Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

Eld's builds:Scimitar, Spirit Dragon, Zombies, Kirin, Amleth

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.

Re: Eld's builds:Boone, Mentor, Liberty Lad, Nuclear Winter

Postby SquirrelLord » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:18 pm

Oh my Goodness. I've been waiting for someone to build the Freedom Force. So excited!
SquirrelLord
Collaborator
Collaborator

Postby FuzzyBoots » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:58 pm

Thorpacolypse wrote:
scc wrote:Great Freedom Force builds. I loved that game!

Me, too. Are the rumors true that there is a site where you can play it?

Oh, and nice build, Eld. :wink:

GoG.com has the sequel, Freedom Force vs the 3rd Reich. Steam has both games, including a "Freedom Pack" bundle deal.

Truly a shame the second game got such middling reviews (although I'll admit that I was very much with those angered by what I perceived to be a "dumbing down" of the interface and power creation). Plus, of course, them getting distracted by some silly game named Bioshock...
FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arthur Eld » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:03 pm

As someone who's never played the second FF game, the fact that it's on Steam is heartening news. The first one was hardly the best game I've ever played, but the genre made it so much fun i still love it.

Th rest of the FF are coming soon. Glad to see people enjoy the characters.
Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arthur Eld » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:58 am

Man O' War
PL 10 150

Abilities

Strength 8, Stamina 10, Agility 2, Dexterity 2, Fighting 8, Intellect 1, Awareness 2, Presence 2

Powers
Bermuda Triangle Snare 10, Accurate 31
Pressure Punch Strength-based Damage 4 1
Water Jet Blast 4, Linked to Ranged Affliction 11 (Resisted by Fortitude Dazed/Stunned) 1
Whirlpool Burst Blast 10 1
Ball Lightning Blast 12, Homing 1
Magnetic Harbor Sustained Immunity 15 (metal& electrical damage, limited to half effect) 1
Storm Bolt Blast 7, Accurate 3 1
Electrical Arc Strength-based Damage 1, Enhanced Advantage-Takedown 1

Kraken's Scales Protection 2, Limited against physical attacks 1
Flying Flight 2, Aquatic 5
Fish Man Immunity 2 (pressure, drowning), Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation-underwater) 4

Advantages: Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4, Startle

Skills: Expertise (fisherman) 5 (+6), Vehicles 3 (+5), Perception 3 (+5), Expertise (navigation) 5 (+6), Insight 4 (+6), Intimidation 7 (+9)

Offense

Defense
Dodge 8 (6), Parry 8
Toughness 12/10, Fortitude 10, Will 8 (6)

Complications
Disability Hank only has one eye, which can cause any number of problems.
Cold-blooded Due to his changed form, Hank is more vulnerable to attacks of the cold descriptor, which have their DCs increased by 50%.
Relationship Man O' War truly cares for his young sidekick, Sea Urchin

Abilities 70+Powers 48+Advantages 6+Skills 14+Defenses 12=150

•Freedom Force's gruff, outspoken teammate is Hank Waters, a former fisherman whose business was heading towards collapse. He and Sea Urchin gained their powers together, and fought crime as a duo before joining with the rest of the team. Apart from Minuteman, he's the oldest member, and it shows in his grouchy demeanor.

•I wanted to keep his powers in two separate arrays, one electrical, one dealing with water, but there was no way I was going to make points per PL that way, so I lumped all his offensive powers in one big array. He's got a lot of little tricks, but his bread and butter are his electrical attacks. Overall this is a build that can do a lot, and is a neat twist on the typical blasting paragon type.
Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Eld's builds:Mentor, Liberty Lad, Nuclear Winter, Man O' War

Postby Crinos » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:37 am

I read the Freedom Force tie in comics once upon a time, and I liked the characters a lot. Actually I have referenced the game several time in the crinoverse: For instance, Fortissimo was a Italian super soldier in WW2 (Mainly cause there are so few Italian WW2 villains.)
Crinos
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arthur Eld » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:41 am

I imagine most of the Freedom Force characters aren't around in the modern Crinoverse, if only because their adventures started in the mid 60s.

