Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

Eld's builds:Scimitar, Spirit Dragon, Zombies, Kirin, Amleth

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.

Re: Eld's builds:Portgas D. Ace, Goth, Psions, Shadow Academy

Postby Arthur Eld » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:05 pm

Hero High had some cool stuff, but it certainly was lacking in the villain department. Chess Club was neat, in that joke villain way, and Woundmaker is badass, but nothing else was really compelling.

I'm gonna try to finish up my Algernon Files conversions soon but I'm having problems transferring the artwork. Now those books were not lacking for villains.
Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Jabroniville » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:50 am

Nice translations from 2e to 3e, Arthur. The Psions & Shadow Academy are good ideas in theory, but I was never quite taken with the characters. Some pretty weak art is at the core of it (what the HELL is the Headmistress supposed to be doing in that pose?), since the characters have one or two "hooks" with which to form a story around.
Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arthur Eld » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:40 am

Jabroniville wrote: Some pretty weak art is at the core of it (what the HELL is the Headmistress supposed to be doing in that pose?),

I believe that's called 'vamping.'

I do agree that the Shadow Academy was never high on my list of Freedomverse villains. I like the idea of Count Zero, Dwarfstar has a neat power set, and I like Lethal Lolita because she's a bad-ass, nigh-superhuman martial artist that doesn't feel overpowered, but the rest aren't too interesting. The idea of a school for evil supers, though, is something that's a very cool plot hook for any supers world.
Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby HustlerOne » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:02 pm

Arthur Eld wrote:
Jabroniville wrote: Some pretty weak art is at the core of it (what the HELL is the Headmistress supposed to be doing in that pose?),

I do agree that the Shadow Academy was never high on my list of Freedomverse villains. I like the idea of Count Zero, Dwarfstar has a neat power set, and I like Lethal Lolita because she's a bad-ass, nigh-superhuman martial artist that doesn't feel overpowered, but the rest aren't too interesting. The idea of a school for evil supers, though, is something that's a very cool plot hook for any supers world.

For some reason I picture Shadowbox growing up to look as Vampy as her mother the Headmistress. Except
more blonde. Shadowbox doesn't look so great now with that awful mohawk hairstyle and sullen look. It would be funny to have your players fight her as a creepy villainess in present times then timetravel into the future to find her as a hot heroine.

I like Lethal Lolita as well. She's like a cross between Azula and Ty Lee from Avatar the last Airbender. My
players really underestimated her to their dismay in their first encounter.
HustlerOne
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Jabroniville » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:07 am

See, I can see the point of the pose, but it's like... one of her arms has vanished, she's chewing on sunglasses or something, and she's grimacing in the most horrible way imaginable. Who looked at that and went "mmmmm SEXPOT!"? It totally offends me visually :). That and the huge guy's laughably tiny head.

Lots of the M&Mverse characters have potential, though- there's plenty of great little ideas and unique powers tossed in their amongst some of the more forgettable guys.
Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arthur Eld » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:42 am

Her other arm is behind her back. You can see she has it covered with her shadow claws, and I think she's chewing on a pencil-maybe. As for her expression, that's a matter of taste.

As for Stompzila's head-well yeah, he's supposed to be kind of a mutant weirdo with a strange body shape.

Yeah, its a mixed bag with Freedomverse characters, just the same as with Marvel and DC, really. Some of the new Emerald City characters are great, though. Max Mars and Tempus may be two of my favorite NPCs because they can be very versatile.
Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Kreuzritter » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:19 am

no, its the frame of a pair of glasses all right.
Kreuz Control Promotions: over 2800 builds served, and counting...
Crinoverse: Contributions
Kreuzritter
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arthur Eld » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:23 pm

Well, spotted. Ah, well. All in all, its a fair piece of art. There are some better ones in the Freedomverse, but also worse ones. Coming up next, Craig Boone!
Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arthur Eld » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:10 pm

You take out a debt, it's only a matter of time before someone comes collecting.

Craig Boone
PL 7 85

Abilities

Strength 2, Stamina 4, Agility 2, Dexterity 2, Fighting 7, Intellect 0, Awareness 2, Presence 0

Advantages: Accurate Attack, Close Attack, Diehard, Equipment 3, Improved Aim, Improved Critical (rifles) 2, Improved Initiative, Precise Attack (ranged, cover), Quick Draw, Ranged Attack 4, Skill Mastery (Perception), Teamwork

Equipment Scoped Rifle (Blast 5, Extended Range), Machete (Strength-based Damage 2, Improved Critical)

Skills: Athletics 4 (+6), Expertise (current events) 4 (+4), Expertise (tactics) 6 (+6), Intimidation 4 (+4), Perception 8 (+10), Insight 2 (+4), Stealth 6 (+8), Vehicles 1 (+3), Investigation 3 (+3)

