New Ref requesting assistance

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.
Gershom
Bystander
Bystander

New Ref requesting assistance

Postby Gershom » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:43 am

Hi,
I'm new to M&M (we're playing 3e) and I've been nominated ref by my players, none of whom have played the game before either (lucky me!)

My players are part of a team they're calling the Untouchables - a group of misfits who's powers are out of control and who are reliant on another mutant to survive. Initially the players are reliant on their leader to turn their powers off and the plan is that gradually they become more in control of their powers and start to break free of their "Fagan".

The builds have all been verified with Hero Lab but I'd appreciate comments and suggestions as to whether or not the players builds make sense and are appropriate (given our inexperience at character creation) or whether there are better ways to achieve the same effects.

The first character is a female who has a cloud of acid around her at all times (except when "Fagan" powers her down to eat etc) which acts as an always on force field as well as various types of attack.

Solvent - PL 9

(Brittney Hayley Wilmott, age 21)

Quote: "Does the pretty little animal want a kiss?" Theme: Pinks' "So What"

Solvent was born in Leeds, England and taken into care as a victim of child abuse aged six, she ended up in 8 foster homes and three children's centre before she finally ran away., Brittney ended up on the game from 14.
During a particularly brutal trick her powers activated dissolving both her "client" and the arm of her pimp when he tried to hit her. She ran away and went to live on the streets of London where she met Repulse (the team's Fagan) two years ago. Repulse has tried to teach her how to control her powers but lacks the skills to do so properly.
She has altered her appearance to make herself look less attractive to others as a way to avoid attention from others.

Strength 1, Stamina 3, Agility 2, Dexterity 1, Fighting 2, Intellect 1, Awareness 1, Presence 2

Advantages: Attractive, Grabbing Finesse, Redirect, Taunt, Well-informed

Skills: Acrobatics 3 (+5), Athletics 2 (+3), Close Combat: Grab 1 (+3), Deception 5 (+7), Insight 1 (+2), Perception 1 (+2), Persuasion 5 (+7), Sleight of Hand 2 (+3), Stealth 1 (+3), Vehicles 1 (+2)

Powers: Corrosive Field
Acidic Aura: Cloud Area Energy Aura 9 (Linked; DC 24; Cloud Area 2: 30 feet radius sphere, Insidious; Permanent, Uncontrolled)
Acidic Burn: Concentration Cumulative Progressive Affliction 9 (Alternate; 1st degree: Impaired, 2nd degree: Disabled, 3rd degree: Incapacitated, Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 19; Concentration, Cumulative, Incurable, Progressive, Reach (melee): 5 ft.; Permanent)
Acidic Field: Cloud Area Force Field 9 (Linked; +9 Toughness; Cloud Area 2: 30 feet radius sphere; Permanent)

Offense: Initiative +2
Acidic Aura: Cloud Area Energy Aura 9 (DC 24)
Acidic Burn: Concentration Cumulative Progressive Affliction 9, +2 (DC Fort 19)
Grab, +3 (DC Spec 11)
Throw, +1 (DC 16)
Unarmed, +2 (DC 16)

Complications:
Disability - No taste or smell: Her acidic field means that she cannot smell anything through the acid vapours, as the acid affects any food she tries to eat, the food has no flavour left so she now eats to live rather than as a pleasure.
Motivation: Acceptance: Wants to be a normal person - something she feels she has never had a chance to be since she was first taken into care as a young child.
Temper: Solvent's personality and outlook has changed since her power activated making her more volatile and angry towards men who admire her looks or try and hit on her. Gets extremely angry if anyone makes any sexual innuendos.

Languages: English

Defense: Dodge 3, Parry 2, Fortitude 3, Toughness 12, Will 1

Power Points: Abilities 26 + Powers 92 + Advantages 5 + Skills 11 (22 ranks) + Defenses 1 = 135

I would appreciate any comments or suggestions regarding the build - I do use Hero Lab to run the combat etc. so I want if possible to keep characters compatible.

Thanks in advance for any assistance and comments.

