How would someone build a character who manipulates luck

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.
Mastigos
Bystander
Bystander

How would someone build a character who manipulates luck

Postby Mastigos » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:10 pm

My character idea was the embodiment of "The Fool." Luck control is a power but the problem is that it is incredibly dependent on hero points. What options would I have to create a character who is the luckiest man ever? Like someone who could make a wild guess about which cord to cut on a bomb and coincidentally be right, or who could, through guessing, pick the right numbers on a number pad, despite his complication being that he is an idiot. Or by sheer luck bends over to pick up something shiny the instant a laser breezes over his head. Bullets always miss him. Throw a grenade and it is a dud. Lightning strikes the guy trying to chance him. Or a piano falls on them or something. Maybe he doesn't even realize he has powers. What powers would I pick?

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: How would someone build a character who manipulates luck

Postby FuzzyBoots » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:27 pm

Most of it comes down to simply giving him powers and then describing them as luck. For example:

Glad I had a flask in my pocket (Protection 10) (Ablative) [5 pp]
Well, this seems to go here and... (Enhanced Advantage: Beginner's Luck) [1 pp] — That one still takes a Hero Point. Jack of All Trades gives you all skills as being trained for the same cost.
Who would have guessed there was a rake in his path? (Perception Range Damage 10) (Subtle 2, Indirect 4) [36 pp]

psilich
Cohort
Cohort

Postby psilich » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:34 pm

You might also want to look at the "luck powers," power profile:

http://greenroninstore.com/products/mutants-and-masterminds-power-profile-luck-powers-pdf

digitalangel
Groupie
Groupie

Postby digitalangel » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:08 am

Check out the Probability Control power from 2E mastermind's manual. If you are playing 2E or if your GM will allow it in a 3E game, it may be just what you are looking for.

catsi563
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Postby catsi563 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:38 am

FuzzyBoots wrote:Most of it comes down to simply giving him powers and then describing them as luck. For example:

Glad I had a flask in my pocket (Protection 10) (Ablative) [5 pp]
Well, this seems to go here and... (Enhanced Advantage: Beginner's Luck) [1 pp] — That one still takes a Hero Point. Jack of All Trades gives you all skills as being trained for the same cost.
Who would have guessed there was a rake in his path? (Perception Range Damage 10) (Subtle 2, Indirect 4) [36 pp]

Fuzzy really nails it on the head here. the other suggesitons are solid too.

But namely a luck manipulator is descriptor as fuzzy said for a whole host of effects. everything from an anvil dropping on someones head out of nowhere, to a bus arriving just the right time for the hero to escape, to the hero tripping at just the right moment to avoid injury
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

The Litterbox

http://www.fanfiction.net/~catsi563

Mastigos
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Mastigos » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:28 pm

What about this? Would the variable power work with the limitation flaw (-1) point that it has to be something that could be a coincidence and doesn't violate the laws of physics? Energy blast damage that can't be isn't lighting shooting out of your fingers but could be a lightning bolt when its already raining?

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Thu May 01, 2014 4:41 am

Mastigos wrote:What about this? Would the variable power work with the limitation flaw (-1) point that it has to be something that could be a coincidence and doesn't violate the laws of physics? Energy blast damage that can't be isn't lighting shooting out of your fingers but could be a lightning bolt when its already raining?

Eh, how often do you feel it would come up? General rule of thumb is that a Flaw should remove about 50% of the utility. This seems more like a Power Loss Drawback or Complication.

Mastigos
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Mastigos » Fri May 02, 2014 9:38 am

I should think that would come up very often. Effectively, the variable power would be limited in the same way that covert magic is limited in Mage. (yeah you can tell from my user name I'm a fan) There is no way for The Fool to fly, walk through walls, shoot x-rays from his eyes, or lift 300 ktons which is what the variable power would let you do.

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Fri May 02, 2014 10:09 am

Eh, if it actually mechanically limits them (you've included things like them pointing at someone having lightning hit them, which is pretty darn improbable), I could see it being Limited, but if it's just a matter of requiring a clever description ("I want to fly... I mean my character gets caught in a sudden updraft that coincidentally puts them where they need to be"), that's a Complication at best.

Variable is supposed to have built-in limitations from the start, even with the 7-point Variable. Someone who Shakeshifts has to justify how their physical form changing gives them a particular powerset, for example. Even with magic, the intention is not for it to be carte blanche "do what you will". For magic, I usually see that as less mechanical than the GM dictating consequences which your character may or may not be fully aware of based on their Arcane Lore check ("You successfully restore the spark of life to the inert body below you. Unbeknownst to you, a grandmother two floors down suddenly clutches her chest and keels over" or "Malvolio the Magificent stands outside of your door. He smiles and says that he's here to collect on the infernal debt you've racked up. When you ask about the debt, he smiles widely and asks if you really forgot to read the fine print on the contract you signed.").

Return to “Roll Call”