Build Advice - Boost?

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.
dante4242
Bystander
Bystander

Build Advice - Boost?

Postby dante4242 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:16 am

New on the forums. Hi all. I hope this is the right place to post this.

I am trying to build a character and having a hard time with the jump from 2nd to 3rd. I have a character who has an alternate form. She also has magic powers as an array. I want to set it up so that she her magic powers are at 1/2 strength until she is in her alternate form and then the magic powers go to maximum.

The problem is that I cannot figure out how to do that. In 2nd I could cobble it together with boost, but that's gone in 3rd. Linked seems like a start, but maybe not.

Any suggestions?

Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Re: Build Advice - Boost?

Postby Spectrum » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:39 pm

Hi there, welcome to the boards.

Boost is one of those items that didn't translate very well between the editions. There's even a discussion on how to cram it into the system in the Power Profiles book.

My first thought (but maybe not the best) is to use the morph and metamorph abilities to have a normal and a supercharged form, spending your points differently between the two forms. You'll still need to buy the morph for both.

Hopefully, that helps.

catsi563
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Postby catsi563 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:26 pm

Boost can be basically just the fades flaw added to any power possibly with an activation flaw

boost (power) (Flaws Activation (move action)-1pp, Flaw: Fades -1)

also you can add a further limiter to say that the power doesn't fade over time but fades all at once after a certain time frame.

For character with 2 forms a simple alternate form should suffice. Once again done with the activation flaw.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

The Litterbox

http://www.fanfiction.net/~catsi563

Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Postby Spectrum » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:42 pm

Borrowing from HERO and depending on the GM, they might allow a -1/flaw Only in Heroic ID.

Mister B
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Mister B » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:36 pm

Actually look at the Weaken power in the book. And just reverse how it works, from the effect to the extras and flaws.

Another way, could be to use the feature effect with the fades flaw. Each point of feature, is 1 point in a boost pool in a specific power. And you could sorta work the extras/flaws like they are done in the weaken power.

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Jabroniville » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:28 am

How does the character go into and out of their Alternate Form? If it's an easy transformation, then I'd just put a Complication on it that says the Magic is at half-strength unless they're in the Alt-Form. If it's not something they can easily do, then just give all the Magic powers, but use a 1/2 Flaw that says "Half-Power Unless in Alternate Form" or something. So Blast 10 would be 15 points instead of 20 or something like that.

Return to “Roll Call”