JoshuaDunlow
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: New Ref requesting assistance

Postby JoshuaDunlow » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:18 pm

The one thing that really pops off at me, especially for the Acidic Aura. I might use the "Reaction" Extra. This will make sure the effect goes every time. Otherwise you are still limited by the stated action of the Effect.

From a defensive point of view, I find her defenses , extremely out of proportion. The player will have to realize, that though decent for humans. She might have troubles otherwise. But if this seriously fits the concept of the character, I say all the more power to you. Though even i might consider wanting to bump up one of your other defenses, like dodge or will perhaps, by 3 points. Sure you can skim points from elsewhere.

Gershom
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Gershom » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:39 am

Thanks for the suggestions Joshua, however when I tried to add reaction to acidic aura, Hero Lab came up with "Power already is a reaction and must use a free or standard action." Don't know if that's a fault with Hero Lab or just my build.

It does make sense - is there something else I'd need to change in the build to make it more workable?

The players were told to initially build out of control characters with either uncontrolled attacks or defenses (we're a group who enjoy storytelling over maxing out their builds and I reward players who don't max out all of their powers and build a fun character) but the aim is to allow them to trade them as they gain more and more control of their powers for attacks - the low will is actually agreed between player and myself as a way of switching her powers off temporarily, dodge will go up I'm sure but at present she's used to little getting through her acid cloud to actually hurt her (she'll learn) and I have agreed that she can hold 1 level back at present to allow for an impressive metamorphosis at some point in the game when she suddenly gains that extra 15 points of powers. Possibly not my best idea but we'll see...

I'll have a chat with the player about dodge or will increasing, thanks. Any other suggestions?

I appreciate its not how most people probably play the game but it has so much story-telling potential I wanted to see how it developed.
Last edited by Gershom on Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

Gershom
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Gershom » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:51 am

Player two:

Blackstuff- PL 10 - Yazz (Yasif Kafir) Obimari age 23

Quote: Rrrrhhh! (he's a man of few words) Theme: The Clash, "I fought the Law"

Born in Newcastle, England Yazz (Yasif Kafir) Obimari was brought up by his mother (his father had left before Yazz was born) who thought Yazz took after his "lazy and worthless" father and tried to force him to be more "Christian" through numerous beatings, belittling's and even physical exorcisms to "save him from his many sins".
At 13, Yazz first became aware of his ability when during yet another violent and abusive exorcism by his mothers' Nigerian minister, his mutant strength kicked in and he shattered the ministers' arm on his hand trying to protect himself. He was kicked out by his mum as a result and subsequently took to abusing steroids to further increase his strength and hanging out with the Toxik Dogz street gang.
He adopted his nickname after having to do tarmac-laying work experience for the local Council and realised the similarities between the tar and his occasional flashes of powers. He lasted less than a week in the job before lashing out at his supervisor, crippling him for life.
On the run, his powers permanently kicked in during his first attempted armed robbery for the Toxik Dogz, where the stress (and the accidental discharge of a shotgun at him by one of his equally stressed companions) resulted in his powers activating, absorbing the pellets and almost suffocating everyone in the shop, including the rest of the gang. Yazz ran away leaving the rest of the gang to be arrested.
Unable to return to the Dogz, he eventually met up with Repulse and Solvent in a squat in London and since then they have tried to train him to control both his powers and his anger.

Strength 8, Stamina 4, Agility 0, Dexterity 1, Fighting 4, Intellect 0, Awareness 2, Presence 1

Advantages: All-out Attack, Chokehold, Close Attack 4, Fast Grab, Great Endurance, Improved Critical: Unarmed, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Improved Initiative 2, Improvised Weapon 5

Skills:Expertise: Streetwise 8 (+8), Insight 4 (+6), Intimidation 10 (+11), Perception 4 (+6), Ranged Combat: Tar Spray 3 (+4)

