee, +6 Melee Shield)
Defense: +2 (+4 Dodge)

Saves:
Fortitude 2 + 2
Will 2 + 1
Reflex 2 + 1

Feats:

Attack Focus 1 (Melee)
Dodge Focus 1
Stunning Attack
Attack Specialization 1 (Shield)
Equipment 1
Power Attack,
Accurate Attack,
Defensive Attack,
Improved Defense,
Improved Critical (Shield),
Interpose,
Acrobatic Bluff,
Sneak Attack 1
Veteran Fighter (See Warriors and Warlocks 20),
Improved Trick
Trance

Skills
Acrobatics 8
Diplomacy 4
Sense Motive 4
Knowledge (Strategy and Tactics) 4
Notice 4
Climb 6
Intimidate 4
Notice 4
Knowledge (Theology and Philosophy) 4
Stealth 4
Survival 4
Ride 2

Powers:

Flash Step: 3pp (Mecha and Manga 103)

Shield Fighter (offense):
@ : Shield Throw (Blast 3, Mighty 1, Split Attack, Ranged Disarm, Ricochet 2, Limited: Reduced Range 1 (Same as Thrown - 5 increments maximum)) 8pp
AP: Shield Strike (Strike 3, Autofire (Powerful Blow descriptor), Improved Sunder, Mighty)

Heightened Metabolism (Immunity 3 (Aging, Poisons, Diseases) (Flaw: Half effect to all -1) 2pp)

Chi Mastery:
Heal 4 (2/rank)
AP: Substitution 4 (Mecha and Manga)
AP: Sacred Palm-Strike; Strike 4, Alternate Save (Will)

Shield: Device 1 (Easy to lose), Indestructible
[Shield 3, Deflect 1 (All Ranged Attacks)]

Equipment: Masterwork Scale mail: +4 toughness, Subtle

Drawbacks:
Focus (Shield Fighter Array; any shield. -1)

Complications: Honor, Personal Code, Nemesis, Patriotic

Notes:
:arrow: This started out as my take on a medieval version of Captain America, but evolved somewhat until what you see here. Alexander is good with a shield (almost magical), and has a variety of specialized combat tricks stemming from his use of chi that put him into the realm of the super martial-artist.
:arrow: I should note here that I'm using the optional rule that allows one rank of Sneak Attack to exceed the normal damage cap.
:arrow: Credit where credit is due: I was deeply inspired by more than a few builds of Captain America on these forums, but I decided to put the offensive moves of the shield outside the device - the theory being that not just anyone could throw the shield, do any kind of significant damage, and expect to have it again at the end of their action. If I were doing a build of the actual Cap, I'd probably handle it the same way.
:arrow: Alexander is a champion of the people, though whether the people really want a champion is anyone's guess. Considering that his home town is run by an oppressive, devil-worshiping regime of Hellknights, though, they probably do. He knows just enough of his chi-bending martial artistry to be tricky. He can heal wounds by forcing a person's life energy to mend, can attack that same life energy with his palm strike, and occasionally manages to simply not be where the attack hit ("I'm sorry, that wasn't me. Just a log. Guess I can see how you'd get those confused.") He can also be blindingly fast on occasion.
:arrow: "Alexander" means "Defender of Mankind."

Possible Edits: put a limitation of some kind on the Flash Step
Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Re: Xarathos' Builds: Champions of Westcrown

Postby Xarathos » Fri May 14, 2010 9:28 pm

Continuing to round out the champions...

Cassandra

"I'm a mystery wrapped in an enigma wrapped in an AWESOME rack."

90 PP (PL6)

Str  10 +0
Dex  14 +2
Con 10 +0
Wis 13 +1
Int 11 +0
Cha 18 +4

Attack: +1
Defense: +2 (+4 dodge)
Will save: +2 (6)
Reflex: +2 (4)
Fortitude: +0

Skills (15pp): 56 ranks
Acrobatics 8
Disguise 4   
Perform (acting) 5
Knowledge (Arcane Lore) 4
Language (Infernal and Common)
Escape Artist 4  
Bluff 8  
Diplomacy 6
Intimidate 4
Notice 4
Knowledge (Local) 4
Stealth 8

Feats
Attractive (+4 to social skills when dealing with characters who are affected by my looks)
Distract
Fascinate
Dodge Focus 3
Equipment 3
Lucky 1 (Extra Hero Point)
Quick Draw 2
Force of Personality: Add Charisma to Will Save instead of Wisdom
Sneak Attack 1
Attack Focus (Ranged) 5,
Attack Specialization (Sword) 2, Attack Specialization (Longbow) 1
Ricochet 2, Ranged Pin, Cat's Feet, Move-by Action, Eagle's Vision.
Hide in plain sight, Evasion 2, Uncanny Dodge (Hearing)
Defensive Roll 2

Powers: 
Extra limbs 1 (prehensile tail) (Drawback: Power loss when morphed -1)
Flight 1 (Limited: Only in true form) (1/rank)

Arcane Archery 4; (Affects Insubstantial 2;) 10 pp
@ Drain Constitution 4: Arrow of Death (Extra: Linked [to longbow]; Ranged [+1])
AP: Hail of Arrows (adds area (burst) and selective attack extras to longbow)
AP: Hawkeye Shot: Add Range [Perception] and Alternate Save (Fortitude) to longbow. This is an insidious attack that's impossible to avoid.
AP: Willfire Strike: add Autofire and Alternate Save (Will) to longbow.
AP: Concealment 3 (Visual senses; Flaw: Passive [-1]; Extra: Independant [+0], Total Fade [+1], Slow Fade 2)

Enhanced Arrows: add Variable Descriptor [Any Magic] to Longbow: 2pp

Morph 2 (Humanoid females only): 2pp

Immunity 1 (heat): 1pp
Darkvision (Super-Senses): 2pp

Equipment: Masterwork Longbow (Blast 4, Improved Critical, Improved Range 3; 12)
Masterwork Leather Armour (Protection 3; 2ep)

Drawbacks:
Flight: power loss when wings bound, -1
Magic: Power Loss [When unable to speak, -1]
Drawbacks: Weakness [-1 on checks after a minute of exposure to symbols of the opposing supernatural faction, -3]

