Woodclaw's 2E - Hercules, Iolaus, Xena, Gabrielle

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.
JoshuaDunlow
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Woodclaw's 2E - Conan of Cimmeria, Elric of Melniboné

Postby JoshuaDunlow » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:35 am

You did a real good job on those builds there.

Woodclaw
Luminary
Luminary

Re: Woodclaw's 2E - Conan of Cimmeria, Elric of Melniboné

Postby Woodclaw » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:56 am

JoshuaDunlow wrote:You did a real good job on those builds there.

Thanks, I'm sorry foe not answering earlier, but I was out of town.
"Yes, it's a bloody flying alligator setting fire to my city!"

Sam Vimes (Guards! Guards!)

From a dark corner of my mind (my build's thread)
From another dark corner of my mind (my Deviantart page)

Woodclaw
Luminary
Luminary

#443 Red Sonja

Postby Woodclaw » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:00 am

By the Sword and Spell continues.

We are not rivals, save in your eyes. Conan has been my friend, my comrade, even my foeman at times, but neither he nor any man has been my lover!

Red Sonja
Sonja of Hyrkania

Power Level: 8 (110pp)

Abilities: STR: 16 (+3), DEX: 18 (+4), CON: 16 (+3), INT: 14 (+2), WIS: 16 (+3), CHA: 14 (+2)

Skills: Acrobatics 4 (+8), Bluff 4 (+6/+10), Climb 4 (+7), Concentration 2 (+5), Diplomacy 4 (+6/+10), Intimidate 4 (+6), Knowledge (arcane Lore) 2 (+4), Knowledge (current events) 4 (+6), Language 5 (Hyborian, Turanian, Zamorian, 2 at GM choice; native: Hyrkanian), Medicine 1 (+4), Notice 4 (+7), Perform (dance) 3 (+5), Profession (mercenary) 3 (+6), Ride 3 (+7), Search 3 (+5), Sense Motive 5 (+8), Stealth 2 (+6), Survival 3 (+6), Swim 4 (+7)

Feats: Acrobatic Bluff, Ambidexterity, Attack Specialization 1 (sword), Attractive 1, Benefit 1 (Literate), Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll 1, Dodge Focus 5, Endurance 1, Equipment 3, Follow-Up Strike, Improved Block 1, Improved Critical 1 (sword), Improved Disarm 1, Improved Initiative 1, Light Sleeper, Lionheart 1, Luck 1, Power Attack, Track, Twin Weapon Strike, Uncanny Dodge 1 (Visual), Weapon Bind

[Distracting Looks 3]

Powers:

Resilient (Immunity 2 [Environmental 2 (heat & cold)]; Flaw: Hlaf-Effect; 1pp)

Equipment: Bikini Chainmail (Protection 2 [Weak Point]; Distracting Looks 3; 4ep)

Sword (+3 slashing damage; crit 19; Mighty; 5ep)
Dagger (+1 piercing or slashing damage; crit 19; 10' [thrown]; Mighty; 4ep)

2ep in mission specific equipment

Combat: Attack +8 (+10 swords); Damage +3 (unarmed), or by weapon of choice; Defense +10 (+3 Flat-footed); Initiative +8

Saves: Toughness +4/+6 with armor (+3/+5 Flat-footed), Fortitude +6/+10 [Endurance], Reflex +6, Will +6/+10 [Lionheart]

Drawbacks: Involuntary Trnasformation (lose the favour of Scatach [uncommon, irresistible]; 4pp)

Abilities 34 + Skills 16 (64 ranks) + Feats 29 + Powers 1 + Combat 26 + Saves 8 - Drawbacks 4 = 110

Complications:
  • Fame/Reputation (the She-Devil): not only Sonja is one of the few warrior women of the Hyborian Age, she's also very recognizable
  • Many Suitors: many have tried to best Sonja and get her in their beds, the survivors are far less numerous
  • Obsession (revenge): for a long time Sonja's voyages were bent to find the man who raped her and butchered her family
  • Temper: while not a berserker, Sonja has avery hot and mercurial temper
  • The Hand of Scatach: the Red Godess saved and empowered Sonja, but her favour came with many strings attached

:arrow: Sonja has the distinct honor of being one of the few character added to the Conan mythos from a secondary author, that has grown into a fully recognizable icon (thanks in no small part to her [in]famous "armor").

