Halfling Rocketeer!

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.
Doc David
Bystander
Bystander

Halfling Rocketeer!

Postby Doc David » Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:03 pm

My first posted character for M&M 2e; please be gentle :shock: . You read it right, kids: A Halfling Rocketeer!

Sir Thorian Applebaum, Rocket Knight
Power Level: 11 (165 power points)

*Abilities: STR 30(10)(+10( -- )) DEX 15(+2) CON 12(+1) INT 12(+1) WIS 11(+0) CHA 14(+2)

Skills: Acrobatics 7 (+9), Bluff 7 (+9), Climb 4 (+14), Craft (armor maintenance) 4 (+5), Craft (cooking) 5 (+6), Diplomacy 3 (+5), Knowledge (Shyrean Epic Poetry) 3 (+4), Knowledge (Tactics) 2 (+3), Language (English, Shyrean), Perform (Singing) 3 (+5), Profession (Cook) 6 (+6), Profession (Rocket Knight) 8 (+88), Sleight of Hand 3 (+5), Stealth 5 (+11), Survival 4 (+4)

Feats: Ambidexterity, Distract (Bluff), Elusive Target, Evasion, Favored Environment (Air), Fearless, Improved Block, Improved Disarm, Skill Mastery (Acrobatics,Sleight of Hand,Profession (Rocket Knight),Stealth), Taunt, Teamwork

Powers: Device 6 (easy to lose, PF:Restricted (member of the Applebaum family), Device 15 (hard to lose), Shrinking 4 (F:Permanent(1);PF:Innate)

Combat: Attack +7 Defense 17 (Flat-footed: 13) Initiative +2
Grapple: +12 (Attack - +6,Strength - +10,Size - -4)

Saves: Toughness +9(+1) Fortitude +4 Reflex +7 Willpower +6

Lifting: 1,600 lb.

* - includes bonuses from Shrinking

Devices:
The Family Blade (Easy to Lose): Deflect (Fast Projectiles) 7 (E:Action (Standard->Free),Reflection;PF:AP-Dazzle (Visual,Auditory) 6 (PF:Selective),AP-Strike 9)
Rocket Suit (Hard to Lose): Flight 5, Protection 8 (E:Impervious), Enhanced Ability (Strength) 20, Immunity 9 (Life Support)
Bolt Pistol (Hard to Lose): Blast 8 (PF:AP-Stun 8,Accurate)

Complications:
Conflict (Torn between getting home and staying here), Secret (From another dimension), Honor (Rocket Knight Code of Honor)

Drawbacks:
Normal Identity (rocket suit;Common,Moderate)

Cost Summary:
Ability 18 + Skills 17 (68 Ranks) + Feats 11 + Powers 82 + Combat 26 + Saves 14 - Drawbacks -3 = 165 / 165

Size: Small

Description: A small man 3 feet tall, the size of a child but looks like an adult. He is attractive with curly black hair and blue eyes, with a roguish smile. The rocket suit is brown with gold piping, with a bullet-shaped h. Helmet carved to resemble a falcons head. The rocket cylinders are silver, with the base of each cylinder glowing red when activated. The Bolt pistol appears similar to an arabesque pistol, and is a brass color. The Family Blade is a simple sword with a steel blade and a golden hilt.

Created With Mutagen! version 0.8.7a - beta

One of the stranger members of the metahuman world is the Rocket Knight Sir Thorian Applebaum, a recent addition to the Patchwork, Inc. team. Sir Thorian claims to be a very short man from the small country of Sterling who built himself a suit of rocket armor and entered the superhero arena to fight evil and have a good time. Many people who have met him find him witty and somewhat of a prankster. He works at several restaurants in Milwaukee and Chicago, working as a chef to keep his skills up and stay busy. Serious villains really hate fighting him, for he is prone to insults and dirty tricks.

The truth is far more complex. Thorian Applebaum is not a member of the human race; rather he is Shyrean, a race of halflings that hail from the world called Lunkartor. This world is a Renaissance world with steam technology, multiple races and guilds, and metahuman beings touched by epic magic and the touch of the gods. The Council of Technomancers , one of the newer Guilds, produced the Rocket Knight suit to defend against an invasion from Lunkartor’s Mars. Thorian, the last of his family line, was among the first groups of Rocket Knights to be activated. For his services, he was knighted by the Great King of Camelon. After his knighthood, Thorian began testing out a new Bolt Pistol for the Council, and soon afterward was set to begin training a new era of Rocket Knights.

In our year 2000, a being of great evil called the Godhead was summoned to the European island of Sterling. The summoning rent the fabric of the multiverse. As the Godhead approached the Earth, the after wake of its passage began to rip champions of good away from the alternate earths, as if to balance the evil approaching. Sir Thorian was caught up in this after wake while helping evacuate a city during a natural disaster. The woman he was saving was flung into the arms of a fellow Rocket Knight; he seemed to disappear in a flash of lightning. On the world of Lunkartor, Sir Thorian was hailed as a fallen hero.