Of course some of them might have lasted 50 odd years for one reason or another-Mentor, Microwave, Eve, maybe even Minuteman.
Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Earth-Two_Kenn » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:42 am

You won't stop Man O'War!!!
Over eleven hundred DCA/M&M Character builds at http://www.rcuhero.net
Earth-Two_Kenn
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby HustlerOne » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:44 am

I loved Nuclear Winter from Freedom Force. He's such a classic Cold War Archetype. He even say's "Capitalist pig!" like all soviet loyalists do. His cold powers fit in very well since he's as cold as his russian motherland.
HustlerOne
Zealot
Zealot

Postby scc » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:51 pm

I liked both Freedom Force games they both had there strengths and weaknesses. I believe Freedom Force was one of the first super hero games that did not suck breaking a long tradition. I remember seeing that on G4. What really makes the first one great is the amazing mods like the Great Hunt and Suicide Squad. If you can beat Suicide Squad without cheating you are doing something. Though it is my favorite. Great dialogue. Get to play Deadshot and Sportsmaster among others. Great stuff.
scc
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Earth-Two_Kenn » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:32 pm

scc wrote: If you can beat Suicide Squad without cheating you are doing something. Though it is my favorite. Great dialogue. Get to play Deadshot and Sportsmaster among others. Great stuff.

I'll have to pass that along to Crusader/Saracen/NSNC.
Over eleven hundred DCA/M&M Character builds at http://www.rcuhero.net
Earth-Two_Kenn
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Arthur Eld » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:08 am

Alchemiss
PL 10 136

Abilities

Strength 1, Stamina 2, Agility 3, Dexterity 3, Fighting 4, Intellect 2, Awareness 1, Presence 3

Powers
Mystic Flight Flight 4, Flaw-Levitation 4
Level Headed Enhanced Will 4, Limited to mental effects 2
Arms of the Goddess Force Field 5 5

Sorcery (Array, 29 points)
Arcane Blast Blast 12, Accurate, Improved Critical 26
Blessed Aegis Sustained Immunity 10 (magical effects, limited to half effect) 1
Aloft Burst Area Move Object 10, Limited direction-upwards, Flaw, cannot hold objects 1
Alteration Perception Affliction 9 (Dazed/Defenseless/Transformed, Flaw-uncontrolled transformed states) 1

Advantages: Attractive, Daze (Deception), Defensive Roll 2, Diehard, Improved Initiative, Luck, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 3, Taunt

Skills: Acrobatics 3 (+6), Athletics 4 (+5), Close Combat (unarmed) 2 (+6), Deception 6 (+9/+11), Persuasion 6 (+9/+11), Perception 4 (+5), Insight 4 (+5), Stealth 2 (+5), Expertise (pop culture) 2 (+4), Expertise (magic) 4 (+6), Investigation 4 (+6), Expertise (science) 4 (+6)

Offense
Initiative +3
Unarmed +6 Damage 1
Arcane Blast +8 Damage 12

Defense
Dodge 11 (8) Parry 11 (7)
Toughness 9/4/2, Fortitude 5 (3), Will 12/8 (7)

Abilities 38+Powers 40+Advantages 10+Skills 22+Defenses 25=136

Complications
Untrained Alchemiss' powers are still somewhat beyond her understanding, so accidents and unexpected results can occur from her spells.