:arrow: not much to say about the build, Sonja cover the opposite end of the combat spectrum respect to Conan, she's an agile scrapper instead of a walking tank. Still she can dish out some heavy damage by dual wielding.

:arrow: I choose to downplay her charisma a little because Sonja's temper tend to get the best of her.

:arrow: I prefered to use a Involuntary Transformation effect, instead of a Power Loss simply because the origin of Sonja abilities were a little cloudy, in a issue of "Savage Sword" it was stated that Scatach simply removed some blocks from Sonja's body and mind and thus the bulk of those skills were inborn.

:arrow: about the equipment, Sonja is much more constant than Conan (a necessity with a visual medium), she usually pack a sword and dagger alongside her "armor". About that, I choose to gave her the weak point drawback, instead of any other kind, because the lack of protection never seemed to be an issue on panel.

Woodclaw
Luminary
Luminary

Revised: Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser

Postby Woodclaw » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:22 am

By the Sword and Spell continues with a double update of two of my favorite characters ever.

Fafhrd the Red
Even a duke must butter up a king, and demigods the gods. We butter no one. We go our own way, chasing our own adventures -- and our own follies. Better freedom and a chilly road than a warm hearth and servitude

Power Level: 7 (105pp)

Abilities: STR: 18 (+4), DEX: 14 (+2), CON: 18 (+4), INT: 14 (+2), WIS: 14 (+2), CHA: 16 (+3)

Skills: Climb 4 (+8), Diplomacy 3 (+6), Disable Device 3 (+5), Disguise 2 (+5), Drive 4 (+6), Gamble 3 (+5), Gather Information 3 (+6), Handle Animal 2 (+5), Intimidate 4 (+7), Knowledge (streetwise) 4 (+6), Knowledge (theology & philosophy) 2 (+4), Language 6 (High Lankhmarese, Ilthmarish, Klesh, Low Lankhmarese, Mingol, Quarmallian; native: Northener), Medicine 2 (+4), Notice 4 (+6), Perform (singing) 4 (+7), Ride 5 (+7), Search 2 (+4), Sense Motive 4 (+6), Sleight of Hand 2 (+4), Stealth 4 (+6), Survival 5 (+7), Swim 4 (+8)

Feats: All-Out Attack, Ambidexterity, Chokehold, Defensive Roll 1, Diehard, Distract 1 (Intimidate), Dodge Focus 2, Endurance 1, Environmental Adaptation 1 (Frozen wastes), Equipment 3, Fascinate 1 (Perform), Fast Overrun, Improved Pin, Improved Sunder, Startle, Stunning Attack, Takedown Attack 1, Track, Weapon Break, Withstand Damage

Challenges: Accelerated Climb 1, Fighting Climb,

Equipment: Studded Leather Armor (Protection 2; 2ep)

Arsenal (Array; 11ep)
  • Greywand [Longsword] (+3 slashing damage; crit 19; Mighty)
  • Heartseeker [Poignard] (+1 piercing damage; crit 19; 10' [thrown]; Mighty)
  • Hand Axe (+2 slashing damage; crit 19; 10' [thrown]; Mighty)
  • Longbow (+3 piercing damage; crit 20; 30'; Mighty 4, Full Power, Lethal Only)

2ep in adventure specific equipment

Combat: Attack +6; Damage +4 (unarmed), or by weapon of choice; Defense +6 (+3 Flat-footed); Initiative +2

Saves: Toughness +5/+7 with armor (+4/+6 Flat-footed), Fortitude +5, Reflex +4, Will +5

Drawbacks: Low Wealth 1

Abilities 34 + Skills 19 (76 ranks) + Feats 25 + Powers 0 + Combat 22 + Saves 6 - Drawbacks 1 = 105

Complications:
  • Debt (to Ningauble of the Seven Eyes): not along after their arrival in Lankhmar both Fafhrd and the Mouser looked for the help and patronage of two rival sorcerers: Ningauble of the Seven Eyes and Sheelba of the Eyeless Face. As a result they became embroiled with the sorcerers rivalry for many years
  • Enemies (many): the two collected dozens upon dozens of powerful enemies over the years, including ppowerful wizards, an entire civilization of rats and the incarnation of Death itself
  • Fame/Reputation (Hero, Thief and Mercenary): Fafhrd and the Mouser are likely the most notorious pair of adventurers in the world of Newhon
  • Stubborn: Fafhrd can be horribly bull-headed and stubborn sometimes, which often is the source of many of his troubles
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

The Gray Mouser
Why did you have to turn up, you great lout? I was about to die heroically, or else slay in mass combat the seven greatest sword-rats in all of Lankhmar Below!