Combat: Attack (Longbow): +8 to hit, +4 damage DC.
Attack (Sword): +5 to hit, +4 damage DC.
Defense: 6/2 (2 +4 Dodge)
Toughness 4/2 (2 Studded Leather: Equipment)

Complications: Secret: Tiefling, devilish appearance, racism, (due to secret), escaped slave

Notes:
:arrow: First, credit where credit is due: the idea of linking magic effects to equipment for an Arcane Archer wasn't mine, there's another excellent arcane archer lurking in the Roll Call forum, but I can't remember who's it was. If anyone knows, let me know and I'll add the name here. I borrowed the idea, a couple of the spells, and the equipment block.
Also, this particular application of Variable Descriptor I picked up from Batgirl III's Green Arrow build.
:arrow: Cassandra is an escaped slave, and is lacking most of the abilities normally associated with Tieflings from Pathfinder - excuse me, Golarion - but since her escape she's picked up more than a few tricks to make up for it. She's downright dangerous with that longbow, and sneaky as anything. She works as an actress when she's not adventuring, and mostly tries to stay clear of the Hellknights.
:arrow: Sneak Attack lets her hit her damage caps without the help of the optional rule that Alexander invoked, and any advancement is probably going to focus on that rather than boosting magic or anything of that nature. Besides, that linked Con drain is just dangerous. So dangerous that I may have to cut it before she sees a playtest. . .
:arrow: Incidentally, the quote is from the webcomic Questionable Content. It just fit too well with Cassandra's sense of humor to pass up. :)
Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Re: Xarathos' Builds: PL 10 Batman

Postby Xarathos » Sat May 15, 2010 4:20 pm

Since every 'builders' thread needs at least one Batman... :D

I'm planning to design my own 'reboots' of the DC/Marvel characters, so any requests will be noted and dealt with in the order received - that is, as soon as I finish my Batman and the rest of DC's Trinity.

Soon to follow: Superman, Wonder Woman, and after that we'll see.

Without further ado...

Batman

"Best be good, boys and girls, or the Batman will get you..."
“I'm the goddamn Batman!”

PL 10 / 150 pp
+12 Atk | Max DC +8 | Toughness 8 | Defense 12

Str 18
Dex 14
Con 15
Int 16
Wis 14
Cha 14

Combat
:
Atk +6
Defense 10 + 12 (3 flat footed)
Fortitude 6 + 2
Reflex 4 + 2
Will 6 + 2
Toughness: 8 (6 flat footed)

Skills: 29
Computers 8
Acrobatics 8
Climb 4
Bluff 4
Intimidate 4
Profession (CEO) 8
Diplomacy 2
Investigate 8
Search 8
Knowledge (Life Sciences) 4
Craft (Electronics) 6
Craft (Mechanical) 4
Sense Motive 6
Knowledge (Popular Culture) 4
Craft (Chemical) 4
Knowledge (Strategy and Tactics) 6
Survival 4
Pilot 6
Drive 6
Languages (English, Spanish, Kryptonian, French, German)
Stealth 8

Feats:
Luck 1
Beginner's Luck
Jack of All Trades
Master Plan
Benefit: CEO of a major corporation.
Skill Mastery (Sense Motive, Acrobatics, Investigate, Intimidate)
Equipment 9 (Batmobile and Batcave)
Equipment 5 (Utility Belt)
Equipment 3 (Costume, Cape, and Cowl)
Attack Focus (Melee) 2, Attack Specialization (Unarmed) 2, All-out Attack, Defensive Attack, Elusive Target, Improved Block, Power Attack, Takedown Attack, Evasion 2, Dodge Focus 2, Grappling Finesse, Improved Grapple, Improved Pin, Improved Throw, Improved Trip, Uncanny Dodge (hearing), Veteran Fighter, Blind-Fight, Chokehold, Hide in Plain Sight, Sneak Attack 2, Startle, Stunning Attack, Takedown Attack, Split Attack, Ricochet, Defensive Roll 2

Equipment:

Costume, Cape, and Cowl:
Kevlar Reinforced Body Armor: +4 toughness; 4ep
Distracting Cape: +4 dodge: 4 ep
Cape Glide: Glide 1 (1 ep)
Comlink: 1 ep
Infrared Vision: 2 ep
Analytical Vision: 1 ep
Superstition Invoking Design: +2 to Intimidate and Stealth; 1 ep
Bat-gloves; modified for increased grip and traction. +4 to climb checks. 1 ep

Utility Belt:
Explosive Gel; Equivalent to Dynamite. 15 ep
AE; Rebreather
AE: Batarangs (See Boomerang stats)
AE: Sleep Gas Pellets
AE: Cutting Torch: Blast 1, Drain Toughness 1
AE: Smoke Pellets
AE: Stun Pellets
AE: Tear Gas Pellets
AE: Bat Shuriken
AE: Batclaw: Snare 3, Tether AP: Super-movement (Swinging)
AE: Batcuffs (As handcuffs)

45 ep for
Batmobile:

Batcave:

Powers:
None. This is the Goddamn Batman, remember? Batman doesn't really need them – it's part of his charm.

Notes:
:arrow: Whew. Barely managed to hit all his caps, avoided using any optional rules, and damn I wouldn't want to meet this Batman in a dark alley (Or any Batman, really). If I read him right, he's a solid goon sweeper, deadly enough one on one, and well trained and equipped enough to put him into the Big Three status. He's the best martial artist in the JLA, and while he doesn't have the raw power to match the other members, he's got the brains and skills to even any gap. What he isn't is a super scientist. He's well versed enough to maintain his own equipment, but if he ran into the need for a gadget, this isn't the Batman who'd build it himself. This is a Batman who'd already have ordered it last week - in bulk no less - from a Chinese manufacturer through one of several subsidiaries of Wayne Enterprises.
:arrow: I don't consider this the definitive Batman - for that, I'd direct you to Batgirl III's thread, where I learned just how useful the equipment feat can really be. This is my own take on the mythos. He's not definitive, but he's (hopefully) iconic.
:arrow: Beginners Luck accounts for the fact that Batman seems to just be good at everything just often enough to drive everyone crazy. Given the sheer size of his rogues gallery, he's got to be earning Hero Points left and right, so odds are he'll be able to afford to use it.
Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Postby nighthunter » Sun May 16, 2010 12:32 am

I've been considering adapting Council of Thieves to M&M 2E in a modern setting.