Sir Thorian and the other heroes and heroines that appeared on Sterling began to battle the twisted minions of the Godhead alongside the weary Sterling Royal Guard and scattered European heroes. After the summoning was averted, mages tried to send the heroes back to their world, but the residual dimension energy was to great. The summoned heroes could not go back to their worlds. The Randoms, as they were named, were given identities and citizenship by a grateful nation of Sterling. Many of them formed a group called Patchwork, Inc., a non-profit group of superheroes who can support other teams in times of need. Some have joined established superteams, others have went solo.

Sir Thorian usually is as funny and charismatic as he is in the public eye, with a stronger sense of honor than most people think. There are times, though, that he gets rather melancholic from home. During those times he writes down memories of his home or recites the many Shyrean epic poems that he was taught as a child. The other remnants of his past are the Rocket Knight suit and the sword he always carries with him.

The Rocket Knight Suit was crafted for him by the Council of Technomancers. The suit covers his entires frame, with the chest area formed like a jacket for his comfort. Twin cylinders attached to the back of the suit absorbs the surrounding air to fuel the rocket that propels the suit to the air. Enchantments on the armor enhance the strength of the wearer, protects him as well as the strongest armor, and supports his life. The Family Blade was forged by his grandfather. With the blade he can deflect projectiles and summon forth The Keening Light of Marrian (a Shyrean goddess) to blind and deafen his enemies.

Even if he was able to get home, Sir Thorian is not really sure that he wants to go back to his own world. In the five plus years he has been on this earth, he has made many friends and enemies. He has even begun having a romantic flirtation with the faerie heroine Jheira. Part of him hopes he never has to make a choice between Earth and Lunkartor. Until then, he fights the good fight to bring honor to the Applebaum name.

Authors Note:

:arrow: Sterling is an island about 150 miles away from the UK. It has three small kingdoms that created the Sterling Alliance after WWII. The Kingdoms are the Grand Duchy of Dunsania, the Barony of Vulkavia, and the Kingdom of Sterling. Magic is a very powerful force on the island. It is my version of the created nations of the comic books.

:arrow: The Random idea was something I developed for All of the Above, a GURPS APA I wrote for several years ago. As time permits I am translating more of those concepts to M&M 2e.

:arrow: Plus, I always wanted to see a halfling rocketeer. Don’t know why. I based some of my stats off of Joshua Dunlow design of the Halfling racial template. Hope he doesn’t mind.

:arrow: I don't know why I got the cool emoticon in the skill section. Sorry.

Thanks for looking,

Doc David
"In your face, Fatty Arbuckle!"--Pat O' Brien, Robot Chicken
"The Bermuda Triangle is a scary place, dudes."--Nick Carter, Monster Island

Evendur
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Evendur » Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:09 pm

cool build, and the reason you got an 8) was because you have an "8" and a ")" touching, which gives that emoticon. I generally use square brackets in my builds to avoid this.
H.E.R.O.I.C. Member of the 2nd Rank
Owner of a map to Paradise Island

"See this med-pack? See this gun? These mean the only people dying here today are the ones I kill!" -Field Medic, Cyberpunk Card Game

Doc David
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Doc David » Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:41 pm

Thanks for the advice, Evendur. I basic cut and pasted the character design directly from the Mutagen preview page. In the future I will experiment more with character presentation.

I do love me some Mutagen, though. Some bugs, but a fun tool to use.

Yours,

Doc David
"In your face, Fatty Arbuckle!"--Pat O' Brien, Robot Chicken

"The Bermuda Triangle is a scary place, dudes."--Nick Carter, Monster Island

Deadmanwalking
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Deadmanwalking » Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:03 pm

Well, first off, Shrinking is Sustained, meaning that to make it Permanent, you first have to make it Continuous, for a total of +0, not -1, so you're 2 pp over, secondly, Dexterity can be upped to 16 and Wisdom to 12 for free, by dropping Will and Reflex saves by 1 each, and using the point to buy up Wis and Dex (which re-raises the saves). I reccomend either doing that, or dropping Dex to 14 and Wis to 10 and using the points to pay off the above mentioned problem.

That's it for actual mechanical problems, the other issue is that this character isn't really PL 11, he's PL 9 or so. All PL really is is a measure of combat potential, and combatively, he's PL 9. This is easily fixed offensively by redesigning his Blast and Strike somewhat [Strike 5 (Power Feat: Mighty, Extra: Penetrating 15) and Blast 7 (Power Feat: Accurate 4, AP: Stun 7) for example], though Defense will be harder if you want to keep Impervious. There are people who will disagree with me on this particular issue, but it's a point worth noting nonetheless.

Return to “Roll Call”