Power Level: 7 (105pp)

Abilities: STR: 14 (+2), DEX: 18 (+4), CON: 14 (+2), INT: 16 (+3), WIS: 16 (+3), CHA: 16 (+3)

Skills: Acrobatics 2 (+6), Bluff 4 (+7), Climb 3 (+5), Diplomacy 3 (+6), Disable Device 4 (+7), Disguise 2 (+5), Drive 1 (+5), Escape Artist 2 (+6), Gamble 3 (+6), Gather Information 4 (+7), Knowledge (arcane Lore) 2 (+5), Knowledge (streetwise) 3 (+6), Language 6 (High Lankhmarese, Ilthmarish, Klesh, Mingol, Northen, Quarmallian; native: Low Lankhmarese), Medicine 1 (+4), Notice 2 (+5), Ride 2 (+6), Search 4 (+7), Sense Motive 4 (+7), Sleight of Hand 3 (+7), Stealth 4 (+8), Survival 2 (+5), Swim 3 (+5)

Feats: Ambidexterity, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll 3, Dodge Focus 1, Elusive Target, Equipment 3, Improved Feint, Power Attack, Ritualist, Skill Mastery 1 (Bluff, Disable Device, Sleight of Hand, Stealth), Sneak Attack 1, Taunt, Twin Weapon Strike, Uncanny Dodge 1 (Visual)

Challenges: Accelerated Acrobatics, Perfect Balance

Equipment: Leather Armor (Protection 1; 1ep), Masterworks Lockpicks (+2 Disable Device checks; 1ep)

Cat's Claw [Dagger] (+1 piercing damage; crit 19; 10' [thrown]; Mighty; 4ep)

Arsenal (Array; 7ep)
  • Scalpel [rapier] (+2 piercing damage; crit 18; Mighty)
  • Sling (+2 bludgeon damage; crit 20; 40'; Mighty 2, Full Power, Lethal Only)

2ep in adventure specific equipment

Combat: Attack +8; Damage +2 (unarmed), or by weapon of choice; Defense +8 (+4 Flat-footed); Initiative +4

Saves: Toughness +4/+6 with armor (+2/+4 Flat-footed), Fortitude +4, Reflex +5, Will +6

Drawbacks: Low Wealth 1

Abilities 34 + Skills 19 (76 ranks) + Feats 25 + Powers 0 + Combat 22 + Saves 6 - Drawbacks 1 = 105

Complications:
  • Debt (to Sheelba of the Eyeless Face): not along after their arrival in Lankhmar both Fafhrd and the Mouser looked for the help and patronage of two rival sorcerers: Ningauble of the Seven Eyes and Sheelba of the Eyeless Face. As a result they became embroiled with the sorcerers rivalry for many years
  • Enemies (many): the two collected dozens upon dozens of powerful enemies over the years, including ppowerful wizards, an entire civilization of rats and the incarnation of Death itself
  • Fame/Reputation (Hero, Thief and Mercenary): Fafhrd and the Mouser are likely the most notorious pair of adventurers in the world of Newhon
  • Reckless: the Mouser tend to be quite reckless and is prone to hubris, which is another major source of trouble

:arrow: not much to say in the way of how these two are built: Fafhrd is pretty much Conan-light, while the Mouser is the archetype of the D&D thief. The character are obviously meant to work as a team covering each other lackings, which means that the rules of teamwork should be abused by the players.

:arrow: just one more note, in the incipit to his owrks Leiber often described the pair as the "greatest swrodsmen of every universe real or fictional", I decided to ignore that line for obvious reasons (PL20 swordsmen doesn't sound good to me) also I always pictured Newhon as alower PL world than the Hyborian Age so I lowered their PLs under Conan and Sonja. Probably a mixed setting version should have all of them as equals.

JoshuaDunlow
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Woodclaw's 2E - Conan, Elric, Sonja, Fafhrd & Gray Mouser

Postby JoshuaDunlow » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:52 pm

I loved Fafhrd, and Grey Mouser.