Seeing someone build M&M versions of Westcrown heroes is awesome.
"What a man does for pay is of little significance. What he is, as a sensitive instrument responsive to the world's beauty, is everything!" -H.P. Lovecraft
nighthunter
Hero
Hero

Postby Xarathos » Sun May 16, 2010 7:02 am

I'm so glad you like them! I was thinking I might do some other builds based on Counsel of Thieves, too - it's a pretty good story, and adapting it would be epic.

On the subject of Westcrown, here's our mage, and possible future member of the Pathfinder Society, Skylar:

Skylar

"There is a difference between us. We both looked into the abyss, but when it looked back at us - you blinked."
"Emily, kill."

PL 6, 90 PP

Atk: +4 | Dmg: +8

Str 11
Dex 14
Con 12
Wis 12
Int 16
Cha 12

Defenses:

Will 3 + 1
Fortitude 0 + 1
Reflex 3 + 2

Skills:
Concentration 6,
Knowledge (arcane lore) 10
Knowledge (Theology and Philosophy) +5
Notice +7
Intimidate +5
Slight of Hand +5
Craft: Weapons and Armor 4
Languages: Common, Draconic and Infernal

Feats:

Artificer,
Ritualist,
Sidekick 15 (Emily)
Attack Specialization 2 (Magic) +4 (See book of magic for precedent)
Luck 1 (2 hero points)
Cat's Feet
Benefit: Intelligence Based Caster: Add Intelligence instead of Strength to save DC of powers with the magic descriptor (Must be Mighty. To add Int to ranged damage, ranks in Mighty = points added. Perception, half ranks mighty.)
Accurate Attack (Sacrifice save DC for chance to hit; up to 5.)

Abilities:

"Prestidigitation" : Feature 1 (Extra: Affects Others) 2pp
As the cantrip from DnD 4e

Magic 6 (Wide) (3/rank), Affects Insubstantial 2, 'Mighty' 2: 22 pp
Base: Dark Magic Attack 6 (Plane of Shadow, Energy)
AP: Magic Missile! Autofire Blast 4 (Damage DC 6 from Mighty), force descriptor.
AP: Fireball 6 (Blast, Area, Limited: x/day)
AP: Mage Armor 4 (Force Field, Independent, Total Fade) Linked: Shield 2 (Uses teleport in a 'blinking' effect) (Independent, Total fade) Slow Fade 1 each (reclaims points from mighty)
AP: Teleport 4, Change Velocity, Change Direction, Move-By-Teleport, Progression 3
AP: Wall of Force 6 (Create Object: Force Fields)
AP: Slay Living 6 (Drain Constitution LINKED Strike 6)
AP: Evard's Spiked Tentacles of Forced Intrusion: (Snare 4, Area, Constrict, Limited: 5/day)

Communication Link (Emily, Mental): 1pp

Wayfinder: Device 1 (Easy to lose)
[Light 3 (Touch), Direction Sense, Enhanced Skills: Survival +2, Diplomacy +2]

Drawbacks:

Power Loss (Magic, when unable to speak or gesture) (-2 pp)
Power Loss (Prestidigitation, when unable to gesture) (-1 pp)

Notes:
Tactics: :arrow: Skylar's defense and toughness are both a big low, but for the most part he's trying to stay away from the main fight. Using create object to shape the battlefield, snare and fireball when enemies are grouped, autofire attacks to force them into corners, and teleport to escape if things get bad. Thanks to his Wide array, he can maintain two powers from the array at once. If he wants to deliver a touch attack, he'll get someone else to do it, which is where Emily comes in.
:arrow: The Wayfinder is a magical compass issued by the Pathfinder Society; this is my take on it.

Emily, Skylar's familiar, follows:
Emily

Concept: Sentient Construct, artificial human. Bonded to Skylar by multiple forms of magic.

PL 6, 75 pp
Str 16
Dex 14
Con --
Wis 12
Int 12
Cha 12

Combat:

Atk: 2
Def: base 10 + 3 dodge
Toughness: 2 (2 impervious)
Fortitude --
Reflex 0+2
Will 0+1

Skills:
Sense Motive 2
Intimidate 3
Notice 4
Investigate 3
Survival 3
Knowledge (Arcane Lore) 1
Craft (Applicable Skill) 4

Feats:
Interpose, Withstand Damage (Mecha and Manga), Attack Specialization (Variable Systems) 2, Dodge Focus 3, Power Attack, Eiditic Memory (Emily has a perfect memory; +4 to checks to remember things, can make any knowledge check untrained.)

Abilities:

Variable Power (Technomancy Descriptor); Emily has a wide variety of technological/magical subsystems, but she can't access all of them at once. In order to reallocate power to different portions of her weapons set, etc, she must spend a standard action. Maintaining power to her systems is a sustained effect. She has 10 pp to allocate between her powers at a given time. Usually at least one of those is super-senses, and the rest is either a blast, an enhanced strike of some kind, or a defensive power to make protecting Skylar easier. Non combat variations include enhanced skills or feats from her internal library. Mobility functions also exist, and she can allocate points to Super-strength if she desires. She's the perfect ally, able to pull out exactly what's needed most.

Commonly used powers:
Damage (Area: Cone, flame descriptor) 2/rank
Super-strength
Leaping
Density
Various super senses like magic awareness and the ability to bypass concealment.

Sample:
[10 pp:
Autofire Blast 3 (Balistic);3/rank
Super-Senses 1 (Analytical Vision: able to detect specific details about anything she can see, such as chemical composition, exact mass, etc.)
]

Construct Traits: 39 pp
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects)
Protection 2 (Impervious)
Regeneration 5 (recovery rate)

Familiar Traits: 2pp
Communication Link (Master): 1pp
Power Proxy 1

Notes:
-Background: Emily was, for all intents and purposes, an accident. Skylar was experimenting during his training, and stumbled on an old ritual for animating magical constructs, but didn't think much about it until a few years later, when he was accompanying his master on an expedition. They found, in an ancient tomb, a construct that was far beyond anything that had been created in the great war - it was perfectly human in form, but it was clear from magical inspection that it was artificial. The master would have left her there, but Skylar was captivated by the strange creature, and, remembering the old ritual he'd found, he rushed through it, combining it on the fly with the ritual bonding of master and familiar. When it/she woke, she knew nothing of her origins or her purpose, and accepted Skylar completely. He named her Emily, and it stuck.
-Emily appears completely human, but on some subtle level, isn't, and this confuses her sometimes. Physically, she resembles an attractive human woman with dark hair and gray eyes. She's usually distant with everyone but Skylar.
-In battle, Emily does her best to protect Skylar and listens to any orders he gives her mentally - he's the tactician of the two. Her primary objective will be to hit things and keep Skylar from getting hit. Power Proxy also lets Skylar use her as the origin point for his spells, which he's likely to do with Slay Living.
-She's also been known to apologize to monsters in the middle of fights. :D
-Emily operates on an unusual mix of science (alchemy?), magic, and a strange tie to the mystical force used by martial artists, Chi. Primary descriptor? "Technomancy."

Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Re: Xarathos' Builds: Jedi Template + Forms

Postby Xarathos » Sat May 22, 2010 8:41 pm

Xarathos does Star Wars: Since no one demanded it! In all seriousness, though, I've been discussing a Star Wars game with one of my friends, and so I got to poking around on the boards looking at some of the Jedi builds - especially Batgirl III's Playable Obi-Wan. But what I really wanted was a Jedi template - some common foundation to start with when building custom Jedi of my own.

So I decided to borrow a few things from the previous excellent builds and make my own brief:

Guide to Jedi

Customization: Feat selection, stats, skills, and additional alternate powers. Decision as to whether the greatest focus will be on lightsaber combat or on Force powers (Guardian/Counselor/Sentinel/etc if you're into those kinds of distinctions - Yes, I admit it, I've been playing KOTOR). Raise rank of lightsaber to replace Strike with Blast and possibly add Split Attack. Raise ranks in Dodge Focus and add one or more ranks of Weapon Specialization (lightsaber), or a more general attack bonus if you're playing a combat specialist (as opposed to the "mage with a blade" that is a Jedi Counselor.)

Add a second lightsaber and feats designed to allow for two weapon fighting (Ambidexterity, etc) or the like. Add Split Attack and Extended Reach to the lightsaber to represent a Double-blade. Add blaster pistols, space ships, season to taste...

And, of course, if you're playing that kind of game, add Benefit (Jedi).

Without further ado (because I've already given it too much), the template itself:

Basic 'Jedi' template: 57 pp.

Skills: Knowledge (Jedi Lore) 4, Sense Motive 4, Acrobatics 8

Feats: Improved Block, Dodge Focus 1, Defensive Roll 1, Luck 1, Acrobatic Bluff

Powers:
ESP 4 (Visual; Flaw: Action [Full, -1]) (2pp)

Super-Senses 10 (Detect 'Force' 4 [Mental; Accute, Ranged, Assessment]; 'Force' Awareness [Mental]; Precognition [Precognition has Flaw: Unreliable, -1], Danger Sense) (8pp)

Telekinesis 8 (Extra: Action [Move, +1]; ) (24pp)
+ 5 Alternate powers. Samples below:
AP: Illusion 10 (One sense type; Extras: Action [Move, +1], Duration [Free, +1]; Flaws: Phantasms [-1]; Power
Feats: Precise, Selective, Subtle [2]) (1pp)
AP: Mind Control 10 (Extra: Conscious [+1]; Flaw: Duration [Instant (Lasting), -1]; Power Feat: Subtle) (1pp)
AP: Trip 8 (Extra: Area [Cone, +1], Knockback [+1], Selective Attack [+1]; Flaw: Touch [-1]) (1pp)
AP: Boost 8 (all physical traits; Extra: Total Fade [+1]; Flaw: Personal [-1]) (1pp)
AP: Suffocate 8 (Extra: Range [Perception, +1]; Flaw: Action [Full, -1]) (1pp)

Device 3: Lightsaber (Easy to Lose, 15 PP): 9 pp
[Strike 4 (Extra: Penetrating [+1]; Power Feat: Improved Critical [2], Mighty [1]) (11pp)
AP: Corrosion 4 (Power Feat: Improved Critical [2], Mighty [1]) (1pp)
Telekinesis AP: Deflect 8 (energy attacks; Extra: Action [Free, +2]) (1pp)
Telekinesis AP: Deflect 6 (energy attacks; Extra: Action [Reaction, +3]) (1pp)
Telekinesis AP: Deflect 6 (energy attacks; Extra: Reflection [+1], Action [Free, +2]) (1pp)

Lightsaber Forms:
I'd build these as a 'martial stance' which can be AP'd to let the Jedi switch between them as the situation demands. This is the "Ultimate Refinement" variation, mainly available to Jedi who are actual students of an academy. Take a look at some of the combat styles for inspiration, with the emphasis on whatever the form primarily teaches. Probably a given Jedi shouldn't have more than 2-3 forms, but then again there's always an exception. Form I doesn't count.

The following forms should be built to around 10 points each. They may include a force power or two, as well as alternate powers for Telekinesis that fit the philosophy of the style.

Form I: "Way of the Sarlaac"
- This really isn't going to be discussed much, since it's the very, very basics and covered above. Mostly this is covered by having Improved Block on your character sheet and knowing the deflect powers attached to the lightsaber. The EXTREME fundamentals of lightsaber combat, and only once (to my knowledge) has anyone been described as a "master" of Form I.

Form II: Makashi "Way of the Ysalamar" or "Contention" - lightsaber versus lightsaber.
[Improved Block 1, Improved Disarm 2, Accurate Attack, Assessment, Sneak Attack, Weapon Bind, Defensive Attack, Break the Style, Ultimate Effort: Block]

:arrow: My own take on the form of combat favored by Count Dooku. In this case Assessment and Break the Style should use Knowledge (Jedi Lore) to evaluate the combat forms of other Jedi.

Form III: Soresu "Way of the Mynock" or "Resiliance" form: Pure Defense

Perfect Defense: Immunity to Ranged Attacks (Concentration): 5pp
AP: Untouchable: Immunity to Melee Attacks (Concentration)
Defensive Attack, Improved Defense 2, Accurate Attack

:arrow: This is my take on Obi-Wan's 'impenetrable' stance with very little emphasis on actually connecting any potent blow with your foe and a lot on avoiding getting hit with a little bit of harassment thrown in. Form III is all about not dying and annoying the shit out of your enemy until he lets his guard down (if he ever does.) A master of Form III cannot be killed in battle. . . but he might not be able to finish off his enemy, either.
:arrow: If he's using his immunity to a particular type of attack, then he's not attacking, either (unless he gets extremely creative with move-action telekinesis).