•Alchemiss was kind of a tricky write-up, since some of her powers (and some powers from Freedom Force in general) don't translate very well to 3E. However, I think I got the gist of it right. I'm also fine with her being underpoints, because for a PC type, its better to be under than over. Its important to note that her magic isn't really magic-its more like reality control due to the powers Energy X has given her. That's why she doesn't have any magic-related Advantages and a fairly low Expertise (magic). Still, her stuff functions almost the same as magic, so she's a prime candidate for power-stunting.
Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arthur Eld » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:02 pm

Nobody
PL 11 201

Abilities
Strength 4, Stamina 4, Agility 5, Dexterity 5, Fighting 13, Intellect 2, Awareness 3, Presence 3

Powers
Costume (Removable) 21
Hi Tech Armor Protection 4
Light-Refracting Concealment 2 (normal visual)
Sonic Disruptors Affliction 8 (Dazed&Vulnerable/Stunned&Defenseless/Incapacitated), resisted by Fortitude, Improved Critical 2), Reach 2
Direct Sonic Blast Damage 8, Reach 2
Sensors Senses 2 (Darkvision)

Advantages: Assessment, Close Attack, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll, Equipment 4, Evasion, Improved Critical (unarmed), Improved Initiative, Instant Up, Languages (English, base-French), Move-by Action, Ranged Attack 8, Seize Initiative, Takedown

Equipment Knives (Strength-based Damage 2, Improved Critical), 17 points unspent

Skills: Acrobatics 8 (+13), Athletics 10 (+14), Close Combat (unarmed) 1 (+15), Deception 6 (+9), Expertise (headhunting) 14 (+16), Insight 10 (+13), Intimidation 12 (+15), Investigation 14 (+16), Perception 13 (+16), Stealth 10 (+16), Sleight of Hand 8 (+13), Technology 8 (+10), Vehicles 4 (+9)

Offense:
Initiative +9
Unarmed +15 Damage 4
Sonic Disruptors +14 Damage 8/Affliction 8
Knives +14 Damage 6

Defense
Dodge 13 (8), Parry 13
Toughness 9/8/4, Fortitude 8 (4), Will 10 (7)

Abilities 78+Powers 21+Advantages 24+Skills 59+Defenses 19=201

•Nobody here is a character from Batman & Robin, AKA Morgan Ducard, son of Henri Ducard, who trained Morgan and Bruce Wayne together. Since its a fairly recent storyline, I don't want to spoil anything for anybody, but I will say that I liked Nobody as a character-cool visual, cool story-so I wanted to do a quick write-up of him.

•I used Batman as a framework for building Nobody, but toned him down in some aspects (as he's not quite on Batman's level), but his suit gives him several advantages-concealment first among them, but his weapons put his damage output high enough to be a threat to Batman (who is defensively only PL 11). He has a kind of nerve-strike that can either insta-kill or paralyze somone, but I left i out of the build because M&M isn't really built for one-shot one kill attacks. Trying to make it model how it worked in the comics would just be wonky and mess with his caps. He seems to rely more on his blades and sonics anyway. The sensors are a guess, really.
Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arthur Eld » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:10 pm

The Iron Skull
PL 11 152

Abilities

Strength 10, Stamina 10, Agility 0, Dexterity 0, Fighting 6, Intellect 0, Awareness 1, Presence 2

Powers
Cyborg Protection 6, Impervious Toughness 5, Immunity 3 (cold, critical hits) 16
Metal Fists Strength-based Damage 2 2
Metal Legs Movement 2 (Surefooted) 4

Advantages: Assessment, Connected, Diehard, Daze (Deception), Improved Defense, Improved Critical (unarmed) 2, Fast Grab, Leadership, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 10

Skills: Deception 10 (+12), Persuasion 6 (+8), Vehicles 6 (+6), Expertise (gangster, AWE-based) 10 (+11), Investigation 11 (+11), Intimidation 9 (+11), Perception 6 (+7), Expertise (Streetwise) 12 (+12), Insight 10 (+11), Stealth 2 (+2)

Offense
Initiative +0
Unarmed +10 Damage 12

Defense
Dodge 6 (6), Parry 6
Toughness 16, Fortitude 10, Will 6 (5)