Vexous
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Vexous » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:39 pm

Sonja as attractive 1, but the bikini having distracting 3. Good call there. Thats exactly what the bikini is supposed to do.

Woodclaw
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Woodclaw » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:26 am

JoshuaDunlow wrote:I loved Fafhrd, and Grey Mouser.

Thanks a lot JD. Unfortunatly I'm closing the end of these builds pretty fast, unless someone has a suggestion.

Vexous wrote:Sonja as attractive 1, but the bikini having distracting 3. Good call there. Thats exactly what the bikini is supposed to do.

Thanks. I don't think that this can be built any other way.

But I have to be honest I hate chainmail bikini.

Gilliam
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Gilliam » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:42 am

That is a very nice Fafhrd & Grey Mouser and I like how you have included the Mousers training as a hedge wizard.

Another option could be John Carter of Mars.

Narsil
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Narsil » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:55 am

There's also Jirel of Joiry and Druss the Legend.
Narsil 2e
Narsil 3e

'Oil, an emergency? About time the people who run this planet of yours realize that to be dependent upon a mineral slime just doesn't make sense.'
-The Fourth Doctor, Terror of the Zygons

Woodclaw
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Woodclaw » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:50 am

Gilliam wrote:That is a very nice Fafhrd & Grey Mouser and I like how you have included the Mousers training as a hedge wizard.

Well I always figured that the Mouser vague recollection of wizardry is one of the key features of the character (why do you think that AD&D thievs could use scrolls).

Gilliam wrote:Another option could be John Carter of Mars.

Narsil wrote:There's also Jirel of Joiry and Druss the Legend.

Unfortunatly I'm not familiar with any of these characters, at least not enough to try to build them. I'll see if I can get some wiki fuel to try.

Narsil
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Narsil » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:05 am

For a character who's more public domain available, you could stat up Kull of Atlantis. Basically Conan's thematic predecessor, an earlier barbarian hero created by Robert E. Howard, vaguely inhabiting the same continuity but set thousands of years earlier. He's like a more philosophical Conan from what I can tell.

Beyond that, I'm afraid my interests in fantasy literature are mostly orientated towards Tolkien and his various successors in the field of high fantasy.
Narsil 2e
Narsil 3e

'Oil, an emergency? About time the people who run this planet of yours realize that to be dependent upon a mineral slime just doesn't make sense.'

Woodclaw
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Woodclaw » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:40 am

Narsil wrote:For a character who's more public domain available, you could stat up Kull of Atlantis. Basically Conan's thematic predecessor, an earlier barbarian hero created by Robert E. Howard, vaguely inhabiting the same continuity but set thousands of years earlier. He's like a more philosophical Conan from what I can tell.

Beyond that, I'm afraid my interests in fantasy literature are mostly orientated towards Tolkien and his various successors in the field of high fantasy.

Same as me, I usually gravite more toward Tolkien than Howard (mostly for philosophical reasons). My big gripe about Kull of Valusia is that he's basicly the same as Conan - of whom he's an ancestor - also my knowledge of the character is limited to the awful movie with Kevin Sorbo.
Still this gives me an idea.

Narsil
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Narsil » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:22 am

You could move on to adapt characters derived from the Tolkien high fantasy model, I suppose.
Narsil 2e
Narsil 3e

Woodclaw
Luminary
Luminary

#444 Geralt of Rivia

Postby Woodclaw » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:11 am

By the Sword and Spell continues.

Power, sex. Sex, Power. They both come down to one thing - ***deleted*** others

Geralt of Rivia

Power Level: 8 (118pp)

Abilities: STR: 20 (+5), DEX: 20 (+5), CON: 20 (+5), INT: 14 (+2), WIS: 16 (+3), CHA: 14 (+2)

Skills: Concentration 2 (+5), Craft (Alchemy) 4 (+6), Intimidate 5 (+7), Knowledge (arcane Lore) 4 (+6), Knowledge (current events) 3 (+5), Knowledge (streetwise) 3 (+5), Knowledge (tactics) 5 (+7), Knowledge (theology & philosophy) 4 (+6), Language 1 (1 at GM choice; native: Imperial), Medicine 1 (+4), Notice 4 (+7), Ride 1 (+6), Search 3 (+5), Sense Motive 3 (+6), Stealth 1 (+6), Survival 4 (+7)

