Howler's Heroes

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.
tm80401
Comrade
Comrade

Postby tm80401 » Wed May 28, 2008 2:03 pm

did anyone note the origin story for her 'white howler' character? (page 1)

Strangely prescient.

Rubber Baron
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Rubber Baron » Wed May 28, 2008 10:28 pm

It is always a terrible loss when someone who is such a bright shining beacon of warmth and friendliness is taken from a community as uniquely close knit as our own. Very few of us knew Beth Holt. We all loved White Howler.

I lost a sister to a drunk driver many many years ago. A beautiful loving member of the family was suddenly gone. There has always been a hole in the tapestry of my family where Lois should have been.

There is an equally large hole in the tapestry of the ATT where White Howler's enthusiasm and encouragement and creativity should have been. If people go to Heaven to become angels, put her at the head of the line.
Steve Perrin
A hero must be practical.

stormangel
Bystander
Bystander

Postby stormangel » Wed May 28, 2008 10:59 pm

The horrific nature of this loss is staggering. I never knew Beth, only nominally glanced at her thread, and yet I feel like I've lost someone who may have been a great friend just from scanning her posts and seeing the friendly sweet nature she enthusiastically shared. So while mourn her we should, let us not forget to remember what she has given to the world. Even things as trivial as this board can be enriching, and she obviously felt a community here or she would not have posted here.

Goodbye Beth Holt. Wish we could have known you more.

Taliesin
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Taliesin » Thu May 29, 2008 1:40 pm

I'm sorry to say I never got to know White Howler better and now, never will.

She was an incomparable source of kindness and enthusiasm. My condolences to those who must feel her loss even more than I do.

JackGiantkiller
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby JackGiantkiller » Thu May 29, 2008 1:48 pm

Ouch. Been offline more than on for a while.

Bye, White Howler.

Anybody got the Punisher's number? I hear he takes requests...

luketheduke86
Hero
Hero

Postby luketheduke86 » Thu May 29, 2008 3:54 pm

i didnt know her all that well, but i do know she always was always very pleasant and had a kind word to say to anyone no matter what...she will be deeply missed :cry:
A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day.

TroyXavier
Comrade
Comrade

Postby TroyXavier » Thu May 29, 2008 4:31 pm

Very sad to hear. It's never easy losing anyone, especially family. Prayer and condolences.
Club Thirteen is Risen.

AmericanYeti
Daredevil
Daredevil

Postby AmericanYeti » Thu May 29, 2008 5:27 pm

I didn't know Beth very well, but to the Holt family, I offer my sincerest condolences. She seemed like she was a genuinely friendly person with other people's happiness at heart. I'm sorry that I didn't get to know her better.
AmericanYeti: Evolution

Come and enter the Yeti's Den!

Geekery wrote:If life gives you lemons, build NPCs.

scc
Zealot
Zealot

Postby scc » Fri May 30, 2008 7:55 am

I am very sorry to hear about this. You could tell she was a very nice person by reading this thread. I lost my oldest brother when I was young to a drunk driver. My condolences to the Holt family.

Swordfire
Champion
Champion

Postby Swordfire » Sat May 31, 2008 8:34 am

With work commitments going crazy I've been away from the ATT for a year and a half, and it feels a lot longer. With things calming down I looked forward to coming back to the Tank, checking out some stories and catching up on the gossip. In short, having as much fun as before. And I find these four words.

White Howler is dead.

Before I started writing this post I was sitting here for almost half an hour just staring at the screen in disbelief. I read White Howler's thread with a great deal of interest due to the great characters she created, but also because of the sense of humour and joy and enthusiasm in her writing - not just in her backgrounds but in simple posts like replies. Once she asked for feedback on a character she'd created and I gave her some, which she replied with thanks and a compliment. I really had the warm fuzzies from Beth's kind words, but what really struck me was that she acted that way towards everybody. I never read a post where someone had a nasty word for White Howler or where she had a mean word for someone else. In today's world that's damn rare.

I wasn't one of Beth's close friends. I didn't correspond regularly with her or collaborate on ongoing projects, like MD Snowman and Pandaman did. I think we only swapped posts a coulpe of times, but the news of Howler's death has hit me like a cricket bat to the guts, and judging by all the comments posted by other members of the ATT on this thread I think we've all been hurt by what's happened. From everything I've seen and heard Beth was the kind of person who had a smile for everyone and who could make anyone smile.

My deepest condolences to the Holt family and Beth's close friends on this board - Pandaman and MDSnowman are the only ones I know of, but I'm sure there are lots more I've missed. I barely knew White Howler and I'm already missing her something fierce, so I can't imagine the depth of the loss and sorrow that her friends and loved ones are going through. My words seem so banal and useless as I write them but I don't know what else to offer.

Requiesat in pace, Beth Holt. I wish I'd known you better. We will miss you, we will mourn you, and we will remember you.
"Death smiles at a man. All we can do is smile back."

Payne
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Payne » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:00 pm

Damn! Damn.
It hits even closer to home knowing how my wife's father died because of the same kind of idiocy. :x
Something that leaves marks well beyond the years to heal.

My prayers go to the family and friends, which, obviously also covers the numerous friends she made here.

:cry:
"He had the voice of an angel!"

Cyrith
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Cyrith » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:24 pm

Oh wow. I just heard about this. I'll just echo what everyone else is saying. Howler was nice to everyone, and that's something that can be quite rare on the internet. She was a talented builder and writer, and I'll miss seeing what treats she came up with for us all.
Maturity is knowing you were an idiot in the past. wisdom is knowing you'll be an idiot in the future. Common sense is trying not to be an idiot right now.

Cyrith's Semi-Originals.
http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?t=19211

PaladinV
Bystander
Bystander

Postby PaladinV » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:37 pm

This is deeply saddening. I'm new here and "Howler's Heros" is one of those threads I looked at almost every day for the past two months along with a couple of others. I've been working two virtually full time jobs since the beginning of May and so have slacked off on the forum alot eccept for a question here or there, I mostly just read before anyway but I was not getting to do that.

I just want to join everyone else in saying how sorry I am for White Howler's family and friends, and for this board. People who display the kind of positivity that this one person brought into the life of this forum are exceedingly rare in real life and even more so, in my experiance, online. Maybe we can get Howler's Heros stickied so we don't loose her legacy on this board due to inactive thread-fall.

Thanks Howler, for everything you dared to be. I hope your family can read this and other posts like it and realize what a powerful person you were to have made such an impression on people who never met you or that you where even aware of. You where a real life super hero.

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Libra » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:22 am

My condolences to the family for their loss. I'm only sorry I could not post sooner.
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

Rule Brittania! Praise the Hoff and the Grin!

Warning!: May cause Thread Drift.

Wordmaker
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Wordmaker » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:57 am

I only saw this now, so I hope no-one minds me posting to a thread that hasn't been touched in a couple of weeks. I feel bad that I haven't paid enough attention to the threads here to see it.

My thoughts are with White Howler's family. She'll be missed.

Return to “Roll Call”