Form IV: Ataru "Agression"
[Leaping 2, Spinning 2, Telekinesis AP: Super-Speed 2 (Power feat: Rapid Attack and Wall-run), Extended Reach (Lightsaber), Distract, Move-by attack]

:arrow: This is the acrobatic ideal of lightsaber combat, leaping across the battlefield, spinning around, racing between foes, etc. It's intended to both look cool and shred mooks, but its biggest advantage is battlefield mobility. Fairly basic, though if anything it's under pointed. I had to give the Super-speed as an alternate power of Telekinesis in order to fit it in.

Form V: "Shien/Djem So", "Way of the Krayt Dragon", "Persererance"
[Power Attack, Veteran Fighter, Improved Block 1, Assessment, Break the Style, Accurate Attack, Weapon Break, All Out Attack, Takedown Attack
AP's of Telekinesis: Add Autofire to Lightsaber's Strike (1pp)]

:arrow: The first part of this form's philosophy is basically an even bigger emphasis on deflecting attacks back at your foe, combined with a strength-based melee approach. The first part is reasonably well covered by just having the reflect extra on your deflect power 'at the ready', as it were, and basically comes down to good roleplaying. The other feats represent the second part of this philosophy, which is intended to be a 'brutal' lightsaber form, but far less of an acrobatic one. Please note, the autofire power above is not meant to be used with corrosion.
:arrow: Veteran Fighter is a feat from Warriors and Warlocks that lets you trade in the DC bonus from a critical hit for some other effect, like stun, and it's one of my favorite feats in just about any genre of play where it makes sense.
:arrow: I couldn't decide whether Weapon Bind or Weapon Break made more sense for this form's philosophical leanings. Either could have worked well in that slot, but I mainly chose break to differentiate the style further from Form II.

Form VI: Niman, "Way of the Rancor", or "Moderation"

:arrow: As cool as the name is ("Rancor" tends to evoke a lot more fear than this form deserves) this is a polite way of saying that you have no specialty, Mr. Diplomat. It's supposed to be a balance between all the other forms, but let's get real: none of the jedi who were masters of this form survived that little battle in Episode II. Does anyone want to try and strike a 'balance' here?

If you do, just forget about using martial stances and pick a few parts of each form that are useful but de-emphasis the flashier side of things, and without the nifty "immune to attacks if I concentrate hard enough" thing from Form III.

Form VII: Juyo / Vaapad "Way of the Vornskr" or "Ferocity Form"
[Power Attack, Extended Reach (Lightsaber), Accurate Attack, Defensive Attack, All Out Attack, Rage, Takedown Attack, Assessment, Break the Style, Improved Block

:arrow: Mace "The Man" Windu's preferred Saber form, this is how it breaks down in my head. The "Rage" feat was added mainly because of how closely this form treads with the Dark Side, while it's otherwise a blend of forms V, IV, and II in its leanings.

And there's my take on it, though it's really just a preliminary stab. I'm not sure I differentiated between the forms enough, but it works well enough in my head - only way to be sure is to playtest it, though. I just hope I did the Jedi justice.

Comments appreciated and welcome, as always.
Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Re: Xarathos' Builds: Jedi Template + Saber Forms

Postby Xarathos » Mon May 24, 2010 1:29 pm

Some variations on the Lightsaber concept, with regards to Wookiepedia, presented here for those who like a little more variety in their Jedi. The numbers used for Deflect are assuming a Telekinesis rank of 8 with at least one extra (probably Action). If you're playing Jedi at a lower PL just scale the numbers down to match.

Standard Lightsaber:

[Strike 4 (Extra: Penetrating [+1]; Power Feat: Improved Critical [2], Mighty [1]) (11pp)
Telekinesis AP: Deflect 6 (energy attacks; Extra: Reflection [+1], Action [Free, +2]) (1pp)

This is the classic, single hilt variation of the lightsaber used in my template above, and borrowed originally from one of Batgirl III's fantastic Jedi builds. The thing I like about this particular design is that it covers all the bases - weaker, quick blows that still penetrate most/all damage resistance, powerful cutting abilities, and deflection capabilities. More importantly, those deflection capabilities are dependent on the character being, at minimum, a powerful telekinetic (if not a Force user specifically) in order to use it effectively. Anyone else might be able to use the basic stuff (hit things/cut things) but Average Joe (even Average Joe Hero) isn't going to be blocking laser bolts with it anytime soon.

Short Lightsaber:

:arrow: The Short Lightsaber is an offhand weapon designed specifically for use with Dual Saber technique. However, it also serves as the main weapon for certain vertically challenged Jedi (cough cough Yoda cough cough). Really, though, it demands little in the way of adjusted stats - just check what rules are being used for Off Hand Attacks, make sure you have the Ambidexterity feat, and re-fluff it slightly.

Double Lightsaber:

Device 4: Double Lightsaber (Easy to Lose, 20 PP): 12 pp
[Strike 5 (Extra: Penetrating [+1]; Power Feat: Improved Critical [2], Mighty [1], Split Attack, Extended Reach) (15pp)
AP: Corrosion 5 (Power Feat: Improved Critical [2], Mighty [1], Split Attack, Extended Reach) (1pp)
Feature: Off Hand Attack]

:arrow: This is how I'd build Maul's weapon of choice. Flexible, powerful, and dangerous in more ways than one. The Benefit feat there basically lets the weapon use the Off Hand Attack rules to make a second attack in a turn, with the second blade being treated as a light weapon. The slightly higher rank for damage lets the wielder take greater advantage of the Split Attack option. So, a double-bladed Jedi can either split damage to two targets at his full attack bonus, or (if he's Ambidextrous) make two attacks at a minus 2 each.