Feats: Accurate Attack, Artificer, Attack Specialization 1 (Swords), Cunning Fighter, Defensive Attack, Dodge Focus 4, Equipment 2, Improved Initiative 1, Power Attack, Quick Draw 1, Takedown Attack 1, Track, Trance

Powers:

Witcher Physiology (Immunity 1 [Disease]; 1pp)
Witcher Senses (Super-Senses 5 [Accurate (normal hearing), Extended 1 (normal hearing), Low-Light Vision, Uncanny Dodge 1 (auditory)]; 5pp)
Signs (Array 6; PF: Alternate Power 4; Power Loss 2 [if unable to gesture freely]; 10pp)
  • Base Power: Igni (Ignite 6)
  • AP: Aard (Move Object 6 [heavy load: 1600 lbs]; Extra: Damaging; Flaw: Limited Direction [away])
  • AP: Axii (Mind Control 6; Extra: Duration 1 [Sustained]; Flaw: Range 1 [Ranged])
  • AP: Quen (Impervious Toughness 6; PF: Slow Fade 1 [1 minute]; Extra: Duration 0 [Sustained], Total Fade; Flaw: Fade)
  • AP: Yrden (Stun 5; PF: Indirect 1 [from below], Triggered 1 [proximity])

Equipment: Studded Leather Armor (Protection 2; Weak Point [no helmet]; 1ep)

Witcher's Arsenal (Array; 7ep)
  • Steel Sword (+4 slashing damage; crit 19; Mighty)
  • Silver Sword (+4 slashing damage; crit 19; Mighty)

2ep in mission specific equipment (usually extra weapons)

Combat: Attack +5 (+7 swords); Damage +5 (unarmed), or by weapon/power of choice; Defense +9 (+3 Flat-footed); Initiative +9

Saves: Toughness +5/+7 with armor, Fortitude +7, Reflex +7, Will +7

Drawbacks: Disability (Sterile [uncommon, minor]; 1pp)

Abilities 44 + Skills 12 (48 ranks) + Feats 17 + Powers 20 + Combat 20 + Saves 8 - Drawbacks 1 = 120

Complications:
  • Fame (the White Wolf): Geralt is perhaps the most famous (and recognizable) Witcher alive
  • Prejudice (Witcher): although Witcher had accomplished many great deeds, both nobles and commoneers are distrustful of them
  • Secret (Witchers' Lore): many powerful individual looks for a way to stole the Witchers' secrets, especially their mutagens and the means to produce them
  • Too Many Ladies: Geralt's former lovers seem to number in the dozens (or even scores) and some are quite jealous and/or powerful

:arrow: well, this is my last heroic fantasy build for the moment, more are in the works but they should take a me a little while. A word of advice I'm only familiar with the videogame version of the Witcher, so this build might be very inaccurate, in this case I'm sorry.

:arrow: overall Geralt is a very simple build, in terms of physical abilities he's pretty much Captain America in a fantasy setting. Aside from that not much to say he hit like a bastard, knew a couple of things about magic, occasionallly dabbles in alchemy and is horribly recognizable.

:arrow: I decided not to give Geralt a fully albino drawback like I did with Elric because it seem to rarely be a factor in his life (probably thanks to his Witcher's regenerative abilities), and more of a "fashion choice" from the original author.

:arrow: a little equipment note, the Witcher's swords are usually wielded with both hands, I'm not sure if it's possible even for a fully powered Witcher (aka one using some mutagen) to use them in a one handed grip.
Last edited by Woodclaw on Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:20 am, edited 3 times in total.

Narsil
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Woodclaw's 2E - Elric, Sonja, Fafhrd & Gray Mouser, Geralt

Postby Narsil » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:21 am

Elric seems to have been responsible for creating several entire generations of characters who can be described in terms as 'long white haired fantasy anti-hero/villain in a society that doesn't quite like him very much, mixing in swordplay and dark magic'. Each one with their given twist. Drizzt dual-wields and has a panther, Raistlin doesn't do much on the swordplay side at all and focuses purely on magic, Anomander Rake is seven feet tall and made of pure badarse, and Geralt of Rivia has the combined successful libido of James Bond and Captain Kirk. With about as much womanising as the former, and about as much care for his love interest's species as the latter.
Narsil 2e
Narsil 3e

Return to “Roll Call”