Eld's builds:Scimitar, Spirit Dragon, Zombies, Kirin, Amleth

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.
Earth-Two_Kenn
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Re: 1,584

Postby Earth-Two_Kenn » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:13 pm

Arthur Eld wrote:The original Champions build had a more mechanical set-up to represent ... that was needless bookkeeping.

And that ladies and gentlemen, is why I switched to DC Adventures after two dozen years playing Champions.
Over eleven hundred DCA/M&M Character builds at http://www.rcuhero.net

Crinos
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Eld's builds:Istvatha V’han Empress of A Billion Dimensi

Postby Crinos » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:03 pm

Yeah, Champions tends to have a tendency to make things a lot more complicated than they need to be.

Like how they handle shapeshifting. Its virtually impossible to make a shapeshifter in champions because you need to buy each potential result of shapeshifting as individual powers, as opposed to MnM, when you just get them as a variable pool of points for effects.

kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby kenseido » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:43 pm

Yeah, Shapeshifters were tough in Champions. I think most of builds did it as a Multipower with Growth, Shrinking, attack power to represent claws/teeth, and flight for wings.
-----------------------------
Kenseido's Menagerie of Characters

Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Postby Spectrum » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:21 pm

They put out a metamorph book for HERO 5E. Kinda surprisingly, its one of the thicker volumes in the series.

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arthur Eld » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:37 pm

Some things in Champions I found very easy to convert-but shapeshifting was not one of them.

I think Joe Otonga was one of the first sheets I looked at and just went "What is this?", as opposed to straight-forward builds like Dr. Destroyer or Firewing.

Crinos
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Crinos » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:15 pm

Arthur Eld wrote:Some things in Champions I found very easy to convert-but shapeshifting was not one of them.

I think Joe Otonga was one of the first sheets I looked at and just went "What is this?", as opposed to straight-forward builds like Dr. Destroyer or Firewing.

Which is a shame, since Otonga is an interesting character with a neat powerset.

And in Mutants and Masterminds his entire powerset gets boiled down to two powers: Shapeshift and affliction.

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arthur Eld » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:24 pm

Yeah pretty much. I have plans for Joey and Lugendu for the season finale of my Vanguard game, since i always liked the character, and in the Crinoverse he's connected to other characters like the Radical, Silver Hyena, and more.

Crinos
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Crinos » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:49 pm

Arthur Eld wrote:Yeah pretty much. I have plans for Joey and Lugendu for the season finale of my Vanguard game, since i always liked the character, and in the Crinoverse he's connected to other characters like the Radical, Silver Hyena, and more.

Yeah, I actually planned on doing an adventure during Avengers involving Otanga recruiting his own personal army of villains to take over Dakana, including among others Moses Magnum, M'Baku the Man Ape, and some other villains, but it never really happened.

Yeoman
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Yeoman » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:35 pm

Yeah, I've seen people go cross eyed trying to make a shapeshifter in Champions.

Even back when I knew the rules well enough I didn't even need the book to make characters I avoided making them.

M&M will always have my eternal thanks for just making it a simple power.

Earth-Two_Kenn
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Earth-Two_Kenn » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:52 pm

Building a shapeshifter under Champions (third edition) was fine. It was still okay under Champions/Hero (fourth edition). Under fifth edition it was nucking futz how complicated they made it. I have no idea how sixth edition handled it, but considering Lawyer Long's tendencies, I have to assume it became even more byzantine.

Would have stayed under fifth, except... M&M3 came along!!
Over eleven hundred DCA/M&M Character builds at http://www.rcuhero.net

catsi563
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Postby catsi563 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:14 am

the stupid thing and ironic really is that soup to nuts the champions version is effectively the same as the M&M version.

A pool of points that can be switched up to represent various forms. the complexity lay in the amount of flaws and extras that you had to put on it to bring the power into usability which was just math on an absurd scale half the time.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

The Litterbox

http://www.fanfiction.net/~catsi563

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arthur Eld » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:00 am

El Salto
PL 8 133

Strength 3, Stamina 3, Agility 4, Dexterity 3, Fighting 7, Intellect 1, Awareness 0, Presence 2

Powers
Bounce-Kicks Strength-based Damage 2, Improved Critical
Leapfrog Leaping 1

Spring-boots (Removable) 19
Boost Jump Leaping 3, Stacks
Pinball Attack Strength-based Damage 5, Selective Burst Area, Power Loss-must be in enclosed areas

Advantages: Agile Feint, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll, Equipment, Improved Defense, Improved Initiative, Language (English, base-Spanish), Move-by Action, Ranged Attack 4, Takedown

Equipment Armored Costume (Protection 2)

Skills: Acrobatics 11 (+14), Athletics 4 (+7), Close Combat (unarmed) 4 (+11), Deception 4 (+6), Expertise (criminal) 6 (+7), Insight 4 (+4), Investigation 3 (+4), Perception 5 (+5), Sleight of Hand 5 (+8) Technology 5 (+6), Stealth 11 (+15)

Offense
Initiative +8
Bounce Kicks +11 Damage 5

Defense
Dodge 10 (6), Parry 10 (3)
Toughness 6/5, Fortitude 7 (4), Will 7 (7)

Abilities 46+Powers 23+Advantages 13+Skills 31+Defenses 20=133

Complications
Prejudice Some people don't take El Salto seriously because of his condition.
Temper El Salto does not tolerate comments about his moustache, size, or anything else.
Motivation: Greed Robert wants the finer things in life and he doesn't want to work for them.
Secret His identity as Roberto Olivares.
Lothario El Salto seemingly cannot stop himself from hitting on any woman he comes across, even in the middle of a fight.

•All his life, Robert Olivares was mocked because of his dwarfism. It was hard for him to make friends, hard for him to even get a job, and so his bitterness towards society drove him to crime. His small size and natural agility actually made him very good at certain underhanded jobs, so he was soon in high demand as a thief-but he still felt like people thought less of him. He couldn't even be a great cat burglar because all the climbing was hard for him-so he developed spring boots to help his already impressive jumps get him wherever he needed to go. He became El Salto, the Leapfrog, not just another thief but something else, a figure that would be larger than any other thief, no matter their size.

•El Salto is basically Mexican Batroc with Dwarfism, but that's a cool enough concept by itself. In the Crinoverse, he teamed up with Batroc and his Brigade, before striking out on his own to prove he's no one's sidekick. Not really a violent guy, El Salto is still pretty handy in a fight, and has a neat little area attack to represent bouncing among his enemies. Not really a bad man, Roberto could be turned to the side of the angels if PCs are willing to give him a chance and make the effort-he'll be resistant because his inferiority complex has made him very sensitive and short-tempered, but it could still be a nice victory for the heroes without them having to just beat someone up.

HustlerOne
Zealot
Zealot

Re: Eld's builds:V'han, El Salto!

Postby HustlerOne » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:38 pm

Thanks Eld for all of these Champions builds. You kind of nearly converted all champions characters
(well at least the more famous ones). Which is quite a accomplishment.

I loved the champions universe setting. However, the Hero system was really convulated at least
compared to M&M. So converting these champions builds really helped out a lot of people.

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arthur Eld » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:21 pm

I'm just glad some people might find them of some use.

And there are still plenty more characters to be done, but I did try to hit most of the big name ones. I'm gonna do some more solo villains for a while, and then a few master villains like the Shadow Destroyer.

catsi563
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Postby catsi563 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:57 pm

How about the war machine Arthur? :mrgreen:
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

The Litterbox

http://www.fanfiction.net/~catsi563

Return to “Roll Call”