Offense
Initiative +6
Rifle +9 Damage 5
Machete +8 Damage 4

Defense
Dodge 7 (5), Parry 7
Toughness 4, Fortitude 6 (2), Will 5 (3)

Abilities 38+Advantages 16+Skills 19+Defenses 10=85

•I really tried to get this build up to 15 points per level, but it just wasn't happening. Still, Boone (from Fallout New Vegas) is everything he is in the game-a badass sniper who's also not too bad in melee. He's undercapped on defense, and that's on purpose-he needs some kind of armor to get up to caps. Aside from that, he gets a lot of Advantages to say he's a good sniper (and spotter) and a decent critical range to represent the fact that he's very much a one-shot, one kill. Between power attacking from stealth and getting a critical hit, he can easily provoke DC 27 toughness saves, and in the squishy, gritty world of Fallout, that's enough for instant 'your head asplode' attacks.
Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arthur Eld » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:39 am

Mentor
PL 10 150

Abilities
Strength 0, Stamina 2, Agility 1, Dexterity 1, Fighting 3, Intellect 6, Awareness 8, Presence 1

Powers
Mentalism (Array, 25 points)
Disorientation Perception Affliction 10 (Resisted by Will, Dazed/Compelled/Controlled, Limited-targets actions are uncontrolled) 20
Cortical Suppression Burst Area Weaken Intellect 10 (Resisted by Will) 1
Instinct Dominance Perception Affliction 9 (Resisted by Will, Dazed/Compelled/Controlled-Limited to inducing rage) 1
Cerebral Balance Perception Nullify mental effects 10, limited to countering harmful conditions on allies
Mental Barrier Sustained Immunity 10-Mental Effects, Limited to half effect 1
Telepath Mental Communication 3, Selective Area, 1
Psionic Senses 7 Extended 2 Ranged Detect Minds, Acute, Radius 7

Alien Energy (Array, 27 points)
Phase Cone Cone Area Damage 8, Resisted by Fortitude, radiation descriptor 24
Electron Beam Blast 10, Accurate 3 1
Psyche Slash Will Damage 6, Accurate 3, Multiattack, Flaw-Activation, Move Action 1
Kinetic Barrier Sustained Protection 8 1

Levitation Flight 1 (Levitation), Subtle 2

Advantages: Defensive Roll 2, Equipment 6, Languages 1 (English), Ranged Attack 2

Equipment 30 points for Freedom Force HQ

Skills: Technology 6 (+12), Investigation 2 (+8), Expertise (Science) 8 (+14), Vehicles 2 (+3), Perception 4 (+12), Insight 4 (+12), Treatment 2 (+8), Persuasion 2 (+3)

Offense
Initiative +1
Psyche Slash +9 Damage 6
Electron Beam +9 Damage 10

Defense
Dodge 7 (6), Parry 7 (4)
Toughness 12, Fortitude 6 (4), Will 13 (5)

Abilities 44+Powers 61+Advantages 11+Skills 15+Defenses 19=150

Complications
Enemy the Domain, Lord Dominion
Responsibility Mentor is a highly altruistic being, and believes in doing things 'for the good of all.'
Prejudice Mentor is obviously a strange figure, and hard to disguise as human, with his enlarged head and strange manner of speaking.
Quirk Mentor is a very curious person, especially where science is concerned.

•It was a little tricky getting Mentor to hit PL 10, 150 points. This is mostly because he's not really a combat-geared character, so he doesn't hit his caps in a lot of situations. I left out Mind Control because while he has demonstrated it, that's like only once. I wasn't sure about how high to take him with skills, but seeing as how he basically built the Freedom Force's base all by himself, he certainly deserves some high ranks-which also means he has to pay for the whole thing himself. I didn't bother statting it out, but if 30 points was enough for the Watchtower, its enough for the Freedom Fortress.
Last edited by Arthur Eld on Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arthur Eld » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:57 pm

Liberty Lad
PL 8 134

Abilities

Strength 4, Stamina 3, Agility 8, Dexterity 8, Fighting 6, Intellect 1, Awareness 0, Presence 2

Powers
Fast Speed 1 1
Leaper Leaping 4 4

Molecular Control (Array, 20 points)
Proximity Grenade Burst Blast 5, Ricochet 2, Triggered by an enemy coming within 5 feet 18
Firecracker Burst Area Ranged Affliction 6, Resisted by Fortitude, Dazed/Stunned 1
Molecular Excitation Burst Area Perception Range Damage 5, only 4 ranks have Burst Extra, Quirk-main perception damage must target an inanimate object of sufficient mass 1

Advantages: Agile Feint, Defensive Roll, Diehard, Improved Defense, Move-by Action, Taunt, Uncanny Dodge