Lightwhip:
Device 3: Lightwhip (Easy to Lose, 15 PP): 9 pp
[Strike 4 (Extra: Penetrating [+1]; Power Feat: Improved Critical [1], Mighty [1]), Extended Reach 3, Weapon Bind (14pp)
Telekinesis AP: Deflect 7 (energy attacks; Extra: Action [Free, +2], Power Feat: Extended Reach 3) (1pp)

:arrow: The Lightwhip doesn't appear often, and usually in the hands of Sith, but there could be exceptions; Wookiepedia claims that Obi-Wan Kenobi built one and used it briefly (until it shorted out; Inventor feat?). In essence, it's the concept of a lightsaber applied to a whip instead. It's not as useful for cutting or deflecting blaster-fire, but it makes up for that with a much greater reach, and because it can wrap around an enemy's blade it's excellent for disarming. Mainly, they are used by practitioners who expect to combat lightsaber wielding foes and intend to confuse them - it's a tricky weapon, though a specialized one.

Edit: Forgot one. Though admittedly it has little to do with the Jedi . . .

Lightfoil:
Device 2 (Easy to Lose, 10 PP): 6 pp
[Strike 3 (Extra: Penetrating [+1]; Power Feat: Improved Critical [2], Mighty [1]) (9 pp)
AP: Corrosion 3 (Power Feat: Improved Critical [2], Mighty [1]) (1pp)

:arrow: Used by a particular group of nobles in a specific sector, the lightfoil has a lot in common with a lightsaber, but has a thinner blade and a generally lighter design. As such, it has none of the specialized requirements normally associated with a lightsaber, but is also ill suited for tasks such as deflecting blaster bolts and is slightly less powerful than the original. Leaving the Corrosion in was debatable, but otherwise it's a slightly scaled down lIghtsaber without the deflect powers offered - since they're usually used by non-jedi, they wouldn't add much anyway.

EDIT: Tweaked the Lightwhip to put it more in line with my mental picture, exchanging a rank of deflect for the ability to use it at the full length of the whip.
Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Postby Thorpacolypse » Mon May 24, 2010 8:32 pm

Interesting takes on the Jedi and Lightsaber templates, Xarathos. I'll be interested to see how you combine them into a full Jedi build.
Shop J-Mart!

Service with a smilie! :)
Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Location: Bloomington, IL (Summer home in the dark recesses of the human psyche...)

Postby Xarathos » Mon May 24, 2010 9:45 pm

Thanks, Thorpacolypse, that's a real honor coming from you. J-Mart has consistently been one of my favorite haunts on the Think Tank, and I admire your commitment to quality merchandise :D I'm going to try not to be intimidated for a minute and see what I can do about giving you a reason to check back.

Ah, here we are. A Jedi you want, so a Jedi you shall have! And an original character, no less!

Baljo Dalom

PL 10, 150 pp

Attributes:
Str 14
Dex 16
Con 14
Wis 18
Int 14
Cha 14

Saves:
Fortitude +2 + 2
Reflex 2 + 3
Will 2 + 4
Toughness 6 (2 flat footed)

Attack Bonus: 2 (+10 Lightsaber)
Defense Bonus: 6/1

Skills:
Knowledge (Jedi Lore) 5,
Sense Motive 4,
Acrobatics 8,
Pilot 4
Ride 3
Acrobatics 8
Diplomacy 4
Concentration 8
Craft (Electronics) 8
Craft (Mechanical) 8

Feats: Improved Block, Dodge Focus 4, Defensive Roll 4, Luck 3, Acrobatic Bluff, Inventor, Redirect, Move-By Attack, Attack Specialization 4 (Lightsaber), Equipment 1, Trance, Uncanny Dodge (Hearing), Evasion 1, Benefit: Jedi Knight,

Powers:

Super-Senses 10 (Detect 'Force' 4 [Mental; Accute, Ranged, Assessment]; 'Force' Awareness [Mental]; Precognition [Precognition has Flaw: Unreliable, -1], Danger Sense) (8pp)

Super-Speed 1 (Wall run, Rapid attack)

Immunity (Aging, Disease, Poison Flaw: Half effect to all) 2pp

AP: Illusion 10 (One sense type; Extras: Action [Move, +1], Duration [Free, +1]; Flaws: Phantasms [-1]; Power Feats: Precise, Selective, Subtle [2]) (1pp)
AP: Mind Control 10 (Extra: Conscious [+1]; Flaw: Duration [Instant (Lasting), -1]; Power Feat: Subtle) (1pp)
AP: Trip 8 (Extra: Area [Cone, +1], Knockback [+1], Selective Attack [+1]; Flaw: Touch [-1]) (1pp)
AP: Boost 8 (all physical traits; Extra: Total Fade [+1]; Flaw: Personal [-1]) (1pp)

Jedi Stance: 10 pp
Form II: Makashi "Way of the Ysalamar" or "Contention" - lightsaber versus lightsaber.
[Improved Block 1, Improved Disarm 2, Accurate Attack, Assessment, Sneak Attack, Weapon Bind, Defensive Attack, Break the Style, Ultimate Effort: Block]
AP: Form III: Soresu "Way of the Mynock" or "Resiliance" form: Pure Defense
[Perfect Defense: Immunity to Ranged Attacks (Concentration): 5pp
- AP: Untouchable: Immunity to Melee Attacks (Concentration)
Defensive Attack, Improved Defense 2, Accurate Attack]

Equipment:
Varies by mission, typically a comlink and rebreather.

:arrow: This is probably the first character I ever RP'ed back when I was first learning how to play a character in a dice-less (gah, I know, but it's how I learned), one-on-one roleplay with a more experienced game master. The man was a master of improvisation, and I'm reasonably sure that's the only reason it worked. This is the first time I ever tried to put numbers to him, and I think he's a lot cleaner on paper than he ever was in my head. Baljo was always, in my mind, the quintessential Jedi, and apparently survived a ridiculous number of years before leaving the Star Wars universe entirely to take part in a multiverse spanning story arc that I may have to do a writeup on eventually. He originated in the days of the Old Republic, though, and I've tried to be true to that here. Thus, we see the character at the midpoint of his adventures, a seasoned Jedi who has yet to take a Padawan.
:arrow: I should also note that Baljo would later develop some unusual philosophies about the nature of the Force and whether specific applications of it were 'of the dark side' or not. Here, though, I've kept him to the typically 'Light Side' complement of powers; his high use of the "Luck" feat (representative of his affinity for the Force as a whole) can easily stunt any number of other effects off the array, including Suffocate and Lightning.
:arrow: While I have here several key abilities from Form IV style outside his "Stance" array, I may move them into a stance proper to save on points and free them up for a few things I feel he's missing. As it is, though, he's mastered two of the seven stances, and adopted elements from the third into his overall repertoire. Conceptually, his combat style will vary a good deal depending on his opponent, but in general will be very acrobatic and mobile. When faced with a single combat, he'll likely use either Form II to overcome their saber technique or Form III to buy time, rendering himself untouchable until he finds the opportune moment.
Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Re: Xarathos' Builds: Name the Dark Jedi!