Powers
Tar Body (Activation: Free Action)
Concealment: Concealment 0
Elongation: Elongation 0 (Elongation: 6 feet)
Inhuman Body: Immunity 10 (Life Support)
Protection: Protection 10 (Alternate; +10 Toughness)
Semi-solid form: Insubstantial 1 (Fluid; Permanent)
Smother: Suffocation 3+10 ([Stacking ranks: +10], DC 23; Inaccurate: -2, Permanent, Reduced Range: close)
Swimming: Swimming 0 (Speed: 0.5 miles/hour, 6 feet/round)
Untouchable effect
Hot Tar Skin: Damage 10 (heat, DC 25, Advantages: Improved Critical 3; Increased Duration 3: continuous, Incurable)
Liquid Tar: Snare 10 (DC 20; Reduced Range: close)
Tar Fumes: Suffocation 10 (chemical, DC 20; Stacks with: Smother: Suffocation 3+10; Reduced Range: close)
Tar Spray: Blast 10 (DC 25)

Offense: Initiative +8
Grab, +8 (DC Spec 18)
Hot Tar Skin: Damage 10, +8 (DC 25)
Liquid Tar: Snare 10, +8 (DC Dog 20)
Smother: Suffocation 3+10, +6 (DC Fort 23)
Tar Fumes: Suffocation 10, +8 (DC Fort 20)
Tar Spray: Blast 10, +1 (DC 25)
Throw, +1 (DC 23)
Unarmed, +8 (DC 23)

Complications
Motivation: Thrills: Because of his altered body and his lack of need for the basics of life, he is no longer motivated by normal human needs (EXCEPT the desire for a relationship which he believes now is impossible) he often commits acts simply out of a twisted sense of fun with no thought for those who might get hurt.
Relationship: Broken Family - Raised without a father and cast out by his mother and utterly rejected by everyone except the Untouchables (who he believes only tolerate him for his abilities) he hates everyone who he thinks have happy lives.

Languages: English (Geordie accent)

Defense: Dodge 0, Parry 4, Fortitude 4, Toughness 4, Will 2

Power Points: Abilities 40 + Powers 77 + Advantages 18 + Skills 15 (29 ranks) + Defenses 0 = 150

Comments etc. welcome - Pol has elected to use all of his points from the beginning of the game and is intended to be the powerhouse of the team.

JoshuaDunlow
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby JoshuaDunlow » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:14 am

Gershom wrote:Thanks for the suggestions Joshua, however when I tried to add reaction to acidic aura, Hero Lab came up with "Power already is a reaction and must use a free or standard action." Don't know if that's a fault with Hero Lab or just my build.

It does make sense - is there something else I'd need to change in the build to make it more workable?

The players were told to initially build out of control characters with either uncontrolled attacks or defenses (we're a group who enjoy storytelling over maxing out their builds and I reward players who don't max out all of their powers and build a fun character) but the aim is to allow them to trade them as they gain more and more control of their powers for attacks - the low will is actually agreed between player and myself as a way of switching her powers off temporarily, dodge will go up I'm sure but at present she's used to little getting through her acid cloud to actually hurt her (she'll learn) and I have agreed that she can hold 1 level back at present to allow for an impressive metamorphosis at some point in the game when she suddenly gains that extra 15 points of powers. Possibly not my best idea but we'll see...

I'll have a chat with the player about dodge or will increasing, thanks. Any other suggestions?

I appreciate its not how most people probably play the game but it has so much story-telling potential I wanted to see how it developed.

Ah, I didn't realize you were using Hero Lab. The Reaction is already "In" the Effects design. So we can just go ahead and forget that part. When I saw you talking about an Acidic Force Field. I wanted to check the design on this .

I am unsure excctly about the concept or original plan with this ability. But I do not think this is working exactly as you wanted. The cloud area is going to provide that protection through out the area, so anyone inside, is going to get the protection, and in turn, resistance to your Aura. This might even apply to a lot of your other power designs. Instead of using a cloud for this, try coming up with a custom limitation. Being a cloud of acid that comes off of her, just say that strong winds can reduce the force field effect. Reducing it by the rank of the winds (ie move object). This is a nice 1 pt flaw. This could also be worked as a partial fades flaw, only loosing the rank during strong winds. A partial flaw, is 1/2 as beneficial.

Return to “Roll Call”