Abilities 58+Powers 22+Advantages 20+Skills 41+Defenses 11=152

•Amos Jankowski was a simple, uneducated big guy who understood that crime was a path to wealth and success for guys like him-if they were good at him. Wise enough to be dependable and tough, he climbed the rungs of organized crime in his city quickly, getting his own crew. Eventually he was picked by higher ups to pull a job for Dr. Prometheus, a job that resulted in Jankowski being severely injured and most of his men dying. He chewed out Prometheus, who admired his spirit (and that he had succeeded in the job to steal rare isotopes), and turned him into a cyborg. Shortly after that, Amos ran organized crime in his city, and his subordinates called him the Iron Skull. Eventually, Prometheus tagged him to join the Golden Age villain team, the Magi, to deal with speedster Jack. B Quick.

•A simple but effective build, Iron Skill is kind of like Kingpin. Though he's not as smart as Fisk, they both lead criminal groups (Fisk's is bigger and wealthier, though) and can still fight heroes one-on-one, something Iron Skull is better at. He could take street level takes like Nightwing and Daredevil in a straight fight, maybe even Spider-Man. Of course, then they'd come back for a rematch and do something clever like luring him near a giant magnet or shocking him with lots of electricity.
Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

1,028-1031

Postby Arthur Eld » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:28 pm

Vermaak 88

From inFAMOUS 2, Vermaak 88 are a fictional South African PMC, its soldiers brought to America and turned into artificial superhumans by siphoning power from Lucy Kuo. However, since the process was never meant to grant powers to such a large number of subjects, there are side-effects, most notably physical mutation and insanity.

L-R: Ice Soldier, Heavy Trooper

Ice Soldier
PL 7 87

Abilities
Strength 2, Stamina 3, Agility 1, Dexterity 1, Fighting 5, Intellect 1, Awareness 1, Presence 0

Powers
Cyrokinetic Immunity 10 (cold effects-limited to half effect) 5
Ice Launch Leaping 3 (60 feet) 3
Ice Slide Speed 2 (120 feet per round, 8 miles) 2
Frost Shield Enhanced Active Defenses 2 (Concentration) 2

Advantages: Equipment 7, Fearless, Language (English, base-Afrikaans), Move-by Action, Ranged Attack 6

Equipment RPG (Blast 9, Burst Area 7, Inaccurate), or SPAS-12 (Blast 5, Accurate, Limited to 3 ranks against targets with Protection), or Adaptive Combat Rifle (Multiattack Blast 5 Sights, +1 to hit), Uniform (Protection 4, Feature-chilled environment, Rebreather, commlinks)

Skills: Athletics 4 (+6), Deception 4 (+4), Expertise (tactics) 4 (+5), Perception 4 (+5), Expertise (mercenary) 4 (+5), Investigation 3 (+4), Stealth 4 (+5), Insight 1 (+2), Intimidation 4 (+4), Technology 2 (+3), Vehicles 4 (+5)

Offense
Initiative +1
RPG +5 Damage 9, Burst Area 7/ACR +8 Damage 5, Multiattack/SPAS +9 Damage 5
Unarmed +5 Damage 2

Defense
Dodge 7/5 (4), Parry 7/5
Toughness 7, Fortitude 7 (4), Will 4 (3)

Abilities 28+Powers 13+Advantages 17+Skills 19+Defenses 11=87

Complications
Weakness As beings of cold and ice, the Vermaak troops have the DCs of any heat/fire effect against them increased by 50%
Exposure The Vermaak have not yet adjusted to their powers and their changed bodies. Without their gear to keep their bodies from overheating, they will become fatigued, then exhausted, and may face possible death in temperatures higher than freezing.

•Effective super-mooks, the Ice Soldiers make a cool change of pace from more mundane minion types. Without the minion rules, a squad can give a tough fight to some street-level heroes, with them, a PL 10 hero team can mow down an army of them and feel like badasses.