Postby Xarathos » Wed May 26, 2010 10:49 am

And here we have his nemesis... who unfortunately is not yet named. Maybe I should be holding a Name the Dark Jedi contest. . . but until then!

Dark Jedi #134

"Let's face it, we're all basically the same after awhile. Want to take over the galaxy, check, destroy the Jedi, check, kill you or lure you to the dark side... BIG ol' check."

PL 10, 150 pp

Attributes:
Str 16
Dex 16
Con 14
Wis 16
Int 12
Cha 16

Saves:
Fortitude +2 + 2
Reflex 2 + 3
Will 2 + 3
Toughness 7 (2 flat footed)

Attack Bonus: (+4 Melee, +6 Lightsaber, +6 Lightwhip)
Defense Bonus: 1 + 4 (1 flat footed)

Skills:
Knowledge (Sith Lore) 5,
Sense Motive 4,
Acrobatics 8,
Pilot 4
Ride 3
Acrobatics 8
Intimidate 4
Concentration 8
Craft (Electronics) 8
Craft (Mechanical) 8

Feats: Dodge Focus 5, Defensive Roll 5, Luck 1, Acrobatic Bluff, Ritualist, Attack Focus (Melee) 4, Attack Specialization 1 (Lightsaber), Attack Specialization 1 (Lightwhip), Equipment 1, Trance, Uncanny Dodge (Hearing), Evasion 1, Inventor, Ambidextrous, Rage

Powers:

AP: Illusion 10 (One sense type; Extras: Action [Move, +1], Duration [Free, +1]; Flaws: Phantasms [-1]; Power Feats: Precise, Selective, Subtle [2]) (1pp)
AP: Force Lightning: Damage 6 Linked Stun 6 (3/rank) Extended Range 2 each
AP: Suffocate 8 (Range: Perception, Action: Full)

Jedi Stance: 10 pp
AP: Form VII: Juyo / Vaapad "Way of the Vornskr" or "Ferocity Form"
[Power Attack, Extended Reach (Lightsaber), Accurate Attack, Defensive Attack, All Out Attack, Rage, Takedown Attack, Assessment, Break the Style, Improved Block
AP: Form IV: Ataru "Agression"
[Leaping 2, Spinning 2, Telekinesis AP: Super-Speed 2 (Power feat: Rapid Attack and Wall-run), Extended Reach (Lightsaber), Distract, Move-by attack]

Lightwhip:
Device 3: Lightwhip (Easy to Lose, 15 PP): 9 pp
[Strike 4 (Extra: Penetrating [+1]; Power Feat: Improved Critical [1], Mighty [1]), Extended Reach 3, Weapon Bind (14pp)
Telekinesis AP: Deflect 7 (energy attacks; Extra: Action [Free, +2], Power Feat: Extended Reach 3) (1pp)

Equipment:
Varies by mission, typically a comlink and rebreather.

Notes:
:arrow: Our Dark Jedi has a few tricks going for him. He's a dual saber opponent, wielding a Lightwhip in one hand and a more typical lightsaber in the other. If nothing else, he has a unique fighting style.
:arrow: A bit stronger, a bit more dedicated specifically to Lightsaber combat in general, with greater knowledge of the stances than our Jedi. I'm a little frightened by the numbers, really. What puts him at a disadvantage is lower ranks in Luck - of course, since he's PROBABLY an npc, more than likely he'd be invoking GM Fiat instead.
:arrow: Ritualist here uses Sith Lore for the check, and represents some of the more. . . unusual. . . aspects of what has been referred to in Expanded Universe as Sith Sorcery. Not necessarily Force related, but then again it might be. It generally behaves more like what one would expect from Magic, though, and I put it in here to let him stunt some of the crazier Dark Side powers used by the Ancient Sith.
:arrow: He might be a Darth proper, but he might not. Any ideas for original names would be greatly appreciated. :D
:arrow: I'll try and get some background information down for both characters later, and I'm hoping to get a Playtest up of the two sometime in the next couple of weeks. . . but I make no promises.
EDIT: Tweaked his attack bonuses when I realized that Attack Specialization was only benefiting the LightSABER, not the whip. Adjusted accordingly, giving him attack focus melee and a rank of specialization in each weapon. He's not up to caps, but then again, what Jedi is?
Last edited by Xarathos on Wed May 26, 2010 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Re: Xarathos' Builds: Name the Dark Jedi!

Postby Xarathos » Wed May 26, 2010 12:41 pm

I'm also willing to take a stab at converting any of the more iconic Jedi/Sith characters and posting them here. If there are any requests? Otherwise, I guess I'll just take a spin through Wookiepedia and see what catches my eye. . .

I'm sort of trying to mentally start piecing together my own composite setting, too, and the one thing I've got settled is that I really, really, REALLY want to include both Jedi and Superman on an Earth centered setting.

Plus, the concept of a Sith Lord wielding a lightsaber with a chunk of green or red Kryptonite as the focusing crystal is just too perfect to let go of. :D
Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Re: Xarathos' Builds: A break from Jedi; Playable Superman.

Postby Xarathos » Thu May 27, 2010 12:57 pm

Superman
"Thousands of people wear pajamas with my symbol on them, but it doesn't really make a difference to me, to who I am or what I do. If people respect me, look up to me, I'll honor that. If they don't, it doesn't matter. In the end, I'm just trying to do what's right, no matter what."