Skills: Acrobatics 8 (+16), Close combat (unarmed) 6 (+12), Deception 8 (+10), Expertise (pop culture) 5 (+6), Perception 4 (+4), Stealth 2 (+10), Insight 4 (+4), Investigation 3 (+4),

Offense
Initiative +8
Unarmed +12 Damage 4

Defenses
Dodge 12 (4), Parry 12 (6)
Toughness 4/3, Fortitude 5 (2, Will 6 (6)

Abilities 64+Powers 25+Advantages 7+Skills 20+Defenses 18=134

Complications
Relationship While Nick is a friend of all superheroes, he looks up and respects Minuteman the most.
Secret Few people know Liberty Lad is Nick Craft
Reputation As an impulsive, hot-headed teenager.

•One of two sidekick type characters from Freedom Force, Nick Craft was just a young boy who loved superheroes until he got involved in a battle between the FF and Pinstripe, super-powered gangster. Shot by Pinstripe after protecting Minuteman, Nick was taken to the Freedom Fortress and kept stable by the hi-tech medical equipment there. Still, he needed a blood transfusion that Minuteman gave him, leaving him with superpowers as the Energy X in Minuteman's body reacted with Nick. Armed with a home-made costume and a satchel of grenades that rely on his powers to work, Nick proved his worth to the Freedom Force and was eventually made a full member as Liberty Lad.

•Despite being pretty low-powered, LL is well over cost for his PL, which I'm ok with. He was only slightly less effective in the game than his fellows, so a PL 8 guy with some extra points in a game where most other heroes are PL 10 is fine by me. Sea Urchin is actually probably a PL 9, if only because she has more offensive super-powers. Still, LL is well in league with someone like Robin, and has a lot of little tricks for dealing with street level foes.
Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arthur Eld » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:46 pm

Nuclear Winter
PL 10 159

Abilities

Strength 8, Stamina 10, Agility 0, Dexterity 0, Fighting 6, Intellect 2, Awareness 2, Presence 1

Powers
Snow Storm Environment 9 (Cold, Impede Movement) 18
Ice Blast Ranged Affliction 12 (Resisted by Fortitude, Dazed/Stunned/incapacitated, Accurate 2) 26
Blinding Blizzard Burst Area Visual Dazzle 10 1
Frost Punch Strength-based Damage 4, Radiation/cold descriptor, Accurate 1
Ice Shell Sustained Protection 2, Impervious Toughness 11, Flaw-Activation Standard Action, 1
Strong Legs Leaping 3 3
Frozen Man Immunity 10 (cold descriptor) 10

Advantages: Fearless, Languages 1 (English, base-Russian), Ranged Attack 4

Skills: Athletics 4 (+12), Deception 4 (+5), Intimidation 8 (+9), Expertise (government agent) 5 (+7), Investigation 4 (+6), Perception 5 (+7), Insight 5 (+7), Technology 3 (+5)

Offense
Initiative +0
Frost Punch +8 Damage 12
Ice Blast +8 Affliction 12

Defense
Dodge 8 (8), Parry 8 (2)
Toughness 12/10, Fortitude 10, Will 8 (6)

Abilities 58+Powers 60+Advantages 6+Skills 19+Defenses 16=159

•Sukhov was just another Soviet spy in America when he got caught up in Minuteman's first adventure as a superhero. After defeating his minions, Minuteman accidentally got Sukhov caught in a blast of liquid nitrogen. He was seemingly frozen-but the Energy X he had been exposed to earlier activated at this moment, transforming himself into Nuclear Winter!

•Not much for a team of heroes to fight, Winter can still be an impressive foe by having him blanket a city in ice and snow, as well as having a large number of minions, some of whom are fairly powerful, armed with hi-tech freezing rays as well as excellent training. Also, his powers have made him unstable, so the kinds of schemes he is willing to unleash involve massive destruction and possible global annihilation. Thus, while the combat challenge may not be high, the stakes should definitely be so.
Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Eld's builds:Boone, Mentor, Liberty Lad, Nuclear Winter

Postby scc » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:33 pm

Great Freedom Force builds. I loved that game!
scc
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Earth-Two_Kenn » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:42 pm

I still love FF. Nice work. Can't wait to see the rest.
Over eleven hundred DCA/M&M Character builds at http://www.rcuhero.net
Earth-Two_Kenn
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Thorpacolypse » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:52 pm

scc wrote:Great Freedom Force builds. I loved that game!

Me, too. Are the rumors true that there is a site where you can play it?

Oh, and nice build, Eld. :wink:
Shop J-Mart!

Service with a smilie! :)
Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Location: Bloomington, IL (Summer home in the dark recesses of the human psyche...)

PreviousNext

Return to Roll Call