Heavy Trooper
PL 8 120

Abilities
Strength 6, Stamina 5, Agility 1, Dexterity 1, Fighting 5, Intellect 1, Awareness 1, Presence 0

Powers

Super Jumps Leaping 4 (120 feet) 4
Ice Pillar Create 7 (Limited, can only create pillars, Permanent) 7
Ice Beam Blast 8 (Line Area) 24
Focused Beam Blast 8 (Multiattack) 1

Advantages: Equipment 2, Favored Environment (high ground), Fearless, Language (English, base-Afrikaans), Ranged Attack 6

Equipment: Heavy Armor (Protection 5, Rebreather, chilled environment, commlink)

Skills Athletics 2 (+8), Deception 4 (+4), Expertise (tactics) 4 (+5), Perception 4 (+5), Expertise (mercenary) 4 (+5), Investigation 3 (+4), Insight 1 (+2), Intimidation 6 (+6), Technology 2 (+3), Vehicles 4 (+5) Close Combat (unarmed) 2 (+7)

Offense
Initiative +1
Unarmed +7 Damage 6
Ice Beam +7 Damage 8, Multiattack

Defense
Dodge 5 (4), Parry 5
Toughness 10, Fortitude 8 (3), Will 4 (3)

Abilities 40+Powers 41+Advantages 11+Skills 18+Defenses 10=120

Complications
Weakness As beings of cold and ice, the Vermaak troops have the DCs of any heat/fire effect against them increased by 50%
Exposure The Vermaak have not yet adjusted to their powers and their changed bodies. Without their gear to keep their bodies from overheating, they will become fatigued, then exhausted, and may face possible death in temperatures higher than freezing.

•I had hoped to get one of these builds to be at 15 points per PL, and I'm somewhat glad its the Ice Heavy. Its the kind of character i could see a PC playing-obviously superhuman, decent powers, not crazy mutated. Some fiddling with skills and such to suit the player's background, and you've got a decent brick/blaster build. Slightly undercapped on Defense, but that's part of what Favored Environment's for. I debated with some amount of Permanent Innate Growth, but a full increase in size cat didn't seem necessary, so I thought, 'why bother?'

Crusher
PL 9 133

Abilities
Strength 7, Stamina 11, Agility 1, Dexterity 1, Fighting 5, Intellect 1, Awareness 0, Presence -1

Powers:
Ice Launch Leaping 4 4
Ice Slide Speed 3 1
Ice Throw Blast 10 (bludgeoning descriptor) 20
Ionic Freeze Line Area Damage 9 1
Natural Armor Impervious Toughness 9 9
Ice Punch Strength-based Damage 2 2

Advantages: Equipment (commlink, 4 ep unspent), Startle, Fearless, Language (English, base-Afrikaans), Ranged Attack 6

Skills: Athletics 2 (+9), Deception 4 (+3), Expertise (tactics) 4 (+5), Perception 4 (+4), Expertise (mercenary) 4 (+5), Investigation 3 (+4), Insight 1 (+1), Intimidation 9 (+8), Technology 2 (+3), Vehicles 1 (+2), Close Combat (unarmed) 4 (+9), Ranged Combat (Ice Blast) 1 (+8)

Offense
Initiative +1
Ice Punch +9 Damage 9
Ice Blast +8 Damage 10

Defense
Dodge 7 (6), Parry 7 (2)
Toughness 11, Fortitude 11, Will 4 (4)

Abilities 50+Powers 41+Advantages 10+Skills 20+Defenses 12=133

Complications
Disability The icing process has effected the Crushers mind, and they can be impaired or even Disabled when performing certain mental tasks. Their ability to speak and understand language may also be diminished.

•Crushers are where the physical mutations really start to manifest themselves. Crushers are larger and have obvious permanet icing along their heads and arms. Still, their minds are more or less intact. Tough enough to ignore small arms fire and with options for both range and melee, they're usually not encountered more than one in any given squad. Another build that's not far from points per level.