PL 10/150

Toughness 13 | Defense 7 | Damage 11 | Attack 9

Str 12
Dex 12
Con 12
Int 12
Wis 14
Cha 14

Fortitude: 0 + 13 = 13
Reflex: 2 + 1 = 3
Will: 2 + 2 = 4

Atk: 5 (+9 Melee)
Defense: +4 (+7 with Dodge Focus)
Toughness: +13 (10 Impervious)

Skills: 10
Craft (Writing) 4 (+5), Diplomacy 4, Gather Information 6, Knowledge (Current Events) 4, Notice 7, Profession (Farmer) 2 (+3), Profession (Reporter) 6 (+7), Search 4, Sense Motive 6, Languages: English, Kryptonian

Feats: Beginner's Luck, Benefit: It's Superman!, Contacts, Eiditic Memory, Leadership, Interpose, Dodge Focus 3, Quick Change, Equipment 2, Ultimate Toughness, Ultimate Will, Inspire, Power Attack, Attack Focus (Melee) 4

All powers have Source (Kryptonian Physiology)

Enhanced Strength 20
Enhanced Constitution 24

Impervious Toughness 10 (Drawback: Power Loss [against Magic; Common, Minor; -2pp]); 8pp
Immunity 9 (Life Support)

Wide Array
@ Super Strength 10, Extra: Wide, Feats: Dynamic, Super-Breath: 32 pp
DAP: Flight
DAP: Quickness
DAP: Heat Vision: Blast 10 (Distracting), Precise
DAP: Enhanced Senses: 11 pp (Dynamic)
Extended Hearing 2, Telescopic Vision (Extended Visual, 2pp), Microscopic Vision 2 (Cellular Level), X-ray Vision (Stopped by Lead) 4pp, Ultra Hearing 1

Truth, Justice, and the American Way (Duty and Responsibility complications yield no HP; 3pp)
Mild-Mannered Reporter (When disguised as Clark Kent, cannot spend HP; 2pp)
Normal Identity [When Exposed to Kryptonite; Uncommon Occurence; Major Intensity; 4pp]
Power Loss [All Powers; When Not under a yellow Sun; Uncommon Occurrence; Minor Intensity; 4pp]
Vulnerable [Magic; Common Occurrence; Moderate Intensity; 3pp]
Weakness [Kryptonite; Uncommon Occurrence; Major Intensity; 4pp]

Notes:
:arrow: Credit where credit is due: This version of Superman owes a lot to Batgirl III's exceptional PL 12 take on things, but I wanted to trim him down and make it a standard starting PL 10 to reflect him a bit earlier in his career for a PC character. If I were doing an NPC variant, I'd probably just use her version. Though on the other hand, I REALLY like the Wide Array... Among other things, I borrowed the list of Vulnerabilities and the Benefit feat from her build.

:arrow: All his powers (with the exception of his Enhanced stats and Immunity) are part of a Wide Dynamic Power Array, which means he has twice the normal number of points to allocate between powers, but can't raise any of them over 10 (2/rank); this means he could use any 2 of them at full strength simultaneously, or divide them up as needed, including the senses. I'm tempted to either either eliminate the distracting flaw on the blast or boost its range to Perception, I'm not sure.

:arrow: I know, his saves are a bit lower than I'd like them to be. Any suggestions on where I could trim things back in order to raise them a shade would be appreciated.
Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Re: Xarathos' Builds: A break from Jedi; Playable Superman.

Postby Xarathos » Fri May 28, 2010 7:41 am

Any requests? Or should I start doing NPC's from Counsel of Thieves?

Finally broke down and preordered my copy of the DC Adventures Hero's Handbook after reading The interview with Chris. The knowledge that they feature Superman at PL 15 makes me feel a bit better about my PL 10... Then again, it's deliberately incomplete.

Going on a trip this weekend so i may not post anything after today. We'll see.
Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Re: Xarathos' Builds: Return to Westcrown: NPC's!

Postby Xarathos » Fri May 28, 2010 1:30 pm

Shanwen Shanwen

PL ? / ~47 pp

Male human cleric of Asmodeus
LE Medium humanoid

Defenses:
Toughness +12 (+9 armor)
Defense 10

fort +4, Ref +1, Will +4

Melee
Heavy Mace +1 (+4 damage)
Ranged (Drawback: Requires Holy Symbol (-1))
@: Hellfire Control 3 Blast
AP: Hellfire Control 3 (Blast, Area (Cone), Reduced Range)
AP: Ring of Fire: Snare 3
AP: Heal 3
AP: Mind Control 3 (Limited to One Round)

Special Abilities
@ Light 2
AP: Fire Blast 2
AP: Negative Energy Burst (Close Area, rank 2)

TACTICS (original: alter to taste since his spells are now mostly at will.)
During Combat Shanwen clambers up to use his hellfire control (blast), but if a PC makes it to his carriage, he sweeps a flaming cone of hellfire against the largest group of foes. He only channels negative energy if he's surrounded by enemies and no Hellknights are in the area.

Morale
Shanwen is too proud to surrender, and fights until defeated.

STATISTICS
Str 12, Dex 8, Con 14, Int 14, Wis 16, Cha 10

Base Atk +0

Feats 2
Ritualist, Tough,

Skills 6
Heal +6, Knowledge (planes) +5, Knowledge (religion) +5,
Perception +3
Languages Common, Infernal

Equipment ?:

Potion of cure light wounds (Heal 2, one use only);
Other Gear: Full plate, heavy mace, wooden holy symbol, prison carriage key

:arrow: That's 47 pp not counting equipment. This is a cleric encountered in the early portions of Counsel of Thieves, but could easily be scaled up to better fit a later encounter - or tweaked to represent any random cleric of Asmodeus. Mostly, this is a direct conversion of the statblock from the mod, but with a few stats bumped up, feats changed, and a drawback removed. I'm still thinking he's not nearly challenging enough for PL 6 PC's, though - when we did the encounter, we were using PL 4 versions of our characters, Skylar one-shotted the poor cleric with a Slay Living. Unfortunately, he spent most of the rest of the encounter bleeding on the ground after the Hellknights started hitting him, but it was still a tremendous moment and his enthusiasm could not be dampened. Gave the other players a fairly easy time of it.

Still, I may bump him up to a full PL 6 with Minions if anyone shows any interest. He's a PL 6 defensively (albeit heavily traded to favor toughness, perhaps foolishly), but offensively he's weak as anything with a surprisingly low chance to hit with anything short of his area attack, and underdamaged to boot. Even with his mace.
Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Next

Return to Roll Call