Titan
PL 11 135

Abilities
Strength 11, Stamina 12, Agility 0, Dexterity 0, Fighting 6, Intellect -1, Awareness 0, Presence -1

Powers
Jumbo Size Permanent Innate Growth 8 17
Ice Regeneration Healing 10 (Personal Only, Distracting, Activation-Move Action) 4
Ice Beam Blast 10 (Line Area) 30
Ionic Freeze Line Area Damage 10, Increased Area 1
Ice Throw Blast 11, Accurate 2 1
Cyrokinetic Immunity 10 (cold effects) 10
Conduit Energy Immunity 1 (starvation&thirst) 1
Natural Armor Protection 4, Impervious Toughness 11 15

Advantages: Startle, Fearless, Ranged Attack 6

Skills: Athletics 2 (+13), Perception 4 (+4), Intimidation 9 (+12), Technology 2 (+2), Close Combat (unarmed) 3 (+9)

Offense
Initiative +0
Unarmed +9 Damage 11
Ice Throw +10 Damage 11

Defense
Dodge 4 (8), Parry 4 (2)
Toughness 16, Fortitude 12, Will 6 (6)

Abilities 22+Powers 79+Advantages 8+Skills 10+Defenses 16=135

Complications
Disability At this point, the Titans are little more than giant ice monsters, with little that is human left inside them.

•Only slightly more expensive than Crushers, Titans have left aside all that skilled mercenary stuff to become giant engines of icy destruction. They don't really hit their caps on anything, but are still a dangerous threat, given their high toughness and ability to heal from injuries. In combat, they cause all kinds of havoc simply from their great size, and go around throwing big junks of ice or blasting beams of cold from both hands. And of course, there's something for punching a guy with a fist as big as he is.
Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arthur Eld » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:43 am

Dr. Sofia Lamb
PL 5 80

Abilities

Strength 0, Stamina 1, Agility 0, Dexterity 1, Fighting 2, Intellect 4, Awareness 4, Presence 5

Advantages: Attractive, Fascinate (Persuasion), Skill Mastery (Persuasion), Language 1 (Japanese, base-English), Connected, Contacts, Well-Informed, Inspire 3

Skills: Expertise (science) 2 (+6), Treatment 1 (+5), Expertise (psychology) 9 (+13), Technology 2 (+6), Persuasion 10 (+15), Intimidation 2 (+7), Deception 9 (+14), Vehicles 2 (+3), Expertise (writing) 3 (+7), Insight 10 (+14), Investigation 4 (+8), Perception 4 (+8)

Offense
Initiative +0
Unarmed +2 Damage 0

Defense
Dodge 2 (2), Parry 2
Toughness 1, Fortitude 2 (1), Will 8 (4)

Abilities 34+Advantages 10+Skills 29+Defenses 7=80

•The primary antagonist of Bioshock 2, Sofia Lamb is the collectivist villain opposed to the original game's Andrew Ryan and his Objectivist beliefs. As such, I considered Kreuz's build of Ryan before doing this one. Lamb doesn't quite have the smarts of Ryan (though she's still highly intelligent), but the woman's got a lot of presence. Like, beating Ryan in debates in public, getting tossed in prison and leading a revolt that took over the prison, or organizing a bunch of drug addicted mutated miserable people into her own personal cult.

•A behind the scenes villain, Lamb can give heroes a lot of trouble, especially if introduced as a friend first. In a supers game, she might work with either heroes or villains (or both), as a friendly psychiatrist. But in reality, she would use her counseling sessions to twist her patients to her line of thinking. I gave her Attractive because A: She is, but B: while she's not really the type to flaunt her looks on a daily basis, given how driven she is, she'd certainly use them if that was the best avenue to getting into someone else's head.
Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

PreviousNext

Return to Roll Call